Super Mario Galaxy Heaven (56k) GGD Goes hands on! Page 45

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

:shock: People? Actual real people in the thread? There must be something wrong with the world. Bioshock freeze up on you? 360s up and down the nation suddenly going into mass seizures? Cats and dogs raining down like fire from the heavens?

I hate these bunnies, I hated them in mario 64, I hated them in 64 DS X100

*goes to watch dvaders videos*

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#102 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts

:shock: People? Actual real people in the thread? There must be something wrong with the world. Bioshock freeze up on you? 360s up and down the nation suddenly going into mass seizures? Cats and dogs raining down like fire from the heavens?

gaminggeek
Well you can count me out for all three of those :P Just a regular PC/Wii user...
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 gaminggeek

Good to hear:) Best magazine cover.... ever?

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 gaminggeek

GC 2007: Mario Galaxy Updated Impressions

Extracts only, see link for full article :)

Someone tipped us off that at the title screen, a code could be implemented with the Wiimote that would unlock two new levels. Sure enough, after implementation we had unlocked Beach Bowl Galaxy and Cookie Factory Galaxy.

Fearing for our lives, we jumped into Cookie Factory as fast as we could, hoping Nintendo's PR handlers hadn't noticed. This was some of the most ****c platforming we've seen in Galaxy, yet.

Although it was fleeting, it was great to see something new and we can report that the Cookie Factory level looks as good, if not better, than what we had already seen. This is one Wii game that can proudly stand next to the best-looking Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games.

The camera is very smart and zooms after Mario wherever he goes. One wonders if the open space environment of Galaxy was a means of dealing with that pesky camera, one of the few complaints that can be made of Mario 64.

Once they are all collected another star launcher sends Mario to a lima bean planetoid where a piranha plant has made its nest. Dispose of the plant and a vine will grow, which leads to a bigger lima bean. Players spin the Wiimote to send Mario zipping along vines. It's one of those Nintendo touches that really feels good to control.

Eventually Mario crashes onto an egg jutting out of a small planetoid. A tail pops out of the shell and the egg begins moving around. Giving the tail a whack will send it careening into the shell, shattering it and revealing the Prehistoric Piranha, who reminds us of Petey Piranha in Super Mario Sunshine.

We could go on and on about Super Mario Galaxy, but you really only need to know one thing: it's awesome. Nintendo has been stingy about doling out details on Mario's latest adventure, but it is a near-certainty that the wait will have been worth it come November.

ign

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 gaminggeek
I saw that video recentely. Love that music. Would be amazing to have small planetoids based on past mario games. Like a super mario world level with the ending theme or a mario 64 one with the ending them music.
joyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 joyer
Member since 2003 • 979 Posts

oooh i like the new pics... well theyre new to me

especially the outer space spider things...things like that usually drive me crazy when heaps of them are about

i hope this game is hard as nails

fredrancour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 fredrancour
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts

Good to hear:) Best magazine cover.... ever?

gaminggeek
friggin' inferior American gaming mags..... can you subscribe to edge from outside england?
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 gaminggeek
Er... some of them I think. Games TM you can I think. But I think you can pick up EDGE at Sears or something. There must be shops that import them, we brits getthe american ass tissue magazines as imports, for extortionate prices that is :P
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#110 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
You know what has me most excited about SMG? The fact that it's being developed by the same people who brought us the marvelous, wonderful, superkalifragilisticexpialidosious DK Jungle Beat :D Click here to find out why that's such splendid news!
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 gaminggeek
Super Mario Galaxy : Honeybee GalaxySuper Mario Galaxy : Star Dust GalaxySuper Mario Galaxy : Gateway GalaxySuper Mario Galaxy : Egg Planet Galaxy
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 gaminggeek

AMN-preview

The first thing you notice is how it looks. The colours sit on the screen like fresh paint in the afternoon sun: everything shimmers and fizzles. It's sharp, crisp and gorgeous. The Wii may be the least powerful console of the generation, but such a statistic means nothing when you see how imagination and visual craft can create something that has onlookers simply standing and smiling. It raises the bar for what's possible from the Wii hardware - the 'it's only the Wii' excuse won't cut it anymore. (Believe me, I saw some poor looking third party titles at the show).

The second thing you notice is how effortlessly the game flows. In the hands of less talented hands, the concept - a platformer whose levels are arranged around a collection of high-gravity walk-around planets - could have been something of a mess. It could be disorientating, or awkward with the camera and movement. But it's not: it is seamless. Even the ambidextrous use of the Wiimote pointer feels instantly natural. Movement is spontaneous but solid, and the intertia as you float between planetoids is perfectly judged. The new mechanics become invisible, the sure sign of quality design.

AMN

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 gaminggeek

IGN Has an update on the hidden levels in a preview-here :D

First up, we tackled the stage we didn't get to play at Leipzig - Keepers of the Sky Gauntlet. It's a level packed with vicious Thwomps that try to crush you at every turn. Alongside these are rotating Toxic Boxes from Super Mario 64, which can only be avoided by looking for the hole in one of their six sides, which you can hide in as the box smashes to the ground when you try to sneak past. Furthermore, to add to the Mario nostalgia the music is a remix of the ****c Underworld track from Super Mario Bros. - a tune we were humming for some hours after we'd finished playing.

However, perhaps the most impressive thing about the level was its actual design. You see, in the centre of the stage are two spiralling black holes and between them a torrent of water rages from one to the other - creating a kind of bizarre anti-gravity rapids. The course itself is made up of a narrow concrete walkway that spirals around the two black holes. It's like nothing we've ever seen in a Mario game before and certainly goes to show the kind of imaginative stages the development team at Nintendo is able to create thanks to Galaxy's planet-based setting.

They indicate that Super Mario Galaxy will be bursting with challenging platform sections that take Mario back to his roots. They also highlight the game's tight controls, because within seconds of playing the cookie cutter level we were triple jumping our way across the gaps and dodging holes like a pro. If this is the shape of things to come in Galaxy then the release can't come soon enough.

IGNUK

There's much more but I can't even read that :cry: Teh spoilers are getting sick.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 gaminggeek

Wow, thanks GG for that. If any game can top Metroid for me this year it maybe SMG. The Wii may have my two favorite games of the year.dvader654

Did you see the new videos that I posted? Man I can't do it anymore. The spoilers are getting rotten. I can handle pics but the descriptions and videos are getting too much. :(

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 gaminggeek

NGamer has posted two pics from their latest mag preview on their website here

MODS THESE ARE NOT SCANS: THE PUBLISHER'S WEBSITE PUT THEM UP THEMSELVES: SEE LINK ABOVE :)

Here-Just-save-and-zoom-in-to-read

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 gaminggeek

K. At this point in the thread I'm now convinced that I'm talking to myself or just Dvader, who only pops in to alleviate my boredom. :(

New pics

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

That is one big Goomba.

Anyway, it does appear to be that way, GamingGeek. I guess there's only so many different ways people can say, "this game looks amazing" (which it does, more so with every single screenshot).

If its any consolation, I visit this thread on a regular basis, but most of the time I don't feel I have anything to add. :?

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 SupremeAC

Those picks are old, you incompetent illusionist! Stick to fireworks old man...

Anyhow, I was in a magazine store with Edge in one hand and Ngamer in the other. In the end I decided that 10 bucks for a piece of dead tree was too much and left with neither.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 gaminggeek

These are direct, large, high res screenies Fool of a Took!

You couldn't even post the video from the smash site! You couldn't post you way out of a post box! You heard me! :evil:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 gaminggeek

More screens :shock:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 gaminggeek

Game of the year confirmed :)

8.5 on Gamespot :P

:?

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 gaminggeek

A few bits of info coming from Nintendo's retailer conference yesterday morning. Some of these are a very rough translation. If anyone speaks German, please translate for us in our comments section!

- Luigi, Yoshi, and Princess Peach: Nintendo isn't telling anyone if these characters appear in the game. They could be in there, they could be playable, or they could be left out entirely. Anything you have heard thus far concerning the appearance of these characters is strictly speculation. (I thought we saw Peach in a scan!?)

- 60 fps

- Nintendo discussed that fact that there are definitely difficult levels in the game. The type of gameplay that requires perfect control over Mario.

- A decision has not been made concerning the WFC as of right now. The idea is still being kicked around, and the capacity is unknown.

- 16:9 (as we have seen)

- A mini-game level appeared that was housed in the "Trial Galaxy"

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 gaminggeek

One more pic. Damn this game is looking great. Still talking to myself though. :(

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 SupremeAC

gaminggeek

Any game with dry bones in it has my vote :D

Also, I read somewhere that you could see mario's fragmented reflection in these rubies, which would be a really cool effect IMO:

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 SupremeAC

Huzzah! Kammy Koopa's in the game! Hopefully he's a boss, he deserves to be :)

He looks kind of bland though, compared to the rest of the game.
Also, the question mark block makes a return:

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Epic Jenga!
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 gaminggeek

Also, I read somewhere that you could see mario's fragmented reflection in these rubies, which would be a really cool effect IMO:

SupremeAC

Page 4 of this thread :) Hello people!

Are the graphics as beautiful as they have been in the trailers?
Hell yes. I can understand why you're asking that because I'll admit I was a bit skeptical too, but I was seriously impressed. There are giant boulders that roll around the Bee stage, and there's a big red gem lodged into each boulder, and as the boulder rolls past you can see Mario's reflection in the gem. it's see touches like that which make it look really impressive.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 SupremeAC

[QUOTE="SupremeAC"]

gaminggeek

Page 4 of this thread :) Hello people!

And you're wondering why no one dares to reply in here no more? :P

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts

With this, Brawl and MP3, one wonders if Nintendo could ever release such a flurry if exciting titles like this again that all appear to be hitting a high note...! I hope so.

SMG looks sick, definitely the true follow-up to M64, it's going to be gaming bliss, can't wait!

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#133 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

With this, Brawl and MP3, one wonders if Nintendo could ever release such a flurry if exciting titles like this again that all appear to be hitting a high note...! I hope so.

SMG looks sick, definitely the true follow-up to M64, it's going to be gaming bliss, can't wait!

Mantorok

what a crock that is! super mario sunshine was superb. and yes its a nice flurry of games but lets hope this isnt the typical nntendo.....storm before the calm?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#134 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="Mantorok"]

OneWingedAngeI

what a crock that is! super mario sunshine was superb. and yes its a nice flurry of games but lets hope this isnt the typical nntendo.....storm before the calm?

You should donate yourself to the national museum of sciences, as I believe you are the only person I ever seen who liked Mario Sunshine. btw GG this thread after doing some reading has convinced me to buy Galaxys, wowowow o_0
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 OneWingedAngeI

You should donate yourself to the national museum of sciences, as I believe you are the only person I ever seen who liked Mario Sunshine. btw GG this thread after doing some reading has convinced me to buy Galaxys, wowowow o_0GodModeEnabled

you should check the opinions of people who actually talk about the topic. the game has this weird negative stigma, but in any conversation ive seen or participated in about the game, more people liked it than disliked. an 8 from gamespot, critic rating of 9.2, and user ratings averaged to 8.5 more than back that up.

the people who dislike sunshine mostly havent even played it, and just write it of cuz "its teh kiddy!"

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 selbie

you should check the opinions of people who actually talk about the topic. the game has this weird negative stigma, but in any conversation ive seen or participated in about the game, more people liked it than disliked. an 8 from gamespot, critic rating of 9.2, and user ratings averaged to 8.5 more than back that up.

the people who dislike sunshine mostly havent even played it, and just write it of cuz "its teh kiddy!"

OneWingedAngeI
If it makes any difference I'd like to add that Sunshine was a good game. I mean, I didn't play the WHOLE thing, but enough to know the game reasonably well. I think it's because of the different gameplay and characters (ie. FLUDD and Bowser Jr.) that it was seen by some as a 'lesser' mario game. It was great to play, but didn't stand up to Mario 64 in my opinion.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 OneWingedAngeI
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"]

selbie

If it makes any difference I'd like to add that Sunshine was a good game. I mean, I didn't play the WHOLE thing, but enough to know the game reasonably well. I think it's because of the different gameplay and characters (ie. FLUDD and Bowser Jr.) that it was seen by some as a 'lesser' mario game. It was great to play, but didn't stand up to Mario 64 in my opinion.

of course not, because SM64 had a massive impact. i remember 64 more fondly as well. it had more charm than SMS. but still, it was a great game and i hate to hear people bash it needlessly. twilight princess was a much better game than OOT, but OOT is remembered more fondly. it just happens that way sometimes. but SMS has a big stigma. i really think the lack of hype and the crappy commercials did it a big disservice.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Mantorok
[QUOTE="Mantorok"]

OneWingedAngeI

SMS was good, but not great, don't kid yourself, SMS was a M64 clone with a water pistol, it never evolved the series enough IMO.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 OneWingedAngeI
[QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"][QUOTE="Mantorok"]

Mantorok

SMS was good, but not great, don't kid yourself, SMS was a M64 clone with a water pistol, it never evolved the series enough IMO.

lol. it wasnt great? gamespot scored it actually by that very definition. most other sites higher. it wasnt "a m64 clone with a water pistol". that mechanic alone completely changed the way you play. there was also all the tightrope bouncing, and not to mention the throwback levels where you lost your FLUDD and had to play in a much different way. the level's were all well done and varied enough to keep things interesting. the story was meh as was the last boss, but so was SM64's.

revisiting the levels for the boss battles was also great. they did different things like putting lava all over, or making the actual ground covered with the enemy to completely change the level and makesaid levelinto its own boss of sorts. there was plenty of perilous plattforming to be had, and completing the tougher things left you feeling like you accomplished something.

all i have seen so far in the way of criticism is "wells the games was not great". care to elaborate? sure it didnt reinvent the genre but... so what? neither did alot of games. its the pinnacle of the SM64 formula. i go back and play it from time to time, its that good. i cant say that i will ever replay MP3. i can't say that about twilight princess.

i bought the game when it dropped to $29.99 used, expecting it to be crap. i was surprised with one of the best gamecube games around.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 gaminggeek
Got to agree with Dvader especially and Onewing too. Sunshine IS better than 64, going back to play both you really notice. Sunshine is marred because it didn't reach the greatest game ever status that several mario games have on release. Gamespots review, again by Jeff G is unervingly harsh. This is why I believe some hold long term franchises to higher standards, which gives an unfair picture of some games.
creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I am beyond elated to meet a group of individuals with the chutzpah to acknowledge that the successors to OOT and SM64 can in fact be considered superior to their respective originals.

It seems that once something is given the lofty title of "Greatest Game of All Time", people are beyond reluctant to imagine anything better. The way I see it, SM64 and OOT were indeed revolutionary, but mostly just because they made the difficult leap from 2D to 3D and did it very well. Other than that, most of these game's innovations were clever, original and brilliantly executed, but not necessarily inspired. It's usually only after the groundwork is set that the new ideas become truly mind-blowing.

The interesting thing is, the vast majority of game franchises are merely sequel after sequel with improved graphics and a few new bells and whistles thrown in, and nobody complains, because that's precisely what they want and expect. Nintnendo sequels are almost always much more than this, but if ever they fail to invent a new primary color, they're accused of rehashing and cloning. What do they honestly want from the next big Mario or Zelda game, 4D?

If anything, it shows that deep down, people have a deeper respect and higher expectations for Nintendo, as well they should.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Mantorok
[QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="OneWingedAngeI"][QUOTE="Mantorok"]

OneWingedAngeI

lol. it wasnt great? gamespot scored it actually by that very definition. most other sites higher. it wasnt "a m64 clone with a water pistol". that mechanic alone completely changed the way you play. there was also all the tightrope bouncing, and not to mention the throwback levels where you lost your FLUDD and had to play in a much different way. the level's were all well done and varied enough to keep things interesting. the story was meh as was the last boss, but so was SM64's.

revisiting the levels for the boss battles was also great. they did different things like putting lava all over, or making the actual ground covered with the enemy to completely change the level and makesaid levelinto its own boss of sorts. there was plenty of perilous plattforming to be had, and completing the tougher things left you feeling like you accomplished something.

all i have seen so far in the way of criticism is "wells the games was not great". care to elaborate? sure it didnt reinvent the genre but... so what? neither did alot of games. its the pinnacle of the SM64 formula. i go back and play it from time to time, its that good. i cant say that i will ever replay MP3. i can't say that about twilight princess.

i bought the game when it dropped to $29.99 used, expecting it to be crap. i was surprised with one of the best gamecube games around.

You make some good points, maybe I was expecting too much when I first brought it, thinking back now your points are relevant and have given me some food for thought, like dvader said it's typical when you have a successor to such great games, when I step back I realise we can be too hard on these titles sometimes.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 GodModeEnabled
SMS was ******* horrible. Id rather light a porcupine on fire and have it crawl straight up my ass than play that game again. Fludd? more like ****. And I also consider SM64 to be the pinnacle of not only mario, but most of gaming so its not like I dont like mario. Galaxy is gonna stomp sunshine.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
I agree that most classic games are not as good as their more modern counter parts. The classics that are frequently considered the best games of all time are considered to be so because they were ground breaking, and nobody had ever played a game quite like it before. This made the gameplay feel fresh and amazing. Most modern games are not as ground breaking, because games have improved in quality scope and detail over time, and expanded into new genres. There are quite a few modern games that are substantially better than their older counter parts, but in general they are considered inferior to their older counterparts because, for the most part, the improvements made over their older counter parts is more subtle. These subtle improvements result in a game that is better, but they are not revolutionary to provide the experience of playing a completly new game for the first time like the player felt in the original.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 selbie
I noticed Wiki saying that Sunshine it's the second highest selling game on the Gamecube after Smash Bros Melee :shock: Underrated game? I think so.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 selbie

[QUOTE="selbie"]I noticed Wiki saying that Sunshine it's the second highest selling game on the Gamecube after Smash Bros Melee :shock: Underrated game? I think so.dvader654

Yep thats correct, never underestimate the power of Mario. Galaxy and Smash are monster sellers, system sellers, coming to the wii this holiday season. Anyone thinking that Wii sales will slow down are in for a shock.

Undeniably. The sheer quality of Galaxy alone will attract flocks of people for the Wii. I have to take my hat off to Nintendo for timing this trilogy of games perfectly.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="selbie"]I noticed Wiki saying that Sunshine it's the second highest selling game on the Gamecube after Smash Bros Melee :shock: Underrated game? I think so.selbie

Yep thats correct, never underestimate the power of Mario. Galaxy and Smash are monster sellers, system sellers, coming to the wii this holiday season. Anyone thinking that Wii sales will slow down are in for a shock.

Undeniably. The sheer quality of Galaxy alone will attract flocks of people for the Wii. I have to take my hat off to Nintendo for timing this trilogy of games perfectly.

I like to pretend that all thse holiday shoppers will be buying their Wiis for Fire Emblem: Goddess Of Dawn :) what I can dream cant I?! *grumbles*