The Broken 360 Thread v. 3 -- RROD, E74 Queries In Here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Opalescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#201 Opalescent
Member since 2006 • 247 Posts

I'm just wondering if my 360 is on it's way out. Recently, all kinds of strange errors have started popping up. So first, when I turn on the console, nothing shows up on my TV. I turn it off, wait 5 minutes, and try again: no dice. Finally, I unplug the HDMI cable and insert it into a different HTML input on my TV. Presto! The screen lights up with the dashboard. What's up with that?

Afterwards, I start playing a game, and then about half an hour to an hour into it, the game freezes. It doesn't matter what buttons on my controller I push, nothing happens. It doesn't even make any noises (like that "whoosh" sound you hear when you push the XBox button for when the mini-dashboard pops up), it's just dead. The only way to get it to react is to hit the power button on the console directly to shut it down. I do so, wait about an hour, and try again. 30-60 minutes later, bam! It's frozen again. Makes it almost impossible to play certain kinds of games.

It doesn't ALWAYS do that; sometimes I've gone for as long as 2 hours without a freeze. But that's rare. I'm just wondering ... are these the early signs of RROD? Should I go try to find my reciept so that I can make a call to Microsoft soon? Is there anything I can do to try to delay the onset of RROD, or is my 360 basically doomed? I've never gotten an RROD before, so I guess it's just my time, huh? It's almost like a rite of passage for 360 fans...

Caprellid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Caprellid
Member since 2008 • 249 Posts

Did anyone who bought a XBOX360 around OCTOBER have to turn their xbox in for repairs yet??

I bought my xbox 360 in october and right now its freezing in GTAIV maybe every 20 minutes (didn't install the game onto hard drive)

My question is, if THE XBOX JUST FREEZES with NO LIGHTS? what could be the proble,??? I already cleared my xbox hard drive cache, and took the hd out...

HOW LAME AN OCTOBER 2008 XBOX STILL HAS ISSUES?

zaney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 zaney
Member since 2003 • 326 Posts

I have the E74 error code, with the lower right part of the circle flashing red. There's a solution I plan to try for that - when we unplug the AV/HD cable and turn the 360 on that way, the red light isn't on. So we're going to try a new cable. If there's any info on that, it might be helpful, but I'm more posting about something else.

When I was playing Fable II a couple weeks ago, the whole screen suddenly got discolored (grayish) and had lines running down it, and I could hardly see what was going on. When I went to the dashboard, the problem was still there. But if I turned the system off and back on, it was okay again for a while. That I can see as being the AV/HD cable having issues. But then when I played Fallout 3, we got a different issue where only the in-game screen got some lines on it, this time more of a pink color. Looks like a different problem. When I went to the pause screen (where you load, save, etc), it didn't show up. It didn't follow it to the dashboard, either. But when I saved while the in-game screen was like that, it showed up in the picture for the save file, and when I turned the console off and restarted, it was still there. I tried loading an earlier game and it had spread to that, too. It had also had the same problem as Fable II once or twice, so that seems like it applies to all the games and it comes and goes. I was wondering if the Fallout 3 problem was only with the game disc, though, or if anyone knows about either of these problems.

sylphstarwind35

I personally haven't had this problem with my 360, but the description you are giving about the discoloration in the visuals is exactly what happens when a GPU starts overheating or malfunctioning. This could escalate into a RROD, but even if it doesn't the problem won't just go away. Unfortunately you will need to send it in for repair.

mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts

Just one question: My 360 got RROD last wednesday. I gave it to UPS on thursday and got a mail this morning saying it is now being repaired.
How long will it probably take for me to get my 360 back? I'm hoping friday since that's when RE5 is coming out :P.

Also, I've heard that things go much faster now since there are less 360's dying compared to the amount before. Is this true?

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

You know for the $100 it costs to repair the Xbox 360, its almost better to spend an extra $100 to get an Arcade which has another controller, memory card (which would pretty much cover part of the extra $100), and a 3 yearwarranty.....It sucks because my system is completely out ofwarrantyfor the Red Ring of Death and E74.

slurry666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 slurry666
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi all I have a problem, i left cod 5 in my xbox and turned it off... i come back turn it on and it says that the disk is unreadable! so i try it again, no luck and then i clean the disk still no luck. my other games work fine but i dont know what the hell is going on any help would be appreciated. thanks all :P

slurry666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 slurry666

update**

it works. i turnt my xbox up vertical like i read on another forum and found a tiny tiny little smudge on the disk. and yeah it works thank Gawd.

TY all

Avatar image for sylphstarwind35
sylphstarwind35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 sylphstarwind35

I personally haven't had this problem with my 360, but the description you are giving about the discoloration in the visuals is exactly what happens when a GPU starts overheating or malfunctioning. This could escalate into a RROD, but even if it doesn't the problem won't just go away. Unfortunately you will need to send it in for repair.

zaney

Okay, thanks. I'll probably try to move it to a better spot and get a cooling thing for it, and still try the new cable, but now I'll expect to send it in soon anyway. I'd still like to hear any more input or if anyone's had the same thing, though.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#210 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red) Someone explain this part to me. >_>
skyskeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 skyskeek
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

My xbox 360 just got the RROD and has already left my home to be fixed....I'm totaly gutted though as i've just bought f.e.a.r 2 and shell shock 2, plus street fighter 4 will arrive tomorrow morning and my xbox is at the doctors....

But i have to ask, why does the RROD happen? what gets damaged in the 360 to make it die?

WHY 360.... WHY DID YOU DIE ON ME!!!

corb77

Micro didn't do there homework on them before they put them out on the market there is 2 processors in them an the heatsinks get so hot you can't put hand on them plus they use 2 Xclamps on the bottom of the board when the chips get hot the pressure from the xclamps warp the board an cause cold solder joints when this happens the processors are no longer connected to the board when you send it for repair they remilt the solder joints an do away with xclamps an use a better heatsink compound between the chip and heatsink the newer ones made made in 2008 have what is Jasper chip an run much cooler in !!/2008 they came out with a more cooler running chip

znator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#212 znator
Member since 2006 • 550 Posts

Good to have my 360 back, it runs cooler, quieter, and smoother then it did before, some things I am taking into consideration this time around is I moved to the top shelf so it's not in a cramped shelf on my entertainment center where it gets poor ventilation, secondly its now plugged into my wall instead of one of my many surge protectors I got laying around the room, I am so happy to have my 360 back, and lets hope I am never in that repair boat again because it was a ass.

FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 FOR3SKIN
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Hi all I have a problem, i left cod 5 in my xbox and turned it off... i come back turn it on and it says that the disk is unreadable! so i try it again, no luck and then i clean the disk still no luck. my other games work fine but i dont know what the hell is going on any help would be appreciated. thanks all :P

slurry666
This is a problem with the game itself, and (fortunately) not your xbox. Check the center hole on the disc and see if there are any small cracks. That is the most common reason individual games fail. If your xbox is still playing other games, then I can say I'm 99% sure its not your xbox.
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 FOR3SKIN

[QUOTE="corb77"]

My xbox 360 just got the RROD and has already left my home to be fixed....I'm totaly gutted though as i've just bought f.e.a.r 2 and shell shock 2, plus street fighter 4 will arrive tomorrow morning and my xbox is at the doctors....

But i have to ask, why does the RROD happen? what gets damaged in the 360 to make it die?

skyskeek

Micro didn't do there homework on them before they put them out on the market there is 2 processors in them an the heatsinks get so hot you can't put hand on them plus they use 2 Xclamps on the bottom of the board when the chips get hot the pressure from the xclamps warp the board an cause cold solder joints when this happens the processors are no longer connected to the board when you send it for repair they remilt the solder joints an do away with xclamps an use a better heatsink compound between the chip and heatsink the newer ones made made in 2008 have what is Jasper chip an run much cooler in !!/2008 they came out with a more cooler running chip

The most common reason for the RROD is overheating. However, The RROD is a general systems failure error and not always from overheating. I have repaired many xboxes and found that the RROD can be caused by a bad DVD drive as well (among other things). Yes, It is more often from overheating, but not always. Did you know that when your xbox red lights, There is a way to figure out why without opening it? There is a way to find a "secondary" code. Turn on your 360 and let it red light. Hold down the sync button an push eject. Your xbox will start to flash a secondary code for you. Repeat this four times and you have your secondary code telling you more specifically what is going on inside. Your xbox can RROD on you for somthing as simple as your A\V cable being on HDTV when it should be on TV.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

One Year Express Warranty on Console (Three Years for Three Lights Flashing Red) Someone explain this part to me. >_>MrLions

Anything that isn't related to the RROD like disk dray failure E74 ect is covered under a 1 year warranty, while the RROD is covered by a 3 warranty.

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#216 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Can't believe I actually got RROD today, Fortunately thanks to forums like this one I didn't panic8)

Sent Microsoft my console in a wii box just to annoy em'

BraunoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 BraunoftheDead
Member since 2009 • 152 Posts

Can't believe I actually got RROD today, Fortunately thanks to forums like this one I didn't panic8)

Sent Microsoft my console in a wii box just to annoy em'

2-10-08

:lol:

No way!

Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#218 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts
Ahoy all. I have a problem with mmmmmy xbox as well. For a while now its been giving me whats known as the white screen of death (Did a bit of research and apparently the laser is not reading the disk correctly or getting stuck). I have to repeatedly pop the disk in and out until the stupid thing decides to run. This can take 15 or so tries sometimes. Especially my saints row 2. Some games are known to freeze as well (again..saints row 2) and other games have other problems. My devil may cry 4 will stop and ill get a "this disk is unreadable" sign right after i beat a particular boss. On top of which the disk tray gets stuck fairly often and i have to give it a hard flick for it to unjam or even have to pull it out semi forcefully. My system is really beaten up. Had it since jan 06. But my real problem is the white screen. Is there a possibility of being able to buy and install a new dvd drive? Or does the 360 have some kind of security lock out code that wont accept any other hardware? Im reluctant to send my 360 in because i heard it takes weeks to get it back not to mention a couple of other horror stories about how people get different consoles back that dont work as well. Heard one guy had up to 4 consoles sent back to him before he finally got a working one.
meme378

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 meme378
Member since 2007 • 548 Posts

[QUOTE="skyskeek"]

[QUOTE="corb77"]

FOR3SKIN

The most common reason for the RROD is overheating. However, The RROD is a general systems failure error and not always from overheating. I have repaired many xboxes and found that the RROD can be caused by a bad DVD drive as well (among other things). Yes, It is more often from overheating, but not always. Did you know that when your xbox red lights, There is a way to figure out why without opening it? There is a way to find a "secondary" code. Turn on your 360 and let it red light. Hold down the sync button an push eject. Your xbox will start to flash a secondary code for you. Repeat this four times and you have your secondary code telling you more specifically what is going on inside. Your xbox can RROD on you for somthing as simple as your A\V cable being on HDTV when it should be on TV.

Do you know what this secondary code means? I just tried it on my 360 and the lights have flashed in this sequence-4, 1, 4, 2.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#220 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
Ahoy all. I have a problem with mmmmmy xbox as well. For a while now its been giving me whats known as the white screen of death (Did a bit of research and apparently the laser is not reading the disk correctly or getting stuck). I have to repeatedly pop the disk in and out until the stupid thing decides to run. This can take 15 or so tries sometimes. Especially my saints row 2. Some games are known to freeze as well (again..saints row 2) and other games have other problems. My devil may cry 4 will stop and ill get a "this disk is unreadable" sign right after i beat a particular boss. On top of which the disk tray gets stuck fairly often and i have to give it a hard flick for it to unjam or even have to pull it out semi forcefully. My system is really beaten up. Had it since jan 06. But my real problem is the white screen. Is there a possibility of being able to buy and install a new dvd drive? Or does the 360 have some kind of security lock out code that wont accept any other hardware? Im reluctant to send my 360 in because i heard it takes weeks to get it back not to mention a couple of other horror stories about how people get different consoles back that dont work as well. Heard one guy had up to 4 consoles sent back to him before he finally got a working one. sharpshooter188
The repair center for the 360s is much improved now. They usually don't send you back your console though but a refurbished one. I just recently got mine back and it's refurbished. Sucks because I had my CoD:WaW installed on that and now I can't play it again :) You might be able to find some videos of people repairing it on youtube but idk how lucky you will get with that. I think if you want to send it in though, it will cost like $100.
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 FOR3SKIN

[QUOTE="FOR3SKIN"][QUOTE="skyskeek"]Micro didn't do there homework on them before they put them out on the market there is 2 processors in them an the heatsinks get so hot you can't put hand on them plus they use 2 Xclamps on the bottom of the board when the chips get hot the pressure from the xclamps warp the board an cause cold solder joints when this happens the processors are no longer connected to the board when you send it for repair they remilt the solder joints an do away with xclamps an use a better heatsink compound between the chip and heatsink the newer ones made made in 2008 have what is Jasper chip an run much cooler in !!/2008 they came out with a more cooler running chip

meme378

Do you know what this secondary code means? I just tried it on my 360 and the lights have flashed in this sequence-4, 1, 4, 2.

heres a link with the Secondary codes and there meaning. Good luck. If you need more help, try EllisonsMP3repair.com. http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-error-codes.htm
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 FOR3SKIN
4=0, so you would have "error 0102". Best as I can tell this IS from overheating. This particular code could be fixed by replacing the thermal compound, but not always. If you get this post, try switching your AV cable to HDTV and then back to TV (or vice versa if you have an HDTV). That actually works about 10% of the time. otherwise, it will have to be sent in. I hope this helps.
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
i just got flashing red lights on my xbox even when i turn it off and back on again multiple times how do i fix it?
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 FOR3SKIN
Did you[QUOTE="Jdog30"]i just got flashing red lights on my xbox even when i turn it off and back on again multiple times how do i fix it?

Is it the RRoD? (three red lights) or something els?
D_Alexandre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 D_Alexandre
Member since 2007 • 32 Posts

hey,

My problem was i had a green screen (could still play) but a day later i had no image at all (video card problem i guess)

I Just send my xbox yesterday and got a email that told me it is already repair and ship... it is normal ? in 1 day ?

(Sorry for my english)

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Just got RROD, went to the repair console page on xbox.com, MS says my 3 year warranty is expired, am I SOL? Because if I am i'd be ready to cry...Seriously.
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 FOR3SKIN
Just got RROD, went to the repair console page on xbox.com, MS says my 3 year warranty is expired, am I SOL? Because if I am i'd be ready to cry...Seriously.Im_single
Don't freak, it just means they wont fix it for free. Lets find out whats wrong........Turn on your 360 and let it red light. Hold down the sync button and push eject. It will flash a secondary code. Do this four times and post the code here. I'll try and help. 4=0 1=1 2=2 3=3 Post your four digit code.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Im_single
[QUOTE="Im_single"]Just got RROD, went to the repair console page on xbox.com, MS says my 3 year warranty is expired, am I SOL? Because if I am i'd be ready to cry...Seriously.FOR3SKIN
Don't freak, it just means they wont fix it for free. Lets find out whats wrong........Turn on your 360 and let it red light. Hold down the sync button and push eject. It will flash a secondary code. Do this four times and post the code here. I'll try and help. 4=0 1=1 2=2 3=3 Post your four digit code.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Im_single
Checked it out for myself, seems I'm screwed, oh well...Found a receipt of a game the day I bought my 360, May 5 2006, seems I'm still under warranty, just need to find the actual console receipt now and then I can challenge the warranty, wish me luck.
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 FOR3SKIN
[QUOTE="FOR3SKIN"][QUOTE="Im_single"]Just got RROD, went to the repair console page on xbox.com, MS says my 3 year warranty is expired, am I SOL? Because if I am i'd be ready to cry...Seriously.Im_single

Its overheating. If when you turn it on, it goes straight to the RROD, thats bad......sorry. You may have to pay to fix it, or scrap it. I don't think changing the thermal compound will fix this one. The "towel trick" may work for a while, but I'm afraid that it may be on its way out......I'm really sorry =( If you decide to fix it over replacing it, I suggest a independent website over MS. Longer turn around but cheaper.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Im_single
[QUOTE="FOR3SKIN"][QUOTE="Im_single"][QUOTE="FOR3SKIN"] Don't freak, it just means they wont fix it for free. Lets find out whats wrong........Turn on your 360 and let it red light. Hold down the sync button and push eject. It will flash a secondary code. Do this four times and post the code here. I'll try and help. 4=0 1=1 2=2 3=3 Post your four digit code.

Its overheating. If when you turn it on, it goes straight to the RROD, thats bad......sorry. You may have to pay to fix it, or scrap it. I don't think changing the thermal compound will fix this one. The "towel trick" may work for a while, but I'm afraid that it may be on its way out......I'm really sorry =( If you decide to fix it over replacing it, I suggest a independent website over MS. Longer turn around but cheaper.

Mmm...Yeah, kinda cheap for MS to say I'm no longer under warranty but I am (Bought the system May 5 2006) and then my 360 RROD and they say too bad, pay up sucker. Bad luck on my part that I can't seem to find the damn receipt for my console, I have my Wii receipt, My DS receipt, my PS3 receipt, I even have a receipt for a game i I bought the same day I got my 360, but no freaking Xbox 360 receipt! Man...No money to repair it either, dammit. Only good news is I bought RE5 for PS3 instead of 360, lucky bit of clairvoyance on my part I guess.
FOR3SKIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 FOR3SKIN
If its broken then....... trying to fix it yourself wont hurt it right? I have a small repair biz where I fix iPods and consoles. I just kind of fell into it. I had a broken PS2 that I couldest afford to fix, so I tried it myself and the rest is history. Now Im fixing between 5 an 10 consoles a week. Its easier than you think. EllisonsMP3repair.com
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
[QUOTE="FOR3SKIN"]Did you[QUOTE="Jdog30"]i just got flashing red lights on my xbox even when i turn it off and back on again multiple times how do i fix it?

Is it the RRoD? (three red lights) or something els?

it's the RRoD,
eggsngaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 eggsngaming
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts

Isn't Microsoft supposed to send you a box, which you'll use to send in the 360? I contacted customer support online, gave them my serial number, etc. Then I got an email saying they're processing my request to repair my console. That was February 20, almost a month ago, and they I haven't received a box yet.

D_Alexandre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 D_Alexandre

Hi,

I have 2 questions. I recently send my xbox for repair this week and they send me a new console, i don't know if it a brand new console because when i turned it on i had a 3 red light (RROD) so I repluged the cable / reboot console... and it was ok after that.

It was the first time i turned it on since i have it... I have no idea what really happened.

Should i be worried or can it be normal (Like cable problem)?

When they send you a new console it is brand new ?

flavian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#236 flavian2
Member since 2006 • 284 Posts

hi everyone, I have a few of questions. I got the red rings yesterday but something weird keeps happening. I unplug everything like the help thread says and everything works fine. I restart the console an i get the red rings again. The next day i start up the console, red rings, I unplug and replug everything and then it works. Its like a pattern. Should i send it in for repair or is there something i can do myself?

My second question is in regards to to the warranty, I enterd my serial number of my 360 on xbox.com and says that my warranty has expired. If all consoles get a standard 3 year warranty(and i bought mine at around the end of 2006) then logically it should be void untill the end of 2009 otherwise they will charge me $110.00. If i send them my 360 with the receipt attached will they relize that themselves or do I have to file a complaint?(or one of those warranty dispute forms?)

Lastly, if i send my xbox to be fixed do I just send them the console itself? OR the console, the hardrive and all the wires that come with it? Is it a new console that they send me or is it refurbished?

Thanks in advance for your help and support

shawnyboy12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 shawnyboy12
Member since 2006 • 280 Posts

I was so happy yesterday when I got my 360 back.....and then after about two hours I got the e74 error. It's not the fact that I got it that angers me, its just that now I have to wait double the wait time (or more if the people are fix it are completely stupid and don't fix it again) for the problem that should have been fixed the first time. Looks like no Xbox for me for a while.

xbox360fix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 xbox360fix
That's why I dont send my console to Microsoft cause it's gonna waste my money and time! Check this video out to see if you are interested in fixing the E74 error yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNLQdnze5o
xbox360fix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 xbox360fix
I agree with FOR3SKIN. Lots of gamers tend to fix the RROD, E74 error themselves. You don't really require to be very techy as there are many guides out there that will show you step by step instructions. If done properly, i could fix many problems www.xbox360problemfix.com
skyskeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 skyskeek

The spike protector does not cause rrod if the power supply does not get enough power the power supply lite will be orange when you plug it in a serpate outlet the lite should be green the console should operate then

skyskeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 skyskeek

Does anyone know what bad flashing is? What is done to cause this which is error code E64 the internet says that it is caused by the dvd drive being not plud in or a bad solder joint in the dvd drive circuit. the error causes one red lite in the right lower side of the circle What does any one know about this?

xbox360fix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 xbox360fix
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

Just fixed two 360s today that had RROD!

The X-Clamp fix does work people. If you are out of warranty, check it out. You get a step by step guide and all the stuff needed (or you can just buy the screws and everything else yourself and will cost under 10$). Its not that hard to fix, took me about 2 hours to do 2 of them today. Working like new again.

Anyways, no this isnt advertising, just a heads up for people who have no warranty anymore and who got RROD. Its well worth checking this out people.

Have no idea how to fix the E74 error, but the RROD alot of the time is very easy process to fix (not the silly towerl trick lol).

planetkyle
Where do you recommend to purchase this repair kit and/or video? RROD last week and going to Microsoft. But come Nov Im out of the three year warranty...Thanks

hey mate, if you want to know how do to the x-clamp fix, head over to www.xbox360problemfix.com Get the recommended repair guide from there, it's 1 of the most sought after
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

i got a 3 74 bottum right any idea what this means

fearino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 fearino
Member since 2004 • 330 Posts

Don't make the same mistake like i did here. My 360 finally died on me 3 days ago, so this morning i gave xbox customer support a call to arrange for my 360 to be repaired since my date of purchase is within the 3 years warranty. So after explaining what is wrong with my console and giving her the serial no. to the lady at the other end of the line, she told me to pay$140 as my 360 died because of one bottom right quadrant red ring(E74) and not the 3RROD.

It was only at this time that i decided to google it and check for the details of the extended 3 years warranty but i came across numerous websites that state 'Microsoft to suffer 1b dollars in repair cost as they extended their warranty coverage to 3 years.' Which didn't say that the 3 years warranty plan is specifically meant for the 3RROD.

I know it's my carelessness for missing out on the 3RROD-only-plan and assume that the 3 year warranty period include all types of hardware defects.

I also know that to include all types of hardware malfunction in the 3 year warranty plan seems abit too much for microsoft to bear, just hope that my dear xbox could display 3RROD instead of 1 :)

Note: I bought my 360 on 22nd March 2006. I have tried removing my harddrive but it doesn't change anything. Some say that E74 means there could be a problem with my AV cable. When i start up my 360 my screen still display the error screen and i have tried using my old cable(came with the core set) and it's the same result.

Ahh sad day for me indeed. Wish everybody's 360 would stay healthy for a long period :)

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts

can't check the av cord since i don't have another one and sure doesn't look like there any problem with it

D_Alexandre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 D_Alexandre

The spike protector does not cause rrod if the power supply does not get enough power the power supply lite will be orange when you plug it in a serpate outlet the lite should be green the console should operate then

skyskeek

Yeah, that what i tought. I'm playing with my xbox for 5 days and didnt saw any RROD again, just the first time i turned it on. :S

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
so, i just got the rrod on my 360, thanks to a defect in my re5 disk. not sure how it caused it. just know it did; you could tell on the back of the disk that is was visibly messed up. so, im in the market for a new 360. i dont think i have the receipt as it was a gift. can i still get it fixed? if not, whats suggested in terms of a new 360s chipset: what should i look for, any suggestions on model, etc? thanks
Flambemoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Flambemoi
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

My 4th xbox just received the 3 RROD, so I'm shipping it out soon. As I understood it on the xbox site, if your xbox has either 3 or 4 RROD and it is less than 3 years old then you qualify for the free repair. Otherwise it's 100 bucks to fix it. I noticed that the charge dropped from $100 to $0 after I tried to do the repair thing online and selected the problem description as 3 RROD.

Is anyone else out there on their fifth xbox already? I've heard of some people being in the double digits already!