The Broken 360 Thread v. 3 -- RROD, E74 Queries In Here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by quinnd6 (507 posts) -

I was wondering has anyone who got the rrod been plugging their 360 directly into a wall socket?

I heard somewhere that apparently you're supposed to plug the 360 directly into the wall and are advised not to use an extension lead.

I think that's a load of bs though.

I only have one wall socket in my bedroom so do Microsoft expect me to install another wall socket in my bedroom just to power my 360?

#102 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

NO!!

Can someone help? I only had my 360 for 2 months. I was playing lostplanet, and it froze....

Then, I put the electricity off(Yh, I know I wasn't supposed to put the main switch off). I waited about 5 seconds and powered everything back on with the name of god... My 360 got the RROD :cry:

Fortunately, after trying again, it was OK.

So, can anyone tell me if this is a sign of RROD coming? I really think it is, and I only have my 'new' 360 for 2 months.

GANGSTASAN

This could be RROD on its way man sorry to say. Same thing happened to me when i got RROD.

If your 360 is still under warranty, then call up MS and get yours sent off to them and then will replace it or fix it. If its not under warranty then message me and i can help ya fix it yourself.

#103 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Wow,i just cant believe people even consider (modding)there 360 because of this problem.I cant wait to get a PS3,& when i do,im trading in my RROD 360 console.I would feel bad about it but I asked Gamestop and they said it doesnt matter because all traded 360's are sent off to have new parts put in somewhere.After that they are sent back to the retailers to be sold.In case anyone was wondering.Aceconn

It sucks that the 360s hardware is so bad man, but the library of games is so much bette rthen ps3 (i own both systems).

Unfortunatly i had a 360 that was out of warranty and got RROD, so MS wanted 149.99$ to fix it. Ended up fixing it myself, along with two of my friends 360's. Might as well take your 360 apart and FIX the problem that is causing the RROD IF YOUR 360 ISNT UNDER WEARRANTY ANYMORE. If you have no more options, why not replace the stupid xclamp with a more sturdy/secure option?

My friends where going to have to buy a new 360 (since it was 149$ to get it fixed and 199$ to buy a new arcade 360), but fixed it for em and its been working 100% since, no problems. For people with no options, fixing it themselves or getting a friend to do it is the only option.

#104 Posted by GANGSTASAN (2249 posts) -
[QUOTE="GANGSTASAN"]

NO!!

Can someone help? I only had my 360 for 2 months. I was playing lostplanet, and it froze....

Then, I put the electricity off(Yh, I know I wasn't supposed to put the main switch off). I waited about 5 seconds and powered everything back on with the name of god... My 360 got the RROD :cry:

So, can anyone tell me if this is a sign of RROD coming? I really think it is, and I only have my 'new' 360 for 2 months.

kozzy1234

This could be RROD on its way man sorry to say. Same thing happened to me when i got RROD.

If your 360 is still under warranty, then call up MS and get yours sent off to them and then will replace it or fix it. If its not under warranty then message me and i can help ya fix it yourself.

Argh, damn it. My 360 is only 2 months old, and I don't play much

Well, I was just playing for about 3 hours after it happened, and everything was fine.

#105 Posted by quinnd6 (507 posts) -

If the average guy on the street can fix a 360 how come Microsoft who are supposed to have professionals can not fix the darn problem and make it not happen again.

#106 Posted by SOedipus (10788 posts) -
I just got my second E74. All I did was reset the console like I did the first time and it seems to work. Am I screwed though?
#107 Posted by kingwilly811 (25 posts) -
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with my broken 360. I was playing around with the setting and I tried to change my video resolution to 1080 when my xbox display crashed and now when ever I turn it on I have the three rings. The lights in the upper left and bottom half of the power button are flashing red. Has this happened to anyone else? Im hoping that my xbox isnt toast because all I did was try and set it to 1080 on my HD tv. Any help would be great thanks.
#108 Posted by Tjeremiah1988 (16665 posts) -
when you send it your 360 you use your own box and tape the shipping label to the side of it right?Dawq902
if you requested that option,yes
Avatar image for drunkenhamster1
#109 Posted by drunkenhamster1 (117 posts) -
I am having the screen freezing error. My xbox is in a well ventalated space as is the powerbrick. I can play COD: WaW for a good 2 and a half hours with no problems but when I play Left 4 Dead, Fable 2, or Fallout 3 it's almost certain it will freeze. The games that freeze always seem to do so well loading. My xbox has frozen more times in the past 2 days than my PC ever has in its lifetime(3 years). If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.
#110 Posted by planetkyle (174 posts) -
Now that is an intellegent response! That makes sense, because why else would overheating a console make it function properly?
#111 Posted by planetkyle (174 posts) -

Alot of people know i am a huge MS supporter (own the xbox and xbxo360 and own 35+ games on 360 and about 25 for normal xbox), but these problems have really irritated me. It really sucks is you are out of warranty and the problems just happen way to much. 50% of my friends list have had problems, all my family/relatives have had problems with there 360s and alot of people online have aswell.

Ive owned every console since atari and nes and ive never had a system break this often. I take great care of my electronics nad music equipment and its just a pain to see these system be so un-reliable.

Best lineup of games maybe ever for a console the 360, but boy is it the most unreliable (only other sytem have had break on me was ps1 one time). MS better get there hardware problems better for next gen or i might not support them.

A fantastic amazing system (amazing games, best controller ever and best online ever), but hampered by hardware failures, thats the 360s story imo.

kozzy1234
100% agree man. I switched over from PS2 which died once (so I bought two in total over five years) The xbox 720 (or whatever the title will be..) MUST be a solid console with no tech issues. And fully backwards compatible. They have the best game line-up...imagine the 360 was flawless! It would have buried the PS3 even more than it has!
#112 Posted by planetkyle (174 posts) -

I'm thinking about that too. I would have moved on to a new system if it weren't for the PS3's high price and lack of games.xL33TxTALENTx

Exactly..Metal Gear Solid 4 and Killzone2 aren't enough to justify an overpriced purchase...

#113 Posted by planetkyle (174 posts) -

Just fixed two 360s today that had RROD!

The X-Clamp fix does work people. If you are out of warranty, check it out. You get a step by step guide and all the stuff needed (or you can just buy the screws and everything else yourself and will cost under 10$). Its not that hard to fix, took me about 2 hours to do 2 of them today. Working like new again.

Anyways, no this isnt advertising, just a heads up for people who have no warranty anymore and who got RROD. Its well worth checking this out people.

Have no idea how to fix the E74 error, but the RROD alot of the time is very easy process to fix (not the silly towerl trick lol).

kozzy1234
Where do you recommend to purchase this repair kit and/or video? RROD last week and going to Microsoft. But come Nov Im out of the three year warranty...Thanks
#114 Posted by Kha88NZdils (80 posts) -

I got the RRoD about three weeks ago and I sent it in. I got my Xbox back the other day, and after I have spent time playing it. I have notice that its not as loud as it use-st to be. Before it use to scream, now its a deep sound that I can barely hear. I just want to know what they do to it when you send it in, I always thought they just put a new processor in and send it back, but do they put in a new cooling system too?Pete5506

I am yet to send my old one away, but im sending mine away in a courier box thats big enough to hold the xbox console, you strip it bare (face plate, memory take them off) and i am wrapping mine in a lot of bubble wrap (i mean a lot!) never mark the box to say it is a 360, just write that it is fragile and the address whwere it has to be sent and i assume your adress so they know where to return it to.

Of my understanding, what ever is broken that can be fixaable they would fix but if its beyond repair i assume they would replace the component(s) that cannot be fixed. what you arew paying for is whoever is fixing it, to do so, regardless of new parts or fixing the old ones.

DillonNZ.

#115 Posted by damageisking (858 posts) -

I have a Jasper 360, about 1-2 months old, had reasonable play time, no marathons.
Now it doesn't have red rings, nor did it have any flicker during play, but today I switched it on after a week of not playing it (when I did it was still fine) and it won't display anything. I've done loads of tests including using other cables etc but even the controller won't connect so it's gotta be the consoles problem.

So does this sound like a premature RROD? I haven't heard anything at all about Jaspers getting them.

I've ordered X clamps and Arctic Silver 5 paste already, hopefully it should make it bulletproof.

#116 Posted by Kha88NZdils (80 posts) -

I have no idea other than the console itself that would do that, my new one is only 4 days old. No that doesnt sound like RRoD, you would be notified by the 360 if it were. Perhaps asking someone who has a better understanding of how the machine works would be a great idea.

Although I have come across people who have had similar problems, my old 360 was about a month old before it started to cause problems, such as not reading the discs although they were perfect, freezing after 10mins of play, shutting down, stuff like that. I asked the customer service persons and they hadnt a clue why, all they said was maybe it was faulty. Send it back to them and they will determine the fault, I never ended up doing so, i left the console off und un plugged for close to 2 months and then turned it back on, hadnt had a problem with it until 2-3 prior to it getting e74. Blew up in a gaming marathon on Live, we were taking a break from Live though. Decided to put a game in and play some one player (not on Live), it started to flicker on the tv then the colour went black and white on BF - Bad Company. So we changed the game, worked fine, changed it back again and thats when RRoD hit.

DilsNz

#117 Posted by Aceconn (121 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aceconn"]Wow,i just cant believe people even consider (modding)there 360 because of this problem.I cant wait to get a PS3,& when i do,im trading in my RROD 360 console.I would feel bad about it but I asked Gamestop and they said it doesnt matter because all traded 360's are sent off to have new parts put in somewhere.After that they are sent back to the retailers to be sold.In case anyone was wondering.kozzy1234

It sucks that the 360s hardware is so bad man, but the library of games is so much bette rthen ps3 (i own both systems).

Unfortunatly i had a 360 that was out of warranty and got RROD, so MS wanted 149.99$ to fix it. Ended up fixing it myself, along with two of my friends 360's. Might as well take your 360 apart and FIX the problem that is causing the RROD IF YOUR 360 ISNT UNDER WEARRANTY ANYMORE. If you have no more options, why not replace the stupid xclamp with a more sturdy/secure option?

Man i wish i had a friend that knew how to fix it,but im afraid i would damage it i the process if i did it myself.

My friends where going to have to buy a new 360 (since it was 149$ to get it fixed and 199$ to buy a new arcade 360), but fixed it for em and its been working 100% since, no problems. For people with no options, fixing it themselves or getting a friend to do it is the only option.

#118 Posted by metalmaggot46 (755 posts) -
One time i got sect. 2,3,4 lit red but apparently it was nothing since my 360 still works
#119 Posted by jmiles290 (25 posts) -
hey last summer I was about to go on a trip and I unplugged my 360 from the wall to prevent any chance of a fire, and I decided I was going to play it 15-20 minutes later, so I plugged it back in, and it wouldnt turn on, the cables are all plugged in, and nothing visible is broken, I was just wondering if you all knew what might be wrong with it.
#120 Posted by aaapotter15 (25 posts) -
I got the E74 error and my XBox was out of warranty so I had to try to fix it myself. So I got a guide and I followed all the instructions and the error was fixed for a while but then it came back. Why does Microsoft even let these things happen? Now I think that I will just have to buy another XBox. I really hate Microsoft for bailing on me and not offering any support. The error happened exactly a week after the warranty ran out.
#121 Posted by znator (550 posts) -

NO!!

GANGSTASAN
Your safe, the 360 has a tendency to RROD after a power failure, but you can restart it and it would run fine, it would be if this continued to happen that I would be really worried about it.
#122 Posted by Epak_ (10215 posts) -
Everyone with a failing 360 should also inform what model (+motherboard:Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper etc.) they have. Just a suggestion.
#123 Posted by ef8ryder (25 posts) -
booted mine up this mourning. XBOX elite DOWN! rrod!
#124 Posted by tygr47 (218 posts) -

had my XBOX PRO for a little over a year. This weekend? 1/4 red ring & E74 error. xbox wants $120 to replace.

went to best buy and found a new jasper motherboard ARCADE. heard nothing but great things so picked it up while there...

hopefully they have it figured out by now.

question: will i be able to play shivering isles from the old hard drive on the new arcade version?

#125 Posted by speedracer90 (25 posts) -
The american 360 is garbage. The 360's break because the material we use is cheap. there is a chip in the 360 that is made out of aluminum metal. In europe and germany, they use copper which has 3 times the melting point making it alot more durable. Anyways ive had my xbox for about 4 years now, and its starting to make this wierd vibration sound, that sounds like platic scraping the disc drive on and off. I turned the xbox at on its side about 45 degrees and it made the sound less noticeable. Can microsoft fix it for free? they have fixed the ring of death about 3 times now..
#126 Posted by orrytur (1666 posts) -
Hi, so my 360 has the RROD and I received the white box today. So my question is, will I get the same 2006 model(no hdmi port) but repaired or a new one? I would like a new one because I have an HDTV with an HDMI port and the newer ones got the falcon or the jasper chip which makes the console run cooler due the reduced size of the CPU and GPU. Thanks.
#128 Posted by TazDvl6000 (26 posts) -

Two weeks ago I received my Xbox 360 console back from Microsoft after it was repaired for the 3 flashing red lights. I turn on my console today and I am presented with 1 flashing red light and the error code E 74.

I can see that many people have been experiencing the E 74 code, but there doesn't seem to be consistency with what I am reading. Some people get the E 74 code and three lights and some with one light like myself. After having the 3 red flashing lights fixed 2 weeks ago and only having 1 light flashing now I don't think it is the more severe version of the error, but I wanted to check on here before considering my next move. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#129 Posted by redhawk360 (723 posts) -
Basicly i was banned from xbl like 2 hours ago and ever since i havent even been able to sign into my profile even when offline and i cant recover it, all i can do is sign in to the one on my memory card and i shouldnt be able to do that because it was deactivated when i recovered my profile on a diffrent console, anyone else had a similar problem or think they know how to fix it? I'd put this on the official xbox forum however im banned from xbl so i cant sign in...
#130 Posted by igame (129 posts) -
i finished fixing the 3 red rings...but now i get 2 red rings and the fan turns off after like 5 seconds....what happened???
#131 Posted by skyskeek (39 posts) -
You can tell a Falcon by looking in the vent holes on the power plug side you should see 2 coils standing on edge the other ones have 3 coils
#132 Posted by Aceconn (121 posts) -

Lol that's funny i've had the exact same sound come from my 360....but ive been towel tricking mine for pretty much a year now.Oh, if anyone doesnt know yet the towel trick(if used over a long term) will not give five days of gaming forever.The time it gives you get's shorter over time.Im down to 6 hours of gaming now.But having bought it used im screwed anyway's so.

The american 360 is garbage. The 360's break because the material we use is cheap. there is a chip in the 360 that is made out of aluminum metal. In europe and germany, they use copper which has 3 times the melting point making it alot more durable. Anyways ive had my xbox for about 4 years now, and its starting to make this wierd vibration sound, that sounds like platic scraping the disc drive on and off. I turned the xbox at on its side about 45 degrees and it made the sound less noticeable. Can microsoft fix it for free? they have fixed the ring of death about 3 times now..speedracer90

#133 Posted by Dictator93 (95 posts) -
I just sent in my 2nd 360 that got the rrod. Is it possible that i can get a 360 back with the falcon chip. I know this has been asked before but dont the falcon 360s use a different power supply than the original chip set (which is the one the 360 i sent in had). Do the falcon chips work with the old 203W power supplies?
#134 Posted by sgtdude762mm (25 posts) -
If you look up the 3 rrod fix and get the parts for about $20 - $30 it has a 90% sucess rate. For the cost and little effort yes it's worth your time. But if I'm reading all the post and info correct all 360 models suffer a 25% rate STILL so I have to wonder if a new one is worth it or go for a PS3. My 2nd one has died rrod and I really am considering PS3. Makes me made MS hasn't fixed this issue especially after spending hundreds on games. Oh and do NOT do the towel trick. RROD comes from over heating due to poor design.
#135 Posted by sgtdude762mm (25 posts) -
Your covered
#136 Posted by sgtdude762mm (25 posts) -
I have looked everywhere and i know this has been asked so i apologize,my xbox had e74 error so i did the add thermal compound and x clamp fix and now that is fixed and it will turn on but after just a couple of minutes it goes to rrod.Did i do something wrong or do i need to do the same with the gpu such as compund and x clamp fix please respond,thanks alot.cbfromthesc
Ok If I understand you did the fix to the processor heat sink. Yes..The biggest problem is with the GPU and heatsink so yes you need to do the fix to those as well.
#137 Posted by _jim_bob_ (25 posts) -
I recently got my Premium back (took 9 days... pretty quick). Had it 2 years and the screen went crazy whilst playing Fable 2. Looked like a Spectrum booting up was overlaid on the image and everything was green and black. No red lights, but when I callto report it, it sounded like the lady knew what the problem was.

A replaced Mobo and DVD drive later... all is well. Feel better about taking out the MS warranty now.
#138 Posted by Raziel052 (79 posts) -

360 launch pro just died. Worth it to get the arcade with all the bells and wistles?

#139 Posted by GANGSTASAN (2249 posts) -
[QUOTE="GANGSTASAN"]

NO!!

znator
Your safe, the 360 has a tendency to RROD after a power failure, but you can restart it and it would run fine, it would be if this continued to happen that I would be really worried about it.

I don't think I'm safe..... My 360 froze a lot of times before, and don't tell me thats usual?
#140 Posted by Hitchy9 (2054 posts) -
So I recently got the e74 and one red ring problem.... I've been doing my research and now have come to understand that this isn't counted as a red ring problem and doesn't fall under the warranty policy?! What a load of bs. So due to a problem I have no control over MS will force me to fork out cash to repair a console that will almost certainly break again in the future? Wow, I'm so pissed right now.
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
#141 Posted by II-FBIsniper-II (18067 posts) -
I think my 360 decided to stop reading discs. I'm not getting the disc unreadable error (can you even get that with NXE?) but every time I put in a disc it says it is reading it for about 10 seconds then it asks if I want to open the tray. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm pretty sure this isn't covered by the warranty (got it January 2007).
#142 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -
Wow.. my dad called my to say he jsut got his 360 back in the mail (a new one they said). And no joke, 45mins after turning it on and playing some Forza2, it got RROD again! Blasphemy i tell ya! What BS!! If MS sends you a console it shoudl at least work for awhile geeez. nows hes gotta wait again for repairs, when he just got it yesterday!
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
#143 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -
Well, I was playing some Fable 2, and the screen went all crazy with green snow. Then the E74 error popped up. After trying different cables I have to assume I'm going to be sending it in for repair. I checked the 360 website and it seems I'm 3 weeks out of warranty. Wow, that's an awfully amazing coincidence. That's $100 that could be better spent on something else. Oh well, at least I've got Killzone 2 to keep me busy while I wait.
#144 Posted by Aaron89 (3377 posts) -

I think my 360 decided to stop reading discs. I'm not getting the disc unreadable error (can you even get that with NXE?) but every time I put in a disc it says it is reading it for about 10 seconds then it asks if I want to open the tray. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm pretty sure this isn't covered by the warranty (got it January 2007).II-FBIsniper-II

My friend's Arcade unit did that after about one week; ouch. As far as personal action, there isn't much you can do. He would just sit there for 5 minutes getting it to read a disc, then it would work. Strangely, once it worked, it worked fine 'til he turned it off (i.e. that session). We joked that he needed to warm up his system ...

You can try and see if they'll cover it, man. Be nice and courteous, talk to the supervisor, and hope for the best. Of course, yelling and screaming might work, too.

Good Luck. :)

#145 Posted by II-FBIsniper-II (18067 posts) -
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"]I think my 360 decided to stop reading discs. I'm not getting the disc unreadable error (can you even get that with NXE?) but every time I put in a disc it says it is reading it for about 10 seconds then it asks if I want to open the tray. Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm pretty sure this isn't covered by the warranty (got it January 2007).Aaron89
My friend's Arcade unit did that after about one week; ouch. As far as personal action, there isn't much you can do. He would just sit there for 5 minutes getting it to read a disc, then it would work. Strangely, once it worked, it worked fine 'til he turned it off (i.e. that session). We joked that he needed to warm up his system ... You can try and see if they'll cover it, man. Be nice and courteous, talk to the supervisor, and hope for the best. Of course, yelling and screaming might work, too. Good Luck. :)

I did pretty much what your friend did. I also cleared my cache, which didn't seem to do much, but after I managed to get it read the disc I haven't had the problem. But yeah, if my problem becomes more serious I'll try and contact customer support. If they don't cover, I could always try and pass it off as RROD and hope they give me another console. :P Thanks for the help.
#146 Posted by tftmc08 (25 posts) -
I had a XBOX360 Pro Package, and I had some problems recently. I've gotten the E74 Message, and it was the second time my XBOX360s broke. I had experiened white lines going from top to bottom. So I decided to shut it off. When I turned it back on I got the E74 Error Message. Now I'm getting it fixed by Microsoft for free. (I hope it's an FEB09 Manufactuer they send me.) I do NOT have a hacked XBOX360 or mods or anything. Just a plain regular old XBOX360 with a safe internet connection. I'm pretty sure it just overheated and the Video Card or processor went, whatever the issue I'm very concerned about my Hard Drive causing problems again, and I'll tell you what happened, so those who might know can help better.

I brought my Hard Drive over to a friend's house, AFTER my XBOX360 went bad. I used the Hard Drive on his XBOX360. Now his was a "Referb" in the sense that an amatuer took a 'broken' one, opened it up and replaced the needed parts. We played for a short time and lines were showing up quickly too, we subsequently shut it off, turned it back on and his also got the E-74 message. BUT I read several forums that said an update from NOV08 caused "hacked," modded or amatuerly repaired, somehow this update will screw your XBOX360 up. It doesn't make sense to me, unless there was a sensor somewhere that let the XBOX360 know it was being opened from it's seal, is there one? This update was put out to supposedly so Microsoft could cause these XBOX's to malfunction in just the way described earlier. And it only seemed to happen to people who have had mods or hacked Xboxs'. This would of course cause them to have to buy new ones, resulting in good profits for the 08 Christmas Season...

I will remind you of the issues...

-My XBOX360 Pro Broke, got E74 message, IT ISN'T modded, hacked or referbed, in fact it's a replacement from Microsoft.
-Checked it out, typical troubleshooting, using other plugs, etc etc. Nothing worked and i'm getting the replacement this week.
-Brought my Hard Drive over to a friends, plugged it in to his hacked/modded/fixed XBOX and the same message came up after we experienced white lines covering the screen, shut it off, got E74 message on his XBOX....
-Since I've read that only Hacked XBOXs get this problem from this NOV08 update. BUT he also leaves in on a lot and watches Videos almost all day. So it could be a weird coincidence. But I doubt it.
-Getting a new XBOX360 from Microsoft back this week, and am concerned about using the Hard Drive again. I play games like FORZA2 and have tunes on cars I'll never get right again...And I don't want ALL my Achievement points gone, saved games, and basically have to start from Scratch.

So my question is, WHEN I get my new XBOX360 from Microsoft, will it be safe to plug in my Hard Drive which caused problems to my Friend's HACKED/Modded XBOX360?

Again I'll say it, MY XBOX will be new when I get it, as I'm sure you know they just replace it. And I don't want it to break because of some glitch or software issue on my XBOX's Hard Drive, but I also don't want to lose all my info, or have to deal with the same problems the day I get it back. OR have to buy a new Hard Drive.

What are my options? Are there any stores that will test XBOX360 Equipment, such as Gamestop or EB Games?

Any help?
#147 Posted by Aerozy (25 posts) -
Insure your cables are plugged in properly and make sure ur hd switch is set to what its supposed to be.
#148 Posted by Maqda7 (3299 posts) -
Im so pissed I just got RROD after 1 and a half years of fine running.
#149 Posted by Dawq902 (6796 posts) -
Once MS receives your console how long does it usually take them to repair it?
#150 Posted by II-FBIsniper-II (18067 posts) -
Once MS receives your console how long does it usually take them to repair it?Dawq902
1-3 weeks. More/less if you sent it in at the beginning of the week or towards the end.