No More Heroes Deserved to Flop

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

What about this game is so great? Its short, has poor graphics, frame rate, textures, lighting, camera angles. The controls are poorly mapped and don't always respond well. Some battles are rediculusly hard while others are way too easy. I can't think of any other game I regret buying more than this one, I only paid $30 and I still think thats a rip off. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who paid $50 for this game when it was first released.

I remember reading somewhere that sudo51 was dissapointed with its sales in Japan and was blaming its failure on the Wii and its audience......he seriously needs a reality check, this game would of sold like trash on the PS3 and 360 too.

I think this game had the potencial to be good but sudo and ubiflop just decided to release a beta product.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

meh, love hate game same with killer7 *goes back to playing nmh*

Lyphe2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lyphe2k
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

No More Heroes is one of those games that I can admit, did not push new grounds in gaming. But that doesn't make it a great game. It was fun, and best of all, it was over the top. It told a very entertaining story, and it's one of those game that does not come out too often. It's unique and doesn't try too hard to be other games (ok maybe a little like GTA).

But I will say that it doesn't appear to be as polished as it should have been. Nonetheless, I loved it and it will gain a cult following over the years, much like Killer 7 has.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The graphics were by design and were great

The game is highly flawed and needs a lot of polish though

dragonball3900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dragonball3900
Member since 2005 • 8511 Posts

I am one of the few that loved the graphics, loved the style and loved the gameplay.

I though it deserved more.

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts

What about this game is so great?

umcommon
The fact it was on the Wii, wasn't a Nintendo franchise, and it was rated 'M'. Without those three things, I don't think anyone would have paid attention to it for more than a few screen shots before going somewhere else.
MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts
I tried real hard to like this game but it's flaws prevented enjoyment. If they left the city parts off it may have been a bit better.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
Graphics weren't poor. Technically, they were, as are most games on the Wii. However, the game was still visually appealling since the graphics were so nicely stylized. I don't understand how you can complain about the camera too. I never had an issue with it, not to mention it was COMPLETELY ADJUSTABLE! All you had to do was press a button and the camera would get right back behind (if you did a quick-180 and were facing it). Also, how can you say the controlls are poorly mapped. The basic combat has one button, where your finger should be anyway. If you want to get fancy, you just hit B, where your other finger was too. It was far from being poorly mapped. The game also responds well, too well, some would say (actually one of the bigger complaints many people have). The A-button is fine, and the motion-based attacks respond regardless of where you swing the remote. I think that you're either nitpicking or expecting a technical powerhouse, TC. Either way, I think the game is great.
rexCo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9 rexCo
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
It needed a lot of polish and depth added to it. And though the graphics were stylized, even then they often fell flat. How do you get framerates to drop when you push so little polygons, and all of your textures are (sometimes purposely) bland? The environments have pop up issues in the city, yet even when everything's posted it's boring and plain. Jags are everywhere, even in the cutscenes. I also thought that the style itself wasn't always what it could've been, and that's bad for a game made like NMH was.

It did have a ton of potential though, it's a shame to have seen it fall short.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I honestly feel sorry for anyone who paid $50 for this gameumcommon

why? Just because you didn't like it? I think that's called projection.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
It can only make No More Heroes 2 that much better. Suda 41 will learn from its mistakes and improve on what it's done well, and we'll get a great game with No More Heroes 2.
JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts

It can only make No More Heroes 2 that much better. Suda 41 will learn from its mistakes and improve on what it's done well, and we'll get a great game with No More Heroes 2.remmbermytitans

I don't think we'll get any game with No More Heroes 2 :(

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It was fun.

And that's all that really matters to me.

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts

I can't say anything yet because I haven't played the game yet. I will soon. But I have one question though, is the game linear? I don't like games when there linear... no replay value.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts

[QUOTE="remmbermytitans"]It can only make No More Heroes 2 that much better. Suda 51 will learn from its mistakes and improve on what it's done well, and we'll get a great game with No More Heroes 2.JAB991

I don't think we'll get any game with No More Heroes 2 :(

That game sold pretty well, I think that Suda 51 wants more money and they'll make another great game.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

I can't say anything yet because I haven't played the game yet. I will soon. But I have one question though, is the game linear? I don't like games when there linear... no replay value.

izayoi

The game is linear.

izayoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 izayoi
Member since 2003 • 1718 Posts
Isn't there missions?
Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Unkoil666
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

I personally think its a great game. Never had a single problem with the controls. The gameplay was reminiscent of the beat'em-up's of old. The art style was fantastic. The story was great because it poked fun at all the elements that have become cliche in video games today. The over-the-top characters and boss fights were fantastic and memorable. The sound design and voice acting was great. The way the violence was handled in the game was refreshing, somehow being brutal and twistedly comedic at the same time.

Yes, it was rough around the edges and could have used more polish, but imo, it adds a certain grittiness to the title. I don't think any other title would've have benefited from it, but it works for NMH. It's not nearly as bad as you and a few others make it out to be.

It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy Sudas games. Just because you're not that kind of person, it doesn't mean the game is terrible.

Despite its technical merits (or lack thereof), NMH is an excellent game.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 legend26
Isn't there missions?izayoi
yes there are alot of missions
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
The game is unique. That's all it takes.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts

Isn't there missions?izayoi

there are missions for the most part they are annoying. The main storyline parts of the game are fun. The game makes due with simple controls

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
I agree with others that technically the graphics were poor, but the style was good. They should have cleaned it up and at least made technically good as a last gen game like Jet Set Radio Future which has a similar look. JSRF still looks great even today on my hdtv while NMH looks like ass.=/
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

I loved it a lot. as for it being to hard/too easy the only time I actually had trouble was the samurai school girl because she kept getting me with the one hit kill and I couldn't figure out how to dodge it FOREVER. As for graphics, its different and maybe a poor decision for sales but I thought they were stylish, fresh and cool. As for bad gameplay and camera and controls um none of the above.

to each their own though

titanium2108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 titanium2108
Member since 2008 • 305 Posts

This game does indeed suck. I heard here that it has a bunch of unrelated innuendo that have nothing to do with the game. Seems like this games as geared towards 10 year olds who still tell boob jokes.

-Skeletor-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Skeletor-
Member since 2002 • 1030 Posts

Lots of NMH haters here for some reason...

it's funny the OP says it deserved to flop when it was a success...

The game is great and lots of fun.. I loved the boss battles and plotline.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
Well, it's a love or hate game, and by your opinion, you join the minority that think it flopped, but in fact it was a great success, so there's no need to feel sorry for those of us who actually enjoyed this great game.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
I havn't played it yet, but noticed you didn't even mention NMH's core gameplay 0_o...
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Really?I enjoyed it a lot.I liked it a lot better than Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts

meh, love hate game same with killer7 *goes back to playing nmh*

legend26
Killer 7 was a much better game with polish the NMH lacked. I beat NMH and enjoyed the fights but the city crap sucked like the bike and jobs were really bad.
StbAnvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StbAnvh
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I think that is a very very good game.

Batles are so good!:!

Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts

It's that type of game the Wii needed. Doesn't deserve to flop at all, and I quite enjoyed it myself.

santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts
i myself found this game to be the best game of this year so far for the wii. if you really want to talk about games that should of flop is SSBB(online sucks and the game play gets old really quick.) but that's only my opinion and shouldn't matter to any of you guys.
Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts
You know i just picked up this game the other day for 29.99$ and so far i would say it was worth the 30 dollars although i am only ranked 7th in the world so far and have alot of game to go i keep putting the game down because it just doesnt have enough substance to keep me playing... The open world seems just tacked on and REALLY ruins what could have been a great storyline. The jobs that you are made to do to collect cash before missions are stupid and boring.... mowing a lawn? picking up trash? both the open world and lil job missions could have been left out... the controls and the over all game mechanics just seem like they thought lets put tons of blood in the game that look really fake and not work to hard on it so the wii gamers will buy a game that should have been worked on like a year longer EASY. The people you fight in the game before boss fights really have no SUBSTANCE or DIFFERENCE at all they just put new clothing on them and called it good. The ONLY THING good about this game is the boss fights. But getting to the boss fights is just a long repetitive process lacking difficulty and fun! This game does NOT deserve the score that it got... so far i would rate the game a 7 out of 10 the last 6 boss fights will have to be SUPREMELY good for me to change the score.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

The graphics were by design and were great

The game is highly flawed and needs a lot of polish though

Jaysonguy

I somewhat agree. The graphics were by design but you can tell right off the bat that it needs a lot more polish. I understand it's the cell-shaded 3D look but it definitely was lacking the gloss that games like Zelda: Wind Waker, or Okami had. I found the gameplay to be a bit repetitive although it had it's over-the-top moments that were very entertaining. It's a solid game. I would rate it about an 8.5.

Flippedout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Flippedout
Member since 2008 • 107 Posts
I love the GAME! But I think it may have benefited from being on a stronger system ie PS3 or 360...
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Seems like here are loads of NMH lovers. It's great but not fantastic. Here is my review.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
Heres my review on it if anyones interested. I have always said that if it was a movie, Quinten Tarentino would've been the director.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

um yes it did flop, hasnt it only sold 300,000 copies? I'm not sure if that's too good really

and I too detested the game, but I wont go on to elaborate all its flaws that make me go crazy with rage, since the last time I tried to point out the negatives, I got modded for it. quite unfair really :|

-Skeletor-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -Skeletor-
Member since 2002 • 1030 Posts

um yes it did flop, hasnt it only sold 300,000 copies? I'm not sure if that's too good really

thattotally

wtf are you talking about?? That is pretty good, development costs were low and considering this is a Mature 18+ Niche game on the Wii it surpassed expectations.Total lifetime sales are expected to hit 500,000, this is the best selling game out of grasshopper to date..

It didn't have to sell over a million on first day to break even like MGS4 did..

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

What about this game is so great? Its short, has poorgraphics, frame rate, textures, lighting, camera angles. The controls are poorly mapped and don't always respond well.

umcommon

Twilight Princess was a repetitive game that had poor graphics with crappy controls, and a shallow story but everyone is ok with praising the hell out of that.

link_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 link_1000
Member since 2006 • 807 Posts

What about this game is so great? Its short, has poor graphics, frame rate, textures, lighting, camera angles. The controls are poorly mapped and don't always respond well. Some battles are rediculusly hard while others are way too easy. I can't think of any other game I regret buying more than this one, I only paid $30 and I still think thats a rip off. I honestly feel sorry for anyone who paid $50 for this game when it was first released.

I remember reading somewhere that sudo51 was dissapointed with its sales in Japan and was blaming its failure on the Wii and its audience......he seriously needs a reality check, this game would of sold like trash on the PS3 and 360 too.

I think this game had the potencial to be good but sudo and ubiflop just decided to release a beta product.

umcommon

No it didn't. Sure, it wasn't a perfect game by ANY means, and frustrating at times (The overworld is HORRIBLE to navigate and the graphics there hurt your eyes - flashes of Cruisin' USA there XD)

But, the gameplay is fun, the bosses are awesome, the style is amazing, the way it tells its story is sweet, it has a lot of good things and most importantly...it's different. And this is why we have developers afraid to try something new - it sells like crap because it's new and different. That's why we get no new ideas, rehashes of the same franchises, and shovelware that's killing the Wii. I praise No More Heroes for being different, and while not the best game, still a worthy game of at least a rent. And if you like new, different, innovative games, you'd buy it to show so we can see more of them in the future; hopefully with some more polish.

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#43 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

I haven't decided if I like this game yet.

I played Killer 7 and loved the graphics/style but hated the gameplay. I bought NMH because I heard it was like K7 but with good gameplay. I didn't think there would be an issue with graphics--so I was surprised when I first put the game in. My first impression was that the graphics in NMH are actually worse than K7's graphics. A GC game should not look better than a Wii game IMO

(note, I do have my Wii connected to an HD tv so that I am willing to cut NMH a little slack on graphics, but still all my other Wii games look great on my HD tv. I even have a PS2 connected to my HD tv and a lot of my PS2 games look better graphics wise than NMH does).

I haven't finished NMH yet so I can't say whether its a great game. So far it seems interesting. But, in the end I don't think it matters whether I end up loving it or hating it. IMO it is good for a system and gaming in general to have games that don't stick to the usual mold. I think that is what NMH has going for it. Love it or hate it, it is good to have games like it out there.

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 legend26

I haven't decided if I like this game yet.

I played Killer 7 and loved the graphics/style but hated the gameplay. I bought NMH because I heard it was like K7 but with good gameplay. I didn't think there would be an issue with graphics--so I was surprised when I first put the game in. My first impression was that the graphics in NMH are actually worse than K7's graphics. A GC game should not look better than a Wii game IMO

(note, I do have my Wii connected to an HD tv so that I am willing to cut NMH a little slack on graphics, but still all my other Wii games look great on my HD tv. I even have a PS2 connected to my HD tv and a lot of my PS2 games look better graphics wise than NMH does).

I haven't finished NMH yet so I can't say whether its a great game. So far it seems interesting. But, in the end I don't think it matters whether I end up loving it or hating it. IMO it is good for a system and gaming in general to have games that don't stick to the usual mold. I think that is what NMH has going for it. Love it or hate it, it is good to have games like it out there.

Solori
the first level of NMH (in deathmetals mansion) is the best looking spot in the whole game imo
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

That game was great. I don't know what your talking about.

I got it for $15 and it would have been worth $50.

Avatar image for adventureseeker
adventureseeker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 adventureseeker
Member since 2007 • 899 Posts

This game sucks... People who own Wii have to stop saying " This game is good because its the only one of it's kind" What happened to the N64 days when a game that got hype DESERVED to have it. This game should burn along with The Conduit. Its going to SUCK!!

13wanderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 13wanderer
Member since 2005 • 317 Posts
I don't know what every on'e problem is. I think that NMH is a great game and I love it.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#48 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
I don't know what every on'e problem is. I think that NMH is a great game and I love it.13wanderer
Same here, in fact it's one of the few games on the wii I actually give a dam about as it is different.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
[QUOTE="umcommon"]

What about this game is so great? Its short, has poorgraphics, frame rate, textures, lighting, camera angles. The controls are poorly mapped and don't always respond well.

Dark_Knight6

Twilight Princess was a repetitive game that had poor graphics with crappy controls, and a shallow story but everyone is ok with praising the hell out of that.

Twilight Princess looked very Game Cube-ish but it had much better textures, animations, FRAMERATE, lighting, camera angles, and didn't have horrible aliasing problems either.

I have no problem with the concept for NMH but the game itself just feels very beta-like and unfinished, that's my over all complaint. If sudo51 (and ubiflop) would of put more effort into finishing the game and givie it more polish instead of just pushing it out as fast as possible it could of been something much better.

Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="umcommon"]

umcommon

Twilight Princess looked very Game Cube-ish but it had much better textures, animations, FRAMERATE, lighting, camera angles, and didn't have horrible aliasing problems either.

It also had no storyline, rehashed gameplay, a bad control scheme for the wii the wagglesword, a very bland and uninspired style. Nintendo should put more effort in creating games for their new systems.