Mario Galaxy's hype - was it mislead?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
Definitely. One my favorite games ever, and probably still the stand out title to buy for the Wii. Of course, Brawl, Twilight Princess, Prime 3, and others are fantastic as well.
pp222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 pp222
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
Not at all. I hear people praising it as the best game of this gen all the time, sounds more like most overrated game to me. It was a good game, but I didn't notice anything special about it at all. Not much better than Sunshine like people say it is. Sunshine is underrated, Galaxy is overrated.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
SMG wasn't hype..the biggest hyped was Brawl & it turns out to be an avg gamemaxgil2
Average game that got 9.5s and above? Please....
rgame1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 rgame1
Member since 2008 • 2526 Posts
yes
thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts
Yes, worth the hype and more. Incredible game.
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
SMG deserved everything it got. One of the few times where I felt a game was really just genius. Still by far the best Wii game and probably will remains so for quite some time, if not forever. Metroid Prime 3 on the other hand.....no sir, i don't like it.
alexpkmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 alexpkmon
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts
it is the second best mario game the first one is mario 64
King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#58 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
It's awesome. that's all I can say.
muscle_shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 muscle_shark
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts
yes. amazing game
Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
Super Mario Galaxy was hyped? Wow, I didn't even notice this at all. And yeah I think it's the best game on the Wii by far, and one of my all time favorites now.
doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
mario galaxy is absolutely amazing. best mario game for so so long
nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts
Mario Galaxy is probably the best game on the Wii (Sorry Melee 2-- uh, I mean Brawl). Galaxy is one of the most intuitive and creative games of the past 10 years, and is in my top 3 games of any system this gen. There were times when I was playing where I found myself with a huge smile on my face.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts
the game wasn't good at all
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#64 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

the game wasn't good at allBrooklynHotBoy

Just curious... WHY?

BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BrooklynHotBoy

[QUOTE="BrooklynHotBoy"]the game wasn't good at alljimkabrhel

Just curious... WHY?

I had absolutely no fun with it. i didn't even beat it. got rid of it after likee 20 stars or so.

The beginning got me hyped, when you gotta get to the castle before bowser snatches it up. then it goes down hill from there. i don't know how you can have such a powerful intro to a game then the rest of it be nothing but fluff. Seriously the last good mario game I ever played was sm64. sunshine was boring and galaxy is just sad. i didn't like how the wiimote was utilized at all. it just wasn't for me.

If any game was severely underhyped I'd have to go with MP3. great game that nintendo didn't even care to promote. I guess it didn't fit in with their marketing to kids and old people. it was just for returning fans of the prime series.

Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="BrooklynHotBoy"]the game wasn't good at allBrooklynHotBoy

Just curious... WHY?

I had absolutely no fun with it. i didn't even beat it. got rid of it after likee 20 stars or so.

The beginning got me hyped, when you gotta get to the castle before bowser snatches it up. then it goes down hill from there. i don't know how you can have such a powerful intro to a game then the rest of it be nothing but fluff. Seriously the last good mario game I ever played was sm64. sunshine was boring and galaxy is just sad. i didn't like how the wiimote was utilized at all. it just wasn't for me.

If any game was severely underhyped I'd have to go with MP3. great game that nintendo didn't even care to promote. I guess it didn't fit in with their marketing to kids and old people. it was just for returning fans of the prime series.

Prime had commercials dedicated to it and an extensive ad campaign in comics and popular magazines

Plus the Prime series is only important in two of the three major regions

Prime got more advertising then Mario did.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Why in the world would Nintendo have to advertise a Mario game?I mean,as redundant as it sounds,it's a Mario game.
Nintendoood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Nintendoood
Member since 2008 • 27 Posts
Without a doubt Super Mario Galaxy is the best game on the Wii and of 2007/08 and even of the decade in my opinion! Superb Nintendo genius and wonderful Mario Magic. It actually recieved the third highest average rating for a game ever out of all the top Gaming Review sites according to Game Rankings. In first place was The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time on the 64.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts
i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.garrett_duffman
I actually had a lot of fun with Galaxy, but you are right, the camera sucked! The Wii doesn't have the second analog stick, which is necessary for good camera control. The camera in the Gamecube version was much, much better than the camera in the cheap Wii port. The game with the best camera on the Wii, imo, is Scarface, but some people couldn't control it. I would love to see a Wii GTA with Scarface controls.
lisa657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 lisa657
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't think it is mislead, but I prefer the old ones. (especially sm64) :)
I think that the whole idea of searching for stars has moved to the background with Galaxy.

lisa657

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lisa657
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
And indeed, the camera sucks.
Nintendoood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Nintendoood
BrooklynHotBoy wrote:

0_0 OMFG! Who the heck is this guy? For one he's certainly not a gamer, i mean like not a real one... surely you are joking right? To even suggest that Super Mario Galaxy wasn't fun is just... madness! It was so awesome and had AMAZING gameplay and the new enemies were undoubtedly awesome! The graphics were really cool and the scenery was phenomonal! The sound effects were brilliant, the music absolutely perfectly well structured and sounded perfect and the physics like with the gravity was greatly unique. Super Mario Galaxy was magical and out of this world and the controls worked really well with the Nunchuk and Wii Remote and the variety of levels was fantastic with the odd time-trial, the manray racing, different comet levels and so much more! Additionally the power-up, new and old, were so inventive and worked absolutely spot-on. SMG is 'Prime' and a masterpiece of gaming from Nintendo with each aspect of it's success being enough to prove this. Sales, popularity, ratings you name it! Super Mario Galaxy is AWESOME!

Nintendoood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Nintendoood
OI! So what if the camera wasn't great. Most of the time it was really good and the boss battles' camera angles worked brilliantly. Plus the rest of the game's magic is undoubtable... and erm my last comment says it all.hvbh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
I found the camera to be almost perfect.:? It had a couple hitches here and there,sure,but I can't think of a single 3D game where I didn't have a problem with the camera one time or another.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#76 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
For once, i'm going to have to agree with the hype here. It really lived up to all my expecatations.
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 santiagochile
BrooklynHotBoy wrote:

0_0 OMFG! Who the heck is this guy? For one he's certainly not a gamer, i mean like not a real one... surely you are joking right? To even suggest that Super Mario Galaxy wasn't fun is just... madness! It was so awesome and had AMAZING gameplay and the new enemies were undoubtedly awesome! The graphics were really cool and the scenery was phenomonal! The sound effects were brilliant, the music absolutely perfectly well structured and sounded perfect and the physics like with the gravity was greatly unique. Super Mario Galaxy was magical and out of this world and the controls worked really well with the Nunchuk and Wii Remote and the variety of levels was fantastic with the odd time-trial, the manray racing, different comet levels and so much more! Additionally the power-up, new and old, were so inventive and worked absolutely spot-on. SMG is 'Prime' and a masterpiece of gaming from Nintendo with each aspect of it's success being enough to prove this. Sales, popularity, ratings you name it! Super Mario Galaxy is AWESOME!

Nintendoood
That's just his opinion. No one will deny that Mario Galaxy was too easy, plus its graphics were good .. for the Wii. I had fun with it, but it isn't for everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

No one will deny that Mario Galaxy was too easy, plus its graphics were good .. for the Wii. I had fun with it, but it isn't for everyone.santiagochile

The difficulty level was perfect to me.

Well,there goes that assumption.

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.santiagochile
I actually had a lot of fun with Galaxy, but you are right, the camera sucked! The Wii doesn't have the second analog stick, which is necessary for good camera control. The camera in the Gamecube version was much, much better than the camera in the cheap Wii port. The game with the best camera on the Wii, imo, is Scarface, but some people couldn't control it. I would love to see a Wii GTA with Scarface controls.

I don't get this argument of the camera being bad. Especially if it's compared to the previous games. The camera in Mario 64 was just HORRIBLE! Maybe the worst I've ever seen in a game. I guess it could be forgiven because it was one of the first 3D games, and it was a great game despite that. SMS was improved, but it was still bad. Mario's camera, while there were a couple moments throughout the game (and I do mean a couple, compared to the other 99.9% of the game) which was a bit annoying, for the most part the camera was perfect. I'm not saying that you have to like the game, but sometimes I just can't understand some of the arguments that people make.
ganga_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80 ganga_
Member since 2007 • 790 Posts
yep, outstanding game.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 BrooklynHotBoy

Nintendoood

I'm laughing my head off right now that someone who is describing this game as the 2nd coming of jesus christ has the audacity to say I'm not a gamer. LMAO thats hilarious. I literally almost spit out my ice tea.

The only thing that seemed phenomenal about this game was the music. nothing more. It did not draw me in or build any excitement in me. It just seemd like one of those games you just played to play. It was the same old same old mario. No real story line, no real structure, Only difference was you get to jump from planet to planet. the camera angles were bad too. I truthfully don't care how successful the game was with critics and with fans and sales wise. to me it wasn't a good game. If you're looking to change my opinion I suggest you stop wasting your time. I stand by my words.

maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

[QUOTE="maxgil2"]SMG wasn't hype..the biggest hyped was Brawl & it turns out to be an avg gamePices

9.5 reviewer's opinion ...my opinion average game ..I'd giv 7 ..so please.

dsmylover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#83 dsmylover
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts
mario galaxy was an awsome game tho it was very easy to beat which should be its only downfall tho a great addition for mario on the wii
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.santiagochile

WHAT THE!!!! To me one of the greatest inovations of Super Mario Galaxy is that it solved the 3D platformer camera problem that has pleagued the genre for so long. Super Mario Galaxy has a PERFECT camera. 99% of the time it doesn't need to be adjusted.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 santiagochile
[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.Hungry_Homer111

What is there to "understand"? The camera was just plain bad at some points. You couldn't even move it, and sometimes Mario couldn't see where he was going. Try playing Windwaker to see a great camera. I also don't think the camera was better than in sunshine. You misunderstood what was said. I like the game, but the camera needed a lot of work, just like the Wii version of TP, as opposed to the Gamecube version. I don't get this argument of the camera being bad. Especially if it's compared to the previous games. The camera in Mario 64 was just HORRIBLE! Maybe the worst I've ever seen in a game. I guess it could be forgiven because it was one of the first 3D games, and it was a great game despite that. SMS was improved, but it was still bad. Mario's camera, while there were a couple moments throughout the game (and I do mean a couple, compared to the other 99.9% of the game) which was a bit annoying, for the most part the camera was perfect. I'm not saying that you have to like the game, but sometimes I just can't understand some of the arguments that people make.

santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 santiagochile

[QUOTE="santiagochile"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]i didnt care for it either. i rented it once, got a few stars, then bought it a few months, maybe a year later, and got 30 stars in one night, not even a long night. the game was just... too easy. the whole galaxy and planet thing was more of a burden than a perk, and the camera could be relentless when it wanted to be. it could have been done better.Pikminmaniac

WHAT THE!!!! To me one of the greatest inovations of Super Mario Galaxy is that it solved the 3D platformer camera problem that has pleagued the genre for so long. Super Mario Galaxy has a PERFECT camera. 99% of the time it doesn't need to be adjusted.

LOL, whatever. When you can't even see what's in front of you, the camera needs work, plain and simple. The camera controls in Mario were a step backward from the Gamecube. Windwaker was MUCH better in this regard, and that game came out in 2003.
pp222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 pp222
[QUOTE="Nintendoood"]

BrooklynHotBoy

I'm laughing my head off right now that someone who is describing this game as the 2nd coming of jesus christ has the audacity to say I'm not a gamer. LMAO thats hilarious. I literally almost spit out my ice tea.

The only thing that seemed phenomenal about this game was the music. nothing more. It did not draw me in or build any excitement in me. It just seemd like one of those games you just played to play. It was the same old same old mario. No real story line, no real structure, Only difference was you get to jump from planet to planet. the camera angles were bad too. I truthfully don't care how successful the game was with critics and with fans and sales wise. to me it wasn't a good game. If you're looking to change my opinion I suggest you stop wasting your time. I stand by my words.

I want to have your babies. Agreed 100%. I found nothing special about Galaxy at all. What is this "magic" I kept hearing about? Nostalgia? You can only come so far with nostalgia. The space enviorment? Boring. The castle in SM64 is so much better, even Pinata Town in Sunshine is more interesting. Nintendo could have made it with an original character rather than Mario and I bet nobody would be going on about all this magic jibberish. It was not challenging at all, the whole planet system is pathetic compared to the SM64 castle, Wii controls add little, if anything they make it more stale, it's the same old Mario just as Sunshine. Yet for some reason this recevies so much praise while Sunshine is seen as the bad sheep of Mario. It's mystery to me. Also, another issue that really bugged me. Boss fights. Mario Galaxy boss fights were boring, irritating, easy, and repetitive. Boss fights are supposed to be fun yet challenging. By getting these two right you will have amazing boss fights (see: Banjo Tooie). Getting one of 'em right is good, but not enough. Galaxy fails at both. The Bowser fights quite frankly disgust me compared to how they used to be back in the 64 days. Decent game. Nothing about it struck me as amazing, excellent, fantastic, or any other such praise, and I will never see it as the awesome game you guys keeps circling around.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#88 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
What the hell @ people saying SMG wasnt hyped here!!! I wasnt here back then but SW was an exception if thats true. Every where else the hype was throught the roof. In fact neoGAF was crashing everytime new info came in, and its probably the only game everyone there agrees that lived up to the hype or surpassed it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

I found nothing special about Galaxy at all. What is this "magic" I kept hearing about? Nostalgia?pp222

How about "difference of opinion?" I think that'll work.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

What the hell @ people saying SMG wasnt hyped here!!! Grinning_Demon

"Here" doesn't count, "here" is pretend

When people say it wasn't hyped they're talking about the real world

Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Grinning_Demon

[QUOTE="Grinning_Demon"]What the hell @ people saying SMG wasnt hyped here!!! Jaysonguy

"Here" doesn't count, "here" is pretend

When people say it wasn't hyped they're talking about the real world

A super Mario game doesnt need hype to sell in the real world. Real world doesnt give a crap about hype. And i remember that old astronaut promoting the game and Galaxy footage in the "Wii would like to play" ads
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
What is there to "understand"? The camera was just plain bad at some points. You couldn't even move it, and sometimes Mario couldn't see where he was going. Try playing Windwaker to see a great camera. I also don't think the camera was better than in sunshine. You misunderstood what was said. I like the game, but the camera needed a lot of work, just like the Wii version of TP, as opposed to the Gamecube version.santiagochile
I can think of 2 examples of moments throughout the game where I thought the camera was anything less than perfect: 1. I think it was just before the mini-galaxy where you go to that snow-filled planet where you have to find those bunnies, there's that one planet just before that where you find the shell on the shell, and the camera stayed on the other side so it was hard to see the shell. 2. Sometimes (although not that much) the camera underwater could have used a bit or work, but it was still more than passible most of the time. Other than that, it was perfect. And I did play Wind Waker. I do agree that it had a great camera. But that's a different genre entirely, and until Galaxy, there were no 3D platformers that ever came this close to perfection.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Grinning_Demon

LOL, whatever. When you can't even see what's in front of you, the camera needs work, plain and simple. The camera controls in Mario were a step backward from the Gamecube. Windwaker was MUCH better in this regard, and that game came out in 2003. santiagochile

The camera is almost perfect, one of the best 3D cameras considering the dificult task of dealing with gravity shifts and small round surfaces, you seem to be in the minority on this one.

And comparing it to Zelda makes no sense whatsoever. Zelda's setting is alot more simple to work with a camera system

scorpionldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 scorpionldr
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

i think hardcore gamers would instantly accept it, however I kinda think the dramatic emo cinema stuff kinda make it a little too soft. I put it in for a friend who got the wii as a first system in ages, and watching the movie portion, he was just like "dude....this opener is gay".

I think mario games have done better with a little less introduction, but it was the best thing since 64 i say.....i still wanna finish up super mario sunshine tho.

yonaswii08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#95 yonaswii08
Member since 2007 • 796 Posts
Why did you think the game won GOTY from game trailers easily one of the best platformers ever.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts

while i DID like scarfaces controls, i liked the godfather's alot more. i could do scarfaces control, it was easy ( i had it on the most "advanced" one) but i just really like the godfather version
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts

[QUOTE="Pices"][QUOTE="maxgil2"]SMG wasn't hype..the biggest hyped was Brawl & it turns out to be an avg gamemaxgil2

You and that brooklinhotboy guy make a great couple.....as the two of the most tasteless gamers I've ever seen. You're calling one of the best Wii games..."average"? I think its safe to say that whatever you find a perfect game might be average to me. Sounds unreasonable? You're doing the same
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

What hype?

The game was hardly advertised at all

k3nne3e
lol i cant even remember a commercial for it, i remember the sunshine commercials, but not galaxy. But, also, yes the game is really good, even playing it through a second time as Luigi.

agree i cant remember anything advertisement wise. GTA IV at the other hand, invested several MILLIONS (more than the whole development cost of SMG plus all of its adv costs) in just advertisement....Now thats hype(and still was beaten by the under advertised MK):
pp222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 pp222
[QUOTE="maxgil2"]

[QUOTE="Pices"] Average game that got 9.5s and above? Please....Pices

You and that brooklinhotboy guy make a great couple.....as the two of the most tasteless gamers I've ever seen. You're calling one of the best Wii games..."average"? I think its safe to say that whatever you find a perfect game might be average to me. Sounds unreasonable? You're doing the same

Opinions. Learn about them. Another term you should learn about is "overrated". It fits this game perfectly.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#100 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
I think the caemra was a bit annoying but the difficult was just right it made it more playable and fun unlike Super Mario Sunshine.