The Broken 360 Thread v. 3 -- RROD, E74 Queries In Here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aceconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#351 Aceconn
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts

Well,i dont get on my computer very often so i dont really look all over this site,i wasnt aware of the SW forum,so sorry for being off topic Dante.But arguing over a systems flaw when that happens to be breaking down is not retarded.we'l end it on that.

Awesome_Ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#352 Awesome_Ad
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

Ok so ive been very lucky from now. Im So damm upset. Didnt expect it

yes i got the ring of death

i have it the bottom right corner of the ring. One red ring. which i though when i got back today, thats not so bad, the 3 rings is the worst, then kaboom, on my screen appears the E74 error. then i think to myself F*** lol.

now ive tryed everything i can think of, removing cables, hardrive accessories and all that.

Nothing.

And My warranty has run out, im sure it has.

So impretty annoyed. and i think all xbox 360 owners have thought of this before. We buy the console £130+ we buy live £40, game add ons with MS Points, then we get side tracked and disasters happen when the stupid thing fails with the RROD, or now E74 Error (Can be E71 or E79).

Im trying to make my point to microsoft to say, if they dont get it sorted, when those PS3'a come slightly down, my xbox is going out the window.

i know i sound like an idiot moaing and winging like this.

but this is incredibly annoying.

Aceconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#353 Aceconn
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts

Good idea.

jdmiller4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#354 jdmiller4life
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I also just got the E 74 error and am gonna hafta pay the $100 bucks to send it in. Damn!

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#355 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

...So impretty annoyed. and i think all xbox 360 owners have thought of this before. We buy the console £130+ we buy live £40, game add ons with MS Points...Awesome_Ad

You're quite lucky because you bought it so late - it was still £270 when I got mine.

Still sucks that you got E74 which is only covered by the 1 year standard warranty. Getting it repaired costs a lot compared to the price of just buying a new console

KingTheodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#356 KingTheodon
Member since 2006 • 174 Posts

I have a problem... like.. the second my console turns on theres this loud a** sound of a fan, and wind blowin out the back of the console, and then maybe like... 4 seconds later sections 1 and 3 are flashing red, which indicates overheating. It's in open space so ventillation is fine, and no matter how long I let it rest I can't seem to get it on for even a minute. What can I do to fix this?..

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#357 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

What exactly causes the E74 (the RROD is caused by overheating) so I know how to prevent it happening again? Also how much does it cost for UK customers to get the E74 fixed?

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
I bought a used arcade version and then bought a Harddrive for it a little under a month ago and it worked great. Now I got 1,3, and 4 flashing. Luckily I bought a used warranty on it through Gamestop and they should replace it without using my warranty because it has been under 30 days. Still very frustrating.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#359 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I also just got the E 74 error and am gonna hafta pay the $100 bucks to send it in. Damn!

jdmiller4life

Couldn't you just tell Microsoft that you got the RROD and send it in?

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

I just got my Elite back today. This process took 10 days. They sent me back a different refurbished one.

I was wondering, do they change the insides of these 360s even if it has an older manufacturing date? Because the Elite they gave me is manufactured in 2007. I'm afraid it might kick the bucket again. I was hoping they sent me back a new console manufactured in 2009, so the jasper would be in it. :(

gago-gago
no there is nothing u can do. the elites and the other ones are no different. they all have the same thing in it. it won't break for a while since it got repaired by microsoft.
sonyisevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#362 sonyisevil
Member since 2006 • 71 Posts

My Xbox began acting up 2 days ago. I was playing RE5 and it was all of a sudden started to freeze. Then it would persist everytime I turned on the console. And i'd only get the 3 red lights when I'd open up the disc drive to take the game out. I never got the error message, but there was obviously something wrong. Thankfully I bought it in May of last year, so it's still under warranty. I shipped it yesterday and god knows when i'll get it back. Any ideas?

I get to spend my whole spring break without it, though...great.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
[QUOTE="sonyisevil"]

My Xbox began acting up 2 days ago. I was playing RE5 and it was all of a sudden started to freeze. Then it would persist everytime I turned on the console. And i'd only get the 3 red lights when I'd open up the disc drive to take the game out. I never got the error message, but there was obviously something wrong. Thankfully I bought it in May of last year, so it's still under warranty. I shipped it yesterday and god knows when i'll get it back. Any ideas?

something similar happened to me. my copy of re5 was screwy and it kept freezing my console. it would then start freezing on the start up screen and finally, it just stopped teasing me and RROD'd. im going to get it fixed but since the refurb versions are poopy, i just bought a new xbox online and am going to sell the fixed xbox and hopefully recoup the price difference.
eab444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364 eab444
Member since 2004 • 187 Posts

Has the new system update been bricking anyone's 360? I just downloaded it and was playing Ninja Gaiden II for only about when my 360 froze. When I tried to turn it on again it RROD'd. I don't see how the chipset could have failed since the system was still relatively cool.

EDIT: I had been playing for only 15 minutes

Comic_Capers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#365 Comic_Capers
Member since 2008 • 1701 Posts

sonyisevil
Same, mine E74'd on Sunday, just before a two week holiday. Very annoying!!!!
Geespotuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367 Geespotuser
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

My Elite RRoD just now and submitted a repair request. I bought mine about 8 months ago. I was hoping it'll last longer but it didn't. I'm thinking of getting the Elite 360 Red L.E., but are those running with the new Jasper chip so it's less chance from RRoD?

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368 mattg90520

i just bought a new 360 off ebay. in the description, it said it had the lite-on drive. whatis that? i tried google search and all i could find was videos on how to tell if you have the lite on or ben q drive, not the difference or anything.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369 mattg90520

My Elite RRoD just now and submitted a repair request. I bought mine about 8 months ago. I was hoping it'll last longer but it didn't. I'm thinking of getting the Elite 360 Red L.E., but are those running with the new Jasper chip so it's less chance from RRoD?

Geespotuser
if youre talking about the re5 red 360, then yeah, they should all have jasper sets. they were manufactured late last year/early this year. i just bought one as my 360 got rrod too and my red 360 has jasper. however, do you know what the lite-on drive is?
joke_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370 joke_man
Member since 2005 • 1177 Posts

I just purchased the new RE5 LE Elite Bundle and it has stopped using any and all wireless adapters. At first I thought it was the wireless adapter, so I called MS and troubleshooted things. It worked for awhile, it stopped, the red light on the adapter came on and I called again. This process happened for the next 2 phone calls and the MS guy told me it might be the 360 or the adapter and to try the adapter on another xbox. I found out that the adapter works fine on a friend's 360 and I even tried his adapter on my Xbox, but it didn't work either.

It looks like their is a problem with my Xbox 360. I tried to return it, but obviously the store I purchased it at is out of stock (seeing as it is such a hot item) so I might have to send it to McAllen, TX for MS repair. I'm worried that I will get a refurbished black elite instead of the LE RE5 red edition. Since the red xbox is prob gonna depriciate in price far less (and the fact that I specificallyupgraded tothe Elite because of the RE5 bundle), I don't want to get stuck witha black one.

What are the chances of getting my original back and fixed? Or does anyone have solutions to fixing the wireless problems I'm having?

Avatar image for 223583103538974713019771264789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#371 223583103538974713019771264789
Member since 2008 • 87 Posts

Thank you so much for this forum! It really helps. I got the one Red Ring of Death in the bottom right hand corner. Followed these steps and now im waiting for the 360 to be returned to me! Thanks so much =D

Geespotuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#372 Geespotuser

[QUOTE="Geespotuser"]

mattg90520

if youre talking about the re5 red 360, then yeah, they should all have jasper sets. they were manufactured late last year/early this year. i just bought one as my 360 got rrod too and my red 360 has jasper. however, do you know what the lite-on drive is?

Sorry but I don't know.

lakanook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373 lakanook
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
There's also another alternatives if you don't want to wait days or weeks for repair time, you can repair the red ring of death problem yourself in under 40 minutes apparently. Same for E74 and a few others. Some websites have these tutorials that make it easy, they claim that even a 10-yr old could do it. Might be worth checking out. Here's an example anyway: http://www.videogamesxbox360.com/
Avatar image for rubberbandman31
rubberbandman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#374 rubberbandman31
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

My 360 just got the RROD and i submitted a repair request to xbox. But after I sent the request I went back to my xbox turned it on and about the 5th time it finally kicked on. Everything seems fine, the only difference is that when it starts to whirrrr when it is booting up there is an audible gap like it gets stuck...should I still sent my Xbox in or wait until it totally crashes?

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#375 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
ok my 360 just got the RROD today but when i turned it back on it was fine... what are the odds of me getting it again?
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#376 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts

My 360 just got the RROD and i submitted a repair request to xbox. But after I sent the request I went back to my xbox turned it on and about the 5th time it finally kicked on. Everything seems fine, the only difference is that when it starts to whirrrr when it is booting up there is an audible gap like it gets stuck...should I still sent my Xbox in or wait until it totally crashes?

rubberbandman31
hmm i would leave this up to you.. but if i were in that position i would send it to microsoft.. or go to gamestop where they could hopefully fix it for you for a price..
Geespotuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377 Geespotuser
ok my 360 just got the RROD today but when i turned it back on it was fine... what are the odds of me getting it again?ishoturface
Exact same thing happened to me. After two days it finally did it.
Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378 Krypt_Kreeper
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts
Do the Jaspers really help and has anyone gotton the RROD with a Jasper equiped 360? My 360 Arcade I got in late Dec has a Jasper but because it runs so warm (much warmer than my other systems) I'm still paranoid about it getting the RROD. So far my 360 has frozen on me twice, once on RE5 and once on Smackdown Vs. Raw 08 and were weeks apart. Should I be worried? I never play my 360 more than 3hrs at a time and allways give it at least an hour long break before I turn it back on.
Avatar image for rubberbandman31
rubberbandman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379 rubberbandman31
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

[QUOTE="rubberbandman31"]

ishoturface

hmm i would leave this up to you.. but if i were in that position i would send it to microsoft.. or go to gamestop where they could hopefully fix it for you for a price..

Well, i played it some more i cleared my hard drive cache and it seems to work...Im still gonna send it off to microsoft though...I fell that it will crash eventually so might as well get it fixed now

Black_Rain4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380 Black_Rain4
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts

Do the Jaspers really help and has anyone gotton the RROD with a Jasper equiped 360? My 360 Arcade I got in late Dec has a Jasper but because it runs so warm (much warmer than my other systems) I'm still paranoid about it getting the RROD. So far my 360 has frozen on me twice, once on RE5 and once on Smackdown Vs. Raw 08 and were weeks apart. Should I be worried? I never play my 360 more than 3hrs at a time and allways give it at least an hour long break before I turn it back on. Krypt_Kreeper
Honestly, I really doubt that the chips do much to prevent the RROD, RROD is hardware failure, a chip wont stop your xbox from **** it's pants (excuse my french), as far as I've heard about the RROD it's the GPU inside your xbox that's actually becoming loose, causing a failure inside your box of X o.O

thebaronmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#381 thebaronmoo
Member since 2007 • 246 Posts

hey, so when i load a disc into the tray and i go to play it. on the little load screen where it says "play ..." it says play dvd. and when i press a to start it, it says "please insert this disc into an xbox console" this has happened before but it stopped, but know its starting back up again. and its not just with one game. every game i put in is like this. anybody have any input on what it could be?

Krypt_Kreeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383 Krypt_Kreeper
Member since 2008 • 282 Posts

[QUOTE="Krypt_Kreeper"]Do the Jaspers really help and has anyone gotton the RROD with a Jasper equiped 360? My 360 Arcade I got in late Dec has a Jasper but because it runs so warm (much warmer than my other systems) I'm still paranoid about it getting the RROD. So far my 360 has frozen on me twice, once on RE5 and once on Smackdown Vs. Raw 08 and were weeks apart. Should I be worried? I never play my 360 more than 3hrs at a time and allways give it at least an hour long break before I turn it back on. Black_Rain4

Honestly, I really doubt that the chips do much to prevent the RROD, RROD is hardware failure, a chip wont stop your xbox from **** it's pants (excuse my french), as far as I've heard about the RROD it's the GPU inside your xbox that's actually becoming loose, causing a failure inside your box of X o.O

I was under the impression the most RRODs were because of the system overheating. Supposedly the Jasper keeps the system cooler or somethingand makes it run less noisily. From all the info I've gathered I belive my 360 has a Jasper (Mfg date: 2008-24-10, Lot NO. 0843X, Team: FDOU, Output 12V = 12.1A etc) but it still runs hotter than any other system I've ever owned. I don't have an older 360 to compare it to but do the Jasper 360s still run fairly hot?

Leninade223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384 Leninade223
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts

My 360 originally had the 1 red light (E74) and so I did the X-clamp fix where I replaced the X-clamps with 8 flathead screws and I used 16 nylon washers (8 directly under the GPU/CPU). I've tried "baking" the console for 20 minutes after I reconnected the fan and DVD drive but it won't overheat. The fan also turns off after 2 seconds.

I put 2 scratches on the motherboard beforehand, for anyone wondering.

KBK111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385 KBK111
Member since 2008 • 215 Posts

for the e74 error, When i take out my AV cable and turn the XBOX on the 1 red light doesn't flash but the green light in the middle just stays on. Does this mean its my AV cable?

Donsavant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386 Donsavant
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts

hey, so when i load a disc into the tray and i go to play it. on the little load screen where it says "play ..." it says play dvd. and when i press a to start it, it says "please insert this disc into an xbox console" this has happened before but it stopped, but know its starting back up again. and its not just with one game. every game i put in is like this. anybody have any input on what it could be?

thebaronmoo

I would try cleaning the lens on your dvd drive somehow. The only time I've gotten that error was with scratched DVDs so unless all your games are too dirty/scratched to read, i'd guess that it's a dirty lens.

Donsavant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387 Donsavant
Member since 2007 • 118 Posts

for the e74 error, When i take out my AV cable and turn the XBOX on the 1 red light doesn't flash but the green light in the middle just stays on. Does this mean its my AV cable?

KBK111

I'd have to say no. The Xbox doesn't even boot up without an AV/HDMI cable connected. It just basically turns on enough put that center green light on and scan for the AV cable.

I believe e74 has to do with your GPU and from what I've read about it, is a error that we shouldn't have to put up with. If your warranty is up and you're not scared to get a little hands on, it should onlycost about $12 to fix, or free if you already have the thermal compound gel

just found this "It can be caused by a faulty av-cable according to the faq but if you can see the E74 error message on the screen your av-cable will be fine".

II-Keyran-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388 II-Keyran-II
Member since 2009 • 132 Posts

Thought i'd contribute to this thread, my 360 got red ring the other week, just waiting for UPS to pick it up to send it to Microsoft, seriously, it's ridicoulous I have to go through all this, and the worst thing is, i'll probably be waiting upto 2 months until I get it back. I like the 360 quite a lot, but it's so irritating that their reliability is this bad.

-Sigh

Gerdeman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389 Gerdeman15
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

I got E74 and sent mine in thursday, when i get it back will it be a new falcon chip model and when will i get it back

FAB_GS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390 FAB_GS
Member since 2009 • 161 Posts

Why does RROD & E74 happen?
I bought my XBOX 360 a year ago, and thankfully I didn't get any of them. A lot of people are telling me that my 360 will be infected by one of them soon. Any idea how to prevent it from happening? And if it did happen, what should I do?

Sorry, I'm new at these things.
Thanks. :)

Geespotuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#391 Geespotuser

Why does RROD & E74 happen?
I bought my XBOX 360 a year ago, and thankfully I didn't get any of them. A lot of people are telling me that my 360 will be infected by one of them soon. Any idea how to prevent it from happening? And if it did happen, what should I do?

Sorry, I'm new at these things.
Thanks. :)

FAB_GS

The only way to avoid them is not using your 360.

DarthKalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392 DarthKalo
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

My 360 has a problem, for some reason it does not realize it is a 360. When I try to play a 360 game a screen pops-up saying "to play this disk put it in an xbox 360". Sometimes it gives me this disk is unreadable errors and sometimes it just says "open tray" when there is a disk in it. I can get a new disk drive from a local repair store for $45, I'm just not 100% sure the disk drive is the problem. Has anyone had the same problem and fixed it by replacing the disk drive?

Geespotuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393 Geespotuser

Also, when you get your 360 back from repair, how would you know if its brand new or not?

apoohastata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394 apoohastata
Member since 2004 • 40 Posts

Also, when you get your 360 back from repair, how would you know if its brand new or not?

Geespotuser

1. It will not be brand new. It will be refurbished. 2. The serial number will be different than the one you sent in.

kunggustaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#395 kunggustaf
Member since 2005 • 883 Posts

I got a question about a warranty:

I bought a xbox 360 in late december 2005 and it worked til mid june 2007. It RRODed but my warranty covered it. I got a refurbished one instead of my old xbox 360. Now here is my question, my refurbished 360 has the E74 now and wont work, no matter what i do. Now that Microsoft extended the warranty for the E74 issue can I send in my second 360 to have it repaired at no cost? Basically, I wonder if i got a new warranty along with my second 360 aswell.

jeremessmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#396 jeremessmore
Member since 2008 • 90 Posts

I have a problem that wasn't on the list, my system has just completely stopped turning on, the power box light is orange but the console itself won't do anything I don't kow what could have happened,help?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

Ugh. Just got the one ring of death today, after letting my xbox download the Chinese Democracy album for Rockband. I come back turn my xbox back on and BAM... Dead.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
hey people great news from microsoft!! they now have the E74 error on the 3 year warranty.
cameronnnjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#399 cameronnnjames
Member since 2009 • 80 Posts
I HAVE HAD A JOURNEY WITH MY XBOX 360... about five months ago I went to play my 360 and my system kept freezing up on me. then i had three red lights..ugh. i didn't touch my system until this past monday. to my surprise i only had one red light this time. my error code said that it was a hard-drive failure, so i made sure my HD was hooked up right and tried again. My system turned on and was perfectly fine. i played for about fifteen minutes and the system froze.. the next day i turned on my console and i had three red lights again.. i attempted the "towel trick". now alot of you may say that "it's stupid" or "send it in to microsoft..well i'm not under warranty anymore so really ti didn't matter. i figured, my system's already broken what's the worst i can do. to my surprise the towel trick worked. no more red lights. however after about fifteen minutes of gameplay my system froze again. i restarted the system tried without my DH attached. i only got five minutes of play before it froze and gave me a blank screen. SOOOOO my red lights were fixed but my games are still freezing. JUST the games. HELP?!
Trace7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#400 Trace7913
Member since 2007 • 68 Posts

so i went to turn on my xbox and it did, but my modem was on stndby so i turned off my xbox to make sure i could connect to xbox live, so i made sure my modem was online and turn my xbox back on, and BAM! the 3 RROD....please....someone ..help