Call of Duty has ruined gaming.

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts
I don't think gaming is ruined at all on the contrary I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 days and I feel gaming as a whole is better then it's ever been. The vast majority of developers put an incredible amount of effort into making games these days. I can't possibly play all the games I want to play but that's ok because I now have an abundancy to choose from. Personally I find the recent Call of Duty games, from CoD4 and up to be excellent games. While there are certainly some others who try to emulate it, and rightfully so, I don't find it nearly as overwhelming as some try to make it out to be.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#52 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

"stale" franchises exist since the pong days, COD is nothing new

JuarN18
I agree, imo it's still a good series but it's getting a little stale imo, but it's still hard to argue with 10-15 million sales per game.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

... But I have to say that some times they can go over board, and not only CoD itself, but other games a well...that they find out the the new game is selling so good, they have to realise another game that it pretty much the same, but just with some "upgrades" and some different missions, theswede88
Assassin's Creed anyone?

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#54 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
I don't think Call of Duty is specifically to blame for "ruining gaming" (which is a vast overstatement). The cost to develop a game is higher now than it's ever been, and this isn't even mentioning the current economic climate not exactly being the most favorable for luxury industries like gaming. These days, a company can go bankrupt just from one flop (case in point: the dev team behind APB, the shortest-lived MMO ever). With this in mind, it's no wonder why developers are playing it safe by only investing in projects that are guaranteed to at least give them a return on their investment. It just so happens that shooters like Call of Duty are the current "safe bet" for gaming companies. If not CoD, developers would find the next popular thing to emulate. This isn't limited exclusively to gaming, either. How many big-budget movies or music albums can you count in the last year did something vastly different and unique from the rest of the mainstream stuff? Not many, I would bet.
theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 theswede88
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts

[QUOTE="theswede88"]... But I have to say that some times they can go over board, and not only CoD itself, but other games a well...that they find out the the new game is selling so good, they have to realise another game that it pretty much the same, but just with some "upgrades" and some different missions, Chickan_117

Assassin's Creed anyone?

We;; there is one game that haven't been out for that long, but now has what 3-4 games, And what i could read from one of GameSpots news, that they are now coming out with a Assassin Creed - Brother Hood da vinci?!
theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 theswede88
True what your saying MrFist, at the end of the day Activision knows that they have a good running with CoD as it's selling big time atm, and this is what they are investing in as CoD and getting the money that they need, I can understand that people are saying that a brand new game should come out that are "standing" out, but in todays economic I think its such a big risk to take so I think many game developers are doing what they are doing, play the safe game for now, what sells? The gaming industry is so big atm, everything is starting to get into 3D and even now, No controls, and I think its more to due with that they are just sitting and waiting until the big boom drops and then they can start doing the games that we are looking for, but for now, as i said before, I think they are looking into whats selling and whats selling, and whats not and whats the safest? I don't know, I might be wrong with this, but by looking into what kind of games that are coming out I think that Is one of the BIG reasons till why games are coming out similar, just check out Assassin Creed, First one sold big, 2nd as well and so on, Playing safe...
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Big games are being innovative. It is the details that they are being so innovative in. For example, FPS level design this gen has pushed many things while keeping them well made.

lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

Big games are being innovative. It is the details that they are being so innovative in. For example, FPS level design this gen has pushed many things while keeping them well made.

wiouds

the level design in quake 3 and unreal tournament was much better...also...look at the old school fps game all ur quakes and unreal and duke nukem and jedi knights and half life...the levels were so much more complex and much longer and much more interesting...so if ur definition of better is point A to point B and kill inifinately respawning enenmies until u go the maybe 300 yards in a very simple map then yes you are correct...but i preferred the old level design that was so far behind

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Chickan_117

FPS wise, multiplayer is certainly better now than it ever was but I feel the single player experience has gotten worse.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The only thing that has ruined gaming is the wannabe gamers who thinks every game should meet their expectations. It's always "oh teh graphics suxs", "12 hour single player?, what thats short". I honestly miss the days when gamers bought games and enjoyed em cause it's a fun hobby.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

lpjazzman220

the level design in quake 3 and unreal tournament was much better...also...look at the old school fps game all ur quakes and unreal and duke nukem and jedi knights and half life...the levels were so much more complex and much longer and much more interesting...so if ur definition of better is point A to point B and kill inifinately respawning enenmies until u go the maybe 300 yards in a very simple map then yes you are correct...but i preferred the old level design that was so far behind

duke nukem was walking through a maze and killing enemies.
jedi knights was walking through a maze and killing enemies.
half life was walking through a maze and killing enemies.
Most of them are just going from point A to B and killing everything in your way.

This gen was really try to get away from the older FPS level of going from point A to B as they only point of the game. They try adding stealth, defending a location, riding shotgun and more. They try to open the area up with more than just the limited area you must use.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

[QUOTE="theswede88"]... But I have to say that some times they can go over board, and not only CoD itself, but other games a well...that they find out the the new game is selling so good, they have to realise another game that it pretty much the same, but just with some "upgrades" and some different missions, theswede88

Assassin's Creed anyone?

We;; there is one game that haven't been out for that long, but now has what 3-4 games, And what i could read from one of GameSpots news, that they are now coming out with a Assassin Creed - Brother Hood da vinci?!

Da Vinci is a DLC expansion pack.

Also, Brotherhood was fantastic and added plenty to the franchise, including multiplayer.

theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 theswede88
I like Brother hood, its a good game, but my point of view was that assassin creed is doing what CoD are doing, investing in the game that sells best atm
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts
Its sort of like when Mario 64 was released. The 3D platformer reinvented the genre. After this game, there was an onslaught of 3D platforming games... most of which were not good! Unfortunately we are in the era of the FPS and like you have pointed out, it happens to be COD. It probably wont be until another breakthrough game (whichever genre this may be) occurs that we can move on from the developers attempting to ride the curtails of COD.
kramer_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#65 kramer_inc
Member since 2008 • 1303 Posts

I love theCall of Duty sp campaigns and since I don't really play multiplay hackers don't bother me.

Jeeeza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66 Jeeeza
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts
I think Quake 3 Arena ruined gaming far before that.
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#67 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

No. That would be Call of Duty 4. The first game and its expansion were amazing... the second and third games were alright, but still pretty decent. It is when Activision stole the spotlight from everyone else and realized that all the mainstream gamers want is to waste money on the same game every year. And Activision and CoD weren't the first to do this.

foxhound_fox

Please don't tell me you actually thought CoD3 was better than CoD4 and MW2..?:? CoD3 was just plain awful, hatred towards Activision/IW aside, CoD3 and Big Red One were absolutely awful and the worst in the series no question.

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

People just play it because its sooooo simple. really just need to know two buttons to play. My mom can play it.

rangegear
yeh i agree there true gamers are now being outnumbered by these fake gamers who just want a quick fix of cod, I just wish Gabe Newell would release half life 3 so we can get a new Counter Strike and then the true gaming days will be back
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Chickan_117

Da Vinci is a DLC expansion pack.

Also, Brotherhood was fantastic and added plenty to the franchise, including multiplayer.

Grammaton-Cleric

Multiplayer was a great addition (even though it's buggy to the point of being useless) but the rest of it was minor updates to the AC1 game. I loved the game, it's length, the story (oh man the story was amazing) but it's not a far cry from AC1. I guess what I found annoying about it was that they seemed to rush out another Ezio game rather than a new fully fleshed assassin as the franchise was selling well. It felt like a bit of a cash in to me. Sort of like the missing memories from AC2. That felt like a full game with bits removed to sell later as DLC.

hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts
I think a lot of people misunderstood my point...but I suppose it was my fault for the thread title I've used. I'm not solely pointing the finger at COD, for me its just part of a cohort of games that have shaped the gaming norm these days. If I was being more pedantic then I should have added the likes of Gears of War, Killzone and Halo next to COD. It just seems that for every Okami, Ico, and Shenmues we get, we also get 30 or so clones of COD, Halo, Gears of War, Resident Evil etc. That was much less the case generations back.