Super Mario Galaxy Heaven (56k) GGD Goes hands on! Page 45

This topic is locked from further discussion.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#151 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] I like to pretend that all thse holiday shoppers will be buying their Wiis for Fire Emblem: Goddess Of Dawn :) what I can dream cant I?! *grumbles*

Oh that....>__> just kidding :P Mario Metroid and Smash are the big guns but that doesn't rule out other games like FE either.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

SMS was ******* horrible. Id rather light a porcupine on fire and have it crawl straight up my ass than play that game again. Fludd? more like ****. And I also consider SM64 to be the pinnacle of not only mario, but most of gaming so its not like I dont like mario. Galaxy is gonna stomp sunshine.GodModeEnabled

thats fine, butthat shows in this case you are incredibly biased against sunshine and have stars in your eyes for SM64. the logic used to make a comment like"SMS was ****** horrible", while loving SM64is absurd because its the same game underneath, just with some things added on. how much did you even play of the game? to each his own, but to say that a game that is referred to a SM64 clone is terrible, while loving SM64, isvery confusingwhen you apply actual logic.

anyway, galaxy is looking great,and looks like it will continuethe lineage which has yet to have a console title in the main series that hasnt been at least great. its actually my most hyped game of the year at this point. metroid is good so far but its not blowing me away.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

I like to pretend that all thse holiday shoppers will be buying their Wiis for Fire Emblem: Goddess Of Dawn :) what I can dream cant I?! *grumbles*GodModeEnabled

i doubt anyone will actually be buying a system for FE, but i thank god that game is finally close to release. ive been interested in it for the past year or so.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#154 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]SMS was ******* horrible. Id rather light a porcupine on fire and have it crawl straight up my ass than play that game again. Fludd? more like ****. And I also consider SM64 to be the pinnacle of not only mario, but most of gaming so its not like I dont like mario. Galaxy is gonna stomp sunshine.OneWingedAngeI

thats fine, butthat shows in this case you are incredibly biased against sunshine and have stars in your eyes for SM64. the logic used to make a comment like"SMS was ****** horrible", while loving SM64is absurd because its the same game underneath, just with some things added on. how much did you even play of the game? to each his own, but to say that a game that is referred to a SM64 clone is terrible, while loving SM64, isvery confusingwhen you apply actual logic.

anyway, galaxy is looking great,and looks like it will continuethe lineage which has yet to have a console title in the main series that hasnt been at least great. its actually my most hyped game of the year at this point. metroid is good so far but its not blowing me away.

I played like 10 hours of the game. I hated the fact you were in a town and there were npcs. I hated its open nature. I hated how stupid the npcs looked. I hated Fludd. Baby bowser as the villian? More hate. I liked metal mario, and I liked a lot of the actual levels, y'know the actual game and platforming. But the aesthetics, the town idea, the open nature, the baby bowser and fludd just combined to kinda drag it all down for me. I dont want to play a mario game and have to clean up ****, wtf is that? Cleaning isnt fun to me, not even in this game. Theres my reasons, yes I actually played the game a fair length it just didnt click with me. And its not a horrible game either, my last post was used to exaggerate my distaste a bit which I thought would be more obvious with the flaming porcupine bit, but thats my bad. Metroid isnt blowing you away? Man its single handedly restored my faith in big N, and its definetly my GOTY so far. Are you playing on veteran difficulty?
ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]SMS was ******* horrible. Id rather light a porcupine on fire and have it crawl straight up my ass than play that game again. Fludd? more like ****. And I also consider SM64 to be the pinnacle of not only mario, but most of gaming so its not like I dont like mario. Galaxy is gonna stomp sunshine.GodModeEnabled

I played like 10 hours of the game. I hated the fact you were in a town and there were npcs. I hated its open nature. I hated how stupid the npcs looked. I hated Fludd. Baby bowser as the villian? More hate. I liked metal mario, and I liked a lot of the actual levels, y'know the actual game and platforming. But the aesthetics, the town idea, the open nature, the baby bowser and fludd just combined to kinda drag it all down for me. I dont want to play a mario game and have to clean up ****, wtf is that? Cleaning isnt fun to me, not even in this game. Theres my reasons, yes I actually played the game a fair length it just didnt click with me. And its not a horrible game either, my last post was used to exaggerate my distaste a bit which I thought would be more obvious with the flaming porcupine bit, but thats my bad. Metroid isnt blowing you away? Man its single handedly restored my faith in big N, and its definetly my GOTY so far. Are you playing on veteran difficulty?

My $0.02: Those sound like rather superficial reasons to dislike a game. Personally, I couldn't care less whether a game stays "true to the franchise" or not. I wouldn't care if they gave Mario a bow and arrow and he was set in a forest with Kirby as the villian, so long as the game was fun. That said, I felt the game added nothing that M64 didn't have and that the game wasn't as big and had nowhere near the Wow factor. Still, those may have been reasons to be disappointed, but dislike?

As far as being blown away by the new Metroid, I don't understand that much either. I had a chance to play it at a friends place this week and I don't see much there that wasn't equally well done in the first MP. Given that I didn't like that game much at all, it was only the novelty of the wii control system that gave me a passing interest in this game. Definitely not enough to interst me in a Wii though. Frankly, only a AAA multiplayer mode could've done that. (Like I said, I don't give a rat's ass about staying true toa franchise ... and anyway there are a couple precedents for multiplayer in Metroid.)

MLJ28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#157 MLJ28
Member since 2003 • 3690 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine is better than SM64 (IMO). I love both games, but Sunshine had a quirky weirdness that I just adore. The whole Pilotwings-platformer gamplay was a ton of fun. SMS took everything that made SM64 great and improved upon them. I've played through Sunshine 5 times, and I'm very likely to replay it another 5 times in the future. So far, I've only completed SM64 twice. I can honestly say that Super Mario Sunshine is my second favorite Super Mario game, right behind the godly Super Mario World.

I can't wait until Super Mario Galaxy comes out. I'm as giddy as the N64 kid right now. :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#158 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]SMS was ******* horrible. Id rather light a porcupine on fire and have it crawl straight up my ass than play that game again. Fludd? more like ****. And I also consider SM64 to be the pinnacle of not only mario, but most of gaming so its not like I dont like mario. Galaxy is gonna stomp sunshine.ymi_basic

My $0.02: Those sound like rather superficial reasons to dislike a game. Personally, I couldn't care less whether a game stays "true to the franchise" or not. I wouldn't care if they gave Mario a bow and arrow and he was set in a forest with Kirby as the villian, so long as the game was fun. That said, I felt the game added nothing that M64 didn't have and that the game wasn't as big and had nowhere near the Wow factor. Still, those may have been reasons to be disappointed, but dislike?

As far as being blown away by the new Metroid, I don't understand that much either. I had a chance to play it at a friends place this week and I don't see much there that wasn't equally well done in the first MP. Given that I didn't like that game much at all, it was only the novelty of the wii control system that gave me a passing interest in this game. Definitely not enough to interst me in a Wii though. Frankly, only a AAA multiplayer mode could've done that. (Like I said, I don't give a rat's ass about staying true toa franchise ... and anyway there are a couple precedents for multiplayer in Metroid.)

I never claimed that I wasnt superficial, nevertheless the changes and things outlined in my previous post is what caused my dislike of the game, maybe I am superficial but a mario game running around in a town and interacting with NPCS that dosent have an RPG in the title is stupid. Metroid is definetly my GOTY and one of the best games ive played in a long time, but if you dont like single player games than I can see how you wouldn't be interested. Everyone has a different opinion and all that jazz. Like last year my GOTY was Dead Rising, the amount of people that agree with me: zero.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Like last year my GOTY was Dead Rising, the amount of people that agree with me: zero.GodModeEnabled

That's not entirely true. I bet Keiji Inafune agreed with you. :P

"Damn right"

TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts
In my opinion, that water ski stage should move abit more faster--I want it to really give off the nostalgic vibe of the "secret red carpet" and "ice slide" areas found in Mario 64. It's looking good though.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
Finally,the true successor to Super Mario 64.:cry:
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#163 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts
There are so many great looking bosses in this game, I wonder how bowser will top them all?
ZeldaFan2329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#164 ZeldaFan2329
Member since 2007 • 1080 Posts
can't wait for this game!!!!!!
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 selbie
Seeing that water ski stage makes me want Wave Race for the Wii so desperately. Jet skiis + wave physics + motion control = many many fun time ^__^
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 gaminggeek

New screens, I'll just post the interesting ones :)

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#167 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
It's mind boggling how good the game looks when you take into consideration the Wii's hardware,SMG wipes the floor in terms of graphics of all other Wii games,it even competes against the 360 as well (looks better than Kameo :O)
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 gaminggeek

:shock: Latest-vids-and-pics-here:shock:

EDIT: Official website OPEN

Click around and they have videos on there :D

viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#169 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
thats.. just..:shock: This game looks like the pinnacle of platforming, every new screenshot and video that gets released is more mouth watering than the next
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 gaminggeek

:shock: at that first video I linked :shock:

The music, the chaos, the graphics...... this is like the greatest game ever.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 gaminggeek

Tell me someone saw that first video!

Tell me someone hears that music?!

Tell me someone saw that Boo video?

Tell me someone saw the waterworld screens!

Tell me I'm not just talking to mysellllllllllllllfffffffffffffffffffffffff :cry:

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#172 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

gaminggeek
I'm actually relatively shocked in the music from that first video, and other videos, purely from the standpoint that it actually sounds like Nintendo finally decided to step up things regarding the music production for a game for once. After being let down from both Zelda and Metroid, this is finally what I was waiting for Nintendo to do.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Skylock00

I'm actually relatively shocked in the music from that first video, and other videos, purely from the standpoint that it actually sounds like Nintendo finally decided to step up things regarding the music production for a game for once. After being let down from both Zelda and Metroid, this is finally what I was waiting for Nintendo to do.

They even seem to have re-arranged the main theme music... how could they possibly.... but they did.... make it sound BETTER then it already was? I love this game already.

EDIT: OMG I just watched video 2 again, if you watch you can notice that when they do the super monkey ball impression the music alters itself to the speed of your movement. And it does it really well.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 gaminggeek

Love this pic

Avatar image for ArabianKnight14
ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 ArabianKnight14
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
:shock:....im speachless
Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

:shock:....im speachlessArabianKnight14

Me too, the only thing I can think of saying to sum all of this up is Game Of The Decade.

xXtheabombXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 xXtheabombXx
Member since 2004 • 775 Posts
I'm still not 100% sold on this game i'm hoping it's good because I really want a good Wii game to play.
ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 ArabianKnight14

Oh... my... I can't speak... omg, omg, omg. That is some of the best gameplay footage I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. There was more variety in those 2 minutes of footage I saw than most games have in their entirety. My brain can't process the awesome. What an intro to the game!!

EDIT: I can't stop thinking about it, its so incredible! I got a new Zelda game today and I am now more excited about watching some video of a future Mario game. Those were some of the best graphics on ANY system. Screw polygon counts, this game is beautiful to look at.

dvader654

I thought you cant speak? JK

Anyway this game looks like THE game that ive been waiting for my whole life,Im crying tears of joy:cry:

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I don't think the GGD understand the magnitude of greatness in this new videos, we need a new title something, everyone needs to see this.dvader654

I saw them without sound, but I probably wouldn't have heard it over the incessant nerd babbling that was involuntarily coming out of my mouth.
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#182 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts

Oh... my... I can't speak... omg, omg, omg. That is some of the best gameplay footage I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. There was more variety in those 2 minutes of footage I saw than most games have in their entirety. My brain can't process the awesome. What an intro to the game!!dvader654

That's what stands out the most to me, the variety. The game looks chock full of every kind of platforming challenge imaginable, from bite size puzzles to huge open environments and everything in between. Not to mention all the cool Wii stuff you can do like firing stars, monkey ball rolling, pulling from orb to orb, slingshotting, surfing, blowing air, launching, spinning around and who knows what else. I'm glad they took their time with this game, so far it looks to be everything people have been hoping for out of a true Mario64 sequel and more.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 gaminggeek

New videos:

Star Ring Gameplay

Star Piece Shooting Gameplay

Mario Action Montage

Star Capturing Gameplay

Jumping Gameplay 2

Spin Attack Gameplay

Running Around Gameplay

Jumping Gameplay

Phantom Gameplay

Honey Bee Gameplay

Japanese Prologue

GC 2007 Green Planet Cam Gameplay HD

GC 2007 Gateway World Cam Gameplay Pt. 2 HD

Wii Event Robot World Gameplay HD

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 gaminggeek

Those videos I've posted so far are out of scale larger versions thatmay appear blurry at times. The original versions are much smaller but better quality and all stem from the japanese website. You can see those versions here:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmgj/prologue/index03.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmgj/action/index.html

Anyhow, WTH is up with GGD lately? Where is the enthusiasm? I post a Nights thread and hours later is has one reply. These new vids in this thread are awe-some and we havelike 7 guys in here. I go to SW and on the back of these videos alone thereare 10 pages of responses.

I'm going to post what I wrote in my blog:

Super Mario Galaxy is like stepping into Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory

I mean HOLY FREAKING ****

Check-out the latest videos and screens in this thread. It's like a freaking candyland of gaming delight. It is literally stuffed to the gills with whimsical delight. It could very well be the virtual embodiment of everything I ever wanted out of gaming: pure, unadulterated fun. One level in mario galaxy shows more imagination thanfive other games put together. The sheer variety in landscapes and scenarios...... the applicaitons of physics..... the wii controller use..... the orchestrated music..... the bouncing, tangible visuals.... it's like a...... GAME. No pretence at being some kind of realistic bore-a-thon at all.

This Christmas will feel more like Christmas, when this game is on my television screen and I cannot freaking wait. :D

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 selbie
+1 super-obsessed-mega-hyped-extremely-excited-loving-the-hell-out-of-this-game-Mario-Galaxy-fanboy. Feeling better now GG? :P

That's what stands out the most to me, the variety. The game looks chock full of every kind of platforming challenge imaginable, from bite size puzzles to huge open environments and everything in between. Not to mention all the cool Wii stuff you can do like firing stars, monkey ball rolling, pulling from orb to orb, slingshotting, surfing, blowing air, launching, spinning around and who knows what else. I'm glad they took their time with this game, so far it looks to be everything people have been hoping for out of a true Mario64 sequel and more.

viberooni
For example, just reading this post is sending shivers down my spine. OMFG I feel like a ten-year-old again!
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 gaminggeek

+1? You have to introduce your entire family to this thread and marios delights. (His naked delights) :evil:

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#188 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

HOLY FUDGE BATMAN!

Those ships, shooting stuff. and things like that. Awesome.
Seriously though those graphics actually look pretty good and though I didn't say "wow" I was thinking "Awesome" so maybe Ninty aren't complete liars.

let me just re-itterate.

OH MY GOD YESS! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ALMOST AS MUCH AS ZACK AND WIKI.

And it's surpassed MP 3 on my most wanted list. :P

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#189 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
I really like the prologue. Hopefully there won't be any voice acting in the NA version to spoil it.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 gaminggeek

That's just wrong^

I don't know if you guys missed it, but there are some great videos on page 6 of this thread that I think a lot of people missed. Check them out, they are great quality too.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 selbie
I didn't realise there were so many gameplay mechanics in the one game :shock: Floating in bubbles, riding manta rays, rolling a ball...plus there is the good old classics like jumping on enemies, breaking blocks and collecting coins. I'm going to pre-order this game tomorrow.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 gaminggeek
Oh man, the videos on page 6 have so many spoilers. The game has such variety on like even one star run. That new princess looks cool. I hope they put some speech in the game.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 selbie
You should probably put a spoiler warning on some of this stuff....Especially with the link to the porlogue movies. As soon as I started watching I stopped it because I don't want to spoil the game for myself. When I get this game I want to play it like I've never seen it before just like when I first played Mario 64. So far I'm glad I've only seen small flashes of the game thanks to my dial-up, but I don't think others would be so forgiving :?
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 gaminggeek

I care not. Feel the pain. :twisted:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 gaminggeek

Welcome to a double Friday Update! Firstly let's all bask in the amazingness of these latest videos! Tell your friends.

Super Mario Galaxy "menu"

Super Mario Galaxy "bullet bill destruction"

Super Mario Galaxy "spin attack"

Super Mario Galaxy "movement"

Super Mario Galaxy "two-player co-op"

Keep your eyes glued to this page as Fridays second update will be the EDGE magazine preview. Yes the one from the cover a few pages back, the art from my sig!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 gaminggeek

And now part 2 of the Friday Double Update for all you...... :| where is everybody? Screw this forum :|

EDGE-preview

Extracts from a 4 page preview

The camera could have been a worry, but it's robust and effortlessly follows these moves and your topsy-turvy running over and around the planets, changing the perspective during movement only rarely. As Mario launches from stars - which feels pleasingly fast - it follows his glide easily while giving you an overview of your imminent destination.

You'll find yourself spinning through crystals to release collectables and simply sprinting onwards, using the pointer to suck up the goodies, or firing stars at enemies in advance so Mario can dash through and send them flying. It gives a feeling of control over events onscreen that allows you to almost prefigure Mario's movement through the level, and it's a much more powerful collecting tool and influence on your play than it might seem.

There will be six main themes to the 40 galaxies, each with multiple planets and environments and a total of 120 stars between them, and the design team have confirmed the usual range of themes, from a ghost house and snowy plains to a lava planet. The locales are instantly familiar, from Mario grasping a shell in the inevitable underwater planet to running around the ring of doughnut worlds, but Nintendo has many more uniquely **** areas up its sleeve that it will not be revealing before the game launches.

Perhaps the biggest lesson learned, however, is what makes the Mario series unique. They have something that almost no other game, never mind platform game, can muster: nostalgia. Even the most unfamiliar moments have elements that are designed to make the Nintendo fan in all of us rejoice.

What's surprising is how familiar it is, and yet how utterly fresh it still feels. Every previous game in the series seems to have been considered as a possible source for new material. It views and uses one of the most venerable histories in gaming as only a truly confident title can, and is something you want to prod and poke and simply play with. No one yet knows if Galaxy can maintain the momentum and range of its early showings, and avoid the repetition that marred Sunshine. No one yet knows if it will be able to thrive on the unavoidable comparisons to one of gaming's landmark titles. They're unfair, in a sense, because nothing can ever match up to that moment when you set your eyes on Mario 64; nothing ever could compare to that change in dimension. But Super Mario Galaxy has something of its own. It's the sense of a universe of possibilities with everything you can imagine, and more that you can't. It's a sheer joy. It's the sense of something you thought may have been lost to videogames returning. The feeling of wonder might, just might, be coming back.

EDGE

After the videos and screens of late I can confidentely put the repition argument to bed. They're avoiding it.

ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 ArabianKnight14

I have a funny feeling in my pants:P JK

But the game is looking so Awesome im thinking about sneaking in nintendo HQ and "borrowing" a copy.