MGR Revengence Demo Impressions Thread

• 121 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

I'm surprised that no one has spoken up about the demo that was released, so I figured to start a thread about it here.

I played through it for the first time. Black_Knight was telling me earlier that it felt like a PSOne game to him, but when I played it, it looked decent enough to the point of where it was playable.

And that's the important part of the demo; the gameplay. I like to indulge myself in some hack-n-slash when I can and this is pretty cool, I have to admit. You can use your basic button combos to get the job done, but when you down the left trigger on the 360 controller (not sure what it is on the PS3), you'll go into what's called Blade Mode, where time slows down completely and you are able to freely slice and dice up your foes in anyway you see fit. So far, I've managed to get up to a 68-hit combo against the cyborg dog that you fight as the boss of the demo (wondering if there's an achievement/trophy for that?). What sucks, however, is the defense options you have. You can run around your opponents and apparently parry, but the demo doesn't explain it enough on how to parry or what kind of defensive manuevers you are given. Not even the freaking tutorial tells you at all; in fact, you are only given the game's basic instructions on the Blade Mode.

Also, after you are finished with each battle conflict, you'll be scored and ranked on how well you performed. The better you do at killing and surviving with a higher rate of energy, the better. Speaking of energy, in order to gain back energy, you'll need to finish off your opponents by pressing the B button when prompted. That happens once you hurt them enough to the point of where they can no longer fight back, so if you are low on energy, go for it!

There are elements of stealth, as you would expect from a Metal Gear game. In the demo, there's an ability called Augment mode (Konami's Detective Mode, if you will), where you can scan your surroundings and see who is or is not the bad guys and use the surroundings to your advantage. I tried to sneak by without being spotted, but that didn't happen, so I was forced to fight a couple of soldiers and two robots at one point. I wonder if there's an achievement/trophy for that too? Finally, I saw a Japanese symbol at the end of the boss fight, as Raiden was destroying the robot, but again, the demo doesn't tell you what to do and makes you try to figure it out as well.

Bottom line; it's a playable demo and it shows what the game will be like in the future, but I'm not entirely sure if it will grab Metal Gear fans or even hack-n-slash fans to the point of where a $60 purchase is justified.

For those who have played it, any thoughts?

#2 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
Have yet to try it because PSN doesn't put their demos up until late in the evening here.
#3 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
Grammaton has a thread on this demo from the ZOE HD collection. I have played the PS3 demo and like you mentioned it explains very little. It is platinum games so I have no worries but I dont think the demo did a good job showing the game.
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -

I know you guys will LOVE MGR:R and hate me for saying this, but I don't care: whenever Platinum makes a game, I can always rest assured that I'll hate it, regardless of how hard I try to like it and this demo is no exception.

The cutting mechanic the game is supposed to be based on, while technically impressive when used on enemies, feels like a pointless gimmick, plus you can only cut one object in ten or less: one lamp post can be cut, the next can't, one wall can be broken, the next can't. There's no physics engine: a tree sliced into a million pieces will still stand, the bits like glued together. A huge billboard resting on three supports won't even flinch until the last of these is cut, after which it will crash down all of a sudden and just disappear. Slicing the pillar of a bridge causes the pillar to remain intact but the upper part of the bridge to shatter without being touched. Trying to cut a bus results into it just disappearing. If you cut a car, its windows and even the tires will just be cut in half, without the glass shattering or the tire deflating. This barely qualifies as a physics engine at all.

Action sequences are basically a generic Bayonetta clone, only even worse: dodging is needlessly difficult and blocking doesn't seem to work, despite the constant tutorial message telling you to use the attack button to block (beats me). I'll give it another try to see if I can get the hang of it, but it's counter intuitive as they get. The camera is too close, making fights against multiple enemies a mess and it gets even closer when trying to cut something. You can just bypass fights anyway, just find the path enemies don't look at and get to the end of the level.

The game is racist and full of stereotypes too (again: Platinum Games never cease to amaze me): black guy with rasta hair "Dayum Raiden, that cold!" Russian guys "Tovarisch, I love capitalismus! Proceed to door!", blonde american chick that's in every japanese game...

Raiden must be really fat, because he can only jump like 2 feet in the air and he can't climb, meaning you'll have to walk around to some stairs everytime you miss a jump. He also looks like he's wearing women's shoes, which looks ridiculous.

One good thing: cutscenes are really, really cool. Too bad you have to sit through the gameplay to get to them.

Oh and the game's title is still made of stupid: Revengeance? Seriously?

#5 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Here are my original impressions from the thread I made a few weeks back:

The demo, included with the Zone of the Enders HD collection, has been in my XBOX periodically over the last two months and I've probably played it a good 20 times or more. That I would continue to play a demo when so many quality games, complete and unopened, remain on my shelf is a testament to how incredibly impressed I continue to be with this game.

Normally, when a game suffers from a protracted development cycle and gets moved to another studio, this doesn't bode well for the final product. Fortunately, the studio in question is Platinum Games, who have released titles such as Mad World, Vanquish, Bayonetta and the upcoming Anarchy Reigns.

They have proven themselves a studio with an intractable pedigree for making legitimately gorgeous and technically proficient action games and I do believe Metal Gear Rising (Revengeance) might very well be their magnum opus.

The demo is brief and opens (unsurprisingly for a Metal Gear title) with a cut scene. After this you find yourself on the shore of a beach, heading towards a large structure. You can opt to slice and dice just about everything in your environment and the cutting is dynamic and precise. Shortly thereafter you are attacked by three sword-wielding goons in high-tech garb and you have an opportunity to unleash a barrage of attacks and test the proverbial waters in terms of combat.

At first the combat seems loose; chaotic and disconnected. The enemies are aggressive and knock you down if you stand idle. Yet, as you get your bearings, the chaos becomes something far more malleable and manageable. You unleash a combo and then, with the left trigger, enter free slicing mode, which gives you a precise horizontal and vertical plane with which to cut from all angles in slow motion, dicing your enemy any way you see fit and stealing a few of their glowing spinal columns for energy replenishment.

As you progress you endure encounters with larger enemies, all of whom can seem overwhelming and deliver devastating attacks yet can also be felled by the clever manipulation of extensive combos, evasion, parrying and free slice mode. It is a deft, almost transcendent combat experience that rewards skill and the manipulation of the deeper nuances of the game mechanics while punishing button mashing and brutish tactics. In many ways this game is looking to be the true successor to the Ninja Gaiden legacy so woefully fumbled by NG3.

Visually, the backgrounds are a bit drab, no doubt for the sake of maintaining a solid frame rate, but Raiden himself is gorgeously rendered in high detail, looking as good if not better than the character models seen in MGS4. Enemies likewise look fantastic but even more impressive are the environmental dynamics which allow practically anything to be sliced with razor-like precision. At one point in the demo I leaped down from a structure and proceeded to run along the base, slicing the support columns and causing the enemies to tumble to the ground as it collapsed.

The demo also includes a boss battle and even on Normal difficulty this boss will shred you to pieces in moments if you don't approach the fight methodically and with an understanding of how to play. From the outset it seems clear that MGR is going to offer those who seek it a legitimate challenge on par with their previous games.

A public demo will be forthcoming soon and the full retail version hits in February so Im curious to see what the broader reception of this game will be.

As of right now, Metal Gear Rising is my most anticipated title of 2013 and what I find truly amusing is that Raiden, easily one of the most maligned characters in video gaming history, may very well emerge from this endeavor a fully-fledged and widely-loved badass.

#6 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

I already preordered the $150 edition hehe. This is what Ninja Gaiden 2 should have been this generation :P

#7 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I know you guys will LOVE MGR:R and hate me for saying this, but I don't care: whenever Platinum makes a game, I can always rest assured that I'll hate it, regardless of how hard I try to like it and this demo is no exception.

The cutting mechanic the game is supposed to be based on, while technically impressive when used on enemies, feels like a pointless gimmick, plus you can only cut one object in ten or less: one lamp post can be cut, the next can't, one wall can be broken, the next can't. There's no physics engine: a tree sliced into a million pieces will still stand, the bits like glued together. A huge billboard resting on three supports won't even flinch until the last of these is cut, after which it will crash down all of a sudden and just disappear. Slicing the pillar of a bridge causes the pillar to remain intact but the upper part of the bridge to shatter without being touched. Trying to cut a bus results into it just disappearing. If you cut a car, its windows and even the tires will just be cut in half, without the glass shattering or the tire deflating. This barely qualifies as a physics engine at all.

Action sequences are basically a generic Bayonetta clone, only even worse: dodging is needlessly difficult and blocking doesn't seem to work, despite the constant tutorial message telling you to use the attack button to block (beats me). I'll give it another try to see if I can get the hang of it, but it's counter intuitive as they get. The camera is too close, making fights against multiple enemies a mess and it gets even closer when trying to cut something. You can just bypass fights anyway, just find the path enemies don't look at and get to the end of the level.

The game is racist and full of stereotypes too (again: Platinum Games never cease to amaze me): black guy with rasta hair "Dayum Raiden, that cold!" Russian guys "Tovarisch, I love capitalismus! Proceed to door!", blonde american chick that's in every japanese game...

Raiden must be really fat, because he can only jump like 2 feet in the air and he can't climb, meaning you'll have to walk around to some stairs everytime you miss a jump. He also looks like he's wearing women's shoes, which looks ridiculous.

One good thing: cutscenes are really, really cool. Too bad you have to sit through the gameplay to get to them.

Oh and the game's title is still made of stupid: Revengeance? Seriously?

Black_Knight_00

Your critique is factually incorrect about a number of things.

Most of the scenery present in the game, at least based on that demo build, can be sliced or hacked. Some things cannot be cut but it isn't nearly as arbitrary as you claim.

This game plays nothing like Bayonetta and has more in common with something like Ninja Gaiden. Truth be told, I'm not even sure how you could refer to this game as a generic Bayonetta clone given the fact that Bayonetta was a relatively bizarre game in terms of design and aesthetic to begin with. Regardless, the two games are flatly dissimilar.

Blocking works just fine but requires timing. Once I got the hang of it, blocking and parrying became easy and can be used to inflict punishing counter attacks on advancing enemies.

Raiden can climb just fine. By using the run button you can traverse all manner of obstacles with blazing, fluid movement. (Did you even play this demo?)

On a more subjective note, calling this game racist is mind-numbingly silly. The game traffics in some well-trodden tropes, which is a far cry from racism. (FYI, a Russian with a Russian accent isn't actually racism and a blonde American chick doesn't really qualify either)

Calling the free slice mode a gimmick merely reveals how little you bothered to explore the actual mechanics, as that so-called gimmick actually opens up copious opportunities and techniques in the gameplay. It's essentially bullet-time for swords and that is something pretty damn unique and innovative within the genre.

Complaining about the physics or the lack of realism in the slicing mechanics strikes me as specious and disingenuous. Clearly this isn't a game striving for absolute reality and while the slicing may not be realistic it is extensive and unlike anything else out there and it can also the player to hack up the environment to damage and displace enemies.

With all respect, I think your analysis of this demo is vapid and far too myopic to be taken seriously.

#8 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -

Your critique is factually incorrect about a number of things. Most of the scenery present in the game, at least based on that demo build, can be sliced or hacked. Some things cannot be cut but it isn't nearly as arbitrary as you claim. This game plays nothing like Bayonetta and has more in common with something like Ninja Gaiden. Truth be told, I'm not even sure how you could refer to this game as a generic Bayonetta clone given the fact that Bayonetta was a relatively bizarre game in terms of design and aesthetic to begin with. Regardless, the two games are flatly dissimilar. Blocking works just fine but requires timing. Once I got the hang of it, blocking and parrying became easy and can be used to inflict punishing counter attacks on advancing enemies. Raiden can climb just fine. By using the run button you can traverse all manner of obstacles with blazing, fluid movement. (Did you even play this demo?) On a more subjective note, calling this game racist is mind-numbingly silly. The game traffics in some well-trodden tropes, which is a far cry from racism. (FYI, a Russian with a Russian accent isn't actually racism and a blonde American chick doesn't really qualify either) Calling the free slice mode a gimmick merely reveals how little you bothered to explore the actual mechanics, as that so-called gimmick actually opens up copious opportunities and techniques in the gameplay. It's essentially bullet-time for swords and that is something pretty damn unique and innovative within the genre. Complaining about the physics or the lack of realism in the slicing mechanics strikes me as specious and disingenuous. Clearly this isn't a game striving for absolute reality and while the slicing may not be realistic it is extensive and unlike anything else out there and it can also the player to hack up the environment to damage and displace enemies. With all respect, I think your analysis of this demo is vapid and far too myopic to be taken seriously.Grammaton-Cleric
I mentioned stereotypical alongside with racist and I trust you are able to discern which elements are which. While we're at it, the italian guy in Bayonetta offends me on so many levels, jersey shore-style: the japanese have no grasp on any nationality outside their own, including americans and russians.

As for Bayonetta-clone, you can't sell me the idea you actually believed that I was talking about the art style. Either that or in your rush to reply you missed the fact I was clearly referring to the gameplay: it's fast it's frantic, it even shares some of the same moves (sticking weapons to feet). Thinking I was referring to the art style is preposterous.

I'm not complaining about the lack of realism: I'm saying it looks f*cking ugly when the pieces of a tree stick together instead of scattering to the ground because developers were too lazy to implement a physics engine in a game that nothing short of *demands* it, considering its core mechanic.

As for the scenery, try deliberately cutting random things: you'll be surprised by how many are non interactive.

Also, I outright admitted I haven't played this much yet and that I mean to go back to it. To that end, I would be much obliged if you could tell how the heck to block and climb, since the game neglects to.

#9 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

Grammaton has a thread on this demo from the ZOE HD collection. I have played the PS3 demo and like you mentioned it explains very little. It is platinum games so I have no worries but I dont think the demo did a good job showing the game.dvader654

I have no worries either, since they made Vanquish (which was a great game in its own right), but the truth is, I'm just not sure if it will do well enough to strike a chord with the MGS fanbase or even hack-n-slash, since the demo did a terrible job in not helping you as much. So, as for right now, the demo leaves a bad impression.

#10 Posted by Business_Fun (2281 posts) -

I thought it was excellent. Between this and DmC it looks like the first two months of 2013 will be good ones for fans of hot steel hissing through yielding flesh.

#11 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

I mentioned stereotypical alongside with racist and I trust you are able to discern which elements are which. While we're at it, the italian guy in Bayonetta offends me on so many levels, jersey shore-style: the japanese have no grasp on any nationality outside their own, including americans and russians.

As for Bayonetta-clone, you can't sell me the idea you actually believed that I was talking about the art style. Either that or in your rush to reply you missed the fact I was clearly referring to the gameplay: it's fast it's frantic, it even shares some of the same moves (sticking weapons to feet). Thinking I was referring to the art style is preposterous.

I'm not complaining about the lack of realism: I'm saying it looks f*cking ugly when the pieces of a tree stick together instead of scattering to the ground because developers were too lazy to implement a physics engine in a game that nothing short of *demands* it, considering its core mechanic.

As for the scenery, try deliberately cutting random things: you'll be surprised by how many are non interactive.

Also, I outright admitted I haven't played this much yet and that I mean to go back to it. To that end, I would be much obliged if you could tell how the heck to block and climb, since the game neglects to.

Black_Knight_00

I didn't find the characters to be particularly stereotypical either, especially given the brevity of the demo. Ironically, your comment about the inability of Japanese developers to properly emulate and convey any ethnicity other than their own strikes me as more offensive than anything you purport this game contains.

And it doesn't really matter what aspects of Bayonetta you were referring to because this game is nothing like it, either mechanically nor aesthetically. In either case, calling this game a generic clone of Bayonetta struck me as ridiculous as they have next to nothing in common save the developer.

Also, your continued bemoaning of the lack of physics in this game is odd. The logistics of implementing such an extensive slicing mechanic while maintaining 60fps is clearly taxing this hardware to the extreme so I'm not entirely sure why realistic physics is some sort of deal-breaker given than every other game in this genre has similar physics. Also bear in mind that structures tumble under the weight of their own instability when sliced so clearly, there is a physics system in place. Regardless, calling any aspect of this game "lazy" is hyperbolic nonsense.

Push the X (attack) and forward to parry; it works quite well.

#12 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Grammaton has a thread on this demo from the ZOE HD collection. I have played the PS3 demo and like you mentioned it explains very little. It is platinum games so I have no worries but I dont think the demo did a good job showing the game.Metamania

I have no worries either, since they made Vanquish (which was a great game in its own right), but the truth is, I'm just not sure if it will do well enough to strike a chord with the MGS fanbase or even hack-n-slash, since the demo did a terrible job in not helping you as much. So, as for right now, the demo leaves a bad impression.

The demo prompted me to posit that it might be one of the best action games of this generation but it also requires people to spend some time and mine its depths.

#13 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

It's pretty good.

The gameplay is just what you'd expect from video game developers Platinum Games: It's hectic, fast paced, and smooth. I was pretty impressed with how challenging it could be. This isn't your typical hack and slash, the game punishes you for merely relying on random button presses and reckless use of "Blade Mode."

But before I go any further, the trivialities i.e. the tutorial (note I played the PS3 version of the demo): First things first, Blade Mode the most interesting and the funnest thing about this game. You enter Blade Mode by pressing L1 and attack with the right stick (which reminded of how swordplay was implemented in MGS2, whether intentional or not it invoked a nice feeling of nostalgia) you can also aim your strikes. Slicing things in the tutorial, like melons and cars, can surprisingly suck up a lot of your time. Seeing how many times you can slice an object, and the freedom it gives to slice at will can be it's own fun. The tutorial also highlights how practical it can be, you can slice an enemy while leaving the hostage unharmed. The square and triangle buttons are used for attacking and the X button is used for jumping while the O is reserved for contextual inputs. The left stick is for movement (which should go without saying).

The demo starts you off with a summary of the events that took place before Raiden's current mission, and a nice cutscene introducing you to his support team (all of whom you can talk to on the codec) after landing on a beach the game starts. Going up from where you landed enters you in combat with three machete wielding cyborgs, and it's also at this time that the demo introduces you to the parry mechanic. You parry (which leads Raiden to do one of two things I assume, either block or dash) by moving the left stick and pressing the square button, the timing doesn't have to be that precise to activate but it's contextual. What do I mean by that? Raiden won't do a parry unless he's being attacked, it's a mechanic that awards attentiveness instead of just being regaled to a simple button press that can be easily spammed. fighting them can be a lot of fun, that is if you're being tactical. Simply using blade mode can give them a chance to evade the attack and leaves you open, there's also a bar that depletes when using it (obviously to discourage players from being reckless with it). And simply button mashing will leave you with a not so favorable battle rating. But using attacks and blade mode in concert can lead to marvelous results. Doing a combo and then entering blade mode to go for the kill (make sure to aim for the red box to get the goodies) offers such a visceral impact, that it never gets tired, and I played the demo three times in a row. For tougher enemies I assume such simple tactics won't be so effective, if the encounter with the Gekko is any indication. The Gekkos have to be weakened before blade mode can be effective. It's easy to underestimate it, it also packs a mean punch, and when you're being attacked by nondescript cyborgs it can lead to a good challenge.

The demo also offers an opportunity for a stealth kill, in which the O button comes in handy. Pressing it not only shows off an impressive animation (especially if you're above the target) it also gives a tactical advantage. There are subweapons you can use, like grenades, by equipping it and pressing R2 and firing with R1, and regenerative items. There's also augment mode, it's pretty useful as it also shows the locations of items as well as enemies.

The boss fight with Blade Wolf does something that every good boss encounter should do: test your skills. Since this is pretty early in the game, Blade Wolf telegraphs it's punches (as do the Geckos), but that didn't stop it from giving me a good beating the first time around. I won't lie; the parry does have a learning curve, but when it clicks it feels like second nature. So when Blade Wolf attacks and you parry at the right moment to leave it open for the attack, it gives a very rewarding feeling. Between the fight Blade Wolf takes a brake and summons three cyborgs, and then another when it summons a Gekko. Defeating Blade Wolf ends the demo.

Even after three playthroughs of the demo, I get the feeling that I just barely scratched the surface to the combat. It's fun, challenging, and rewarding. Also the voice acting is pretty damn good, did anyone else think that Kevin's vampire joke was a reference to the fact that Phil Lamarr was also the voice actor for Vamp? The visuals don't seem to be as sharp as MGS4, but the character animations are just as good if not better than what was displayed in that game.

After playing the demo, I have to say it's what I hoped it to be. Also Raiden has been my favorite character since he was introduced into the series, so experiencing this game firsthand has made me very giddy.

#14 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

The demo on the Zone of The Enders HD Collection made me from absolutely not being interested in it to absolutely wanting and buying it when it comes out :)

#15 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I didn't find the characters to be particularly stereotypical either, especially given the brevity of the demo. Ironically, your comment about the inability of Japanese developers to properly emulate and convey any ethnicity other than their own strikes me as more offensive than anything you purport this game contains. And it doesn't really matter what aspects of Bayonetta you were referring to because this game is nothing like it, either mechanically nor aesthetically. In either case, calling this game a generic clone of Bayonetta struck me as ridiculous as they have next to nothing in common save the developer. Also, your continued bemoaning of the lack of physics in this game is odd. The logistics of implementing such an extensive slicing mechanic while maintaining 60fps is clearly taxing this hardware to the extreme so I'm not entirely sure why realistic physics is some sort of deal-breaker given than every other game in this genre has similar physics. Also bear in mind that structures tumble under the weight of their own instability when sliced so clearly, there is a physics system in place. Regardless, calling any aspect of this game "lazy" is hyperbolic nonsense. Push the X (attack) and forward to parry; it works quite well.

You say my assertion is racist, but provide no argument to disprove it, I'm still not sure if you actually disagree with it. Structures tumble, but not in a predictable and satisfying way. I'll explain: in Red Faction Guerrilla you can control the demolition of a building by sestroying key structural points, and it's satisfying to see things crumble the way you intended them to. Anticipating your rebuttal: it's ovbvious that MGR doesn't start from the same premise or pretense as Red Faction, but why allow players to alter the scenery if the results are disappointing compared to industry standards? Why go for 60fps if the cost is sacrificing suspension of disbelief?
#16 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I didn't find the characters to be particularly stereotypical either, especially given the brevity of the demo. Ironically, your comment about the inability of Japanese developers to properly emulate and convey any ethnicity other than their own strikes me as more offensive than anything you purport this game contains. And it doesn't really matter what aspects of Bayonetta you were referring to because this game is nothing like it, either mechanically nor aesthetically. In either case, calling this game a generic clone of Bayonetta struck me as ridiculous as they have next to nothing in common save the developer. Also, your continued bemoaning of the lack of physics in this game is odd. The logistics of implementing such an extensive slicing mechanic while maintaining 60fps is clearly taxing this hardware to the extreme so I'm not entirely sure why realistic physics is some sort of deal-breaker given than every other game in this genre has similar physics. Also bear in mind that structures tumble under the weight of their own instability when sliced so clearly, there is a physics system in place. Regardless, calling any aspect of this game "lazy" is hyperbolic nonsense. Push the X (attack) and forward to parry; it works quite well.Black_Knight_00
You say my assertion is racist, but provide no argument to disprove it, I'm still not sure if you actually disagree with it. Structures tumble, but not in a predictable and satisfying way. I'll explain: in Red Faction Guerrilla you can control the demolition of a building by sestroying key structural points, and it's satisfying to see things crumble the way you intended them to. Anticipating your rebuttal: it's ovbvious that MGR doesn't start from the same premise or pretense as Red Faction, but why allow players to alter the scenery if the results are disappointing compared to industry standards? Why go for 60fps if the cost is sacrificing suspension of disbelief?

I didn't claim your assertion was racist; that little inflammatory word is all yours and you toss it around haphazardly and with little regard to the deeper implications as to what that type of accusation actually means. I didn't find your comment racist but rather just mind-numbingly offensive as a crass and unsubstantiated generalization.

And comparing this game to something like Red Faction is pointless. Red Faction is predicated on destruction and that game is a dedicated shooter. MGSR is a hack n' slash game that happens to allow for copious collateral destruction.

And there is no "industry standard." That slicing and dicing is mostly cosmetic as the meat of this game is the combat.

Your derision is superficial and a tad mystifying given that you clearly have no affinity for this genre or the developer.

#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
I didn't claim your assertion was racist; that little inflammatory word is all yours and you toss it around haphazardly and with little regard to the deeper implications as to what that type of accusation actually means. I didn't find your comment racist but rather just mind-numbingly offensive as a crass and unsubstantiated generalization.Grammaton-Cleric
So you're saying the japanese gaming industry does not misrepresent and stereotype foreigners.
#18 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -
Okay, I've just finished my first time through. Full disclosure: I love melee action games. Whether they're hack 'n' slash, Action RPGs or Arkham-style beat em ups, I love 'em. That being said, this seems like a great game, but it's lousy as a demo. First of all, it tells you absolutely nothing about ninja running(RT) and the AR vision(d-pad up) barely rates a brief mention halfway through the demo level. I never did figure out how to use the hand frags I found, either, but that wasn't such a big deal, as the sword play can be extremely satisfying. About Black Knight's complaint regarding the arbitrary nature of the dynamic objects, it seems to me that that is a failing of the demo build. In AR vision, things like telephone poles are highlighted the same way as cars and other dynamic objects, but I was unable to cut them down. To me it isn't much of an issue, but to others, who knows? The gameplay appears to be a cross between your average hack and slash mayhem(God of War/Lords of Shadow) and the more calculated melee attacking of Dead Island's analog combat mode. Combining the two styles takes getting used to, especially since some of the markers denoting when you can pull a blade mode finisher aren't shockingly visible during combat. Another response to Black Knight's complaints: the characters- Frankly, I think that the black dude(Kev, was it?) was remarkably well-represented. From your general outcry, I was expect something like "Yo, Raiden! Mah n***a!" But it was nothing like that. Raiden came off with some epic emo poetry and he was just like, "that's a bit cold. Even for you." The German doctor was interesting, too. And aside from missing an article or two, the Russian never came off as stereotypical either. All in all, I disagree with your every claim of racist stereo typing. My final word on the matter? Great. Maybe even excellent once I get my hands on the final product. Just one last question- the little mini-rexes? I'm sure the must be the Gekkos people keep mentioning- they are utterly unintimidating when their "fearsome" battle cry is that of a cow. Seriously? This thing is trying to scare me with a bone-chilling... Moo?
#19 Posted by _Dez_ (2398 posts) -

I quite liked the demo, but it's clear there's a lot more to learn then what's given to you. It felt a little awkward coming to grips with the controls, but the parry/block move felt second nature by the time the demo boss made its appearance. I was effortlessly blocking everything that was thrown at me, and it really was easy once you realize that you can only perform the move when enemies telegraph their attacks with an orange flash. No doubt the timing window will probably get shorter the further you go in, but it wasn't too bad. Having no dodge move, though, feels really at odds with what I'm used to with action games of Platinum's caliber.

Things feel a little different, but everything controls pretty well. It would be nice to have a move list, as you can do a lot of different attacks based on timing presses and directional input. It all flows together very well.

I plan to go through the demo a few more times to get more familiar with the combat intricacies, but I'm certainly getting this the day it comes out. Very excited for this title, and with it's combined collaborative efforts with Kojima studios, I might actually be interested in a story from Platinum games too! Who knew?

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
Another response to Black Knight's complaints: the characters- Frankly, I think that the black dude(Kev, was it?) was remarkably well-represented. From your general outcry, I was expect something like "Yo, Raiden! Mah n***a!" But it was nothing like that. Raiden came off with some epic emo poetry and he was just like, "that's a bit cold. Even for you." The German doctor was interesting, too. And aside from missing an article or two, the Russian never came off as stereotypical either. All in all, I disagree with your every claim of racist stereo typing.El_Zo1212o
All the characters come off as generic looking and sounding to me.
#21 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Another response to Black Knight's complaints: the characters- Frankly, I think that the black dude(Kev, was it?) was remarkably well-represented. From your general outcry, I was expect something like "Yo, Raiden! Mah n***a!" But it was nothing like that. Raiden came off with some epic emo poetry and he was just like, "that's a bit cold. Even for you." The German doctor was interesting, too. And aside from missing an article or two, the Russian never came off as stereotypical either. All in all, I disagree with your every claim of racist stereo typing.Black_Knight_00

If the Americans come off sounding generic, rather than like caricatures it flies right in the face of your claim about the Japanese not understanding any ethnicity but their own. Oh, and the Doktor was clearly German, not Russian, and at no point in the demo did the black guy say "dayum"
#22 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Another response to Black Knight's complaints: the characters- Frankly, I think that the black dude(Kev, was it?) was remarkably well-represented. From your general outcry, I was expect something like "Yo, Raiden! Mah n***a!" But it was nothing like that. Raiden came off with some epic emo poetry and he was just like, "that's a bit cold. Even for you." The German doctor was interesting, too. And aside from missing an article or two, the Russian never came off as stereotypical either. All in all, I disagree with your every claim of racist stereo typing.El_Zo1212o

If the Americans come off sounding generic, rather than like caricatures it flies right in the face of your claim about the Japanese not understanding any ethnicity but their own. Oh, and the Doktor was clearly German, not Russian, and at no point in the demo did the black guy say "dayum"

That's because they don't, at least as far as their media is concerned.
#23 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I didn't claim your assertion was racist; that little inflammatory word is all yours and you toss it around haphazardly and with little regard to the deeper implications as to what that type of accusation actually means. I didn't find your comment racist but rather just mind-numbingly offensive as a crass and unsubstantiated generalization.Black_Knight_00
So you're saying the japanese gaming industry does not misrepresent and stereotype foreigners.

I'd say the Japanese are no worse or better than Western developers when it comes to conveying other ethnicities.

Historically, this medium has trafficked heavily in tropes on both sides of the ocean and regardless, none of this strikes me as overtly racist.

#24 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] [QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] All the characters come off as generic looking and sounding to me.

Seems they captured them pretty well where this demo is concerned. Like you said, they come off as generic, if it were as bad as you seem to think, they would come off as ridiculous.
#25 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] If the Americans come off sounding generic, rather than like caricatures it flies right in the face of your claim about the Japanese not understanding any ethnicity but their own. Oh, and the Doktor was clearly German, not Russian, and at no point in the demo did the black guy say "dayum"

Seems they captured them pretty well where this demo is concerned. Like you said, they come off as generic, if it were as bad as you seem to think, they would come off as ridiculous.

"Tovarisch, go to door" sounds ridiculous to me
#26 Posted by BranKetra (47861 posts) -
Here are my impressions: Raiden is colder than before and that carries over into the gameplay since he's slicing people up like it's normal for him. The graphics and environments are Platinum Games material and while the character models are good, the environments seem lacking. I understand that many parts of it can be cut apart, but I am still reminded of Tekken 6's story mode environments nonetheless. The combos are good and potentially infinite because a player can keep pushing square or triangle and they will continue forever. The combos are good. That said, the slicing mechanic is interesting. There are many parts of the stage that could be destroyed with a single or ten slices. While interesting, it is not to make up for the lack of a lock on feature in any form besides the cutting and no evade move. Parrying works but no evasion movement like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden leaves the demo lacking. Moving on, the MGR is not all action. There are sneaking segments where groups can be neutralized without becoming aware of Raiden's presence. Those parts are not bad. Overall, this title is fun, but I do not consider it a technical game.
#27 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Here are my impressions: Raiden is colder than before and that carries over into the gameplay since he's slicing people up like it's normal for him. The graphics and environments are Platinum Games material and while the character models are good, the environments seem lacking. I understand that many parts of it can be cut apart, but I am still reminded of Tekken 6's story mode environments nonetheless. The combos are good and potentially infinite because a player can keep pushing square or triangle and they will continue forever. The combos are good. That said, the slicing mechanic is interesting. There are many parts of the stage that could be destroyed with a single or ten slices. While interesting, it is not to make up for the lack of a lock on feature in any form besides the cutting and no evade move. Parrying works but no evasion movement like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden leaves the demo lacking. Moving on, the MGR is not all action. There are sneaking segments where groups can be neutralized without becoming aware of Raiden's presence. Those parts are not bad. Overall, this title is fun, but I do not consider it a technical game.BranKetra

Having played the demo exhaustively I strongly disagree that this game isn't technical. On even the moderate difficulty mashing will get you slaughtered and the parry mechanic is clearly the predominate defensive technique, requiring a level of precision to properly execute.

I define a technical action game as one that, when mined and fully exploited in terms of mechanics, can be played with absolute and total domination by the player even on the higher difficulty settings. Based on what I've played MGSR fits that definition easily.

#28 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

Here's a problem I encountered. When you are in Blade Mode, you have to use the left analog stick to move the camera around so that you can get a good view before slicing up your foes. But even when you don't touch the left analog stick at all and only hold down LT, the camera still moves upwards ALL ON ITS OWN. That's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

#29 Posted by BranKetra (47861 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Here are my impressions: Raiden is colder than before and that carries over into the gameplay since he's slicing people up like it's normal for him. The graphics and environments are Platinum Games material and while the character models are good, the environments seem lacking. I understand that many parts of it can be cut apart, but I am still reminded of Tekken 6's story mode environments nonetheless. The combos are good and potentially infinite because a player can keep pushing square or triangle and they will continue forever. The combos are good. That said, the slicing mechanic is interesting. There are many parts of the stage that could be destroyed with a single or ten slices. While interesting, it is not to make up for the lack of a lock on feature in any form besides the cutting and no evade move. Parrying works but no evasion movement like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden leaves the demo lacking. Moving on, the MGR is not all action. There are sneaking segments where groups can be neutralized without becoming aware of Raiden's presence. Those parts are not bad. Overall, this title is fun, but I do not consider it a technical game.Grammaton-Cleric

Having played the demo exhaustively I strongly disagree that this game isn't technical. On even the moderate difficulty mashing will get you slaughtered and the parry mechanic is clearly the predominate defensive technique, requiring a level of precision to properly execute.

I define a technical action game as one that, when mined and fully exploited in terms of mechanics, can be played with absolute and total domination by the player even on the higher difficulty settings. Based on what I've played MGSR fits that definition easily.

That is the same way I define technical games yet I still think that it is not a technical game. The parry function does require precision, but that is the only form of developed defense in this game. The par is set by excellent franchises such as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. In those games, you can at least evade. The only resemblance to evasion MGR features is running (R1).
#30 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

Here's a problem I encountered. When you are in Blade Mode, you have to use the left analog stick to move the camera around so that you can get a good view before slicing up your foes. But even when you don't touch the left analog stick at all and only hold down LT, the camera still moves upwards ALL ON ITS OWN. That's pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Metamania
No it doesn't. Your controller is getting old and the left stick is drifting upwards.
#31 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] That's because they don't, at least as far as their media is concerned.

Like I said, he misses an article here or there, but it isn't like he's saying "oh nyo, am out of vodka!"
#32 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

No it doesn't. Your controller is getting old and the left stick is drifting upwards.

No, El, this controller that I've been using was bought four-five months ago. Has NOTHING to do with it getting old and the left stick isn't drifting upwards on its own. I'm not touching it at all and it still goes up. The game does that automatically. I've tested it ten times straight and it's not my controller nor it is me; it is a game design problem.

#33 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Seems they captured them pretty well where this demo is concerned. Like you said, they come off as generic, if it were as bad as you seem to think, they would come off as ridiculous.

Like I said, he misses an article here or there, but it isn't like he's saying "oh nyo, am out of vodka!"

There are different stages of ridiculous.
#34 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Here are my impressions: Raiden is colder than before and that carries over into the gameplay since he's slicing people up like it's normal for him. The graphics and environments are Platinum Games material and while the character models are good, the environments seem lacking. I understand that many parts of it can be cut apart, but I am still reminded of Tekken 6's story mode environments nonetheless. The combos are good and potentially infinite because a player can keep pushing square or triangle and they will continue forever. The combos are good. That said, the slicing mechanic is interesting. There are many parts of the stage that could be destroyed with a single or ten slices. While interesting, it is not to make up for the lack of a lock on feature in any form besides the cutting and no evade move. Parrying works but no evasion movement like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden leaves the demo lacking. Moving on, the MGR is not all action. There are sneaking segments where groups can be neutralized without becoming aware of Raiden's presence. Those parts are not bad. Overall, this title is fun, but I do not consider it a technical game.BranKetra

That is the same way I define technical games yet I still think that it is not a technical game. The parry function does require precision, but that is the only form of developed defense in this game. The par is set by excellent franchises such as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden. In those games, you can at least evade. The only resemblance to evasion MGR features is running (R1).

It would seem you actually define technical action by the inclusion of an evasion move.

Incidentally, evasion is possible and can be facilitated by jumping and also by utilizing the run button, which actually enjoys broad functionality. Raiden is quite agile and exceedingly fleet of foot so I haven't found evasion all that difficult, even without a dedicated dodge technique.

And while I agree that both NG and DMC are benchmarks for the genre, that doesn't mean I subscribe to the notion that every other action game must adhere to their respective designs. Once I understood and implemented parrying, it was as effective as an evade maneuver and it also opens up plenty of offensive options when used effectively.

#35 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] "Tovarisch, go to door" sounds ridiculous to meBlack_Knight_00

True, and we reached the apex of ridiculousness debating the merits of voice actors in a dedicated action game.

#36 Posted by gameboy343 (1024 posts) -

it was entertaining, not a day one purchase. more like a wait for price drop purchase for me personally.

#37 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

No, El, this controller that I've been using was bought four-five months ago. Has NOTHING to do with it getting old and the left stick isn't drifting upwards on its own. I'm not touching it at all and it still goes up. The game does that automatically. I've tested it ten times straight and it's not my controller nor it is me; it is a game design problem.

I haven't experienced that problem at all.

Just being honest.

#38 Posted by BranKetra (47861 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Grammaton-Cleric

It would seem you actually define technical action by the inclusion of an evasion move.

Incidentally, evasion is possible and can be facilitated by jumping and also by utilizing the run button, which actually enjoys broad functionality. Raiden is quite agile and exceedingly fleet of foot so I haven't found evasion all that difficult, even without a dedicated dodge technique.

And while I agree that both NG and DMC are benchmarks for the genre, that doesn't mean I subscribe to the notion that every other action game must adhere to their respective designs. Once I understood and implemented parrying, it was as effective as an evade maneuver and it also opens up plenty of offensive options when used effectively.

In a sense, you could say that and it be true since I described it as such. Action games don't need block or evasion abilities, but for games like this one, they are a good thing. I like the game, but in my opinion it can be even better if they put in a lock on feature in some shape or form excluding the apparently basic one that shows up during the slicing mode.
#39 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Like I said, he misses an article here or there, but it isn't like he's saying "oh nyo, am out of vodka!"Grammaton-Cleric

True, and we reached the apex of ridiculousness debating the merits of voice actors in a dedicated action game.

You may not care about voice acting and characterisation in an action game. You may not care about details in general. But I do.
#40 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6005 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Like I said, he misses an article here or there, but it isn't like he's saying "oh nyo, am out of vodka!"Grammaton-Cleric

Actually, I imagine we're debating the writing of those characters over the performances of their respective actors. "Go to door" instead of "go to the door." Was probably how the line was written.
#41 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] There are different stages of ridiculous.Black_Knight_00

You may not care about voice acting and characterisation in an action game. You may not care about details in general. But I do.

You can focus on whatever you want, just don't expect your critique to be taken seriously when you piss all over an action game for having incidental characterization.

And your critique has nothing to do with focusing on minutia or details. You came out of the gate with a hate-boner for this developer and this game and you've done a lousy job defending your specious, vapid critique because it was predicated on numerous superficialities and incorrect assertions.

#42 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Grammaton-Cleric

You can focus on whatever you want, just don't expect your critique to be taken seriously when you piss all over an action game for having incidental characterization.

And your critique has nothing to do with focusing on minutia or details. You came out of the gate with a hate-boner for this developer and this game and you've done a lousy job defending your specious, vapid critique because it was predicated on numerous superficialities and incorrect assertions.

Incorrect from your point of view. My critique is mosty correct from a techincal standpoint, you simply think I'm overanalyzing a simple genre. From my point of view I'm not. I am perfectly entitled to b*tch on a game that doesn't provide what I want.
#43 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] You may not care about voice acting and characterisation in an action game. You may not care about details in general. But I do.Black_Knight_00

Incorrect from your point of view. My critique is mosty correct from a techincal standpoint, you simply think I'm overanalyzing a simple genre. From my point of view I'm not. I am perfectly entitled to b*tch on a game that doesn't provide what I want.

so in simple terms . . . You're just "Entitled". I gues it Makes sense
#44 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Lulekani

Why, aren't you entitled to voice your distaste? Where do you live, Iran?
#45 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

The demo isn't a good indicator on how the characters are going to be developed in the game. It's too short to get an actual assessment on the characters, and it's a stretch to say that they are poorly written and characterized when we don't spend that much time with them in the demo.

Boris speaking the way he does has nothing to do with how Kojima Productions intended the character to be, that is the responsibility of whomever was in charge of localizing the game. And Kevin didn't come off as a "stereotypical black man" either, he just happens to be black. I for one thought the voice acting in the demo was good, and the writing seems to be in line with what you would expect in an MGS game (like them nonchalantly explaining game mechanics).

You're free to have an opinion of your own and to state it however you may wish to, but that doesn't make you immune to criticism.

edit: I incorrectly gave credit to Platinum Games for the writing of this game.

#46 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
I dont think I need to express my thoughts on story in action games do I? :P I am going to play the demo now, only played it before once at a friends house.
#47 Posted by Lulekani (2216 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Incorrect from your point of view. My critique is mosty correct from a techincal standpoint, you simply think I'm overanalyzing a simple genre. From my point of view I'm not. I am perfectly entitled to b*tch on a game that doesn't provide what I want.

actualy South Africa. Anyway I'm all down for voicing my thoughts of something I hate, but I'l never (from this point foward) pass of my hate as facts or valid arguments against something. For instance I hate Final Fantasy, but I wont deny what an impressively good franchise it really is. We gota give credit where its earned. Right ?
#48 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18198 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] so in simple terms . . . You're just "Entitled". I gues it Makes senseLulekani

actualy South Africa. Anyway I'm all down for voicing my thoughts of something I hate, but I'l never (from this point foward) pass of my hate as facts or valid arguments against something. For instance I hate Final Fantasy, but I wont deny what an impressively good franchise it really is. We gota give credit where its earned. Right ?

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of post based on personal opinion, I don't know what is.

#49 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Why, aren't you entitled to voice your distaste? Where do you live, Iran?Black_Knight_00

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of an opinionated post, I don't know what is.

Incipit = It Begins in Latin?

#50 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Lulekani"] actualy South Africa. Anyway I'm all down for voicing my thoughts of something I hate, but I'l never (from this point foward) pass of my hate as facts or valid arguments against something. For instance I hate Final Fantasy, but I wont deny what an impressively good franchise it really is. We gota give credit where its earned. Right ?Metamania

What's the first thing I said? "You guys are going to love Metal Gear Rising, but I always hate these games" If that's not the incipit of an opinionated post, I don't know what is.

Incipit = It Begins in Latin?

Clearly he is not thinking straight enough to spell properly. Most of the blood in his head has gone to his crotch to fuel his raging hate boner.