Do you think humans will ever visit a planet outside of our solar system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Once we find the Mass relays. 

CHOASXIII

Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

No, we were created to stay on Earth.

gamerguru100

lol

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

Maybe, but do we need to? 

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Maybe, but do we need to? 

Angie7F

The sun will eventually swallow up the earth.

So yeah.....in the event that humans end up surviving that long, we'll need to find some other system to migrate to.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] He's very religious too. Anyways, we will make it to another galaxy sometime. Its impossible we won't.. Humans have more than a billion years on this planet. Why WOULDN'T we expand? At the rate technology is going, couldn't see it not happening.Wolfetan
I don't think so. Going to Mars is a huge step. Going to a star is not an equally huge step. It's a huge x100 step. And to stars on the other side of the galaxy is x1000 that step and to another galaxy (except for some dwarf galaxies orbiting the milky way) is that step x10000.

Think, in a BILLION years..

Do you realize just how long a billion years is? What makes you think humanity will be around then?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

GrayF0X786

lol

yes it is funny that you are deluded and ignorant, why don't you jump, defy gravity, land on Pluto or something like that and get back to me :) no? instead you breath the in the air around you, benefit from the Sun, use your eyes to see, your ears to hear and etc, you are a fking creation, get that into your head and don't beleive the lies of materials around you,

i could understand how some find it fascinating to leave the Earth some day, maybe that is because you have read too many novels, watched too many films or played too much Mass Effect, that your brain cannot accept the reality that you are on Earth and you have been preset with limitations.

but then again you can keep trying to reach the stars in a civilised sensible manner, and no i am not talking about strapping 0.0000001% of the population of the Earth to a multi billion dollar rocket to land on the moon in an uncomfortable suit only to shove a flag on the ground and tell the world anything is possible.

too late

moon-exploration_1098_600x450.jpg

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"] lolwis3boi

yes it is funny that you are deluded and ignorant, why don't you jump, defy gravity, land on Pluto or something like that and get back to me :) no? instead you breath the in the air around you, benefit from the Sun, use your eyes to see, your ears to hear and etc, you are a fking creation, get that into your head and don't beleive the lies of materials around you,

i could understand how some find it fascinating to leave the Earth some day, maybe that is because you have read too many novels, watched too many films or played too much Mass Effect, that your brain cannot accept the reality that you are on Earth and you have been preset with limitations.

but then again you can keep trying to reach the stars in a civilised sensible manner, and no i am not talking about strapping 0.0000001% of the population of the Earth to a multi billion dollar rocket to land on the moon in an uncomfortable suit only to shove a flag on the ground and tell the world anything is possible.

too late

moon-exploration_1098_600x450.jpg

:lol: did you read my post Sheikh Wisboi?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"] yes it is funny that you are deluded and ignorant, why don't you jump, defy gravity, land on Pluto or something like that and get back to me :) no? instead you breath the in the air around you, benefit from the Sun, use your eyes to see, your ears to hear and etc, you are a fking creation, get that into your head and don't beleive the lies of materials around you,

GrayF0X786

too late

:lol: did you read my post Sheikh Wisboi?

Yes, it doesn't make you any less of a fool.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Eventually yes but not in our lifetimesJML897

this

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
Eventually yes but not in our lifetimesJML897
/thread
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

No, personally I think the human race will cease to exist long before this ever comes close to happening.

Vari3ty
This. And even if we should manage to make that jump, only the rich and successful will ever get the benefit of visiting/migrating to said planet....
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Yes, I think at some point we would as we really wouldn't have a choice if the human race wants to live on. The earth is not going to be around forever, although humans do have a long time to come up with something for travel and to find a suitable place to live.

It does not seem likely that we will find another means of travel besides via a space craft that can sustain life for an extended period of time where generations of humans can live and prosper until the destination is reached. Who knows maybe someone finds a way to get to a worm hole and we can travel through it, but as of right now we are stuck here.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 xscrapzx

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

No, personally I think the human race will cease to exist long before this ever comes close to happening.

tocool340

This. And even if we should manage to make that jump, only the rich and successful will ever get the benefit of visiting/migrating to said planet....

Andd lets be realistic here, do you really see any other way? If the population of earth continues to grow how in gods green earth are we supposed to transport 6 + billion people. It is just not feasible, unless there is a worm hole on planet earth.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tocool340

No. We'll die before technology gets to that level. Fightingfan
Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...

Maybe convert an artficial sun into a means to travel to a different universe...

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. We'll die before technology gets to that level. tocool340
Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...

Well you're an idiot then
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. We'll die before technology gets to that level. tocool340

We can't/won't build a sun....but we can make a dyson sphere, possibly.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 tocool340
[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. We'll die before technology gets to that level. themajormayor

How so?...
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 wis3boi

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="tocool340"] Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...tocool340

How so?...

- you can't make a star

- you have 5 billion years before ours dies, humans will not be around at that point, we'll be dead or have long since evolved into countless other animal types

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GrayF0X786

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Well you're an idiot thenwis3boi

How so?...

we'll be dead or have long since evolved into countless other animal types

the fvck?!?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 themajormayor
[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="tocool340"] Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...

How so?...

Considering the sun makes up >99% of the mass of the solar system. The material needed for a sun pretty much requires us to mooch off of other planets. Many other planets.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 themajormayor

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"] How so?...GrayF0X786

we'll be dead or have long since evolved into countless other animal types

I'm a moron!!!

we know
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tocool340

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]No. We'll die before technology gets to that level. wis3boi

Of course we can't duplicate the sun in size and mass. But I'm talking about creating something that can replicate its solar power. It could be a massive structure that can work as an enclosure for the Earth or a giant light bulb that orbits the earth for all I care. But I think time should be spent trying to figure out a way to preserve this planet rather than attempting to migrate to another before the suns time is up...
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 themajormayor
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"] Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...tocool340

Of course we can't duplicate the sun in size and mass. But I'm talking about creating something that can replicate its solar power. It could be a massive structure that can work as an enclosure for the Earth or a giant light bulb that orbits the earth for all I care. But I think time should be spent trying to figure out a way to preserve this planet rather than attempting to migrate to another before the suns time is up...

You mean like fusion? That's already happening pretty much
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 xscrapzx
[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Hm. I think humanity would benefit more from trying to create an artificial sun than trying to find another planet that we can mooch off of...tocool340

Listen even if you wanted to try to preserve this planet, which is a nice thought, it is impossible. The sun also holds us in the solar system, so you would need something the mass of the star to put in its place to keep us in the goldilocks zone. My feeling is the human race has a better chance of finding a habitable planet than finding a way to preserve the planet. It will eventually die off.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 tocool340
[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

themajormayor

You mean like fusion? That's already happening pretty much

Fusion is one solution I'm talking about, though creating something big enough to act as a miniature sun for our planet will be extremely difficult and would consider it a last ditch effort. But it don't have to be limited to just fusion. We got a billion years to figure out multiple way to get this planet to survive without the need of a sun. I honestly think that's more realistic than migrating to a different planet via a ship...
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 tocool340
[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Listen even if you wanted to try to preserve this planet, which is a nice thought, it is impossible. The sun also holds us in the solar system, so you would need something the mass of the star to put in its place to keep us in the goldilocks zone. My feeling is the human race has a better chance of finding a habitable planet than finding a way to preserve the planet. It will eventually die off.

I think we could probably see a habitable planet through a telescope. As far as getting there, I highly doubt it. It will take perhaps thousands of generations to get there and I doubt humans will be able to co-operate long enough in an enclosed environment to get there in one piece. Not to mention resources and population would probably become a problem...
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 worlock77

[QUOTE="tocool340"][QUOTE="themajormayor"] Well you're an idiot thenwis3boi

How so?...

- you can't make a star

Sure we can. We'll just make a huge cotton ball, send it into space, soak it in butane and light it on fire.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

You guys are thinking too much inside the box.

Imagine you told someone 500 years ago that one day we'd be able to land on the moon. Ok first you'd be burned for heresy, but getting past that I'm sure even the most prominent scientific minds would argue that the amount of energy we'd need to take off is impossible, cannot be done, and so on. Along with other impossible things they just couldn't wrap their mind around.

And you're talking about resources, lack of funds... It's absurd to think the current system (capitalism) will exist forever, maybe we move on to something else. And resources such as food, etc.? Maybe we come up with food "printers", machines that can create organic stuff from its chemical components.

Outright saying we'll all be dead is also absurd. Maybe but who knows.

Everything is possible.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 worlock77

Imagine you told someone 500 years ago that one day we'd be able to land on the moon. Ok first you'd be burned for heresy, but getting past that I'm sure even the most prominent scientific minds would argue that the amount of energy we'd need to take off is impossible, cannot be done, and so on. Along with other impossible things they just couldn't wrap their mind around.

And you're talking about resources, lack of funds... It's absurd to think the current system (capitalism) will exist forever, maybe we move on to something else. And resources such as food, etc.? Maybe we come up with food "printers", machines that can create organic stuff from its chemical components.

Everything is possible.

nunovlopes

And 500 years ago people thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. We have a bit better understanding of physics now (including its limitations). Impossible? Perhaps not. Unlikely? Extremely. Sure it's cool to dream about travelling to other solar systems (or even other galaxies), but to deny the realities of the obstacles in our path is just silly.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="tocool340"] How so?...worlock77

- you can't make a star

Sure we can. We'll just make a huge cotton ball, send it into space, soak it in butane and light it on fire.

Genius!

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

- you can't make a starwis3boi

Genius!

I have my moments.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Well Project Orion in the 1960s theorized nuclear bomb powered space craft that would need between 100 and 1000 years to reach Alpha Centauri, ofcourse all of this was theoretical, but it had alot of weight behind it, it wasn't just blabbering by some lunatic. So generally if something along the lines of the Project Orion craft was built today, it could reach Alpha Centauri in about 2 human life times.

But why would you do this? To reach Alpha Centauri the ship would have to be massive, the Super Orion craft proposed would have a mass of 8 million tonnes with 1080 3000 tonne nuclear bombs. This would allow the craft to house the necessary supplies and also give the voyagers enough comfort.

Also the first crew, who would probably be along the lines of 20-30 years old would spend their entire life aboard the vessel, would have to raise families, and some 2 or 3 generations would never even set foot on solid ground, while another 2 or 3 would be incredibly old by the time Alpha Centauri is reached. And once Alpha Centauri is reached, what will you do there? There is a slight chance that one planet is actually Earth-like, but again, slight chance. If there is nothing there a gigantic ammount of resources will be wasted and thousands of people will die in vain practically.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Someday, perhaps.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Everything is possible.

worlock77

And 500 years ago people thought the Sun revolved around the Earth. We have a bit better understanding of physics now (including its limitations). Impossible? Perhaps not. Unlikely? Extremely. Sure it's cool to dream about travelling to other solar systems (or even other galaxies), but to deny the realities of the obstacles in our path is just silly.

No we don't. Not at a really large scale at least. I mean sure we know much more now about how the world works but in the grand scheme of things we know nothing. I'm not denying anything, I just think people think too much inside the box.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#86 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

A small version of the sun could give us the limitless power we seek. How has the work on building self sustaining fusion been going? I mean they have to use that giant particle smasher for something right?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

A small version of the sun could give us the limitless power we seek. How has the work on building self sustaining fusion been going? I mean they have to use that giant particle smasher for something right?

Yusuke420
I think Nuclear is the best option at the moment, but no one wants to end up like Chernobyl.
Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

Everything is possible.

nunovlopes

It's a lot easier to say this in retrospect since we have a much better understanding of what it takes to accomplish getting to the moon. People back then would understandably be skeptical because they lacked what we now know about aerodynamics, astrophysics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and many other relevant fields of science that made the moon landing possible.

So it's silly to point out how people back then wouldn't have been able to imagine what we've accomplished today, because they hadn't made the key discoveries that made something like the moon landing feasible. It's also just as dumb to say that we're thinking too much inside the box since we're approaching the question of extrasolar colonization in terms of our current capabilities. We can't assume that we'll eventually make some discovery that completely changes how we go about solving our current problems just because it's happened before. We have to be aware of and work around our current limitations first since we have no real way of predicting what sort of future discoveries will be made and how they will impact things like colonization.

This is why it's stupid to sit back and tell ourselves that we'll just find some way to get around our current obstacles without having any sort of concrete understanding of how it'd be done, because that ignores the question of whether or not it's even plausible. Take the 'food printing' machine, for instance: What would be the mechanism behind the arrangement of the organic molecules that make up the food? How would we go about making 'blue prints' for food? How efficient would the process be? How safe would it be for consumptipn?

Saying that 'everything is possible' and that we're not thinking outside of the box is just intellectually lazy and ignores the problems that lie ahead of us.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I have a few thoughts on it.

First of all, it'll be several hundred years before we could conjure up the resources (not to mention energy - DEAR FVCKING JESUS CHRIST -- the thing would be MASSIVE AND REQUIRE SEEMINGLY INFINITE AMOUNTS OF ENERGY) to send a multi-generational vessel travelling under the speed of light (because that is probably the way things are going to go down) to a solar system with other (habitable) planets. It'll be a weird social experiment, too (though it could be tested beforehand, but that'd be weird). Even then there are problems with things like space dust, could easily wreck the entire endeavor (heard a proposed solution, not sure how practical it is, however).

My thoughts are a big: maybe, but, like planet terraforming, it's so far off in the future that commenting on when or how would be silly.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Everything is possible.

Blood-Scribe

It's a lot easier to say this in retrospect since we have a much better understanding of what it takes to accomplish getting to the moon. People back then would understandably be skeptical because they lacked what we now know about aerodynamics, astrophysics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and many other relevant fields of science that made the moon landing possible.

So it's silly to point out how people back then wouldn't have been able to imagine what we've accomplished today, because they hadn't made the key discoveries that made something like the moon landing feasible. It's also just as dumb to say that we're thinking too much inside the box since we're approaching the question of extrasolar colonization in terms of our current capabilities. We can't assume that we'll eventually make some discovery that completely changes how we go about solving our current problems just because it's happened before. We have to be aware of and work around our current limitations first since we have no real way of predicting what sort of future discoveries will be made and how they will impact things like colonization.

This is why it's stupid to sit back and tell ourselves that we'll just find some way to get around our current obstacles without having any sort of concrete understanding of how it'd be done, because that ignores the question of whether or not it's even plausible. Take the 'food printing' machine, for instance: What would be the mechanism behind the arrangement of the organic molecules that make up the food? How would we go about making 'blue prints' for food? How efficient would the process be? How safe would it be for consumptipn?

Saying that 'everything is possible' and that we're not thinking outside of the box is just intellectually lazy and ignores the problems that lie ahead of us.

You

are

my

hero

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

GrayF0X786

pretty big talk from someone whose basic components most likely came from space.

RAW ingredients carried to Earth by meteorites may have been the seed of life on our planet, according to evidence revealed yesterday by NASA.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/life-came-from-outer-space-says-nasa/story-e6frg6so-1225991941243

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Maybe one day but we won't be alive to see it :(

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 worlock77

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Everything is possible.

Blood-Scribe

This is a much, much better version of what I was more or less trying to say.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 GrayF0X786

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

Riverwolf007

pretty big talk from someone whose basic components most likely came from space.

RAW ingredients carried to Earth by meteorites may have been the seed of life on our planet, according to evidence revealed yesterday by NASA.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/life-came-from-outer-space-says-nasa/story-e6frg6so-1225991941243

*Yawn* Muslims already knew this 1400 years ago, keep up :)

Qu'ran 57:25

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

The faster something goes, the more thrust is required to propel it faster, and it's exponential.  It's too much energy.  We won't be able to go as fast as light, but wormholes are probably more likely form of travel

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 wis3boi

The faster something goes, the more thrust is required to propel it faster, and it's exponential.  It's too much energy.  We won't be able to go as fast as light, but wormholes are probably more likely form of travel

GOGOGOGURT

You don't need lightspeed to leave the system

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

wis3boi

He didn't say that it did.

Walternatif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Walternatif
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Probably yes,but I doubt that it will be soon..
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

GrayF0X786

*Yawn* Muslims already knew this 1400 years ago, keep up :)

Qu'ran 57:25

Apparently not since that doesn't mention anything about the subject of that article.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

wis3boi

You're right.  And besides, even if we could travel lightspeed, we would still be pretty slow.  Way too slow.