what once-beloved series is now dead to you?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts

Changed direction, went down in quality, or just got old...

For me, it's Mortal Kombat. I've tried to like the 3D games, but they're just no fun. They seem like a lame attempt at making MK more 'complex' but they fail miserably and come off seeming clunky instead. Ah, how I miss the days of MK 2 and UMK3. :( I'm having to resist the urge to buy MK: Armageddon on the Wii - so many characters, so much nostalgia! But I know it's still the same craptacular gameplay from the previous two. Sigh.

Oh, and Sonic the Hedgehog is also dead to me... but I think that one is dead to everyone by now (except on portables, at least). 

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
X-Wing series...which is literally dead, but even if you looked at the more recent Starfighter/Rogue Squadron, the series definately took a turn for the worst.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Final Fantasy. After 7+8 its got progressively worse. Culminating with the abomination that is FF12.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts
Deus Ex, thanks to good old consolization.
nexusprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nexusprime
Member since 2004 • 877 Posts

I feel the same about UMK3. How can a developer go from the awesomness that is UMK3 to the craptacular crappy crap that armaggedeon is and not notice that somethings wrong there.

Also Bloody Roar. After 2 is was all downhill FAST from there.

Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Actually, I have another one.

The Elder Scrolls. Daggerfall was brilliant, Morrowind was...different, but not necessarily bad in its own right, but then Oblivion came along and now we no longer have an RPG on our hands. 

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Command and Conquer

It is still a good series but IMO it just stopped evolving at some point.  Sure the graphics look nice but the gameplay feels a bit stuck in the past with its slow and plodding pace. 

nuttybar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 nuttybar
Member since 2005 • 9624 Posts
Sonic...:(
faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 faridmon
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts
every Sega franchise, they just like screw every franchise that doesn't have virtua name on it (excluding virtua quest)
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Final Fantasy. Unlike others, I loved some of the more recent games, but SquareEnix may as well rename themselves to The Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest company. They're slapping the name on everything. :? Merchandising merchandising!
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#11 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Gonna have to go with Zelda. Wind Waker just completely turned me off from this game like no one else's business. Having a Wii isn't reason enough for me to try this series again after such a dissappointment.

Then again Mario Sunshine sucked in the same manner. 

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#12 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Mario Kart is actually looking kinda dead to me now. Mario Kart DS seemed to get it all right, but snaking ruined online and left a bitter taste in my mouth. Double Dash was rather underwhelming, and as much as Nintendo is my favourite developer, I don't trust them to do anything new with the series anytime soon, which would be necessary for me to bother with the next one.
Sytzepunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#13 Sytzepunk
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts
Tomb Raider, I loved the first games but then they come up with no innovation, just better graphics and no new gameplay.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

series that are dead to me- Sonic, every 3D sonic game has sucked, so unless the next 2D sonic game is really good Sonic is dead to me. Mortal Kombat, same as sonic, all the 3D games suck. those are all i can think of right now

series that are comming close to being dead to me- Zelda, Twilight Princess was good, but just as good as everyone expected, but i felt like i played it 9 years ago, it was better, and it was called Ocarina of Time. and Final Fantsy, FFXII sucked, the characters were uninteresting, the story was boring, and political, call me cheesy, but i like romantic stories in my FF games, and also they seem to be milking the series for all it's worth, i don't care how good a series is, you shouldn't make a series out of a single game in a series (refering to FFVII) 

zixarga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 zixarga
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts
Suikoden series, I really liked playing the first and second suikoden in PS, the storyline was so deep and nicely written. Suikoden III was ok to me... even though I dont really like the idea of having 3 main characters and can only use them together in the final chapter. Then, it went down hill at suikoden IV... the only addition is having a voice acting, but it doesnt seem to be done properly. Suikoden V was good, but a few minor problems here and there sometimes make me lazy to play it.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
sonic the hedghog.  the last great sonic game was sonic adventure and after that there hasnt been anywhere near a decent sonic game other than the gba ones
uncledeath2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 uncledeath2005
Member since 2005 • 5890 Posts
Gonna have to go with Sonic.....
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts

every Sega franchise, they just like screw every franchise that doesn't have virtua name on it (excluding virtua quest)faridmon

Yeah, I rant about once a month.  All the lost opportunities for Sega.  I mean, bring out some of those great Dreamast games for the PSP at least (Skies of Arcadia, Jet Grind Radio).  Even if they are just ports they'll make enough to develop some other stuff.  They have the rights to Tezuka's work and what have we gotten out of that so far -- 3 games (2 Astro and Blood WIll Tell).

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
Mortal Kombat. It died to me after UMK3. Not to say I didnt try the PS2 MK games. They just didn't have that MK feel.
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 skrutop
Member since 2002 • 2262 Posts

Mortal Kombat was sliding downhill ever since MK2, but MK4 buried it.  I tried to reconcile with Deadly Alliance, but that game was awful.

Devil May Cry is dead to me.  DMC2 was very boring and mediocre by every standard, but I didn't really like DMC3, either.  I think God of War and Ninja Gaiden showed me a better way, and DMC just doesn't stack up anymore. 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#21 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Phastasy Star......way to ruin a brilliant series SEGA-relegate your best IP to the pointless, tedious and ultimately shallow formula that is MMORPGs.  What a way to sell out one of you best games for the almighty cash cow.  You deserved what you got.

Panzer Dragoon (while not entirely dead, any new releases are too far and few between to keep the franchise alive.  And given that mostly all of the talent has left SEGA, it will slowly slide into obscurity.)  While on the topic of SEGA, mostly all of their once great series: Sonic, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, and on and on.....

Mostly eveything that once came from Square: Final Fantasy, the Mana series, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story.

All the new Castlevanias that have been done in 3D.

And so many more, that's just off the top of my head for consoles.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts

every Sega franchise, they just like screw every franchise that doesn't have virtua name on it (excluding virtua quest)faridmon

Yeah really - I'm just waiting to see what horrors they commit with the new Nights. Still crossing my fingers though... 

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 faridmon

Suikoden series, I really liked playing the first and second suikoden in PS, the storyline was so deep and nicely written. Suikoden III was ok to me... even though I dont really like the idea of having 3 main characters and can only use them together in the final chapter. Then, it went down hill at suikoden IV... the only addition is having a voice acting, but it doesnt seem to be done properly. Suikoden V was good, but a few minor problems here and there sometimes make me lazy to play it.zixarga

oh no mester, Suikoden V was the best in the series, and I liked it better than FF XII, trust me, the story was just incredible. 

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 faridmon

Gonna have to go with Zelda. Wind Waker just completely turned me off from this game like no one else's business. Having a Wii isn't reason enough for me to try this series again after such a dissappointment.

SemiMaster
just because Zelda and Mario series is the best and best selling series ever, doesn't mean you can just bash it, you know there are more series that turned in to crap, and you choose this?
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

Phastasy Star......way to ruin a brilliant series SEGA-relegate your best IP to the pointless, tedious and ultimately shallow formula that is MMORPGs.  What a way to sell out one of you best games for the almighty cash cow.  You deserved what you got.

Panzer Dragoon (while not entirely dead, any new releases are too far and few between to keep the franchise alive.  And given that mostly all of the talent has left SEGA, it will slowly slide into obscurity.)  While on the topic of SEGA, mostly all of their once great series: Sonic, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, and on and on.....

Mostly eveything that once came from Square: Final Fantasy, the Mana series, FF Tactics, Vagrant Story.

All the new Castlevanias that have been done in 3D.

And so many more, that's just off the top of my head for consoles.

Rekunta

Ah so true about PSO. But really, the original trilogy will never be dead to me. I just replayed PS4 and damn that is one fine RPG. 

flubagalub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flubagalub
Member since 2006 • 442 Posts

Resident Evil. The first two were fantastic. The third and Code Veronica were pretty good. I haven't played REmake or RE0, and they're probably alright. But the other PS2 games (Outbreak especially) sucked, and Resident Evil 4 is a good game, but I don't think they should have changed the style of the game. Maybe they could've made a completely different series for it, but it's not really comparable to the first two resident evil's.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
No once-favourite franchise is now dead to me. Well, perhaps MK, but that never was a real favourite, anyway.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Sonic...:(nuttybar

Yeah I second that. Sonic Heroes was so buggy and glitch-ridden that it single handedly destroyed a decades devotion to a franchise. 

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Homeworld.
It's a shame Relic doesn't hold the rights.
I think THQ should try and get the rights to Homeworld, so Relic can continue their excellent series.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Deus Ex, thanks to good old consolization.XaosII

Amen to that.

I'd also add these....

Fallout - Thanks to the crappy console game, and then with Bethesda grabbing up the franchise (which I highly doubt they'll be able to capture the atmosphere and essence of Fallout), this series is now dead to me.....to me, I will always remember the Fallout series (as in the true Fallout) having concluded with Fallout 2....it was great while it lasted.

Rainbow Six - The series has gone from being one that focused on tactical elements and mission planning that had a home on PC to being an action shooter on Console that has little resemblence to the original series formula. For me the last true "Rainbow Six" game was Raven Shield.....the series now bears little resemblence to its original foundation. I mean, you even have blind-firing in the new games, which would have been totally out of place of the original series theme. Now when I think of a great tactical game...the last thing I think of is the new RS games, instead SWAT 4 is the game I think of when I think of a true tactical shooter.

Silent Hill - Unless the next installment turns out to be fantastic and hopefully connects again to the original Cheryl / Alessa storyline....then the series is pretty much dead to me. SH4: The Room was a major letdown and really had no connection whatsoever to the main series. At this point I pretty much think of the Silent Hill series as a trilogy.....with SH3 having properly concluded the series and the storyline of the original game.

Shadowrun - Thank you MS for ruining that one. Remember when this used to be a great RPG series?.....I do. But now thanks to MS, the series has now been turned into yet another wannabe counterstrike shooter....one that doesn't look all that interesting to me at all....another game that requires Vista and Microsoft's crappy Live for PC?....keep that thing away from me! Interplay?....No thanks!  

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
I woundt say any series is dead too me, because it can turn around and its alway fun to come back and play older games in a series. But im quite immune to the new need for speed games right now, kinda look away like with fifa games and other every year a new version. Most Wanted was the last great NFS game, carbon, the underground series and from the looks of it the new one that is coming was crap. And you can play NFS MW for a long time still, still a fun game and looks great, so EA should focus on making a new NFS game and use more years on it so it will be superb, with great optimization and the classic NFS gameplay with new things and not this tuner nissan skyline nighttime crap race.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
Tony Hawk series...
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Homeworld.
It's a shame Relic doesn't hold the rights.
I think THQ should try and get the rights to Homeworld, so Relic can continue their excellent series.
Doom_HellKnight

I think it's gonna happen. It has to happen! :P

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

faridmon

just because Zelda and Mario series is the best and best selling series ever, doesn't mean you can just bash it, you know there are more series that turned in to crap, and you choose this?

Excuse me? Don't you dare presume to tell me what I can and cannot say about games I play. Mario and Zelda are dead to me in their traditional incarnations. I loved Zelda for the NES, SNES and N64, but Wind Waker went and took a big steamy crap all over the series that I've not been able to clean off since. The original topic is what series is dead to me... well that's the series that's dead to me. And I own both the GC and a Wii and I've not picked up Twilight Princess yet, and don't plan to until it reaches the 19.99$ mark.

And Mario Sunshine diluted everything that was awesome about Mario 64 and made it some stupid thing involving a water filled jetpack that had clunky controls and a generally stupid premise.

You think I hate Mario games? On the contrary, Smash Bros and Paper Mario are some of the best series I've ever played.

I've clarified my point about what series is dead to me, and if you don't like my choice, then you can just sit down and be quiet. 

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AuthenticM
Member since 2007 • 748 Posts
Sonic is pretty much dead for everybody right now. Although I'd very much like Sega to revive it properly.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SemiMaster

Sonic is pretty much dead for everybody right now. Although I'd very much like Sega to revive it properly.AuthenticM

Would that be like in 2d perhaps? 

NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
final fantasy x completely ruined that series
vix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vix
Member since 2003 • 2803 Posts
SSX. SSX, SSX Tricky, and SSX 3 were gold. SSX on Tour was pure **** on my shoes. Just awful, awful stuff. Blur was no better as it was a complete rehash of old tracks, awful character interpretations, and wii controls that were just not completely implemented as good as they could have been.
jirouxni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jirouxni
Member since 2006 • 447 Posts
sonic: The new sonic for PS3 and 360 is horrible.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="faridmon"][QUOTE="SemiMaster"]

SemiMaster

Excuse me? Don't you dare presume to tell me what I can and cannot say about games I play. Mario and Zelda are dead to me in their traditional incarnations. I loved Zelda for the NES, SNES and N64, but Wind Waker went and took a big steamy crap all over the series that I've not been able to clean off since. The original topic is what series is dead to me... well that's the series that's dead to me. And I own both the GC and a Wii and I've not picked up Twilight Princess yet, and don't plan to until it reaches the 19.99$ mark.

And Mario Sunshine diluted everything that was awesome about Mario 64 and made it some stupid thing involving a water filled jetpack that had clunky controls and a generally stupid premise.

You think I hate Mario games? On the contrary, Smash Bros and Paper Mario are some of the best series I've ever played.

I've clarified my point about what series is dead to me, and if you don't like my choice, then you can just sit down and be quiet.

It makes sense for Zelda since TP was really a total continuation (as where the 2 before it). But with Mario it's based on a one off. 

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
Honestly, Mario and Zelda.  I just think they're two franchises that had their best years and installments in the 2D days.  I just don't like 3D platformers and I'd much rather play any of the Marios from 1-3 rather than anything like Mario 64 and beyond.  Zelda...well, I very much hated OoT, MM, and WW, but TP is better.  I'd be interested in maybe giving the next entry in the Zelda franchise a chance.
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts
You know, I don't think that any particular series is dead to me because I don't really follow any particular series. For example I loved the zelda games up until OoT. I HATED that game. But I might pick up TP if I get a Wii. Also, I loved the first few RE games. I HATED RE4. But I'll probably give RE5 a shot if the general consensus is that it's good.
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#43 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts

crash banditcoot, sonic the hedgehog, smackdown, contra, street fighter, tony hawk

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts

Metal Gear Solid for me. The Twin Snakes and Sons of Liberty were both fantastic but Snake Eater was terrible. Some of the gameplay changes were a joke:

* Keeping the camera at a high angle but removing the radar while extending the vision of the guards meaning that you can be spotted by someone miles away you didn't see.

* Completely changing the stealth system so instead of having to hide, you just had to check if the percentage was high enough. And in fact, there were several times when it would be on 95% and you would still get seen.

* Having to eat and heal yourself were just unrequired and didn't add anything to the game.

* The Cobra Unit were terrible. Psycho Mantis and Vamp were on the cusp of believability, but having a Ghost and a man who spits bees was too far.

Since that, my entire interest in the series has just dropped.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

Honestly, Mario and Zelda.  I just think they're two franchises that had their best years and installments in the 2D days.  I just don't like 3D platformers and I'd much rather play any of the Marios from 1-3 rather than anything like Mario 64 and beyond.  Zelda...well, I very much hated OoT, MM, and WW, but TP is better.  I'd be interested in maybe giving the next entry in the Zelda franchise a chance.fathoms_basic

I just picked up a DS and New Super Mario Bros. 2D Mario heaven.

Boostd4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Boostd4
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts

Final Fantasy gets my vote.  Even though VII is regarded as one of the best...I kinda saw it as the beginning of the end.  I think that FF lost its "magic" when players could no longer roam freely...without the restiction of pre-rendered backgrounds.  There was something so awesome about building characters up to Level 99 in FF 1-3 and just obliterating the bosses.

I guess I'm just old fashioned that way...

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

Final Fantasy gets my vote. Even though VII is regarded as one of the best...I kinda saw it as the beginning of the end. I think that FF lost its "magic" when players could no longer roam freely...without the restiction of pre-rendered backgrounds. There was something so awesome about building characters up to Level 99 in FF 1-3 and just obliterating the bosses.

Boostd4

I'm confused...  Exactly what "free roaming" were you doing in any FF before VII?  And what's stopping you from leveling up to Lv. 99 and obliterating bosses in ANY FF? 

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SemiMaster
[QUOTE="Boostd4"]

Final Fantasy gets my vote. Even though VII is regarded as one of the best...I kinda saw it as the beginning of the end. I think that FF lost its "magic" when players could no longer roam freely...without the restiction of pre-rendered backgrounds. There was something so awesome about building characters up to Level 99 in FF 1-3 and just obliterating the bosses.

fathoms_basic

I'm confused... Exactly what "free roaming" were you doing in any FF before VII? And what's stopping you from leveling up to Lv. 99 and obliterating bosses in ANY FF?

I was wondering the same thing...

Well, technically in FF X you don't have levels per say. And FFXI only goes to level 75 last I knew.

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts
Gran Turismo. Never again unless major changes are made.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Sorry, I just have to respond to this. 

Metal Gear Solid for me. The Twin Snakes and Sons of Liberty were both fantastic but Snake Eater was terrible. Some of the gameplay changes were a joke:

* Keeping the camera at a high angle but removing the radar while extending the vision of the guards meaning that you can be spotted by someone miles away you didn't see.

I actually agree with you there.  Keeping the perspective while removing the radar was not a good idea, however that was corrected in subsistence.  Good point though, because by the time that came out it's already been played through.  Yea, I'd say the camera position was a bad design decision.

* Completely changing the stealth system so instead of having to hide, you just had to check if the percentage was high enough. And in fact, there were several times when it would be on 95% and you would still get seen.

You still had to hide, the percentages were just there as an indication of how well you were hidden overall, which would've been helpful in the previous games.  I would have preferred that it never reach got up to 100%, because you can never be completely undetectable, which goes onto your next point.  The only way you were seen at 95% camouflage was if the enemy was standing right on top of you. 

* Having to eat and heal yourself were just unrequired and didn't add anything to the game.

Not true.  Not eating for a while affected your ability to aim accurately, and would also make your stomach grumble which would alert nearby enemies.  Healing did become a bit much sometimes (especially during boss battles) and should have been streamlined or toned down somewhat, but otherwise I thought it was a pretty cool feature.  It made me think twice about taking a leap and added an extra feeling of vulnerability to the fights, and made me watch my inventory.

* The Cobra Unit were terrible. Psycho Mantis and Vamp were on the cusp of believability, but having a Ghost and a man who spits bees was too far.

I also thought the Sorrow was a bit pointless, but the Pain was alright.  And you can't honestly tell me that being able to take a round to the forehead, teleport around the room, stand on water and walls and drink blood is any more believeable than someone spewing bees out of their mouth.

Since that, my entire interest in the series has just dropped.

To each his own.  But some of the things you mentioned that got on your nerves were prevelant in the previous games as well, what was the difference?  I thought MGS3 was far better than the 2nd.