Mario Galaxy's hype - was it mislead?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Turbo_Burdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Turbo_Burdo
Member since 2007 • 606 Posts
Was its hype worth it? Please be honest.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts
Absolutely, one of my favorite games of all time.
Lakmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lakmann
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
best mario game ever imo
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

What hype?

The game was hardly advertised at all

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

best mario game ever imoLakmann

Best Mario game ever made,indeed.Super Mario Galaxy was well-worth the hype and is worthy of all the praise and awards it receives.

MFmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 MFmotion
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts

[QUOTE="Lakmann"]best mario game ever imoVGobbsesser

Best Mario game ever made,indeed.Super Mario Galaxy was well-worth the hype and is worthy of all the praise and awards it receives.

Best Mario game after Super Mario 64 Indeed a Hype ...
MangaPicture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MangaPicture
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts
Best game I've played since Zelda Majoras Mask.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Best Mario game after Super Mario 64 Indeed a Hype ... MFmotion

I personally found Super Mario Galaxy to be leagues better than Super Mario 64.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts
Easily the best 3D Mario I've played to date. It goes up there with Super Mario World.
Pices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Pices
Member since 2005 • 3910 Posts
It deserved to get 9.5 (or more) and win the Game Of The Year 2007 award....an absolutely epic game.
alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

i dont think it had any hype,at least not compared to brawls,lol, but even so, its THE best mario game out there =]

btw-FIRST POST!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts
Excellent level design, excellent gameplay/control, excellent music, excellent replay value, and excellent graphics (best Wii has be miles). This game can only be considered a masterpiece
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
No other game this generation made me feel like it was 1996 again and had me hooked on it for hours and hours. Thats my answer.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
Absolutely, it deserved the hype and then some. An incredible game, every bit of it.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Incredible is the only way to describe it.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Of course. It was an amazing game and the first 3D Mario game that lived up to the classic games.
jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts

What hype?

Jaysonguy
And despite that it sold over 7 million copies. Honestly, Mario is such an important name in the industry that "bludgeon them to death" marketing isn't all that necessary. Galaxy isn't the tightest playing or best looking platformer ever made, but I can't say I've had more fun with a game in the past 10 years. Galaxy was well worth the wait and the money.
mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts
Worth the hype? It exceeded my expectations. Tight control + brilliant level design + stellar orchestrated soundtrack = Happy Man:)
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Hype? What hype? To be honest, compared to a lot of games today, Super Mario Galaxy wasn't talked about that much at all. Even when the game was mentioned, some people were quickly to express skeptism and concern about the game's planet traveling theme and gameplay and saying that it wouldn't provide the thrills Super Mario 64 was able to. Much like the Wii itself, Super Mario Galaxy is a game that has to be played to realize how special it is. I'm also going to make a comparision with Super Mario Galaxy that I dare not make with many games:

Super Mario Galaxy is the closest thing I've played to Super Mario Bros. 3 and it is the SMB 3 of Mario's 3D adventures. That's how much respect I have for this game to compare it to my favorite game ever.

SonicBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 SonicBalla
Member since 2006 • 2610 Posts
If anything it was underhyped. I didn't start hyping it until 2 months before it came out and now its my favorite game ever.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Don't listen to all these people (if you haven't bought the game yet). If you do when you start to play it you'll be expecting perfection and you'll be disappointed, it's like that with every game that people say is the best ever. However that said Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on the wii. But even it has flaws.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#22 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
It didn't get to much hype less than Super Smash Bros Brawl and Zelda Twilight Princess but it ended up being better than both. It's my second favourite Mario game ever.
Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
No, not at all. It's an amazing game, and either my second or 3rd favorite Mario game (prefered 3, and I'm not quite sure if I'd put World ahead of it or not). After originally playing it, I thought that that M64 was better, but now that I've had time to think about it, and even replay them, I've changed my mind. M64 was still a classic, but had more flaws, with its horrible camera (serioulsy, I know it was the first 3D platformer on the N64, but the camera was just horrible), controls, etc. Anyway, it's an amazing game, my favorite so far of this gen, and one of the best ever. It did have its flaws, but the positive far outweighed the negative.
santanablu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 santanablu3
Member since 2007 • 1467 Posts

Hype? What hype? To be honest, compared to a lot of games today, Super Mario Galaxy wasn't talked about that much at all. Even when the game was mentioned, some people were quickly to express skeptism and concern about the game's planet traveling theme and gameplay and saying that it wouldn't provide the thrills Super Mario 64 was able to. Much like the Wii itself, Super Mario Galaxy is a game that has to be played to realize how special it is. I'm also going to make a comparision with Super Mario Galaxy that I dare not make with many games:

Super Mario Galaxy is the closest thing I've played to Super Mario Bros. 3 and it is the SMB 3 of Mario's 3D adventures. That's how much respect I have for this game to compare it to my favorite game ever.

Madmangamer364
i agree with this 100%
Spectacular66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spectacular66
Member since 2008 • 265 Posts
It's the best Wii game out there in my opinion. It's a great example of how platformers should be made!
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts
If mario galaxy will be timeless. Just like now I play Super Mario World and Mario 3 with my friends, I'm sure I will still be playing super mario galaxy years into the future.
Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#27 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts

It was underhyped. I think part of the reason why is because of Twilight Princess's disapointment. After TP was released, many people did not think that Nintendo was up to the challenge of creating a game that was on par or exceeded their predecessors, but Super Mario Galaxy proved them wrong.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Smash Bros, which in my opinion, was rediculously overhyped.

SkyGTRline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SkyGTRline
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

What hype?

jmangafan

And despite that it sold over 7 million copies. Honestly, Mario is such an important name in the industry that "bludgeon them to death" marketing isn't all that necessary. Galaxy isn't the tightest playing or best looking platformer ever made, but I can't say I've had more fun with a game in the past 10 years. Galaxy was well worth the wait and the money.

In my opinion, Super Mario Galaxy far exceeded what little hype there was on the game and is the best looking platformer with the unique gameplay using creative and intuitive controls of the current generation.

Drawing the same comparison, I was a bit underwhelmed in the hype:actual game ratio with Brawl. The funny thing is, I'm not too sure why. It may be because I've already went through countless years of Super Smash Bros 64 and Melee.

I also hoped Brawl would incorporate the "Ultimate Moves" (for the lack of a better word) into the game while keeping it balanced, not just an addition in the form of a Smash Ball where it puts certain characters at more of an advantage in the process of acquiring it and others at even moreso of a disadvantage once the Smash Ball is unleashed.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the game. Nintendo is abysmal at advertising their own games. Microsoft goes far out of its way to advertise games - even games made by third party devs. Nintendo...just doesn't get it. And they may never get it.
Gohansephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Gohansephiroth
Member since 2005 • 9871 Posts

No other game this generation made me feel like it was 1996 again and had me hooked on it for hours and hours. Thats my answer.Haziqonfire

I felt the exact same way, it was everything i liked about mario 64 and gave me the same feeling that i had first playing it in 96. Super mario Galaxy is probably my favorite game this generation,it surprisingly met and exceeded my expectations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#31 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
It was absolutely mislead. The first two minutes of the game, when you're running around Mushroom Kingdom and getting used to the nice graphics, is the best part of the game. Everything that made a 3D Mario game good in the first place, is gone after that. I got sick of people bragging this game up and saying how it was the best Mario game ever, when really I think people are bound to brag up the most recent games of anything until the next one comes out.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts
I was very surprised how much I enjoyed the game. Nintendo is abysmal at advertising their own games. Microsoft goes far out of its way to advertise games - even games made by third party devs. Nintendo...just doesn't get it. And they may never get it.TheLordMagnus
I think Nintendo advertises more than anyone. Every new game of theirs since the GBA first came out has its official artwork plastered all across the Internets, the same two or three images. You see a ton of pretty pictures, but that's about it.
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

...when really I think people are bound to brag up the most recent games of anything until the next one comes out.Ovirew
Isn't that the way it is for just about most games? Halo? GTA? MGS? I could give A LOT more examples. If we're talking strictly Mario, then I can say Super Mario Sunshine, it wasn't bragged up as much as you are saying, as for my self I LOVED it. If you only liked the first two minutes of the game, then you obviously did not make any research on the game, not like it was a secret what the game played like before it was released.

Besides, it's alll based on opinions, that is no secret, we all have different tastes. I'm sorry you did not enjoy the game as much or even half of what some of us did. I've certainly had my disappointment with some games that were hyped and I ended up disliking, (Gears of War = BORING, way OVERHYPED)

Avatar image for Hungry_Homer111
Hungry_Homer111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hungry_Homer111
Member since 2005 • 22479 Posts
It was absolutely mislead. The first two minutes of the game, when you're running around Mushroom Kingdom and getting used to the nice graphics, is the best part of the game. Everything that made a 3D Mario game good in the first place, is gone after that. I got sick of people bragging this game up and saying how it was the best Mario game ever, when really I think people are bound to brag up the most recent games of anything until the next one comes out.Ovirew
I do kind of see what you mean. It's just that they were trying to reinvent the genre with the game, kind of like what they did with N64. But unlike N64, instead of trying to get away from the 2D platforming roots, they go back to those roots, while mixing in elements from the 3D games. With that said, it wouldn't appeal to people who prefer those 3D games because they are more like the 2D games than anything, but they did an amazing job at recreating that kind of platforming, and mixing those 2D and 3D elemens, while still having it seem like its own game.
Grinning_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 Grinning_Demon
Member since 2009 • 1809 Posts
If theres one game that lived up to its hype it was SMG. Put you're Galaxy copies in a pedestal and hope you see anything like it soon
Apoklitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 Apoklitty
Member since 2008 • 1334 Posts
uh no considering it is the best game in the wii library
The-Radiohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The-Radiohead
Member since 2008 • 50 Posts
To disagree with most everyone, I thought it was severely overrated. Was it awesome? YES!!!!! Personally did I enjoy it? YEAH!!!! On of my favorite games of all time? not really. I never really got into it (blame Metroid for that)
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
I think it is underrated on GS.
DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts
jesus created this game
pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pjacobson21
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

joke thread?

there was next to no hype at all, and then it turns out to be GOTY. So no, the game wasn't overshadowed by its own hype.

k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts

What hype?

Jaysonguy
lol i cant even remember a commercial for it, i remember the sunshine commercials, but not galaxy. But, also, yes the game is really good, even playing it through a second time as Luigi.
einstein_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 einstein_13
Member since 2007 • 233 Posts

it was one of the best games that has been released on wii

yes it deserved the hype :D

jmangafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jmangafan
Member since 2004 • 1933 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

What hype?

k3nne3e
lol i cant even remember a commercial for it, i remember the sunshine commercials, but not galaxy. But, also, yes the game is really good, even playing it through a second time as Luigi.

There were commercials, they played Galaxy in a movie theater if I remember correctly.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts
IMO is one of the greatest games ever made and probably the best for this gen.
k3nne3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 k3nne3e
Member since 2008 • 473 Posts
[QUOTE="k3nne3e"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

What hype?

jmangafan

There were commercials, they played Galaxy in a movie theater if I remember correctly.

you're right -_- i always forget about those wii would like to play commercials since there's so many of them (i just looked it up on youtube)
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
SMG wasn't hype..the biggest hyped was Brawl & it turns out to be an avg game
alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
Yes I was 110% amazed... thats the honest truth.
tktomo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 tktomo01
Member since 2008 • 1476 Posts
Certainly one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had since, heck, Orcarina of Time or Mario 64.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#49 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

What hype?

Jaysonguy
That's what I was thinking... The most I saw was an E3 clip that showed a few minutes of title-screen/profile select, and a little bit of Honeyhive...
truckr_life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 truckr_life
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts

my first post on this site....been watching on the side for a while

though I dont feel there was too much hype. I did feel a little let down, even though I coulld barely put the game down. I didnt like the environments so much....I felt like in sm64 I could find along of stars and secret places by searching for them. The galaxy game guides you too much to your goals and puts aside exploration.

That was it for me. It was a great purchase, but Im not totally sure I will take the time to find all the stars or play through as Luigi