Dead Space Extraction Details and Trailer

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

presto7640

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 presto7640
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

clicketyclick

I apologize for the 'who cares.' It was an intentional response to the way you seemed to be treating my arguments.

I hope we're done now. I like debating, but I don't like it when it starts to turn into actual arguing. It puts me on edge.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
[QUOTE="AlexSays"] Uhh... okay... so.. um.. can you name them? Since there's so many, you don't even have to remember them all at once. ;)

I agree with Alex. The Wii has exactly two rail shooters that are worth your time and money: Umbrella Chronicles and Overkill. The other House of the Dead is an annoying port and Chicken Shoot is... Well, Chicken Shoot.
Kcdragon8116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#103 Kcdragon8116
Member since 2008 • 1300 Posts
As many people have stated, the fact that it is a on the rails shooter has dissapointed me. I am not a fan of the genre, so I do not plan on purchasing it. Though I do like that EA is making a brand new story for the Wii, and not just releasing the same game. Shows that they have a bit of pride in their work, and feel that the Wii is a deserving console for developers to make original, quality games.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#104 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
On rails? Forget it EA. Bad way to change a series genre. I'll play House of the Dead: Overkill by Sega or Capcom's Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, (where Capcom did change the genre, but gave us a heads up).
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

I apologize for the 'who cares.' It was an intentional response to the way you seemed to be treating my arguments.

I hope we're done now. I like debating, but I don't like it when it starts to turn into actual arguing. It puts me on edge.

presto7640
lol, I didn't take offense at anything you said. You don't have to apologise. Whatever and all of what you're reading into what I wrote is wrong. [QUOTE="psychobrew"] Sure, but I think after every point (in this thread, anayway), there's an invisible asterick that says "For Me." Some people find this type of game borring, and if the player is board it's not scarry. Other people love this type of game, and that's fine, but when EA says they're bringing Dead Space to the Wii people expected Dead Space in all its glory, not another dumbed down spin off (rail games are dumbed down *to me*). I don't think people's expectations were unrealistic in what they were expecting based off the anouncement. I place the blame on EA for not making it clear that the game wasn't really Dead Space, not the people who thought it was and are now dissapointed.

Well, if it is then their opinion, then I would say their opinion is uninformed. There is no way anyone - regardless of whether it's just their opinion - can make out the case that ALL on rails games are boring, not scary, or low quality. Sure it can be their opinion, but opinions can be wrong. It's just not possible that the genre determines and is the cause of the quality, interestingness, and scariness of the game. I think the first of those (quality) should be obvious. As to the other two, certain camera angles enhance the horror, but to tell you the truth, even though I had full control of my movement in RE4, it still wasn't that scary (though it was definitely interesting and very good.) Some people don't even think Dead Space was scary! They think it followed the Doom 3 monsters-popping-out-of-closet model that was boring and predictable. Genre doesn't determine and cause scariness. Sure, there are downsides to on-rails shooters that CAN (not necessarily will) lead to the game not being scary if these drawbacks aren't worked around. But there are drawbacks to all kinds of genres. Third person takes you out of the action, puts and intermediary in between you and the game in the form of your avatar, thus distancing you from the environment, pulling you out of the experience. Things aren't necessarily as scary when they're happening to Billy-Joe rather than you. But third person also has advantages too for horror games. No genre causes a game to be bad. If someone has an opinion otherwise, it is an irrational, unjustified opinion that makes no sense. That's just how it is and if that seems harsh to you, explain how a genre determines whether a game is good.
legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

wait.....its on rails.....

*hype goes dpwn*

what the the hell EA?

Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#107 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
Extraction is being developed by the exact same team that made Dead Space which speaks volumes about EA's commitment to this project and to Wii. People should be pleased to see this come to Wii even if it's not what they expected it would be.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
On rails? Forget it EA. Bad way to change a series genre. I'll play House of the Dead: Overkill by Sega or Capcom's Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, (where Capcom did change the genre, but gave us a heads up).nintendoboy16
Why not both? (This game doesn't come out until fall).
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#109 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
It's on rails? No sale.
livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts
I don't even care. If what was shown was actual gameplay then that game looks astounding! I'd gladly get this one over HOTD any day. The thing about 3rd person shooters is they take a long time to develop. They are just now considering Wii and want to put together something that looks amazing, but doesn't take too long to develop. If this game was going to be a great 3rd person shooter/adventure then it'd have to be in development for at least 1.5-2 years to design all the different creatures, environments, weapons, etc and the player's interactivity with the world. Resident Evil 4 was in development for longer than that and look how great it came out. Maybe they'll make an actual one 3rd person shooter in the future if this one turns out well.
jjc0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jjc0929
Member since 2004 • 46 Posts
Keep up the Negative Comments people, I hope that not even 100 people get this game, EA probably will get the money Spent back with 10 people buying it....
FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts
I don't care about the haters, I'm looking forward to this game. It seems like AA by the trailer alone. And it doesn't seem like they are half-***ing the execution.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts
:| Wow EA, this is pure and utter crap. I actually trusted that you would produce a dead space like experience resi evil 4 style and you come to me with this crap? This game can be AAA and I still wouldn't even consider it. You've now hit the bottom of my, "games from devs I might buy if I have nothing else" to "Not buying any of your wii games". You say you are taking the wii serious and then you approach me with a rail shooter, wow EA wow.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#114 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

...sigh I was hoping for something like RE4.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

:| Wow EA, this is pure and utter crap. I actually trusted that you would produce a dead space like experience resi evil 4 style and you come to me with this crap? This game can be AAA and I still wouldn't even consider it. You've now hit the bottom of my, "games from devs I might buy if I have nothing else" to "Not buying any of your wii games". You say you are taking the wii serious and then you approach me with a rail shooter, wow EA wow.ActicEdge

How is a rail shooter any less "serious" than a third person shooter? I was not aware of this gaming genre heirarchy. I can understand why people might be dissapointed if they were really hoping for a third person shooter, but people are way overreacting. Really we know very little about this game and people are jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There's nothing so far that indicates this is a quick cash-in or any less effort is being put into this title. Everyone is just assuming this is a House of the Dead clone or something (not that that would be bad, either), but we don't know that. For all we know this could be a Killer7 style game, which was one of the best and most "hardcore" games of last generation.

I'm looking forward to this game because the very talented studio behind the original game is doing this as well, I like rail shooters (more than most third person shooters, save for Resident Evil 4), and the trailer looks really cool. When Dead Space Wii was originally announced I just expected a downgraded port, which I would have had very little interest in. This was a pleasant surprise.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]:| Wow EA, this is pure and utter crap. I actually trusted that you would produce a dead space like experience resi evil 4 style and you come to me with this crap? This game can be AAA and I still wouldn't even consider it. You've now hit the bottom of my, "games from devs I might buy if I have nothing else" to "Not buying any of your wii games". You say you are taking the wii serious and then you approach me with a rail shooter, wow EA wow._BlueDuck_

How is a rail shooter any less "serious" than a third person shooter? I was not aware of this gaming genre heirarchy. I can understand why people might be dissapointed if they were really hoping for a third person shooter, but people are way overreacting. Really we know very little about this game and people are jumping to all kinds of conclusions. There's nothing so far that indicates this is a quick cash-in or any less effort is being put into this title. Everyone is just assuming this is a House of the Dead clone or something (not that that would be bad, either), but we don't know that. For all we know this could be a Killer7 style game, which was one of the best and most "hardcore" games of last generation.

I'm looking forward to this game because the very talented studio behind the original game is doing this as well, I like rail shooters (more than most third person shooters, save for Resident Evil 4), and the trailer looks really cool. When Dead Space Wii was originally announced I just expected a downgraded port, which I would have had very little interest in. This was a pleasant surprise.

No, I'm done making excuses for developers pulling this **** on wii owners where they would never pull it on the other consoles. I don't consider a rail shooter as EA taking the wii seriously, how can I? They tell us Dead Space is coming to the wii, I expected a 3rd person game, they give me this? Why should I accpet this, people keep making excuses for devs who do this and its ridiculous, Capcom, Konami with Castlevania Judgement I mean come on. Point to where I said the game would be crap because I'm interested to know. The fact of the matter is that I know that EA looked at the Wii and thought, "lets turn this into a more casual friendly easier affair because its a wii game". Good game or not, I'm not going to cut EA any slack, this is utter bull and I hope this game bombs. This is coming from someone who is constantly pissed when devs close and good games get crap sales but I'm done defending these type of actions. For shame EA.

Darkmagcite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Darkmagcite
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
It sounds interesting. About it being On Rails, I would have preferred it to be like the original but I'm not complaining. It looks great from what is seen in the trailer (unless that was pre-rendered), but this should be exciting and I'm looking forward to some more action on the Wii. I hope it does well and the game is worthy of the Dead Space title.
Avatar image for deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#118 deactivated-62cbf5c22ef38
Member since 2004 • 16051 Posts
maybe,,, MAYBE I`ll get it... just if the prequel story turn to be nice... and worth the cash... :P
Master_Hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Master_Hermes
Member since 2003 • 5913 Posts
[QUOTE="_BlueDuck_"]

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]:| Wow EA, this is pure and utter crap. I actually trusted that you would produce a dead space like experience resi evil 4 style and you come to me with this crap? This game can be AAA and I still wouldn't even consider it. You've now hit the bottom of my, "games from devs I might buy if I have nothing else" to "Not buying any of your wii games". You say you are taking the wii serious and then you approach me with a rail shooter, wow EA wow.ActicEdge

No, I'm done making excuses for developers pulling this **** on wii owners where they would never pull it on the other consoles. I don't consider a rail shooter as EA taking the wii seriously, how can I? They tell us Dead Space is coming to the wii, I expected a 3rd person game, they give me this? Why should I accpet this, people keep making excuses for devs who do this and its ridiculous, Capcom, Konami with Castlevania Judgement I mean come on. Point to where I said the game would be crap because I'm interested to know. The fact of the matter is that I know that EA looked at the Wii and thought, "lets turn this into a more casual friendly easier affair because its a wii game". Good game or not, I'm not going to cut EA any slack, this is utter bull and I hope this game bombs. This is coming from someone who is constantly pissed when devs close and good games get crap sales but I'm done defending these type of actions. For shame EA.

This game is being made by the creators of the original Dead Space. EA could've put them to work on Dead Space 2 instead of this, I'd say that's serious support. If a game is good that really is all that matters. It sounds like you want depth which you don't expect from this game but we really don't know enough about it to make that conclusion. Just because it's a rail shooter doesn't mean it'll be a shallow experience. It may be more Killer 7 than House of the Dead.

alex6792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 alex6792
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts
WHY OH WHY is it thats devs CONSTANTLY feel the need to do something different on the wii?? like seriously,its great that we get the support,no complaints there,but come on.dead space was good for what it was,but it could have been even better with wiimote controls,like resident evil 4 wii edition.if theyre so into "supporting" the wii and making a prequel with a new "storyline",wouldnt it have been easier to just port it?not saying i want tacked on wii controls but there was SO MUCH potential.i wont pretend im not severely dissapointed,probably not going to buy it,but ill stay optimistic.....see how it does
maxgil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 maxgil2
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
Looks good, Im gettting it just to see where the story is coming from, I don't mind rail shooters. :)
Avatar image for danger_ranger95
danger_ranger95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 danger_ranger95
Member since 2006 • 5584 Posts

Def not what I was anticipating the game would be like, but it's all good.

I'll check it out most likely

More_Dakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#123 More_Dakka
Member since 2007 • 1625 Posts

O RLY?

On rails hmm?

Well- if House of the dead: Overkill can still be considered good- so can Dead Space: Extraction.

My expectations are low- but we'll see what happens.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

No, I'm done making excuses for developers pulling this **** on wii owners where they would never pull it on the other consoles. I don't consider a rail shooter as EA taking the wii seriously, how can I?ActicEdge

The Wii is the only viable console option for a rail shooter, so of course this wouldn't happen on another console. Maybe EA wanted to make a rail shooter to out-do all the other games in its genre, and they chose the Dead Space franchise because it suits the genre very well.

EA is taking the Wii seriously by playing to its strengths. The Wii has become known as the platform for the out-of-the-ordinary. If you want the ordinary, you need to buy another console. You can hate that idea all you want and curse developers for sticking to it, but that's the way it is.

And yes, onrails shooters are out of the ordinary. How many of them existed on a home console before the Wii, and how many of them exist on other current consoles?

So_anyway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 So_anyway
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

Honestly I think that's in game footage. If you look at the pipes on the sides of the areas in the sewers they still have some hard edges. If it was prerendered they probably would've fixed that.

The Killer7 gameplay idea would actually work pretty nicely. Dead Space on the other systems is still an extremely linear game, doors are usually locked until you complete a certain objective and even then its usually just restrooms off to the sid. In fact the navigation system they used, a blue light showing the direction that the player needs to go, could easily be converted into the rails the game progresses on.

The only major change in the way the game is played would be with the open areas where they would have necromorphs attack from all sides and the player wouldn't have anywhere to hide. Of course with this game being set in the mining coloney they could confine it to corridors or other tight areas and have the enemies funnel in.

Anyway that was only a minute teaser trailer. Probably just wait for more, it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

As soon as I read it was a rail shooter my heart DROPPED! I was so excited for this game and now I get ANOTHERrail shooter.

Also just to add in.

If this game doesn't sell as well as EA thought it wold they are just going to say there aren't any hardcore gamers for the Wii.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#127 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

People need to relax.

1. We have like a minutes worth of a trailer.

2. Yes, its on-rails, however, what makes it any different from RE:UC or House of The Dead: Overkill

I understand people were expecting something a la RE4:Wii Edition. What I don't understand is how people can complain about this without even knowing much about the game. We literally know nothing but that its on-rails and EA's aim with it is to change the way the genre is made. Relax and stop complaining. Seriously, you guys are acting way too whiny and childish.

dan543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#128 dan543
Member since 2005 • 218 Posts

People need to relax.

1. We have like a minutes worth of a trailer.

2. Yes, its on-rails, however, what makes it any different from RE:UC or House of The Dead: Overkill

I understand people were expecting something a la RE4:Wii Edition. What I don't understand is how people can complain about this without even knowing much about the game. We literally know nothing but that its on-rails and EA's aim with it is to change the way the genre is made. Relax and stop complaining. Seriously, you guys are acting way too whiny and childish.

Haziqonfire

Man don't post stuff like this! First of all, we know that the changing of the genre is all bs, they can't do that, they are just trying to sell something here. I mean, how much can you improve a on rails shooter?! True about the short trailer, actually graphics look pretty decent for a Wii game, but just knowing that it is a on rails shooter to know that they are jsut trying to sell a Wii gimmick, point and shoot, like RE:UC. I mean, you cannot really say those are special games for the Wii, just a lame excuse to make use of the pointing thing. What is really splinerting is the fact that we expected good Wii controls for a game like this, but instead we get something COMPLETELY different from what we liked of the first game, all the exploring, etc, etc. I don't know, it's like killing the game imo, I mean, I have nthing against on rails shooters, but they are never worth a 50 dollar tag. They are short, repetitive and uninspired most of the time. Shoot the heck of whatever ypu see in the screen! That is on rails... and it sucks for Dead Space Wii... completely dissapoiting. Anyway, I guess people have their right to be cherishing over this news if they are fans of on rails shooter, it's just that most of us who heard this news were really excited about the game and it turned out to be all but what we expected. But it is true, whining and all is stupid, in won't change anything, but everyone can have their say in how they feel about this, so let them be for god's sake! Just as you can say this, they can say whatever they want.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 JordanElek

they are jsut trying to sell a Wii gimmick, point and shoot, like RE:UC. I mean, you cannot really say those are special games for the Wii, just a lame excuse to make use of the pointing thing. dan543
So now the IR pointer, the most useful and promising feature of the Wii remote, is just a gimmick? The pointer is the very reason that people were wanting this to be a third-person shooter, so that it could have controls similar to RE4.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#130 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]No, I'm done making excuses for developers pulling this **** on wii owners where they would never pull it on the other consoles. I don't consider a rail shooter as EA taking the wii seriously, how can I?JordanElek

The Wii is the only viable console option for a rail shooter, so of course this wouldn't happen on another console. Maybe EA wanted to make a rail shooter to out-do all the other games in its genre, and they chose the Dead Space franchise because it suits the genre very well.

EA is taking the Wii seriously by playing to its strengths. The Wii has become known as the platform for the out-of-the-ordinary. If you want the ordinary, you need to buy another console. You can hate that idea all you want and curse developers for sticking to it, but that's the way it is.

And yes, onrails shooters are out of the ordinary. How many of them existed on a home console before the Wii, and how many of them exist on other current consoles?

1) Any console can have on rail shooters, the only reason there aren't many of them is because they aren't popular plain and simple. OUT DO!?!?! are you kidding ROFL seriously this is a joke. Sorry Dead Space would be much better with third person Wii controls like RE:4. House of the Dead suits rails NOT Dead Space. 2) Seriously hahahahahaha. Ea's lineup for Wii is LAME! Ea's multi plat games on Wii are horribly gimped; Madden's online is glitchy, laggy and unplayable to put it simple, the 360 and PS3 get a Legendary 09 Edition for Madden while Wii gets a hokey All-Play feature that no one uses. Maybe third party devs should try ORDINARY+QUALITY for once on Wii, it works on PS3 and 360, it works for many first party Nintendo franchises. if they want to try something new thats fine, just make sure there wont be obvious backlash. 3) they're out of the ordinary now days because it isn't 1995. They don't exist on many consoles now days because it isn't a popular genre. Above all I as well as many Wii owners are sick and tired of the bait and switch junk third party devs are pulling on Wii. -Wii isn't getting RE:5, it's getting RE:UC, but it's on rails. -Wii will get a Castlevania game, but it's a fighter not action adventure. -Sorry Dead Space is the last stray for many wii owners.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts
1) Any console can have on rail shootersumcommon
The PS3 has ONE light gun shooter and the 360 has none.
the only reason there aren't many of them is because they aren't popular plain and simple.umcommon
Yeah. It's got nothing to do with the fact that you need a huge and incredibly imprecise peripheral in order to play rail shooters on any other console, unlike the Wii, which comes with IR pointer capability out of the box, which is hundreds and hundreds of times more accurate and easier to program for than a light gun peripherals.
House of the Dead suits rails NOT Dead Space.umcommon
How do you know this if you haven't played the game or read a single review?
Maddenumcommon
Here's a little secret: If you stop buying horrible games from awful franchises, you won't have to complain about them online.
3) they're out of the ordinary now days because it isn't 1995.umcommon
The only genre that has effectively dissapeared are text adventures, and even that can be debated. Genres don't just magically dissapear.
They don't exist on many consoles now days because it isn't a popular genre.umcommon
If you like popular games, go buy 10 copies of Wii Fit. It doesn't get any more popular than that, champ.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Yeah you guys, RE Umbrella Chronicles says who cares if its on rails.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 umcommon
^^^^^^^^^ Ok that way to long to quote, plus I don't want to do that much typing. To put it simple i as well as many others are disappointing beyond belief. Like I said it all comes down to the bait and switch part of my post.
clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="umcommon"] To put it simple i as well as many others are disappointing beyond belief. Like I said it all comes down to the bait and switch part of my post.

What bait was switched?
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 umcommon
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="umcommon"] To put it simple i as well as many others are disappointing beyond belief. Like I said it all comes down to the bait and switch part of my post.

What bait was switched?

Devs saying Wii will be getting a serious hard hitting IPs only to later say it will be some lame alteration of the main series. Castlevania Judgement and RE:UC for example. I can't even to begin to describe how dissapointed i am.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]No, I'm done making excuses for developers pulling this **** on wii owners where they would never pull it on the other consoles. I don't consider a rail shooter as EA taking the wii seriously, how can I?JordanElek

I don't care how many rail shooters exist on other consoles -- I simply don't want any. The Wii has perfect controls for FPS and TPS and there are many people who want these games on the Wii because of this. PS3 and 360 controlers are plain rotten for shooters. Right now, we can have the controls but not the games or the games but not the controls. I guess there's always the PC. I don't agree that if Wii owners want ordinary games they should buy another console -- it would be different if MS or Sony (if it were less expensive) had motion controls. The bottom line is the Wii needs more games in general. I do hope the Wii version of Dead Space does well for those who are still excited about it, but I think EA is shooting themselves in the foot.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#137 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I can't even to begin to describe how dissapointed i am.umcommon

The easiest cure for disappointment is to not have expectations. :P

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 clicketyclick
[QUOTE="umcommon"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="umcommon"] To put it simple i as well as many others are disappointing beyond belief. Like I said it all comes down to the bait and switch part of my post.

What bait was switched?

Devs saying Wii will be getting a serious hard hitting IPs only to later say it will be some lame alteration of the main series. Castlevania Judgement and RE:UC for example.

Hang on, EA wasn't responsible for Castlevania or Resident Evil, so that's irrelevant. And since when is an exclusive game a "lame iteration"? Why do you assume that a rail shooter isn't a "serious" or "hard hitting IP"? These are strange, unjustified assumptions.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 umcommon
[QUOTE="clicketyclick"][QUOTE="umcommon"][QUOTE="clicketyclick"] What bait was switched?

Devs saying Wii will be getting a serious hard hitting IPs only to later say it will be some lame alteration of the main series. Castlevania Judgement and RE:UC for example.

Hang on, EA wasn't responsible for Castlevania or Resident Evil, so that's irrelevant. And since when is an exclusive game a "lame iteration"? Why do you assume that a rail shooter isn't a "serious" or "hard hitting IP"? These are strange, unjustified assumptions.

I'm not stupid I know EA didn't make those games, I was giving an example. On rails is just very underwelming compared to third person shooters that "I" control.
SkyGTRline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 SkyGTRline
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

[QUOTE="umcommon"][QUOTE="loco145"]Come on. Re:UC require tons more skill than the original Dead Space did.JordanElek

Speaking of which how many people were mad about RE:UC being on rails: a lot. How did RE:UC sell in comparison to it's superior RE:4 counterpart... poor. IF RE:UC would of been made in the same fashion as RE:4 I bet it would of sold over 2 million.

How mad people are doesn't say anything about the quality of the game, and neither does the number of sales (though sometimes that can be an indication).

Umbrella Chronicles is a high-quality game that also happens to be very fun. It's not like any other game in the RE series, but that isn't always a bad thing.

People are crying "cash in" and "lazy" and "casual game that requires no skill." This game could turn out to be a well-made, high-quality, fun game, and it sounds like a lot of people here will pass it up just because it isn't what they wanted it to be. If this didn't have the Dead Space name attached, would we be seeing the same reactions? I can understand disappointment, but the utter rage and language that demeans the game itself just screams overreaction.

Even if the game had a name other than Dead Space, it'd still be more or less a HotD 3.0 for the Wii. Sure the game could indeed turn out to be a fantastic experience and there could be factors that differentiate the two, but in the end it is another on-rails shooter and cliche on top of what we already have compared to what it could've been if they had taken a different route - which can be safely said as the latter is what the majority of us here expected to our own disappointment. What many Wii owners have been thirsting for is a wider variety and selection in titles with high production values and quality polish instead of more of the same, so while I'm not too disappointed myself as my choices for gaming isn't limited to the Wii, I can somewhat understand the "utter rage and over-reaction" coming from Wii exclusive owners who've become quick to brush it off as a "lazy cash-in" given the history of what the console itself has become quite notorious for up to this point.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Thinking back to Medal of Honor: Heros 2, EA was pushing the arcade "on rails" mode in that game in a big way (the game kept telling you to try it, though I think that was only when I was having a tough time getting through a certain part). Although I didn't care for the arcade mode, the point is there are more "on rail" type games if people are really interested in them (I think there was a Katana "on rails" game as well, but I thought it was awefull -- maybe a 1 on a scale of 10). I don't know why EA keeps pushing the "rail" thing on the Wii. After watching the trailer, Dead Space Extraction looks like an interactive horror movie so it does have some hope, but $50 is too much for a movie interactive or not. If they made this game stereostropic 3D and packaged a few sets of glasses with the it, I could be tempted to buy it. Still, I want to see more FPS and TPS on the Wii.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#142 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts

Guys, im as disopointed as the next guy at the news that deadspace for the wii is a on rails shooter. see my post on page 2. but lets not all wright it off from the get go. these are the same guys who did the first deadspace iirc and that says alot. they have tallent for sure. sure its very posable that this is going to be a quick cash in, something relativly easy and quick to make just to milk the Wii owners who alot of are imho starving for a "core" or "mature" themed game. but its just about as posable that these guys are going to do a good job. i mean JUST becuase its a on rails FPS does not automaticly make it a instant fail. if they realy put some effort into it and do some cool things, set the right tone and dont just make it genaric moweing down of hords of necro's and actualy treat it like a story driven game it could be good. Take a wait and see attatude. And like i said im pretty sceptical my self. But dont make up your minds untill we know more. At least wait till some reviewers get a chance to play it and give us a proper hands on preview.

And ps to who ever made the statement about re4 and deadspace not selling well......i give you a face palm.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#143 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

If that video has in game graphics then woooo that's some nice stuff going on there.

And this is exactly what I hoped it would be and what I pray the Wii gets more of, same universe different stories.

Phil

Nomad0404
Thats what I was hoping for, the graphics in that trailer were great. I'm not sure about the on-rails thing but it could be decent.
King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#144 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
Wow, you guys remind me of when Nintendo announce Metroid Prime going to be a First Person game instead of a side scroller and everyone was like "it's gonna fail" "I'm not gonna buy it" But it turned out to be one of the best game of all time, now I'm not saying that Dead Space Extraction will be one of the best game of all time, but you can't judge a game unless you have actually played it or have enough information on it. I admit that knowing that it is a rail shooter sort of let me down a little, but that doesn't mean that it's gonna be a terrible game or another boring rail shooter, Prime wasn't just "another First Person shooter" either, it's an adventure. There's plenty of time before the game releases, and you can all judge the game after EA reveals more info about, right now there's not much to say.
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 umcommon
Wow, you guys remind me of when Nintendo announce Metroid Prime going to be a First Person game instead of a side scroller and everyone was like "it's gonna fail" "I'm not gonna buy it" But it turned out to be one of the best game of all time, now I'm not saying that Dead Space Extraction will be one of the best game of all time, but you can't judge a game unless you have actually played it or have enough information on it. I admit that knowing that it is a rail shooter sort of let me down a little, but that doesn't mean that it's gonna be a terrible game or another boring rail shooter, Prime wasn't just "another First Person shooter" either, it's an adventure. There's plenty of time before the game releases, and you can all judge the game after EA reveals more info about, right now there's not much to say.King-gamer
That's different though. The game hadn't been on a console since SNES, gaming evolved into 3D during N64 so that was expected. Plus FPS (FPA) games are popular. Sorry but this would be like a dev taking a great 360 game like Halo, Gears, etc and making it on rails........ no one would buy it and they would get huge backlash, kinda like what EA is getting right now and rightfully so.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 ActicEdge

Dude, I bought a wii for out of the ordinary ideas, I bought Z-dub for Goodness sakes, a rail shooter is not out of the ordinary, this is EA being lazy. Without turning this into a SW comment, crap like a spin off in another genre would not be pulled on the other consoles but is always pulled out on the wii and people always defend it. I won't question why but don't expect me to conform to your way of thinking.

On rails isn't out of the ordinary, Zack and wiki is out of the ordinary. On rails is just something not done on consoles but since consoles aren't the only form of gaming, you have no point. Unless you know, I haven't played tons of arcade games on rails.

You can believe EA is taking the wii seriously if you want, I however know better than to consider an on rails version of an open world 3rd person shooter serious suppot. You'll need a better argument then out of the ordinary and Dead Space (a 3rd person horror game for god sakes) to make a point about this issue.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 JordanElek

On rails isn't out of the ordinary, Zack and wiki is out of the ordinary. On rails is just something not done on consoles but since consoles aren't the only form of gaming, you have no point.ActicEdge

You could say the same for point and click adventures. The fact is that neither genre is established in the console market whatsoever, and it isn't crazy for EA to want to tap into the point-and-shoot genre on the Wii if they think they can take the top spot. It's actually a pretty smart move.

It's hard for me to argue about the what-ifs in Dead Space as a third-person shooter since I haven't played the original. There could be many reasons for them to think that it wouldn't translate well enough to be a big seller on the Wii. It could be that they're just waiting to bring the next multiplat third-person shooter installment of the franchise to all three consoles, rather than porting the first one to the Wii or making an entirely new one as a Wii-exclusive.

I've said it again and again over the past few days.... It's fine to be disappointed, but we have to look at the game that's actually being made. So far, for what it's trying to be, it looks like it has some potential. Just because this game is on rails doesn't mean that the Wii won't see a third-person installment in the future, if EA decides that the market is ready for it. People seem to be taking this game's direction as EA saying "Screw you Wii owners!" That doesn't make any sense. They're making a business decision. We'll have to wait and see if it was actually a good one or not.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]On rails isn't out of the ordinary, Zack and wiki is out of the ordinary. On rails is just something not done on consoles but since consoles aren't the only form of gaming, you have no point.JordanElek

You could say the same for point and click adventures. The fact is that neither genre is established in the console market whatsoever, and it isn't crazy for EA to want to tap into the point-and-shoot genre on the Wii if they think they can take the top spot. It's actually a pretty smart move.

It's hard for me to argue about the what-ifs in Dead Space as a third-person shooter since I haven't played the original. There could be many reasons for them to think that it wouldn't translate well enough to be a big seller on the Wii. It could be that they're just waiting to bring the next multiplat third-person shooter installment of the franchise to all three consoles, rather than porting the first one to the Wii or making an entirely new one as a Wii-exclusive.

I've said it again and again over the past few days.... It's fine to be disappointed, but we have to look at the game that's actually being made. So far, for what it's trying to be, it looks like it has some potential. Just because this game is on rails doesn't mean that the Wii won't see a third-person installment in the future, if EA decides that the market is ready for it. People seem to be taking this game's direction as EA saying "Screw you Wii owners!" That doesn't make any sense. They're making a business decision. We'll have to wait and see if it was actually a good one or not.

I'm not arguing that, this isn't a "hate EA because they made a rail shooter". I never once stated that. This is EA not being clear on there intentions? The game will probably be good, I don't care, that's not my point. EA made this game seem like it would be big, the game wii owners had been finally waiting for, and they lied. That is why people are disappointed. It doesn't matter what EA does after this, the damage has already been done. Or am I wrong?

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 JordanElek

This is EA not being clear on there intentions? The game will probably be good, I don't care, that's not my point. EA made this game seem like it would be big, the game wii owners had been finally waiting for, and they lied. That is why people are disappointed. It doesn't matter what EA does after this, the damage has already been done. Or am I wrong?ActicEdge
See my post in Jaysonguy's thread. EA didn't make the game seem like that at all. All we got was a PR statement that said the Wii would get a Dead Space game of the "same quality and fear factor" as the original game. The hype was built by (possibly) editorialists and (definitely) gamers.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]This is EA not being clear on there intentions? The game will probably be good, I don't care, that's not my point. EA made this game seem like it would be big, the game wii owners had been finally waiting for, and they lied. That is why people are disappointed. It doesn't matter what EA does after this, the damage has already been done. Or am I wrong?JordanElek

See my post in Jaysonguy's thread. EA didn't make the game seem like that at all. All we got was a PR statement that said the Wii would get a Dead Space game of the "same quality and fear factor" as the original game. The hype was built by (possibly) editorialists and (definitely) gamers.

There was a lot more to it than that but like my previous post said, forget it, I'm done talking about this.