MGR Revengence Demo Impressions Thread

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] actualy South Africa. Anyway I'm all down for voicing my thoughts of something I hate, but I'l never (from this point foward) pass of my hate as facts or valid arguments against something. For instance I hate Final Fantasy, but I wont deny what an impressively good franchise it really is. We gota give credit where its earned. Right ?Metamania

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of an opinionated post, I don't know what is.

Incipit = It Begins in Latin?

That's correct. Also, I edited "opinionated", it was not the term I was looking for

#52 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of an opinionated post, I don't know what is.GodModeEnabled

Incipit = It Begins in Latin?

Clearly he is not thinking straight enough to spell properly. Most of the blood in his head has gone to his crotch to fuel his raging hate boner.

Actually, Incipit IS a word. He spelled it correctly.

#53 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
lol I blame my own hate boner for the mistake then.
#54 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
lol I blame my own hate boner for the mistake then.GodModeEnabled
Please keep info on your boners on a need to know basis
#55 Posted by Archangel3371 (15642 posts) -
Got around to playing the demo and oh man was it ever awesome. Metal Gear and Platinum Games is a match made in heaven. The game looks great and the gameplay is excellent. The whole slicing mechanic is extremely cool. All the dialog seems perfectly fine to me. Definite purchase for me and it's less then a month away now. Damn there's going to be a lot of great games coming out in the next few months.
#56 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I am still confused by this demo, I cant find no rhythm and I see flaws in the combat system everywhere. The parry system is just terrible, there is a button that is never used just sitting there, how hard is it to make that block. To parry you have to push the stick in the direction of the enemy and hit square which is also an attack, so if the enemy starts moving around or the camera desides to flip around you will miss the stick movement and no Raiden is swinging in midair where he can be attacked freely.

Now there is an evade but you have to press square and X at the same time and a direction, once again camera movements can make this move result in you moving in a direction you do not want to go. Coming from DmC where I didnt even have to think about the camera to this game where the camera hates you is too much to handle right now.

I have seen the combo list, I have used all the moves in the demo but there seems to be no real reason to ever use them in any type skill based situation. Every regular enemy can be killed instantly with your slow mo slice, basically use any move then enter slow mo, they are dead. Yes you can combo them if you want but what is the point, the scoring system doesnt seem to care either. Then there are the gekkos which you just combo away until randomly you get a finisher or it starts glowing blue.

I spent over an hour on the boss just trying different things, I still couldnt get a rhythm down. I dont know why sometimes when you parry you can instantly counter and sometimes you cant. I dont know why a certain combo will sometimes stun the boss and other times it wont. Canceling out of your moves is a pain in the ass, way too many times I am stuck in a damn animation and I cant parry.

Yes the game allows you to come up with some inventive skills. Yes staying alive requires great mastery of parry and dodge. Yes you can reach a point where you are destroying everything in a flashy way. But I never feel in full control of a battle. When there are rocket guys I need to get to them first cause trying to dodge out of screen rockets is almost impossible. Managing a combat arena becomes a one on one elimination type endeavor, kill this guy first, then that guy, then the next guy. In other action games like DMC I can be fighting 6 guys at once who have multiple strengths and weakness and Dante is totally capable of attacking all at once. I feel in control of a large battle in DMC, in this game I feel like I have to pick people off one by one.

I still dont see the hook, I am sure its there somewhere but some of these design choices really have me worried. Pausing the game to enter akward slashing mode is not interesting to me, if that is the basis of the whole game there is a big problem. Grammton you said there is a whole mastery of using certain combos at certain times to fight enemies, if you would please explain it all to me in detail I would like to see. All the expert videos I see on youtube just seem like exploitations of the fighting system.

#57 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

I am still confused by this demo, I cant find no rhythm and I see flaws in the combat system everywhere. The parry system is just terrible, there is a button that is never used just sitting there, how hard is it to make that block. To parry you have to push the stick in the direction of the enemy and hit square which is also an attack, so if the enemy starts moving around or the camera desides to flip around you will miss the stick movement and no Raiden is swinging in midair where he can be attacked freely. Now there is an evade but you have to press square and X at the same time and a direction, once again camera movements can make this move result in you moving in a direction you do not want to go. dvader654
I couldn't agree more. The block function feels unnatural and I may suck at this sort of game, but it only seemed to work one time in three for me. I didn't even know there was a dodge function.

#58 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73999 posts) -

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of post based on personal opinion, I don't know what is.

Black_Knight_00
So, if you hate their games, why play them?
#59 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of post based on personal opinion, I don't know what is.

JustPlainLucas
So, if you hate their games, why play them?

Who says I do? I have to try them when they come out though, what if they finally make one I might like?
#60 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73999 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Who says I do? I have to try them when they come out though, what if they finally make one I might like?

You just said you do, didn't you? :? "whenever Platinum makes a game, I can always rest assured that I'll hate it, regardless of how hard I try to like it" And then you quote yourself saying the same thing. "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" It just sounds to me that you play something you know you won't like just to hear yourself criticize it... If you've tried so many Platinum Games games before and the end result doesn't change, why continue to bother with them? Yeah, they might make one you might like, but you'll more than likely not even know it, considering you always approach their games pessimistically. I just think your time would be better spent playing demos of games you really are interested in...
#61 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Who says I do? I have to try them when they come out though, what if they finally make one I might like?

You just said you do, didn't you? :? "whenever Platinum makes a game, I can always rest assured that I'll hate it, regardless of how hard I try to like it" And then you quote yourself saying the same thing. "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" It just sounds to me that you play something you know you won't like just to hear yourself criticize it... If you've tried so many Platinum Games games before and the end result doesn't change, why continue to bother with them? Yeah, they might make one you might like, but you'll more than likely not even know it, considering you always approach their games pessimistically. I just think your time would be better spent playing demos of games you really are interested in...

Demos are free /argument
#62 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73999 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Demos are free /argument

So is mud. Go play in some. /stupid rebuttal
#63 Posted by Syn_Valence (1350 posts) -

I could not even finish this horrible experience........if this wasnt a METAL GEAR GAME it would be awesome.........but it is and it fails sorry i hope you flop in sales also...

#64 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Demos are free /argument

You made a stupid rebuttal, that's for sure :/
#65 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Demos are free /argument

Black Knight wins. FLAWLESS VICTORY!
#66 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Demos are free /argumentJustPlainLucas

That really was a stupid rebuttal, coming from you, JPL!

Better luck next time!

#67 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Demos are free /argumentMetamania

Better luck next time!

The problem is he seems to be under the impression I want to hate these games, when I don't: I got Bayonetta despite hating the demo, I tried playing the Vanquish demo multiple times to try to like that game, I even downloaded it off PS+ when it was free: 15GB (after which my PS3 refused to install it, must be fate). I will buy Metal Gear Rising sooner or later, despite everything, just because it's a Metal Gear game.

Knowing that, does it sound like I'm hating on Platinum? I don't think so, I'm just noting how they consistently and inexplicably manage to make games that end up getting on my nerves.

#68 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"]So is mud. Go play in some. /stupid rebuttalBlack_Knight_00

Better luck next time!

The problem is he seems to be under the impression I want to hate these games, when I don't: I got Bayonetta despite hating the demo, I tried playing the Vanquish demo multiple times to try to like that game, I even downloaded it off PS+ when it was free: 15GB (after which my PS3 refused to install it, must be fate). I will buy Metal Gear Rising sooner or later, despite everything, just because it's a Metal Gear game.

Knowing that, does it sound like I'm hating on Platinum? I don't think so, I'm just noting how they consistently and inexplicably manage to make games that end up getting on my nerves.

I really wanted to like Vanquish. I mean, the nutshell synopsis in Game Informer was "shoot-dash-shoot-dash explosion" or something like that, but it was too Japanese for my taste.
#69 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Black_Knight seems to have a severe case of butthurtitis.

I'm downloading it now, the optimist in me wants to enjoy sh!tty, series deviation hack n slashing.

#70 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Better luck next time!

El_Zo1212o

I really wanted to like Vanquish. I mean, the nutshell synopsis in Game Informer was "shoot-dash-shoot-dash explosion" or something like that, but it was too Japanese for my taste.

Same. I mean: it's still probably the best shooter Japan has ever made (which is not saying a lot, I admit), but it just rubs me the wrong way on so many levels.
#71 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] The problem is he seems to be under the impression I want to hate these games, when I don't: I got Bayonetta despite hating the demo, I tried playing the Vanquish demo multiple times to try to like that game, I even downloaded it off PS+ when it was free: 15GB (after which my PS3 refused to install it, must be fate). I will buy Metal Gear Rising sooner or later, despite everything, just because it's a Metal Gear game.

Black_Knight_00

Same. I mean: it's still probably the best shooter Japan has ever made (which is not saying a lot, I admit), but it just rubs me the wrong way on so many levels.

I think Vanquish is glorious, a riotously entertaining ode to the primal joy of shooting the f*ck out of things at high speed. A one-trick pony perhaps, but the trick is played so well and with such flair that I never tire of watching it.

On topic, is anyone else still not completely sold on Raiden's high heels? I know it's a petty complaint but as he stands there ready to deal out judgment and slaughter I can't help but feel he looks a little peculiar.

#72 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -
On topic, is anyone else still not completely sold on Raiden's high heels? I know it's a petty complaint but as he stands there ready to deal out judgment and slaughter I can't help but feel he looks a little peculiar.Business_Fun
Yeah, they looked silly in MGS4 and they still look silly.
#73 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I am still confused by this demo, I cant find no rhythm and I see flaws in the combat system everywhere. The parry system is just terrible, there is a button that is never used just sitting there, how hard is it to make that block. To parry you have to push the stick in the direction of the enemy and hit square which is also an attack, so if the enemy starts moving around or the camera desides to flip around you will miss the stick movement and no Raiden is swinging in midair where he can be attacked freely.

Now there is an evade but you have to press square and X at the same time and a direction, once again camera movements can make this move result in you moving in a direction you do not want to go. Coming from DmC where I didnt even have to think about the camera to this game where the camera hates you is too much to handle right now.

I have seen the combo list, I have used all the moves in the demo but there seems to be no real reason to ever use them in any type skill based situation. Every regular enemy can be killed instantly with your slow mo slice, basically use any move then enter slow mo, they are dead. Yes you can combo them if you want but what is the point, the scoring system doesnt seem to care either. Then there are the gekkos which you just combo away until randomly you get a finisher or it starts glowing blue.

I spent over an hour on the boss just trying different things, I still couldnt get a rhythm down. I dont know why sometimes when you parry you can instantly counter and sometimes you cant. I dont know why a certain combo will sometimes stun the boss and other times it wont. Canceling out of your moves is a pain in the ass, way too many times I am stuck in a damn animation and I cant parry.

Yes the game allows you to come up with some inventive skills. Yes staying alive requires great mastery of parry and dodge. Yes you can reach a point where you are destroying everything in a flashy way. But I never feel in full control of a battle. When there are rocket guys I need to get to them first cause trying to dodge out of screen rockets is almost impossible. Managing a combat arena becomes a one on one elimination type endeavor, kill this guy first, then that guy, then the next guy. In other action games like DMC I can be fighting 6 guys at once who have multiple strengths and weakness and Dante is totally capable of attacking all at once. I feel in control of a large battle in DMC, in this game I feel like I have to pick people off one by one.

I still dont see the hook, I am sure its there somewhere but some of these design choices really have me worried. Pausing the game to enter akward slashing mode is not interesting to me, if that is the basis of the whole game there is a big problem. Grammton you said there is a whole mastery of using certain combos at certain times to fight enemies, if you would please explain it all to me in detail I would like to see. All the expert videos I see on youtube just seem like exploitations of the fighting system.

dvader654

Blade mode is essentially a combo-modifier and what I discovered is that it is meant to be used in conjunction with the combo system and, when utilized effectively, you can fell multiple enemies. It took me a few plays to figure out how to implement it but once I got a feel for the system is felt intuitive.

As I understand it the combo system and move set will increase as you progress through the game but even at the outset there seemed to be plenty of combat options. I can't recall having played a hack n' slash game with what is essentially melee bullet time and personally, I think it's a pretty slick hook.

The lack of a dedicated block initially bothered me but now that I've learned the timing and technique I think it works well. I've been able to not only deflect and counter melee attacks of all variety but I can also now bat away projectiles with relative ease.

And again, comparing this to DMC is a mistake given that the primary mode of engagement is a sword. If anything this feels like a frantic extension of Ninja Gaiden.

#74 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Blade mode is essentially a combo-modifier and what I discovered is that it is meant to be used in conjunction with the combo system and, when utilized effectively, you can fell multiple enemies. It took me a few plays to figure out how to implement it but once I got a feel for the system is felt intuitive.

As I understand it the combo system and move set will increase as you progress through the game but even at the outset there seemed to be plenty of combat options. I can't recall having played a hack n' slash game with what is essentially melee bullet time and personally, I think it's a pretty slick hook.

The lack of a dedicated block initially bothered me but now that I've learned the timing and technique I think it works well. I've been able to not only deflect and counter melee attacks of all variety but I can also now bat away projectiles with relative ease.

And again, comparing this to DMC is a mistake given that the primary mode of engagement is a sword. If anything this feels like a frantic extension of Ninja Gaiden.

But how can blade mode be a combo modifier if it always results in the end of the combo. Its an instant kill, it ends the fights. I dont see that much fun in running at a guy pressing square square then slow mo instant kill and it seems like the game thinks that is the most skillful way to deal with enemies. I can see the combos you have can result in juggles, stuns, air launches but who do I use this on? The grunts make no use of this what so ever cause you can kill them in one hit. Gekkos totally ignore all those effects cause they cant be air launched or juggled so what is it there for. The dog boss sometimes I can stun it sometimes I cant, I dont get why I think it has to do with where it is in its attack animation. I assume the full game will make great use of it but it just shows the inconsitancy in the combat system, the moves dont work the same on everyone and it is not a clear cut reason why, like you dont see them using a shield or anything.

#75 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] I really wanted to like Vanquish. I mean, the nutshell synopsis in Game Informer was "shoot-dash-shoot-dash explosion" or something like that, but it was too Japanese for my taste.Business_Fun

I think Vanquish is glorious, a riotously entertaining ode to the primal joy of shooting the f*ck out of things at high speed. A one-trick pony perhaps, but the trick is played so well and with such flair that I never tire of watching it.

On topic, is anyone else still not completely sold on Raiden's high heels? I know it's a petty complaint but as he stands there ready to deal out judgment and slaughter I can't help but feel he looks a little peculiar.

I think Lost Planet 2 was the best shooter to come out of Japan this generation. I seriously love that game. But what really hurt my opinion of Vanquish was the melee attack drained all your suit's power. Using a melee attack left you in such a vulnerable state. I just couldn't work around that(I'm very hands on that way). As far as Raiden's heels, they were less distracting to me than the fact that when walking, Raiden swings his hips like a girl. Those Japanese... whew.
#76 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

But how can blade mode be a combo modifier if it always results in the end of the combo. Its an instant kill, it ends the fights. I dont see that much fun in running at a guy pressing square square then slow mo instant kill and it seems like the game thinks that is the most skillful way to deal with enemies. I can see the combos you have can result in juggles, stuns, air launches but who do I use this on? The grunts make no use of this what so ever cause you can kill them in one hit. Gekkos totally ignore all those effects cause they cant be air launched or juggled so what is it there for. The dog boss sometimes I can stun it sometimes I cant, I dont get why I think it has to do with where it is in its attack animation. I assume the full game will make great use of it but it just shows the inconsitancy in the combat system, the moves dont work the same on everyone and it is not a clear cut reason why, like you dont see them using a shield or anything.

dvader654

On weaker enemies the blade mode is instant kill but on tougher enemies not so much.

Again, this is a tiny demo but even when given such a small sampling the combat seems plenty varied to me and I can only assume there will be plenty of tougher enemies that will allow us to utilize more varied and lengthy combos should we choose.

I would also assume moves have different effects on different enemies but within those classes the effects of the attacks seem consistent.

The boss fight doesn't always grant you an automatic stun but I think going into blade mode immediately following a successful parry might allow you to hit him. Regardless, you can't simply turtle and win and the game requires a proactive aggressiveness that seems to sit at the thematic core of Platinum's software.

#77 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Grammaton-Cleric

On weaker enemies the blade mode is instant kill but on tougher enemies not so much.

Again, this is a tiny demo but even when given such a small sampling the combat seems plenty varied to me and I can only assume there will be plenty of tougher enemies that will allow us to utilize more varied and lengthy combos should we choose.

I would also assume moves have different effects on different enemies but within those classes the effects of the attacks seem consistent.

The boss fight doesn't always grant you an automatic stun but I think going into blade mode immediately following a successful parry might allow you to hit him. Regardless, you can't simply turtle and win and the game requires a proactive aggressiveness that seems to sit at the thematic core of Platinum's software.

Yeah I know the full game will handle it better. I just feel this is a poor demo, why not allow hard mode to be unlocked? Why not teach more mechanics?
#78 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

Yeah I know the full game will handle it better. I just feel this is a poor demo, why not allow hard mode to be unlocked? Why not teach more mechanics?

A demo is supposed to only give you a taste of things to come, not reveal the whole thing instantly. That being said, I do agree in the sense that the mechanics of the game should have been explained a bit better, instead of just leaving you hanging.

#79 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Metamania

A demo is supposed to only give you a taste of things to come, not reveal the whole thing instantly. That being said, I do agree in the sense that the mechanics of the game should have been explained a bit better, instead of just leaving you hanging.

I think we can all agree the demo doesn't explain much.

I still absolutely loved it once I got the hang of the mechanics.

#80 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Nevermind what I said. This is proof this is the game of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IplIP70zynM

:lol:

#81 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

dvader654

LMAO

#82 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

dvader654

51Sliu4W79L._SL500_AA300_.jpg250px-Beyond_Two_Souls_cover.png

Nah

#83 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I tried the demo and was mostly blown away by the quality. Anyone know the frame-rate here? It feels like 60FPS -- just rediculous, hardcore, crisp action at it's best. The biggest problem with the demo is that it didn't explain jack-sh!t, which is both ballsy and stupid by Platinum to release it that way -- it's bound to alienate a lot of people. I died 3 times on the dog-boss (and many times before) because I couldn't figure out how to parry or deal with enemy attacks at all. I had to Google it. Apparently, you just press the left analog stick INWARD (or L3) and press the light attack button RIGHT as the enemy attacks. It worked for me, but it definitely requires timing and anticipation. I love the slicing mechanic. I was able to cut enemy projectiles in half during it, so it can also be used defensively. Sure, the backgrounds are a bit plain, but overall the game looks excellent.

I got that "holy s***" feeling during a few intense sequences that I haven't gotten in an action game in years. One of them was when I chopped a guy into 47 pieces and grabbed his spine from the remains. Definitely looking forward to the full release, I'm getting this day-1 for sure.

#84 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

dvader654

Mexican Raiden FTW.

Seriously though, I've noticed you've been really negative about alot of games lately, Dvader. Not how I remember you being in the past.

Mind you, I'm not talking sh!t, and you are free to your opinion, but it's just an observation.

#85 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Black_Knight_00

51Sliu4W79L._SL500_AA300_.jpg250px-Beyond_Two_Souls_cover.png

Nah

Will either of those characters dress up like a mexican and battle robots? NO.
#86 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Jbul

Mexican Raiden FTW.

Seriously though, I've noticed you've been really negative about alot of games lately, Dvader. Not how I remember you being in the past.

Mind you, I'm not talking sh!t, and you are free to your opinion, but it's just an observation.

Nintendo let him down hard with the Wii U.

#87 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Will either of those characters dress up like a mexican and battle robots? NO.dvader654

Exactly.

That was hilarious.... and kinda badass at the same time.

#88 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Jbul

Mexican Raiden FTW.

Its this damn never ending generation. I have played everything already, its all just the same thing at this point. I play games and I see pieces of a bunch of other games stitched together. Not to mention my favorite franchises have been almost non existent, one console MGS game in 7 years. One Zelda game in 6 years, and it turned out to be the worst of the 3D Zeldas (still an excellent game). Do I even have to mention RE?
#89 Posted by Archangel3371 (15642 posts) -

dvader654
:lol: That's awesome. So can't wait for this game.
#90 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Will either of those characters dress up like a mexican and battle robots? NO.S0lidSnake

Exactly.

That was hilarious.... and kinda badass at the same time.

Oh I didn't watch that far. Wow, it's like this game is trying to offend every nationality that there is! Just kidding.
#91 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
So what are the chances that Solid Snake is in this game? Assuming he didn't die yet. I think he will pop up at some point.
#92 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

I think the odds of Solid Snake showing up in person are null. He had like at most a year to live in the end of MGS4, and MGR takes place 4 years after the fall of the Patriots.

Sunny is going to be in the game, so we might see Otacon.

#93 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I think the odds of Solid Snake showing up in person are null. He had like at most a year to live in the end of MGS4, and MGR takes place 4 years after the fall of the Patriots.

Sunny is going to be in the game, so we might see Otacon.

SirWander
That would kind of of suck if they are just like "too bad Snake died 3 years ago, he could have helped."
#94 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1595 posts) -

I couldn't get into it. I really wanted to but I couldnt grip it.

#95 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -

dvader654
That bandido costume looks pretty badass. The cardboard box stopped being awesome after Metal Gear Solid.
#96 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6019 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

dvader654

Mexican Raiden FTW.

Its this damn never ending generation. I have played everything already, its all just the same thing at this point. I play games and I see pieces of a bunch of other games stitched together. Not to mention my favorite franchises have been almost non existent, one console MGS game in 7 years. One Zelda game in 6 years, and it turned out to be the worst of the 3D Zeldas (still an excellent game). Do I even have to mention RE?

Zelda's always had huge amounts of time between entries, and often has been capped at one title per generation. Zelda and Zelda2 were one year then the next, sure, but then four years to ALttP, seven years to OoT, 2 to MM, 2 more to WW, four to TP, and 5 to SS. I would go so far as to to say excepting Majora's Mask as a side story built mostly from existing assets, you're right on par at four to six years between entries. Would you rather see Zelda become a yearly release?
#97 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

OMG! MGR is freaking awesome. First of all, the cutscenes. KojiPro is back! No one does cutscenes like they do. They're so styIish and badass, it made me forget about any existing bias I had towards this game. Then it just won me over with some awesome dialogue. The little banter b/w Riaden and the cyborg wolf has more character than any game I've played last year (Except maybe Mass Effect 3). And the graphics, wow. If next gen games looked as good as the prerendered cutscenes in MGR, I'd be happy man.

Now the gameplay, I had a blast with the final boss fight because he was easier to parry then the rest of the guys. Gekkos especially are tough to fight since there is no dodge move, but I think it works to make the game more fun to play as a pure offense styIe action game. I didnt get a single nano-spinal cord, but the slash mechanic is cooler than I expected.

Platinum Games gameplay + KojiPro cutscenes (under Platinum Games direction) = Match Made in Heaven.

Where do I preorder?

#98 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I really liked the demo. It was definitely different than other hack n slash titles and that's something sorely missing from the genre this entire generation outside of Bayonetta.

As much as I loved DMC4, Ninja Gaiden 2, and God of War 3, those games were essentially nothing but a little prettier and more refined versions of their last generation predecessors. Other games such as Dante's Inferno and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow just took God of War's formula and didn't really add much of their own.

Then last year we had the atrocious Ninja Gaiden 3. Luckily the new DMC turned out to be a fresh title and now with MGR trying new things and GoW adding in a surprisingly not sucky multiplayer, and with Bayo 2 on the way it appears that hack n slash games are finally making a comeback.

#99 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
I am a super badass at this now. Its pretty damn cool.
#100 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I am a super badass at this now. Its pretty damn cool.dvader654
Glad you're finally seeing the light. This game is looking amazing.