Free Radical Just Shut Down!!! *violently weeps*

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series. Yes, Haze sucked (havent played it myself) , but every other game made by Free Radical has been great.

A few members did start a new studio. So hopefully, the Free Radical spirit can live on.

CarnageHeart

The campaign modes of the Timesplitters games were never in the same league as Halo (not even Halo 2), Red Faction (even the regrettable RF2 embarrasses TS in terms of the campaign) or even the similarly multiplayer focused SOCOM (the original SOCOM's campaign was terrible, but 2 and 3 boasted solid campaigns).

And any developer that releases a game as garbage as Haze (which I have played) deserves to fail.

Well good for you if you don't like TS' campaigns. That gives you no right to troll in this thread.

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series.MAILER_DAEMON

And proud of it.

That's not cool man. Not cool at all. That would be like me saying I'm proud to have never played Crysis or Half Life (though I happen to like the HL games) and think that everyone who plays and likes those games are fools. Some of us happened to like the console-****FPS that Goldeneye started and TimeSplitters continued.

*applause*

As anyone else seen this?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171987 It seems not all of Free Radical is over.

According to employees, the TimeSplitters developer remains open for business and there is still hope that a solution can be found for its woes.

An employee who wishes to remain anonymous wanted to set things straight to 1up. They said that contrary to reports, "Free Radical has *not* closed. There's still a skeleton crew of guys staying on maintaining business as usual, and nobody's been formally made redundant." It is believed that about 20 staff members are manning the fort in the company's four office buildings in Nottingham, with the remaining 160 or so being asked to stay at home.

The team remain hopeful that a solution can be reached and everything will be back to normal in the new year. Our source repeats, "They're not closed. The intention is, going forwards, that hopefully the skeleton crew can shock things back to life in the new year and things can ramp back up from there. But they are *not* out of business."

Free Radical went into administration on December 18. Administration is a process in the UK that a company which has become insolvent can choose instead of liquidation to continue running the business. The administration company acts in the interest of creditors and attempts to rescue its charge. ReSolve, the administration company tasked with rescuing Free Radical commented that it was "very confident" that a buyer could be found for the business if a decision is made to sell.

Officially, Free Radical Design is currently working on two games--TimeSplitters 4, and a secret LucasArts project rumored to be Star Wars Battlefront III (and also rumored to have been turned over to other UK dev Rebellion instead). However, our source implies that there may be more projects underway which have not yet been announced. They told 1up, "There's a number of cool projects in development--two of which are getting quite a lot of publisher interest already." It is not known if TimeSplitters 4, which the company has been working on for over a year, is one of these.

Some hope left for Timesplitters 4.

ASK_Story

*starts crying* YES! There is hope for the best in the FPS biz.
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

As anyone else seen this?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171987 It seems not all of Free Radical is over.

According to employees, the TimeSplitters developer remains open for business and there is still hope that a solution can be found for its woes.

An employee who wishes to remain anonymous wanted to set things straight to 1up. They said that contrary to reports, "Free Radical has *not* closed. There's still a skeleton crew of guys staying on maintaining business as usual, and nobody's been formally made redundant." It is believed that about 20 staff members are manning the fort in the company's four office buildings in Nottingham, with the remaining 160 or so being asked to stay at home.

The team remain hopeful that a solution can be reached and everything will be back to normal in the new year. Our source repeats, "They're not closed. The intention is, going forwards, that hopefully the skeleton crew can shock things back to life in the new year and things can ramp back up from there. But they are *not* out of business."

Free Radical went into administration on December 18. Administration is a process in the UK that a company which has become insolvent can choose instead of liquidation to continue running the business. The administration company acts in the interest of creditors and attempts to rescue its charge. ReSolve, the administration company tasked with rescuing Free Radical commented that it was "very confident" that a buyer could be found for the business if a decision is made to sell.

Officially, Free Radical Design is currently working on two games--TimeSplitters 4, and a secret LucasArts project rumored to be Star Wars Battlefront III (and also rumored to have been turned over to other UK dev Rebellion instead). However, our source implies that there may be more projects underway which have not yet been announced. They told 1up, "There's a number of cool projects in development--two of which are getting quite a lot of publisher interest already." It is not known if TimeSplitters 4, which the company has been working on for over a year, is one of these.

Some hope left for Timesplitters 4.

allnamestaken
Oh okay, thank the gaming gods.

Thanks indeed.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
:cry: I hated Haze and everything about it, but the Timesplitters games were such great party/casual FPS games for playing with friends... this news makes me a sad panda.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
[QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

yea im betting the people bashing free radical are like 13 year olds who just started gaming this generation and never played the timesplitters series. Yes, Haze sucked (havent played it myself) , but every other game made by Free Radical has been great.

A few members did start a new studio. So hopefully, the Free Radical spirit can live on.

CarnageHeart

The campaign modes of the Timesplitters games were never in the same league as Halo (not even Halo 2), Red Faction (even the regrettable RF2 embarrasses TS in terms of the campaign) or even the similarly multiplayer focused SOCOM (the original SOCOM's campaign was terrible, but 2 and 3 boasted solid campaigns).

And any developer that releases a game as garbage as Haze (which I have played) deserves to fail.

Also, stop comparing this game to halo. Timesplitters wasn't trying to be halo. It is supposed to be a fun shooter with a sense of humor which it achieved.It is not a testosterone fueled alien slaughtering game like Halo.

If you can't appreciate being able to be a gingerbread man, then shotgun blasting a monkey's heady off, I pity you hehe.

In addition, Timesplitters Future Perfect wasn't just online focused, it was split screen focused. It has bots, which most shooters avoid, it has a custom map builder, it has tons of game modes, it has tons of challenges, so even after you finish the single player campain there is tons to do. You can race remote controlled cats and play curling using monkeys for ****'s sake!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Timesplitters 2 was better, but still lacked online and like the entire series, had a throwaway joke of a campaign mode.EdgecrusherAza

I went through TS2's campaign so many times I've lost count... I couldn't finish any of the Halo's due to boredom.
EyeWierd20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#55 EyeWierd20
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts

[QUOTE="EdgecrusherAza"]Timesplitters 2 was better, but still lacked online and like the entire series, had a throwaway joke of a campaign mode.foxhound_fox

I went through TS2's campaign so many times I've lost count... I couldn't finish any of the Halo's due to boredom.

Finally someone who understands how fun those campaign modes were!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

gunswordfist

Well good for you if you don't like TS' campaigns. That gives you no right to troll in this thread.

:roll: If you sincerely believe me laying out reasons for why the collapse of Free Radical is unsurprising/unimportant and dealing with those who disagree with me respectfully despite personal attacks (you're immature and now nothing of Timesplitters!) is trolling feel free to report me.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"][QUOTE="lazyhoboguy"]

lazyhoboguy

Also, stop comparing this game to halo. Timesplitters wasn't trying to be halo. It is supposed to be a fun shooter with a sense of humor which it achieved.It is not a testosterone fueled alien slaughtering game like Halo.

If you can't appreciate being able to be a gingerbread man, then shotgun blasting a monkey's heady off, I pity you hehe.

In addition, Timesplitters Future Perfect wasn't just online focused, it was split screen focused. It has bots, which most shooters avoid, it has a custom map builder, it has tons of game modes, it has tons of challenges, so even after you finish the single player campain there is tons to do. You can race remote controlled cats and play curling using monkeys for ****'s sake!

:| You responded to the exact same post yesterday and not only understood the point (that Timesplitters suffered from a sloppy afterthought of a campaign) but didn't see fit to dispute it (you response was 'everyone loves Timesplitters for the multiplayer'). My post didn't change. Why did your argument?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26714150&page=4

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
Nvm,I read that too fast, thought you were comparing the multiplayer.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 gunswordfist
[QUOTE="gunswordfist"]

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

:roll: If you sincerely believe me laying out reasons for why the collapse of Free Radical is unsurprising/unimportant and dealing with those who disagree with me respectfully despite personal attacks (you're immature and now nothing of Timesplitters!) is trolling feel free to report me.

How do you know the reasons for FR's collapse when you just heard about it from opening this thread? I'm sorry but don't pretend like you know what made FR go down when you just read one article that didn't even know that.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#60 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Awe man, so no haze 2? :lol:
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts
lol gunswordfist, I love your multi-quote posts. :lol:
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#62 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Awe man, so no haze 2? :lol:UT_Wrestler

That's just cold man!

I'm glad there is still hope for free radical, let's hope Sony picks them up and revives The Getaway, another mediocre franchise. :P

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
Just shows that in this economic climate, one stinker/major let-down is all it takes.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

WHAT! NO! Free Radical is..was my favorite FPS game studio. This is some of the worst news I've ever heard.gunswordfist

Worst news ever still goes to Blizzard canning Starcraft: Ghost

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 gunswordfist

[QUOTE="gunswordfist"]WHAT! NO! Free Radical is..was my favorite FPS game studio. This is some of the worst news I've ever heard.Ballroompirate

Worst news ever still goes to Blizzard canning Starcraft: Ghost

Disagree. FR is too great.