IGN says Mass Effect 2 is the best 360 game, do you agree?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soufan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soufan123
Member since 2007 • 734 Posts

I honestly never really enjoyed Mass Effect that much. For me, the best game on 360 is Gears Of War. What do you think?

Smitticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Smitticus
Member since 2005 • 20519 Posts
Not by a long shot. I really enjoyed ME2 But there are so many frame rate issues in that game it made me turn off my consoled numerous times just becasue it felt like I couldn't get into the flow of the game.
AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

i agree , on both ps3 and xbox 360

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#4 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
Is my fav so I agree, although is reasonable if people disagree everyone has really different tastes in games, I love mass effect 1 & 2, Fallout 3 and Assassin's Creed 2
True_Chaos_UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 True_Chaos_UK
Member since 2010 • 2570 Posts

I love Mass Effect 2 but as part of the Mass Effect universe, I think I enjoyed 1 more even low 2 had more inproved aspects gunplay eg, but was watered down I loved kitting out my weapons and armour for me and my team. Plus the story was better in the first.

julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts

Its definitely up there, but I don't think I could ever make a solid decision as to which is actually the best.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

I honestly never really enjoyed Mass Effect that much. For me, the best game on 360 is Gears Of War. What do you think?

soufan123

its a great game. but I prefer Fallout3.

SilentSoprano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SilentSoprano
Member since 2007 • 4446 Posts

I would say Halo 3, Gears of War, GTA 4 or Fallout 3 should have that title over Mass Effect 2. I never understood people's fascination with the ME games. They just seemed like KOTOR in another universe to me.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

The game is garbage

It's either a weak RPG or a weak action game.

Then again it's IGN so I don't expect them to know much about games

Jaysonguy
i can't help but agree a little bit, but saying its garbage would be going too far. --------------------------------- Games like gears of war would own it action wise, story, graphics and having rpg elements is all it has going for it imo.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#11 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

No, I'd go with Halo 3. But I respect their opinion. Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

No....one of the best maybe.

Schreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Schreek
Member since 2007 • 1637 Posts

Bioshock is the best game this generation in my opinion. IGN had it at #2 I believe.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

AmnesiaHaze
also on modern day pc
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#15 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
No way. IGN are the biggest Mass Effect fanboys ever. No matter what game comes out, it will never be better than ME to them. My personal favorite is either Gears of War 2 or Alan Wake.
gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts
I think ME2 is the best. So yes i agree.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
The ME games are pretty good I'll give em that, but I don't think they're the "best." Not by a long shot.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The game is garbage

BFKZ

i can't help but agree a little bit, but saying its garbage would be going too far. --------------------------------- Games like gears of war would own it action wise, story, graphics and having rpg elements is all it has going for it imo.

I don't think it's too far, the game has nothing of quality going for it.

If you strip away the Mass Effect title what are you left with? A game that's woefully lacking as an action title that's so freaking generic it's inexcusable with it's "hey let's walk a bit and oh no some boxes, expect a fight" level design and the game was streamlined so much that all the RPG elements are missing in the game.

Mass Effect 2 was a big "we hope you're not too dense to play this" from Bioware. For whatever reason they felt that having control over your character's customization is bad and that when it comes to gameplay the most basic and generic is best.

I'm really hoping they learned from 2 and make 3 better because right now all they have is the story and that alone doesn't put this game in the top 20 let alone number one.

Avatar image for JusticeFromSeed
JusticeFromSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JusticeFromSeed
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

I think Gears sucks and ME1 > ME2. Claiming there's one single game that is the greatest just isn't possible. You're going to make your choice based on a certain criteria, which by definition makes it biased. Choosing a best game for each genre, I can see as at least being a bit more accurate.

Shooters: I'm a huge Battlefield fan, but I'm going to say Vegas II. Good story, shooter, online, etc. etc.

RPG: Ok, yeah, I can see ME1 or 2 here. Possibly Oblivion or RDR. That one is iffy.

Sports: NBA 2k12.

Racing: NFS: Most Wanted

etc. etc.

Highest Grossing: CoD 5,037 The Black Modern World 3.

etc. etc.

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
Its an pretty amazing game. But the best 360 game has to go to Tales of Vesperia.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

No. I do disagree. But it is a valid choice.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Mass Effect 1 was way better than ME 2. But to call it the best game on the 360 is pushing it...and pushing it real hard that it is untrue...

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

That Mass Effect games are good, but that's just it. They're good. I don't see myself coming back to it after playing through it once.

I prefer Bethesda's RPGs, Oblivion and Fallout. Fallout 3 is such an astounding game, it really takes my breath away.

Battlefield 3 looks like it will be another all time fave this year, and Gears 3 looks up there too. But I don't know, I just couldn't ever consider Mass Effect my favorite game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yep, I would agree with that.

vashkilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vashkilla
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

[QUOTE="BFKZ"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

The game is garbage

Jaysonguy

If you strip away the Mass Effect title what are you left with? A game that's woefully lacking as an action title that's so freaking generic it's inexcusable with it's "hey let's walk a bit and oh no some boxes, expect a fight" level design and the game was streamlined so much that all the RPG elements are missing in the game.

Mass Effect 2 was a big "we hope you're not too dense to play this" from Bioware. For whatever reason they felt that having control over your character's customization is bad and that when it comes to gameplay the most basic and generic is best.

I'm really hoping they learned from 2 and make 3 better because right now all they have is the story and that alone doesn't put this game in the top 20 let alone number one.

LOL U MAD BRO?

Even if it doesn't appeal to you don't go bashing a game that has universal praise from basically everywhere just cause you dont like it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Mass Effect is gonna be in "best talks" list for a long time coming. So it was no surprise that it was number 1 on that list. Even if it doesn't look deserving in your eyes, its still a top 5 contender hands down to everybody else.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

No. ME2 is a great game for sure but they should have enhanced the RPG features not dumb them down to almost nothingness. The story also could have been a little better because it kinda came off like filler material to me. They just wanted to buffer something in between ME1 and ME3. Besides its multiplat now which puts it lower on the list for best game on a system. The best 360 game or game series on the 360 is Gears imo and gears 3 will be the best 360 game in the end. Honorable mentions to Halo as well.

YoungSinatra25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 YoungSinatra25
Member since 2009 • 4314 Posts

Don't really think much of IGN's opinion.
ME2 is good but not great. The RPG elements are lacking and the combat is stale. Wonderful story and characters though...

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I love ME2, but the first Gears of War is my favorite - not a fan of Gears online though.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
one of the best games easily but the best for me 1 gears of war 2 2 gta iv 3 alan wake 4 halo reach 5 alan wake
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="BFKZ"] i can't help but agree a little bit, but saying its garbage would be going too far. --------------------------------- Games like gears of war would own it action wise, story, graphics and having rpg elements is all it has going for it imo.vashkilla

LOL U MAD BRO?

Even if it doesn't appeal to you don't go bashing a game that has universal praise from basically everywhere just cause you dont like it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Mass Effect is gonna be in "best talks" list for a long time coming. So it was no surprise that it was number 1 on that list. Even if it doesn't look deserving in your eyes, its still a top 5 contender hands down to everybody else.

Mass Effect is probably my favorite game on the console and one of my favorite games of all time

Mass Effect 2 is nothing but a bad game that rides on the previous game's success

What did you like best about Mass Effect 2? The awful action or the awful role playing? I'm really interested to know how you think that Mass Effect 2 is better then the first or what part of it's gameplay or level design is better then the top 50 games on the console.

When it comes down to it the only reason that Mass Effect 2 scored so high is that it followed the story from the first, besides that it has nothing worth playing for.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
lolno.
tomrocks666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tomrocks666
Member since 2005 • 3569 Posts

nah i found mass effect 2 really tedious, i could never properly get into it. my vote goes to gears or bioshock.

famunda666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 famunda666
Member since 2010 • 167 Posts

Kind of sad they picked a multiplatform game over an exclusive to be the BEST on the 360. I think the best multiplatform game is Mass effect 1 or 2 or Borderlands. The best Exclusive (for my taste) would have to be Gears 2, halo Reach and/or Fable 3. Not bashing the 360 or anything (as I sold my PS3 after the big hacking debacle) but I wish MS would either make or aquire more unique exclusive IP's.

What happened to the perfect dark/Chrome hounds/Kameo franchises? It just seems that in order to stay ahead of the game they should be cranking out more exclusive, quality, unique titles that are full games not just XBLA titles. Sure we get the occasional PC games Like the Dragon knight saga or Risen, games that Sony doesnt get, but they really aren't exclusive, and sometimes not really a quality game.

Im just saying, in my opinion the 360 NEEDS more Exclusives.

famunda666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 famunda666
Member since 2010 • 167 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkilla"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

LOL U MAD BRO?

Mass Effect is probably my favorite game on the console and one of my favorite games of all time

Mass Effect 2 is nothing but a bad game that rides on the previous game's success

What did you like best about Mass Effect 2? The awful action or the awful role playing? I'm really interested to know how you think that Mass Effect 2 is better then the first or what part of it's gameplay or level design is better then the top 50 games on the console.

When it comes down to it the only reason that Mass Effect 2 scored so high is that it followed the story from the first, besides that it has nothing worth playing for.

Ok so don't play it then. Some of us really thought it was a great game. I thought neither the role playing or the action was aweful. You shouldn't bash some one just because they liked it.

IOwnsGh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IOwnsGh2
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
Its an pretty amazing game. But the best 360 game has to go to Tales of Vesperia.SonicNextGen2
I second this.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

while i thoroughly enjoy Mass Effect 2.

Left 4 Dead 2 still remains my favorite 360 game thus far.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11784 Posts

[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

boybrushdred

also on modern day pc

lol no

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

I agree with that.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

no, its good, but no

my mine gripe is the AI, which isnt a big issue unless u play on insanity, then ull wanna punch ur buddies in the face for being so stupid, and i dont wanna even mention what urll wanna do to the eneimes

in mass effect (1 & 2) the difficulties seem haphazardly put together ("yeah make the enemies stronger... OK, we're done") which ends up making mass effect seem cheap instead of hard (atleast on hard), and ur team is usually too stupid to aid you (mainly cause their dead) because they give u such limited control over them. the game overall isnt designed to be uber hard and the fact that they added a hard mode brings it down (in the same way a good single player game may get poorer reviews for having a poor multiplayer then it if didnt have multiplayer at all).

still a good game, but best... well i never really care about what game sites say about games cause of the bais and other factors

luc11044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 luc11044
Member since 2004 • 4606 Posts

Mass Effect is one of my favorites series this generation HOWEVER, there is no way I would say Mass Effect 2 is the best 360 game.

If we are strictly looking at 360 exclusives, I'd have to go with Halo Reach or Tales of Vesperia.

MassiveKaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 MassiveKaos
Member since 2006 • 3876 Posts

Up to this point the Mass Effect series is the only popular game i have struggled to get into. Put off the first one for months before finally being able to sit down and play through it. The second one im still putting off. Im 9 hours into Fallout 3 and its a MUCH better game than what i have played for mass effect already :/. Id also put GTAIV, Read Dead, Halo 3, Gears 1, Borderlands and my game of the gen, Bioshock well above it.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#42 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

ME2 introduces a new enemy who one shots the Normandy when it was at its prime given the conclusion of ME1. Most of ME2 is spent trying to learn about these new enemies who are defeated quite easily using the lame Independence Day movie B.S. The story itself... gee the new enemies are called Collectors... and they're hitting human colonies and not leaving anyone... gee I wonder what they're doing ? Maybe collecting people... ? Naaahh. Lets go investigate a few more galaxies while they fly away every time we arrive for some reason. Why they don't one shot the ship again /shrug.

None of the characters are likeable. They introduce a whole new cast of miscreants most of whom are borderline psychopaths or criminals one being responsible for a near Krogan genocide, another tattoo'd 90 pound sinead o'connor full of angst, a so called pure krogan ultimate warrior who is mostly failsausage, a matronly starfish head who talks like a mormon and doesn't put out, and some other dbags I don't care to mention who are basically red shirts like in star trek you don't really give a damn about if they died. At least I didn't.

The best game on any system is one where you pay 60 bucks and can actually play the damn thing for weeks or months with replay value. I'm not going to waste my money on something that can't be replayed after one week. ME2 was a rental at best. I'm glad thats all I did, bargain bin now if you want.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#43 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I like the Mass Effect series alot, but I wouldn't say ME2 is the best game on the 360. It's ONE of the best, but not THE best.

Deathtransit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Deathtransit
Member since 2007 • 3086 Posts
ME 2 is a great game but I think I have to give the nod to the game that made Gears feel stale and boring: Vanquish.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#45 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Nah I'd agree if it was the first Mass Effect.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'm currently playing Shadows of the Damned and I'm enjoying it a lot more than ME2. I didn't find ME2 to be anything special. In fact, I'd say the original was better. As for the best 360 game, I'd give that honour to Red Dead Redemption.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Personally I think it's a tie between Oblivion, ME2 and Red Dead.
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

I couldn't agree more! Mass Effect 1 and 2 are equally one of my top favorite games ever.

ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

ME2 introduces a new enemy who one shots the Normandy when it was at its prime given the conclusion of ME1. Most of ME2 is spent trying to learn about these new enemies who are defeated quite easily using the lame Independence Day movie B.S. The story itself... gee the new enemies are called Collectors... and they're hitting human colonies and not leaving anyone... gee I wonder what they're doing ? Maybe collecting people... ? Naaahh. Lets go investigate a few more galaxies while they fly away every time we arrive for some reason. Why they don't one shot the ship again /shrug.

None of the characters are likeable. They introduce a whole new cast of miscreants most of whom are borderline psychopaths or criminals one being responsible for a near Krogan genocide, another tattoo'd 90 pound sinead o'connor full of angst, a so called pure krogan ultimate warrior who is mostly failsausage, a matronly starfish head who talks like a mormon and doesn't put out, and some other dbags I don't care to mention who are basically red shirts like in star trek you don't really give a damn about if they died. At least I didn't.

The best game on any system is one where you pay 60 bucks and can actually play the damn thing for weeks or months with replay value. I'm not going to waste my money on something that can't be replayed after one week. ME2 was a rental at best. I'm glad thats all I did, bargain bin now if you want.

Skarwolf

You can play Mass Effect 2 a heck of alot longer than most other games on the Xbox360, and every game goes in the bargain bin after awhile. So I have to ask what is your point, because you are not making one.

You are the type of player that wouldn't know what a good or great game is.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Yes Mass Effect 2 deserves it, the only other game that would be worthy would be Tales of Vesperia. To me gears, halo, gta are among some of the most overrated games of all time, they are so boring and uninteresting. I have played ME1 and ME2 multiple times and I loved each experience, and Mass Effect 3 will then take the crown as best game, or maybe Tales of Xillia will if it actually releases here.