Will We Ever See Another Donkey Kong 3D Platformer?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts

It amazes me that the first game I got for my N64, my first home console has yet to have any true sequel. Yeah the game I am talking about is DK 64, a great platformer(little to much like Banjo Kazooie but hey it was made by Rare) but the only real 3D Donkey Kong game. Is that not crazy? Pretty much every other major Nintendo Franchise has had multiple "true" games(not side stuff like sports ect.) but DK. Kirby is the only one I can think of.

So will we see another DK 3D platformer this gen?

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#2 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

I say yes, just because... Because... I don't know. :P

For the record, Banjo Kazooie pwnz Donkey Kong.

was49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 was49
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts

Nintendo is supposed to be working on a DK project, but i havnt heard anything about it since early last year...

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
If they do it like super mario galaxy it would be awesome
blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#5 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts
Well if you disregard the DK Jungle beat wii-make, then no. I just find it a bit odd that Nintendo has virtually abandoned one of it's most cherished franchises.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
I dont know. Miyamoto seemed to be against the traditonal DK platformer so we may not see one. I would love to see one though.
DragonxanderPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 DragonxanderPR
Member since 2008 • 292 Posts
Remember, Nintendo is just one company, & most of their all-time exclusives are developed by internal teams, not closely related 2nd party developers. Such Donkey Kong game is somewhat likely (the Wii still has about 4 years ahead to be developed). And aslo, Nintendo usually doesn't announces something until they're almost totally confident it's coming out.
tinkerair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tinkerair
Member since 2009 • 218 Posts
I hope so. DK is awesome!!!
AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#9 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

Well if you disregard the DK Jungle beat wii-make, then no. I just find it a bit odd that Nintendo has virtually abandoned one of it's most cherished franchises.blankshore

Mario and Donkey Kong was where the whole thing started, and now to just abandon DK and make games for minor characters? (Yoshi)

Don't get me wrong, Yoshi is only a minor compared to Mario and DK. Yoshi is still great, it's just that Yoshi was made specifically because of Mario and DK. Mario and Peach branched off from a DK game and then came the other characters.

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
It's hard to say -- I would absolutely love to see it. After the original on N64, that would be amazing. I enjoyed that title so much. On the GCN, he only had titles that were too short or just, like Donkey Konga, so not really appealing to me ... I really hope that he steps back up again. :D
Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts
Even if we do it probably won't be that great, microsoft owns RARE now so even if nintendo announced another donkey kong platformer i probably wouldn't get too excited. DK 64 was amazing though.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheColbert
Even if we do it probably won't be that great, microsoft owns RARE now so even if nintendo announced another donkey kong platformer i probably wouldn't get too excited. DK 64 was amazing though.lex_in_the_moon
Well I am confindent that Nintendo could pull something off without Rare. But they have yet to make a great DK game other than Jungle Beat(I heard it was good) so I don't know. All the Country games were made by Rare to.
angry_fork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 angry_fork
Member since 2008 • 2184 Posts
This gen? No. Next-gen, yes.
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
I do hope that we will get a 3D DK instead of another one using drums.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheColbert

I say yes, just because... Because... I don't know. :P

AjaxNeron
I agree about Banjo Kazooie. Right now I am trying to find a N64 again so I can get the games.
jazzy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jazzy009
Member since 2009 • 46 Posts

maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
Nintendo probably would have phased Donkey Kong out of the picture altogether if RARE hadn't done anything for the franchise. Now that it's part of history, they have no choice but to keep it alive.
Fleeman6019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Fleeman6019
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts
i think it coming the way the wii rolling i think its going to be around a long time which means more franchise's and Donkey Kong would sell tons, but nintendo can only do so many games at a time. And nintendo knows the right time to release games besides punch-out we definitly a few more franchise these year might be donkey kong you never know
awsome8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awsome8
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

apparently nintendo are working on a new 3D Donkey kong platformer that might be like a sequel to DK64. jus hope they can get rare to help them but even if they don't, it should still be good anyway. check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_(series)#Wii . look at the last sentence (i know wiki is unreliable) and here is a petition if you want to sign it (i did not create it) http://www.PetitionOnline.com/dkwii128/

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath
They are probably referring to what Nintendo said when the then Revolution was first unvelied that titles from many of their franchises would be on the console. So Gamespot, IGN and others reported that as a new DK game with the forever TBA date. But I wouldn't mind seeing Good Feel take a shot at a new DK platformer they did a good job with Wario Land, I think they could make a solid 2D or 3D affair.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Well if you disregard the DK Jungle beat wii-make, then no. I just find it a bit odd that Nintendo has virtually abandoned one of it's most cherished franchises.blankshore

Well, if DK jungle beat does well, expect more DK games. New games, not ports or remakes.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I sure hope so. DK64 was pretty awesome and I'm dying to play it again.

Avatar image for kingofcosmos231
kingofcosmos231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 kingofcosmos231
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts

i've never played dk64 but hopefully they release it for virtual console. I have however played the country games and jungle beat and I think even a 2d game (like wario land shake it) with awesome graphics would be cool. Just look at what klonoa looks like and imagine donkey kong.

MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

Hopefully, Jungle Beat was awesome. But if it happens, I expect that it will lack the 'Rare feeling', just like Jungle Beat, which didn't have K.Rool, the animal helpers, but a complete different style.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I am going to say no. How many DK platformers have we gotten since Donkey Kong 64? Zero. When was the last time Nintendo developed a DK platformer? Well, it was before the time of DK64, and before DKC1 back in 1994. DKC 1,2, and 3 were rereleased on some handhelds and the VC, but for actually developed, Nintendo has done nothing since before the time of Rare.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#26 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I hope so. DK is a great character and should stop appearing only as Mario's sidekick or starring silly music games. He belongs on the platforming genre.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Fan128
Nintendo_Fan128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Nintendo_Fan128
Member since 2006 • 4270 Posts

It'd be cool, but it's highly unlikely.

Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Hopefully, Jungle Beat was awesome. But if it happens, I expect that it will lack the 'Rare feeling', just like Jungle Beat, which didn't have K.Rool, the animal helpers, but a complete different style.

MangaPicture

I agree Jungle Beat was awesome but its somewhat overlooked because it didn't involve the rare made DKC characters, I actually think it was great without them because it gave donkey kong the spot light for once and it gave him a completely different world to explore, and i know ill probably get flamed for this but K.Rool is not a very good villain to begin with IMO.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sepewrath
The fact that Nintendo hasn't abandoned Diddy a Rare made character there is no need to ditch the rest of that universe. I think they should make a new DK game in that Rare created universe. I mean Diddy is still as popular as ever so a game going back to the basics of Donkey and Diddy would be solid. K Rool is a great enemy for Donkey Kong, a silly enemy with to combat a tounge in cheek character. He is very similar to Bowser, just that he has more of circus clown side than Bowser does. Like Bowser has always seriously tried to kill Mario, K. Rool is throwing on costumes and parading around in silly persona's fits perfectly with the kind of character DK is. He has always been Nintendo's comic relief, I would love to see the cast of DK, Diddy vs K Rool and his Kronie's(see what I did there) make a return.
Tikicobra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#30 Tikicobra
Member since 2009 • 2058 Posts
I sure hope so. I'd love to see an updated version of Donkey Kong 64's gameplay without the annoying level designs and frustrating amounts of needless items. We probably won't, though, because Rare is owned by Microsoft now.
Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rick_Henderson
Member since 2006 • 998 Posts

I would flippin' love another Donkey Kong Country! You know Nintendo though, they almost never bother to listen to their fans.

Apparently, Miyamoto didn't like what Rare did with the franchise. I'd love to see Retro take over the franchise, that would be really interesting.

Blasting out of barrels, throwing barrels, swinging from vines, riding animals all in 3D. Along with local and online co-op. This game would be so good, why can't you just develop it Nintendo.

Too bad this will never ever happen.

blankshore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#32 blankshore
Member since 2008 • 1809 Posts

They're probably not sure where to take the franchise next. They want to make sure that they don't tread on Rare's territory. Personally I really liked Jungle Beat--I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to that.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#33 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Uh, you do realize that even Shiggy said that DK64 was a joke, right? I hope there are no more DK-themed games. I hate that damned dirty ape! :evil:
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

Personally I really liked Jungle Beat--I wouldn't mind seeing a follow-up to that.

blankshore

same here

Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

I don't think we will. DK isn't a system seller like Mario is, and all we'll ever get now is spin-offs unfortunately.

I hope for the best, but I just don't see it.

Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rick_Henderson

I don't think we will. DK isn't a system seller like Mario is, and all we'll ever get now is spin-offs unfortunately.

danger_ranger95

You clearly weren't around for Donkey Kong Country, that game finished off the Sega Genesis. Donkey Kong would very much be a system seller if Nintendo would actually invest time and money into the franchise like Rare did.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sepewrath
Uh, you do realize that even Shiggy said that DK64 was a joke, right? I hope there are no more DK-themed games. I hate that damned dirty ape! :evil:codezer0
You know that most disgree with Shiggy right? Thats one person's opinion, unfortunately for us gamers, its a very influential person at Nintendo. DK could be a system selling character, he is still quite popular, like he isn't the first name that comes to mind when you think of gaming, but if you saw him on a poster or a video you would hard pressed to find a person who wouldn't recognize him.
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

Rick_Henderson

You clearly weren't around for Donkey Kong Country, that game finished off the Sega Genesis. Donkey Kong would very much be a system seller if Nintendo would actually invest time and money into the franchise like Rare did.

You mean DKC, DKC2 Diddy's Kong Quest, and DKC3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble? The games that featured Kremlings such as King K. Rool, that were developed by Rare...not Nintendo? Nope, I must've missed them!!!! :P

I was specifically talking about DK64, it was not a system seller like Mario64 was or even Zelda unless it wasthe diehard fans (which are a minority). Besides, Nintendo already has their main man in the platform spot. They won't want to over-saturate (is what I'm guessing the problem is) or take away from Mario's sales.

All we'll get is 2nd thought attempts from Nintendo, unless they decide to take a chance...and they won't!

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

AjaxNeron

Completely...

Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rick_Henderson

[QUOTE="Rick_Henderson"]

[QUOTE="danger_ranger95"]

danger_ranger95

You mean DKC, DKC2 Diddy's Kong Quest, and DKC3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble? The games that featured Kremlings such as King K. Rool, that were developed by Rare...not Nintendo? Nope, I must've missed them!!!! :P

I was specifically talking about DK64, it was not a system seller like Mario64 was or even Zelda unless it wasthe diehard fans (which are a minority). Besides, Nintendo already has their main man in the platform spot. They won't want to over-saturate (is what I'm guessing the problem is) or take away from Mario's sales.

All we'll get is 2nd thought attempts from Nintendo, unless they decide to take a chance...and they won't!

Oversaturate the market? There has only been one mario platformer released on each platform for the past three generations, I really don't think over saturation is problem at all. How would Donkey Kong be taking away from Mario's sells considering Galaxy came out a year and a half ago? Also name five platformers on the wii that can compete with Mario? I pretty much consider the platforming genre to be dead. The reason is we're aren't getting an actual Donkey Kong platformer is arrogance on Nintendo's part. They never listen to their fans and try to tell us what we want instead of actually listening to us and seeing what we REALLY want.
TaMuK711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TaMuK711
Member since 2009 • 3367 Posts

I am definitly hoping Nintendo is talking about DK in regard to the "key" IP rumors, after all, with no Donkey Kong, there is no Mario, therefore no Donkey Kong = no Nintendo:p

Lovable characters, great music in all of the DK games, and ability to appeal to kids and adults. I just cant see how Nintendo wouldn't want to capitalize on that in their cash-cow gen.

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
i want it to happen but i don't see it happening.
awsome8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 awsome8
omfg i did some research and it turns out they are making one and the title will is Donkey Kong: Kremling Kountry (thats the working title name)
Rick_Henderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rick_Henderson
omfg i did some research and it turns out they are making one and the title will is Donkey Kong: Kremling Kountry (thats the working title name)awsome8
You're totally lying, but I'll humor you. You gotta source for this game that no one else on the internet has heard of?
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 Skie7
Member since 2005 • 1031 Posts
I think it'd be cool to have a DK action-platformer. I never understood why DK has to jump on enemies. He's a brute and should just wind up a punch and knock the kremlings out. I'd still like there to be some platforming, vines, barrels, etc. but it'd make it different from a Mario platformer if the character could battle enemies as well.
awsome8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 awsome8
[QUOTE="awsome8"]omfg i did some research and it turns out they are making one and the title will is Donkey Kong: Kremling Kountry (thats the working title name)Rick_Henderson
You're totally lying, but I'll humor you. You gotta source for this game that no one else on the internet has heard of?

fine then ill give you a link of where i saw it "http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/index.php?title=Donkey_Kong_Wii_(deleted_23_Jul_2008_at_01:12)"
Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Skie7
[QUOTE="Rick_Henderson"][QUOTE="awsome8"]omfg i did some research and it turns out they are making one and the title will is Donkey Kong: Kremling Kountry (thats the working title name)awsome8

fine then ill give you a link of where i saw it "http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/index.php?title=Donkey_Kong_Wii_(deleted_23_Jul_2008_at_01:12)"

You're using a deleted Wiki page as proof?
awsome8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 awsome8
its better than no proof
gamester_12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamester_12345
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts

Id hope for a new DK platformer akin the same style as the DKC games, and i can also agree that when it comes to Nintendo, they either forget about their minor characters and if they ever don't, they just create lackluster games. (im thinking mostly of Donkey Kong, Starfox and Kirby)

Skie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Skie7
its better than no proofawsome8
It's akin to no proof.