what once-beloved series is now dead to you?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

Zelda died for me with Windwaker...the only part of that game that I really liked was the last fight. Mega Man died for me at around X4. I don't remember X4 that much but I remember I never cared to play another after it.

Final Fantasy is about a hair's width away, it will all be decided with XIII and Versus XIII. But regardless of the quality of the main series, the Final Fantasy name has been merchandised to death and there have been way too many regurgitated ports and rehashes of the older games.

Avatar image for The_Pig_Hostage
The_Pig_Hostage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 The_Pig_Hostage
Member since 2007 • 3702 Posts
[QUOTE="fathoms_basic"][QUOTE="Boostd4"]

Final Fantasy gets my vote. Even though VII is regarded as one of the best...I kinda saw it as the beginning of the end. I think that FF lost its "magic" when players could no longer roam freely...without the restiction of pre-rendered backgrounds. There was something so awesome about building characters up to Level 99 in FF 1-3 and just obliterating the bosses.

I guess I'm just old fashioned that way...

SemiMaster

I'm confused... Exactly what "free roaming" were you doing in any FF before VII? And what's stopping you from leveling up to Lv. 99 and obliterating bosses in ANY FF?

I was wondering the same thing...

Well, technically in FF X you don't have levels per say. And FFXI only goes to level 75 last I knew.

Now THERE was a game where you could obliterate the bosses. 

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#53 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
[QUOTE="SemiMaster"][QUOTE="fathoms_basic"][QUOTE="Boostd4"]

Final Fantasy gets my vote. Even though VII is regarded as one of the best...I kinda saw it as the beginning of the end. I think that FF lost its "magic" when players could no longer roam freely...without the restiction of pre-rendered backgrounds. There was something so awesome about building characters up to Level 99 in FF 1-3 and just obliterating the bosses.

The_Pig_Hostage

I'm confused... Exactly what "free roaming" were you doing in any FF before VII? And what's stopping you from leveling up to Lv. 99 and obliterating bosses in ANY FF?

I was wondering the same thing...

Well, technically in FF X you don't have levels per say. And FFXI only goes to level 75 last I knew.

Now THERE was a game where you could obliterate the bosses.

I had to hold back with Rikku on Seymour's last form because she was plain hitting for 99,999. Yuna hit for something in the high 80k damage, and I think Lulu was too. I almost had Auron's weapon. Regardless, yea, you could obliterate things in X. 

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
[QUOTE="Boostd4"]

fathoms_basic

I'm confused...  Exactly what "free roaming" were you doing in any FF before VII?  And what's stopping you from leveling up to Lv. 99 and obliterating bosses in ANY FF? 

While not being the original poster, I feel the EXACT same way about FF7 being a point where the FF series, and RPGs in general, took a major wrong turn. The main problem with FF7 (besides ripping off the Nei death in Phantasy Star 2) is that the difficulty of the game was ramped down to the point where a barely competant player should not die while playing the main game. The second major problem is that the majority of the game feels quite linear. (moreso than many RPGs before it) For me, RPGs are supposed to be about choice. The choice usually being "what problem do I want to tackle next?" or "where do I want to explore next?" Combat poses its own questions: "will I attempt to fight this hopeless battle with superior tactics than my foe; or will I grind to overpower him/her? When RPGs got easier and linear, mainly a trend starting with FF7, the sense of danger, exploration, and options simply diminished. Until recently, it's been hard for me to be sure that was not just being nostalgic for games of my youth. But recently I've been playing Etrian Odyssey and I am now 100% positive that the real possibility of death in combat is necessary for an RPG to be rewarding.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts

You still had to hide, the percentages were just there as an indication of how well you were hidden overall, which would've been helpful in the previous games. I would have preferred that it never reach got up to 100%, because you can never be completely undetectable, which goes onto your next point. The only way you were seen at 95% camouflage was if the enemy was standing right on top of you.Rekunta

True, you did still have to hide, but being told how good your space was by a percentage kinda ruined it. And yeah, the guard kinda was on top of me at that moment! So fair play there, but surely being at 95% would mean you were essentially invisible to him? And also, had the thing not been telling me I was well hidden, I wouldn't have tried to hide there.

Not true. Not eating for a while affected your ability to aim accurately, and would also make your stomach grumble which would alert nearby enemies. Healing did become a bit much sometimes (especially during boss battles) and should have been streamlined or toned down somewhat, but otherwise I thought it was a pretty cool feature. It made me think twice about taking a leap and added an extra feeling of vulnerability to the fights, and made me watch my inventory.Rekunta

It was a nice idea, don't get me wrong. It was just implemented really poorly. If eating and healing are in the next game, but actually work better, you'll get no complaints from me.

I also thought the Sorrow was a bit pointless, but the Pain was alright. And you can't honestly tell me that being able to take a round to the forehead, teleport around the room, stand on water and walls and drink blood is any more believeable than someone spewing bees out of their mouth.Rekunta

With Psycho Mantis, he was Ex-KGB and had been trained in that stuff for years which is a plausible background (Plausible for MGS). Vamp, however, was a bit further into the unknown but he was still supernatural. And supernatural works a lot better than being able to spit bees. Also, he wasn't supernatural enough to be an actual ghost, that crosses the line from the semi-reality MGS has always held into complete fantasy.

cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts

Tony Hawk I mean after 4 they just tried to be funny and add stupid thing like bam margera and phil. Project 8 was alright but still they should let it rest

Simulation Sports games - Madden and NBA live were a blast to play on the N64 but when the new consoles came out (ps2 GC Xbox) they just last there appeal to me.

Need for speed underground- The 1st one was the best then they come out with the craptacular 2nd one with all kinds of ridiculous advertisments and cheesy lame story.

Medal Of honor- Frontlines was the Best of the series then they come out with that absolute rushed trash rising sun. MOH european assault was good but not as good as frontline it was way to short for me.

Call of duty- The 1st one was the best then they started coming out with console versions thay really didnt work well like finest hour and big red one. Call of duty 2 though was asome. Call of duty 3 had me bored tho Im glad there moving into the modern world. 

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
Classic adventure games are dead to me since none are being made anymore. God did I love me some Monkey Island.
fierro316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 fierro316
Member since 2003 • 1727 Posts
Street Fighter and Samurai Showdown.
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#60 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
Tony Hawk. They should have stopped making them a long time ago, they've tried to change aspects of it and have ultimately been unsuccessful.
Strathdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Strathdor
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts
I have to say sonic cause after they mentioned shadow that killed the series right there for me.
Javaguychronox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Javaguychronox
Member since 2007 • 175 Posts

sonic obviously springs to mind.

The Worms series for me is also dead. I still love 4 player Worms 2/Armageddon. I wish they hadnt moved into 3d and had actually improved the 2d ones, rather than releasing the same game 3 times over or thereabouts.

Driver is very much in trouble now as well.

Before anniversary I would have said Tomb Raider, but damn, Im back to loving it.

Rainbow Six. Yup. Vegas is a decent FPS, but it sure isnt a Rainbow Six game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
Metal Gear.

Hamfisted and pretentious since 1998!

Oh yea, and GTA. How could I ever forget GTA. Please stop making them. It's worse than Shrek sequels.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#64 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Classic adventure games are dead to me since none are being made anymore. God did I love me some Monkey Island.nosferatu

They're still being made.  Myst is coming out for the PSP, and Broken Sword 4 was released recently on the PC.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts
Sonic :cry:
Avatar image for gokugohanbraves
gokugohanbraves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 gokugohanbraves
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I would also have to say Sonic, they should have kept it 2D
kanedajjj5757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#67 kanedajjj5757
Member since 2007 • 1632 Posts
i agree with the original post. but just to add, i feel that the final fantasy series has lost all meanin. Squar - Enix is just milking the franchise for all it has...
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
I am surprised no one mentioned this but what about Donkey Kong? He hasn't had a proper adventure game since the N64 and has only appeared on the Gamecube in the Donkey Konga games.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

[QUOTE="nosferatu"]Classic adventure games are dead to me since none are being made anymore. God did I love me some Monkey Island.m0zart

They're still being made.  Myst is coming out for the PSP, and Broken Sword 4 was released recently on the PC.

Yeah, cept Myst is really nothing like the games I'm talking about. The Lucasarts adventures are pretty much it. The Myst games just kinda bored me (at least the 1st 2 and that's where I stopped).

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#70 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="nosferatu"]Classic adventure games are dead to me since none are being made anymore. God did I love me some Monkey Island.nosferatu

Yeah, cept Myst is really nothing like the games I'm talking about. The Lucasarts adventures are pretty much it. The Myst games just kinda bored me (at least the 1st 2 and that's where I stopped).

"Classic Adventure" in usage among gamers includes the Myst games, and it definitely includes Broken Sword games.  It's ok that you have these exceptions to that, but you should probably clarify them initially since it is not the common usage of the term.

I think the DS and Wii have the potential to become the new point-and-click adventure mediums, but how much of that will materialize is hard to guage.  The DS has more games that fit in with that line already, and the developers at Revolution Software have expressed a lot of interest in making Broken Sword games for the DS.

vgm007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#71 vgm007
Member since 2005 • 20931 Posts

i agree with the original post. but just to add, i feel that the final fantasy series has lost all meanin. Squar - Enix is just milking the franchise for all it has...kanedajjj5757

I, unfortunately, have to agree. All the fun titles in the series, imo, are re-releases of the SNES games (IV, V, VI), as well as the original FFVII and FFVIII. Everything after that was so-so.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

Final Fantasy. After 7+8 its got progressively worse. Culminating with the abomination that is FF12.VinnoT

i agree; although for me it started after FFX (9 and 10 were worse than 7 and 8, but were still pretty good in my eyes) 

ceruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ceruxx
Member since 2007 • 1292 Posts

[QUOTE="VinnoT"]Final Fantasy. After 7+8 its got progressively worse. Culminating with the abomination that is FF12.BobSacamento

i agree; although for me it started after FFX (9 and 10 were worse than 7 and 8, but were still pretty good in my eyes)

o_o ... Sacramento ...

If square can't do XIII right, I give up on them. XII was ****

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
Mortal Kombat, Splinter Cell, and the Sonic series.
Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
every Sega franchise, they just like screw every franchise that doesn't have virtua name on it (excluding virtua quest)faridmon
Yup, as much as I would like to see a new Streets of Rage, I think of Sega's track record in ressurecting franchises and I think about the Final Fight update and become very scared.
Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts
Battlefield series. 1942 was excellent, vietnam was meh, BF2 starting awesome, but was patched to its own doom. BF 2142 is a damn mod.
hyperbomb180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#77 hyperbomb180
Member since 2006 • 146 Posts

ive gotta say silent hill

a bad movie,a crappy psp game, a guncon GAME!!?, yeah im done with this series

nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
Sonic
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts

How can you people pick some of these. Snake Eater? Come on! IT was one of the single greatest games ever concieved. Brilliant gameplay and story.

Zelda? Twilight PRincess was the best Zelda game since the SNES. Seriously. It was brilliant

I understand Final Fantasy. I mean, they are whoring it like there is no tomarrow, but to insult Final Fantasy XII? How could you? It is the best 3D FF. Absolutely brilliant gameplay and story. Extremely well told. Fantastic directing. GOOD TRANSLATION of a fantastic script Unlike every other FF, this games script actually was good).

I agree with Mario though./ New Super Mario Brothers is the only one in recent memory that I liked. Other than that, you have to go back to Super Mario 64. 

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 BobSacamento

How can you people pick some of these. Snake Eater? Come on! IT was one of the single greatest games ever concieved. Brilliant gameplay and story.

Zelda? Twilight PRincess was the best Zelda game since the SNES. Seriously. It was brilliant

I understand Final Fantasy. I mean, they are whoring it like there is no tomarrow, but to insult Final Fantasy XII? How could you? It is the best 3D FF. Absolutely brilliant gameplay and story. Extremely well told. Fantastic directing. GOOD TRANSLATION of a fantastic script Unlike every other FF, this games script actually was good).

I agree with Mario though./ New Super Mario Brothers is the only one in recent memory that I liked. Other than that, you have to go back to Super Mario 64.

fs_metal

well thats where peoples opinion differ. you either love ff12 to bits or hate it living guts. i happen to hate it.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 fs_metal
How could you hate it? It does everything right
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BobSacamento

not enough focus on character development, story, emotion, connections etc.

all the stuff that final fantasy really did well in past ones

also felt too much like an MMO, buncha stupid little quests; i was 15 hours in and didnt even know why i was in the place i was in.

too many plain, ugly looking dungeons, with too much time spent crawling them.

gambits literally took over the combat later in the game. just didnt have fun with it, and wasnt interested in the plot or story. 

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Sonic. That blue fellow used to be a god and then I guess Zeus made him lose his powers and then he stabbed him only for Sonic to get a second chance and become a god again... he still has not gotten that second chance :D
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 fs_metal

not enough focus on character development, story, emotion, connections etc.

all the stuff that final fantasy really did well in past ones

also felt too much like an MMO, buncha stupid little quests; i was 15 hours in and didnt even know why i was in the place i was in.

too many plain, ugly looking dungeons, with too much time spent crawling them.

gambits literally took over the combat later in the game. just didnt have fun with it, and wasnt interested in the plot or story.

BobSacamento

It had just as much focus on character developement, story, emotion and connection as any other FF game though.

Ever played an MMO? It didn't feel like UO or anything like that to me. Didn't play like any MMO I ahve ever played

Gambits are the most brilliant thing to ever happen to FF gameplay. IT got rid of all those tedious things like healing ever y30 seconds.

Plain, ugly looking dungeons? It was all rich and much more full of detail than any previous FF  game. 

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 BobSacamento

well i'd just have to flat out disagree with some of your points there good buddy

the gambits and the gameplay and stuff, your right, could be considered better by many - but it had nowhere near the quality of 

story/depth of character development and emotion that past ones had. 

THA-TODD-BEAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#86 THA-TODD-BEAST
Member since 2003 • 4569 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog.  :(

(R.I.P.) 

lightmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lightmonkey
Member since 2005 • 7010 Posts
Spyro and Sonic. You're dead to me guyz :cry:
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 BobSacamento

but the one thing for me that really drove me away was the music.

it literally drove me crazy, these stupid looped jingles that i could never get out of my head. over and over and over and over.

i had to stop playing lol. i miss nobuo. 

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

I get the feeling that the Metroid series will become "dead to me" soon... It looks like the series is getting more and more combat-based. Of course, Metroid Prime Hunters was still a terriffic game and it's easily my favorite game on the DS, but I still prefer the exploration-based Metroid games.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
[QUOTE="fathoms_basic"][QUOTE="Boostd4"]

dchan01

While not being the original poster, I feel the EXACT same way about FF7 being a point where the FF series, and RPGs in general, took a major wrong turn. The main problem with FF7 (besides ripping off the Nei death in Phantasy Star 2) is that the difficulty of the game was ramped down to the point where a barely competant player should not die while playing the main game. The second major problem is that the majority of the game feels quite linear. (moreso than many RPGs before it) For me, RPGs are supposed to be about choice. The choice usually being "what problem do I want to tackle next?" or "where do I want to explore next?" Combat poses its own questions: "will I attempt to fight this hopeless battle with superior tactics than my foe; or will I grind to overpower him/her? When RPGs got easier and linear, mainly a trend starting with FF7, the sense of danger, exploration, and options simply diminished. Until recently, it's been hard for me to be sure that was not just being nostalgic for games of my youth. But recently I've been playing Etrian Odyssey and I am now 100% positive that the real possibility of death in combat is necessary for an RPG to be rewarding.

Now I'm REALLY confused.

First of all, the next time someone says FF VII was too "easy" and previous FFs were "harder," I'm going to have some kind of attack.  There wasn't anything even remotely difficult about previous FFs.  A semi-conscious monkey could've mastered systems like Espers, and the only reason it seemed "harder" was because it forced you to level grind to advance.  That takes absolutely no skill or effort, and therefore, it doesn't actually contribute to the challenge.  Just because you didn't have to level-grind like a madman in FF VII doesn't mean it was "easier" than previous installments in the series.

Furthermore, what's the point of saying the game felt "quite linear?"  Where exactly could you go in FF VI?  What choices could you make?  Walk south, there's an impassable desert.  Walk west, it's an impassable mountain range.  Walk north, the ocean.  Obviously, the only way to go is east.  That's the way that entire game went.  It mapped out your path exactly from start to finish.  You could deviate a bit here and there, but hardly enough to say FF VI offered more in the way of "freedom" or "choice" than FF VII.  That's just plain absurd.

And if you like "choice," what did you think Materia was?  In every FF before VII, you were forced into a role with each and every character.  This character did that, and there's nothing you can do to change it.  That's what pre-existing and permanent classes do for you.  In FF VII, while each character had specific strengths and weaknesses, the player could set them up any way they chose.  Apply any and all skills, magic, or stat enhancements to any character you want.  That's what I call "choice," and it was the very first time in the FF franchise where you actually had any choice whatsoever.

Lastly, the more "choice" you have, the less of a cohesive storyline there can be.  And while that may be fine, I often call a lack of a storyline in favor of player freedom nothing more than a developer cop-out.  "Bah, we don't need to write a story or create character development; we'll just let the player do whatever he wants and make his own stuff up."  Yeah, that's great sometimes, but other times, I like a well-scripted story; one that must be followed in order to fully understand and appreciate it.  In the end, I really don't understand your post at all.  The question in the topic is, "what once-beloved series is now dead to you" and you're implying FF is dead to you because of FF VII, but you're making inaccurate comparisons between that game and previous entries in the franchise.  And I mean, not just inaccurate, but completely incorrect. 

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 fs_metal

well i'd just have to flat out disagree with some of your points there good buddy

the gambits and the gameplay and stuff, your right, could be considered better by many - but it had nowhere near the quality of

BobSacamento
I think alot of people that said that about the story just didn't get it because they are used to being babied by previous incarnations. FFXII is just as good. IT does not spoon feed it to you though
fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 fs_metal
[QUOTE="dchan01"][QUOTE="fathoms_basic"][QUOTE="Boostd4"]

fathoms_basic

While not being the original poster, I feel the EXACT same way about FF7 being a point where the FF series, and RPGs in general, took a major wrong turn. The main problem with FF7 (besides ripping off the Nei death in Phantasy Star 2) is that the difficulty of the game was ramped down to the point where a barely competant player should not die while playing the main game. The second major problem is that the majority of the game feels quite linear. (moreso than many RPGs before it) For me, RPGs are supposed to be about choice. The choice usually being "what problem do I want to tackle next?" or "where do I want to explore next?" Combat poses its own questions: "will I attempt to fight this hopeless battle with superior tactics than my foe; or will I grind to overpower him/her? When RPGs got easier and linear, mainly a trend starting with FF7, the sense of danger, exploration, and options simply diminished. Until recently, it's been hard for me to be sure that was not just being nostalgic for games of my youth. But recently I've been playing Etrian Odyssey and I am now 100% positive that the real possibility of death in combat is necessary for an RPG to be rewarding.

Now I'm REALLY confused.

First of all, the next time someone says FF VII was too "easy" and previous FFs were "harder," I'm going to have some kind of attack. There wasn't anything even remotely difficult about previous FFs. A semi-conscious monkey could've mastered systems like Espers, and the only reason it seemed "harder" was because it forced you to level grind to advance. That takes absolutely no skill or effort, and therefore, it doesn't actually contribute to the challenge. Just because you didn't have to level-grind like a madman in FF VII doesn't mean it was "easier" than previous installments in the series.

Furthermore, what's the point of saying the game felt "quite linear?" Where exactly could you go in FF VI? What choices could you make? Walk south, there's an impassable desert. Walk west, it's an impassable mountain range. Walk north, the ocean. Obviously, the only way to go is east. That's the way that entire game went. It mapped out your path exactly from start to finish. You could deviate a bit here and there, but hardly enough to say FF VI offered more in the way of "freedom" or "choice" than FF VII. That's just plain absurd.

And if you like "choice," what did you think Materia was? In every FF before VII, you were forced into a role with each and every character. This character did that, and there's nothing you can do to change it. That's what pre-existing and permanent classes do for you. In FF VII, while each character had specific strengths and weaknesses, the player could set them up any way they chose. Apply any and all skills, magic, or stat enhancements to any character you want. That's what I call "choice," and it was the very first time in the FF franchise where you actually had any choice whatsoever.

Lastly, the more "choice" you have, the less of a cohesive storyline there can be. And while that may be fine, I often call a lack of a storyline in favor of player freedom nothing more than a developer cop-out. "Bah, we don't need to write a story or create character development; we'll just let the player do whatever he wants and make his own stuff up." Yeah, that's great sometimes, but other times, I like a well-scripted story; one that must be followed in order to fully understand and appreciate it. In the end, I really don't understand your post at all. The question in the topic is, "what once-beloved series is now dead to you" and you're implying FF is dead to you because of FF VII, but you're making inaccurate comparisons between that game and previous entries in the franchise. And I mean, not just inaccurate, but completely incorrect.

Play the NES version of FFI. IT is much much harder than FFVII, which is a cakewalk. Even the supposed hard as hell final boss ISD A CAKEWALK! Sephiroth is easy. Just keep your shielding spells up and you will be fine. Fight Zeromus. There is a final boss FFVII is so overrated.

Furthermore, the second half of FFVI is almost certainly the most non linear thing that the FF series has ever done, save maybe the game no one likes to think abopu: FFX-2 (And even that managed to feel linear)

The materia system was, essentially, a rip off of the ESPer system, and not a good one, as it did not even alllow you to learn skills. How sad is that? The moment I switch out the materia, I loose that skill. IF I spend so damn long working on it, I want some lasting benefits, not that.

Want chioce? Play FFV. There's your choice. You can have a primary and secondary class for every character from a range of something like 30 classes. THAT'S choice. Want a dragoon that can heal? You can have it.

There is only one game in the whole of hte FF franchise that can honestly be called well scripted, and that is Final Fantasy XII. The rest of it is competent scripting that gets the job done, but isn't exactly Stanley Kubrick quality.

And to prove your wrong about having lots of choices meaning the story isn't coherent, Knights of hte Old Republic has a fantastic, non linear story where you make loads of personal choices all throughout, and it all effects both immediate and long term outcomes, but it still manages to be very coherent 

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 BobSacamento
[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

fs_metal

I think alot of people that said that about the story just didn't get it because they are used to being babied by previous incarnations. FFXII is just as good. IT does not spoon feed it to you though

i would agree with that

although i prefer having it spoon fed to me, like im watching a movie. 

3rd_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 3rd_moon
Member since 2007 • 206 Posts
I'd say Heroes of Might and Magic. No.3 is probably the best game in the series but since then, no. 4 and 5 don't have the same effect on me. (especially 5)
crwhite21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 crwhite21
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Twisted Metal...come back!
Etheralfayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Etheralfayt
Member since 2004 • 477 Posts

Mortal Kombat was sliding downhill ever since MK2, but MK4 buried it.  I tried to reconcile with Deadly Alliance, but that game was awful.

Devil May Cry is dead to me.  DMC2 was very boring and mediocre by every standard, but I didn't really like DMC3, either.  I think God of War and Ninja Gaiden showed me a better way, and DMC just doesn't stack up anymore. 

skrutop

Woah you may be the first person I've seen that didnt enjoy DMC3 and think it was the best thing to happen to the series to date. I thought it was a much needed improvement, the story gameplay art style couldn't have been any better imo.

Buuuut back to the topic.. Sonic for sure, I havent enjoyed a single 3d sonic game, Final Fantasy hasnt completly fallen off for me yet I loved X and XII is intriging but I'm not sure about it yet... Another series for me would have to be Mortal Kombat..

EDIT: Biggggg Edit, I want to add Castlevania too reason being the newer console entrees in the series blew for me, but the portable Castlevania games are top notch dont get me wrong... just the 3d ones dont appeal ( And I completed Lament of Innocence, also tried to complete Curse of Darkness but eventually got sick of it and I got rid of it before possible)

DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

Final Fantasy isn't dead to me just yet, but as for XII...

The combat was either 1) Done automatically or 2) Too tedious to completely control all characters all the time. Chaining some enemies for items got annoying as well. Espers were also pretty much useless, and the License Board was one of the weaker skill systems in a FF.

The storyline was weak, and the only character that was developed enough to be interesting was Balthier. Vaan had no real reason to even be in the main story at all, let alone the main character. The only part of the story that caught my interest was the Occurians.

I didn't completely hate it and I did finish the game, but I doubt I'd ever want to play through it again. Maybe the new version they released with the Job license boards or something made some improvements but I wouldn't really want to buy it again. Of course most of this is just my opinion. As far as an RPG goes XII is good enough, but Final Fantasy it is not.

The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~The Legend of Zelda just got too easy.~-~
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 BobSacamento

Final Fantasy isn't dead to me just yet, but as for XII...

The combat was either 1) Done automatically or 2) Too tedious to completely control all characters all the time. Chaining some enemies for items got annoying as well. Espers were also pretty much useless, and the License Board was one of the weaker skill systems in a FF.

The storyline was weak, and the only character that was developed enough to be interesting was Balthier. Vaan had no real reason to even be in the main story at all, let alone the main character. The only part of the story that caught my interest was the Occurians.

I didn't completely hate it and I did finish the game, but I doubt I'd ever want to play through it again. Maybe the new version they released with the Job license boards or something made some improvements but I wouldn't really want to buy it again. Of course most of this is just my opinion. As far as an RPG goes XII is good enough, but Final Fantasy it is not.

DeadlyZodiac

and the quickenings.....my god the quickenings 

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#100 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
Sadly, i hate saying this, but Sonic.  I loved sonic back in the day, but now the games are of poor quality, as if sega is rushing to make a quick buck.  I haven't played the newer ones for the 306, ps3 and Wii but i havent heard anything great about them.  The DS verision was alright and the GBA games were actually good, but i want a good old home console sonic game.  I think we all need a good o'l sonic game.