3DS attachable 2nd circle pad confirmed!!

• 172 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smithers_109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 smithers_109
Member since 2004 • 1324 Posts

It looks butt-ugly as hell...but I suppose the system needs a second circle pad. Honestly, the design reminds me of the days of SEGA and its Megadrive attachments. NOT a good look :(

LINK:

http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/119/1192682p1.html

Hunimyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hunimyx
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts
It may not look nice, but it looks comfy.. and that's what counts! :3 Yeah, the system does need one though. I hope the currently released 3DS games will be effected with it!
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts
Oh God please NO!! Seriously, it's ridiculous to go in an add a second analog stick after already designing the console. This is going to be difficult for game developers as they will have to design the games with the "normal" inputs and with this tumor-like thing growing off of the handheld. Nintendo, it's too late to put another stick in. You should have thought of it in the first place. Sure, it would have been nice, but stick to what you originally had. *sigh* I feel like there have been so many bad business decisions in the video game industry lately.
crispyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 crispyo
Member since 2005 • 1801 Posts
Wow. It outdoes the Wii U in fugliness.
PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

If this is true (I still have my doubts), then I will honestly be really pissed that I got a 3DS. This is just sad right here.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

If true, then I regret buying a 3DS so soon. Especially if future games force you to use the 2nd circle pad.

Hunimyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hunimyx
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

If true, then I regret buying a 3DS so soon. Especially if future games force you to use the 2nd circle pad.

ANIMEguy10034
Well, unless I read it wrong, it's an add-on so you won't need to buy another 3DS or anything. Plus, they didn't state yet if it will be required for all the games, or just some. :) I don't see the real problem though. Besides how it looks, I think it's a good idea! :3
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
It looks bad! I only hope it is an optional accessory as the CC controller for Wii. I wouldn't mind controlling the camera with the motion sensor at all, even if I have to sacrifice the 3D
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

ANIMEguy10034
That is rather unlikely, I'm surprised that they would do this, particularly if its just going to be a barely used peripheral. Seems like a really bad idea.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Yeah, I hate the look of the thing. Won't buy it unless it's absolutely required by future games.
norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

That looks so unnatural... If this becomes a must have I will nerd rage at all Gamestops until Nintendo releases a 3DS model with the pad built in under the B,A,X,Y.

ChibiXRiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChibiXRiku
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts
Ffs Nintendo, Learn to plan better. Thing looks like an abortion.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
So I guess that means we'll see a revised 3DS early next year with the circle pad already on the handheld - and probably larger screens and a bigger battery as the expanded controls will give a bit more room for that. My own foolishness for buying a handheld for its future potential, I guess.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I pray this is fake... seriously...

Nintendo: Yeah, we didn't really put much thought into this thing.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

I said this in another thread but I am 100% selling my 3DS if this peripheral is a permanent thing and not just a one game thing. I wont jump to conclusions just yet...

JollyGreenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JollyGreenOne
Member since 2011 • 1001 Posts

I don't care about how it looks (which isn't THAT bad), what I do care about is what this means for future 3DS games and their controls. Will we get more console like games, more ports from old consoles like PS2, more FPS's? This will definitely help games like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil: Revelations and any others that should benefit from a second analog pad.

Price and comfort of the add-on also matter, it's been rumored that it'll only be $10 and for that price I don't mind much. Also from the picture it doesn't look uncomfortable which is important for a handheld of course.

When I cover the top half of the 3DS on that picture the bottom totally looks like the Wii U's controller, it makes me wonder if this has anything to do with Wii U.

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
this has got to be fake.. Nintendo finally comes out with a decent piece of hardware and then they do this crap? I doubt it, this is the last thing the 3DS needs right now, how about some games instead?
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Looks ugly, but it seems like it's in a good placement. When I hold my 3DS, the analog stick just to the right of the XYAB buttons has a nice feel to it.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

I would rather wait a year or 2 for Nintendo to make this http://myona.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/3DS_right_analog-300x296.jpg

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
How does this instill consumer confidence to ANY degree? I have a 3DS and will be so upset if this whole thing is really. It makes Nintendo look like they're indecisive and scrambling.
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
This isn't a one game thing, do you really think devs would not take advantage of it now that its done? I'm just happy I had more sense than to spend $300 to play a doa remake. Next year the patient folks get a good price, more features, and maybe even original games lol
Chano_Safc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Chano_Safc
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

I can't believe this is happening. Sure its a nice feature adding another circle pad but it looks completely ugly. Nintendo I maybe one of a few people that say this but YOU DON'T NEED THE 2ND CIRCLE PAD. When the first and good third party games come out for the 3ds it will sell like hotcakes. Please don't do this you are digging your own grave even deeper.

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

no.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

Pick a possibility!

• "Ambassador Programe 2.0", following the announcement of a new 3DS model (leads to angry early adopters)
  • 3rd Party peripheral, bundled with MH 3DS? and used exclusively for this game (leads to angry investors)
  • It's Fake

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Pick a possibility!

• "Ambassador Programe 2.0", following the announcement of a new 3DS model (leads to angry early adopters)
  • 3rd Party peripheral, bundled with MH 3DS? and used exclusively for this game (leads to angry investors)
  • It's Fake

SuperFlakeman

What?

Where's the most likely possibility?:

• 1st Party peripheral, bundled with MH 3DS, and can be used for any game a developer feels the need for (and may be bundled with other games in the future and possibily bundled with the system in the future - and then in a few years, there may be a redesign).
Francision69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Francision69
Member since 2007 • 1763 Posts
SOOO UGLY!
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts

I'll take a step back a second and approach this sensibly rather than shout angry abuse at Nintendo. Fact is, the 3DS needs a second slide pad. The extra shoulder buttons are welcome too. If this thing is cheap, I will buy it because I want that extra functionality. Secondly, it's not the end of the world; video game systems have long had addon peripherals and this is just another one.

Clearly though, Nintendo have made some horrific decisions with the 3DS. But at least we're getting them corrected. The price was wrong, the 3D has been over-emphasised and the controls clearly weren't bad, but were lacking. I welcome the 20 free games, and I welcome them actually having the guts to release this thing as a peripheral, rather than waiting for the next 3DS redesign or next gen handheld.

This is Nintendo saying, perhaps indirectly; we screwed up. They should expect a hell of a lot of angry customers though; just because I don't mind this addon, doesn't mean a lot of people won't. And they have every right to be upset or angry. But this, in my opinion, is the only solution to the lack of a second stick/circle pad.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SuperFlakeman

What?

Where's the most likely possibility?:

• 1st Party peripheral, bundled with MH 3DS, and can be used for any game a developer feels the need for (and may be bundled with other games in the future and possibily bundled with the system in the future - and then in a few years, there may be a redesign).

trugs26

You're elaborating on my first alternative?

"Ambassador 2.0" refers to the fact that it's 1st party, and that it's an addon early adopters could get to play potential future games, while others will have this stuff built in if they buy the inevitable redesign.

I think Fake is out of the question as NoE has confirmed it.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

After the last 2 handheld generations, people ought to realize by now that being an early adopter means you get the short end of the stick :lol:

GBA SP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GBA
DSLite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS

soon to be: 3DSLite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3DS+Add-on

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Well to be honest if they wanted a second circle pad on the 3DS it's either this or a console redesign, and redesigning now would be suicide. At least this one means that there's actually an option to use it or not, and not forcing the 2nd circle pad on game makers.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I dont get it...why would they do this?The touch screen works fine as a second analog, plus this is a handheld it doesnt has to have console like controls devs should make games for the system has.And as far I know nobody really asked for a second analog (exept maby the psp owners).

I own a 3DS and I love it I never thought it needed a second analog the thought didnt even come to my mind.It just seems like nintendo keeps shooting themselves in the foot now, first the crazy price drop now this what the hell?Im still supporting the system though no way in hell im going to sell it with all those awesome games coming out!

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SuperFlakeman

After the last 2 handheld generations, people ought to realize by now that being an early adopter means you get the short end of the stick :lol:

nitekids2004

I prefer GBA over GBA SP, ?

DS Lite > DS phat, however there was no drastic pricecut or anything crazy, and the redesign hit 2 years after phat so it was reasonable, ?

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
If true (big if), how could Nintendo screw up the 3DS SOOOOO badly...the whole thing has been a terrible mistake IMO. This after the monumental success of the DS. This is a system killer if true as it will segment your user base. -most gamers do not post on game sites -this creates a user base where some are educated about the system and most are not -this means developers do not know what to do (who to make games for)...so they make games that work for both...but when you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts

People are making an assumption, if a likely one, that Nintendo will be releasing a redesigned 3DS with a second analog stick. The idea that 4 million people may have bought a 3DS early, again, is what is making everybody angry. Let's assume for a second that this analog attachment is always going to be a seperate, optional attachment for the console and that no hardware revisions to the 3DS will include this second analog stick. If this were the case, the hardcore would still have an optional, arguably preferable control set up for particular games, and at the same time nobody else is going to fear that their handheld will go unsupported without it.

Remember that Monster Hunter 3G does not require this analog attachment in order to play it. Rather it exists as an optional control method that will cater towards the hardcore gamers who prefer such a set up. As was the case with the Classic Controller Pro on the Wii.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rawsavon
But then you have 4 million + units out there that may or may not have the attachment (assuming that it is incorporated to a later model 3DS). A developer has to then decide if they should make a game that uses it or not...and if they use it, will it be required. This is a HUGE decision to make for a developer. They cannot assume that the early adopters are hardcore gamers 'in the know' (ones that would post on a gamesite and know what is going on). In fact, most of Nintendo's users are not. This creates a scenario that is doomed to fail (same with most every system add on).
Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
Again, you have to assume it is incorporated into later models, which isn't the case just yet. If it is though, then yes things are looking grim.
nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

SuperFlakeman

DS Lite > DS phat, however there was no drastic pricecut or anything crazy, and the redesign hit 2 years after phat so it was reasonable, ?

You prefer GBA over GBA SP?

You must be in the minority, because the addition of a backlight was godsend. Add to that the plug-in battery andits lightweight-ness (easier to carry)I'm not really sure why you prefer the original.

The DSLite was far superior aesthetic-wise that the original DS feels like a generation behind. Completely understandable though.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon
Again, you have to assume it is incorporated into later models, which isn't the case just yet. If it is though, then yes things are looking grim. Raiko101
I would say (given their history) odds are it will be incorporated. If it is not, then it is just a doomed add on (which is no big deal compared to a doomed system if it is incorporated)
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts

Now I actually hope they announce a 3DS redesign so can exchange mine at GameStop.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

People are making an assumption, if a likely one, that Nintendo will be releasing a redesigned 3DS with a second analog stick. The idea that 4 million people may have bought a 3DS early, again, is what is making everybody angry. Let's assume for a second that this analog attachment is always going to be a seperate, optional attachment for the console and that no hardware revisions to the 3DS will include this second analog stick. If this were the case, the hardcore would still have an optional, arguably preferable control set up for particular games, and at the same time nobody else is going to fear that their handheld will go unsupported without it.

Remember that Monster Hunter 3G does not require this analog attachment in order to play it. Rather it exists as an optional control method that will cater towards the hardcore gamers who prefer such a set up. As was the case with the Classic Controller Pro on the Wii.

Raiko101
That would be OK, but if you look at the classic controller, Wii motion plus and Wii fit. They all had limited support from 3rd party's (and Nintendo), it is only because of the virtual console and a handful of store bought games that they were used. It just seems a bit pointless to release this add on, as they will still need to design games around the classic design, because there is no way they can just assume all 3DS owners will pick up this thing. The only way they can really get this supported is by doing a redesign soon, but either way through re design or just a peripheral, I can't see this working out.
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#42 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts

That looks kinda ugly, i think i will wait a while before making a 3DS purchase, im not buying that thing. I cant believe it didn't cross their minds while designing the 3ds that a second analog would be a good idea.

Avatar image for ButteredToast89
ButteredToast89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ButteredToast89
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

My first reaction was thinking that it's pretty odd and looks stupid, just like many of you. But after looking at it and thinking about it, I think it actually doesn't seem that bad. One of my complaints with the DS/3DS squared form is that it hurts my hands after extended play time and feels cramped.

Looking at the addon, it seems to add some bulk and curves to make the device feel more like a console controller that fits your hands which is far more comfortable to hold for longer amounts of time.

Just my 2 cents. I know I know, "Nintendo is doomed" anyway. I wouldn't mind spending $10 on it, it will make the device more confortable to hold and there will be new games that make use of the 2nd circle pad. Everyone can say all that they want that the touch screen is far better for FPS games and the like, but the reality is that it is insanely uncomfortable to hold the system with one hand using the circle pad and L trigger while also using the touchscreen to aim.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Only confirms that I'm never getting first gen nintendo systems. It looks disgusting too.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

Nintendo couldn't win with this at all. They release a new model (which is going to come eventually with a bulit in pad) and make everyone who bought a launch one angry. Or they release an add on which splinters the user base

Neither is perferable but both are going to happen

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="nitekids2004"]

nitekids2004

You prefer GBA over GBA SP?

You must be in the minority, because the addition of a backlight was godsend. Add to that the plug-in battery andits lightweight-ness (easier to carry)I'm not really sure why you prefer the original.

The DSLite was far superior aesthetic-wise that the original DS feels like a generation behind. Completely understandable though.

:P The only game for me that was heavily in need of higher brightness was the first gba castlevania. It's mostly about the form itself though

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

What has happened to Nintendo in the past year...? They had so much momentum and now they're just making one horrible decision after another.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Doesn't bother me, would be nice if it allowed for intereaction or control with the WiiU with this peripherial.

Aqua3D-Player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Aqua3D-Player
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If it's true, then Nintendo should give us another discount and future purchase.
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I pray this is fake... seriously...

Nintendo: Yeah, we didn't really put much thought into this thing.

Pixel-Perfect

My response to nintendo: If you want a product to succeed, games, games, games. There was plenty of room to put a second analog pad under the four small buttons. >>