Beyond: Two Souls demo impressions thread

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#101 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

so in short, GTA V is quantity over quality

Grammaton-Cleric

Well, Heavy Rain enjoys neither so even assuming that was the crux of my point, which it is not, GTAV still comes out ahead.

And GTAV offers both a staggering amount of content AND enjoys an incredible refinement of said content and mechanics so in this specific instance, the developers have achieved both.

When I refer to a game as being the best I have ever played, you can damn well bet I predicate that assessment on more than blind adoration or merely an abundance of content.

Are you serious Grammaton? because i have never heard you be this irrational or blind. Also i seriously hope that you are not saying what i think your saying and think that your opinion is anything but subjective and your opinion, which is as valid as anyone else on the forum. You like GTA we get that but please at least try to tone down the fanboyism.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I get that you are excited about GTA V but come on, I have seen your posts and you have seemed like logic rational person, so whats with the fanboy hat?

Also of course my critic is stupid, isnt that always the case when someone talks bad about your pride and joy, I feel like I am debating in systemwars with a 12year old fanboy.

One thing you miss here with the scripted action is that Heavy Rain and Beyond doesn´t claim to be an open world do everything you like game like GTA. Its even on the box of Heavy rain what it is, so your point is invalid and just plain out there in space.

Also the missions in GTA isnt really that varied, its mostly the same done over and over and over again, blow this up, kill this dude, rob this or drive here and talk shit for 5min, even the heist missions with its illusion of freedom is rather limited. But that wasn´t really my point

But I dont see a point in debating this any further with you, its clear that you have left all rational thought and just have the fanboy hat on. Because GTA V is a great game, dont get me wrong there, I like the game and have a lot of fun with it.

But that doesnt mean I cant see all the things that are not that great. The dated graphics, the npc scripted action, the driving, the shooting, and the cartoonish feel GTA V have, the small city-area, it annoys the hell out of me that Rockstar was a apart of making LA noire´s LA and have made LA seem so small in GTA V, yes the map is bigger than any GTA Map before, but whats the point when 75% is either water, countryside or mountains.

Also i really dont get animosity against Cage for trying to expand the gaming market, Heavy Rain and Beyond is and was a breath of fresh air in a gaming world where it seems that either you go for the call of duty clone or GTA openworld clone.

Jacanuk

I'm glad I seem like a "logic rational person"; your critique of my intellect is invaluable.

And I do enjoy the irony of being compared to a child given the rambling and borderline incoherence of your prose along with your poorly-defined arguments.

And that fanboy shit doesn't phase me because my critiques, unlike your own, are measured, specific, and actually justify my praise while each and every word of derision you levy against GTAV demonstrates that you are just another deluded online denizen who thinks his own dislike translates into a universal truth.

I'm also growing increasingly suspicious that you haven't really played the game much because what you write doesn't reflect the actual reality of the experience.

Claiming redundancy is a waste since all games feature redundancy and, more importantly, GTAV is actually one of the least redundant games on the market.

As to variety, here's a limited list of things I've experienced when playing the primary missions:

Minor Spoliers

- Utilized a submersible to salvage government technology

- Base jumped off a skyscraper after completing an assassination

- Jumped and rode a motorcycle along the top of train compartments

- Worked, albeit briefly, as a longshoreman moving massive crates

- Scuba dived and burned through an underwater grate to gain access to a facility

- Flew a plane into a larger plane and had a protracted gun battle in the hatch of a cargo plane

- Swam out to a yacht and made a getaway on a jet ski

And that's merely off the top of my head.

So again, your claim that this game is the same recycled missions is utter nonsense and your idiotic assertion that the graphics are dated suggests you understand very little about this medium from a technical standpoint despite your laborious and incessant posts to the contrary.

So keep firing away with those puerile jabs and pejoratives because there is nothing you can muster that I cannot, with ease, slap away.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

I get that you are excited about GTA V but come on, I have seen your posts and you have seemed like logic rational person, so whats with the fanboy hat?

Also of course my critic is stupid, isnt that always the case when someone talks bad about your pride and joy, I feel like I am debating in systemwars with a 12year old fanboy.

One thing you miss here with the scripted action is that Heavy Rain and Beyond doesn´t claim to be an open world do everything you like game like GTA. Its even on the box of Heavy rain what it is, so your point is invalid and just plain out there in space.

Also the missions in GTA isnt really that varied, its mostly the same done over and over and over again, blow this up, kill this dude, rob this or drive here and talk shit for 5min, even the heist missions with its illusion of freedom is rather limited. But that wasn´t really my point

But I dont see a point in debating this any further with you, its clear that you have left all rational thought and just have the fanboy hat on. Because GTA V is a great game, dont get me wrong there, I like the game and have a lot of fun with it.

But that doesnt mean I cant see all the things that are not that great. The dated graphics, the npc scripted action, the driving, the shooting, and the cartoonish feel GTA V have, the small city-area, it annoys the hell out of me that Rockstar was a apart of making LA noire´s LA and have made LA seem so small in GTA V, yes the map is bigger than any GTA Map before, but whats the point when 75% is either water, countryside or mountains.

Also i really dont get animosity against Cage for trying to expand the gaming market, Heavy Rain and Beyond is and was a breath of fresh air in a gaming world where it seems that either you go for the call of duty clone or GTA openworld clone.

Grammaton-Cleric

I'm glad I seem like a "logic rational person"; your critique of my intellect is invaluable.

And I do enjoy the irony of being compared to a child given the rambling and borderline incoherence of your prose along with your poorly-defined arguments.

And that fanboy shit doesn't phase me because my critiques, unlike your own, are measured, specific, and actually justify my praise while each and every word of derision you levy against GTAV demonstrates that you are just another deluded online denizen who thinks his own dislike translates into a universal truth.

I'm also growing increasingly suspicious that you haven't really played the game much because what you write doesn't reflect the actual reality of the experience.

Claiming redundancy is a waste since all games feature redundancy and, more importantly, GTAV is actually one of the least redundant games on the market.

As to variety, here's a limited list of things I've experienced when playing the primary missions:

Minor Spoliers

- Scuba dived and burned through an underwater grate to gain access to a facility

- Flew a plane into a larger plane and had a protracted gun battle in the hatch of a cargo plane

So again, your claim that this game is the same recycled missions is utter nonsense and your idiotic assertion that the graphics are dated suggests you understand very little about this medium from a technical standpoint despite your laborious and incessant posts to the contrary.

So keep firing away with those puerile jabs and pejoratives because there is nothing you can muster that I cannot, with ease, slap away.

Ok, i bow down to your superior intellect and lets end it with that when it comes down to it, your only answer is a juvenile and immature rain of personal attacks, which anyone knows shows a lack of intellect and is a clear decisive lose-lose situation.

So please continue thinking that gTA V is the greatest thing ever made, the only one who cares is ..... well no one.

Also your adventures in GTA prove absolutely nothing and doesn't even support your "GTA V is the most varied game ever made" and the graphics, well most rational people can see its dated, and its also mentioned in a few reviews, but i guess they don't have your superior intellect and understand of technical elements right?

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Grammaton-Cleric

Ok, i bow down to your superior intellect and lets end it with that when it comes down to it, your only answer is a juvenile and immature rain of personal attacks, which anyone knows shows a lack of intellect and is a clear decisive lose-lose situation.

So please continue thinking that gTA V is the greatest thing ever made, the only one who cares is ..... well no one.

Also your adventures in GTA prove absolutely nothing and doesn't even support your "GTA V is the most varied game ever made" and the graphics, well most rational people can see its dated, and its also mentioned in a few reviews, but i guess they don't have your superior intellect and understand of technical elements right?

Jacanuk

Let me make something clear: you choose the tone of this discussion because you are a blowhard. You are also the one who decided to interject yourself into a civil discussion I was enjoying with another member because you clearly have a persistent and raging hate-boner for GTAV. You took my comments out of context, spun them into a nasty little rebuttal, and set the pace of this exchange.

You wanted to engage me in a debate and you did so employing a smarmy and condescending tone so clearly, this argument is precisely what you wanted.

And bringing up critical consensus only further strengthens my own position given that GTAV is among the highest-rated games of this generation and has been lauded as a technical marvel.

But that hardly matters because I can and do employ my own analytical skills predicated on decades of gaming to reach the same conclusion as those critics who have, almost unanimously, labeled this game as one of the best ever made.

And there was no torrent of personal attacks; you opted to be nasty and condescending and I have responded accordingly when dismantling your arguments. If you want to grow up and become civil then we can return to a more even discussion but the harshness of my tone is a direct response to the attitude and tactics you opt to employ when making your vacuous observations.

You are a troll when it comes to this game so my advice is to suck it up and let the matter go.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Are you guys comparing GTA and Heavy Rain? What's the point?CarnageHeart

*Sigh* I think I opened up that can of worms back on page 6 when discussing the nature of acceptable freedom in games (freedom to choose how to kill someone vs freedom to choose whether to kill them or talk to them).

To be fair I did mentioned GTAV as an example of games that offer minutia and day-to-day tasks but I also offered up several other examples and a particular troll latched onto the GTAV reference because he is looking to deride that game at any opportunity.

Also, I should apologize for being so harsh on Heavy Rain but I am mirroring his extreme and hyperbolic vernacular to make a point.

(And I feel very, very dirty.)

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#106 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
day one purhase for me i cant wait
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Let me make something clear: you choose the tone of this discussion because you are a blowhard. You are also the one who decided to interject yourself into a civil discussion I was enjoying with another member because you clearly have a persistent and raging hate-boner for GTAV. You took my comments out of context, spun them into a nasty little rebuttal, and set the pace of this exchange.

You wanted to engage me in a debate and you did so employing a smarmy and condescending tone so clearly, this argument is precisely what you wanted.

And bringing up critical consensus only further strengthens my own position given that GTAV is among the highest-rated games of this generation and has been lauded as a technical marvel.

But that hardly matters because I can and do employ my own analytical skills predicated on decades of gaming to reach the same conclusion as those critics who have, almost unanimously, labeled this game as one of the best ever made.

And there was no torrent of personal attacks; you opted to be nasty and condescending and I have responded accordingly when dismantling your arguments. If you want to grow up and become civil then we can return to a more even discussion but the harshness of my tone is a direct response to the attitude and tactics you opt to employ when making your vacuous observations.

You are a troll when it comes to this game so my advice is to suck it up and let the matter go.

I must admit i am loving how you try to change tables and make it seem like i decided that you should use personal attacks as a way of communicating, particular when i in error was showing you the respect i thought you deserved. So no Grammaton, You ALONE decided to take it down to a level that only you continue on.

Also the irony in you calling me a troll when you come into a thread about Beyond two souls and start to compare it to GTA and start to rant about how Beyond and Heavy rain are not "open world do it all freedom based games" and how bad David Cage is. Talk about a huge troll moment.

But in the end its stupid to continue this debate with you, its like system wars and only idiots try to debate with fanboys.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Jacanuk
day one purhase for me i cant wait CTR360
Same here Beyond two souls seems like a excellent game with a great story.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#109 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Also, I should apologize for being so harsh on Heavy Rain but I am mirroring his extreme and hyperbolic vernacular to make a point.Grammaton-Cleric
I think David Cage is crying in his bed right now and doesn't know why :lol:
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Grammaton-Cleric

I must admit i am loving how you try to change tables and make it seem like i decided that you should use personal attacks as a way of communicating, particular when i in error was showing you the respect i thought you deserved. So no Grammaton, You ALONE decided to take it down to a level that only you continue on.

Also the irony in you calling me a troll when you come into a thread about Beyond two souls and start to compare it to GTA and start to rant about how Beyond and Heavy rain are not "open world do it all freedom based games" and how bad David Cage is. Talk about a huge troll moment.

But in the end its stupid to continue this debate with you, its like system wars and only idiots try to debate with fanboys.

Jacanuk

Your initial rebuttal to me was condescending, dismissive and smarmy. You specifically referred to my comments as being amusing so this passive-aggressive soft shoe is tedious.

And that is your modus operandi; an insufferable arrogance that is bizarrely misplaced given how undercooked your postulations are and how rough and unrefined your prose and rhetoric continue to be. You clearly want to lambast this game and my adoration of it but what you (and many others) have to learn the hard way is that I don't spew forth opinions from my ass cheeks; if I take a stance on a game it is because I have solid reasons, both objective and subjective, for doing so and thus will defend those stances vigorously.

Also, little if anything I have written is a direct personal attack and rather I assault the myriad of flaws that riddle your posts and your logic, as they are legion.

And again, hurl as many labels and pejoratives as make you comfortable because I've been here a very long time and unlike you I have been fostering and adding to intelligent discourse for more than a decade.

Being called a fanboy or a system wars troll by a relative newcomer like you is as meaningless as the rest of the drivel you write.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jacanuk
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]Also, I should apologize for being so harsh on Heavy Rain but I am mirroring his extreme and hyperbolic vernacular to make a point.Black_Knight_00

lol Yep perhaps they are hoping for a Fish reaction :D
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Your initial rebuttal to me was condescending, dismissive and smarmy. You specifically referred to my comments as being amusing so this passive-aggressive soft shoe is tedious.

And that is your modus operandi; an insufferable arrogance that is bizarrely misplaced given how undercooked your postulations are and how rough and unrefined your prose and rhetoric continue to be. You clearly want to lambast this game and my adoration of it but what you (and many others) have to learn the hard way is that I don't spew forth opinions from my ass cheeks; if I take a stance on a game it is because I have solid reasons, both objective and subjective, for doing so and thus will defend those stances vigorously.

Also, little if anything I have written is a direct personal attack and rather I assault the myriad of flaws that riddle your posts and your logic, as they are legion.

And again, hurl as many labels and pejoratives as make you comfortable because I've been here a very long time and unlike you I have been fostering and adding to intelligent discourse for more than a decade.

Being called a fanboy or a system wars troll by a relative newcomer like you is as meaningless as the rest of the drivel you write.

Ya Grammaton your right i am new to Gamespot so disregard my comments and just go on with your GTA V fanboyism. So perhaps the thread can go back to Beyond two souls now?
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]Also, I should apologize for being so harsh on Heavy Rain but I am mirroring his extreme and hyperbolic vernacular to make a point.Black_Knight_00

You know, I really don't mean to be a dick about Cage.

Most people who know me understand that I respect divergent effort and to be perfectly honest I really liked the game until the third act, which for me, crumbled and subsequently ruined the game. Once I realized where the narrative was headed it effectively demolished my enjoyment so to be fair, had the story been better, I would probably have endorsed this game.

And truly, I respect the hell out of people like you and Carnage so clearly, this game has merit even if my own admittedly myopic critique is harsh and perhaps unfairly dismissive.

I think there are moments of brilliance in HR and I would love to see some of those ideas unleashed and unconstrained by a control scheme that belies the wonderful interactivity this medium affords.

That said, I will try the demo for Two Souls.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Grammaton-Cleric

Ya Grammaton your right i am new to Gamespot so disregard my comments and just go on with your GTA V fanboyism. So perhaps the thread can go back to Beyond two souls now?

Jacanuk

You took us to this place with your original response and you can end it.

I was never looking to make this thread about GTAV in the first place.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

Grammaton-Cleric

You took us to this place with your original response and you can end it.

I was never looking to make this thread about GTAV in the first place.

Of course not and you didn´t come in and began to defend GTA V when someone decided to go down that road and compare the two games. But again disregard my comment, i am new and haven't been streamlined to the right "grammaton" opinion yet.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]Also, I should apologize for being so harsh on Heavy Rain but I am mirroring his extreme and hyperbolic vernacular to make a point.Grammaton-Cleric

You know, I really don't mean to be a dick about Cage.

Most people who know me understand that I respect divergent effort and to be perfectly honest I really liked the game until the third act, which for me, crumbled and subsequently ruined the game. Once I realized where the narrative was headed it effectively demolished my enjoyment so to be fair, had the story been better, I would probably have endorsed this game.

And truly, I respect the hell out of people like you and Carnage so clearly, this game has merit even if my own admittedly myopic critique is harsh and perhaps unfairly dismissive.

I think there are moments of brilliance in HR and I would love to see some of those ideas unleashed and unconstrained by a control scheme that belies the wonderful interactivity this medium affords.

That said, I will try the demo for Two Souls.

Oh I don't think your critique is unsound or unfair, I have my problems with Heavy Rain as well. The gratuitous boobs for one, in fact the entire character of Madison, which was 90% fanservice. The plotholes and the occasionally sloppy writing (the clockmaker shop scene was bone headed, when you consider it in light of the main plot twist), the never explained blackouts Ethan has. I see these issues too and I usually am a nitpicking demon, trust me. Still, the game (I borrow the expression from someone else) is "made of feels," it made me care about the characters, it made me sympathize and empathize, which happens all too rarely with today's fiction. Much like with MGS4, I am willing to overlook the flawed, obsolete gameplay in light of a touching story and believable characters. That and the production values are sky high, and Quantic Dream keeps upping the ante with every game, in a moment when big publishers are often talking about cutting budgets to AAA games. David Cage's writing might still be rough around the edges, but you can tell he's trying and he has love and passion for what he does, and hey, maybe he has learned from those mistakes.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Grammaton-Cleric

Of course not and you didn´t come in and began to defend GTA V when someone decided to go down that road and compare the two games. But again disregard my comment, i am new and haven't been streamlined to the right "grammaton" opinion yet.

Jacanuk

YOU RESPONDED TO ME. REMEMBER?

It´s actually rather fun to hear you rip Cage a new one and in the same post, use GTA V´s side-activity which is pointless and serve absolute no purpose as a example.

In fact Heavy Rain and Beyond are both games that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as GTA V, where GTA V is just a open world where you can fullfil your inner need for destruction. HR and Beyond wants to tell a story and are more focused on that then to install some pseudo-freedom.

Also how can you have missed that what both games tries to do, is not to give you a gaming experience in terms of mechanics and gameplay, but to give you a story that you can feel apart of by the interactive elements and how they are done.

So i really dont get why people criticize Cage, especially not when his studio is actually trying to move away from the boring same shit open world game that is GTA or mind numbingly dumb Call of Duty and its clones. Particular not when people also praise Ken Levine who is probably the biggest fraud and scam artist in the gaming world.

Jacanuk

So cut the shit and quit wasting my time.

Also, the newness of your membership isn't the problem but rather the arrogance of calling me a fanboy or a system wars acolyte when I've been a contributing member of this place for years.

Like so much of what you write, it is a nonsensical statement.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

Grammaton-Cleric

YOU RESPONDED TO ME. REMEMBER?

It´s actually rather fun to hear you rip Cage a new one and in the same post, use GTA V´s side-activity which is pointless and serve absolute no purpose as a example.

In fact Heavy Rain and Beyond are both games that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as GTA V, where GTA V is just a open world where you can fullfil your inner need for destruction. HR and Beyond wants to tell a story and are more focused on that then to install some pseudo-freedom.

Also how can you have missed that what both games tries to do, is not to give you a gaming experience in terms of mechanics and gameplay, but to give you a story that you can feel apart of by the interactive elements and how they are done.

So i really dont get why people criticize Cage, especially not when his studio is actually trying to move away from the boring same shit open world game that is GTA or mind numbingly dumb Call of Duty and its clones. Particular not when people also praise Ken Levine who is probably the biggest fraud and scam artist in the gaming world.

Jacanuk

So cut the shit and quit wasting my time.

Also, the newness of your membership isn't the problem but rather the arrogance of calling me a fanboy or a system wars acolyte when I've been a contributing member of this place for years.

Like so much of what you write, it is a nonsensical statement.

But Grammaton you are a fanboy when it comes to GTAV, even with a obvious fact like the dated graphics, you come with a irrational argument that people who says that are just not understanding the technical aspects. In fact almost every argument you come with about GTA is text-book Fanboy and you can try to attack me all that you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

Even now you try to assert that you are superior to me, which is like listening to a 5 year old trying to explain why Red is a better colour than blue. Is textbook fanboy.

Also the only thing i attacked was your opinion, you really need to learn the difference. the personal attacks from you are just low-intelligence fanboy mentality.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#119 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Cut it out. Both of you. Need I remind you all of the recent rule changes?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#120 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

When is the demo coming out? Next week?

I hope it has alternative endings.This is what killed Heavy Rain for me,no matter what choices you made the killer is always the same person.

edit: You gotta love William Dafoe:

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Jacanuk

I hope it has alternative endings.This is what killed Heavy Rain for me,no matter what choices you made the killer is always the same person.

ShepardCommandr
Came out a few days ago, the game is coming this month.
Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

I checked the psn store earlier today and it wasn't there.

The game is coming out next Friday here.I got it pre ordered but i wanted to play the demo first.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Grammaton-Cleric

Cut it out. Both of you. Need I remind you all of the recent rule changes?

c_rake

It's my fault for dragging this out.

I should have known better and I apologize for the derailment of the thread.

(Sorry Black Knight)

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

ShepardCommandr

Its been in limited release for the past week, but it hits wide release today so it will be there when PSN updates (theoretically around 5 PM EST, sometimes as late as midnight).

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

There is a bunch of crazy stuff in this thread but when Blackknight says the boobs in Heavy Rain are a negative that is when I lose it. :Pdvader654

:lol:

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

so in short, GTA V is quantity over quality

Grammaton-Cleric

Well, Heavy Rain enjoys neither so even assuming that was the crux of my point, which it is not, GTAV still comes out ahead.

And GTAV offers both a staggering amount of content AND enjoys an incredible refinement of said content and mechanics so in this specific instance, the developers have achieved both.

When I refer to a game as being the best I have ever played, you can damn well bet I predicate that assessment on more than blind adoration or merely an abundance of content.

forget Heavy Rain, we all know its bad, still deserves a GOAT award though, anyway back to GTA, We actually talked about this before GTA V released and I said the same thing before, Creating something with depth and complexity is very difficult for Rockstar Games to do, they compensate for this by throwing everysingle thing at the wall, forcing it to stick, but they're are mostly shallow, stick to one single part of its many features for longer than 5 minutes, and you'l get bored very fast. I'm not saying they should change, Im saying they didn't give us the whole story. this is very shocking, seeing you defend GTA, I didn't know you were the type.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Jacanuk"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Minor Spoliers

But how were those things executed ? I know simply including cool sound sh!t isn't all it takes to reel you in, or is it ?
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Black_Knight_00
There is a bunch of crazy stuff in this thread but when Blackknight says the boobs in Heavy Rain are a negative that is when I lose it. :Pdvader654
Here's some porn, go jack off to it :P
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Grammaton-Cleric

forget Heavy Rain, we all know its bad, still deserves a GOAT award though, anyway back to GTA, We actually talked about this before GTA V released and I said the same thing before, Creating something with depth and complexity is very difficult for Rockstar Games to do, they compensate for this by throwing everysingle thing at the wall, forcing it to stick, but they're are mostly shallow, stick to one single part of its many features for longer than 5 minutes, and you'l get bored very fast. I'm not saying they should change, Im saying they didn't give us the whole story. this is very shocking, seeing you defend GTA, I didn't know you were the type.

Lulu_Lulu

I'm done derailing this particular thread because it frankly isn't fair to people wanting to discuss Two Souls.

That said, your critique of Rockstar and GTA is utter nonsense so if you'd like to debate the matter further let's step into the GTAV thread and do so.

I've already taken the liberty of quoting you there and rebutting so come on by.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I'm done derailing this particular thread because it frankly isn't fair to people wanting to discuss Two Souls.

That said, your critique of Rockstar and GTA is utter nonsense so if you'd like to debate the matter further let's step into the GTAV thread and do so.

I've already taken the liberty of quoting you there and rebutting so come on by.

:( but ..... Nevermind. My critique may suck, but its still true, Rockstar just can't do focused gameplay. Now Mr. Cage on the otherhand, thats a douchebag with some real ambition. Beyond is gona be awesome
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"]

Lulu_Lulu

:( but ..... Nevermind. My critique may suck, but its still true, Rockstar just can't do focused gameplay. Now Mr. Cage on the otherhand, thats a douchebag with some real ambition. Beyond is gona be awesome

You've insulted me twice in this very thread so I'd appreciate your response to my rebuttal over at the GTAV OT.

And no, your critique isn't true, unless reality is limited to your own personal microcosm.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

Grammaton-Cleric

You've insulted me twice in this very thread so I'd appreciate your response to my rebuttal over at the GTAV OT.

And no, your critique isn't true, unless reality is limited to your own personal microcosm.

I maintain what I said earlier. And If that insults you then thats you're fault, come on Mr. Cleric, you can do much better Grand Theft Auto, we just want whats best for you. ;) . Now stop killing hookers and check out Ellen Pages boobs.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] :( but ..... Nevermind. My critique may suck, but its still true, Rockstar just can't do focused gameplay. Now Mr. Cage on the otherhand, thats a douchebag with some real ambition. Beyond is gona be awesomeLulu_Lulu

I maintain what I said earlier. And If that insults you then thats you're fault, come on Mr. Cleric, you can do much better Grand Theft Auto, we just want whats best for you. ;) . Now stop killing hookers and check out Ellen Pages boobs.

How about we bring the thread back to Beyond?

On that note, Sony has shot down rumors that the US version has nudity chopped (which didn't make much sense since Beyond is an M rated game).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688865&page=4

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

CarnageHeart

On that note, Sony has shot down rumors that the US version has nudity chopped (which didn't make much sense since Beyond is an M rated game).

I was slowly easing my way back on topic, virtual nudity always works. Just need more jiggle physics.
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Grammaton-Cleric

CarnageHeart

Is the demo out yet?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Jacanuk

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Is the demo out yet?

the Demo should be out today 2.oct. in EU and US.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 CarnageHeart

David Cage talks about how he used Ellen Page (who has been involved in Hollywood since she was six) as a model for the his character (who progresses from childhood to adulthood) even before she signed onto the project but how she was interested from the get go despite the fact he warned her she'd have a ton and a half of lines to memorize.

http://kotaku.com/the-video-game-that-began-with-pictures-of-ellen-page-1440500148

The conversation lasted one hour. At no point was money or terms discussed. This surprised David. (In Hollywood, he says, this is quite rare.") They talked solely about the script, about the character of Jodie Holmes, about the process of creating a video game of this scale. David Cage remembers being deliberately blunt: he wanted Ellen to commit to the project but, more than anything, he wanted her to commit fully.P

I told her, this is going to be very challenging, This is going to be more work than films.P

There are going to be hundreds of pages of script to learn by heart. You will be on an empty stage wearing a silly motion capture suit! You will feel miserable and exhausted. I said, this is going to be hard and I am going to be a difficult director, because I wont accept anything from you that isnt as good as what Ive seen in your films.

The Video Game That Began With...Pictures Of Ellen Page

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Grammaton-Cleric

Finally had an opportunity to play the demo and overall I enjoyed it.

The problem is that I really enjoyed the HR demo as well, bought the game, and then ended up loathing the last third of the experience.

Regardless, here are some impressions and overall, despite my personal trepidation, I do see Cage's work evolving, though I suspect he has no real aspirations to ever implement gameplay beyond the barest functionality.

Pros:

- Excellent visuals and phenomenal mo-cap.

- Getting actors of Dafoe and Page'' caliber is significant because both bring an automatic gravitas to their respective performances.

- The possession and exploration sequences are quite fun .

- I rather like the slow-motion mechanics even if the actions are mostly regulated to a simple flick of the analog stick

- Removing R2 for walking was huge. The clunky feel of navigation that plagued HR is gone.

- QTE's seem less intrusive and more organic.

- As limited as it was, riding the motorcycle versus watching it felt good.

Cons:

- After watching the trailer at the conclusion of the game, I expect many of the voice actors to be quite lousy, especially when compared to the efforts of Page and Dafoe. The dad calling her a monster in particular was cringe-worthy.

- It still feels more like a film than a game at times and while I suspect the different outcomes will make certain choices more profound, the actual interactivity within the demo was very limited.

- Some of the QTE's seem unnecessary, such as when you are fleeing from the police and have to alternate buttons presses to traverse a river. These QTE's seem perfunctory; as if they felt the need to interject a moment of interactivity into a lengthy cut scene.

- I hated having to shake the PS3 controller for some of the prompts.

It was a compelling experience regardless but I'm still not convinced Cage can deliver the good as it relates to the narrative and really, narrative is what will make or break this game.

Still, I respect the hell out of the production values and getting two exceptional actors for the lead roles was brilliant.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Black_Knight_00

The problem is that I really enjoyed the HR demo as well, bought the game, and then ended up loathing the last third of the experience.

Regardless, here are some impressions and overall, despite my personal trepidation, I do see Cage's work evolving, though I suspect he has no real aspirations to ever implement gameplay beyond the barest functionality.

Pros:

- Getting actors of Dafoe and Page'' caliber is significant because both bring an automatic gravitas to their respective performances.

- I rather like the slow-motion mechanics even if the actions are mostly regulated to a simple flick of the analog stick

- Removing R2 for walking was huge. The clunky feel of navigation that plagued HR is gone.

Cons:

- After watching the trailer at the conclusion of the game, I expect many of the voice actors to be quite lousy, especially when compared to the efforts of Page and Dafoe. The dad calling her a monster in particular was cringe-worthy.

- It still feels more like a film than a game at times and while I suspect the different outcomes will make certain choices more profound, the actual interactivity within the demo was very limited.

- Some of the QTE's seem unnecessary, such as when you are fleeing from the police and have to alternate buttons presses to traverse a river. These QTE's seem perfunctory; as if they felt the need to interject a moment of interactivity into a lengthy cut scene.

It was a compelling experience regardless but I'm still not convinced Cage can deliver the good as it relates to the narrative and really, narrative is what will make or break this game.

Still, I respect the hell out of the production values and getting two exceptional actors for the lead roles was brilliant.

Grammaton-Cleric
I agree with most of your pros/cons. I have avoided trailers like the plague, so I don't really know what's coming in the rest of the game (my spoiler paranoia is in full swing), but I think you may end up liking this one more than Heavy Rain, due to the fact that this is a more straightforward story, built around a mechanic more than a plot twist, which is what soured many people's experience concerning Heavy Rain. In other words, Cage has reverted to the supernatural in order to give the story "oomph" rather than relying on just his writing, all complemented by the acting performances to keep the narrative compelling. I just can't wait to see Willem Dafoe in action, the demo just teased him. Also, no idea about the remaining actors, sorry, though Doctor Cole and the SWAT commander sounded solid to me.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#141 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Finally tried the demo, never played Heavy Rain as I loathed the demo but actually enjoyed Beyond Two Souls. I still hated the controls though they were better for sure (camera was pretty dodgy when moving around) but the characters, Aiden and action were all pretty interesting. Think i'll get it if I can get the cash together.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#143 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Pros:

Cons:

Grammaton-Cleric

Great impressions though I am not sure why you hated the 3rd act of Heavy Rain. I thought some of the last chapters were exhilarting. I liked how there was some puzzles thrown in there to spice things up. Loved pieceing together all the evidence to catch the killer when playing as Jayden, and finding where shawn was when playing as Ethan. I also played the last ten chapters many times and got an entirely different ending every time. Almost all of them just as emotionally involving as my first one. Yes, it's not an oscar caliber story but compared to most video games it was fine if not better than 90% of the games out there.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#144 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Having never played Heavy Rain I was quite impressed with the demo. Seems like a game I would rather watch than play but I may check it out once the price drops.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#145 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

The graphics are phenomenal. I was like holy shit when they let you actually drive that bike.

I also liked the new QTEs, but that sixaxis shaking pissed me the f*ck off. What an awful awful gimmick the sixaxis turned out to be. 

I can see constant slow-mo getting old in the full game. Aiden's powers were way too basic for my taste as well. 

Regardless, i really liked the visuals and the action so I'll probably end up buying this game next week. I am 100% certain that I wont like it as much as Heavy Rain simply because you can fail every QTE and still not die. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 CarnageHeart

Quantic Dreams discusses the differences (and similarities) between Heavy Rain and Beyond. There are no major spoilers, but there is a bit of footage not contained in the demo so those who want to stay absolutely spoiler free may want to stay clear.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/04/beyond-its-not-another-heavy-rain/

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17683 Posts

What in the hell is going on with the quote system?? It makes reading these.....errrrm.....very *entertaining* exchanges cumbersome and confusing.

Anyway, I'm loving Beyond. And the more I think on it, I can't pinpoint why. I can't even begin to form an argument as to how this could be considered a game, but for some reason I enjoy the direction it's taken regardless. It's different, and in that I see potential. Perhaps unrealized, perhaps executed poorly.

But I'm still loving it. I've always wanted to be able to watch a movie and have a choice in which way it goes. Weak gameplay mechanics or not, that's what this allows.