Beyond: Two Souls demo impressions thread

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I got  the Beyond demo early and holy crap this game is gorgeous. If you liked Heavy Rain this will blow your mind. It has the same control scheme, except they got rid of that "R2 to walk" bullshit, the ghost mechanic is absolutely great: the transition is seamless and there's so much stuff you can interact with and cause a mess, scare people and who knows what else. The story is once again dynamic: there is no checkpoint reload if you fail, you just deal with the consequences of messing up, but unlike Heavy Rain there doesn't seem to be any permanent strike against you for f*cking up bad (i.e. permadeath of a protagonist). Combat is once again QTEs, so if you had a problem with that in HR you may still impact with it here. The acting is simply stellar, both in terms of 3D models and voice acting-facial animations. The plot seems to be a really involving paranormal thriller with solid characters and good set pieces.

Can't wait for this game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Thanks for the impressions. While I recognized that it wasn't perfect, I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond looks like it will continue 2013's stream of awesome.

I know PS Plus subscribers are supposed to be able to play the demo today, but I wasn't able to find it this morning. Did I miss it somehow or did you get it another way?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
feel free to give me a PS3 I won't stop you ;)
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Black_Knight_00

Thanks for the impressions. While I recognized that it wasn't perfect, I loved Heavy Rain and Beyond looks like it will continue 2013's stream of awesome.

I know PS Plus subscribers are supposed to be able to play the demo today, but I wasn't able to find it this morning. Did I miss it somehow or did you get it another way?

CarnageHeart
I got a voucher from gamestop's facebook page. Maybe you can still catch one of the few remaining
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Willem Dafoe is my favorite PS3 exclusive.

I actually really enjoyed the demo. I didn't know what to expect since I never played Heavy Rain, but I dug the whole "interactive storytelling" thing. Some of the QTE's, especially any involving the sixaxis caught me off guard, but I got a hang of it quickly. Also thought it was neat how there didn't seem to be a game over screen, failing an QTE just results in a different outcome. 

I kind of wish October wasn't so packed so I could get this Day 1, but with Batman and BF4 hitting, Beyond will unfortunately have to wait. 

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

It has the same control scheme, except they got rid of that "R2 to walk" bullshit, 

Black_Knight_00

in heavy rain ... the R2 to walk bs was eliminate if u r using ps-move

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I wasn't a fan of the Heavy Rain demo so I never played that, but after playing Beyond I'm thinking I'm going to have to pick up this game.  The story alone has me interested, but the last part of the demo was pretty cool.  My only issue was the part of the demo when running through the forest how it was difficult to know which direction I was going in after the fight with the dogs and I ended up running into a bunch of trees and rocks before getting to where I had to go.  I do wish there was more involved gameplay for some of the sections they showed in previews, but I'm getting hooked on the story so I think that'll have me giving this game a try (supernatural/sci-fi stuff always has the potential to get my attention).

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

David Cage continues his tradition of insane control schemes, nonsensical QTEs, and bizarre writing and scenarios.

-Dozens of cops fighting Ellen Page on top of a moving train in a storm for some reason.
-Cop cars that have no divider between the front and back seat, allowing for one of the silliest stranglings I've ever seen.
-Nearly incomprehensible QTEs.
-A chase through the woods where it's too f*cking dark to see where you're going or what you're doing.
-Tank controls.
-No way to restart a chapter or checkpoint.
-No way to skip cutscenes. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Black_Knight_00

David Cage continues his tradition of insane control schemes, nonsensical QTEs, and bizarre writing and scenarios.

-Dozens of cops fighting Ellen Page on top of a moving train in a storm for some reason.
-Cop cars that have no divider between the front and back seat, allowing for one of the silliest stranglings I've ever seen.
-A chase through the woods where it's too f*cking dark to see where you're going or what you're doing.
-Tank controls.

Pffrbt
I don't think any of those points is valid. 1. It's an action-focused game, pretty much Bourne with Ellen Page and ghosts. Don't go expecting realism 2. The ghost strangles the cop. Pay closer attention. 3. QTEs are as simple as they come, just tilt the stick in the direction of the character's hands 4. Disorientation is the whole point of that chase sequence 5. Controls are fine 6. The whole point of the game is no checkpoints and no chapter reload cheating 7. Why would you want to skip cutscenes when you can't see them twice, ever, since there are no checkpoints? Clearly not your kind of game.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pffrbt

I don't think any of those points is valid. 1. It's an action-focused game, pretty much Bourne with Ellen Page and ghosts. Don't go expecting realism 2. The ghost strangles the cop. Pay closer attention. 3. QTEs are as simple as they come, just tilt the stick in the direction of the character's hands 4. Disorientation is the whole point of that chase sequence 5. Controls are fine 6. The whole point of the game is no checkpoints and no chapter reload cheating 7. Why would you want to skip cutscenes when you can't see them twice, ever, since there are no checkpoints? Clearly not your kind of game.Black_Knight_00

1. It being action focused isn't an excuse for unintentional stupidity, especially if the game is stressing maturity and realism (and yes you can tell a realistic story involving the supernatural, so don't use that cop-out). 

2. I never specified who strangled the cop, so I don't know why you're acting like you're correcting me or something (and no, Aiden didn't strangle the cop, pay more attention). The point is how completely idiotic it is that there's no divider in the cop car that would prevent such a stupid thing from happening in the first place, like there is in real life. This is another example of David Cage just throwing logic and realism to the wind whenever it suits his needs.

3. This is easier said than done, considering how half the time it's impossible to f*cking see what's going on and there's no way to turn up the brightness in game.

4. Pretty sure the entire point of the chase sequence is to be "thrilling" and "intense". Not needlessly confuse and irritate the player.

5. Wow you sure put a lot of effort into this one. Sorry, no, the controls are not fine when human characters control like a f*cking bumpercar. There is no benefit to having characters control this sluggishly and make such wide turns.

6. It being the whole point doesn't exempt it from being annoying and stupid. If I want to restart for one reason or another I should be allowed to. Partway into the demo my HDMI cut out, and instead of simply letting me restart from a checkpoint and quickly catch up on what I missed, I had to restart the entire scenario from the beginning.

7. Because in the situation where I'm replaying a scenario to watch things unfold differently I'm obviously going to be seeing the same cutscenes more than once, and it would be nice to have the convenience of skipping them.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I don't think any of those points is valid. 1. It's an action-focused game, pretty much Bourne with Ellen Page and ghosts. Don't go expecting realism 2. The ghost strangles the cop. Pay closer attention. 3. QTEs are as simple as they come, just tilt the stick in the direction of the character's hands 4. Disorientation is the whole point of that chase sequence 5. Controls are fine 6. The whole point of the game is no checkpoints and no chapter reload cheating 7. Why would you want to skip cutscenes when you can't see them twice, ever, since there are no checkpoints? Clearly not your kind of game.Pffrbt

1. It being action focused isn't an excuse for unintentional stupidity, especially if the game is stressing maturity and realism (and yes you can tell a realistic story involving the supernatural, so don't use that cop-out). 

2. I never specified who strangled the cop, so I don't know why you're acting like you're correcting me or something (and no, Aiden didn't strangle the cop, pay more attention). The point is how completely idiotic it is that there's no divider in the cop car that would prevent such a stupid thing from happening in the first place, like there is in real life. This is another example of David Cage just throwing logic and realism to the wind whenever it suits his needs.

3. This is easier said than done, considering how half the time it's impossible to f*cking see what's going on and there's no way to turn up the brightness in game.

4. Pretty sure the entire point of the chase sequence is to be "thrilling" and "intense". Not needlessly confuse and irritate the player.

5. Wow you sure put a lot of effort into this one. Sorry, no, the controls are not fine when human characters control like a f*cking bumpercar. There is no benefit to having characters control this sluggishly and make such wide turns.

6. It being the whole point doesn't exempt it from being annoying and stupid. If I want to restart for one reason or another I should be allowed to. Partway into the demo my HDMI cut out, and instead of simply letting me restart from a checkpoint and quickly catch up on what I missed, I had to restart the entire scenario from the beginning.

7. Because in the situation where I'm replaying a scenario to watch things unfold differently I'm obviously going to be seeing the same cutscenes more than once, and it would be nice to have the convenience of skipping them.

As I said, clearly not your kind of game.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Black_Knight_00

I got a voucher from gamestop's facebook page. Maybe you can still catch one of the few remaining

I don't have a Facebook page so I guess I'll just wait for the demo to go into wide release.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

I don't have a Facebook page so I guess I'll just wait for the demo to go into wide release.

Check your inbox, I sent you a code
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart

I guess this is a good place to talk about the recent announcement that Beyond's budget is only $27 million (Heavy Rain's was 22). Very encouraging. As I've said before, I think a lot of mid-tier game studios have died because so many spent a lot of money trying to compete in established genres (which require lots of money because player expectations are set by genre leaders who spend 9 digit sums on game budgets).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/beyond-two-souls-budget-was-27-million-report-6414844

Beyond: Two Souls Screenshot 06/11/13 - 01

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I got a voucher from gamestop's facebook page. Maybe you can still catch one of the few remainingBlack_Knight_00

Thanks, you're the man.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

CarnageHeart

Thanks, you're the man.

You're very welcome. Post your impressions after you've played it, I'm probably going to give it another go and try to get different outcomes.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

I got  the Beyond demo early and holy crap this game is gorgeous. If you liked Heavy Rain this will blow your mind. It has the same control scheme, except they got rid of that "R2 to walk" bullshit, the ghost mechanic is absolutely great: the transition is seamless and there's so much stuff you can interact with and cause a mess, scare people and who knows what else. The story is once again dynamic: there is no checkpoint reload if you fail, you just deal with the consequences of messing up, but unlike Heavy Rain there doesn't seem to be any permanent strike against you for f*cking up bad (i.e. permadeath of a protagonist). Combat is once again QTEs, so if you had a problem with that in HR you may still impact with it here. The acting is simply stellar, both in terms of 3D models and voice acting-facial animations. The plot seems to be a really involving paranormal thriller with solid characters and good set pieces.

Black_Knight_00
Holy something something something that demo was awesome :) and if the demo is anything to go by this game will blow everything else out of the water. Only thing that annoyed me was Page. she should take Kristin stewart and jump in a lake somewhere and forget about acting :D
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jacanuk

-Tank controls.

Pffrbt
From the sounds of i think you took a wrong turn somewhere because all you said is you don't like what Beyond is. All your points are invalid.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I'll try the demo when it goes public but I really think I'm done with David Cage and his "games."

I hated Indigo Prophecy and while I finished Heavy Rain I loathed it afterwards. (I agree with Carnage about the game having some profound moments however)

I really can't see myself slogging through another QTE-fest for the sake of some mediocre narrative. (The third act of Heavy Rain went to absolute shit in terms of story)

Thanks for the impressions regardless.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Black_Knight_00

BK...thank you for sharing this....This game is definitely on my radar...

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#21 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
It feels good reading that. I was becoming a bit skeptic of this game when I saw some of the military action scenes. I'm hoping that isn't a big focus of the game. I don't mind some action here and there, but too much of that definitely wouldn't feel right for this sort of game. I enjoyed Heavy Rain quite a bit. It was mundane at points, but I liked being able to sit back and just enjoy the game without worrying about failing or anything, and I loved the decisions and several different paths the story took along the way. I look forward to seeing what this game has to offer, I feel it's going to be one of the last PS3 exclusives I'll be playing, unless there's some future PS3 exclusives I'm overlooking.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CarnageHeart

Just played through the demo three times. The Experiment section was incredible. Aiden starts off floating around three rooms. He can possess a researcher (possession is apparently ended by contact with another human) and mess with the equipment or he can be a good ghost and just kind of go over to the other room and read the cards like the researchers want him to. At one point the researchers ask Aiden to get physical and at that point it seems like the kid and the woman helping with the experiment are both doomed to have bad days. Aiden is asked to knock over some blocks, which he does, then he is asked to what else he can do. If you want to be nice, you just knock around a camera and a water bottle, retreating back into the kid when the woman freaks out (though you do keep the door locked briefly). If you want to be a jerk you can give the woman's chair the equivalent of a hard kick with her in it, knock over the table, start punching windows and then try to choke the woman to death (you can't succeed). When Aiden was nice everybody was kind of freaked out, when he was mean everybody was traumatized. Jodie is crying either way by the end of the session, but she has a serious nosebleed if Aiden stays out of her body in order to wreck the two rooms and choke the women.

The second segment of the demo starts off with combat training and ends with the train segment. You don't get prompts in some places, but those places clearly telegraph what you need to do (when Jodie is running and there is a low branch overhead she has to duck, if there is a log on the ground she has to jump, with failure translating into a hard fall which slows her up and puts her closer to capture). The big action setpiece is Jodie having her bike shot out from under her by a sniper and hiding behind a car, at which point she tells Aiden to go to town. Even in two playthroughs I haven't fully explored the possibilities but you can hop into soldiers (not every guy can be possesed) and shoot their buddies or choke guys to death or knock over a car and crush the men hiding against it, take over a helicopter pilot and making him crash and all sorts of fun stuff.

When Aiden is active Jodie seems to not be entirely in control of her body so there are a lot of scenarios where Aiden can't help. If Jodie is fighting, running or driving, then she won't (can't) cede control to Aiden because she can't function while Aiden does his thing.

You can fail most scenarios but at least in the demo locking up Jodie (which happened to me twice in my first playthrough) lets her let Aiden off the hook (he springs her).

Beyond Two Souls is an evolution of the gameplay in Heavy Rain so it isn't going to make people that hated Heavy Rain fall in love with it, but Heavy Rain fans should love it. The spoilertastic trailer at the end indicates that like in HR Jodie and Aiden are going to find themselves in a very wide range of scenarios.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pffrbt

As I said, clearly not your kind of game.Black_Knight_00

This is a cop-out response to avoid addressing criticism about any game. This is as bad as people on deviantart that ignore any kind of valid criticism because "it's just their style".

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pffrbt

From the sounds of i think you took a wrong turn somewhere because all you said is you don't like what Beyond is.
Funny since I actually enjoyed the demo.

All your points are invalid.Jacanuk

Wow you make a compelling argument.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pffrbt

I'll try the demo when it goes public but I really think I'm done with David Cage and his "games."

I hated Indigo Prophecy and while I finished Heavy Rain I loathed it afterwards. (I agree with Carnage about the game having some profound moments however)

I really can't see myself slogging through another QTE-fest for the sake of some mediocre narrative. (The third act of Heavy Rain went to absolute shit in terms of story)

Grammaton-Cleric

David Cage is a terrible writer and I'll never understand how anyone in their right mind could defend his stories. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]From the sounds of i think you took a wrong turn somewhere because all you said is you don't like what Beyond is.
Funny since I actually enjoyed the demo.

All your points are invalid.Pffrbt

Wow you make a compelling argument.

No argument is needed, you clearly misunderstood what kind of game Beyond is so your points are invalid because they are like complaining over water being wet. Also it seem you have a "dislike" of David Cage so of course this game isn't for you since its his game
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Pffrbt

David Cage is a terrible writer and I'll never understand how anyone in their right mind could defend his stories. 

Hmm, who in your opinion is a good writer?
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00
Hmm, who in your opinion is a good writer? Jacanuk
"Dear David Cage, please include more furry porn in your games. Yours truly, Pfrrtp"
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]As I said, clearly not your kind of game.Pffrbt

This is a cop-out response to avoid addressing criticism about any game. This is as bad as people on deviantart that ignore any kind of valid criticism because "it's just their style".

Still not your type of game. The genre is Beyond your appretiation.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Pffrbt

His stories are interactive. Bad, but interactive. I'l defend that any day.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt

No argument is needed, you clearly misunderstood what kind of game Beyond is so your points are invalid because they are like complaining over water being wet.Jacanuk

This kind of logic is just insane. You do realize that this kind of reasoning could be use to defend literally any game, right? "No you're wrong the game doesn't have problems it's just too deep for you to understand! The game is what it is therefore has no problems!"

Aside from that you have absolutely no idea what kind of expectations I had when playing the demo, so you have no room to accuse me of misunderstanding it. I've played and finished Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy, so I was expecting another QTE heavy game with terrible writing, and that's exactly what I got.

Hmm, who in your opinion is a good writer? Jacanuk

In general or for video games specifically?

"Dear David Cage, please include more furry porn in your games. Yours truly, Pfrrtp"Black_Knight_00

haha ad hominem

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pffrbt

His stories are interactive. Bad, but interactive. I'l defend that any day.Lulu_Lulu

Defend the ambition and idea behind interactive stories, but don't defend his writing. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pffrbt

Still not your type of game. The genre is Beyond your appretiation.Lulu_Lulu

Please explain how it isn't my type of game.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00

ad hominemPffrbt
Not really, your critique has been dissected and debunked by 5 different people, why indulge in redundancy? Mockery is more appropriate (and fun)

(PS: sorry Carnage, I'm bored)

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pffrbt

Not really, your critique has been dissected and debunked by 5 different peopleBlack_Knight_00

You're literally the only person that actually even addressed anything I said, and when I expanded on what I was saying you simply hand-waved it and said "no youre wrong the game isn't for you" without bothering to explain jack shit. Everyone else is just mimicing you because it's easier give cop-out responses than actually address valid points and observations made about the game. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Not really, your critique has been dissected and debunked by 5 different peoplePffrbt

You're literally the only person that actually even addressed anything I said, and when I expanded on what I was saying you simply hand-waved it and said "no youre wrong the game isn't for you" without bothering to explain jack shit. Everyone else is just mimicing you because it's easier give cop-out responses than actually address valid points and observations made about the game. 

I already addressed your points and so did other people in their own words, no one is "mimicking" me. You have made a subjective critique and passed it as objectively valid, also including gems such as "realistic story involving the supernatural" wich is a cute oxymoron, "impossible to f*cking see what's going on " when no one else is complaining about it. Complaining about a night time race for dear life through dark unfamiliar woods during a rainstorm being confusing is silly: if I were being chased by cops firing on me under such conditions I would be disoriented as well. Blaming the game for having to restart a 15 minutes *demo* because of your TV crapping out. Complaining about having to watch cutscenes again in a short *demo* when the game will obviously not be that short. Compaining about "incomprehensible" QTEs when they are simplicity incarnate. You clearly have a bias for Quantic Dream, which is fine, but acknowledge that bias lowers your tolerance level from the get-go. You are panning a game based on subjective nitpicks.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Just played through the demo three times. The Experiment section was incredible. Aiden starts off floating around three rooms. He can possess a researcher (possession is apparently ended by contact with another human) and mess with the equipment or he can be a good ghost and just kind of go over to the other room and read the cards like the researchers want him to. At one point the researchers ask Aiden to get physical and at that point it seems like the kid and the woman helping with the experiment are both doomed to have bad days. Aiden is asked to knock over some blocks, which he does, then he is asked to what else he can do. If you want to be nice, you just knock around a camera and a water bottle, retreating back into the kid when the woman freaks out (though you do keep the door locked briefly). If you want to be a jerk you can give the woman's chair the equivalent of a hard kick with her in it, knock over the table, start punching windows and then try to choke the woman to death (you can't succeed). When Aiden was nice everybody was kind of freaked out, when he was mean everybody was traumatized. Jodie is crying either way by the end of the session, but she has a serious nosebleed if Aiden stays out of her body in order to wreck the two rooms and choke the women.

The second segment of the demo starts off with combat training and ends with the train segment. You don't get prompts in some places, but those places clearly telegraph what you need to do (when Jodie is running and there is a low branch overhead she has to duck, if there is a log on the ground she has to jump, with failure translating into a hard fall which slows her up and puts her closer to capture). The big action setpiece is Jodie having her bike shot out from under her by a sniper and hiding behind a car, at which point she tells Aiden to go to town. Even in two playthroughs I haven't fully explored the possibilities but you can hop into soldiers (not every guy can be possesed) and shoot their buddies or choke guys to death or knock over a car and crush the men hiding against it, take over a helicopter pilot and making him crash and all sorts of fun stuff.

When Aiden is active Jodie seems to not be entirely in control of her body so there are a lot of scenarios where Aiden can't help. If Jodie is fighting, running or driving, then she won't (can't) cede control to Aiden because she can't function while Aiden does his thing.

You can fail most scenarios but at least in the demo locking up Jodie (which happened to me twice in my first playthrough) lets her let Aiden off the hook (he springs her).

Beyond Two Souls is an evolution of the gameplay in Heavy Rain so it isn't going to make people that hated Heavy Rain fall in love with it, but Heavy Rain fans should love it. The spoilertastic trailer at the end indicates that like in HR Jodie and Aiden are going to find themselves in a very wide range of scenarios.

CarnageHeart
I liked Heavy Rain and this exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for taking the time giving a detailed synopsis of your experience with the demo, Carnage. Speaking of experience, that's exactly how I took Heavy Rain. It was more than just interactivity and gameplay when I played it. It was the experience and I found it to be profound at times and different from other games I have experienced. To me, it's as close to a choose-your-own adventure book as you can get. I grew up on those and it's really cool to see that take shape in a video game.
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pffrbt

I already addressed your points and so did other people in their own words, no one is "mimicking" me.
Then point out where other people actually addressed what I said instead of simply saying "no the game isn't for you your points are invalid".

You have made a subjective critique and passed it as objectively valid
I never passed my opinion off as anything other than my opinion. You and others however are insisting that my own opinion is some how invalid and theirs somehow are.

also including gems such as "realistic story involving the supernatural" wich is a cute oxymoron
No, it isn't. There is absolutely no reason a story involving the paranormal can't be told realistically with an actual sense of logic. The presence of something paranormal isn't a license for everything else to not follow any kind of logic.

"impossible to f*cking see what's going on " when no one else is complaining about it.
Doesn't make my complaint less valid. There should at least be an option to turn up the brightness in game, since it's pretty much standard for games at this point.

Complaining about a night time race for dear life through dark unfamiliar woods during a rainstorm being confusing is silly: if I were being chased by cops firing on me under such conditions I would be disoriented as well.
There are better ways of disorienting players and making them feel scared and thrilled than just dropping them somewhere and have them wander around aimlessly. Alan Wake featured a night time chase through the woods with cops that managed to be far more effective and had a much better sense of direction and clarity.

Blaming the game for having to restart a 15 minutes *demo* because of your TV crapping out.
It being a demo is irrelevant considering the fact that there's no option to restart in the full game either. Why wouldn't I blame the game for the inability to restart when the game f*cking lacks the ability to restart.

Complaining about having to watch cutscenes again in a short *demo* when the game will obviously not be that short.
It being a demo is irrelevant because the full game prevents you from skipping cutscenes as well. If I want to skip a cutscene I should be able to.

Compaining about "incomprehensible" QTEs when they are simplicity incarnate.
How if it's nearly impossible to see sometimes, and sometime the game expects you to press in a direction before it even becomes clear what direction it wants.

You clearly have a bias for Quantic Dream, which is fine, but acknowledge that bias lowers your tolerance level from the get-go. You are panning a game based on subjective nitpicks.Black_Knight_00

Everyone has a bias, that's how opinions work. The act of panning the game is of course subjective, because if we were talking about the game objectively we would just be listing bullet points of what is and isn't in the game without giving an opinion one way or another, which would be f*cking pointless and stupid.

I have low expectations from Quantic Dream for completely valid reasons, the writing in their previous games was f*cking terrible, and I have no reason to expect anything different this time. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I already addressed your points and so did other people in their own words, no one is "mimicking" me.
Then point out where other people actually addressed what I said instead of simply saying "no the game isn't for you your points are invalid".

You have made a subjective critique and passed it as objectively valid
I never passed my opinion off as anything other than my opinion. You and others however are insisting that my own opinion is some how invalid and theirs somehow are.

also including gems such as "realistic story involving the supernatural" wich is a cute oxymoron
No, it isn't. There is absolutely no reason a story involving the paranormal can't be told realistically with an actual sense of logic. The presence of something paranormal isn't a license for everything else to not follow any kind of logic.

"impossible to f*cking see what's going on " when no one else is complaining about it.
Doesn't make my complaint less valid. There should at least be an option to turn up the brightness in game, since it's pretty much standard for games at this point.

Complaining about a night time race for dear life through dark unfamiliar woods during a rainstorm being confusing is silly: if I were being chased by cops firing on me under such conditions I would be disoriented as well.
There are better ways of disorienting players and making them feel scared and thrilled than just dropping them somewhere and have them wander around aimlessly. Alan Wake featured a night time chase through the woods with cops that managed to be far more effective and had a much better sense of direction and clarity.

Blaming the game for having to restart a 15 minutes *demo* because of your TV crapping out.
It being a demo is irrelevant considering the fact that there's no option to restart in the full game either. Why wouldn't I blame the game for the inability to restart when the game f*cking lacks the ability to restart.

Complaining about having to watch cutscenes again in a short *demo* when the game will obviously not be that short.
It being a demo is irrelevant because the full game prevents you from skipping cutscenes as well. If I want to skip a cutscene I should be able to.

Compaining about "incomprehensible" QTEs when they are simplicity incarnate.
How if it's nearly impossible to see sometimes, and sometime the game expects you to press in a direction before it even becomes clear what direction it wants.

You clearly have a bias for Quantic Dream, which is fine, but acknowledge that bias lowers your tolerance level from the get-go. You are panning a game based on subjective nitpicks.Pffrbt

Everyone has a bias, that's how opinions work. The act of panning the game is of course subjective, because if we were talking about the game objectively we would just be listing bullet points of what is and isn't in the game without giving an opinion one way or another, which would be f*cking pointless and stupid.

I have low expectations from Quantic Dream for completely valid reasons, the writing in their previous games was f*cking terrible, and I have no reason to expect anything different this time. 

Ok, first off: you can't see anything in the woods, you can't see QTE prompts, it's too dark..Your TV is dying, buy a new TV. That's 3 of your complaints solved right there.

Second, you abandon any pretense of realism when your game features a psychic superspy with a ghost on a soul leash. You are thinking of believability and suspension of disbelief, which are not the same thing as realism.

Third, the game is *made* so that you can't restart, if you have a problem with it that's your problem.

Fourth: cutscenes are unpredictably dotted with QTEs, which explains why they are unskippable, and again, this is only a problem in games which send you back ro checkpoints upon failure. Of course it's a problem in a short demo but the game will take you 10-15 hours to go through. If there was ever a game where unskippable cutscenes are not a problem, this is it, since you can't be sent back. You can't see a cutsce twice unless you restart the game from teh beginiing.

And it's not true that everyone has a bias. Nor everyone walks into a game thinking how much the prequels sucked and this will suck too.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]His stories are interactive. Bad, but interactive. I'l defend that any day.Pffrbt

Defend the ambition and idea behind interactive stories, but don't defend his writing. 

I didn't defend it, but maybe next time I'l try
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Still not your type of game. The genre is Beyond your appretiation.Pffrbt

sure, and when I'm done with that, Il teach you how not to trip over flat surfaces. I can't explain yourself to you, thats your job
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#44 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Get along, you two. Don't make me have to step in.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pffrbt

After playing through the demo a few more times I'm kind of disappointed that things don't really change regardless what you do. Even if you try to play a good Aiden and keep from scaring the woman you're not allowed to stop until she's terrified. Then if you do the opposite and really tear shit up and even try to strangle the woman to death the scene ends the exact same way with only a few cosmetic differences.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pffrbt

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]Still not your type of game. The genre is Beyond your appretiation.Lulu_Lulu

sure, and when I'm done with that, Il teach you how not to trip over flat surfaces. I can't explain yourself to you, thats your job

Well evidently you somehow know me well enough to determine that it isn't my type of game, so please, explain. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pffrbt

Your TV is dying, buy a new TV.
My TV works perfectly fine.

Second, you abandon any pretense of realism when your game features a psychic superspy with a ghost on a soul leash.
No, you don't. Working far-fetched concepts into a realistically told storyline is not only possible, but it's far more interesting that just saying "anything goes" and pulling whatever stupid shit out of your ass as it's needed as the plot moves along.

You are thinking of believability and suspension of disbelief, which are not the same thing as realism.
These concepts go hand in hand. 

Third, the game is *made* so that you can't restart
Yeah, no shit, and that's a problem. 

Fourth: cutscenes are unpredictably dotted with QTEs, which explains why they are unskippable
It doesn't explain why the ones that don't have any QTEs are unskippable.

You can't see a cutsce twice unless you restart the game from teh beginiing.
And if I want to replay the game without having to watch redundant cutscenes? 

And it's not true that everyone has a bias.
Anything concerning people's opinions involves bias, that's how opinions work.

Nor everyone walks into a game thinking how much the prequels sucked and this will suck too.Black_Knight_00

This applies to people that went into the game with high expectations as well. The only circumstance where there wouldn't be any bias would be if someone simply had no opinion on anything they played. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Black_Knight_00

My TV works perfectly fine.
Apparently not. Is HDMI supposed to randomly cut out on perfectly functional TV sets?

No, you don't. Working far-fetched concepts into a realistically told storyline is not only possible, but it's far more interesting that just saying "anything goes" and pulling whatever stupid shit out of your ass as it's needed as the plot moves along.
"Interesting" is a subjective statement and your reactions is disproportionate to just seeing cops fighting on top of a train. If they were throwing fireballs I'd give you the point, but as it is? disproportionate.

These concepts go hand in hand.
No they don't. You can have believability in completely unrealistic settings and you can have unbelievability in realistic settings.

Yeah, no shit, and [not being able to skip cutscenes] a problem.

A problem to you. It's a deliberate design choice. You simply don't like it

It doesn't explain why the ones that don't have any QTEs are unskippable.
Yes it does, the game wants to keep you on your toes

And if I want to replay the game without having to watch redundant cutscenes?
If you want to skip cutscenes in what is basically an interactive movie you should be playing something else. Quantic Dream games are interactive cutscenes

Anything concerning people's opinions involves bias, that's how opinions work. This applies to people that went into the game with high expectations as well. The only circumstance where there wouldn't be any bias would be if someone simply had no opinion on anything they played.
Absolutely not. Bias is prejudice, which is a judgement determined beforehand. Not everyone has prejudice. Bias =/= opinion

Pffrbt

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

If you want to skip cutscenes in what is basically an interactive movie you should be playing something else. Quantic Dream games are interactive cutscenes

Black_Knight_00

Which is why I am genuinely surprised so many of you actually like this shit.

Don't get me wrong, there were aspects of Heavy Rain I appreciated but Cage strikes me as little more than a wannabe filmmaker trying to pass off marginally interactive cut scenes as a videogame and I find that both mystifying and irksome.

I also think he is a lousy writer.

The twist of Heavy Rain was little more than a cheap narrative slight-of-hand and made no sense within the context of the game. I also found his portrayal of the serial killer to be woefully lacking, as if he never bothered to do a lick of research on the subject before predicating an entire narrative on such a character.

That said, I guess it is encouraging that he ditched the R2-to-walk control scheme so maybe, after a few more games, he might actually make something wholly interactive.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Which is why I am genuinely surprised so many of you actually like this shit.

Don't get me wrong, there were aspects of Heavy Rain I appreciated but Cage strikes me as little more than a wannabe filmmaker trying to pass off marginally interactive cut scenes as a videogame and I find that both mystifying and irksome.

I also think he is a lousy writer.

The twist of Heavy Rain was little more than a cheap narrative slight-of-hand and made no sense within the context of the game. I also found his portrayal of the serial killer to be woefully lacking, as if he never bothered to do a lick of research on the subject before predicating an entire narrative on such a character.

That said, I guess it is encouraging that he ditched the R2-to-walk control scheme so maybe, after a few more games, he might actually make something wholly interactive.

I think the key is context. If Heavy Rain were a movie, I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't care too much, but in the context of the gaming medium, Quantic Dream has the balls to do what no one else is doing: dispense with the safe tropes of modern gaming and offer scenes where you need to set the table for a kid's birthday party or convince him to do his homework.

Some may see that as a boring pace killer and that's fair enough, I personally see it as experimental game development, avant garde, if you will. Is it perfect? Hell no, but I like what they do. Indigo Prophecy was a brilliant horror-thriller too, I wish they made more horror along those lines.