Splatoon multiplayer maps- only 2 available every 4 hours

• 156 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

...why? Why have they done this? Is this some sort of beta test? Will it ever pool from all 5 maps at once? Why are there only the same 2 maps every 4 hours, and then it switches to 2 others? Why? What is wrong with Nintendo?

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

Nintendo doesnt understand online, they are learning

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I don't know why. But I do know that I don't care (for now, it might get old as I play the game more). Every time I'm in a match, I'm just concentrated on painting I don't really think about how the levels are repeating.

If anything, at these early stages, it allows me to figure out the levels and get better at them.

Again, this might get old later on. But for now, I really don't care. And I don't know why they made this decision either.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jcrame10

@trugs26: all my problems with the game listed here (so glad i rented this and didnt buy it, its not worth a full 60 bucks IMO):

only 2 (of only 5) maps available at a time. switches every 4 hours. this makes no sense. nintendo is dumb.

only way to communicate with team members is some corny "booyah" text that pops up when you press the D-pad. Can't really team up and stay together because there is no communication. Nintendo is dumb.

Only way to currently play with friends is to join into a friends lobby- already a game going on. Wait up to 3 minutes to join them. the lobby may stay full or your friend may just leave anyways and it doesnt take you with them to the next lobby- I doubt it even has a notification pop up for them on their screen that says "x is trying to join" because Nintendo is dumb.

Game only has 5 maps (2 honestly unless you play for more than 4 hours), no game modes available other than turf war (ranked locked until level 10, other modes coming for "free"), and the single player leaves a lot to be desired but Nintendo wants a full 60 dollars for it here in the US because Nintendo is dumb.

You can't switch gear or weapons while in a lobby- have to leave lobby to do this. So you'll end up leaving your friend(s) or missing an opportunity to rematch someone with new gear. It just makes no sense. If the whole team is using rollers or snipers, and someone on your team gets smart and is like "we need to switch it up"...you cant do it. You cant change anything during or after the match. You have to leave completely, switch, and then look for a new lobby. Nintendo = dumb

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By trugs26

@jcrame10:Sure there are oversights, but using words such as "dumb" is being a bit harsh. Sure you can say you dislike the game, and I can appreciate all of the points you made, but this is their first ever online shooting game. They're going to release updates as they work on the game. Game development isn't easy and saying things like "X developer is dumb" isn't very productive and in fact is discouraging. There are real people who work on this game, and I doubt you'd say something like that to their face, so you shouldn't say it online either. Voice your opinion productively without falling back to insults.

Again, I agree with everything you say. I personally weigh those negatives less, so the game is worth the purchase to me personally. But that doesn't hide the face that these negatives do exist. As Nintendo updates the game, they can also see the general reception of the game and include the feedback in future updates (people will voice similar opinions to yours, so the developers no doubt will see your general message). So here's hoping they include fixes to some of these drawbacks in the planned near future updates.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@trugs26:

How productive and encouraging is it to release a half-assed game?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By trugs26

@Solaryellow: Not very?

If you think it is discouraging, then let them know without resorting to insults. Just like I did to TC.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jcrame10

@Solaryellow: @trugs26:

Oh my god. "This is their first online game". It's 2015, online efficiency has been a thing for 10 or 12 years in games. There's no excuses. Nintendo should hire some real professionals who actually know what they are doing then if somehow, in 2015, this is their first online game and they are "learning as they go".

It's so sad that idiots use this excuse. If this was any other company pulling this, they would get ripped on so hard. But noooo it's nintendo, the most hillbilly jackass company in all of gaming. I dont know what's more sad- the fans who can't think for themselves or the actual poor excuse for a company itself.

Seriously. Get help.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solaryellow

The real insult is charging full price for a half-assed game. Graphically wise it is bad. The game slows down merely walking around the plaza. The online is completely neutered and completely marginal. There isn't much to do in the plaza. If that isn't half-assed, I'm not sure what is.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jcrame10

@Solaryellow: I personally don't think the graphics are bad for wii u standards, the paint really comes to life and looks great. But I'll agree with everything else. Half assed is on point

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

@jcrame10 said:

@Solaryellow: @trugs26:

Oh my god. "This is their first online game". It's 2015, online efficiency has been a thing for 10 or 12 years in games. There's no excuses. Nintendo should hire some real professionals who actually know what they are doing then if somehow, in 2015, this is their first online game and they are "learning as they go".

It's so sad that idiots use this excuse. If this was any other company pulling this, they would get ripped on so hard. But noooo it's nintendo, the most hillbilly jackass company in all of gaming. I dont know what's more sad- the fans who can't think for themselves or the actual poor excuse for a company itself.

Seriously. Get help.

I said I agreed with you. Did you not read my post? You even mistyped the quote. And yet you still go ahead throw insults, but now directed at me. Ease up man. It's just a game and we're just having a conversation.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jcrame10

@trugs26: sorry, I tagged you guys as a response for your both and my comments are just directed overall to the fanboys who will defend nintendo and their antics no matter what. It's just frustrating how nintendo can do whatever they want and make as many mistakes with no flack from their fans most of the time

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trugs26

@jcrame10: Ah ok. Fair enough. Yeah I can see that. The guy over at IGN is a Nintendo fan and gave it a score of 7.9 and listed similar things to you. Hopefully Nintendo will see these kinds of comments.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jcrame10

@trugs26: it's just funny how nintendo can release a bare bones game and get no hate as long as they promise "free" content over the next 3 months. It's amazing how a game is getting scores it doesn't deserve until maybe August. The same people will hate on games like destiny, evolve and the order though for charging full price and lacking content.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
@jcrame10 said:

@trugs26: sorry, I tagged you guys as a response for your both and my comments are just directed overall to the fanboys who will defend nintendo and their antics no matter what. It's just frustrating how nintendo can do whatever they want and make as many mistakes with no flack from their fans most of the time

Yeah, seriously. I'm still taken aback by how some fans vehemently defend Nintendo's decision not to include voice chat. Trash talk is part of the online experience when you're playing with friends and you can BARELY communicate at all with them. You have to go out of your way to set up conference calls or Skype them or something. We should at least have the option of having private chat with people on our friends lists, and for strangers, we can always mute or block. Seriously, how fucking hard is that?

I could get Nintendo's decision if they said the code was too complex for them, but the whole "We don't want people calling each other names" crap is the same kind of pandering and coddling that Nintendo does to their audience going all the way back to the NES days. Nintendo has to accept that there are ADULTS in their audience and should let US dictate how we want to play their games.

I'm going to stop, because I'm really going out on a tangent here.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@jcrame10: If you see "no hate" then you're not looking hard enough.

Maybe some people just think the game is fun and don't care that much about the negative stuff? What good does it do to throw insults and tell them they should be having less fun and hating a game for things they clearly don't care that much about?

As for the topic at hand, I've been trying to figure out what possible reason the developers could have for limiting and rotating the available maps. There's always a better reason than "they're dumb," but I couldn't think of anything or find any official explanation. One reviewer mentioned that it helps you learn those maps quickly because you're playing them multiple times in a short period, but that would only be beneficial the first time you play, not EVERY time thereafter.

Maybe they're using it to hide the fact that there aren't many maps? Maybe there's some technical reason, like their servers are based on maps, so dedicating all of the servers to two maps at a time helps with server load or something.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@trugs26: it's just funny how nintendo can release a bare bones game and get no hate as long as they promise "free" content over the next 3 months. It's amazing how a game is getting scores it doesn't deserve until maybe August. The same people will hate on games like destiny, evolve and the order though for charging full price and lacking content.

Sounds like your just hating cause Nintendo can bank on money by releasing fun content. Save your insults, no need to get butthurt. Evolve was well received by critics even for its lack of content. Kevin, the best reviewer at Gamespot gave it an 8. So yes, they are treated fairly. Also, MANY of the Splatoon reviewers said this game would get HIGHER scores if had MORE content.

@JordanElek: They could be limiting the maps to keep them full or exp reasons, maybe they dont want people camping maps, im not really sure since i havnt played yet.. I think they might short the rotation times if need be. once more maps are available the wait shouldnt be that bad.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcrame10

@iandizion713: you're the reason why a lot of people don't take nintendo seriously as a gaming company

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iandizion713

@jcrame10 said:

@iandizion713: you're the reason why a lot of people don't take nintendo seriously as a gaming company

How bout instead of trying to judge a game by all its negatives, you appreciate the game for both, no need to be a negative nanny.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jcrame10

@iandizion713: or I'll just be a consumer, who votes with my wallet, and not purchase a game that is not worth full retail price

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iandizion713

@jcrame10: Good thing Nintendo was awesome and provided a demo for curious ones to try before buying. I wish other companies would also show as much confidence in their work.

Lord_Magikarp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lord_Magikarp
Member since 2015 • 374 Posts

@iandizion713 said:
@jcrame10 said:

How bout instead of trying to judge a game by all its negatives, you appreciate the game for both, no need to be a negative nanny.

just be negative and positive

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#24 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

No one thought it was so because they wanted people to play many times during the day/week/month

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jcrame10

@iandizion713:

Who knew the demo would hold almost as much content as the entire game. You act like nintendo is the only company that has ever done beta tests before.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#26 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@jcrame10: Good thing Nintendo was awesome and provided a demo for curious ones to try before buying. I wish other companies would also show as much confidence in their work.

The one hour beta? That was a demo?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Solaryellow

@JustPlainLucas said:
@iandizion713 said:

The one hour beta? That was a demo?

Four times or so, right? You want people to try out your game yet dictate a handful of times when people can try it out for a very limited time period? Hell, I thought the 30 or so use demo's on the 3DS were bad.

I'm harkened back to the days when I downloaded my first demo, Bioshock, back in the summer of 2007. Do you want to know how crazy it was? I was able to play a good portion of the beginning level whenever I wanted and how many times I wanted. Insane!

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JordanElek

@Solaryellow: The Global Testfire was for Nintendo to test server load, not to sell people on the game. That was an added benefit (or detriment, depending on your point of view), and of course they used it for a bit of marketing, but it was clearly designed for Nintendo's benefit, not for ours.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solaryellow

@JordanElek:

You just admitted it was also used for marketing. It was a piss poor excuse.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JordanElek

@Solaryellow: Yeah, they spun it as a "TRY OUT THE GAME!" thing because that sounds better than "we need thousands of test subjects for our servers so will you please log on during these times thanks." They could have done a real demo, but they didn't, probably because that would require them to babysit the servers for a week or however long that kind of demo would last.

You can't really judge the testfire against the demo for Bioshock..... They're completely different things.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jcrame10

@Solaryellow: first it's the typical "wow look how much better nintendo is than all these other companies" (in this case, releasing a demo) and then to "well it was mostly for marketing...". 0 to 100 real quick. LMAO

#fanboys

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JordanElek

@jcrame10 said:

@Solaryellow: first it's the typical "wow look how much better nintendo is than all these other companies" (in this case, releasing a demo) and then to "well it was mostly for marketing...". 0 to 100 real quick. LMAO

#fanboys

Either you didn't really read what we were talking about or completely misunderstood what I was saying. Or you just see what you want to see.

I don't own Splatoon or even plan on buying it, unless I can find an amazing deal (like less than $20) after the entire game is implemented. Stop looking for fanboys everywhere and just read what we're saying.

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

#fanboys

TC has poor reading comprehension.

Why?

Because TC is dumb.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@jcrame10: just sell your wiiU and leave crybaby.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Nintendo is still struggling with this dang new fangled "internet".

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KBFloYd

@Buckhannah said:

did you buy splatoon?

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@Buckhannah said:

did you buy splatoon?

I'm on the fence still right now, which is fine, gives me a few more days to wax off AVGN Adventures. Plus my track record this gen with most sixty dollar retail games on every platform is one of constant let downs and disappointment. So I'm not in a rush to spend money.

Nintendo struggling to implement basic expected features for any online game is not very encouraging though. They need to hire people who have experience with this stuff, it would certainly be less embarrassing than watching a major gaming company struggle to match the standards of 2001 in 2015.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KBFloYd

@Buckhannah said:
@KBFloYd said:
@Buckhannah said:

did you buy splatoon?

I'm on the fence still right now, which is fine, gives me a few more days to wax off AVGN Adventures. Plus my track record this gen with most sixty dollar retail games on every platform is one of constant let downs and disappointment. So I'm not in a rush to spend money.

Nintendo struggling to implement basic expected features for any online game is not very encouraging though. They need to hire people who have experience with this stuff, it would certainly be less embarrassing than watching a major gaming company struggle to match the standards of 2001 in 2015.

how so you just came into the splatoon thread to agree with the idiot without playing the game?... ok

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jcrame10

@KBFloYd: Get the **** off my thread. Go do something productive, like call more people "penis fairies" inside of System Wars. You're taken a bit more as a joke there, and maybe you'll find some sort of self worth, maggot. Seriously. **** off.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jcrame10

@fishpockets said:
@jcrame10 said:

#fanboys

TC has poor reading comprehension.

Why?

Because TC is dumb.

@iandizion713 said:

but then

@JordanElek said:

@Solaryellow: The Global Testfire was for Nintendo to test server load, not to sell people on the game. That was an added benefit (or detriment, depending on your point of view), and of course they used it for a bit of marketing, but it was clearly designed for Nintendo's benefit, not for ours.

yeah, im dumb because some shit you guys said backfired. oops. i wasnt even the first to call you out. the @Solaryellow guy was.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KBFloYd

@jcrame10 said:

@KBFloYd: Get the **** off my thread. Go do something productive, like call more people "penis fairies" inside of System Wars. You're taken a bit more as a joke there, and maybe you'll find some sort of self worth, maggot. Seriously. **** off.

just sell your wiiU. you complaining little bitch.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jcrame10

@KBFloYd: so penis fairy > complaining little bitch or penis fairy < complaining little bitch?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jcrame10

@KBFloYd:

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KBFloYd

@jcrame10 said:

@KBFloYd: so penis fairy > complaining little bitch or penis fairy < complaining little bitch?

i see my system wars meltdowns precede me....

just sell your wiiU bro...seriously..PLEASE

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jcrame10

Someone...anyone...please sticky this image. Im begging you.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JordanElek

@jcrame10 said:

but then

yeah, im dumb because some shit you guys said backfired. oops. i wasnt even the first to call you out. the @Solaryellow guy was.

...what?

I said Nintendo SPUN the testfire as a way for WiiU owners to try the game out when the real reason for it was for Nintendo to test their servers.

Let me say that another way: 99% of the purpose of the testfire was for Nintendo to test server load, but since that requires a huge number of potential consumers, they used that opportunity for some MINOR marketing in the way they worded everything surrounding it.

One more time: Nintendo needed to test their servers. Instead of saying, "HEY! Come test our servers for us for free!", they said, "HEY! Come try out this fresh new game we made!" because the latter sounds a little more appealing.

And you interpret that as "mostly marketing"?

I was hoping you had just misread my post, but now I don't know. If you still don't get it after this, then I don't even know. Just say you misread it. ;p

fishpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fishpockets
Member since 2014 • 361 Posts

@jcrame10: I hope you're some 13 year old kid, it'd be embarrassing if you're any older than that.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jcrame10

@JordanElek: I'm not the one who said it. Just repeating what you guys said. Nintendo is all high and mighty and does so much for the gamer, like releasing "demos". But then when that goes under fire, it's something else entirely.

IMO, the test fire was definitely a way to test servers, but it was done in a bad way. They should have expected errors when you have everyone trying to log on at once instead of allowing a 24 or 48 hour play period. Any company that gives a set time for players that they have to test the game, is dumb. But it's Nintendo, I've learned to expect nothing less.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JordanElek

@jcrame10: I have no idea what you're talking about. *shrugs*

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jcrame10

@JordanElek: Nevermind. This thread has nothing to do about a demo that came and went and is irrelevant now that the game is out, anyways :) The topic at hand is the lack of content for a 60 dollar game.

oh, and the annoyance of only 2 maps at once. In all the excitement, I forgot that was a thing.