GD Lounge- The Next Generation Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#701 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

@chicknfeet said:

@Jacanuk: Trust that you all aren't the only ones frustrated with the things going on. I am trying to be patient with the new changes just because i know what it's like migrating to a whole new platform. But it just seems like all too much going on for the admin team to handle. Definitely seems like decisions being made from the folks who don't spend any time in the forums.

Forgot to ask you. Can you post while at work or no? We still have a date Wednesday night correct?

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#702 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@Randolph: nah its pretty much just complaining about mods..

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#703 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Randolph said:

@chicknfeet said:

@Jacanuk: Trust that you all aren't the only ones frustrated with the things going on. I am trying to be patient with the new changes just because i know what it's like migrating to a whole new platform. But it just seems like all too much going on for the admin team to handle. Definitely seems like decisions being made from the folks who don't spend any time in the forums.

Pretty much anyone on GS staff would fall under that category of "people who don't even use the forums making decisions about how the forums should be run". Too busy posting on Neogaf for us common folk. Except for this @edgework fellow. He's a stand up guy and very responsive and active on fixing things that are not working right.

I don't see anyone from the staff except for Synthia actually using the forums. So i agree

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#704 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@MethodManFTW: Well their has been a lot of… aggravation about the way things have been handled on the administrative side. I get that it doesn't interest or annoys you, but if you want to change the conversation to something more interesting to you, it's always better to lead the way yourself than to just complain about what other people are discussing. Just start your own line of discussion, ya know? Lots of people have talked about lots of different things. Lot of us have bent asking about the way things are being run because we have a vested interest in this community, we really like this place, and we want to see it get better.

For instance, we could switch to talking about the FREAKING HUGE amount of money I'm about to drop on my Xbone day one set up.

Xbone. (paid in full)

Killer Instinct TE Arcade Stick

Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct '94 (free with $39 edition of KI)

Forza 5

Ryse

Dead Rising 3

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

Crimson Dragon

If someone had told me a few months ago at the Bone reveal that I would be bringing home all of this in the wee hours of November 22nd, I'd have laughed at them. Funny how things work out sometimes.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#705 MethodManFTW

You into the fighting game scene? Personally KI looks like junk to me but there are definitely some players interested in it.

I'm pretty excited for Black Flag, think it comes out on PC soon.. Glad they pretty much got rid of all the present day stuff.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#706 Randolph

@MethodManFTW: I have always been floating around near the perimeter. Interested, but not dedicated to jump in. KI looks my entry point. I hope I'm not wrong. Max on youtube makes me very interested in digging in. HYPE.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#707 MethodManFTW

Maximilian is hype about every fighting game release always. That's his job.

That'd be cool if Double Helix released a good game finally though.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708 Randolph

@MethodManFTW: If Naughty Dog can go from Way of the Warrior to Uncharted, and Guerrilla Games can go from Shellshock Nam '67 to Killzone 2, and the same damned team that made Devil May Cry 2 can turn around and make the greatest action game of all time Devil May Cry 3, then Double Helix can do good on Killer Instinct. I still expect the game to get slaughtered by critics for the structure of the game, with it's various models of purchase, initial offering of only six characters for season one, etc.

But every time I see Ken Lobb he's smiling like he has something special on his hands, and everything I've seen says he's right. They've brought in a lot of talent to help with the development, so I feel confident I'll enjoy it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#709  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Since I now have a PSN account and have a PS4, feel free to add me: MMT2313. I'm not hard to find. :)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#710  Edited By Randolph

Oh I hate this. I went to sleep, woke up four hours later with a headache, took a goody powder and drank some water, laid backed own and… nothing. I'm wide the hell awake at 6AM EST. Oh well, I need to start changing my sleeping patterns anyway, Assistant Managers do a lot of opening and long mid day shifts that start earlier in the day. Wish I still lived out in the country at times like this, having coffee and breakfast on the porch listening to the birds chirp and sing was a special kind of serenity.

RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#711 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts

@Dracula68 said:

@robbristow said:

Personally, I'd have preferred that the entire new site had stayed in beta for longer, to avoid features being lost while they reimplement them, as well as weeding out the widespread bugs prior to actual release.

Yeah, in a perfect world that would be great but they wanna roll out new things as fast as humanely possible and sadly that means not much testing. Supposedly certain people and Mods had about a 30-45 day window to report things but my guess is either most didn't report anything at all or nobody fixed anything that was reported.

This place is a shell of what it once was and why you will only see me post right here. I keep this thread bookmarked so I don't have to see the mess the forums are now.

I've stuck mostly to one forum due to time constraints personally - I don't believe the window from actual beta to release was that long, though there was screenshots of certain parts that far back prior to release at least. There certainly was feedback and a few bugs got fixed too - but at the same time I know several things that were reported weren't fixed until as much as a week after release. I'm guessing they had a schedule in place for the release date and weren't willing to hold it back to get the bugs fixed...then obviously a ton more bugs arose after it was made live. I suspect things like missing features weren't reported during that time period because we were unaware of just how close to release it was too - I suspect many were expecting more things to be added prior to release. Regardless it's live now and bugs are regularly being fixed and missing features implemented, we're just stuck dealing with it in the meantime, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's another couple months (or perhaps even longer) before the site stops getting code pushed to it and can actually stabilise without bugs all over the place.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#712  Edited By Randolph

The whole redesign was rushed, but my understanding was that at a fundamental level the old site was just coming apart at the seams and was being held together by nothing but hope. Better to be on the lower floors of a building that is still being added on to, than on the top floor of one that is crumbling beneath your feet.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#713 Dracula68

@Randolph said:

The whole redesign was rushed, but my understanding was that at a fundamental level the old site was just coming apart at the seams and was being held together by nothing but hope. Better to be on the lower floors of a building that is still being added on to, than on the top floor of one that is crumbling beneath your feet.

Yeah, I got the same feeling reading various e-mails. Still why scrap UCB's and Unions? They couldn't add them with a new site? Even if you couldn't transition the old one's over why not just let people make new ones then?

In other news, holy X1 review embargoes this morning. I think I am finally caught up!

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#714 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Randolph said:

Bad excuses are just bad and the old site might have been a slight problem but at least it worked and was easy to use.

Now its just a mess and they still haven't added the PC hardware forum back even tho it has completely ruined the PC games forum.

Honestly i will never understand why a company like Gamespot hire people who never use the site or forums to make a new one. Its like asking a blind man to lead you across the street, its bound to go wrong.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#715 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

Anyone here have Monster Hunter? >_>

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#716 Randolph

@Jacanuk: I'd agree with that. They should ask the moderators what forums should and should not exist, they would know best. Well, what few are still around.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717 The_Last_Ride

Anyone here getting the X1?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#718  Edited By Randolph

@The_Last_Ride said:

I just got the call about coming up about 6 PM Thursday to get a ticket and go ahead and pay off the console. Mine is in fact, paid off. So all I need to do is go and get the ticket. Going to pay off my games and the stick as well before hand so I can just walk in, get my stuff, and go.

GET HYPE.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#719 The_Last_Ride

@Randolph said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I just got the call about coming up about 6 PM Thursday to get a ticket and go ahead and pay off the console. Mine is in fact, paid off. So all I need to do is go and get the ticket. Going to pay off my games and the stick as well before hand so I can just walk in, get my stuff, and go.

GET HYPE.

I just can't get it, it's because of the price and that MS doesn't give a crap about Europe with X1 or even the 360. We haven't got a lot of apps you guys get with that console and it won't even be here until next year

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#720 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Today, I exchanged my copy of Killzone 3 that stalled during a mission and did not work properly during another. I think the latter issue is a bug that was probably patched, but I have not been on PSN for nearly half a month because of Comcast not giving me the service that was paid for. I also got Far Cry 3 and Fight Night Round 4 because I thought it was a good idea. I am slowly building my collection a game or two, or three at a time. Mwahaha

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#721 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

@Dracula68: Yes, date night on Wednesday and yes i can post from work...but i'm sure you will be good and in bed whenever i post

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#722  Edited By MethodManFTW

I've been buying like 1 3ds game a week since i bought it but i never play it. -__-

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#723  Edited By Dracula68

@chicknfeet said:

@Dracula68: Yes, date night on Wednesday and yes i can post from work...but i'm sure you will be good and in bed whenever i post

Well if you wait until 7 hours into your shift during a week night then yes I will be asleep! You can always come visit me in bed. Open invitation!

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#724 chicknfeet

@Dracula68: hubba hubba! Well i have another 9 hours here so feel free to bug me

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#725 Metamania

I'm not getting an X1 anytime soon. In fact, I think the only next-gen system I'll be sticking with for a long time is going to be the PS4. I'm really happy with it.

Speaking of happy, Gamefly's copy of Chrono Trigger on the DS finally arrived in the mailbox. My life is so over. :)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726 branketra

Far Cry 3 is a major improvement from Far Cry 2. Thus far, there is no game-related issue that influences me to stop playing. That games features many things to keep me interested in playing. I am glad I bought it today. Now if Valkyria Chronicles would only recieve trophies, I would be more satisfied with the video game industry.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#727 chicknfeet

@BranKetra: Do you really need trophies to play the game? We did just fine with the Nintendo and Super Nintendo without having trophies. As long as you enjoy the game, that should be all that matters.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#728 Dracula68

@chicknfeet said:

@Dracula68: hubba hubba! Well i have another 9 hours here so feel free to bug me

Now you tell me you tease you!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#729 The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

I'm not getting an X1 anytime soon. In fact, I think the only next-gen system I'll be sticking with for a long time is going to be the PS4. I'm really happy with it.

Speaking of happy, Gamefly's copy of Chrono Trigger on the DS finally arrived in the mailbox. My life is so over. :)

same here aswell, Europe gets screwed over with X1 anyway

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#730  Edited By Metamania

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I'm not surprised by that. I expect console launches to be short on systems for the holiday season.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#731  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Metamania said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Metamania said:

I'm not surprised by that. I expect console launches to be short on systems for the holiday season.

Same can be said about the 360, we got screwed over with that aswell

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#732  Edited By Randolph

@Metamania: Which is exactly why console launches should not happen during the holiday season. They need to get to a place where when a new console launches any consumer can walk into pretty much any major retailer the next day and purchase it at their leisure with no fuss. This holiday mess always ends up turning people who would otherwise being happy customer off on their products altogether because of the massive hassle.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#733 Metamania

@Randolph said:

@Metamania: Which is exactly why console launches should not happen during the holiday season. They need to get to a place where when a new console launches any consumer can walk into pretty much any major retailer the next day and purchase it at their leisure with no fuss. This holiday mess always ends up turning people who would otherwise being happy customer off on their products altogether because of the massive hassle.

Money aside, I have no other reason to get excited about working for a place like Target during the holiday season. People are going to whine and bitch about it and will ask me "Hey, how come how the X1 and PS4 are sold out? There should have been plenty more!" Therefore, I agree; console launches should happen a long time before that year's holiday season.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#734 Randolph

Absolutely. Spring would be the ideal time to launch a new system.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#735 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts

@chicknfeet said:

@BranKetra: Do you really need trophies to play the game? We did just fine with the Nintendo and Super Nintendo without having trophies. As long as you enjoy the game, that should be all that matters.

I agree. While I do like achievements, they're not necessary for ultimate game enjoyment.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#736 branketra

@chicknfeet: No. I said I would be more satisfied with trophies for Valkyria Chronicles. I think the same about Devil May Cry 4. I said nothing about them being required to play it. Also, Valkyria Chronicles is a game on a console four generations after the SNES. Gaming has changed.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#737 Dracula68

@Randolph said:

Last time that happened was the Saturn and we all know how that ended up though it was really Sega's fault. I still think it would have survived longer had they kept the original launch date a week before the PSX. Dumb move backfired. I wanna say I remember the PSX selling more units in one month than Saturn did in the 4 months leading up to the PSX launch.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#738 chicknfeet

@Randolph said:

I would think more parents are willing to purchase consoles for their kids during the winter rather than during the spring time. I'm guessing that's what these big shot executives talk about during their staff meetings

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#739 MethodManFTW

@chicknfeet said:

@Randolph said:

I would think more parents are willing to purchase consoles for their kids during the winter rather than during the spring time. I'm guessing that's what these big shot executives talk about during their staff meetings

Definitely.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#740 Dracula68

No company has the balls to do it any more. Game companies , on the other hand, do depending on the game. For example MSG 4 and GTA IV both sold extremely well for late 2nd quarter releases.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#741 Randolph

This last week was by and far the most bizzare in all of my time on Gamespot.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#742  Edited By branketra

Far Cry 3 is one of the best games I have played of the seventh generation. It is outstanding.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#743 branketra

I just filed a formal complaint with the BBB about Comcast and I am going to file more of them about the same company, but different concerns. Today, a sales representative called me a liar when I clarified download speeds I get and shouted at my mom while calling us a waste of her time.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#744 Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

Oh what happened to your mod status?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#745  Edited By Randolph

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

See, I don't even know if I should talk about that or not. I have a total lack of communication to thank for that. I really feel like someone should be explaining something to me, and no one is. It's… frustrating.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#746  Edited By Jacanuk

@Randolph said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

See, I don't even know if I should talk about that or not. I have a total lack of communication to thank for that. I really feel like someone should be explaining something to me, and no one is. It's… frustrating.

Ahh, so Gamespot is being Gamespot and have left you out to dry again.

Sometimes i wonder if the admin staff on gamespot is a bunch of drunken monkeys hired from the local Circus

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#747  Edited By Metamania

I used to be a moderator when this place first started out, an assistant moderator, but a moderator nevertheless. It was fun while it lasted, but ultimately, it got to be a pain in the ass, especially with a few posters being bothersome (like the infamous Alex Watchtower, who I took down when I resigned). Now I don't have to worry about that as much.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#748  Edited By The_Last_Ride

So what's up fruiy pebbles? Whatcha playing?

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#749 Randolph

Ryse is pretty, fun, and has a neat story. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. Gonna try Dead Rising 3 soon, just wish i could have gotten today off like I originally requested. I had to stand in line at Gamestop for an hour to get my pick up ticket, and I had hurt my back before going there, so standing around in a line was pure torture. It wouldn't have taken so long but only one register was doing the purchase finalizations, and the manager was trying to sell everyone on extra stuff.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#750 Dracula68

@Jacanuk said:

@Randolph said:

When were you a Mod? I assume prior to Jan 2006?