Free Radical Just Shut Down!!! *violently weeps*

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

Poor Free Radical

I want timesplitters4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadMac132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MadMac132
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
awww...me want ts4
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
WHAT! NO! Free Radical is..was my favorite FPS game studio. This is some of the worst news I've ever heard.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Ever since they first announced Haze I've been saying they should have just made TS4... and now they are facing the music. It is unfortunate that 180 people lost their jobs but they did it to themselves with an untested, exclusive IP in a field they have little experience in ("realistic" shooters).

I do hope the TS IP isn't lost forever... it has always been the shining light for N64-styIe console FPS's... what I tend to refer to as "true" console FPS's (they are entirely different than what is offered on PC).
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gunswordfist
Ever since they first announced Haze I've been saying they should have just made TS4... and now they are facing the music. It is unfortunate that 180 people lost their jobs but they did it to themselves with an untested, exclusive IP in a field they have little experience in ("realistic" shooters).

I do hope the TS IP isn't lost forever... it has always been the shining light for N64-styIe console FPS's... what I tend to refer to as "true" console FPS's (they are entirely different than what is offered on PC).foxhound_fox
I doubt just one bad shooter killed them. In fact I heard Haze sold half a million copies.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Too bad about the lost jobs, but the Free Radical was a mediocre developer whose last game was terrible so as a gamer I'm unbothered by their dissolution.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 foxhound_fox
I doubt just one bad shooter killed them. In fact I heard Haze sold half a million copies.gunswordfist

It was a high-risk, high-budget venture... and they obviously didn't make the return they needed considering they went under. And I think it has more to do with the company growing so quickly on so little. All they have released as a team is the three TS's, Second Sight and Haze... none of which were excessively popular and they have 180 employees. Obviously their funding must have fallen through, especially considering they were in league with Lucasarts for the next Battlefront game and then Lucasarts just stopped returning their calls.

I am looking forward to what this "Pumpkin Head" are going to work on though. Hopefully the creative geniuses behind the humour in TS are going to be among those working for the new team.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Too bad about the lost jobs, but the Free Radical was a mediocre developer whose last game was terrible so as a gamer I'm unbothered by their dissolution.

CarnageHeart

My sentiments exactly.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

My sentiments exactly.

BBOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

But wait! Who's gonna make the follow up for Second Sight now??! :cry:

Oh yeah, and T4 too......

luisen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 luisen123
Member since 2006 • 6537 Posts
What, no more Time Splitters? but it was awesome.. :cry:
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Yay this is good news for me because I don't want those losers touching the Starwars Battlefront Game._Kikode_

Battlefront only got worse with the second installment. As long as they kept what made the first one good, they could only have improved it.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Come on, you know that DICE should just make it. Battlefront has always been a wannabe Battlefield with Star Wars added in anyway. That will never happen though....

But about Free Radical- all of you who say you don't like Timesplitters- What is wrong with you? If you could play through Future Perfect and not smile at least once, you have a heart made out of stone or ice or something like that.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="AtomicTangerine"]

Come on, you know that DICE should just make it. Battlefront has always been a wannabe Battlefield with Star Wars added in anyway. That will never happen though....

But about Free Radical- all of you who say you don't like Timesplitters- What is wrong with you? If you could play through Future Perfect and not smile at least once, you have a heart made out of stone or ice or something like that.

I haven't played Future Perfect yet but TS2 makes me smile. So does Goldeneye.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
But about Free Radical- all of you who say you don't like Timesplitters- What is wrong with you? If you could play through Future Perfect and not smile at least once, you have a heart made out of stone or ice or something like that. AtomicTangerine

First 1:15 and first 0:30. That is why I loved the game... besides the incredibly fast-paced, crazy-pants gameplay.

Bots gave you and three friends a game of 16. Far too few console shooters feature such great splitscreen multiplayer and bots... nor singleplayer-multiplayer (you alone with bots). Battlefront is the only other game that I can think of that had good SP-MP.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lazyhoboguy

yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series. Yes, Haze sucked (havent played it myself) , but every other game made by Free Radical has been great.

A few members did start a new studio. So hopefully, the Free Radical spirit can live on.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Did they own Time Splitters? I'm pretty sure they didn't and if they did someone can pick it up.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
I'm going to say it in every thread, they need to go back to Rare, and help out on the next PDZ or if they could secure another old school James Bond license, why not make a prequel to Goldeneye...Goldfinger perhaps would be incredible or Octupusy (can't get pass censor) with all of its Cold-War references.
argianas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 argianas
Member since 2005 • 6779 Posts
You know, it wasn't just Haze that bombed. TimeSplitters didn't sell that much, likely not enough to make a profit. They were working on TS4 for over a year with their own money, but they couldn't get a single publisher to back it due to the financial results of the previous games in the series. Thus, they sunk.
Ikarus14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#21 Ikarus14
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Well, I guess Timesplitters 4 would be awesome compared to the let-down that was HAZE, so bring it on I say. :)
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
What no sequel to Haze :cry:. They never managed to pull off something as good as GoldenEye was in its time though, what would be cool is if the staff went back to Rare and they sorted their act out.
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
Although I've never played any of Free Radical's games, I do have friends who are big fans of Timesplitters. Oh boy...
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpInFlames

yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series.lazyhoboguy

And proud of it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox
You know, it wasn't just Haze that bombed. TimeSplitters didn't sell that much, likely not enough to make a profit. They were working on TS4 for over a year with their own money, but they couldn't get a single publisher to back it due to the financial results of the previous games in the series. Thus, they sunk.argianas

The difference between Timesplitters and Haze? Timesplitters didn't suck.

Lots of games bomb... but that doesn't make them bad. Just look at Grim Fandango. One of the biggest commercial failures in the history of gaming, yet regarded as one of the best games ever.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox
Timesplitters 4 concept art:

McMJ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 McMJ3
Member since 2008 • 2441 Posts
Nooooooooooo We need TS4!!!
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gunswordfist
Nooooooooooo We need TS4!!!McMJ3
Yes we physically need TS4!!!!!!!!!!!
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

actually timesplitters 1 sold 8 million copies, on ps2 alone being exclusive, and you know what, the guys behind times plitters did

perfect dark 1 -8-9 million sold n64

goldeneye 8 million sold n64

timesplitters 2 -same as timesplitters 1 but on all 3 platforms

timesplitters 3 sold just under 8 , so timesplitters was thier popular title, and was a popular hit so good that i had a hard time findin my copy of timesplitters 1 for ps2 , ,

haze is definatelly the cause as well as ps3 ,at the time ,

if they had release haze on wii and 360 to theyd do good, but go to wiki pedia, in the article they confirmed that all this is a rumor not true , their site is stilll up so thats a indicater that free radical still up and running ,

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#30 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
if they had release haze on wii and 360 to theyd do good, but go to wiki pedia, in the article they confirmed that all this is a rumor not true , their site is stilll up so thats a indicater that free radical still up and running. mariokart64fan
wikipedia is a horrible source. Right now I can go to the Elvis page and say II'm Elvis, I'm alive and 2pac and I are going state to state singing Kareoke (sp) in local bars. It will probably stay that way for a few days until someone notices it and reports that it is false. The hotel that i used to work at that is closed still has a website up. that doesn't make it true either.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]if they had release haze on wii and 360 to theyd do good, but go to wiki pedia, in the article they confirmed that all this is a rumor not true , their site is stilll up so thats a indicater that free radical still up and running. smerlus
wikipedia is a horrible source. Right now I can go to the Elvis page and say II'm Elvis, I'm alive and 2pac and I are going state to state singing Kareoke (sp) in local bars. It will probably stay that way for a few days until someone notices it and reports that it is false. The hotel that i used to work at that is closed still has a website up. that doesn't make it true either.

It's Karaoke. Jeez! We can't take you anywhere. Really. *exasperated sigh*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 190586385885857957282413308806
It's Karaoke. Jeez! We can't take you anywhere. Really. *exasperated sigh* juradai
Well you're right there. And I am Elvis, thank yuh very much. ~twists hips and struts out of topic~
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lazyhoboguy
Actually, Ive read a bunch of articles on this now, and free radical design isnt officially closed yet. Just a ton of workers arent allowed to work, a new company has been started by an exec, so things dont look good.
SovietMudkipz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SovietMudkipz
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts
Timesplitters 4 concept art foxhound_fox
Wow that's some awesome concept art. I haven't checked out Timesplitters before but that really makes me want to.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series.UpInFlames

And proud of it.

That's not cool man. Not cool at all. That would be like me saying I'm proud to have never played Crysis or Half Life (though I happen to like the HL games) and think that everyone who plays and likes those games are fools. Some of us happened to like the console-style FPS that Goldeneye started and TimeSplitters continued.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series.MAILER_DAEMON

And proud of it.

That's not cool man. Not cool at all. That would be like me saying I'm proud to have never played Crysis or Half Life (though I happen to like the HL games) and think that everyone who plays and likes those games are fools. Some of us happened to like the console-style FPS that Goldeneye started and TimeSplitters continued.

I'm inclined to believe that he was merely being facetious regarding the gross assumption made by the poster he is quoting.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

As anyone else seen this?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171987 It seems not all of Free Radical is over.

According to employees, the TimeSplitters developer remains open for business and there is still hope that a solution can be found for its woes.

An employee who wishes to remain anonymous wanted to set things straight to 1up. They said that contrary to reports, "Free Radical has *not* closed. There's still a skeleton crew of guys staying on maintaining business as usual, and nobody's been formally made redundant." It is believed that about 20 staff members are manning the fort in the company's four office buildings in Nottingham, with the remaining 160 or so being asked to stay at home.

The team remain hopeful that a solution can be reached and everything will be back to normal in the new year. Our source repeats, "They're not closed. The intention is, going forwards, that hopefully the skeleton crew can shock things back to life in the new year and things can ramp back up from there. But they are *not* out of business."

Free Radical went into administration on December 18. Administration is a process in the UK that a company which has become insolvent can choose instead of liquidation to continue running the business. The administration company acts in the interest of creditors and attempts to rescue its charge. ReSolve, the administration company tasked with rescuing Free Radical commented that it was "very confident" that a buyer could be found for the business if a decision is made to sell.

Officially, Free Radical Design is currently working on two games--TimeSplitters 4, and a secret LucasArts project rumored to be Star Wars Battlefront III (and also rumored to have been turned over to other UK dev Rebellion instead). However, our source implies that there may be more projects underway which have not yet been announced. They told 1up, "There's a number of cool projects in development--two of which are getting quite a lot of publisher interest already." It is not known if TimeSplitters 4, which the company has been working on for over a year, is one of these.

Some hope left for Timesplitters 4.

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Timesplitters is honestly like my favourite series of all time. Wow big news day for me, started with the first news of the new MLB The Show game and now this...
allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171987 It seems not all of Free Radical is over.

According to employees, the TimeSplitters developer remains open for business and there is still hope that a solution can be found for its woes.

An employee who wishes to remain anonymous wanted to set things straight to 1up. They said that contrary to reports, "Free Radical has *not* closed. There's still a skeleton crew of guys staying on maintaining business as usual, and nobody's been formally made redundant." It is believed that about 20 staff members are manning the fort in the company's four office buildings in Nottingham, with the remaining 160 or so being asked to stay at home.

The team remain hopeful that a solution can be reached and everything will be back to normal in the new year. Our source repeats, "They're not closed. The intention is, going forwards, that hopefully the skeleton crew can shock things back to life in the new year and things can ramp back up from there. But they are *not* out of business."

Free Radical went into administration on December 18. Administration is a process in the UK that a company which has become insolvent can choose instead of liquidation to continue running the business. The administration company acts in the interest of creditors and attempts to rescue its charge. ReSolve, the administration company tasked with rescuing Free Radical commented that it was "very confident" that a buyer could be found for the business if a decision is made to sell.

Officially, Free Radical Design is currently working on two games--TimeSplitters 4, and a secret LucasArts project rumored to be Star Wars Battlefront III (and also rumored to have been turned over to other UK dev Rebellion instead). However, our source implies that there may be more projects underway which have not yet been announced. They told 1up, "There's a number of cool projects in development--two of which are getting quite a lot of publisher interest already." It is not known if TimeSplitters 4, which the company has been working on for over a year, is one of these.

ASK_Story
Oh okay, thank the gaming gods.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Timesplitters 4 concept art:

foxhound_fox

Very nice artwork!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CarnageHeart

yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series. Yes, Haze sucked (havent played it myself) , but every other game made by Free Radical has been great.

A few members did start a new studio. So hopefully, the Free Radical spirit can live on.

lazyhoboguy

The campaign modes of the Timesplitters games were never in the same league as Halo (not even Halo 2), Red Faction (even the regrettable RF2 embarrasses TS in terms of the campaign) or even the similarly multiplayer focused SOCOM (the original SOCOM's campaign was terrible, but 2 and 3 boasted solid campaigns).

And any developer that releases a game as garbage as Haze (which I have played) deserves to fail.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CarnageHeart

ASK_Story

*Shakes head* There are two types of publishers. There are publishers who believe talent/quality will eventually be rewarded (which is why teams like Q, Doublefine and Platinum can find publishers despite not having a strong record of commercial success) and there are publishers who focus on a game's marketablity or a team's record of commercial success (which is why games like 50 Cent Blood in the Sand find publishers). I don't see why either type would be interested in Free Radical give its history (mediocre at best games in what is now an incredibly competitive genre, low sales).

Admittedly, I don't have the NPD numbers of the Timesplitters games, but the 3 games went through two publishers (Eidos and EA) so its a safe bet the numbers weren't good. Of course, publishers sometimes make stupid decisions, so there's still a sliver of hope for Free Radical.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 foxhound_fox
Oh okay, thank the gaming gods.allnamestaken

Indeed. Everyone, gather libations! Tonight we must make sacrifice to make sure their will is not in vain!
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lazyhoboguy
[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

CarnageHeart

The campaign modes of the Timesplitters games were never in the same league as Halo (not even Halo 2), Red Faction (even the regrettable RF2 embarrasses TS in terms of the campaign) or even the similarly multiplayer focused SOCOM (the original SOCOM's campaign was terrible, but 2 and 3 boasted solid campaigns).

And any developer that releases a game as garbage as Haze (which I have played) deserves to fail.

well...um you do know that everyone loves timesplitters for the multiplayer. Single player was just an added bonus in my opinion.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CarnageHeart
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

lazyhoboguy

well...um you do know that everyone loves timesplitters for the multiplayer. Single player was just an added bonus in my opinion.

Given the fact the campaigns were a sloppy afterthought, its reasonable to assume that the handful who enjoyed Timesplitters must have derived their enjoyment from the multiplayer. Last gen I wasn't an online gamer, so I judged games by the quality of their SP campaigns.

This gen, I am an online gamer, so I can accept online only games (though IIRC the first two Timesplitters didn't have online play), but I think developers should be honest. If one is going to focus on online play, fine, but don't include a throwaway campaign mode just so you can have an extra bullet point on the back of the box (which is what FR did with the TS games).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b7eeba71ed1e
Member since 2005 • 7040 Posts

It sucks for FRD, but I personally thought they were one of the more overrated developers out there. They got a ton of attention as a result of some of the company being ex-Rareware guys from the Goldeneye/Perfect Dark teams, but their games never even came close to matching Rare's games.

The original Timesplitter's was one of the more overrated launch games in recent memory. A multi-player based shooter with a few average maps that looked like it was developed on the N64, lacking online play at a time when the brilliant Quake 3 Arena was on the Dreamcast with better maps, better action, and full online. As was Unreal Tournament. Not to mention Perfect Dark hit N64 that year and was a better game in every way.

Timesplitters 2 was better, but still lacked online and like the entire series, had a throwaway joke of a campaign mode. Which made it pointless to me next to something like Halo. I also never cared for the controls which always felt like they were stuck in the N64 era on better controllers. Timesplitters 3 finally added online, but by that point the series felt totally stale and most people didn't care. Then they followed those up with Second Sight; an average adventure game, and Haze; a horrible shooter.

So really, it was only a matter of time before Free Radical went down. In many ways, Haze was a make or break game for them. A game where they could either prove they were capable of making a blockbuster game, or fall into obscurity.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts
As ASK_Story said, they've merely gone into administration so they can continue to operate until they can pay their debts and then go back to full operations. All employees have been paid up till the end of December and there will be an official announcement about what is going to happen before the new year (Source).
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 UpInFlames
I'm inclined to believe that he was merely being facetious regarding the gross assumption made by the poster he is quoting.SteelAttack

I thought that was painfully obvious...gotta make a conscious effort to use emoticons more often, I guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 190586385885857957282413308806
CarnageHeart
For once Carnage I'll agree with you to a point. Timesplitters games aren't bad for what they are but it's what they are that is wrong with them. Their main draw is more of an online party MP or a split screen local party MP and frankly there's a very small market for that. You look at games that are hugely succesful and those are games with good single players or seriously competitive MPs. Timesplitters have niether. If they were smart they would tone down all the violence, up the goofyness and market it on the Wii or make a bargain game for PSN or XBL... or even just a toned down game like Nuts and Bolts was.