Report: Chinese Kids Were Used to Manufacture the Wii U

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bronze_earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 bronze_earth
Member since 2011 • 112 Posts

I just read this article today and quickly went to Game to cancel my pre-order.

I find this unacceptable having 14 year old's made to put a console together just so I can play games.I have done the correct thing by canceling this in my own opinion. I think you guys need to have a look at this at least..

http://kotaku.com/5952422/report-chinese-kids-were-used-to-manufacture-the-wii-u

TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

Nintendo, made by kids for kids!

Great slogan and it's true :) But seriosuly this is too bad, I hope Nintendo will clean up its act.

bronze_earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bronze_earth
Member since 2011 • 112 Posts

Well its a shame,i never thought I would have a judgment to make morally about owning a console but now I do I guess,this has also been on CNN so its not just on Kotaku its a fact. that's the unsettling nature of it. I thought I was over reacting at first but it turns my stomach to think I would now own a wii u. Now all we have to do is wait for china to start producing soylent green.

Jut because this does go on all over the world does not give it an excuse its when its collaborated to be true and it then hits you as you become aware of it.pretty sad indeed. I was so looking forwards to buying this console as well.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Forced to work overtime in order to stay in school? That's ****ed up. :|

This will definitely hinder sales. I just hope this is a mistranslation/misunderstanding and that the Wii U is manufactured in a totally different Foxconn plant without child labor.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34614 Posts
That's lame if true. But I need a Wii-U. Sorry kids..
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Wish I could of had a job when I was a child. Just pay me in Console and games and I would had been very happy.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

Great slogan and it's true :) But seriosuly this is too bad, I hope Nintendo will clean up its act.

TommyBarban

Uh, don't just blame Nintendo. Foxconn, and those schools get the blame as well.

And BOY, System Wars (or gamers in general at this point) is going to have a field day with this one.

Me and my big mouth...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts
Tell me, there isn't another glitch. :|
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts
You might as well cancel just about anything that your are about to buy today. Unfortunately that's just the way things are made nowadays, from shirts, shoes ect.
jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

It´s so sad. A kid making console he will never enjoy...but it will make happy some western boy :cry:

TommyBarban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TommyBarban
Member since 2012 • 653 Posts

[QUOTE="TommyBarban"]

nintendoboy16

Uh, don't just blame Nintendo. Foxconn, and those schools get the blame as well.

And BOY, System Wars (or gamers in general at this point) is going to have a field day with this one.

Me and my big mouth...

Yes, great idea, I am startng a thread in SW, see what it will unleash, let the experiment begin!

Zodiac_attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zodiac_attack
Member since 2006 • 618 Posts

Bahahahahaa you guys got suckered into that lol. Guys the knock off fake not athentic merch. in other words the clone controllers out there. are not made by nintendo. nintendo uses machine soildering on there merch. and the wii u was manufactured by the same company that makes xboxs so just wanna say if that was true u might as well stop buying xbox stuff

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
You need to go home and clean out your house, then. Chances are about half your stuff was made by underpaid Chinese labor, which includes children in many instances.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#14 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
You need to go home and clean out your house, then. Chances are about half your stuff was made by underpaid Chinese labor, which includes children in many instances.SteveTabernacle
True dat.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#15 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Like I said in SW, Shouldn't you be mad at China? You have 2 people. One asks the other to do a job; the one who accepted the job forces their little brothers and sisters to do it for him. Who are you going to get mad at? The person who asked to get the job done? Or the one who forced their little siblings to do the job?
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Cheap labour and child labour are common practices. A lot of your products at home were probably made in China by children.
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

So are almost every other product made in China. Might as well not game then at all.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

You need to go home and clean out your house, then. Chances are about half your stuff was made by underpaid Chinese labor, which includes children in many instances.SteveTabernacle

So are almost every other product made in China. Might as well not game then at all.GamerEye

These. If people are going to foolishly boycott the Wii U or 3DS made from Foxconn, then they might as well boycott other products made by them as well. Where do you think that PS3's, PS Vita's, etc. gets made? Foxconn. Where do Apple's products such as iPods, iPads, Macbooks, iPhones, etc. gets made? Foxconn.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
i don't see the problem. isn't that the reason china exists? [spoiler] obvious joke... [/spoiler]
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

To be fair they aren't "kids" their teenagers. This happens in pretty much every place in China aged 14 to 16 is the norm.

Edit: Also this isn't necesserally Nintendo fault. Foxconn is the one that people should be blaming but once again people are stupid and are probably going to bash Nintendo. Foxconn also produces products for Apple I read this in the Montreal Gazette. Nintendo wasn't even mentioned in their article.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChikaraShref

To be fair they aren't "kids" their teenagers. This happens in pretty much every place in China aged 14 to 16 is the norm.

Vickman178
kids is a term often used to describe anyone under 18...
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
i need my wii u, and u guys do realize this isn't nintendo's fault completely, they could have had people go see how old the workers were at that factory and also its that factories problem cuz they are the ones doing the hiring..
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vickman178

Also I just looked up Foxconn and they also produce both Xbox 360's and PS3's along with pretty much every Apple product and the Amazon Kindle..... Not just Nintendo's stuff here!

foxfacer2d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxfacer2d2
Member since 2010 • 570 Posts

aren't all devices are manufactured there because it is cheap? the notorious foxxcon workers even commited suicide because the working conditions and they made some apple stuffs.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

I find this unacceptable having 14 year old's made to put a console together just so I can play games.I have done the correct thing by canceling this in my own opinion. I think you guys need to have a look at this at least..

http://kotaku.com/5952422/report-chinese-kids-were-used-to-manufacture-the-wii-u

bronze_earth
Hey, if enough people cancel, I might be able to get my preorder in!
SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
Woop de doo, coming from a family that drove trucks for a living at t he beginning of age 13, until we came to America, this is the norm for the world!
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

I find this unacceptable having 14 year old's made to put a console together just so I can play games.I have done the correct thing by canceling this in my own opinion.

bronze_earth
Oh please, get off the soap box. There is a high probability that the computer or phone you used to post that message was made with child labor. That's just the way of the world, companies outside of the western world will do things like that, if your so overly concerned about that, don't use any products not 100% manufactured in America. Not condoning it or saying its right, but the real reality is, your just never going to know; you cant sit back and support it by playing ignorant, then have a knee jerk response when you hear a company is using a different company, that was reported to use child labor. Unless you never use another product manufactured from outside America, your a hypocrite.
Id_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Id_basic
Member since 2002 • 817 Posts
If Nintendo didn't have knowledge of it and didn't encourage it and makes sure that it doesn't happen again , not a problem in my eyes. Foxconn's Yantai factor is the one who takes responsibility for it.
shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
You do realise Foxconn manufacture products for pretty much every electronics company you could think of. If you cancelled your Wii U preorder you might as well clear your house of any electrical goods as well.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#30 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Foxconn also makes products for Apple, Sony, and Microsoft. The practice was likely done without Nintendo's knowledge.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vickman178

You do realise Foxconn manufacture products for pretty much every electronics company you could think of. If you cancelled your Wii U preorder you might as well clear your house of any electrical goods as well.shearMario

This.

In fact while i'm at it i'm just going to list every company that uses Foxconn to manufacture their goods.

Acer
Amazon
Apple
Cisco
Dell
HP
Intel
Microsoft
Motorola
Nintendo
Nokia
Samsung
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio

There thats just the "major" people, all with the possibility of having child workers involved with their products now because of this company.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I fail to see how this is any different to kids in Malaysia making shoes for Nike or kids in Africa digging coal for the electronics industry...

Adress these issues to the capitalist system and ruling world order...

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts
Not to be insensitive but look around your house... I'm guessing 60% or more of the things in your house were made by Chinese kids. That's just the nature of our world unfortunately. So if you are giving up your WiiU preorder, then you should also throw out your TV, Computer, cell phone, etc..... Most major companies utilize cheap Chinese labor.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

bronze_earth

Are you *(#@&*#@ kidding me?

You come on here trying to pretend you "did the right thing" by canceling your preorder and then come on here to act like you're on a high horse?

What else did you do on the way home? Throw red paint on someone wearing a leather jacket then chain yourself to a tree that's being cut down so you can block the assisted living complex from going up?

I notice that you don't say *(#$@*&( that over there they start military training at age 9.

So you have no problem with a 9 year old being taught how to kill and be killed for the greater glory but *($*&@#$ teenagers who have decidedly cushier jobs assembling devices makes you cry out in disgust?

Also how the *(@#$*( did you deliver this message here? Because the computer or cell phone you're using has parts put together in the same exact way.

Is this your last statement before you go "off the grid" living in the woods taking only the bare minimum to survive?

If that's not the case then you're a hypocrite that's using this story as a way to flaunt how much better you think you are then everyone else.

That's great if it makes you sleep better at night but the rest of us aren't buying it.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Hahahaha well good thing im a heartless bastard. I cant stand kids they piss me off so freaking much. This doesnt change anything. Nintendo could have murdered millions of dolphins or animals in general. Nintendo still gets my money.

After reading it it says they were 14-16....thats TEENS not kids. Teens get jobs at that age so I fail to see what the issue is lol.

Plus those lucky teens got to see what exactly went into the system. So ask them what that stats on the Wii U is.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

someone may as well lock this topic.Wii U does not need this we already have enough sources of negativity

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

lock this thread...TC is a lying fanboy...he didnt cancel jack.i'm sure of it...just rtying to make a 30 page thread....i'm sure he never even preordered the wiiU...and if he did then no way he is cancelling because he won't get one until 2013

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
wouldn't that lies with Foxconn?..this doesn't have to do with the disputed islands issue that they are having & are trying to make Nintendo a Japanese company look bad?..sounds sus.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Did anybody even read enough of the story to get to this part?

It's also unclear whether or not these students were actually making the Wii U. According to these Chinese sources, they were. Kotaku followed up with Nintendo, but the company did not respond before this story was published. If the company does respond, this story will be updated.The Inept Headline Writer

So he's not even sure that it was the WiiU being made there but runs the story anyway AND puts it in a matter-of-fact headline. Great.

And these "kids" are no younger than 14. I was working when I was 15.... Not 12-hour days with tons of overtime (though at the time I wished I could have sometimes, and I chose to work 12-hour days whenever I could), but I think the phrase "Chinese kids" is supposed to evoke images of six-year olds with bloody hands and tears in their eyes working by moonlight to put the little covers on the LED lights on the gamepad.

This is just a terrible article. It's one thing to point out that a Chinese company is overworking its interns and that the schools are putting too stringent of a policy in effect, but to put all of this extra sensationalist junk in the story just serves to dillute the real story.

Ugh.

And if anyone thinks that stories like this will curb sales of the WiiU.... People have been trying the same tactic with Apple for years and it hasn't had any effect whatsoever on sales, though it probably has had at least a small impact on company policies in both the West and China.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sepewrath
^Yeah definitely a case of sensationalism, but it has become such a common thing in media these days, its not even worth noting anymore.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Those lucky kids!

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

Is this article from Kotaku? It figures knowing its reputation for sensationism.

guitarsmash09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 guitarsmash09
Member since 2012 • 145 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Is this article from Kotaku? It figures knowing its reputation for sensationism.

thom_maytees

Don't forget about their reputation for not doing any research or fact checking at all.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ChikaraShref

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

Pffrbt

Don't forget about their reputation for not doing any research or fact checking at all.

i'm not saying its not true(it most likely is), but kotaku is about as reliable as the onion...
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

^Yeah definitely a case of sensationalism, but it has become such a common thing in media these days, its not even worth noting anymore. Sepewrath
Well as long as people keep reading little more than the headline of a story, I'll keep pointing this kind of stuff out. Headline skimming drives me just about as crazy as misleading headlines themselves....

ekalbtwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ekalbtwin
Member since 2007 • 1044 Posts
I knew that Nintendo really hated small children! If they really cared they would stop pushing their rainbow branded and fun styled games and sell what children really want and need for a stable and socially acceptable upbringing as a spoiled brat, like GTA : slap the b#$%h edition and DOA: show em the fun bags DLC. And lets assume that Nintendo is using child labor to make all their product, as this story may or may not be all that truthful. If so, does boycotting the Wii U solve anything? Would these kids all of a sudden have to not work and be all happy and stuff? Not likely is it. One would have to completely change China from the bottom up and the top down to fix this, and it ain't gonna happen son, not in ya life time.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I knew that Nintendo really hated small children! If they really cared they would stop pushing their rainbow branded and fun styled games and sell what children really want and need for a stable and socially acceptable upbringing as a spoiled brat, like GTA : slap the b#$%h edition and DOA: show em the fun bags DLC. And lets assume that Nintendo is using child labor to make all their product, as this story may or may not be all that truthful. If so, does boycotting the Wii U solve anything? Would these kids all of a sudden have to not work and be all happy and stuff? Not likely is it. One would have to completely change China from the bottom up and the top down to fix this, and it ain't gonna happen son, not in ya life time. ekalbtwin

Nope, if people refuse to buy the system because of this, it makes all the "forced" work they did on this for nothing. If I was forced to make something like this I would at least want to know it was been used, and that my time spent making it wasn't wasted.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sepewrath

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]^Yeah definitely a case of sensationalism, but it has become such a common thing in media these days, its not even worth noting anymore. JordanElek

Well as long as people keep reading little more than the headline of a story, I'll keep pointing this kind of stuff out. Headline skimming drives me just about as crazy as misleading headlines themselves....

Well there was a lot wrong with that article and if I had an account on Kotaku, I would have noted it on there. If people just took the headline at face value, then its likely they would have just taken the complete article the same.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

Report: Chinese Kids Were Used to Manufacture the Wii Ubronze_earth
Yes, and what part of the Wii U do they make from these children you ask? Why, the CPU of course, Chinese Peoples Unborns.