Official Metroid Prime 3 Thread (updated 9/1)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#251 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I expected the outrage following anything less than 9.5 (as I indicated in the first post), and the outrage still baffles me. Kevin explained himself fairly well, I thought. Here's my brief interpretation.

The short version: The pacing is too fast; the slower pacing of the first two is what defined the games, and changing that detracts a little from the experience. This, coupled with the easier difficulty, detracts 1.5 from the otherwise 10.0 experience. :P

The long version:

Kevin's main problem with the game is the pacing. He directly compares it to the first two Prime games. If you've played them, you know exactly what he means by the "pacing" of those games. They are saturated with exploring and scanning. The vast majority of your time is spent exploring, not just going from one place to another, but actually studying your environment and taking mental notes about it. For example, if you see a spiderball track but don't have the spiderball yet, you have to remember which room that was in so that you can go back to it once you are able. Some people call it in-depth exploration, some call it annoying backtracking. Either you love it or you hate it. Regardless, it's what set the pacing for the first two games.

According to Kevin's review, the pacing is faster and feels more like a traditional FPS. That's a huge negative to anyone who enjoys what I just described as "in-depth exploration." And since that's the main appeal or repulsion of the series, the reviewer has to assume that the pacing was a good thing in the first two games. So if it's off, if it's not as good, then the readers need to know about it, and the score needs to reflect it. I think maybe a 9.0 would've been acceptable in this case since there are very few other problems with the game, but for Gamespot's rating system, an 8.5 works just as well, especially considering the comments about the easier difficulty (there's probably an unlockable "hard mode" again, so that may be a non-issue in the end).

Avatar image for carolynmichelle
carolynmichelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 1

#252 carolynmichelle
Member since 2002 • 4397 Posts

Everybody is losing their respect to gamespot staff because they are not fair! it would be more wise for them to stop covering nintendo stuff because they are just not into it at all!!! they should be a xbox site only !!!

metalslug10

I think saying that they're not into Nintendo stuff may be overstating the case when, after all, Metroid Prime, The Wind Waker, and Resident Evil 4 all won GS's Game of the Year awards in their respective years.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#253 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Thanks Skylock for clearing up my concerns. Much appreciated. I can look at the review in a new way and not be dissapointed so much.MoldOnHold
I'm not saying my intepretation is perfect, but I simply don't think that it's impossible for something in general to be praised, while an aspect of that area to be criticized to some degree.
FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
I had just written something, not pertaining exactly to the MP3 review, but to all reviews in general. Unfortunately, my beliefs and ideas were swept under the rug when my topic was deleted. Not even locked, but outright deleted. I felt I had made some rather strong points, but it seems they will never resurface in my words. Your loss, GameSpot.

EDIT: Sorry about the misunderstanding. Thanks for setting things straight.
Scythes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#256 Scythes777
Member since 2006 • 2796 Posts

why are people outraging?!?! we all knew it was happeningmonty_4256

haha very true. well i let all of my complaining out so i guess everyone else should do the same. I mean its only a game so lets not get too carried away and if u dont like the review then go to ign or just play the game and make your own review or summin.

mikhailk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 mikhailk5
Member since 2006 • 446 Posts

[QUOTE="mikhailk5"]If VanOrd thinks this game is like its predecessors then why the hell did Madden 08 for the Wii get an 8.0? It is almost exactly like Madden 07 with BAD Online multiplayer and more bug worse graphics I can go on and on. I know they are different genres but still how much can you possibly change a game like Metroid, besides a new story and new areas? The gameplay will feel the same as the previous twothats why the controls where suppose to change everything and make it feel fresh!Skylock00
Well, Kevin didn't review Madden, for one, and Madden 08 for the Wii was given a lower score than Madden 07 for the Wii got, so it was punished for not making any real notable advancements.

Yes it did by 0.4 points only. But Metroid Prime 3 got penalized 0.6 points from that of Metroid Prime 2 and 1.2points off of Metroid Prime. And by reading other reviews it seems likethis is the best in the trilogy, not as revolutionary as Metroid Prime but,certainly better than Prime 2.That says a lot especially for a game of this magnitude.

PaulSaysWeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 PaulSaysWeh
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts
WAS THIS REVIEW SOME SORT OF SICK JOKE!?!?, count me in as another converted to ign..
dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#259 dieasgrey
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts

Read the review for Super Metroid. One of the greatest games of all time. Praised with no cons in the review . GS scores it an 8.5.

Consistantly inconsistant.

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#260 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

Don't feel too bad guys. It's not just Nintendo they don't like.GS hates PC Gaming too. Prior to their new scoring system, regardless of how good a PC game was, if it was also on the 360, thenthe 360 version wouldinvariably get the higher score.

FFXIsAstyanax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 FFXIsAstyanax
Member since 2003 • 974 Posts
JordanElek said a couple posts up about comparing MP3 to the other 2 games

It strikes me odd that the review both praises and penalizes the game for being like the first two.

Sorry if that seems disrespectful, cutting off your quote. Didn't want to make a gigantic post, but still wanted to credit your idea which I used to springboard.

Hmm... I wonder if the lack of multiplayer is a "darned if you do/don't" subject. The reviewer was disappointed there was no multiplayer. Yet if there had been, it would have been a bad mode. That would have taken points off for bad multiplayer and possibly something else that wouldn't have gotten an extra polish (maybe graphics or controls or debugging). Either way, the game loses points because multiplayer is apparently expected.
Toasteddude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Toasteddude
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts
Teh biasgave it an abysmal 8.5! :D
rulo_rezn0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#263 rulo_rezn0r
Member since 2006 • 1351 Posts

I think the review is a fair one, other sites like ign are always giving a lot of 9.5+ ratings

I loved the first metroid prime game, the second was more of the same with a bad multiplayer, and im happy they didnt try to do an experimental multiplayer that could have finished in a disaster, and we dont want a lower score!

so... i think its a fair review, a good 1 player campaign, with solid innovative controls, the same GC graphic engine and a bigger world, thats all.

Avatar image for carolynmichelle
carolynmichelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 1

#264 carolynmichelle
Member since 2002 • 4397 Posts

I had just written something, not pertaining exactly to the MP3 review, but to all reviews in general. Unfortunately, my beliefs and ideas were swept under the rug when my topic was deleted. Not even locked, but outright deleted. I felt I had made some rather strong points, but it seems they will never resurface in my words. Your loss, GameSpot.FFXIsAstyanax

I'm sorry your thread got deleted, Astyanax. Your comments were insightful and deserve to be read. Here's what you wrote.

It doesn't really matter what the game gets unless you're on the fence about it. If you're hyping the game, obviously you're not going to skip buying it if it gets a bad review. And if you're not sure if a game will be ok, try it yourself. Grab a rental of the game and form your own opinion. If you can't get a rental card (not if you're not willing to part with $5, cheap-skate), then you should start looking at reviews. Reviews, yes, with an 's' at the end. Don't try to judge a game based on one opinion, because you never know what lurking variables are in the reviewer's mind. And make sure to take the time and READ THE REVIEW. The game may have been marked down for something that is trivial to you (like if you have to read text). Or the review may speak true and point out something that you may never have thought could go wrong with a game. But the point is, collect as much information as you can, then make a decision. Don't judge the worth of a game based on one unelaborated number.FFXIsAstyanax

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 Skylock00

Don't feel too bad guys. It's not just Nintendo they don't like.GS hates PC Gaming too. Prior to their new scoring system, regardless of how good a PC game was, if it was also on the 360, thenthe 360 version wouldinvariably get the higher score.

cmdrmonkey
Funny you mention that, since Kevin actually wrote a nice blog entry on that very subject.
dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 dieasgrey
I love all the Mod responses. Like we care since your going to support and refeed us this crap.
rkay36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 rkay36
Member since 2006 • 314 Posts
gamespot are jokes when it comes to reviewing. i dont even read them, except when i want to laugh. i only take ign seriously. i just come here because of the forums
mikhailk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 mikhailk5

According to Kevin's review, the pacing is faster and feels more like a traditional FPS. That's a huge negative to anyone who enjoys what I just described as "in-depth exploration." And since that's the main appeal or repulsion of the series, the reviewer has to assume that the pacing was a good thing in the first two games. So if it's off, if it's not as good, then the readers need to know about it, and the score needs to reflect it. I think maybe a 9.0 would've been acceptable in this case since there are very few other problems with the game, but for Gamespot's rating system, an 8.5 works just as well, especially considering the comments about the easier difficulty (there's probably an unlockable "hard mode" again, so that may be a non-issue in the end).

JordanElek

This is my point if the game feel different because of pacing and it being more of an FPS then why does he say one flaw is itbeing too much like its predecessors?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 JordanElek

all you MODs have your heads so far up Gamespot's bASS that you can't smell the bias that they laying down, you guys are on Gamespots Microsoft Loving- Wii Hating baseBALLS black_ice23

Tone it down, for one. Also, the Wii is the only current console I own. And we don't get paid or anything, so don't assume that we're defending the staff for any ulterior reasons. If there were any glaring flaws in these reviews, I'd be the first to point them out. But in all honesty, for video game reviews, they're good. Easy to read, concise, truthful. They take into account more than their own personal tastes and desires; they try to point out anything that would be a potential problem to any gamer. A review is to help individual gamers make wise purchases; they're not meant to endorse or not endorse the game to everyone.

airshot50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 airshot50
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
to all of you guys who thinks this is a bad review (which is like all of you guys). your so stupid. Why? Because you havnt played the freakin game. I remember when they reviewed twilight princess and everyone was like o my gosh this review stinks and after they played the game they said wow jeff was right. All I am trying to say is is that you guys need to wait and play mp3 before you say this is a bad review.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="FFXIsAstyanax"]I had just written something, not pertaining exactly to the MP3 review, but to all reviews in general. Unfortunately, my beliefs and ideas were swept under the rug when my topic was deleted. Not even locked, but outright deleted. I felt I had made some rather strong points, but it seems they will never resurface in my words. Your loss, GameSpot.carolynmichelle

I'm sorry your thread got deleted, Astyanax. Your comments were insightful and deserve to be read. Here's what you wrote.

It doesn't really matter what the game gets unless you're on the fence about it. If you're hyping the game, obviously you're not going to skip buying it if it gets a bad review. And if you're not sure if a game will be ok, try it yourself. Grab a rental of the game and form your own opinion. If you can't get a rental card (not if you're not willing to part with $5, cheap-skate), then you should start looking at reviews. Reviews, yes, with an 's' at the end. Don't try to judge a game based on one opinion, because you never know what lurking variables are in the reviewer's mind. And make sure to take the time and READ THE REVIEW. The game may have been marked down for something that is trivial to you (like if you have to read text). Or the review may speak true and point out something that you may never have thought could go wrong with a game. But the point is, collect as much information as you can, then make a decision. Don't judge the worth of a game based on one unelaborated number.FFXIsAstyanax

I agree with you FFXIsAstyanax.

Lucario6231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Lucario6231
Member since 2007 • 154 Posts

i hav to wait till tommorow or later :(

but gs gave it such a low score

i think they just hate wii

DazKurupt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#273 DazKurupt
Member since 2006 • 1370 Posts

Seeing as how Bioshock only got a 9, this game is still probably amazing. I'm beginning to worry that halo 3 won't get AAA. I actually wouldn't care if it did or didn't but I can just imagine the cows now......

MasterFenix5100

lol 2 funny, I play games no matter what the review.... you right though cows would be laughing all day but only because lemmings give cows such a hard time and to see a lemmings holy grail shat on would just evoke riotous laughter :D

I still plan on getting MP3. :D

dieasgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 dieasgrey

to all of you guys who thinks this is a bad review (which is like all of you guys). your so stupid. Why? Because you havnt played the freakin game. I remember when they reviewed twilight princess and everyone was like o my gosh this review stinks and after they played the game they said wow jeff was right. All I am trying to say is is that you guys need to wait and play mp3 before you say this is a bad review.airshot50

I been playing this game all day. Got it from Best buy.

anucadivad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 anucadivad
Member since 2005 • 34 Posts

Gamespot has become such a joke with this new gen. They have completely lost credibility, and I think more and more people are starting to notice. They have a responsibilty as professionals and as a business to weed out the obvious bias thats spreading all over the site.

cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts
[QUOTE="cmdrmonkey"]

Skylock00

Funny you mention that, since Kevin actually wrote a nice blog entry on that very subject.

It's not even just 360-PC ports. You guys only gave Half-Life 2, widely regarded as one of the greatest PC games of all time, a 9.2, and only gave System Shock 2 an 8.5. How either one of those games are anything less than a 9.5 is beyond me.

And as far as Nintendo bias goes, you guys hated MarioKart on GC. How do you hate MarioKart? I haven't found anyone in the real world who dislikes that game. It was probably one of the most downright fun games of last generation.

airshot50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 airshot50
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
dieasgray ok but most of the people here dont even have it
gazoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 gazoz
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 JordanElek

[QUOTE="JordanElek said a couple posts up about comparing MP3 to the other 2 games"]FFXIsAstyanax

It strikes me odd that the review both praises and penalizes the game for being like the first two.

I agree. But like I said in my most recent post, a review is meant to help individual gamers decide if the game is worth purchasing. The pacing is a love/hate thing, and it's not inherently good or bad. To some gamers, faster pacing is a good thing - they hated the slower pace of the first two games. To others, faster pacing is a bad thing - they loved the deeper sense of exploration in the first two. But the reviewer can't just say, "Well, I guess the problem cancels itself out." He has to choose which opinion is more important. It seems that Kevin decided that fans of the two previous games should be regarded a little more highly in this case, and I agree, considering it's a trilogy and can't be looked at without mentioning the others.

anucadivad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 anucadivad

How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?gazoz

Come on, thats become such a stock answer. Look, Gamespot continually has significantly lower scores on Wii games compared to rival game sites like IGN, Gamespy, etc.

Thats more than enough to make a judgement on the lack of integrity at Gamespot.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Skylock00

And as far as Nintendo bias goes, you guys hated MarioKart on GC. How do you hate MarioKart? I haven't found anyone in the real world who dislikes that game. It was probably one of the most downright fun games of last generation.

cmdrmonkey

GS also gave Mario Kart DS a 9.2, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here regarding 'Nintendo Bias.'

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Skylock00

[QUOTE="gazoz"]How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?anucadivad

Come on, thats become such a stock answer. Look, Gamespot continually has significantly lower scores on Wii games compared to rival game sites like IGN, Gamespy, etc.

Thats more than enough to make a judgement on the lack of integrity at Gamespot.

The same was said of the DS, until after about a year or so after the DS's launch, and the real strong quality software came out for the DS, and then GS was actually rating a handful of games a few notches higher than IGN did. Afterwards, those claims of GS bias against the DS went away.

KJAX90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#284 KJAX90
Member since 2006 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="gazoz"]How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?anucadivad

QFT. I would show you Gonintendo's proof of this, but it seems that they already took it down. :(

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

i have not played the game.

Ive played 1 and 2, but i feel that the Wii's control's (that are innovative enough to highly increase the overall enjoyment and add more essence to the character/atmosphere) should have easily giving this game a 9.0.

Yet..."Doesnt differentiate it self from its past sequels".

Its little things like that-that we read that make us think highly negative things such as bias.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts

Integrity?

Review scores are opinions, and Gamespot has every right to issues theirs. Just because it differs from those of the majority does not mean that they have no right to express it.

That said, I rarely agree with Gamespot's scores. But that does a simple number have to do with how much I will enjoy a game?
dar16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 dar16
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts
gamespot sucks on there reviews i just use the forums ign and 1up reviews are better
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 catfishmoon23
[QUOTE="anucadivad"]

[QUOTE="gazoz"]How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?Skylock00

The same was said of the DS, until after about a year or so, and the real strong quality software came out for the DS, and then GS was actually rating a handful of games a few notches higher than IGN did. Afterwards, those claims of GS bias against the DS went away.

I remember when everyone was mad about the 8.6 Metroid Prime Hunters got when it was reviewed. The hate will die down sooner or later.

anucadivad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 anucadivad
[QUOTE="anucadivad"]

[QUOTE="gazoz"]How many of you complainers actually played and beat this game?Skylock00

The same was said of the DS, until after about a year or so, and the real strong quality software came out for the DS, and then GS was actually rating a handful of games a few notches higher than IGN did. Afterwards, those claims of GS bias against the DS went away.

Oh, so we're suppposed to give GS a pass for a year for them to clear the bias cobwebs? Please.

silkynate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 silkynate
Member since 2007 • 157 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily Nintendo biased, but Wii biased.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Skylock00

Oh, so we're suppposed to give GS a pass for a year for them to clear the bias cobwebs? Please.anucadivad
No, the point is that most claims of bias are baseless, and change at the drop of a hat from one platform to another repeatedly here. People were at one point claiming that GS was anti-This, then it's anti-that, or pro-that...and it just goes back and forth.

My feelings is that GS isn't biased against the Wii...they just might have higher standards for it than other sites, especially given how great Super Mario Galaxy is looking graphically and such, for example, compared to pretty much everything out on the platform thus far.

Dr_Corndog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#293 Dr_Corndog
Member since 2004 • 3245 Posts

I was surprised by the 8.5 rating. I said before that unless Gamespot had a really good reason, anything below a 9.0 would cause me to seriously doubt their credibility. And...it looks like they had a really good reason. I'm not saying I'll agree with them, but I haven't played the game yet to know.

I also found it interesting that they gave Super Metroid on the VC the exact same score. But, of course, there is no game like Super Metroid....

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 catfishmoon23

Oh, so we're suppposed to give GS a pass for a year for them to clear the bias cobwebs? Please.

anucadivad

No he means the quality of software for the DS was significantly increased after the first year and half of being on the market.

mikhailk5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 mikhailk5
[QUOTE="cmdrmonkey"]

Skylock00

GS also gave Mario Kart DS a 9.2, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here regarding 'Nintendo Bias.'

I think it won't be right if they review every game low. It is ok for Gamespot to give a Nintendo game a high score on occasion especially if it deserves it. And as you can see from all of the other reviewer sites they gave the game a 9.0 and up (thay all are credible sites)and the reasonsKevin gave to givethe game under a 9 were not great. We have good reason to be upset.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 Skylock00
[QUOTE="anucadivad"]

catfishmoon23

No he means the quality ofsoftware for the DS was significantly increased after the first year and half of being on the market.

Bingo. Few consoles really have the majority of its strong software out during the first year, and the Wii is no exception, even though it is significantly better than what the DS was.
PeterPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 PeterPerson
Member since 2007 • 3627 Posts
im pretty sure this is the mp3 thread. not the "lets bash gamespot" thread. so anyway... i just got a beautiful call from an electronic lady saying my game will arrive tomorrow! :D
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
They were bragging about how fun the game was, with all the boss battles and stuff. I'm guessing that if it had a fun factor score or tilt it would've been 9 or 10. The game was brought down by minor errors. Think about it, you guys act like its the end of the world. But think about it, it got four icon rewards for everything Wii owners were hyping the game upon; that sounds pretty good to me. Gamespot didn't smite the graphics, or the controls. In fact they said the art style was great, attention to detail was great and the controls are the way first person shooters should be done on the Wii. I agree I think its stupid that they're like " Its too similar to its predecessors". Well, its a sequel, the conclusion of a trilogy. You can't expect it to take a whole new radical change like going to third person and having actual guns or stuff like that. Its just how the game is. Personally I like Gamespot's review. They're not blinded by sheer awesome-ness. They tell the good stuff, but they're not overcome by novelty feelings( not insulting the game!). Although I just as well agree with the Gametrailers review.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 JordanElek

why does he say one flaw is itbeing too much like its predecessors?mikhailk5

I was thinking about that too, and I've never really understood why it gets mentioned so often in reviews. Sequels are supposed to be similar to the previous games, as someone already said. That's the very reason that Metroid Prime was so awesome - it was so similar to the original Metroid, but in 3D. But sequels are also supposed to improve on those similar things. Look at Metroid and Super Metroid. They're similar, but Super Metroid improved in every way while still keeping the same feel and atmosphere. Metroid Prime did the same thing over Super Metroid. But Prime 2 didn't really improve that much - it just added a twist with the light and dark stuff, and that made it different enough to enjoy.

Apparently Prime 3 also doesn't improve much, but it doesn't throw in any major twists either. I would suggest that the controls are the significant change, but the controls weren't bad in the first two, so you might not be able to call that a major improvement.

This is definitely the weakest part of the review, in my opinion. But reviewers love to mention the fact that sequels are too much like their predecessors, so maybe there's more merit there than I'm willing to give it. I usually just disregard that part of a review unless they say it's exactly like the older game, but that rarely happens. Tiger Woods '08 is a recent example, though. I'm not buying it because I've heard it's practically the same as last year's.