Super Mario Galaxy Heaven (56k) GGD Goes hands on! Page 45

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
It has been sooo long since I've played an honest to god Super Mario game... November can't get here soon enough.
-Prime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 -Prime-
Member since 2006 • 964 Posts
This Mario is looking amazing! I guess I will be one of those so called PSWii users later in the year.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

You beat me to it as usual, this deserves a new title something like "Orgasmic overflow of videogame goodness from the gods!!"

Can this game get any better, holy hell thats amazing.

dvader654

I'm saving that thread title for when Path of Radience lands in my letterbox :P But seriously you'd get modded for a thread title like that.

These new screens..... my god every screen my eyes were nearly popping out of my head. It was like :shock: there's a giant mole thing? :shock: OMG Kamek! :shock: Look at the reflections. :shock: Ghost world. :shock: Boo mario.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#55 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

Wow, is that Boo-Mario? Kinda cool.

The game does look great. A refreshing change from how most Wii games look. My hope is that once this and Corruption come out, developers won't be allowed to get away with really weak looking games. Nintendo kind of set themselves up for this when they ported Twilight Princess over to the Wii with just Gamecube quality graphics (really good GC graphics, but let's not kid ourselves). That set up a really dangerous precedent, and I'm hoping that this game will help end it.

Multi-Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Multi-Alias
Member since 2003 • 254 Posts

good variety in levels (Sunshine didnt mix it up enough)

this is my most anticipated platformer along with Ratchet and Clank Future and Little Big Planet (cant decide which one I want more)

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 gaminggeek

Scan info

- 6 worlds, 120 stars reconfirmed, multiple planets in each world

- Planets of water, ice, sand, and more

- Planet size varies wildly, as we have seen

- Bee Mario has the ability to use his stinger

- Boo Mario will be left alone by other boos

- The "butt stomp" has returned. You can see it about to happen in the second scan

- As we've seen, the multi-colored stars will gain you an extra man if you collect 100. They can also be used for special attacks other than shooting them.

Link

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 rragnaar

- As we've seen, the multi-colored stars will gain you an extra man if you collect 100. They can also be used for special attacks other than shooting them.

gaminggeek

They aren't 'mans', they are 'dudes' or 'guys'... get it right!  In all seriousness, it has been so long since I have played a game where you have 'lives', unless you count the VC games.  I am so hyped for this.  I wonder if you can float through walls as Boo Mario.  That would be sweet.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 gaminggeek

I know its about as cliche as it gets but damn I love water, ice, fire, etc. levels.

dvader654

I love the screen of the hollowed out world over the lava planet with steam vents popping out of the surface.

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

rragnaar

They aren't 'mans', they are 'dudes' or 'guys'... get it right! In all seriousness, it has been so long since I have played a game where you have 'lives', unless you count the VC games. I am so hyped for this. I wonder if you can float through walls as Boo Mario. That would be sweet.

The one - count 'em - ONE problem I have with this game so far is that it still insists on doing the old "Extra Lives" thing. This is an antiquated feature that really should have died a long time ago. I can understand extra lives/continues/credits on an old coin-op arcade cabinet, but with home consoles it only adds unnecessary stress, and nobody stands to profit from it.

This game looks like it could get very challenging, and I think in this day and age, I should be able to die continuously through trial and error and not have to exit the area in a tedious search for more 1-up mushrooms when I'm running low on lives.

Other than that the game looks amazing, but still, limiting my ability to make mistakes is simply uncalled for.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

creepy_mike

They aren't 'mans', they are 'dudes' or 'guys'... get it right! In all seriousness, it has been so long since I have played a game where you have 'lives', unless you count the VC games. I am so hyped for this. I wonder if you can float through walls as Boo Mario. That would be sweet.

The one - count 'em - ONE problem I have with this game so far is that it still insists on doing the old "Extra Lives" thing. This is an antiquated feature that really should have died a long time ago. I can understand extra lives/continues/credits on an old coin-op arcade cabinet, but with home consoles it only adds unnecessary stress, and nobody stands to profit from it.

This game looks like it could get very challenging, and I think in this day and age, I should be able to die continuously through trial and error and not have to exit the area in a tedious search for more 1-up mushrooms when I'm running low on lives.

Other than that the game looks amazing, but still, limiting my ability to make mistakes is simply uncalled for.

bah!  agree to disagree... I am happy to see a game with 'lives' again.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 rragnaar
[QUOTE="creepy_mike"][QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

dvader654

I completely disagree, in fact i wish they made the penalty more severe. If you die make it mean something, not just start right where you died, make it so you need to start a whole world over again or something. Make 1ups a necessary part of the gameplay again. All these Nintendo games now are to easy cause there are no penalties for ever dying, so you never care to play careful.

I know it probably scares many of you, some may be thinking about DMC3 (wimps :P ) but the Mario games have always been generous with their 1ups so if you are good you should have to worry that much, but at least that fear and challenge is there. And if it scares to many people than make it an option or something, like aclasic mode.

All I know is that we have all become to accustomed to having no fear of death in a game, it means nothing. Everything is just trial and error with no consequences. Bah, in my day you made one mistake too bad, you start the whole game over! Its all become about just finishing a game rather than the challenge to finish it.

I am with you on that... to me the possibility of failure is what makes gaming great.  I loved in Way of the Samurai how it would delete your saved game file every time you loaded it, so you had to play until you either beat the game, found another save point, or died.  It made a mediocre game very intense on the higher difficulty levels.  I don't want games to hold my hand as much as I want them to kick my ass.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 gaminggeek
You guys are complaining about 1ups? ....... in a mario game?
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

You guys are complaining about 1ups? ....... in a mario game? gaminggeek

Just me, apparently.

Well, to each his own. It's certainly not going to kill the experience for me, and I'll probably end up with 99 lives in no time anyway. I just prefer that a game's challenge lie in the actual difficulty of the task at hand, not in such things as extra lives or scarcity of save points, which to me just seem a little cheap. But again, that's just my opinion and respect everyone else's.

I promise my next post in this thread will be nothing but praise and anticipation. Deal? :)

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
I think it's about time I went to media lockdown mode concerning this game. These pictures and this thread in general has been awesome but now becoming too spoilerific :P
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 gaminggeek

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]You guys are complaining about 1ups? ....... in a mario game? creepy_mike

Just me, apparently.

Well, to each his own. It's certainly not going to kill the experience for me, and I'll probably end up with 99 lives in no time anyway. I just prefer that a game's challenge lie in the actual difficulty of the task at hand, not in such things as extra lives or scarcity of save points, which to me just seem a little cheap. But again, that's just my opinion and respect everyone else's.

I promise my next post in this thread will be nothing but praise and anticipation. Deal? :)

No by all means if you have a bug about something vent. I was just wondering because generally in these mario 3-D platformers, it really doesn't matter about lives at all, even if you lose them all they generally put you right back where you were and the levels can generally be dipped into so quickly it's not as if you have to backtrack acres of land to get back to the same point. To me, lives in a mario game are redundant.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 gaminggeek

Official Nintendo magazine UK had a recent playtest and is answering questions about the game on the forums :)

LINK

The four levels I played were:

· Tutorial level: catch the rabbits, meet Rosetta

· Piranha Plant level

· Bee level

· Stardust Galaxy level

ChrisONM

Go man go. It's been updated!

diablo_human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 diablo_human
Member since 2007 • 754 Posts
What a great post, thanks!
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
[QUOTE="creepy_mike"]

Amazing screens as well. Peach looks........really pretty, actually (assuming that's her). Never really seen the whole ethereal fairy/goddess/whatever looking female thing in a Mario game.

Skylock00

As far as I can tell, it isn't Peach. The katakana in that specific screenshot spells out "Rosetta" more or less...so unless I hear otherwise, it isn't Peach, and there might be multiple princesses in this game.

Oh no, not this "the princess is in another castle" crap again :shock:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 gaminggeek

Nintendo Official magazine Q and A session: Important parts (since you're all so lazy)

From what you've played, would you say it is the definitive sequel to Mario 64?
But based on what I've played, if the rest of the game is as entertaining and keeps up that level of originality then I'd say so, yes. Again, it's early days, but the levels certainly seemed more well-planned. You can tell by looking through the level that each area is there for a reason, and the whole thing just feels really well put together.

Are the graphics as beautiful as they have been in the trailers?
Hell yes. I can understand why you're asking that because I'll admit I was a bit skeptical too, but I was seriously impressed. There are giant boulders that roll around the Bee stage, and there's a big red gem lodged into each boulder, and as the boulder rolls past you can see Mario's reflection in the gem. it's see touches like that which make it look really impressive.

You've said in the mags that you own a 360, Chris. Well, imagine comparing Super Mario Galaxy's visuals to something on the 360 - does this game prove that Wii can hold up visuals as much as it's competitiors?
No. I know that sounds dodgy, but let's be realistic here: nothing on the Wii will ever match the high-powered HD visuals of anything on the 360 or PS3. In terms of what we've seen on the Wii it's easily the best-looking game on it yet, and there's no way the GameCube or Xbox could handle it. And I'd go so far as to say it challenges some 360 games if they were running in 480p too. But compared to the 360's HD visuals, the Wii just isn't powerful enough. Luckily, it's not the sort of game that requires photo-realism, so its cartoony nature means it manages to achieve exactly the look it requires.

Is the fur shader as awesome as it looks on videos?
Aye, I was really impressed by that, especially when you have to crawl on top of the large Queen Bee and find the star shards on her.

Did Mario run fast enough?
Yup. I've seen a report online that says he ran too slowly, and I've got to say I don't know what that guy was smoking because he runs at his normal pace as far as I'm concerned. The camera's zoomed out a bit more than it was in Mario 64 which perhaps gives the illusion that he's running slower, but he covers roughly the same ground in the same length of time as he would have done in 64.

How easy is Bee Mario to control?
Very easy. Mario doesn't jump when he's a Bee, so his fying is controlled by holding the jump button. If you watch one of the videos online it makes more sense, it's hard to explain. But it works very well. It's almost like the Fludd nozzle that lets you hover, only he also rises into the air too.

Can you tell us about Rosetta?

(possible small spoilers for this mission, guys!)
Well, Rosetta's not the new Princess for starters. She's just there to help you out. When you start the level you meet some small star creatures that turn into rabbits and run away from you. You have to find them (one's hidden in grass, one is hidden down a pipe etc) and catch them all. Once you do they ask you to go and find "Mama", who is ROsetta. Rosetta tells you that she can help you "find your loved one" and she asks you to go and rescue the Great Star (I think it was called the Great Star, I can't remember, sorry). So that's your mission for that level. Once you find the Great Star (or whatever it was called) she gives you the ability to spin attack, from what I can recall. Sorry, my memory on that level's a bit hazy because I only played it once. The Bee level is my speciality.

ONM

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 gaminggeek

Direct pics :D

Super Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'imagesSuper Mario Galaxy : plus d'images

Shazam!

toment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 toment
Member since 2005 • 8396 Posts
So much good and win in those JeuxFrance-Scans.
2007 PAL - please Nintendo!
Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts
Wow, those screens....so much colour...so much imagination...sensory overload....IT'S A ME! MARIO! :cry:
ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

Its all become about finishing a game rather than the challenge to finish it.dvader654
Agree 100%. This is probably the single biggest killer of the gaming experience in recent years imo. Halo's checkpoints and Half-Life's save anywhere system have removed the fear.

It all ties into the whole "story telling versus gameplay" debate. No one wants to be told the same chapter of a story 20 times before proceeding, so they arrange their game to have continuous progression. If they'd focus on the gameplay and the level design, you wouldn't mind playing a chapter/mission repeatedly because each time you'd discover new features and strategy.

The same has happened in race games (although not for the purpose of story telling). In order to make boasts about the numbers of tracks and vehicles available, devs have reduced the challenge on each one. I can't remember the last game that made meretry a race 30 times before succeeding. For me, throwing the controller in frustration just increased the pleasure of the eventual victory.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
ill admit i had really lost interest in this game for a while. partly because it was so far off, but partly because of the lack of real info on the game. seeing these pics has me pretty amped up again though. also seeing something besides the little planets to run around on is good.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 gaminggeek

Eurogamer-preview Extracts only here of a large 2 page preview. Reccomended reading :)

The six stages of Galaxy we played were pure bliss.

It's drop-dead gorgeous, for starters. This is not just the best-looking Wii title by miles, it's one of the best-looking games in the world full stop, HD or no HD. It's as smooth and shiny as silk, the colours are unbelievably vibrant, it's smothered in lustrous effects, and you feel like you can reach out and touch its chunky, cute and tactile designs. Super Mario Galaxy makes most hi-def games look about as solid and convincing as photographs pasted onto empty cereal packets. The sound is superb too: a riot of bright tinkles, radiophonic zings and zaps, and electro-funk remixes of vintage Mario tunes.

The controls are as fluid and versatile as ever.

The camera is mostly automatic and flawless. You'll find yourself involuntarily laughing out loud at the mischievous tricks Mario Galaxy constantly plays with your perceptions.

Star rings, shoot Mario across vast tracts of space; they're the game's exhilarating and spectacular signature moment.

You get caught up in its unstoppable forward momentum, running and jumping faster and faster, high on the rush, chaining it like a drug. This is when it reminds you most of 2D Mario gaming.

Honeybee, was more like a Mario 64 level, only broken in half, Star Dust Galaxy was a brain-melting assemblage of beam stars, glass planets and platforms that zap into place out of nowhere and was our favourite level in the demo.

Beach Bowl had Mario dodging huge cubic Whomps that worked their way around the outside of shattered cylinders, and felt an old Mario Bros castle leaping out of the pages of a pop-up book. Cookie Factory required you to time jumps across fast-moving platforms with geometric cutouts, and it was fiendishly hard in a very old-fashioned way.

Mario Galaxy seems effortless and easy, centered much more on the sheer sensory pleasure of play than on setting taxing tests of skill.

When Shigeru Miyamoto suggested this week that games should be fun, it was easy to(swearword otherwise known as moaning) and accuse him of stating the obvious. But Super Mario Galaxy proves his point to perfection: it's amazingly, dizzyingly, idiotically fun, in a way few games are these days. We're not going to call it aclas-sic Mario yet - we simply haven't seen enough - But we are going to predict that it will plaster millions of big smiles on millions of faces come November, and that, if nothing else, makes it a worthy successor and a half.

EUROGAMER

BTW OneWing, my DS Lite broke this week, cost me $60 for a replacement. :( I could've used that Phat Brick I gave you. Treat it well *sobs*

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 gaminggeek

Lemme just finish up posting these screens :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 rragnaar
The Fire Flower is back!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182258
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 gaminggeek

Nintendo Power...

"Every hundred years a comet passes over the Mushroom Kingdom and rains down magical stars and stardust, and as Princess Peach and the citizens of the kingdom are celebrating the centennial event, Bowser and his legions attack. As Mario attempts to put a stop to Bowser's shenanigans, but things go awry: the next thing he knows, he finds himself on a mysterious moon high above the Mushroom Kingdom."

Avatar image for ArabianKnight14
ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ArabianKnight14
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts

So now we have a good plot in a main mario game,a mix of the best of 2D Mario and 3D Mario with a great deal of originality,40 galaxys and 6 main galaxys(which might mean 6 main hubs),the fire flower in 3D.

Your looking at gamespots GOTY since bioshock got a 9

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 gaminggeek

New Screenage: This thread needs a sticky

se-devoile

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 gaminggeek
Where's the link man? :evil: You're so obsessed with Metal Gear Liquid your brain is befrazzled.
Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

Where's the link man? :evil: You're so obsessed with Metal Gear Liquid your brain is befrazzled. gaminggeek
I'll pick up Dvader's slack :P

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/97780.html

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 gaminggeek

So I'm glad at least (counts carefully) two people are interested in this game. So here is a video walkthrough of the egg plant galaxy:

Video here

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 rragnaar
Make it three GamingGeek...
and, what is going on here?

Super Mario Rabbit Molester?
MicWazowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 MicWazowski
Member since 2004 • 1704 Posts

So I'm glad at least (counts carefully) two people are interested in this game. So here is a video walkthrough of the egg plant galaxy:

Video here

gaminggeek

Wow. Is it just me or does everyone else think that just watching that short video is more fun than playing Super Mario Sunshine? I can't wait for this game to be released.

Avatar image for ArabianKnight14
ArabianKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ArabianKnight14
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
November cant come any sooner:)
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

Super Mario Rabbit Molester?rragnaar

That's one weird ass rabbit

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Super Mario Rabbit Molester?rragnaar

I'm also interested but i feel i've seen too much of this game already and want to go lockdown to save a few surprises for when i actually play it.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]Make it three GamingGeek...

Super Mario Rabbit Molester?bugsonglass

I'm also interested but i feel i've seen too much of this game already and want to go lockdown to save a few surprises for when i actually play it.

I third that statement! Thankfully I'm over my download quota so i'm on 56k at the moment and it's impossible to view any of this new stuff :P