72 Hour Zelda Marathon!

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zeriva
Member since 2007 • 4531 Posts

A group called The Speed Gamers will be doing a 72 Hour Zelda Marathon. They will try to complete all 13 Zelda games live on webcam.

List of Games:

* The Legend of Zelda
* Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
* A Link to the Past
* Link's Awakening
* The Ocarina of Time
* Majora's Mask
* Oracle of Ages
* Oracle of Seasons
* The Wind Waker
* The Minish Cap
* Twilight Princess
* Phantom Hourglass
* Four Swords Adventures

The marathon starts March 13 at 6:00 P.M. Central. You can watch the marathon on their site, and chat with the players and the community.

http://www.thespeedgamers.com/

They will be raising money for Ally's House, a group which helps with medical and other expenses of the families with children undergoing Cancer treatment. The Speed Gamers have raised OVER 15,000 in total. It's going to be an awesome marathon. :D

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts
Oh I love these things. lol Thanks for the heads up!
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lol
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zeriva
considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolgarrett_duffman
They've been preparing for this for a long time, they'll make it happen.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexSays
considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolgarrett_duffman
Yeah the last people that tried this failed. So I look at this one of two ways.... 1.) They'll do something crazy for a good cause and it'll be fun to watch 2..) They'll make fools of themselves for a good cause and fail miserably, and it'lll be fun to watch Either way it's a win win. Plus I've played all these except Wind Waker, which I'm playing now, and parts of Twilight Princess, so it's entertaining so see people screw up on things I had trouble with.
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlexSays
They've been preparing for this for a long time, they'll make it happen.zeriva
As in playing through these games? Because if they just rush through without any problems that'll be no fun. The Mario one was great because those guys got stuck on every little thing. lol
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 zeriva
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolAlexSays
Yeah the last people that tried this failed. So I look at this one of two ways.... 1.) They'll do something crazy for a good cause and it'll be fun to watch 2..) They'll make fools of themselves for a good cause and fail miserably, and it'lll be fun to watch Either way it's a win win. Plus I've played all these except Wind Waker, which I'm playing now, and parts of Twilight Princess, so it's entertaining so see people screw up on things I had trouble with.

Haha, just watch the marathon and you'll see them destroy all the games.
boxofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 boxofwit
Member since 2007 • 947 Posts

They'll probably use cheats, i saw TP done in 10 minutes.

zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeriva
[QUOTE="zeriva"]They've been preparing for this for a long time, they'll make it happen.AlexSays
As in playing through these games? Because if they just rush through without any problems that'll be no fun. The Mario one was great because those guys got stuck on every little thing. lol

They'll play through all of them. As I said, they've been preparing for this for a long time. They will also be giving away prizes during the marathon.
Avatar image for garrett_duffman
garrett_duffman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 garrett_duffman
Member since 2004 • 10684 Posts
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolAlexSays

lol yea. i am pretty good at TP, i 100% it in 50 hours, i dont mess up alot when im just trying to beat it, or wander, and it still takes like 40 hours... 30 is a REALLY good player lol. i dont know HOW anyone speed runs through WW as 40% of the time in the game is sailing... MM and OoT could probably be knocked out in about 15-20 hours, and LOZ taking about 3 or so hours, if you know where your going and really burst through. im thinking they are gonna fail, they might make it to TP, but they wont be too far into it, maybe half-way.
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zeriva

They'll probably use cheats, i saw TP done in 10 minutes.

boxofwit
Nope, playing the game it was meant to be played. They don't cheat.
XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XDXDXDXDXDXDXD
Member since 2007 • 2399 Posts

wow. this should be interesting.

AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexSays
They'll play through all of them. As I said, they've been preparing for this for a long time. They will also be giving away prizes during the marathon.zeriva
No I mean how have they been preparing? If it's by playing the games over and over so they already know everything I'll be a little disappointed. It's always nice to see someone a little confused. lol
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 zeriva

[QUOTE="zeriva"]They'll play through all of them. As I said, they've been preparing for this for a long time. They will also be giving away prizes during the marathon.AlexSays
No I mean how have they been preparing? If it's by playing the games over and over so they already know everything I'll be a little disappointed. It's always nice to see someone a little confused. lol

Yes, by playing over and over again. You won't be disappointed though, as it will be a great marathon and you can always talk with the chat. There will be people commentating to keep the chat alive.

Here's an example of how the stream will look.

darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
Should be interesting, although I highly doubt that there'll manage to do it. I can see them getting to TP, but not through it. Fairly length game in it's own right, OOT, MM, and WW will also take a nice amount of time. The rest of the games shouldn't pose a problem though... I can personally blow through LTTP on 100% in a matter of hours, but, I've beaten that game so many times I can pretty much tell you the location of every heart piece and item...and get through a lot of dungeons without needing to enter any room more than once or twice (basically, as few times as needed). So it'll be interesting to see how far they get.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

These guys are called the SpeedGamers for a reason. Twilight Princess can be beaten in ten hours and the same with Wind Waker. These are the same guys that beat 10 Mario games in under 24 hours.

EDIT: It should also be noted that they are playing through Master Quest, not the regular OoT. Yes, they are THAT hardcore.

link027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 link027
Member since 2008 • 1110 Posts
i can't get the feed
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexSays
These are the same guys that beat 10 Mario games in under 24 hours.Rocky32189
Oh then that's good news. The last marathon was great because they kept things entertaining. I was worried this marathon would just be about rushing through the games, but if it's the same guys, then we're okay.
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zeriva

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolRocky32189

These guys are called the SpeedGamers for a reason. Twilight Princess can be beaten in ten hours and the same with Wind Waker. These are the same guys that beat 10 Mario games in under 24 hours.

EDIT: It should also be noted that they are playing through Master Quest, not the regular OoT. Yes, they are THAT hardcore.

Sweet, a guy who's watched their previous marathons. I'm guessing you'll be watching? :P

zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zeriva
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]These are the same guys that beat 10 Mario games in under 24 hours.AlexSays
Oh then that's good news. The last marathon was great because they kept things entertaining. I was worried this marathon would just be about rushing through the games, but if it's the same guys, then we're okay.

Yup, I'm telling you these guys will destroy Zelda. :D
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rocky32189

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolzeriva

Sweet, a guy who's watched their previous marathons. I'm guessing you'll be watching? :P

Yes, I've watched all their marathons except the first two Zelda ones and the Halloween one (completely forgot about it).
Pesantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Pesantez
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts
[QUOTE="AlexSays"][QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolgarrett_duffman

lol yea. i am pretty good at TP, i 100% it in 50 hours, i dont mess up alot when im just trying to beat it, or wander, and it still takes like 40 hours... 30 is a REALLY good player lol. i dont know HOW anyone speed runs through WW as 40% of the time in the game is sailing... MM and OoT could probably be knocked out in about 15-20 hours, and LOZ taking about 3 or so hours, if you know where your going and really burst through. im thinking they are gonna fail, they might make it to TP, but they wont be too far into it, maybe half-way.

I did tp in 30 hours. Couldn't believe it.
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zeriva
[QUOTE="zeriva"]

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"] These guys are called the SpeedGamers for a reason. Twilight Princess can be beaten in ten hours and the same with Wind Waker. These are the same guys that beat 10 Mario games in under 24 hours.

Rocky32189

Yes, I've watched all their marathons except the first two Zelda ones and the Halloween one (completely forgot about it).

Yeah, I also missed their first two marathons. Glad to hear you'll be watching.
Myrrth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Myrrth
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I'm MSico from The Speed Gamers, and I'm going to be playing Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Twilight Princess (as well as splitting FSA and the CDi Zeldas, which I bought personally from eBay). I've been running Twilight Princess over the last couple of days... As of last night I got from the intro all the way through the Lakebed Temple in 3 hours and 42 minutes. And no I am not cheating or sequence breaking. Come watch us p'own some Zelda this weekend, it should be really fun! We'll be giving away lots of prizes. And if you don't believe me... just come check us out. ;)
zeriva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeriva
[QUOTE="Myrrth"]I'm MSico from The Speed Gamers, and I'm going to be playing Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Twilight Princess (as well as splitting FSA and the CDi Zeldas, which I bought personally from eBay). I've been running Twilight Princess over the last couple of days... As of last night I got from the intro all the way through the Lakebed Temple in 3 hours and 42 minutes. And no I am not cheating or sequence breaking. Come watch us p'own some Zelda this weekend, it should be really fun! We'll be giving away lots of prizes. And if you don't believe me... just come check us out. ;)

Haha, knew it had to be you when I saw your username. Msico here is beast. Watch the marathon and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ninboycl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ninboycl
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Myrrth"]I'm MSico from The Speed Gamers, and I'm going to be playing Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Twilight Princess (as well as splitting FSA and the CDi Zeldas, which I bought personally from eBay). I've been running Twilight Princess over the last couple of days... As of last night I got from the intro all the way through the Lakebed Temple in 3 hours and 42 minutes. And no I am not cheating or sequence breaking. Come watch us p'own some Zelda this weekend, it should be really fun! We'll be giving away lots of prizes. And if you don't believe me... just come check us out. ;)

I'm Ninboycl from The Speed Gamers, and Phil is the mans with the hats. He can make things happen, like making CD-i zelda FUN! *Har Har, good luck with that Phil :P*
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Head_of_games
Member since 2007 • 10859 Posts
By "complete", I assume they mean speed through the game as fast as possible and beat the final boss. Have they played the games before? Will they be using guides? I think it would be more interesting if they have no idea what they are doing, even if that meant they got an extra day.
SolemnJedi79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolemnJedi79
Member since 2005 • 397 Posts
[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"][QUOTE="AlexSays"] Yeah the last people that tried this failed. So I look at this one of two ways.... 1.) They'll do something crazy for a good cause and it'll be fun to watch 2..) They'll make fools of themselves for a good cause and fail miserably, and it'lll be fun to watch Either way it's a win win. Plus I've played all these except Wind Waker, which I'm playing now, and parts of Twilight Princess, so it's entertaining so see people screw up on things I had trouble with.Pesantez

I did tp in 30 hours. Couldn't believe it.

I did TP in 27 hours on my first playthrough, so saying it takes a REALLY good player to hit 30 hours.. well I must be either that good (doubtful) or that was a slight exaggeration :P Be interesting to watch this, but I'm not sure I have the time.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocky32189
By "complete", I assume they mean speed through the game as fast as possible and beat the final boss. Have they played the games before? Will they be using guides? I think it would be more interesting if they have no idea what they are doing, even if that meant they got an extra day. Head_of_games
Yes, they are speed running the games without sequence breaking/cheating. They will play until the credits roll. Yes, of course they've played the games before. How else would they beat 13 Zelda games in only 72 hours.
baltes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 baltes
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
hey, this is Baltes, i'm the Links Awakening player for this. we've all played and practically memorized the games we're going to be playing...we plan to absolutely destroy each game, one by one. and someone is getting pepper sprayed :p
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Head_of_games

You're playing the CDi Zeldas? May god have mercy on your soul, those things are horrible!
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Head_of_games
Oh, and guys, do you have an archive of your old marathons? I want to see you guys in action! And will we be able to rewind and pause the live video?
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

i can't wait! good luck guys!

Durhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 Durhamster
Member since 2007 • 859 Posts

Playing Zelda for 72 hours straight? Sounds like torture to me...

Myrrth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Myrrth
Oh, and guys, do you have an archive of your old marathons? I want to see you guys in action! And will we be able to rewind and pause the live video?Head_of_games
There were a couple of people ambitious enough to rip the streaming video and archive the Metroid marathon and I believe parts of our Pokemon marathon, but I don't know where they are anymore... because I don't really have a reason to go back and watch us... :P lol There will not be a way to rewind the live video, no. You can pause it but when you push play it jumps forward to real time again. If someone comes along and records us that's fine, but we use Ustream so the video will be live nonstop.
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
I am guessing they are playing multiple games at once because there is no way they can do it one after another.
Myrrth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Myrrth
I am guessing they are playing multiple games at once because there is no way they can do it one after another.wooooode
Er, you saw where I'm going to be playing 5 games not including CDi? We're doing each game one-after-the-other in the order that they were released (except CDi, those are at the very very end as a bonus). In my current run I just got to the Temple of Time with 5:54 on my save file. Trust me, we're going to do this. Watch us if you don't believe :D
Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Head_of_games
It's on! Awesome!
jackpotco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jackpotco
Member since 2007 • 1561 Posts
Wow... I think thats genius to get money for the needed by doing these stuff. Good luck to them though, I won't have time to watch it
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

These guys are called the SpeedGamers for a reason. Rocky32189

...I really can't agree with that.:? I've seen some of their work,and honestly,they have done a terrible job at living up to their name.I say this as a fan of speed run videos and as an amateur speed runner myself.Their attempted Pokemon run was especially abysmal.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Head_of_games

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]These guys are called the SpeedGamers for a reason. VGobbsesser

...I really can't agree with that.:? I've seen some of their work,and honestly,they have done a terrible job at living up to their name.I say this as a fan of speed run videos and as an amateur speed runner myself.Their attempted Pokemon run was especially abysmal.

They seem to be doing good so far. Check out the vid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

They seem to be doing good so far. Check out the vid.Head_of_games

I'm talking more about pure speed.Their route optimization and planning is sub-par,there are too many time-wasting mistakes,and I have seen a number of potential sequence breaks and exploits that they have missed.No disrespect to the Speed Gamers; I understand they are doing this for a good cause,but analyzing this from a speed runner's point of view,I'm not impressed.

alphamale1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 alphamale1989
Member since 2008 • 3134 Posts
Google says that the record for LoZ (NES) is about 35 minutes, this looks like its going to be about an hour and a half. Tsk, tsk.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

[QUOTE="garrett_duffman"]considering TP alone costs you about 30 hours... and WW costing a little less... good luck lolRocky32189

Thats not that hard to do, the first few Mario games can be blown through, especially if you can use shortcuts. The later ones like 64 and Galaxy well you don't need all 120 stars so they can be beat in like 4 hours each. I wish them good luck but unless they use they use a ton of shortcuts I dont see it happening.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Thats not that hard to do, the first few Mario games can be blown through, especially if you can use shortcuts. The later ones like 64 and Galaxy well you don't need all 120 stars so they can be beat in like 4 hours each. I wish them good luck but unless they use they use a ton of shortcuts I dont see it happening. Sepewrath

Super Mario 64 can be beaten in less than 45 minutes with a moderate amount of skill and practice.

Head_of_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Head_of_games
The guy just maced himself!
bestibomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bestibomber
Member since 2009 • 659 Posts

They just finished the first Zelda.

Wikipedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Wikipedian
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

And the money is going to a good cause. Funding a cancer house. That's awesome.

KudoS17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KudoS17
Member since 2008 • 1050 Posts

I love these marothons

whosgotthe311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 whosgotthe311
Member since 2003 • 665 Posts

Should be interesting, although I highly doubt that there'll manage to do it. I can see them getting to TP, but not through it. Fairly length game in it's own right, OOT, MM, and WW will also take a nice amount of time. The rest of the games shouldn't pose a problem though... I can personally blow through LTTP on 100% in a matter of hours, but, I've beaten that game so many times I can pretty much tell you the location of every heart piece and item...and get through a lot of dungeons without needing to enter any room more than once or twice (basically, as few times as needed). So it'll be interesting to see how far they get.darkslider99

Im the same way about LTTP. Got it on SNES and GBA lol.

At least they are doing it for a good cause and not just publicity or a YouTube video.