We all know that a DS successor is going to come out so..

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaJoe84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DaJoe84
Member since 2005 • 701 Posts

How can the DS be improved to include more innovations. We all know that it will at least have gc quality gfx.

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AlexandriaZ
Member since 2002 • 25107 Posts
WPA compatibility :D
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
Dont even begin to talk about a successor to the DS.  It wont be at least for another 2-3 years.
weeandi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 weeandi123
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Dont even begin to talk about a successor to the DS.  It wont be at least for another 2-3 years.hiho24
that right nds just come out 2004,and nitendo is focusing on wii right now so nds successor will come about 2-3 years again.
lazynerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lazynerd
Member since 2002 • 1449 Posts
I agree.  I would say atleast 2-3 more years until Nintendo focuses on a completely new handheld.  The DS has tons of staying power left in it and we haven't even begun to see the best of what it can offer.
JPatlakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JPatlakis
Member since 2003 • 141 Posts
Well, since touchscreen has been done, we could somehow take it to a whole new level. Or what if we could install another innovation, like maybe voice recognition. Now that would be pretty cool, but I wonder how that would play out in games. Hmmm......
Corsyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Corsyus
Member since 2006 • 798 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Nintendo already have a successor to the DS up their sleeve, just incase Sony comes out with something new to replace the PSP. If the rumors of the GBE were actually true, I don't think Nintendo would simply stop working on that after seeing how well the DS is doing. They'll probably keep working on it until DS sales
drop, then they'll anounce the new GBE or whatever it'll be called. But my guess is it wont happened for atleast another 2 or 3 years, we just got the DS Lite a couple months ago anyway.
Damn_Badgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Damn_Badgers
Member since 2006 • 92 Posts
I personally hope it is a long time until a DS successor comes out, as if one did I would feel robbed. I just hate it when a new console or handheld comes out and the old one becomes useless, and oyu can't get games for it, etc. In the long run its a good tihng, but if it happens too soon, you just feel like you've wasted your money buying the console. For me I hope that they leave it aobut 3 years so that you have enough time to get the enough enjoyment out of the system before you are ready to move on.
rahzel31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rahzel31
Member since 2004 • 2373 Posts
i hope a successor to the GBA comes out in 3 or 4 years. imagine something like a PSP except better graphics and nintendo games. that would be awesome
nibblink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nibblink
What company has gambled on the release of two next gen systems on top of each other?  The DS has the advantage not only due to the the price difference between it and the competition but with it's backward compatability.  If the Wii turns out to be another N64, Nintendo Can't afford to fumble thier handheld dominance at the same time. The software companies have just begun to figure out what works and what doesn't. 2 years. Thee would be a stretch though.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
TriScreen?
Motion Sensors?
Brain Implant?

Who knows^^
ewatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ewatt
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Virtual Boy re-birth!!!

---DSLite---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ---DSLite---
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
I agree.  I would say atleast 2-3 more years until Nintendo focuses on a completely new handheld.  The DS has tons of staying power left in it and we haven't even begun to see the best of what it can offer.lazynerd
it better be in 2-3 years, I cant afford to keep up!
---DSLite---

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ---DSLite---
Member since 2006 • 867 Posts
I personally hope it is a long time until a DS successor comes out, as if one did I would feel robbed. I just hate it when a new console or handheld comes out and the old one becomes useless, and oyu can't get games for it, etc. In the long run its a good tihng, but if it happens too soon, you just feel like you've wasted your money buying the console. For me I hope that they leave it aobut 3 years so that you have enough time to get the enough enjoyment out of the system before you are ready to move on.Damn_Badgers
my thoughts exactly
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts
I personally hope it is a long time until a DS successor comes out, as if one did I would feel robbed. I just hate it when a new console or handheld comes out and the old one becomes useless, and oyu can't get games for it, etc. In the long run its a good tihng, but if it happens too soon, you just feel like you've wasted your money buying the console. For me I hope that they leave it aobut 3 years so that you have enough time to get the enough enjoyment out of the system before you are ready to move on.Damn_Badgers
This is why I always wait until the console prices have dropped and used games can be bought super cheap. My only exceptions will be the DS Lite (Christmas, but I'm stocking up on GBA games for it already) and soon Wii. The beauty of someone in my shoes is I never had the GC or GBA, so I have a lot of back titles to pick up at a cheap price. Way I see it, a good game is a good game, I don't care what the new or in thing is. Way I see it, if you can't play games on your console beyond it's lifecycle, it wasn't worth the purchase because it mustn't have been anything too amazing. I've had my NES since I was 5 and still love it. Bought 5 games on Ebay tonight for it too. ;)
nekrotaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 nekrotaunter
Member since 2003 • 1480 Posts
only improvement i can see so far is allowing the gameboy cart to fit all the way in so it doesn't stick out at all. but i don't think that change alone will bring people to buy another ds.
O_Rly_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 O_Rly_FTW
Member since 2005 • 2068 Posts
There had better not be a successor right now. I havent even got my DS Lite yet!
jmac777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jmac777
Member since 2004 • 1523 Posts

How can the DS be improved to include more innovations. We all know that it will at least have gc quality gfx.

DaJoe84
Better Chatting Features...(Oh wait that has nothing to do with Hardware...xD)
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

DaJoe84

Actually I expect my DS to last me for at least another 4-5 years, so i'm not really concerned with that.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AlexandriaZ
I am shocked that people thing the Gameboy brand is still alive.

It may be in the USA, but in Japan it is dead. Japan is also Nintendo's main market.

The gameboy holds Nintendo back for a couple of reasons.
  1. It is associated with boys and kids
  2. The console was always about affordability, that severely limits hardware power
If they made a gameboy console instead of the DS it would be way weaker than the PSP because they will design the console around a $99 price point instead of a $150 price point. In turn if they ever made a GBA2 or something, it would still be less than $99 and thus be severely limited in hardware. At least with the DS2 they could add much more power and better chips because they could charage $150 when it launches.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
I am shocked that people thing the Gameboy brand is still alive.

It may be in the USA, but in Japan it is dead. Japan is also Nintendo's main market.

The gameboy holds Nintendo back for a couple of reasons.
  1. It is associated with boys and kids
  2. The console was always about affordability, that severely limits hardware power
If they made a gameboy console instead of the DS it would be way weaker than the PSP because they will design the console around a $99 price point instead of a $150 price point. In turn if they ever made a GBA2 or something, it would still be less than $99 and thus be severely limited in hardware. At least with the DS2 they could add much more power and better chips because they could charage $150 when it launches.
AlexandriaZ

Actually, it depends on your point of view.  PSP like hardware will be below the $99 point very soon, if it isn't already.

Nintendo is not against powerful hardware.  But like you say they want to be affordable and cost effective.  Technology moves fast.  Nintendo prefer to be one small step behind the cutting edge and remain affordable than to ask of gamers to pay outrageous prices for cutting edge technology.

They have proved time and again that this strategy works well (all gameboys, the DS and hopefully the wii are examples of this).  Their handhelds will move to PSP like processing and graphical muscle and beyond when it's cost effective(, and when it can be done wihtout the shortcomings that plague the PSP).

I really love Nintendo for having the strength to stick to this strategy.  It brings me awsome games of all kinds at a price which is not too high.  It makes sense.
jq98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jq98
Member since 2004 • 337 Posts
Don't even say GBE because Nintendo has said that the GameBoy represents old Nintendo. They will not be makng another Game Boy. The DS is now the Second pillar not third.
sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#23 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts
To answer the first poster's question, the new DS could have built-in rumble, tilt functionality like in WarioWare Twisted!, and maybe even built-in Wi-Fi adaptor.

Now, to discuss the future of Nintendo's handheld gaming brands, I would personally prefer a DS 2 than a GBA 2.  The problem is, will Nintendo ever officially kill the Game Boy brand by not making any new ones?  I...don't know, it would be very shocking, but maybe it's for the better.  Will there be TWO new systems, a GBA2 and a DS2?  Maybe; maybe the DS2 could be Nintendo's gaming system, and the GBA2 could also play games but it could have a bunch of multimedia features; web browsing, MP3 player, the works; Nintendo could have a PSP-like multimedia device and a gaming device, the DS2.  Or could it be that Nintendo will keep the DS / DS Lite for many years and release a new Game Boy in between?  Again, who knows.  Time will tell, but I hope the DS continues to obtain more and more great games, innovative gameplay, and maybe a worthy successor down the line.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Built in flash memory or HDD, something of that sort. And in terms of touch screen enhancement, being able to recognise the level of pressure being applied and read multiple touch points at once (not sure if thats possible...) Dolby Headphones support?

The gameboy brand is pretty much gone, I see no reason why Nintendo would keep around a brand like that when you consider the size of the DSs sucess and the various niches its carving. The gameboy brand doesn't have the same good image the DS has. In terms of demographic using the Gameboy name would be a step backwards
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
2 touch screens would be nice. It would make Strategy games much easier.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexandriaZ

The gameboy brand is pretty much gone, I see no reason why Nintendo would keep around a brand like that when you consider the size of the DSs sucess and the various niches its carving. The gameboy brand doesn't have the same good image the DS has. In terms of demographic using the Gameboy name would be a step backwards
Articuno76

Especially when you consider that the DS has the largest percentage of female owners....ever for a console. I think they better avoid using the GameBOY name.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AlexandriaZ

Actually, it depends on your point of view. PSP like hardware will be below the $99 point very soon, if it isn't already.

Nintendo is not against powerful hardware. But like you say they want to be affordable and cost effective. Technology moves fast. Nintendo prefer to be one small step behind the cutting edge and remain affordable than to ask of gamers to pay outrageous prices for cutting edge technology.

They have proved time and again that this strategy works well (all gameboys, the DS and hopefully the wii are examples of this). Their handhelds will move to PSP like processing and graphical muscle and beyond when it's cost effective(, and when it can be done wihtout the shortcomings that plague the PSP).

I really love Nintendo for having the strength to stick to this strategy. It brings me awsome games of all kinds at a price which is not too high. It makes sense.
bugsonglass

Just look at it this way, if Nintendo wanted to implement Dreamcast/PS2 level graphics in the DS when it came out in 2005 it was possible. The problem is that the console had no history and they didn't know that the console would be popular, thus they designed the DS with profitability in mind.

Since we all know that Sony is going full steam with the PSP2 and this time they will "borrow" many of the features that made the DS so popular (dual screen, touch screen) and it will have an installed base on top of it Nintendo has be more agressive. Do you think that if the PSP2 was some sort of souped up DS with high resolution screens that going back to the Antiquated GBA design is somehow better for Nintendo?

In fact, the PSP2 will likely be between the PS2 and PS3 in graphics and can do mind numbing things like Shaders and such. What can Nintendo do to compete? The best hand they can play is the same as last generation, tout cheap development and remain the last bastion of 2D gaming. The only way to do that is to take a smaller step than Sony, by producing a console with graphics between PS2 and Gamecube and implementing a TON of main ram so that they could be 2D gaming powerhouse.
gnarlychar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gnarlychar
Member since 2004 • 3838 Posts
But if it had a ton of ram, wouldn't that be kinda hard to hold?  Might be a little heavy.... :P
Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts
There had better not be a successor right now. I havent even got my DS Lite yet!O_Rly_FTW
Same here.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlexandriaZ
But if it had a ton of ram, wouldn't that be kinda hard to hold? Might be a little heavy.... :P
gnarlychar

Nope, that is because Ton in this context is a figure of speech.

It implies "a lot" or "quite a bit"
thisisjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#31 thisisjosh
Member since 2005 • 2845 Posts
features? well i would have written the exact same things sergio did. those are things that cannot be overlooked as standard features for a future system. maybe even some sort of "notebook" which i've seen some dude on here mention before, great idea.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Articuno76
[QUOTE="gnarlychar"]But if it had a ton of ram, wouldn't that be kinda hard to hold? Might be a little heavy.... :P
AlexandriaZ

Nope, that is because Ton in this context is a figure of speech.

It implies "a lot" or "quite a bit"

Ok...that's just cheeky.

Maybe a built in Nintendpets? Or something like the Mii system would be cool (a Mii family with Mii pets...), Nintendogs worked great...if you could find other people to play with, if everyone had it built in it would give all DS owners a common starting ground
lucifer3999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lucifer3999
Member since 2005 • 2319 Posts
umm..email service? if u could check ur email and send email through the WiFi connector thingy it would be awesom. it would give ppl more of a reason to buy it and it might attract older ppl.
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bretthorror
What's with all the Game Boy hate? DS looks great, but how can you take a leak on the name of some of the biggest selling consoles in history so fast?
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AlexandriaZ
What's with all the Game Boy hate? DS looks great, but how can you take a leak on the name of some of the biggest selling consoles in history so fast?bretthorror

Monopoly anyone?

The only reason why they sold amazingly well is because they were the only competition in town. Unlike the GBA the DS actually has good sales attachments to the hardware.
Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
[QUOTE="DaJoe84"]

bugsonglass

Actually I expect my DS to last me for at least another 4-5 years, so i'm not really concerned with that.

Exactly.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Well the gba came out 01 and the ds came out in 04,so i would say the successor will come in 2-3 years,seeign as the ds is even mroe popular than the gba is/was.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Articuno76
Well the gba came out 01 and the ds came out in 04,so i would say the successor will come in 2-3 years,seeign as the ds is even mroe popular than the gba is/was.blacktorn
actually it makes sense for them to prolong the lifespan, surely?
Tesley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tesley
Member since 2006 • 2022 Posts
I think a new DS in 3 years or so...GB I think is discontinued.
AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AlexandriaZ
I think a new DS in 3 years or so...GB I think is discontinued.Tesley

Think? The massive sales in Japan and Europe all but kills the gameboy.

Not to mention the stigma that gameboy had.
WiiWillRockU12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WiiWillRockU12
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts
as long as super smash comes out for it with wifi and some sort of connection to brawl ill be a very happy boy
Sim_genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Sim_genius
Member since 2005 • 9562 Posts

DaJoe84
This is just soooo wrong... :D
drekula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 drekula
Member since 2006 • 1152 Posts
The DS is an innovative idea.  Making a a DS2 would be overdoing it.  Most likely, Nintendo is going to create a handheld which is innovative, but not another DS.  
gbmistercool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gbmistercool
Member since 2006 • 636 Posts
It would be cool if the DS2 had a built in TV with an antenna, built in wireless internet browser that allows IM's such as aim and msn...or email, built in RADIO! THATS RIGHT RADIO! HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF THAT?!!! hmmm maybe if they replace the LCD screens with plasma screens(you know the really smooth screens on flat screen computers that dont scratch easily), hmmmm and better graphics wouldnt hurt :)
thisisjosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#45 thisisjosh
Member since 2005 • 2845 Posts
GAMEBOY LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bretthorror
[QUOTE="bretthorror"]What's with all the Game Boy hate? DS looks great, but how can you take a leak on the name of some of the biggest selling consoles in history so fast?AlexandriaZ

Monopoly anyone?

The only reason why they sold amazingly well is because they were the only competition in town. Unlike the GBA the DS actually has good sales attachments to the hardware.

Don't kid yourself, the Game Boys all had amazing games. They were rarely the only competition in town. Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Nomad, LCD games, crap like R-Zone, it had lots of competition. The difference was the GBs all had amazing games and that's why they kicked everyone's butts all across town.
weeandi123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 weeandi123
i think ds succesor will have this feature: -bigger screen -shaper screen and high resolution(at least 320x240 for one screen and use TFT) -touch screen now on 3D -graphic will similiar to dreamcast(if similiar to gc the price will become expensive) -camera vga or megapixel resolution -microphone more sensitive -3D motion sensor -new feature that i cant imagine it
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Articuno76
[QUOTE="AlexandriaZ"][QUOTE="bretthorror"]What's with all the Game Boy hate? DS looks great, but how can you take a leak on the name of some of the biggest selling consoles in history so fast?bretthorror

Monopoly anyone?

Don't kid yourself, the Game Boys all had amazing games. They were rarely the only competition in town. Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Nomad, LCD games, crap like R-Zone, it had lots of competition. The difference was the GBs all had amazing games and that's why they kicked everyone's butts all across town.

looking at a comtemporary market, the DS brand looks to gain more strength in the long run than the Gameboy did.
zeldafan139

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zeldafan139
Member since 2006 • 266 Posts

Dont even begin to talk about a successor to the DS.  It wont be at least for another 2-3 years.hiho24

no 4-5 years

AlexandriaZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AlexandriaZ
[QUOTE="bretthorror"] Don't kid yourself, the Game Boys all had amazing games. They were rarely the only competition in town. Game Gear, Atari Lynx, Nomad, LCD games, crap like R-Zone, it had lots of competition. The difference was the GBs all had amazing games and that's why they kicked everyone's butts all across town.

And you don't kid yourself, having a monopoly on the market gives you such a competitive advantage over all the other guys that it was impossible to win even if you had great games. The only reason why Sony is the only person to walk into the handheld market and actually stay around and not get killed by Nintendo is because they went for a different market.