Dead Space Extraction Details and Trailer

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts

Link: http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954895p1.html

Trailer: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14320036/dead-space/videos/deadspace_wiitrailer_021709.html

I'm sure many have heard of EA announcing Dead Space for Wii. IGN manage to get some details about Dead Space Extraction. It seems the game will NOT be a port of the 360/PS3 versions, it will actually be a prequel with a different storyline and it will also be in first person. Sounds great, I was hoping it won't be a port.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

It appears EA was more serious about supporting the Wii than I expected.

Edit: I just wanted to add that, I was aware this was on rails. I watched the trailer and read the interview before posting.

Fleeman6019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Fleeman6019
Member since 2005 • 855 Posts
It appears EA was more serious about supporting the Wii than I expected.Devil-Itachi
well i guess when you lose $600 million in 3 months you realize something has to change
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nomad0404
Member since 2004 • 1111 Posts

If that video has in game graphics then woooo that's some nice stuff going on there.

And this is exactly what I hoped it would be and what I pray the Wii gets more of, same universe different stories.

Phil

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts
It's apparently an 'on rails' shooter, which could still be fun, but not what I had in mind.
King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 King-gamer
Well yeah, it will be an on rails shooter I forgot to mention that but I think it could still be great.
Ganados0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Ganados0
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
They have made a mistake it should be a first person shoot em up like Doom 3 with the on rails stuff being optional like Medal of Honor Heroes 2.
PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts
does "on the rails" mean that the screen moves without the player having a choice? Like some older arcade shooter games?
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 presto7640

does "on the rails" mean that the screen moves without the player having a choice? Like some older arcade shooter games?PA_DUTCH

Traditionally, your character follows a specific path preset by the designers and you shoot stuff as you go. You don't have much choice in your movement. But, the interview says they're going to introduce some 'new ideas' to the formula...whatever that means. It's EA, so I'll keep my expectations low, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nomad0404
I'm deeply disapointed now, why could it not be an FPS?
helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

IGN: Dead Space for 360 is a third-person action game. This is not true of the Wii version. The title shares more in common with Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, right? Please explain how gameplay works.

Steve: Our gameplay takes advantage of a guided and cinematic camera which allows us to frame the action on screen and deliver fantastic and gripping action sequences packed with loads of scares. We plan to evolve the game by focusing on a frenetic first-person perspective that we believe will enhance the tension and horror the player experiences as they play the game. The unique gameplay and first-person perspective allows us to combine a high action horror movie experience within an interactive environment.

ANOTHER ON RAILS SHOOTER...

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
I'd rather have a port than a more of this on rails junk!
dtno132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dtno132
Member since 2008 • 1662 Posts
Awww why is it an on rail shooter? T_T Meh, at least it looks nice. = /
weskerlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 weskerlover
Member since 2005 • 24 Posts

It is really sad that it will be an on rail shooter...i already own two

on rail shooters... i will not buy it if it is onrails

jjc0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jjc0929
Member since 2004 • 46 Posts

how disappointing, and it will fail if it becomes a Rail shooter

lets keep posting negative comments in hopes of anybody in EA to see lol

BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

wow I feel bad for you guys who only own a wii because this game is amazing.

I knew something was fishy about porting the original game because the graphics were way too crisp for the wii and they'd have to be a lot of dumbing down and they would've had to spend a lot of money just to make that port.

but rail shooters? thats just awful. rail shooters are only fun in arcades. no one wants to play that at home.

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts
Sorry to be a pain but can someone explain why they dislike a on the rail shooter? Is it because they all play the same? or lack of choices?
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
I was excited of this, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be a rail shooter. I would rather see a FP horror game.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 umcommon
Sorry to be a pain but can someone explain why they dislike a on the rail shooter? Is it because they all play the same? or lack of choices?PA_DUTCH
-I absolutely HATE games that feel like they play themselves. -I like to take my time and explore environments in games. -On rails shooters are fun for $0.50 but not $50! -Why butcher a great game like Dead Space. -Why not give people the best third person shooter controls possible if you are able to (Wii remote+nunchuck)
NormanOfTorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 NormanOfTorn
Member since 2006 • 374 Posts
On rails shooter? I was hoping for a third or regular first person shooter game. If it ends up being just on-rails I probably won't buy it.
jjc0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jjc0929

Sorry to be a pain but can someone explain why they dislike a on the rail shooter? Is it because they all play the same? or lack of choices?PA_DUTCH

Lack of freedom

Less hours of gameplay

People wanted this game to be a ground up and Play similar to Resident evil 4:wii,it would also have been good if it was a Plain FPS(no rails) but EA just killed the Dream.....

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 King-gamer
Wow lots of negative comments here and the game is still in the early stages of development.
sicteliko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 sicteliko
Member since 2005 • 479 Posts
I'd rather have a port than a more of this on rails junk!umcommon
I agree, my enthusiasm quickly dropped to a very low level after hearing that it was an on rails shooter.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Wow, lots of hate for on-rails shooters in this thread, while there is currently massive love for House of the Dead: Overkill permeating this very forum. You guys confuse me sometimes. ;)

We should judge the game for what it is, not what we hoped it would be. Judging from the trailer, it's going to be a pretty sweet arcade shooter.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

FU EA

when i read it was a prequel i was like "omg original content yay!"

then on rails. lazy just lazy. seriously this isn't dead space then, how is on rails ever scary, you die and you put your coin in and come back (or press 1!)

this sucks. F U EA. can't you see DQ10, MH3, LKS, conduit, madworld, RF:F, FF:MOLE, are all taking wii seriously

i wanted something more dead space than house of the dead

and now we know critics will pan this game even if it ends up being the best on rails shooter ever, once again EA, F U. you could've really done something for wii, but no. had to take an easier way out. F U

jjc0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jjc0929

Wow lots of negative comments here and the game is still in the early stages of development.King-gamer

but it has been revealed that it will be a Rail Shooter, that just kills all the Hype about the game controling better than the ps3/pc/360 one...

but, at least it looks nice to be in early development

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 umcommon
If EA doesnt notice all this negative feedback regarding this horrendous choice than they're deaf. When the sales on this on rails shooter tank I can just picture some fat stupid EA execs scratching their greasy bald heads saying, "Dog gonit! I just don't get them Wii owners. Maybe Dead Space would of been better with all play." :roll:
jjc0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jjc0929

Wow, lots of hate for on-rails shooters in this thread, while there is currently massive love for House of the Dead: Overkill permeating this very forum. You guys confuse me sometimes. ;)

We should judge the game for what it is, not what we hoped it would be. Judging from the trailer, it's going to be a pretty sweet arcade shooter.

JordanElek

yeah but you have to remember that HOTD has always been a On rails Shooter, while Dead space was a 3rd person, people were crazy about the idea of Dead space +Wii remote

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 umcommon
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

jjc0929

yeah but you have to remember that HOTD has always been a On rails Shooter, while Dead space was a 3rd person, people were crazy about the idea of Dead space +Wii remote

Exactly I was flippin stoked at the idea of using the Wii remote for Dead Space... now EA shattered my hopes with onrail garbage.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

[QUOTE="PA_DUTCH"]does "on the rails" mean that the screen moves without the player having a choice? Like some older arcade shooter games?presto7640

Traditionally, your character follows a specific path preset by the designers and you shoot stuff as you go. You don't have much choice in your movement. But, the interview says they're going to introduce some 'new ideas' to the formula...whatever that means. It's EA, so I'll keep my expectations low, and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

There had been a lot of shooters where you can control your pace and direction up to certain point. I really can see this as an appropiate addition to refresh the on-rail concept as we have seen several great shooters on Wii, as RE:UC and now Overkill, even more as they can allow free camera movement up to certain degree.
Nomad0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nomad0404

It doesn't say this is an on rails shooter does it, it just says the camera is controlled by them to give the best cinematic experience. Isn't this much like what the old REs used to do?

Phil

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 presto7640

JordanElek

Normally, I'd agree with judging games by their own merit. But in this case, we've got the hype from EA, a simplified, restricted, on rails game world, the extremely short development window (Q3 2009), and a successful name to play off of. This is beginning to look like nothing more than a cash in trying to ride the coattails of The Conduit and Madworld. A rails shooter is completely different than the original Dead Space and EA may only be using the name because it has high expectations attached to it. IF that is what they're doing, then I don't think it's wrong to judge the game by the same expectations EA is using to sell it.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 umcommon

It doesn't say this is an on rails shooter does it, it just says the camera is controlled by them to give the best cinematic experience. Isn't this much like what the old REs used to do?

Phil

Nomad0404
IGN: What prompted the decision to transform the Dead Space experience into an on-rails shooter for Wii? -taking idea's out of their rears is what prompted them.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#34 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

FU EA

then on rails. lazy just lazy. seriously this isn't dead space then, how is on rails ever scary, you die and you put your coin in and come back (or press 1!)

this sucks. F U EA. can't you see DQ10, MH3, LKS, conduit, madworld, RF:F, FF:MOLE, are all taking wii seriously

and now we know critics will pan this game even if it ends up being the best on rails shooter ever, once again EA, F U. you could've really done something for wii, but no. had to take an easier way out. F U

darth-pyschosis
HoD:Overkill is also taking seriously the Wii, so what's the problem with on-rail shooters? in any case, most likely, you only want to see gore, blood, dismember and so on. You will have it. And on rails shooter is not easier than a regular shooter, specially because you don't have a way to "hide" like on other shooters. Furthermore, RE:UC is one of the most content filled games, and is an on rails shooter, very different from RE4, which is a great game but adds little to the history. So, yes, they are promising a loto of content to support the story behind Dead Space Extraction and that's what you're asking. I really think some of you just like to complain to feel themselves "really cool" bashing something because thye are too square. I'm not trying ton convince anybody, but with this kind of reponse there is no wonder that a lot of developers prefere to work in casual titles, because the casual audience is, incredibly, more mature
presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 presto7640

Phil

Nomad0404

IGN: What prompted the decision to transform the Dead Space experience into an on-rails shooter for Wii?

Steve: Extraction is not your typical Rail Shooter. Our goal is to innovate and push the genre forward like Dead Space did for third-person action survival horror.

They call it on rail, just not a typical on rail. But he doesn't elaborate on what that means.

Unkoil666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Unkoil666
Member since 2007 • 724 Posts

So this is EA's "quality effort" with Dead Space on Wii? Turning it into a rails-shooter?

Is that what every developer is going to do? Turn all their top-tier franchises into rails-shooters just uphold graphical quality for Wii. I would rather the game take a small hit in the graphics department, than have it turned into this. EXTREMELY disappointing news.

While I have no problem with "on-rails" games (Overkill is great, UC was good, but I hope Capcom NEVER does it again), I DO have a problem with Dead Space being turned into one. Call me selfish, but its just not what I wanted to see for that franchise as far as a Wii version goes. Not one bit!

When is a developer going to look at RE4 Wii Edition and how great it is with Wii controls and expand on that? WHEN?!

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 umcommon
They call it on rail, just not a typical on rail. But he doesn't elaborate on what that means.presto7640
It means their next surprise is All Play! "We EA are proud to announce that the new installment of Dead Space on Wii will feature the All Play experience. The All Play experience will allow people to pass through this game with very little effort because we know Wii owners don't like challenging hardcore games but rather casual games that require no skill what so ever."
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#39 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
I was expect it to play like RE4 did. Oh well, it still has potential if its done right, but lets just say my anticipation for this title went down slightly ..
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
Well, i got nothing againts on-rail FPS, but it just went from day 1 to wait until we have impressions of it.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loco145
Come on. Re:UC require tons more skill than the original Dead Space did.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 umcommon
Come on. Re:UC require tons more skill than the original Dead Space did.loco145
Speaking of which how many people were mad about RE:UC being on rails: a lot. How did RE:UC sell in comparison to it's superior RE:4 counterpart... poor. IF RE:UC would of been made in the same fashion as RE:4 I bet it would of sold over 2 million.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 loco145

[QUOTE="loco145"]Come on. Re:UC require tons more skill than the original Dead Space did.umcommon
Speaking of which how many people were mad about RE:UC being on rails: a lot. How did RE:UC sell in comparison to it's superior RE:4 counterpart... poor. IF RE:UC would of been made in the same fashion as RE:4 I bet it would of sold over 2 million.

I was talking about the notion that On-rails FPS is some kind of inherent "casual and very easy"genre.

cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 cheese7monkey
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

FU EA

enrique_marrodz
HoD:Overkill is also taking seriously the Wii, so what's the problem with on-rail shooters? in any case, most likely, you only want to see gore, blood, dismember and so on. You will have it. And on rails shooter is not easier than a regular shooter, specially because you don't have a way to "hide" like on other shooters. Furthermore, RE:UC is one of the most content filled games, and is an on rails shooter, very different from RE4, which is a great game but adds little to the history. So, yes, they are promising a loto of content to support the story behind Dead Space Extraction and that's what you're asking. I really think some of you just like to complain to feel themselves "really cool" bashing something because thye are too square. I'm not trying ton convince anybody, but with this kind of reponse there is no wonder that a lot of developers prefere to work in casual titles, because the casual audience is, incredibly, more mature

because hotd: ok is known to be a an arcade rails shooter, it was never expected to be anything more, it was aimed at hotd veterans umberlla chronicles was released early so no-one minded (as much) but the wii is freakin filled with on-rails shooters now, if hotd hadn't been released then maybe, but the new hotd means that we pretty much don't need another freakin rail-shooter! we were all expecting a fun 3rd person shooter, something the wii has yet to get (ignoring resi 4) not another freakin rail-shooter even a normal fps would've been alright, but not another freakin rail-shooter! if we wanted more rail-shooters, we'd go down to the arcades! the funny thing is, i was actually gonna get this
Toothpick91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Toothpick91
Member since 2008 • 229 Posts
Wow realy disapointing i was hopin it was goin to be alot like the 360 ps3 pc over the sholder horror realy gory :( kinda resi 4 style o man well im takin this of my wish list :( idk it mite still be good ill see wene they get some good gameplay vids & pics maybe :l im still hopin it will be good aaaaa idk.
JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

[QUOTE="loco145"]Come on. Re:UC require tons more skill than the original Dead Space did.umcommon

How mad people are doesn't say anything about the quality of the game, and neither does the number of sales (though sometimes that can be an indication).

Umbrella Chronicles is a high-quality game that also happens to be very fun. It's not like any other game in the RE series, but that isn't always a bad thing.

People are crying "cash in" and "lazy" and "casual game that requires no skill." This game could turn out to be a well-made, high-quality, fun game, and it sounds like a lot of people here will pass it up just because it isn't what they wanted it to be. If this didn't have the Dead Space name attached, would we be seeing the same reactions? I can understand disappointment, but the utter rage and language that demeans the game itself just screams overreaction.

cheese7monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 cheese7monkey
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts
it doesn't matter if it's well made and you're right, there wouldnt be as big an uproar if it wasn't dead space since people were hyped about basically the next resi 4, only this time made for wii rather than ported to it with a better control scheme and even if, people would still be angry cause we freakin have enough on-rails shooters! we don't need anymore we're mostly angry over the failed hype though
laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

So, saw the news, new Dead Space and not a port, excitment +1. Then saw the trailer and hey it actually looks pretty nice, +1 again... and then I saw the on-rails, and I "facepalm", excitment -2 and we're back at 0.

I guess it's impossible to put 3rd person horror game on Wii, I mean RE4 only sold a million+ and that was a port, obviously it doesn't work :|. Having played the 1st one, I know how running away from those monsters was a key part in the game, it was a survival horror game afterall. Having no character to control just reduce the scare factor for that kind of game big time.

But hey, I might still check it out, the Dead Space story is a pretty interesting one so just for that I might look into it. However I did not buy RE:UC and HotD so chances of me getting this one are no better than those 2 titles.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34613 Posts
On rails shooter? Guess I can remove this from my looking-forward-to-list now.