The First Bad Review SMG2 -- 'This is kids stuff'

• 136 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#101 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

You're saying that Call of Duty is for children?

No, that's rated M

Also that has a story, although I'm wondering why you're comparing Mario to Madden since they don't mesh at all.

Haziqonfire

No, but Call of Duty is arguable to be a casual title, as is Halo.

It's just a 'different' type of casual crowd, they're both mainstream (Mario, Wii Fit, COD, Halo etc).

Well yeah but they have a story unlike Mario

I still think Mario Galaxy is the most mature title on the Wii, I've talked about this many times and nothing is more mature on the Wii then Mario.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#102 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, that's rated M

Also that has a story, although I'm wondering why you're comparing Mario to Madden since they don't mesh at all.

Jaysonguy

It's just a 'different' type of casual crowd, they're both mainstream (Mario, Wii Fit, COD, Halo etc).

I still think Mario Galaxy is the most mature title on the Wii, I've talked about this many times and nothing is more mature on the Wii then Mario.

i don't think the story is what matters on their point. anyway, someday i'd like to hear your theory on why is mario galaxy 1 the most mature title on the wii. no, i'm serious! must be interesting at least.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#103 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

No, that's rated M

Mario, got to agree. For Madworld and No More Heroes...we don't want to call them mature now do we? :P But I am fairly certain it's not the story that brings in "the different type of casual crowd" in for Call of Duty or Halo.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#104 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Jaysonguy

Regardless of story, those titles can easily fit the same 'casual' definition and demographic as Mario.

And come on, game ratings aren't even heavily forced in the states. Any kid can go out and buy Modern Warfare 2 and does. The rating doesn't mean it's not kid friendly.

Modern Warfare 2 might be designed for adult players, but the millions of kids I hear on Live doesn't surprise me.

Also I forgot to mention, MW2 had a terrible story, much like a Michael Bay film. Lot's of explosions with some sub par story.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
That's the reason this whole hardcore/casual nonsense is so stupid. All publishers care about is selling a game to whoever is willing to buy it, so they try and make it as mainstream(which is exactly what the so called casual and 98% of the hardcore audience is) audience. That also includes kids, despite the M rating, games rarely have characters express emotions or end up in situations that are beyond anything a 12yr old could understand. All in all, the large majority of games are made to be kid and mainstream adult friendly because that is where the bulk of the audience is. Just because a game looks like Crysis or has a gun in it, doesn't mean its not meant to be played by children.
link027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 link027
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts
[QUOTE="link027"]

Haz Jayson wrote it you should know that

BrunoBRS
pointless trolling? like him or not, jayson writes way better than that guy.

Not really it's just kinda like an inside joke thing
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Someone should have stayed in Never Never Land...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="link027"]

Haz Jayson wrote it you should know that

link027
pointless trolling? like him or not, jayson writes way better than that guy.

Not really it's just kinda like an inside joke thing

well i hope a random mod passing by gets it.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Soo... He basically wrote his opinion about the game? O__o

What are adult games? Blood, gore, anything rated M? Or something an adult can enjoy, a game where an adult can play with or without company.

Vikthorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111 Vikthorious
Member since 2007 • 201 Posts

the only thing i got form this review:

the game is childish, he does not say a reason why its childish, but ill assume because in a sentence he mentions its colorful and because its rated E

pointing at the screen can make you arm numb, wich idk, ive played COD:MW:R like 4 hours straigh, my arm is still good...

and thats it, then he just mentions stuff all over again (in a really messy way, this is the first time i see so many 2 lines paragraphs since school!!)... it really does not describe the gameplay in any way, and what makes things worse, he claims the game is good, but he even fails to backup this statements.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"] Nope, that's challenging their opinions. He didn't say anything about them personally as people. He questioned whether he was really alone in thinking these things, or whether they really enjoyed it as much as they seem to make it out (from a complete lack of criticism.) Questioning a person's opinion: did you really have no problems with this game at all? None? Questioning a person: your post is just poor writing. I'm just going to skim it or not bother reading it at all. Troll! Cmon, you're a mod. Which is the moddable offense: posting to tell someone you're not going to bother reading what they wrote and calling them a troll (aka. flamebaiting) or, questioning someone whether they really enjoyed a game as much as they say they did and have no criticisms for it? [QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Yeah, that's great, but this is not a persuasive essay. It's a review.

clicketyclick

In persausive essays you be chartible and attack & defend arguments. This is a review though. You dont't do that.

trugs26

Maybe I missed the part where it was established that you cannot write a review (an opinion piece) like a persuasive essay. Was it the 11th commandment that Moses brought down from the mountain? Thou Shalt Not Kill and Thou Shalt Not Write Opinion Pieces Like Persuasive Essays Or God Shall Be Quite Irate? Did they put that in the textbook for the journalism class Game Reviewing 101: Proper Formats For Writing Game Reviews? Hey. This guy, unlike most game reviewers, is an actual journalist with an actual journalism degree. Most don't even have that! Most come out of English or Drama backgrounds. I kid you not. This is the guy who got an education on how to write with proper format. And people are saying he's not writing like a Drama major so he's doing it wrong.

I guess you did miss that part. When you're reviewing a game you're talking about the game itself and analysing it for what it is, then giving it a score based off your revision, this reviewer is just wasting review time with an essay-esque style by analysing other reviewers rather than giving amore detailed review of the game itself. His essay writing style (if it were considered to be that way) stinks too, he's not charitable what-so-ever, makes void claims, and hardly builds on his line of thought to construct a strong argument. He makes random out-there claims and leaves it at that, moves onto the next criticism, states it blatantly, and moves on again. With an essay you need to build on that argument more thoroughly. If you're gonna do a review of a gameand write an essay on the reviews of SMG2 then you've gotta do a lot more writing than just a simple 3 page article with some figures stuck on the end. Stick to just reviewing or just writing an essay. Either give me your review based on solid grounds, or give me a proper essay fully describing your feelings on the matter and justify your argument on why you feel this way. Don't give me a half arsed attempt at both at once.

IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 IWKYB
Member since 2010 • 1545 Posts

This guy is just mad cause Nintendo didn't give him money for a good review...

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#114 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, I'm just gonna say I disagree with many of his points. :P

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="clicketyclick"]

Actually, it's proper writing. I just finished a philosophy major and this is how they encourage you to write. In the very first paragraph, state exactly what you're trying to argue. Right in the first paragraph. And this is how not just university students are told to write, but is also how professional philosophers write. Wow that sounds funny.

GabuEx

It's proper writing if you're writing an editorial. It's not proper writing if you're writing a review on a game.

Here are all the things wrong with it:

"Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a very cute Mario game that I would strongly suggest for my nephew, Kyle. It's quite good. On the other hand, I'm going to devote a lot of this review to criticizing the one super dumb thing in it that's annoying me to no end."

Right off the bat, the reviewer basically acknowledges that this isn't going to be a review. Spending a considerable time in a review criticizing one single thing makes for an objectively bad review. The purpose of a review is to give a broad overview of a game and to evaluate it as a whole such that those reading will be able to better make a decision regarding whether or not to purchase it. Leave your pet peeves at the door. Mention them in passing if you must, but for God's sake don't declare right in the opening paragraph that you're going to devote much of the review to them.

"OK, that's great. For kids. And for casual gamers. And for parents. But what is it with all the adult reviewers in America giving this game their best ratings of the year? With all due respect to other reviewers, this is kids' stuff. Are you really enjoying this game so much? Really? Really?"

As if the first paragraph wasn't enough, now we find out one of the dumb things in it that's annoying him to no end, and it's... not even something in the game. He devotes three whole sentences right at the beginning to saying absolutely nothing about the game, and instead looks like he's trying to desperately draw out applause from the crowd as if he's Jerry Seinfeld ("I mean, seriously guys, what's up with those adult reviewers liking this game? Am I right?").

"The big, good thing: There are more than 40 stages to travel through. The universe looks creative and colorful. The planets are lovely. It's fairly easy to maneuver Mario (but not smooth enough, I'd say). The annoying thing: As usual with the Wii, you hold one hand controller in your left hand, and another hand controller in your right hand. That's fine. But for this game, more than most games, you must point the right-handed wand at the screen for what seems like an eternity, to control a cursor that A) rolls over floating stars (to collect them), B) grabs onto things to eat, and C) grabs onto things to zipline up to."

OK, you hate using the Wii pointer, even though that's an integral part of the controller. Fine.

"Am I the only critic who thinks pointing-at-collectible-stars-all-the-time is off-putting and makes my right hand go numb after a few hours? I think I might be."

And now we're back to talking about those weird ol' other adult critics again.

"I don't want to sound like a Mario hater. I'm not. Me and Mario go way back. But this never-ceasing Wand-pointing business makes me want to play a different game in my spare time. I want to stress that complaint to game-makers for future 'Galaxy' sequels. Thank you. That said, let's get back to perspective: This is a very good, huge game, with months of replay value for your nephew, your casual gamer, your parents, your Nintendo fanboys. Also, your adult critics, one of whom called this the best Wii game yet made."

And that's it. That's the whole review. He spends two-fifths of the time complaining about one single design choice that he didn't like, two-fifths of the time awkwardly questioning the tastes of, uh, basically every reviewer in the world, and one-fifth of the game talking about how despite these facts the game is great. I can summarize why this is a terrible review in one sentence: If I were a prospective buyer, and if I had read the review, I would have walked away with absolutely no extra knowledge whatsoever that would have helped me in my decision on whether or not to buy the game. This review would have gotten a poor grade in high school. It's rambling, aimless, and totally unhelpful on every level. The guy has basically abused his position as a reviewer to instead just write a poorly written rant. And that is why this is an objectively bad review.

that pretty much sums it up, great job gabuex. and i am amazed, i posted here yesterday when their were a few posts, i came back the next day to see that their are 6 pages loaded with posts, seriously, is this review bothering you people so much? it was a horrible review like mentioned above, and it shouldnt bother anyone, if you are enjoying the game and almost all the critics who rated this game gave it their best scores then consider the game amazing, dont be bothered by 1 stupid review. i personally dont care for reviews about this game, i use reviews when i needed advice about buying a game, but i already knew this game was going to be amazing so i didnt care, let the mario or causal game haters say bad things, they wont enjoy the game but you will. anyway im gonna leave this thread, no need to waste more time here.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#116 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I am not going to click on the link just because it would be supporting it.

If someone is going to go as far as calling mario "kiddy" its rediculous.

Its a classic, and I bet you its more difficult than 3/4 of the games that guy plays.

FL_Lloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 FL_Lloyd
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts

Well, I'm just gonna say I disagree with many of his points. :P

DJ-Lafleur
All three of them? What, you don't mind pointing at the screen every once in a while? :P
rpgxaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 rpgxaddict
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Everything has critiques. If you don't like it, ignore it. Maybe his sense or idea of games are different from us. Or he just wants a lot of attention.
Wikipedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 Wikipedian
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

A negative review? 3.5/4?

NazzyQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 NazzyQ
Member since 2005 • 1153 Posts

Go Clickety and Jaysonguy, you guys rock!:D

A very entertaining topic.

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
well i think clickey and jason would have a rather difficult time defending this review in a convincing way. I will be honest. I dont like much Mario galaxy 1 or 2. Hell, i have a rather decent game collection but mario games are rather rentals to me. However...I have my reasons. Mario, like bejeweled or anything, is a skill demanding game.Any adult(average joe) enjoys a challenge, from the snake cellphone game to bejewelled.Story or blood have nothing to do with adults(non ninty adults) liking it. The challenge of SMG2 and the raw amount of puzzles keeps up with God of war and actually to me was more challenging. I think the real average adult (like me) can enjoy Mario. I just dont like jump based platformers that much. Even tho i dont really like SMG2 that much, the review does sound condescending.It excludes the possibility than an adult serious gamer that had no NES can love the game.And the issue is that they mostly will(except for a few apples like this guy who need blood and fighting). But this is not some super easy Dora explorer game.It packs a lenghty challenge which attracts a large portion of the average joe.
maverick_41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#122 maverick_41
Member since 2007 • 1195 Posts

So what did he actually rate the game?

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#123 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
i stopped reading halfway through the second page....
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
What the hell are you people complaining about, he gave it 3.5 outta 4 which equates to 8.75 outta 10. That's a very high score.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#125 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

What the hell are you people complaining about, he gave it 3.5 outta 4 which equates to 8.75 outta 10. That's a very high score. locopatho

The fact that the review is absolutely terribly written and almost not even a review at all.

No offense, but the widely-observed tendency of people to evaluate a review solely on the basis of whether or not they agree with the score attached to it is one of the most annoying things ever. A numeric value is basically useless in terms of information someone would need to make an informed decision on whether or not to buy a game.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Why are people bring attention to this questionable review and its reviewer? The review source is not from a high-profile web site.

GingerFlare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 GingerFlare
Member since 2007 • 179 Posts
That's pretty pathetic if you ask me. Seems like a cry for hits and attention more than a valid review. So I won't be reading the entire thing, unless someone posted it...
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#128 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

??

Is this a joke? Because that was REALLY REALLY REALLY badly written. Someone on page 1 asked about journalism but seriously, how did this guy even pass high school? That was just horribly structured.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#129 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I find it funny that he thinks this game is meant for casuals as if it's easier than most M rated games. SMG2 requires much more skill to complete than games like God of War, Uncharted, Halo, and Call of Duty. I know, I've beaten them all.

A soccor mom or casual gamer could easily pick up and play those games I mentioned, but would never be able to get 120 stars in SMG or SMG2.

HawkEye1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 HawkEye1997
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
This guys one of those stupid people who say only mature rated games are good. I hate those people.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

"But what is it with all the adult reviewers in America giving this game their best ratings of the year?"

i even found the keyword in his review =D

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 BrunoBRS

i stopped reading halfway through the second page....slvrraven9

that's about where the "review" ends. he kinda threw 3 articles together.

"But what is it with all the adult reviewers in America giving this game their best ratings of the year?"

Half-Way

you know what that reminds me?

bandit keith... in america :lol:

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

[QUOTE="slvrraven9"]i stopped reading halfway through the second page....BrunoBRS

that's about where the "review" ends. he kinda threw 3 articles together.

Half-Way

you know what that reminds me?

bandit keith... in america :lol:

lol ya, love YGO abridge

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]What the hell are you people complaining about, he gave it 3.5 outta 4 which equates to 8.75 outta 10. That's a very high score. GabuEx

The fact that the review is absolutely terribly written and almost not even a review at all.

No offense, but the widely-observed tendency of people to evaluate a review solely on the basis of whether or not they agree with the score attached to it is one of the most annoying things ever. A numeric value is basically useless in terms of information someone would need to make an informed decision on whether or not to buy a game.

Well the thread title is calling it a "bad review" when it actually assigned a very high score.... I presume it means bad in terms of score not writing quality... cos IGN have some crap written reviews too...
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#135 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

"Am I the only critic who thinks pointing-at-collectible-stars-all-the-time is off-putting and makes my right hand go numb after a few hours? I think I might be."

Jeez man if youre actually getting fatigued from playing the game you should look into taking something called breaks... As well as getting yourself into a Gym...

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts
I actually don't like the galaxy music. It too often sounds like it's trying to make you feel like you're on an epic adventure; I like the old, simplistic, catchy tunes.