Call of Duty has ruined gaming.

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts

(TL;DR at bottom)

Right, thought I'd dive deep into some controversy - I honestly think that games like Call of Duty have lowered gaming standards these days. Allow me to explain.

Now COD is by no means a bad game, heck you could argue that its a very polished title with very little flaws and is itself very well presented as I'm sure most of you will point out. My quarrel with it however isn't its technical shortcomings (which it doesn't lack), but rather its lacking of originality.

Cast yourself back over a decade ago or even beyond when we had developers experimenting with innovative gaming ideas all of which were very original - we had Yu Suzuki giving us the brilliant Shenmue games which were so far ahead of their time, we had enjoyed terrific stories from Lucas adventures such as Grim Fandango and Monkey Island, and furthermore we truly had barrier-breaking, astonishing titles such as Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7 and Deus Ex which had raised the bar in the gaming world.

Nowadays that same bravery and indulgence into originality has been replaced by a soulless attempt to cash in at the so-called 'safe-selling' games, i.e. games that are not necessary ground-breaking, but rather following a common formula that will most likely appeal to those looking for a quick action fix, typical in games like COD, gears of war or what have you. It seems every game released nowadays is a shameless clone of Call of Duty or Gears of War, if it wasn't already bad enough that those franchises already re-release the same game every year under the guise of a sequel. It sets a depressing precedence, where you forget about innovative ideas and simply go for the fool-proof formula of creating a game with bald, space marines killing terrorists, Nazis, aliens all in a very short single player campaign, while the multiplayer is nothing but an unimaginative fragfest with annoying pre-pubescent children shouting down the voice comm.

Now I appreciate that there are some gems being released out there today, but sadly they don't seem to get much attention and its only indie developers which tend to be brave enough to put em out there, most likely resulting in poor sales and discouraging them from continuing their work. Hence we get this almost Darwinian system where the only games that are left to saturate the market are shameless spinoffs of games like Call of Duty.

Another thing I should note is that I'm not solely blaming the Call of Duty series here, its just the game I happen to think of when I evaluate what is IMO - an era defined with a fall in gaming originality.

TL;DR: Games like Call of Duty have ruined gaming because every game tries to mimic its success by copying its unimaginative formula, not being brave enough to experiment with the originality we were spoiled with in previous gaming generations.

This isn't just a rant by the way, I'm curious to hear what other people have to say on the issue.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

"stale" franchises exist since the pong days, COD is nothing new

Avatar image for darkassassin911
darkassassin911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 darkassassin911
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

I actually agree with you. I honestlyhate the CoD games a lot after trying out Modern Warfare 2, it was just the same as CoD 4 and the number of hackers I found were astounding, every game I went to had a hacker and every firefight was won using dropshots. But I think there are some really great shooters, like Bad Company 2, it doesnt copy anything from CoD, and I really am hoping to get Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition soon.

Bottom Line- I agree with you

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

Actually the original COD gamesbrought a breath of fresh air to what was a really stale fps genre. I would argue COD didn't ruin gaming, but that Activision ruined COD. What we have now is so far from what COD used to be.

hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hama666

Actually the original COD gamesbrought a breath of fresh air to what was a really stale fps genre. I would argue COD didn't ruin gaming, but that Activision ruined COD. What we have now is so far from what COD used to be.

ElPadilla
That's a fair enough point I suppose. I remember being very impressed with the original Call of Duty, the battle of Stalingrad was particularly memorable. Beyond that though it was just soullessly milked by Activision, who just forced out annual re-releases with very little differencs. You could argue that MW's setting was a breath of fresh air, but the truth was it was more or less the same game with a different skin.....which also saw annual re-releases with close to zero changes.
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

I actually agree with you. I honestlyhate the CoD games a lot after trying out Modern Warfare 2, it was just the same as CoD 4 and the number of hackers I found were astounding, every game I went to had a hacker and every firefight was won using dropshots. But I think there are some really great shooters, like Bad Company 2, it doesnt copy anything from CoD, and I really am hoping to get Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition soon.

Bottom Line- I agree with you

darkassassin911

A sequel is basically the same thing but with a whole mess of improvment. Same thing can be said for bad company 2 if you ever played the first one. They added new stuff since 4 so if you acutually played it rather just follow everyone and hating it then you should know. Theres tons of hackers but what do you except from a billion dollar game? Theres bound to be hackers so I don't see why thats a suprise (they fixed it btw the whole point of a patch...). Drop shooting is just something that people can use just likehow camper friendly Bad Company 2 was with the motion sensor. If everyone was winning firefights vs you by drop shotting, why don't you adapt and drop shot yourself? I'm not saying COD is perfect but the same things have been said for the COD series for a while now... how its the same, hacker everwhere, noobs drop shoting, etc.

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

People just play it because its sooooo simple. really just need to know two buttons to play. My mom can play it.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

People just play it because its sooooo simple. really just need to know two buttons to play. My mom can play it.

rangegear

yep his mom play CoD.. i know ...

jk jk im sorry you set yourself up for that one

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The title makes this thread sound like a CoD troll thread, I suggest renaming it. On topic: back in the day gaming was still a largely unexplored territory, but nowadays original ideas are getting harder to come by, but there still are a few: sure, we're in the sequel age, but as long as we get games like Heavy Rain every now and again, it shows there's still originality in the industry
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
COD1 was very innovative when it came out. Unfortunately/fortunately it hasn't changed since.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
The title makes this thread sound like a CoD troll thread, I suggest renaming it. On topic: back in the day gaming was still a largely unexplored territory, but nowadays original ideas are getting harder to come by, but there still are a few: sure, we're in the sequel age, but as long as we get games like Heavy Rain every now and again, it shows there's still originality in the industryBlack_Knight_00
what was original about heavy rain?
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The problem I have is they other game makers see the sells that CoD is having and want it to. The problem is when they take out not out bad complexity but the meaningful depth so that anyone can pick up the game and play with without some thought behind it. Worse is when people try to say they are not and you should just turn but the challenge level.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
In the "golden era" of gaming plenty of devs aped the design of other successful games. That is not the sudden and new phenomenon you make it out to be.
killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]COD1 was very innovative when it came out. Unfortunately/fortunately it hasn't changed since.

Medal of honor COD father.
Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
You can't reinvent the wheel every day and Shenmue as much as I love it was a sales disaster. A lot of the time I don't like change anyway. For example I would prefer FFXIII play more like FFVII, Oblivion like Morrowind or DA2 like DA1. The only place where marketability is not the focus is with user created content, mods and such. Also to milk a franchise you have to create a good original game that sets itself apart from the competition in the first place. Who even remembers many of the Doom clones during that era? I can think of a few off the top of my head but none of these series are around today with the possible exception of of Duke if Forever is actually going to be released some day.
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hama666
In the "golden era" of gaming plenty of devs aped the design of other successful games. That is not the sudden and new phenomenon you make it out to be.RandoIph
No you're right, devs trying to mimic the success of rivals is no new phenomenon, but nowadays it's been escalated to an all time high, catalysed by games like CoD. I suppose another key difference was that back then the big hitters were actually terrific titles in their own right: Half life, Ocarina of time, FF7 to name a few were immensely popular as well as being highly innovative. It wouldn't have been a bad thing for other devs to mimic such games, in fact the success of such games would have encouraged many to dive into some imaginative concepts. They were perfect models to draw inspiration from. Whereas there's nothing inspiring about COD clones and the like.
ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts
Not for me, I don't care to play the vast majority of the games this generation. Because of this I have resorted to older games of previous generations, gaming has never been better.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Nintendo fan and proud.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

"Activisionhas ruined gaming."

There you go, all fixed...

--Quadkillz--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 --Quadkillz--
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]COD1 was very innovative when it came out. Unfortunately/fortunately it hasn't changed since.

I'm sorry but you don't know what the word innovate means. It innovated nothing.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

There have been rip offs from successful games since mario. Now you're saying there have been many devs trying to follow their footsteps. Could you make a list of games that have been trying to be like COD? Because all I see are new games being released and not one cod rip off.

So far I've seen bulletstorm, crysis 2 and bfbc2 since cod4. Sure there probably are rip offs but they didn't even make good sales. We are still being offered good games and those are the only ones making good sales.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

ElPadilla

I completely agree with this. The first CoD was beyond excellent. It had finally polished a decent FPS to a standard not seen before. The attention to detail is amazing. If you visit pegasus bridge it is genuinally spooky how close the in game environment matches the real world environment. Almost down to the trees.

Activision however failed to really continue this momentum beyond CoD4 which I believe was the last solid CoD title which bought anything new at all. While I still love the games, I love them because of my love of the previous incarnations.

If developers are failing to innovate it's not neccesarily CoD's fault, it's the developers failing to get enough excitement behind a new idea or gameplay mechanic due to a lack of confidence in the market. If I've noticed anything from being a member of the Gamespot community it's that gamers aren't idiots. They know a good game and a game that pushes boundaries. While yes if developers were to release a game which drifted from the CoD style too much then they may lose some of their casual gamer market but I don't believe they'd lose out on such a large proportion that they wouldn't make sales comparable to before the CoD era. These developers that copy the CoD recipe are lacking in confidence and or are just being unfortunately drawn towards the blockbuster profits and style that CoD demonstrates. So I'd put it to you that while CoD has unfortunatly shown no innovative ideas since CoD4, it did innovate back in 2003? and that the disppareance of frequent new releases by developers that are innovative and that push boundaries are not due to CoD's success but to the abscence of confidence in numerous developers.

Plus I think its worthy of note that we haven't completely lost all these innovative classic games. Final Fantasy, Deus Ex, Skyrim to name just a few are in my opinion prime candidates for games whose developers are still innovating and they all have imminent release dates.

Stressthesky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stressthesky
Member since 2009 • 490 Posts

Why aren't there more people ripping on New Super Mario Bros for the Wii? As far as I'm concerned, it's good but it doesn't bring any originality.

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

[QUOTE="RandoIph"]In the "golden era" of gaming plenty of devs aped the design of other successful games. That is not the sudden and new phenomenon you make it out to be.hama666
No you're right, devs trying to mimic the success of rivals is no new phenomenon, but nowadays it's been escalated to an all time high, catalysed by games like CoD. I suppose another key difference was that back then the big hitters were actually terrific titles in their own right: Half life, Ocarina of time, FF7 to name a few were immensely popular as well as being highly innovative. It wouldn't have been a bad thing for other devs to mimic such games, in fact the success of such games would have encouraged many to dive into some imaginative concepts. They were perfect models to draw inspiration from. Whereas there's nothing inspiring about COD clones and the like.

How many studios have closed in the past 10 years? While it is a bit depressing to see genres become oversaturated, with as much as it costs to develop a game anymore they do have to look at the bottom line quite a bit more than they ever had to before. The whole risk/reward thing. Playing it safe has a better chance to bring profit, especially if you are a smaller development house. Thats not to say creative(while not necessarily innovative...a term that is frankly overused) games aren't there. Plenty of games have offered unique experiences out there, and the xbox/psn/wii marketplace has given smaller devs the chance to flex their creative muscles.

That said, Call of Duty has ruined nothing; the consumer has. If it wasn't for the consumer Activision wouldn't even care about the franchise, but since it is bought in droves, Activision and their blatent displays of greed will pump them out every year with Kotick probably saying something stupid like "We should feel grateful that they do."

So like I said: consumers. It's their fault.

Oh on a side note, I have to cringe at the statement that FFVII was innovative. It wasn't.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

I think that someone forgot how many generic beat em ups and platformers there was on the SNES and Genesis, for example. This is not a new phenomenon. Speak up with your money and support indie developers and original games in general.

Gamerstevo666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gamerstevo666
Member since 2011 • 50 Posts
I woudn't say it has ruined gaming, but every FPS is basicly cod but with a different cover, same with the cod series.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#27 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Actually if we want to point fingers. I blame Halo for the whole FPS thing exploding. Funny thing is though, Halo actually manages to still be fun :P
lucidparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lucidparadox
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Yes it has.
NerdyDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NerdyDonut
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts

Call of Duty hasn't ruined gaming but it's definitely changed the FPS genre. These days, the market is dominated by FPS's which are all trying to sponge of the success of Call of Duty. The franchise has now become really casual and lazy in my opinion. The developers are just using the same formula in every game but the problem truly lies with Activision. They obviously want developers to continue using this incredibly popular formula because it makes them millions upon millions of dollars and they decide that they want to release a new Call of Duty every year to keep the money coming in. They are running the series into the ground and eventually it will go down the same road as Guitar Hero and Tony Hawks. I personally don't like Call of Duty apart from a few of the earlier titles but there are lots of people who do and who enjoy playing it.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
No you're right, devs trying to mimic the success of rivals is no new phenomenon, but nowadays it's been escalated to an all time high, catalysed by games like CoD.hama666
I lived that era, it's not any worse now than it was then. You're blowing things out of proportion.
dirtydishko2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dirtydishko2
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

(TL;DR at bottom)

Right, thought I'd dive deep into some controversy - I honestly think that games like Call of Duty have lowered gaming standards these days. Allow me to explain.

Now COD is by no means a bad game, heck you could argue that its a very polished title with very little flaws and is itself very well presented as I'm sure most of you will point out. My quarrel with it however isn't its technical shortcomings (which it doesn't lack), but rather its lacking of originality.

Cast yourself back over a decade ago or even beyond when we had developers experimenting with innovative gaming ideas all of which were very original - we had Yu Suzuki giving us the brilliant Shenmue games which were so far ahead of their time, we had enjoyed terrific stories from Lucas adventures such as Grim Fandango and Monkey Island, and furthermore we truly had barrier-breaking, astonishing titles such as Ocarina of time, Final Fantasy 7 and Deus Ex which had raised the bar in the gaming world.

Nowadays that same bravery and indulgence into originality has been replaced by a soulless attempt to cash in at the so-called 'safe-selling' games, i.e. games that are not necessary ground-breaking, but rather following a common formula that will most likely appeal to those looking for a quick action fix, typical in games like COD, gears of war or what have you. It seems every game released nowadays is a shameless clone of Call of Duty or Gears of War, if it wasn't already bad enough that those franchises already re-release the same game every year under the guise of a sequel. It sets a depressing precedence, where you forget about innovative ideas and simply go for the fool-proof formula of creating a game with bald, space marines killing terrorists, Nazis, aliens all in a very short single player campaign, while the multiplayer is nothing but an unimaginative fragfest with annoying pre-pubescent children shouting down the voice comm.

Now I appreciate that there are some gems being released out there today, but sadly they don't seem to get much attention and its only indie developers which tend to be brave enough to put em out there, most likely resulting in poor sales and discouraging them from continuing their work. Hence we get this almost Darwinian system where the only games that are left to saturate the market are shameless spinoffs of games like Call of Duty.

Another thing I should note is that I'm not solely blaming the Call of Duty series here, its just the game I happen to think of when I evaluate what is IMO - an era defined with a fall in gaming originality.

TL;DR: Games like Call of Duty have ruined gaming because every game tries to mimic its success by copying its unimaginative formula, not being brave enough to experiment with the originality we were spoiled with in previous gaming generations.

This isn't just a rant by the way, I'm curious to hear what other people have to say on the issue.

hama666
As much as some of you may disagree, gaming is not a pure art form. Video games are a mindless hobby, and every once and a while one may make you think. But for the most part, video gaming is a solitary hobby, one that has no merit outside of itself. If every single game strived to be as original and as different as possible, our catalog of games would be an incoherent mess of trendy and pretentious titles. The industry needs games like COD. They provide mindless entertainment. That's what the majority of gamers want, whether they express it outright or not.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

I don't think the video games market is asbland as the OP suggests. There is a great variety in the titles released and, whilst the FPS genre may have stagnated a little, that's hardly the sum total of gaming. What has happened is that the gaming market has blossomed into something reminiscant of the movie industry. How many truly unique mainstream movies are there being released today?

What this results in is thatthe success of a game or movie is predominantly measured by the sales figure achieved. With this being the case publishers concentrate on titles that will make them the big dollars, games that will sell year on year and will earn continued revenue from DLC. So does this ruin gaming as a whole? Well yes and no, it certainly floods the market with a larger range of similar titles but, at the same time, it injects funding and allows other titles to get made that may otherwise have been missed.

The majority of people don't want new and innovative titles, if they did then titles like COD and their map packs wouldn't sell! If you want something innovative have a look at motion gaming or 3D. A game can be innovative in it's story or in it's method of delivery. I can almost guarantee you that the majority of gamers buying yearly titles are multiplayer gamers who don't really care about the SP story of a game as long as the MP is what they want. Therefore where's the money to be made in coming up with a truly unique or new story? Alan Wake is a great example.

Also this isn't just a COD or FPS issue. It's been happening for years. The majority of platformers used to emulate Mario, JRPGS all looked like a Squaresoft production and truly innovative titles were few and far between. Hell most kart racers still look like Mario Kart and the latest Super MArio Bros and Metroid are very similar to the original titles on NES so how far have we come? Add to this that one of the strongest selling, non FPS, games on the PS3 are all the remakes and it's clear that the money just isn't in innovation.

All that aside the video gaming market still needs it's innovative titles pushing the genres forward. Thre will always be a mix of good and bad but we're now at a point where you have to look a little harder if you're after something different. There are plenty of awesome titles being released so gaming is far from ruined or stagnant, people just have to look a little harder, same as with movies or novels.

Avatar image for paranoidpixie95
paranoidpixie95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 paranoidpixie95
Member since 2009 • 2198 Posts

I don't think the video games market is asbland as the OP suggests. There is a great variety in the titles released and, whilst the FPS genre may have stagnated a little, that's hardly the sum total of gaming. What has happened is that the gaming market has blossomed into something reminiscant of the movie industry. How many truly unique mainstream movies are there being released today?

What this results in is thatthe success of a game or movie is predominantly measured by the sales figure achieved. With this being the case publishers concentrate on titles that will make them the big dollars, games that will sell year on year and will earn continued revenue from DLC. So does this ruin gaming as a whole? Well yes and no, it certainly floods the market with a larger range of similar titles but, at the same time, it injects funding and allows other titles to get made that may otherwise have been missed.

The majority of people don't want new and innovative titles, if they did then titles like COD and their map packs wouldn't sell! If you want something innovative have a look at motion gaming or 3D. A game can be innovative in it's story or in it's method of delivery. I can almost guarantee you that the majority of gamers buying yearly titles are multiplayer gamers who don't really care about the SP story of a game as long as the MP is what they want. Therefore where's the money to be made in coming up with a truly unique or new story? Alan Wake is a great example.

Also this isn't just a COD or FPS issue. It's been happening for years. The majority of platformers used to emulate Mario, JRPGS all looked like a Squaresoft production and truly innovative titles were few and far between. Hell most kart racers still look like Mario Kart and the latest Super MArio Bros and Metroid are very similar to the original titles on NES so how far have we come? Add to this that one of the strongest selling, non FPS, games on the PS3 are all the remakes and it's clear that the money just isn't in innovation.

All that aside the video gaming market still needs it's innovative titles pushing the genres forward. Thre will always be a mix of good and bad but we're now at a point where you have to look a little harder if you're after something different. There are plenty of awesome titles being released so gaming is far from ruined or stagnant, people just have to look a little harder, same as with movies or novels.

Chickan_117

Damn, wish I could come up with stuff like that... did this take up most of your day, Chickan?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Damn, wish I could come up with stuff like that... did this take up most of your day, Chickan?

paranoidpixie95

Nah, just 10 minutes or so. It's easy to write when you have a strong opinion on atopic ;) Thanks tho.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I wouldn't say it's ruined it, but the flood of unoriginal, military FPS's sure is annoying.

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts
[QUOTE="--Quadkillz--"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]COD1 was very innovative when it came out. Unfortunately/fortunately it hasn't changed since.

I'm sorry but you don't know what the word innovate means. It innovated nothing.

It cloned something that was innovative at least. Anyway, agreed, it's too generic as of now, I want to see more masterpieces these days that include those moments that just make you wanna cry...the last masterpiece I played was MGS: peace walker, and just because it says "METAL GEAR SOLID" on the box kinda sets you up for that *snicker* Thus, I shall respectfully friend you.
MaddogQ80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MaddogQ80
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

i want something original that doesnt suck. im ssick of sequels

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

There's still plenty of originality in games that have come out recently, and much of the originality of early games came out of ridiculous ideas that could be supported because games didn't really need a plot.

Plus, much in the way some genres currently seem stale, many genres of the past also had problems with originality.

Go play a bunch of NES/SNES platformers and notice how almost all of them have a fire world, ice world, water levels, etc. Many stage gimmicks within these worlds are also similar.

For another example, look at the plots in various JRPGs of the SNES era. Many of them are strikingly similar.

Now, I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing. Some of my favourite series are the Castlevania series and the Megaman series, and they haven't innovated much since their beginnings.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

naw..

CoD4 was a good game and people are just observing that and making their own games after taking notes...

it has improved gaming...shooters before CoD were lame...or maybe people didnt like them as much...CoD broght shooters to the masses.a good thing.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

"stale" franchises exist since the pong days, COD is nothing new

JuarN18
like pokemon, tom raider,finat fantasy. Nex gen they changed, same will happen with cod. What ruined gaming is gamedevelopers who are so stubborn to copy cod rather making something of their own.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I would argue COD didn't ruin gaming, but that Activision ruined COD. ElPadilla
I agree with this, its the money hungry super publishers which are ruining the originality and change IMO
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The first Call of Duty was actually quite original, as it broke away from the one-man-army convention common to shooters and actually made you feel like a small part of of a much larger battle. Gears of War also is highly influential in the fact that it perfected the cover mechanic to a degree unprecedented. But you are correct in that most other shooters now are basically clones of one or the other.
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

i disagree. gaming isn't ruined. i just think your overreacting. there are loads of great games i want to play, in fact more games than i have the time and money to play.

kratos223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kratos223
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Gaming is ruend.
theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 theswede88
Member since 2011 • 97 Posts
I can understand what people are saying that CoD is just a "Simple game"... as it's simple to play, but I have to say that CoD have done well for many years, As other people on this discussion mentioned I too can remember the first time the first CoD came out to PC, loved the game, it was new, standing out and the online gaming was pretty good, the solo missions was deffo standing out, Stalingrad ( WoW ) but as activision then found out that this is selling( Yea great!) but then they spoiled the game(s) by coming back to the same kind of gaming all the time, got a little bit boring thb, Sense the realised the new title with the modern war they clearly were the best game out there, as It was new, but I also think why it sold so goos was because it was COD! a very known game, and that they did finally find out that WW2 gaming can be boring at the end, but I don't think they harmed FPS... But I have to say that some times they can go over board, and not only CoD itself, but other games a well...that they find out the the new game is selling so good, they have to realise another game that it pretty much the same, but just with some "upgrades" and some different missions, Like BF, Bf did good with 1942, and then BF2 fort PC, thought BF lost the touch after 2142 or whatever it was called, BF: Bad Company I did liked as it was new, fresh in away for the gaming as you could pretty much destroy everything with in a eye site, New type of gamings, the sounds in the game is very good, ( To bad they can't combine BF with CoD) anyway... But now they are realising BF2 Vietnam, a I don't know about this one, feels like they are stepping back the old thing again.. I love FF7 and 8, Original games, standing out! a new kind of game play, but yet again ( no offense, might be wrong) but it feels as after realising so many FF titels I yet again kinda lost the taste for the game, I think its like a movie, First movie awesome, 2nd, OK, third, taking it too far... I don't know, I think this is a argument that can and prob will go on for a good while...
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No. That would be Call of Duty 4. The first game and its expansion were amazing... the second and third games were alright, but still pretty decent. It is when Activision stole the spotlight from everyone else and realized that all the mainstream gamers want is to waste money on the same game every year. And Activision and CoD weren't the first to do this.

theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 theswede88

No. That would be Call of Duty 4. The first game and its expansion were amazing... the second and third games were alright, but still pretty decent. It is when Activision stole the spotlight from everyone else and realized that all the mainstream gamers want is to waste money on the same game every year. And Activision and CoD weren't the first to do this.

foxhound_fox
Ah, forgot that game LOL!, anyway, Im with you on that they did do some good expansions but they were stock on WW2 for a very long time, and it did get a little bit boring tbh...and yes other games have done this as well (Halo)... And yea they did steal the spotlight for other games...
Ewan-Lumsden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ewan-Lumsden
Member since 2011 • 95 Posts

Gaming used to be a variety of games, now GAMING is COD more or less. COD takes over the majority of online users on the PSN system. I like COD but it is taking over gaming a bit.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts

This happens EVERY TIME there is a wildly successful franchise. Doom, Mario, Sonic, Street Fighter 2, none of those games have ruined gaming, and neither hs CoD.

theswede88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theswede88

This happens EVERY TIME there is a wildly successful franchise. Doom, Mario, Sonic, Street Fighter 2, none of those games have ruined gaming, and neither hs CoD.

NuclearNerd
I can understand your point of view that there are many games out there trying to make a game as CoD, and yea there were maybe a bit selfish in a way when the were realising so many games in such a short time, but I don't think that its anything to blame CoD for, I mean CS was one of the first FPS out there, CoD and MoH try to create and expend the world of FPS, CoD was more successful when it came to the FPS gaming world, but look how big CS was back in the 90's and still are one of the worlds biggest LAN and online FPS out there, other games like BF and MoH ( back then ) did rly good for them self, CoD have just been lucky... But as they are one of the biggest games out there they will get the blame, but what happend if BF was big? Would be started blaming them for destroying FPS?!