This is why we don't have a headset:

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Ok guys, all of you complainers who say that Nintendo needs a headset, please calm down. Thread after thread of the same thing, and frankly, it's getting old. Actually, it was old a year ago.

If there was a sticky where all of you can go to complain with eachother about the same issue time and time again, a lot of people around here, including myself, would be very happy. But that's not going to happen, so I'm just going to let you know why you haven't gotten one.

Warning, there is offensive content in this link, so be warned:

Why we don't get a headset.

This is how a good amount of "hardcore" online gamers act (I put it in quotations because these kids are not hardcore gamers, just harcore idiots), and it ruins the fun for everybody else.

Now, you'd probably say something like "but you could just mute them noob", at which point I would smack you upside the head for using the term "noob".

Yes, you could mute them, but the fact is that some people don't know how to mute others (especially people who might be new to online gaming), and nobody knows who to mute before a game starts, so chances are that you're going to hear some kid say something inappropriate at the beginning of a match and they are going to offend someone. Nintendo clearly knows this, and with their "everyone from 8 to 80" image, it's not the route they want to go right now.

I know that a headset would be incredibly useful for communication in an online FPS, but there are so few first-person shooters on the Wii.

Stop and think about this for a second: From Nintendo's point of view, what is the point of releasing a headset when they don't even make first-person shooters? How would a headset would be useful in a game like Smash Bros, or Mario Kart? It simply would serve no purpose other than to say stupid things like "Oh my God, I just pwned you!!!" It's pointless, absolutely pointless.

Microsoft has a headset because they make games that need one, and the same goes for Sony. They can see a profit off of a headset, and Nintendo doesn't. Nintendo has always made games that are just pure fun and require no excessive strategy, so tell me, what's the point? In the eyes of Nintendo, what's the point?

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
thank you I just recently experienced this type of thing while playing Halo 3 online with some of my dorm buddies. While a headset would indeed benefit most games, Newman's reasons above can justify why Nintendo is pretty hesitant at the whole ordeal.
Arodjuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Arodjuggernaut
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
1st half is valid and i pray thats not the case with them cuz psyching someone out after a kill is an unwritten law plus u dont need a phone when u go half on a 12 pack
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

Tis true tis true this. Nintendo is family freindly, and such acts as shown in the TC above only prove to them why not to have a headset. Now in other news, MoH Heroes 2 in Australia having it's multiplayer components completely stripped (yes, there is NO multiplayer tab in the game menu) can happily celebrate. As a game that depends on having online is better without it..isn't it...:D

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 awptimistic
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

So let me get your argument straight.

Because some people are idiots when playing online, nobody should be allowed to communicate when playing online.

I'm sorry that most people want to "spoil" Nintendo's image instead of providing gamers something they want.

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 awptimistic
this is why people are stil lcalling the wii a 'kiddy' console. yea we have like 10 ~ 20 games that are rated T and M. so? we dont even have a mic because nintendo is sceptical about bringing in something new that might hurt some lil kids feelings ofr getting called names. boo hoo for them
awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 awptimistic

Quote : Stop and think about this for a second: From Nintendo's point of view, what is the point of releasing a headset when they don't even make first-person shooters? How would a headset would be useful in a game like Smash Bros, or Mario Kart? It simply would serve no purpose other than to say stupid things like "Oh my God, I just pwned you!!!" It's pointless, absolutely pointless.

um.. 360 has mic even enabled for tennis games. i dont think people just say things like ' oh my god, i just aced the crap outa you'. absolutely pointless for a mic? wow.

Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Broc_Samson
Member since 2007 • 522 Posts

Ok guys, all of you complainers who say that Nintendo needs a headset, please calm down. Thread after thread of the same thing, and frankly, it's getting old. Actually, it was old a year ago.

If there was a sticky where all of you can go to complain with eachother about the same issue time and time again, a lot of people around here, including myself, would be very happy. But that's not going to happen, so I'm just going to let you know why you haven't gotten one.

Warning, there is offensive content in this link, so be warned:

Why we don't get a headset.

This is how a good amount of "hardcore" online gamers act (I put it in quotations because these kids are not hardcore gamers, just harcore idiots), and it ruins the fun for everybody else.

Now, you'd probably say something like "but you could just mute them noob", at which point I would smack you upside the head for using the term "noob".

Yes, you could mute them, but the fact is that some people don't know how to mute others (especially people who might be new to online gaming), and nobody knows who to mute before a game starts, so chances are that you're going to hear some kid say something inappropriate at the beginning of a match and they are going to offend someone. Nintendo clearly knows this, and with their "everyone from 8 to 80" image, it's not the route they want to go right now.

I know that a headset would be incredibly useful for communication in an online FPS, but there are so few first-person shooters on the Wii.

Stop and think about this for a second: From Nintendo's point of view, what is the point of releasing a headset when they don't even make first-person shooters? How would a headset would be useful in a game like Smash Bros, or Mario Kart? It simply would serve no purpose other than to say stupid things like "Oh my God, I just pwned you!!!" It's pointless, absolutely pointless.

Microsoft has a headset because they make games that need one, and the same goes for Sony. They can see a profit off of a headset, and Nintendo doesn't. Nintendo has always made games that are just pure fun and require no excessive strategy, so tell me, what's the point? In the eyes of Nintendo, what's the point?

bob_newman

The video was hilarious and 100% accurate to the maturity level of almost every XBL player I have ever encountered. I completely agree. Half the people playing Brawl are going to be under the age of 12 and really don't need to be exposed to this kind of behavior. One thing I do think Nintendo should implement is some kind of "Wii friends" only voice communication so that you can set up games and what not (I have never played a game online though and I am sure they have a text messaging system that gets the job done). When I hear politicians blame video games for violence I turn off the tv but when I comes to online gaming I have this to say: CHILDREN under the age of fourteen should not be permitted to play online games with voice-chatting abilities with anyone they do not know! I have been a firm believer in this for about a year now (after seeing the horrors on XBL). Children who play online games these days are alot more obnoxious, intolerant, ignorant and volgur... I know this from first hand experience. They learn all of this from people my age... and people even older: 20s-40s!!! Its crazy! Plus the Chocolate Milk Kid video doesn't help :P

Sorry my response was so long.

Arodjuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Arodjuggernaut
Nintendo needs to let their balls drop and let people say whatever they want on their headsets with mute button (that dont exist as far as i know)
awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 awptimistic

Nintendo needs to let their balls drop and let people say whatever they want on their headsets with mute button (that dont exist as far as i know) Arodjuggernaut

word.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bob_newman

hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic. awptimistic

Every single time that I've played online, there has been an idiot. And yes, I play a lot of online. I play Team Fortress 2 a lot (great game), and there is always, always at least one brat ruining it for everyone.

Also, I never said that I don't want a headset, I'm saying that NINTENDO doesn't want one for that reason.

Because some people are idiots when playing online, nobody should be allowed to communicate when playing online.

I'm sorry that most people want to "spoil" Nintendo's image instead of providing gamers something they want.

Vampyronight

Yes. That is how Nintendo is seeing it. And it's not "some" idiots. It's a lot of idiots.

Again, I'm not saying that a headset is a bad idea, I'm saying that Nintendo thinks it is.

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pikma
Member since 2004 • 483 Posts
It's kinda weird

One day every thread is about not enough 3rd party support.
the next day every one is about Wii graphics.
and the next day the threads are just about kiddie games they hate, or headsets as right now.
And so on

After people is left with no more original complains
they start over and the list repeats

Come on
Make useful threads
also, if you have complains about something i'm sure there's always someone who noticed that before
so if you see a thread with the name "Wii needs a headset"
DO NOT make a thread called "Nintendo should make a headset"
It's nonsense and annoying
Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Broc_Samson

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic. bob_newman

Every single time that I've played online, there has been an idiot. And yes, I play a lot of online. I play Team Fortress 2 a lot (great game), and there is always, always at least one brat ruining it for everyone.

Also, I never said that I don't want a headset, I'm saying that NINTENDO doesn't want one for that reason.

Vampyronight

Yes. That is how Nintendo is seeing it. And it's not "some" idiots. It's a lot of idiots.

Again, I'm not saying that a headset is a bad idea, I'm saying that Nintendo thinks it is.

Its a smart move for Nintendo. All mics are going to do is get the Nintendo bad media because it will be put under the parental umbrella that the US media has created for "whats destroying America". Brawl and Mario Kart are going to have amazing sales regardless as to whether or not they have mics. Nintendo is simply weighing cost vs benefit.

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 awptimistic
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic. Broc_Samson

Vampyronight

Its a smart move for Nintendo. All mics are going to do is get the Nintendo bad media because it will be put under the parental umbrella that the US media has created for "whats destroying America". Brawl and Mario Kart are going to have amazing sales regardless as to whether or not they have mics. Nintendo is simply weighing cost vs benefit.

no i can garantee you that if brawl had mic features. it will sell WAYY more than when it gets released in USA without a mic

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pikma
hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic. awptimistic

everyone wants it
but Nintendo needs to figure out how to censor those things first
and that's completely understandable
because they have a family friendly image

come on!
people don't react like that online?

have you played XBL at least once?
if you do, then I don't have any idea of why you are saying that
Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
Let the truth be told! I think we can live without receiving idiots trash talking all the time, so I don't get why people really want a headset so we can hear so much garbage out of people. If a headset does ever come out, I think it would be 3rd party, since Nintendo itself has no reason to release one for the kind of games they have, so a 3rd party developer might do it.
Arodjuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Arodjuggernaut
the mic is important if your in a clan of nothing but tactical hustlers bich wii or no wii ho8)
Arkk_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arkk_Angel
Member since 2003 • 787 Posts

Why does the burden of releasing a headset fall on the shoulders of Nintendo? I agree that Nintendo doesn't need a headset for any of its online games.

If other third-party games need or would heighten the experience with a headset then those companies should release a headset with the game. Harmonix and Red Octane didn't wait for Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony to release instrument peripherals before creating the rhythm games and I think these companies are enjoying some success.

Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Broc_Samson
[QUOTE="Broc_Samson"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hahaha this is completely ridiculous. so your telling me that all people react like that online? no they dont. and you dont think kids have 360s as well? kids shouldnt be playing those types of games. I would htink that nintendo would give its buyers what they want. and clearly everyone except you would want a mic. awptimistic

Vampyronight

no i can garantee you that if brawl had mic features. it will sell WAYY more than when it gets released in USA without a mic

I don't know of anyone on the planet who is thinking to themselves, "I am not going to buy Brawl because it doesn't have mic."

Nor is it logical that people would see an ad featuring Nintendo's new mic and say to themselves, "Holy Crap! I must get Brawl now so I can pwn some nubs!"

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

awptimistic

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Anyone that doesn't wanna buy Brawl just because you can't talk online with random people is... uh.. nothing I can say without getting moderated.

Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Broc_Samson
[QUOTE="awptimistic"]

Erebyssial

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Anyone that doesn't wanna buy Brawl just because you can't talk online with random people is... uh.. nothing I can say without getting moderated.

High-five! :lol:

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bob_newman

k so now you know what nintendo is thinking. do you work for them? If you dont like spamming noobs, cry us all a river

awptimistic

Ok, please, "awptimistic", enlighten me: what other reason could Nintendo have as to why they wouldn't want a mic?

If it's not to protect 8 year-old kids who just want to play a game of Mario Kart, then what is it?

I'm just using common sense, something that you clearly missed.

spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts

Name one game besides MOHH2 that needs a mic?

For actual gameplay

supreuph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 supreuph
Member since 2007 • 654 Posts

What would we be talking about playing a fighting game? To say that Brawl needs a headset makes absolutely no sense. Because lord knows that you need to be able to strategize with...yourself while you carefully...beat everybody else on the screen to a pulp. Right.

Yes, there are dummies (aka teen and pre-teen idiots who show their age by how they talk) on XBOX Live. I'm an adult. I feel that I shouldn't have to put up with some little loser's fake repeating-what-I-heard-on-a-rap-album comments just to enjoy a game online. No chat keeps these games impersonal like they should be. Just think about how many disconnects occur because people are getting mad that they're losing. Now add to that the relentless mutterings of some ridiculously idiotic people and you've got people ready to strangle somebody.

No, kids shouldn't be playing these games. But the fact that kids shouldn't be doing something hasn't stopped kids from doing it EVER. Smoking, Cocaine, Sex, Weed, Selling Weed, CDs with the Parental Advisory Warning, Porn, Late night TV shows...and if I think of some more I'll let you know.

I know that XBL and PSN have everybody spoiled into thinking voice chat is necessary, but it's not. I'd much rather keep it like it is as long as the connection is dependable and reliable. To say that it is is to suggest that everybody of every gaming level, the admitted target audience of nintendo, needs voice chat to enjoy games. It's simply not so.

Sorry guy:(

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pikma

[QUOTE="Arodjuggernaut"]psyching someone out after a kill is an unwritten lawbob_newman

Because otherwise the person who loses won't know that they lost? I still don't see any reason why Nintendo games would need a headset.

because every "hardcore" gamer needs to feel like they're better than the loser WHEN they win

(jk)
pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pikma
Nintendo will release a Wii headset when we, gamers, get some education
Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Broc_Samson

Nintendo will release a Wii headset when we, gamers, get some educationpikma

You mean "we" as in the human race.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bob_newman

Nintendo will release a Wii headset when we, gamers, get some educationpikma

Sadly, "gamers" on the whole will never grow up.

I'm not saying that the people saying stupid things right now won't grow up, I'm saying that as soon as they grow up, someone else will take their place.

Tokyo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tokyo90
Member since 2007 • 2024 Posts
glad PSN don't have those type of idiots cuz PSN people barely talk. sometimes they talk sometimes they don't just play the game and have fun.
pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pikma

[QUOTE="pikma"]Nintendo will release a Wii headset when we, gamers, get some educationbob_newman

Sadly, "gamers" on the whole will never grow up.

I'm not saying that the people saying stupid things right now won't grow up, I'm saying that as soon as they grow up, someone else will take their place.

however, i know that what i said it is pretty much impossible
awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 awptimistic
hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bob_newman

bob-newman please shut the hell up already we need a headset for wii and that is that oaktown510

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my God, you just proved my point right there.

shut the hell up oaktown510

Nintendo doesn't want 8 year-old kids listening to you, and frankly, nobody cares what someone like you has to say on your headset anyway.

People like you are why Nintendo doesn't have a headset.

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 pikma
bob-newman please shut the hell up already we need a headset for wii and that is that oaktown510

see?
that's what i was talking about
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. awptimistic

Wow, how many people actually read the thread?

No one is saying we don't want a headset. It's simply about the reasons why we're not getting one.

Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Broc_Samson

hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. awptimistic

I am pretty sure I do not need to prove my masculinity by arguing with a little kid over a mic thank you. And as for the ladies... btw women don't have balls to drop incase you were wondering.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bob_newman

Nintendo can get sued by angry parents who get pissed off because of some annoying kid who used a "curse word" while their 8 year-old kid was playing Mario Kart online.

It's America, don't tell me it won't happen.

Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Broc_Samson

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. bob_newman

Nintendo can get sued by angry parents who get pissed off because of some annoying kid who used a "curse word" while their 8 year-old kid was playing Mario Kart online.

And frankly I don't think the Nintendo devs want their own kids exposed to that stuff. Miyamoto probably doesn't even know a single english curse word.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
There is parental codes to handle all this. Nintendo should take advantage of it.
pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pikma
hey!

I have an idea

why don't you people just go and play Halo?
if you want a headset, well, MS has one right for you

this message is brought to you by

Xbox Live - Explore the world of Xbox live
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. bob_newman

Has MS been sued for something like this? I'm sure there would be a terms of agreement where Nintendo states it cannot be held accountable for such events.
Broc_Samson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Broc_Samson
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. LINKloco

Has MS been sued for something like this? I'm sure there would be a terms of agreement where Nintendo states it cannot be held accountable for such events.

I think it is more of an image thing. They may not lose the law suite but someone tried and for a reason parents would get mad about.

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. LINKloco

Well, I know that Nintendo has made it known that they want to invite every type of gamer, 8 to 80, to play on their consoles with no worries. If they want to stick to that policy, then they can't allow children to hear some of the things that people say online.

Look at it from a concerned parent's point of view. Here is a situation that could very well occur: "I thought the Wii was supposed to be safe for my little Timmy, but then StarFoxFan182 told Timmy that he was a son of a *****, and then said that he ****** his mother in the *** last night."

Nintendo doesn't want that to happen, period.

pikma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pikma
[QUOTE="LINKloco"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

Well, I know that Nintendo has made it known that they want to invite every type of gamer, 8 to 80, to play on their consoles with no worries. If they want to stick to that policy, then they can't allow children to hear some of the things that people say online.

Look at it from a concerned parent's point of view. Here is a situation that could very well occur: "I thought the Wii was supposed to be safe for my little Timmy, but then StarFoxFan182 told Timmy that he was a son of a *****, and then said that he ****** his mother in the *** last night."

Poor timmy :cry:
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
[QUOTE="LINKloco"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

Maybe you should take care of Timmy more and not depend on Nintendo to raise your children. If you can't teach your child to press a mute button or disactivate voice chat then you have no business buying him a Wii in the first place. Buy him a barbie doll, and let the rest of us go on with our lives without having to worry about your child. I personally would have loved to have had voice chat in a game like MOHH2 instead of those lame comments like "need backup," etc. The game would have been so much better. If you don't like voice chat, then don't use it, but don't make everyone else miss out on something that is already common to all other forms of gaming just because you have issue with "timmy."

bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bob_newman
[QUOTE="bob_newman"][QUOTE="LINKloco"][QUOTE="bob_newman"]

[QUOTE="awptimistic"]hmm i guess a whole bunch of people havn't dropped their balls yet here so they are too scared to talk on mics. santiagochile

Maybe you should take care of Timmy more and not depend on Nintendo to raise your children. If you can't teach your child to press a mute button or disactivate voice chat then you have no business buying him a Wii in the first place. Buy him a barbie doll, and let the rest of us go on with our lives without having to worry about your child. I personally would have loved to have had voice chat in a game like MOHH2 instead of those lame comments like "need backup," etc. The game would have been so much better. If you don't like voice chat, then don't use it, but don't make everyone else miss out on something that is already common to all other forms of gaming just because you have issue with "timmy."

If you bothered to read what I said before, I never said that I don't want a headset, I'm saying that this is why Nintendo doesn't want to release one. And I'm also talking about games like Mario Kart, games that parents expect to be family-friendly.

Nintendo doesn't want to have to put "T for Teen" or "M for Mature" on every game, just because of some annoying kid who has to have every other word that comes out of his mouth to be vulgar. Do you know how much it would hinder sales if it said "Rated Teen for inappropriate language from annoying children online"?