what once-beloved series is now dead to you?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

Play the NES version of FFI. IT is much much harder than FFVII, which is a cakewalk. Even the supposed hard as hell final boss ISD A CAKEWALK! Sephiroth is easy. Just keep your shielding spells up and you will be fine. Fight Zeromus. There is a final boss FFVII is so overrated.

Please don't tell me what to do in FFs. I'm pretty sure I've done it all. And your last sentence makes no sense.

Furthermore, the second half of FFVI is almost certainly the most non linear thing that the FF series has ever done, save maybe the game no one likes to think abopu: FFX-2 (And even that managed to feel linear)

Yes, I know.

The materia system was, essentially, a rip off of the ESPer system, and not a good one, as it did not even alllow you to learn skills. How sad is that? The moment I switch out the materia, I loose that skill. IF I spend so damn long working on it, I want some lasting benefits, not that.

Materia and Espers aren't even remotely related. This is gibberish.

Want chioce? Play FFV. There's your choice. You can have a primary and secondary ****for every character from a range of something like 30 ****s. THAT'S choice. Want a dragoon that can heal? You can have it.

FF V is one of the worst FFs ever made; it featured an archaic version of the Job system that was essentially perfected in FF Tactics. It consisted of cla-sses, just like in many other FFs. The only "choice" you had was to choose a particular job, which came with it's own set of pre-existing skills and abilities. No such thing with Materia, as you could pick and choose any and all skills, abilities and magic to use. You couldn't very well take a random skill from the Red Mage and slap it on the Monk, now could you?

There is only one game in the whole of hte FF franchise that can honestly be called well scripted, and that is Final Fantasy XII. The rest of it is competent scripting that gets the job done, but isn't exactly Stanley Kubrick quality.

Kubrick is massively overrated in the first place. In the second place, FF XII does have the best scripting, but I don't know what that has to do with anything in this discussion.

And to prove your wrong about having lots of choices meaning the story isn't coherent, Knights of hte Old Republic has a fantastic, non linear story where you make loads of personal choices all throughout, and it all effects both immediate and long term outcomes, but it still manages to be very coherent.

Much of KotoR isn't based on "choice." Just because you can choose to be good or bad doesn't mean you have control. In order to keep a story, you have to follow a script, and to do that, there has to be existing plots to follow. Just because you follow the bad side doesn't mean anything can happen; you're simply following another storyline, that's all. Yes, there is more "choice" but one can hardly call it "freedom." It's more like those old Choose Your Own Adventure books; you can choose your path, but you can't alter that path very much at all. If you could, the storyline wouldn't make much sense, would it?

AquaMantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#102 AquaMantor
Member since 2004 • 7571 Posts

Wow, Final Fantasy and Zelda are popping up everywhere, which is funny because those are still very much considered the greatest game series of all time. Then again, I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since X, and man did I ever hate that game.

Heck, I find that I strongly dislike most FF stories. The characters are just too unbelievable, IMO. They aren't very human.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

Wow, Final Fantasy and Zelda are popping up everywhere, which is funny because those are still very much considered the greatest game series of all time. Then again, I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since X, and man did I ever hate that game.

Heck, I find that I strongly dislike most FF stories. The characters are just too unbelievable, IMO. They aren't very human.

AquaMantor

do yourself a favour and keep it that way 

ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts
  • Every Mario game/series after the SNES era.   They milk this character so bad that it's not even funny not to mention that over 90% of the games are really sub-par.   Quite frankly, I'd be happy to see Nintendo put Mario to sleep but we all know that won't ever happen.
  • Mortal kombat.   Okay, I did enjoy the last 3 MK games but seriously, the story has been getting dragged through the dirt, characters are coming back to life after they died.   The whole MK universe and the characters is quite old.   From what I hear, they are finished with MK and are making a new fighting game but yet, they are bringing back fan favorites like Scorpion and Sub-Zero and if you ask me, this completely defeats the entire purpose of starting a whole new series.   Lame.
  • Ghost Recon.   The best Ghost Recon game was the original and its expansions Desert Siege and Island Thunder.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Prince of Persia.
lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
Mario and Pokemon. They used to be completely awesome, now they're the same regurgitated crap that Nintendo re-releases every three months. It amazes me that Nintendo can recycle their old games and make millions off of them. Nintendo fanboys truly are idiots. Quit buying the same goddamn games that you bought a year ago! All Nintendo has to do to make money nowadays is make another generic Mario/Pokemon game.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Final Fantasy:  IMHO opinion it was starting to show decline with VII(know I'll get flamed for that but oh well).  VI was the peak of the series, after that it started to decline.........and after VII it really dropped fast.

Tomb Raider:  First one was great, the second was pretty good and after that the series was pretty much done.  Shame too, considering it just felt like the publishers got lazy.

Mega Man:  Love the blue bomber and most of the games that were released but I think the last days are upon us here.  We have 16 Mega Man games and that is ONLY if you count the original series and the X series.  Add that to the fact that it just doesnt appear the effort for these games is there anymore.

Street Fighter:  Before people jump down my throat for this let me explain.  I have not given up on the series, I'm giving up on the chance of this series going any further.........at least the way it should.  With 2D gaming being declared to be on life support(with the exception of handhelds, practically the last bastion for the 2D age)  I really dont see a SFIV seeing the light of day.  If it did occur it would probably be in 3D.  Considering who has their hands on it right now I dont feel all that confident of them making a good one.  Besides, this is one series that should stay in the 2D realm IMO.

mosa911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 mosa911
Member since 2006 • 32 Posts
Mario there is nothing to the character and i dont want to buy every nintendo console to play the game.
drlove06472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#109 drlove06472
Member since 2005 • 1149 Posts
Sonic and Megaman. megaman with the net battles, zx, zero and X aahhhh! It was dead too me after I played Megaman 64.
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#111 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts

Sonic...:(nuttybar

Oh how I yearn for a good Sonic game... 

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Hmm, come to think of it, I used to be looking forward to every Tekken game. This is not the case, anymore, even if I still enjoy them.