MGR Revengence Demo Impressions Thread

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

I really enjoyed it. The characters were a bit too stereotypical though. Boris and Doktor are a fine example. I'm not expecting characters to be as awesome as they were in the MGS games, but I don't particulary find these characters interesting except for Raiden of course. Gameplay wise, I found it very fun. I really hope that the full version includes more combos. They really got old after my 5th playthrough of the demo.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I tried so hard to like it. So hard.

But i only managed about 5 minutes of the demo.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#103 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Ilovegames1992

I'm curious now.

Why only five minutes and what was it about the demo that turned you off about it?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Metamania

I'm curious now.

Why only five minutes and what was it about the demo that turned you off about it?

I really just couldn't get over the silly concept of the game. The sword mechanics bored me after a few goes, the high heels were entertaining for a while but stupid and the characters were trite and uninteresting and possibly borderline offensive. I'm sure most will enjoy it as its own thing i guess. Just not for me.

Headpopper333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#107 Headpopper333
Member since 2009 • 924 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has spoken up about the demo that was released, so I figured to start a thread about it here.

I played through it for the first time. Black_Knight was telling me earlier that it felt like a PSOne game to him, but when I played it, it looked decent enough to the point of where it was playable.

And that's the important part of the demo; the gameplay. I like to indulge myself in some hack-n-slash when I can and this is pretty cool, I have to admit. You can use your basic button combos to get the job done, but when you down the left trigger on the 360 controller (not sure what it is on the PS3), you'll go into what's called Blade Mode, where time slows down completely and you are able to freely slice and dice up your foes in anyway you see fit. So far, I've managed to get up to a 68-hit combo against the cyborg dog that you fight as the boss of the demo (wondering if there's an achievement/trophy for that?). What sucks, however, is the defense options you have. You can run around your opponents and apparently parry, but the demo doesn't explain it enough on how to parry or what kind of defensive manuevers you are given. Not even the freaking tutorial tells you at all; in fact, you are only given the game's basic instructions on the Blade Mode.

Also, after you are finished with each battle conflict, you'll be scored and ranked on how well you performed. The better you do at killing and surviving with a higher rate of energy, the better. Speaking of energy, in order to gain back energy, you'll need to finish off your opponents by pressing the B button when prompted. That happens once you hurt them enough to the point of where they can no longer fight back, so if you are low on energy, go for it!

There are elements of stealth, as you would expect from a Metal Gear game. In the demo, there's an ability called Augment mode (Konami's Detective Mode, if you will), where you can scan your surroundings and see who is or is not the bad guys and use the surroundings to your advantage. I tried to sneak by without being spotted, but that didn't happen, so I was forced to fight a couple of soldiers and two robots at one point. I wonder if there's an achievement/trophy for that too? Finally, I saw a Japanese symbol at the end of the boss fight, as Raiden was destroying the robot, but again, the demo doesn't tell you what to do and makes you try to figure it out as well.

Bottom line; it's a playable demo and it shows what the game will be like in the future, but I'm not entirely sure if it will grab Metal Gear fans or even hack-n-slash fans to the point of where a $60 purchase is justified.

For those who have played it, any thoughts?

Metamania

I wasn't buying it until I played the demo on PS3, it's incredibly polished and the gameplay is very tight. I love the premise of playing as a futuristic ninja and the game feels like it fits well in the MGS universe. It's fun as hell slicing your enemies in half and decapitating them, fighting the geckos is awesome, the game is plain fun in my opinion and I'm picking it up day one. **** the haters.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#108 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The demo was alright, my grip was the parry system which was sketchy, some of the action was awesome while the dialogue and characters were just cheesy as hell.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#109 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
So regarding the demo: [spoiler] How the heck do you fight the boss battle? I keep dying very fast against the chainsaw AI thing. It just uses the same attacks over and over and I feel like I can not deffend against it bar running around in cirlces or running away from it in general. Attacking it seems to cause very little damage so I am not sure where I am going wrong? [/spoiler] Got further than I have before, realized stealth was required in a certain section (where there are gaurds on the walkway above the road with the two two legged gun things walking around, I can not think what they are callled, Metal Gear Rays maybe?). I was dieing over and over in that spot until I realized you can just go behind the guys and stealth kill them before taking on the tank things and that seemed to work a lot better than going in and just mashing with the sword. Sorry for the poor use of names, I did play through MGS4 but this was a long time ago so I have forgotten what half the enemie types are called. If I can give the demo another go I may give this a buy, but I want to resolve the spoiler I put before deciding as I found that very frustrating.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#110 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

So regarding the demo: [spoiler] How the heck do you fight the boss battle? I keep dying very fast against the chainsaw AI thing. It just uses the same attacks over and over and I feel like I can not deffend against it bar running around in cirlces or running away from it in general. Attacking it seems to cause very little damage so I am not sure where I am going wrong? [/spoiler] Garfield360UK
Yeah, that boss battle nearly caused me to stop playing the game, and actually made me decide not to buy the game for a good while (will make an excellent 30 dollar game). Basically, what you got to do is move the left stick towards your attacker and hit square right before attacking to parry. There is not defense or dodge buttons, so parrying is your only option. And yeah, what you need to do is wait for one of his attacks with his tail to parry, because if you parry his lunging attack, he just bounces away from you, not leaving you any time to get a combo off on him.

It's a multi-staged fight, by the way, so be prepared to fight him three times. After the first, he'll throw some guards at you, very very easy, and it actually gives you an opportunity to heal off one of them. After you beat him again, he'll call one of of those bi-ped mechs on you, and they're actually really easy as well. Just parry (got to get good at that) their leg kicks, as they choreograph them pretty easily, jump up in the air and hack and slash in Sword Mode, and you should beat it pretty quickly. In the third and final stage, the chainsaw AI will begin pouncing all over the place, and it's really easy to dodge him. He zig zags about four times, pouncing on you on the fourth. Just jump to avoid the attack. Keep parrying his other attacks, and let loose combos on him ONLY when he doesn't bounce way back. I learned that it's foolish to keep running after him, so you basically have him come to you. Once you start dazing him, then it's over. Just keep it up until he's dead. I beat him with one freaking percent left! :lol:

So yeah, I finally played the demo last night. I do want the game, but I was overly frustrated with that boss fight, so I'm not going to get it right away. I do love Sword Mode, though, but I just wish the destructive special effects of structures that you ruin were a little better. I love Platinum Games, so of couse I'll have to get this eventually, just not right away.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#111 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]So regarding the demo: [spoiler] How the heck do you fight the boss battle? I keep dying very fast against the chainsaw AI thing. It just uses the same attacks over and over and I feel like I can not deffend against it bar running around in cirlces or running away from it in general. Attacking it seems to cause very little damage so I am not sure where I am going wrong? [/spoiler] JustPlainLucas

Yeah, that boss battle nearly caused me to stop playing the game, and actually made me decide not to buy the game for a good while (will make an excellent 30 dollar game). Basically, what you got to do is move the left stick towards your attacker and hit square right before attacking to parry. There is not defense or dodge buttons, so parrying is your only option. And yeah, what you need to do is wait for one of his attacks with his tail to parry, because if you parry his lunging attack, he just bounces away from you, not leaving you any time to get a combo off on him.

It's a multi-staged fight, by the way, so be prepared to fight him three times. After the first, he'll throw some guards at you, very very easy, and it actually gives you an opportunity to heal off one of them. After you beat him again, he'll call one of of those bi-ped mechs on you, and they're actually really easy as well. Just parry (got to get good at that) their leg kicks, as they choreograph them pretty easily, jump up in the air and hack and slash in Sword Mode, and you should beat it pretty quickly. In the third and final stage, the chainsaw AI will begin pouncing all over the place, and it's really easy to dodge him. He zig zags about four times, pouncing on you on the fourth. Just jump to avoid the attack. Keep parrying his other attacks, and let loose combos on him ONLY when he doesn't bounce way back. I learned that it's foolish to keep running after him, so you basically have him come to you. Once you start dazing him, then it's over. Just keep it up until he's dead. I beat him with one freaking percent left! :lol:

So yeah, I finally played the demo last night. I do want the game, but I was overly frustrated with that boss fight, so I'm not going to get it right away. I do love Sword Mode, though, but I just wish the destructive special effects of structures that you ruin were a little better. I love Platinum Games, so of couse I'll have to get this eventually, just not right away.

Ah cool, any tips for regaining health on that battle?
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]

[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]So regarding the demo: [spoiler] How the heck do you fight the boss battle? I keep dying very fast against the chainsaw AI thing. It just uses the same attacks over and over and I feel like I can not deffend against it bar running around in cirlces or running away from it in general. Attacking it seems to cause very little damage so I am not sure where I am going wrong? [/spoiler] Garfield360UK

Ah cool, any tips for regaining health on that battle?

The boss, after sustaining a certain level of damage, calls out for reinforcements and you can utilize those attacking soldiers to regain health. I would also recommend holding onto the health paste you get earlier in the game and use it if you take too many hits before having an opportunity to mine enemies for health.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#113 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The boss, after sustaining a certain level of damage, calls out for reinforcements and you can utilize those attacking soldiers to regain health. I would also recommend holding onto the health paste you get earlier in the game and use it if you take too many hits before having an opportunity to mine enemies for health.

Grammaton-Cleric

You know, when I retried, it didn't give me back my health paste. :?

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#114 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Coming from a long time MGS fan, glitches aside like falling through the world, lol, the demo was pretty tight and way more fun than expected. Blade mode was pretty cool and I enjoyed slicing and dicing Gekkos. Courtney wasn't a bad addition either, lol.

The characters and story seems corny but the fast paced action is what I wanted to see anyway. Why is the doctor authorized to give Raiden upgrades? If they're all on the same team, shouldn't they want to send Raiden on the battlefield with best possible equipment? Lazy way of saying 'hey, you gotta collect electryte orbs from cyborgs to replenish you blade meter' but the gameplay makes up for it.

If this game is at least long as a MGS game length wise, that would ne nice but I have a feeling this may be short like Dishonored or something that be completed within a few hours. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

JustPlainLucas

You know, when I retried, it didn't give me back my health paste. :?

That's unfortunate.

I've gotten good enough at the demo that I no longer need it but I will concede that boss fight is pretty tough, especially if you don't stay defensive.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Is it possible to parry just about any enemy attack? Obviously close combat attacks can be countered (although I still need to work on my timing) but is it also possible to swat away bullets, rockets, grenades and the like?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#117 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Something I found amusing: at the very start of the demo, after you fight the three guys, try cutting the lamp posts at either side of the metal bridge and slice the lamps in two: inside they are made of stone
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Is it possible to parry just about any enemy attack? Obviously close combat attacks can be countered (although I still need to work on my timing) but is it also possible to swat away bullets, rockets, grenades and the like?

Business_Fun
I don't know about rockets, but when ninja running, I found that he sweeps his sword around to deflect bullets.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

El_Zo1212o

I don't know about rockets, but when ninja running, I found that he sweeps his sword around to deflect bullets.

That's useful, thanks. I have to say, I was unaware that Raiden could sprint until about my third playthrough :P

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#120 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Business_Fun

From the playthroughs that I did with the demo, I think it's possible to parry against every attack, but you have to time it well to happen. I remember having to parry three times against the cyborg dog's three-hit spinning tail combo and it wasn't easy to do.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Funny. The demo did not instill in me the utter need to buy the game. What did? Finding out that the old cyborg ninja outfit was a preorder bonus.