The First Bad Review SMG2 -- 'This is kids stuff'

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I just think this is absolutely hilarious. This guy is a clown. Anyway, here are some thing's he says about the game in his bashfest .. er, review.

-"With all due respect to other reviewers, this is kids' stuff. Are you really enjoying this game so much? Really? Really?"

- "Am I the only critic who thinks pointing-at-collectible-stars-all-the-time is off-putting and makes my right hand go numb after a few hours? I think I might be"

- "If I wanted to nitpick, I'd tell you the background music sounds like the bad orchestral cheese they spread over the end-credits of Academy Awards programs"

Clown confirmed. Read the stupidity here

sieg6529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#2 sieg6529
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
Sounds like someone who has a vaunted idea of what it means to be an adult. Which therefore means he's still very immature.
bob_newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bob_newman
Member since 2006 • 8133 Posts

Someone's looking for hits.

I mean that was so poorly written and so obviously flame-baiting that it has to be a call for attention.

I say unlink his site and instead just copy-paste the whole review so his desperate attempts to increase readership fail.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

This one made me lol:

The annoying thing: As usual with the Wii, you hold one hand controller in your left hand, and another hand controller in your right hand. That's fine.

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
I don't mind it if people have criticism for the game, because really, opinions are opinions. But that right there... That's what I like to call a stupid opinion. I mean, really... Complaining about pointing? He might as well be complaining about having to breathe. :|
killB_O_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killB_O_T
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts

Just looking to get his site an extra few hits.

Edit: There is alway one :P

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

Wow that was written awfully. How did this guy get a job in journalism? :|

Jau11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jau11
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

"Doug Elfman is an award-winning entertainment columnist who lives in Las Vegas"

Haha, the guy's name is Doug Elfman! That says it all really. I would love to know what award this guy won - probably an award for the suckiest reviewer of the century.

This one made me lol:

The annoying thing: As usual with the Wii, you hold one hand controller in your left hand, and another hand controller in your right hand. That's fine.

DaBrainz

LOL, me too. Mr Elfman, those 'hand controllers', whatever a hand controller may be (are there foot controllers now?), are called the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Maybe you could try using their actual names instead of inventing your own. I guess PCs suck too since you *gasp* need to use one desk controller with your left hand (keyboard) and another desk controller with your right (mouse). If so, I wonder what you used to write this pile of crap. Maybe you got your nephew Kyle to write it for you. That would explain the level of professionalism in this review.

"But for this game, more than most games, you must point the right-handed wand at the screen for what seems like an eternity, to control a cursor that A) rolls over floating stars (to collect them)"

They're called Star Bits. Stars are the ones you collect at the end of a level. Come on, I'm pretty sure they explain these terms in the manual. You might wanna try reading it next time (seeing as you clearly did not play the game) before you write a review next time. At least then you might sound like you know something about the game.

("Super Mario Galaxy 2" by Nintendo retails for $50 for Wii - Plays pretty fun. Looks very cute. Moderately challenging. Rated "E" for mild cartoon violence. Three and one-half stars out of four.)

All I read before was wand problems and kiddie issues. So now it's pretty fun and a seemingly negative review turns out to be 3.5 out of 4? For an 'adult critic' you sure rated this game highly. In fact, you gave it the same score as your Bioshock 2 review. That's a kiddie game too, right?

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Sounds like someone who has a vaunted idea of what it means to be an adult. Which therefore means he's still very immature.sieg6529

So true! Mario may not be violent and so on, but it really is not "kids stuff", if I had a Wii I would by this game right away.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

lol, what a stupid review. horribly written and the only excuse is its a kid game. oh and he gets tired of pointing the wii remote, and tired of holding 2 contollers in his hands, i mean both of those things are exausting arent they :D. and seriously, is this guy asking for a "red dead mario" mature game or something because he is an "adult"? buy now one would know what to expect from a mario game. and yes mario may seem a little "kiddish" but that doesnt mater to me, i take brakes from all of the mature games on my PS3 and play my wii occasionally, it gives me more variety.

SMG2 is an amazing game

-Almo SSBB

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

"Doug Elfman is an award-winning entertainment columnist who lives in Las Vegas"

Haha, the guy's name is Doug Elfman! That says it all really. I would love to know what award this guy won - probably an award for the suckiest reviewer of the century.

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]

This one made me lol:

Jau11

LOL, me too. Mr Elfman, those 'hand controllers', whatever a hand controller may be (are there foot controllers now?), are called the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Maybe you could try using their actual names instead of inventing your own. I guess PCs suck too since you *gasp* need to use one desk controller with your left hand (keyboard) and another desk controller with your right (mouse). If so, I wonder what you used to write this pile of crap. Maybe you got your nephew Kyle to write it for you. That would explain the level of professionalism in this review.

"But for this game, more than most games, you must point the right-handed wand at the screen for what seems like an eternity, to control a cursor that A) rolls over floating stars (to collect them)"

They're called Star Bits. Stars are the ones you collect at the end of a level. Come on, I'm pretty sure they explain these terms in the manual. You might wanna try reading it next time (seeing as you clearly did not play the game) before you write a review next time. At least then you might sound like you know something about the game.

("Super Mario Galaxy 2" by Nintendo retails for $50 for Wii - Plays pretty fun. Looks very cute. Moderately challenging. Rated "E" for mild cartoon violence. Three and one-half stars out of four.)

All I read before was wand problems and kiddie issues. So now it's pretty fun and a seemingly negative review turns out to be 3.5 out of 4? For an 'adult critic' you sure rated this game highly. In fact, you gave it the same score as your Bioshock 2 review. That's a kiddie game too, right?

lol, it all goes to show how stupid this reviewer is.

FL_Lloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FL_Lloyd
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts
Just click on his name and you can email him. We could all tell him what we think of him. :P
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
the guy just wanted his little 15 minutes of fame i don't think he plays video games less reviews them
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Obvious Troll.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
call for attention
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
He said this is a game that kids and nintendo fans would like. But not just regular adults (aka. non-nintendo fan adults). I think he's right. But in any event that's his opinion. And here we have yet another example of not a single Nintendo fan being able to stomach anyone else's opinion. Just because they disagree with you does NOT mean they: a) are a troll b) are stoopid c) have a stoopid name lolol d) dun no how 2 rite gud lyk me e) hate games Did I forget any of the standard retorts that are usually made? :-/
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
did anyone read how the guy goes by? "the game dork". i need no further read, and i hope gamerankings don't take him as a serious reviewer, much like nobody should ever watch zero punctuation looking for an accurate, impartial and informative review (ZP is awesome, just as long as you don't take him seriously)
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]He said this is a game that kids and nintendo fans would like. But not just regular adults (aka. non-nintendo fan adults). I think he's right. But in any event that's his opinion. And here we have yet another example of not a single Nintendo fan being able to stomach anyone else's opinion. Just because they disagree with you does NOT mean they: a) are a troll b) are stoopid c) have a stoopid name lolol d) dun no how 2 rite gud lyk me e) hate games Did I forget any of the standard retorts that are usually made? :-/

I'd say your assumptions are wrong. I'm 28, Wii is the first Nintendo Console I've owned since the 8 bit NES, and I like Mario Galaxy 2 as much as any game I've played in the last few years.
psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

Yes, I suppose I should play more adult games like COD where I just run around and shoot stuff because that is just so much more mature. *rollseyes*

Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hungry_Homer111
He said this is a game that kids and nintendo fans would like. But not just regular adults (aka. non-nintendo fan adults). I think he's right. But in any event that's his opinion. And here we have yet another example of not a single Nintendo fan being able to stomach anyone else's opinion. Just because they disagree with you does NOT mean they: a) are a troll b) are stoopid c) have a stoopid name lolol d) dun no how 2 rite gud lyk me e) hate games Did I forget any of the standard retorts that are usually made? :-/clicketyclick
It isn't so much that he didn't like the game. As I said, opinions are opinions, and if people don't like this game, that's fine. But it was the way he said it. He spent half the review basically saying "lolz! wut is wrong with reviewerz, reviewing this game that high? it r kiddiez!" If someone doesn't like the game, that's fine, but that was just a horribly written review, so much so that it makes me wonder how the hell someone like that supposedly got some kind of reward. Somebody over at System Wars, who doesn't have a Wii and never played this game, and has a clear hatred for the Wii could have written a review as good as this one. :|
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 haziqonfire

He said this is a game that kids and nintendo fans would like. But not just regular adults (aka. non-nintendo fan adults). I think he's right. But in any event that's his opinion. And here we have yet another example of not a single Nintendo fan being able to stomach anyone else's opinion. Just because they disagree with you does NOT mean they: a) are a troll b) are stoopid c) have a stoopid name lolol d) dun no how 2 rite gud lyk me e) hate games Did I forget any of the standard retorts that are usually made? :-/clicketyclick

Nah, he fails pretty hard.

I'm all for opinion's but if you're so far out and come down to calling thing's 'kids stuff', then I'm going to call you a clown and make fun of you.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I was talking to Haz about the music before this guy wrote his "review"

The music for the game is not good, they do not mesh well. The writer is correct, the music makes you feel like Mario is being played off the stage so the next set of presenters can come on and give someone else an award

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#25 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
I'd be rather be on the side of playing "kids games" than some sort of terrorist activities that involve things all the lines of Grand Crap Auto or trying to make as much gore splatter across the screen as much as possible through a freekin chainsaw or something. I can't stand those who refuse to play Mario or some other franchise because they're either too embarrassed to play it or they've been messed up in the head somehow with outside influtential forces that say "Grow up and let intense violence, language, and the casting of gore upon thy grounds consume you to show you are mature and can handle it." Can't stand them! This is a Wiifan001 post.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clicketyclick
I'd say your assumptions are wrong. I'm 28, Wii is the first Nintendo Console I've owned since the 8 bit NES, and I like Mario Galaxy 2 as much as any game I've played in the last few years.Nuck81
A single exception doesn't disprove a general trend. @Homer - sorry, I don't see it. He explained why he finds the game tiring BUT (!) still made sure to mention it was a well-made, good game. He was wasn't giving it a bad review. He was merely saying that it just doesn't tend to appeal to non-nintendo fan adult gamers, and he gave his reasons for that. I don't see any examples of poor writing. And unlike most other reviewers and people in SW, he acknowledges that something he doesn't like is still good but is just a matter of their personal preference. Whereas everyone here seems to take it as fact that SMG2 is great and if you think otherwise you are factually incorrect. @Haz - Everyone knows that Mario games are made with kids in mind. Sure, adults who grew up on Mario still find it charming, but it is made so kids can play it, and is aimed at them. I think jayson was always saying that, and he was right about that at least. Or at most...
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 haziqonfire

@Haz - Everyone knows that Mario games are made with kids in mind. Sure, adults who grew up on Mario still find it charming, but it is made so kids can play it, and is aimed at them. I think jayson was always saying that, and he was right about that at least. Or at most...clicketyclick

Like many Nintendo IPs, Mario is just another that has a wide demographic, appealing to kids or adult's, much like many Pixar film's.

I don't think you can simply pass it off as 'kids stuff' -- Just like how I don't think anyone should pass off something like Wall-E as 'kids stuff'.

FL_Lloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FL_Lloyd
Whereas everyone here seems to take it as fact that SMG2 is great and if you think otherwise you are factually incorrect.clicketyclick
Which is ironic, because you're defending someone that's guilty of the same exact thing.

But what is it with all the adult reviewers in America giving this game their best ratings of the year? With all due respect to other reviewers, this is kids' stuff. Are you really enjoying this game so much? Really? Really?

His reaction to fellow reviewers isn't much different from that of the people in this forum towards him. He proceeded to make a couple minor complaints (pointing at the screen...?), blowing them up to be the biggest gripes ever, yet gave the game a great score. To say it was poorly written, in my opinion, would be a vast understatement.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Typically, when somebody calls something "kiddy" or "kids stuff" I assume that they are children themselves. As an adult (40something) I really couldn't care less about a game's so-called target demographics. It's simply not important to me. A good game is a good game regardless of who it supposedly "aimed" at. Personally, I find many M and T rated games much more immature than a lot of E games. Go figure...

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]Whereas everyone here seems to take it as fact that SMG2 is great and if you think otherwise you are factually incorrect.FL_Lloyd
Which is ironic, because you're defending someone that's guilty of the same exact thing.

If you think this, and are at the same time baffled how he gave the game a great score, then I think the problem is not to do with poor writing but maybe you didn't read it properly. The whole point of what I'm saying is that he did NOT do the exact same thing. He said, " That said, let's get back to perspective: This is a very good, huge game, with months of replay value for your nephew, your casual gamer, your parents, your Nintendo fanboys." In other words, he acknowledges that it s a good game, but it is not to his tastes. That is the opposite of taking opinion as fact. His reaction to his fellow reviewers is a reaction to their unanimous praise, no criticisms. He was shocked and surprised that no critics reflected his viewpoint. And I assure you that's a viewpoint shared by more people than you think. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say it's a viewpoint shared by the majority of people.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
It's one thing to have your own opinion that happens to disagree and make objective criticisms, but it's another for that opinion to be formed out of sheer ignorance or poorly researched facts. This reviewer is either doing it on purpose (Spike reviews) or there's a very good reason why he's still stuck writing small town web articles that would never see the light of day.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clicketyclick
It's one thing to have your own opinion that happens to disagree and make objective criticisms, but it's another for that opinion to be formed out of sheer ignorance or poorly researched facts. hiphops_savior
Ok I'll bite. Where are the poorly researched facts?
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

The whole point of what I'm saying is that he did NOT do the exact same thing. He said, " That said, let's get back to perspective: This is a very good, huge game, with months of replay value for your nephew, your casual gamer, your parents, your Nintendo fanboys."clicketyclick

Yeah, and that's not even the least bit condescending. :roll:

FL_Lloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FL_Lloyd
"This is a very good, huge game, with months of replay value for your nephew, your casual gamer, your parents, your Nintendo fanboys."clicketyclick
Exactly, he says it's a good game for young kids, casuals, and fanboys. He completely dismisses the idea that people with more than a slight interest in gaming could possibly enjoy the game. ie. almost every other reviewer on the web. Much like people here, as you say, completely dismiss the idea he could possibly think this way. Again, his primary complaint was the fact you have to point at the screen. When actually, as long as you don't care for star bits, you really only have to point when you're playing one of the few Yoshi levels. Definitely not any consecutive three hours causing physical harm, as he suggested. There's no problem with expressing a different opinion and it's great that he can still recognize it's a solid game. It just would have been much better if it was a well-written article actually explaining his grievances and his view of the game instead of coming up with a couple paragraphs similar to what can be found in Gamespot's User Reviews. (No offense to all, some of you do actually write decent reviews. :))
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
As expected, the bad review of SMG2 is an ignorant one. Lmao. Didn't even click the link, not gonna give him any hits for that.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Wow, what a poorly written review. If this is counted on metacritic and game rankings I've lost all faith in man kind. The guy doesn't even know how to organize his thoughts and sounds like a straight up troll.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#37 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Successful troll is successful.

I never thought the 'Nintendo is kiddie' mantra would be used in an actual review, but this guy managed to do it. Good job by all means.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I never thought the 'Nintendo is kiddie' mantra would be used in an actual review, but this guy managed to do it. Good job by all means.

DraugenCP

He had a few good points though

Especially the music

Jau11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jau11
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

Just because they disagree with you does NOT mean they: a) are a troll b) are stoopid c) have a stoopid name lolol d) dun no how 2 rite gud lyk me e) hate games Did I forget any of the standard retorts that are usually made? :-/clicketyclick

Actually, he could have praised SMG2 till the cows (uh, sheep?) come home and gave the game a full 4 stars, but there's no changing the fact that Doug Elfman is a terrible name. I mean seriously. Elf. Man. You can't make that sort of stuff up.

Soko77788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Soko77788
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts

Wow, I can understand if you don't like the gameplay, but how can you dis the music? It's always so memorable and classic.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clicketyclick

Yeah, and that's not even the least bit condescending. :roll:

-wildflower-

How is that condescending? You find it insulting to be grouped in with a nephew, a casual gamer, your parents, and nintendo fans?

Exactly, he says it's a good game for young kids, casuals, and fanboys. He completely dismisses the idea that people with more than a slight interest in gaming could possibly enjoy the game.FL_Lloyd

How did you get this out of that? You're assuming that kids and Nintendo fans only have a slight interest in gaming. That's not true. The only reason you derived that interpretation that you find offensive is by making incorrect assumptions about what he said. It's not what he said.

What he is saying though, is that as an adult gamer who is not a Nintendo fan, Mario seems to be lacking something. I would say that, for me, that something is sophistication. Mario games feel too simplistic to me. But in any case, I, like he, would not deny that it's a well-made game, or that it's a good game. It's just not for me. And that's what he's saying.As for the starbits thing, as I recall in SMG1, you had to collect starbits in order to unlock certain levels. Is that not true of SMG2?

You know, everyone admits that they're sometimes wrong. "oh yes, of course I'm wrong sometimes! I'm not god! That would be silly to think I'm always right!" they'll admit. But in every specific instance of their opinion, you'll find they think they're right! I think we have a case of this going on here. People will say that they have no problem with others having differing opinions on a game they like, but in every specific instance of someone having a differing opinion, they scream "troll", "poorly written", "ignorant", "bad reasons" etc.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Jaysonguy

Especially the music

i'm not gonna discuss if he had a few good points on that sea of unprofessionalism, as i haven't played yet, but i'm surprised you don't sound as shocked as the rest. agree or disagree with the guy's point, you have to admit it was awfully written, even for a forum post. as for the people making fun of his name, look at how he signs his reviews, his professional nickname (lol, "professional") is "Video Game Dork". and BTW... if he wanted attention, he got it. look at the amount of posts talking about him.
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Does this review count towards meta critic and game rankings?

I hope not.....

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clicketyclick
agree or disagree with the guy's point, you have to admit it was awfully written, even for a forum post.BrunoBRS
I think the only reason you find it poorly written is because you disagree with it. Provide examples of poor writing.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

Jaysonguy

Especially the music

no

Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hungry_Homer111
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] agree or disagree with the guy's point, you have to admit it was awfully written, even for a forum post.clicketyclick
I think the only reason you find it poorly written is because you disagree with it. Provide examples of poor writing.

"With all due respect to other reviewers, this is kids' stuff. Are you really enjoying this game so much? Really? Really?" Possibly the worst line I've ever read out of a so-called "professional" review... So people can't have their own opinions?
kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] agree or disagree with the guy's point, you have to admit it was awfully written, even for a forum post.Hungry_Homer111

"With all due respect to other reviewers, this is kids' stuff. Are you really enjoying this game so much? Really? Really?" Possibly the worst line I've ever read out of a so-called "professional" review... So people can't have their own opinions?

"So people can't have their own opinions?"

If thats the reason that you think that line was poorly written than Clickety is right!

Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hungry_Homer111

If thats the reason that you think that line was poorly written than Clickety is right!

kenakuma

I'd feel exactly the same way about that line if I felt the same way as that reviewer.

edit: And just so you know, I have voted down a few Gamespot reviews which scored the game highly because it's poorly written, and had basically the same "What's wrong with these people's opinions?" attitude that he had, if that's basically all they had to say in their review. I just think that kind of sentiment should be completely left out of reviews, let alone "professional" reviews.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DraugenCP

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] agree or disagree with the guy's point, you have to admit it was awfully written, even for a forum post.clicketyclick

Even if that wasn't directed at me, I'll make an effort,

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a very cute Mario game that I would strongly suggest for my nephew, Kyle. It's quite good. On the other hand, I'm going to devote a lot of this review to criticizing the one super dumb thing in it that's annoying me to no end."

Poor introduction. The first sentence is kind of out of the blue, it is not a very strong sentence overall, and if he is gonna put it anywhere, it would be more at the end. He doesn't build up tension anywhere. I also think 'I'm going to do this' is a very poor way to start any article, unless if it's a scientific essay.

Then he continues by criticising reviewers instead of the game itself, which is a bit meager to begin with, but it's, again, a poor way to start a review. If he feels the need to do this, he should do it later in the review, after firmly having established his own opinion of the game. This is still oblivious to the fact that his constant attempts to counter everything the other reviewers say are what you'd usually find in the poorer Gamespot user reviews.

For the rest, I'm not even going to bother. His review is all over the place. There is little to no continuity between the paragraphs, all of which are too short to make a point, and provide poor argumentation as they basically expose the shortcomings of the reviewer himself, instead of describing something fundamentally wrong with the game. His rethorical questions painfully confirm that.

Don't interpret the above as some fanboy attempt to discard a review he doesn't like as poorly written because it isn't compatible with his opinion, though - it really is poorly written. I have no interest in bashing it because it's more negative than the others, if only because I've not actually played the game and am open to any complaints about it, as that's actually more useful than mindless praise. I was even one of the first to criticise the IGN review because it wasn't critical enough, but after I read this review I was just disappointed at how poor it was, as I expected some good points to be made. I am seriously not even sure if this is a serious, or just some lame attempt to generate more hits.