What was the last film/television show you watched?

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#301 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

Above the Law

My Steven Seagal Super Summer Movie Extravaganza! starts off strong with "Above the Law". Nico Toscani is a cop in Chicago Police Department's vice squad. He has a history of martial arts and Japanese culture. He soon gets caught up in a crime filled with corrupt cops, drug dealers and C4 explosives.

The story of this film is quite refreshing for an action movie like this. It's quite interesting and you can't tell which cop is corrupt, or on Nico's side. This makes watching quite thrilling as it should be. The main attraction is as always the fight scenes. They boast Seagals martial arts skills and it shows extremely well. He's fighting bad guys in really creative and great to watch ways. My favourite death was when Niko reverses and drives a guy clean through a wall so he falls to his death a few stories below.

This is a great action movie. It has great action scenes, and a refreshing story. Good stuff. 7.5/10

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#302 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Watched Star Wars IV on tv yesterday. It was on tv because of the holiday.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303 aaronmullan

Dogtooth

I'm not sure whether I should love or hate this film. I know that whoever watches this is definitely going to be like me: confused. This has got to be the weirdest films I have ever seen by far. The whole thing feels like some odd dream you had and woke up to thinking "What the hell is wrong with me?"

The plot of Dogtooth is something I won't talk about as I feel it may ruin the experience of watching this movie, and that's pretty much what this movie is, an experience. The whole film is filled up with small segments, some funny, some sexual but they're all very, very strange. One of my favourite scenes involves a cat. I won't spoil it, but it is hilarious. 

Dogtooth isn't a movie you take your friends to see (unless you want to absolutely bewilder them). It's different to say the least. If you love films, and you're looking for some more weird ones to watch, I think this one will be the light in the darkness. ?/10.

Avatar image for SonicRenegade84
SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#304 SonicRenegade84
Member since 2009 • 6096 Posts

Ok, before I start this,I need three spoons of sugar, a cup of laxatives and a copy of this movie on DVD so I can takea large **** on it. Other than that, here we go......

So this is what we have to deal with. It is a live-action film adaptation based on the first season of the animated television series Avatar: The Last Airbender. The film stars Noah Ringer as Aang, a reluctant hero who prefers adventure over his job as the Avatar. Aang and his friends, Katara and Sokka, journey to the North Pole to find a Waterbending master to teach Aang and Katara the secrets of the craft. At the same time, Fire Lord Ozai, the current Fire Lord of the Fire Nation, is waging a seemingly endless war against the Earth Kingdom, the Water Tribes, and the already vanquished Air Nomads.

Sonic Says: Whether this movie followed the actual story well is up to the reader, because I have no idea how the story went considering I never watched the show. Though if it has to deal with people cowaring in fear of people whose power is weaker than theres, a fish that can cause half the world to explode, or predictable plot turns, then i'm glad I never saw this poor excuse for an anime. Seriously, I can't believe they took something that kept Nickelodeon running and turned it into something that made Dragonball: Evolution seem like a masterpiece. If it's any constilation, the graphics were good, though that's about it. Though really, I blame one man and one man only. A man whose films have been bad since I can remember. A man who I swore I would never see another movie from again and this was his last chance to impress me, and he once again blew it. That man is...

M NIGHT ****ING SHYAMALAN!

Seriously, is it that damn hard to make a good movie for once? Besides PROBABLY "The Sixth Sense", he has YET to make a movie that has impressed me in the latest. I don't blame the actors, because they were trying to make this movie work. It was the writing, the storyline, everything. I blame this man for it all. And I swear on my aunt and uncle's grave that if he even LOOKS at the next two Avatar (yes, **** "The Last Airbender") movies, that I will not even think twice about seeing it. I even fell asleep during half the movie for ****'s sake! If it's that bad that I can't remember any of it, then so be it. It was that bad. Now....I have to send this directly to that muslim down the road.

*Sonic takes this reviewand puts it in an envelope. He then goes to M.Night's house and sticks it in his mail. As soon as he reads it, he is poisoned with Anthrax. Sonic then watches as ironically, his house explodes while Sonic walks slowly in the background.*

Overall: "The Last Time I See This ****ing Movie" gets 1 useful water bending skill out of 5.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#305 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

*Sonic takes this reviewand puts it in an envelope. He then goes to M.Night's house and sticks it in his mail. As soon as he reads it, he is poisoned with Anthrax. Sonic then watches as ironically, his house explodes while Sonic walks slowly in the background.*

You're not the guy that made Sonic try and be dark are you?! :cry:

Avatar image for SonicRenegade84
SonicRenegade84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 SonicRenegade84
Member since 2009 • 6096 Posts
O-O I'm not sure. I'll have to investigate this further.
rocketfox129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 rocketfox129
Member since 2007 • 30833 Posts

Inglorius (refrains from putting the rest so as not to offend GS :P)

Absolutely superb, one of the best films I've seen in quite awhile

Bonus points for a brilliant use of Cat People (Putting Out The Fire) by David Bowie

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 aaronmullan

Inglorius (refrains from putting the rest so as not to offend GS :P)

Absolutely superb, one of the best films I've seen in quite awhile

Bonus points for a brilliant use of Cat People (Putting Out The Fire) by David Bowie

rocketfox129

It's spelt "Basterds" anyway :P

rocketfox129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 rocketfox129
I guarantee you that at least some mods would still go mod happy on it anyway :P
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Foolz3h
Bastard is not censored, guys!
phoenyx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 phoenyx9
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

watched 'Pandorum' last night. via my xbox - netflix instant queue.

spooky, space horror movie with a psycholgical twist. the creatures in it were very creepy. :twisted:

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 aaronmullan

Bastard is not censored, guys!Foolz3h

Hardcore 2 da core.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 aaronmullan

Punisher: War Zone

Punisher: War Zone is a movie that knows exactly who is watching it and doesn't waste a breath in getting a good story (or one at all) in. It's all out action from start to finish, and that's the greatest thing about it. 

If you've seen the first Punisher film (or know who he is anyway) then you'll be familiar with his backstory. His wife and child were murdered in front of him and he turned into a vigilante to get rid of all crime. War Zone doesn't waste any time setting up an origin story (almost as if it knows that there was a movie 4 years earlier dealing with that). Ray Stevenson plays Frank Castle with sheer menace throug hout the film, and it works. There are a few emotional scenes, but these are quickly set aside for the action.

War Zone, as the title implies is all out action. The story really doesn't play a major part in this film and if it did it would probably ruin the movie. The death scenes are definitely the highlight as they're extremely creative and just hilarious. My favourite was when Frank punches a hole through a guys face. Yes, right through his god damn face. 

Turn your brain off and enjoy the blood. 7/10

phoenyx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 phoenyx9
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

watched District 9 last night.

not a bad flick, wasn't expecting much so couldn't be disappointed. The story was a bit different, that was refreshing.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 aaronmullan

Hard to Kill

When Mason Storm finds out a plan that the mob are getting a state senator to back them up, he tries to warn everyone but the mob get to him first. Shooting him and his wife in cold blood. When Storm wakes up out of a coma 7 years later he vows revenge. The Punisher immediately comes to mind when I seen that plot. So it isn't very interesting at all.

This is about as close you get when you make a Punisher movie starring Steven Seagal, but it isn't quite as thrilling as it could be. The action in this movie is where I only got slightly interested, but even then they weren uninspired fights. I've seen Seagal do alot better fight scenes, so this just disappointed. 5/10

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 aaronmullan

Carriers

Following 28 Days Later there were many "virus" movies where most of the world has been taken out by a deadly virus and there are only a few left. This is one of them. Carriers does nothing to improve this genre or make itself unique, but it does look good.

The movie follows four survivors of a deady virus outbreak trying to survive in a post-virus world. The thing I disliked about the movie the most is that the four leads are just bland. They don't really have a good backstory and they just seem like the usual 20 something survivors you get in these movies. Nothing really happens in the movie either. They're just sort of traveling. Kind of boring. It does look great, though. I'm not sure where the movie is set but it looks fantastic and sunny.

There are better virus/zombie films out there by far. If you're really struggling to find another one then try out this one. 5/10

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

I just saw Toy Story 3.  I loved it so much!  Best movie I've seen in a very long time.

telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#318 telvisnostic
Member since 2005 • 10021 Posts
I just finished watching Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

-Absolutely fantastic movie.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 aaronmullan

Legion

Legion is one of the most awkwardly paced movies I have seen in quite a while. It feels like it has a split personality. One is all out action and one is emotional teary exposition scenes. Both seem to be boring to watch.

The film begins as the main angel character who's name I never actually figured out (I must have heard it somewhere but forgot) rips off his wings for unknown reasons and gathers an arsenal of weapons for god knows what. No pun intended. It then jumps to a gas station in the middle of nowhere that has all of the main characters stranded. Sadly enough, most of the characters are quite generic. There's the black cook, the hillbilly, the pregnant teenager and the list goes on. The problem is the characters themselves, not the actors.

While Legion takes place in the one location, it struggles to figure out what it is. The action scenes start and stop like a car in its last days, and when it does stop it's very boring to watch. When they're not shooting dudes in the face they're talking, talking and more talking. Even though it's only an hour and a half long it seems like the director decided to film a few dialogue scenes to boost the overall length. 

Legion is just a bad execution altogether. It could have been handled better if the director knew what kind of film he wanted to make, but it wasn't meant to be. 4.5/10

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 aaronmullan

The Good, the Bad and the Weird

There hasn't really been a great spaghetti western that pays homage and is a thrill ride by itself to the westerns of the 60s in quite some time. The Good the Bad and the Weird does just that... and is one of the best westerns I've seen ever. 

The movie begins with the Bad being hired to attain a treasure map currently held by a Japanese Official traveling in a train. Before he gets to the Official, the Weird steals it first. During a lengthy shoot out, the Good arrives on the scene to claim a bounty on the Bad. The Weird escapes and leaves the Good and the Bad behind. The plot itself never really becomes more than everyone (except the Good) looking for the treasure and when I say everyone, come the third act it really is everyone.

The Good, the Bad and the Weird themselves are more than just characters. When one of them is on screen the movie has a distinct feel. With the Good it feels very heroic, with the Bad it is very serious and often grim and with the Weird it's quite light hearted and hilarious. When they're all on screen it mixes and mixes well. 

Lengthy shoot out scenes can either be excellent or just boring to watch. Luckily thanks to Jee-woon Kims brilliant cinematography, the shoot outs are definitely the best I have seen in quite a while. There are more than a few long shots, including the Weird introduction shot of him walking through the train. It all comes together to make a stunning looking film.

I had the most fun I've had with a movie in a while with this one. I'm sure most people will if they don't take it too seriously. The Good the Bad and the Weird makes emo fringes look bad ass. 9.5/10

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 Foolz3h
I take Korean cinema very seriously, so I will hate it? :(
telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 telvisnostic
The Prestige

Hackers

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 aaronmullan

I take Korean cinema very seriously, so I will hate it? :(Foolz3h

You'll probably like it.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 Swanogt19
I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Descipable Me yesterday.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 aaronmullan

[REC] 2

When I heard they were making a [REC] 2; which I'll just be calling REC 2 from now on, I was cautious of it. The premise the had for it seemed okay, but I was afraid that it was going to be a rehash of the first and sadly, it is. 

Set approximately 1 hour after the first, REC 2 follows a SWAT team into the quarantined apartment to find some blood samples for the cure. There are about 4 of them and a doctor that go into the building. The movie seemed okay for the most part. I was happy to see men with guns going in there to deal some damage to the infected. Then the demon thing came about. Yep, instead of them being infected, they are actually possessed by demons. This threw all I loved about the original out the window. It also isn't a spoiler since it happens about 10 minutes into the movie. 

Following that the movie just slows way down to a crawl. They don't do much besides try and find the blood sample, and it even switches POV to a group of teenagers. The teenager part felt very tacked on and rushed. The film does have one good part, though, and that's the twist at the end. I didn't really see it coming, but expect a sequel. 

I am disappointed with REC 2. It's a rehash of the first and actually ruins the feeling of the first. Stay far away from this film if you enjoyed REC 1. 3/10

kingkilla3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 kingkilla3
Member since 2006 • 17193 Posts
I watched Thank You for Smoking. It was grand, 4/5.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#327 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Descipable Me yesterday.Swanogt19

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other day myself. As you can tell, I enjoyed it. :P

Yesterday I saw Predators. Pretty decent film... finally one that can live up to the original, but still chock full of strange decisions that almost kill it. Topher Grace could be cut from the movie entirely, the segment with Laurence Fishburne is pointless, the action is repetitive and the dialogue is really quite poor and cheesy. The special effects were really good though, and didn't rely 100% on CG as many movies do nowdays. Adrien Brody's performance as the lead man was surprising aswell, I haven't come to expect much out of him, especially not as a soldier. All in all, I'd give it a 6/10 probably.  

telvisnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 telvisnostic

Kung Fu Killer

Absolutely AWFUL!

Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#329 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
The Hangover. Better than I expected.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 aaronmullan
I feel bad for not watching a movie last night. /awdud.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 aaronmullan

Pandorum

When watching a horror film I feel it's good if the movie makes the viewer feel they could be in that situation. Pandorum does this and does it well. You might not see yourself in space traveling to a distant planet, but you may see yourself in a tight space with little air and almost zero room to move. This, I feel is Pandorum's strongest point. Sadly, it's only featured in a quick scene and isn't really done again for the rest of the movie.

For some reason I feel we need more space horror/thriller movies. Being in a space ship alone seems utterly terrifying to me. As you are really alone. Alien did this well, and Pandorum doesn't do it too badly. The bad thing is the monsters they're facing seem too ripped off of The Descent. They're really similar in look but the ones here in Pandorum have more armour and stuff that makes them look kind of stupid. I was expecting the movie to keep the view of them obscured for a large amount of time, but they showed them almost straight away. This disappointed me.

It also isn't really scary at all. It was thrilling when you just heard the screams of the monsters, but that was quickly diminished when they showed them and their fully stupidly armour clad glory. Did I mention how slimey the film is? Almost everything is completely covered in a slimey substance that isn't really explained at all.

Overall Pandorum is a flawed, but enjoyable film. I'm sure some people will love it, but other will possibly hate it. I feel you can definitely find worse ways to waste your time with. 5/10

Green Zone

From the same team as the last two Bourne movies, Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass reunite again for Green Zone. Which, sadly isn't as interesting or as action packed as those movies. 

The plot revolves around the conspiracy if there is in fact weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. This has been settled since 2003 and I feel this movie is a bit late to the show. It feels like it could have been an okay watch back when this whole thing was in full heat. I really wasn't that interested with this movies plot at all. The whole conspiracy thing is just redundant at this point. It felt very 2000's ish to me with all the Bush stuff. 

Sadly, the action is sparse. It only has a handfull of shoot out scenes, and they're very far between with too much exposition in between. They are great to watch though. They're quite Bourne-esque with the whole shakey cam and are quite thrilling. That's not really enough to save the movie, though. Watch if you're a fan of the Bourne series, but don't expect much. 4/10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

I watched 500 Days of Summer today.  It was pretty good, but nothing special.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 raven_squad

Kind of harsh on Pandorum, but I agree with some of the stuff you said. Definitely a flawed film, but I thought it showed a genuine spark of creativity, especially the ending. 

Anyways, for me:

It was a real treat. It had a bit of Kick-Ass flare to it, and while not being anywhere near as exciting or amusing, it was every bit as great. Quite a bit more mature, with a touching ending. I'd give it a solid 8.5/10 

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Foolz3h
The only aloneness on Alien does not last very long, and is possibly amongst the least frightening moments. :P
Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 Swanogt19

[QUOTE="Swanogt19"]I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Descipable Me yesterday.raven_squad

I watched The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo the other day myself. As you can tell, I enjoyed it. :P

Yesterday I saw Predators. Pretty decent film... finally one that can live up to the original, but still chock full of strange decisions that almost kill it. Topher Grace could be cut from the movie entirely, the segment with Laurence Fishburne is pointless, the action is repetitive and the dialogue is really quite poor and cheesy. The special effects were really good though, and didn't rely 100% on CG as many movies do nowdays. Adrien Brody's performance as the lead man was surprising aswell, I haven't come to expect much out of him, especially not as a soldier. All in all, I'd give it a 6/10 probably.

Have you read the book for tgwtdt? I didn't. But I enjoyed the film. Going to be reading the book soon.

rocketfox129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 rocketfox129

Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction Pictures, Images and Photos

Out of 10 I'd give it about...

Over 9000

The Prestige

telvisnostic

Win

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 aaronmullan
Defendor is a great film.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 raven_squad

Have you read the book for tgwtdt? I didn't. But I enjoyed the film. Going to be reading the book soon.

Swanogt19

I have not. I will eventually, but as of now I am moving on to The Girl Who Played With Fire (book) because I need to continue the story after the way the movie left off. :P My copy should be arriving this week. 

kaihidou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 kaihidou
Member since 2005 • 386 Posts

TatayNic on Cinema One

It's a Philippine parody of Titanic but with a little bit of drama and a mix of action and more comedy. Sort of an old moive but I still love it :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

I just watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo too.  ****ing awesome movie.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 aaronmullan

The House of the Devil

I love it when a movie pays homage to other films, I love it even more when the said movie is actually great along with the homages. That is what The House of the Devil is. A homage and a damn fine movie. During the whole thing I was surprised that it was only released last year (or this year here). It feels exactly like a movie from the 80s. Right down to the TVs and music. Hell, the main character doesn't even have a cell phone. 

The film follows the usual routine for an 80s esque film. The lead character Samantha Hughes is asked to babysit for a couple. Their house is way out in the country and when she arrives, she finds out there is no child, but an old woman instead. She agrees to look after her when they raise the total of money she gets for doing it.

It all begins very normal for this type of film, but the thing that changes about it is that it doesn't feature a killer of any sorts at all. Most of the movie is just Sam navigating her way around the house, seeking out the cause of certain noises she hears and just trying to pass the time. The suspension and tension the movie creates by doing this is incredible. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what the hell was going on in the house. There are no jump scares which I was thankful for. Just slow moving tingling up the spine type horror.

It does pay off in the end, however. Something eventually does happen and it was really great the way the shot it. One thing I didn't like it was the ending. I feel it should have ended and not have had the very last scene. But that's only a minor fault in a superb movie. It's definitely one of the most refreshing horror movies I've seen in years. Got some real scares out of me. 9/10.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

The last film I watched was The Tenant. It's my favorite Polanski now. I can't wait to see it again. 9.5/10.

:D

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 Foolz3h

Reservoir Dogs: 9/10

Best Tarantino film I've seen thus far, and I've only got a few to go. 'Nough said.

Double Indemnity: 7.5/10

Hmm I was a tad disappointed in it. It felt as if there was something missing, but I'm not sure what it is. It's fantastically made, and Keyes is just plain awesome. Brilliant performance. I think I'll probably like it more on a second watch.

She's on Duty: 7/10

Speaking of great performances the main gal plays the goofy Korean girl-cliche perfectly with a few twists on it. Some very funny performances around her from the other people in the school as well. Good stuff. 

Jay and Silent Bob: 7.5/10

So many wonderful references, so many wonderful cameos. Hilarious stuff. Chris Rock and Will Farrel's roles ftw.

StyIe Wars: 8/10

Third time. Still awesome.

Yes I don't put much thought into my ratings. :P Or my comments. :(

Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#344 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
I still need to see Reservoir Dogs.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 aaronmullan

I still need to see Reservoir Dogs.Zeromus1337

This and Jackie Brown. Then I'll have seen them all.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 Foolz3h

[QUOTE="Zeromus1337"]I still need to see Reservoir Dogs.aaronmullan

Have you seen the ones he wrote but didn't direct? True Romance has the best passage of dialogue in any Tarantino film, and Natural Born Killers is as good as any of them, yet he removed his name from it for good reason as it's nothing like a Tarantino film. 

Though a lot of people hate NBK. :(

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 Swanogt19
Inception was flat out AMAZING! 10/10. My blog has some more details but I can't ruin it for you guys
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 aaronmullan
[QUOTE="aaronmullan"]

[QUOTE="Zeromus1337"]I still need to see Reservoir Dogs.Foolz3h

Have you seen the ones he wrote but didn't direct? True Romance has the best passage of dialogue in any Tarantino film, and Natural Born Killers is as good as any of them, yet he removed his name from it for good reason as it's nothing like a Tarantino film. 

Though a lot of people hate NBK. :(

I haven't. I may do that now, though /awdud

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 aaronmullan

The Evil Dead

I think my love for this movie is because it has been a major part of my life. The first time I seen it was when I was eight years old. Yep, that's right. My father let his eight year old son watch this extreme movie featuring tree rape and lots of blood. I'm sure most would think he's a bad dad, but I think that was great of him. It broke down a wall that I didn't realise was there before. That wall was was basically my reaction to horror movies in general. 

I'm sure there were two things that could have happened after watching it at that young of an age. I could have either, A - Been terrified of woods, pencils, cabins, cars, trees, shovels and everything else featured in the movie for the rest of my life, or B - Loved the hell out of it. Luckily it was B. After watching The Evil Dead my perception on horror movies was never the same again. None felt nowhere near as scary and gruesome as The Evil Dead was.  

The Evil Dead is the simple story of five teenagers traveling to a cabin in the woods to have a nice weekend away from school. After arriving there they accidentally unleash demons with the help of the Necronomicon. One by one the teenagers get possessed by the demons and it is up to Ash to save them and himself.  

With a low budget and actors with little talent, Sam Raimi has made what I would call my favourite horror movie. I've always found it funny that no other horror movie, no matter the budget has been able to creep me out quite as much as this movie has done. A number of factors play into why I find it so great. 

The voices of the demons. If you've seen this movie in action then you'll know the sound the demons make. It sounds like there's at least two people speaking, both at different pitches and it creates such a weird but terrifying effect that no other movie has with the villains. One of them even speaks with one very child like high pitched giggle that's bound to make any grown man creeped out.

The look of the demons. I'll admit some of the make up for the demons is actually quite silly looking in spots, especially towards the end when they start turning into 100% clay. But for the most part this movie nails the look of the demons perfectly. The whole white eyed, blood stained, dry skin look of them is fantastic. I know if I seen something like that coming at me I'd run straight in the other direction.

The pacing. Quite alot of horror movies take alot of time to get the plot going. Maybe some sub-plots and a possible romance for a good 30 minutes. Not The Evil Dead. Within 20 minutes, they're in the cabin and summoning those demons. That's something I respect. It doesn't waste any time dealing with some soap opera romances and just gets down to the nasty business. 

I could go on and on about this movie for another few paragraphs, but I'll save you guys the bother of reading more and order you guys to go watch it. If you can look past the occasional odd looking bit of make up and  the less than great acting you'll find some amount of enjoyment from The Evil Dead. 10/10
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 aaronmullan

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

It's not often that a movie can bring me to tears, but The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was so tragic that it did just that. After suffering a massive stroke Jean-Dominique Bauby is paralyzed from the head down. He can only move his eyes and following getting his right eye stitched up can only communicate with his left eye by blinking. The film follows his progress of writing his memoir. 

I think this movie being a true story helps it seem that much more tragic. Just seeing how tedious his life was like after the stroke is unbearable to watch. The film does show some flashbacks of his life before the incident. My favourite was the scene where he helps his disabled father shave. It showed their connection and that makes the later scene in which his father phones a now bed ridden Jean even more heartbreaking.  

That's all I can really say except for you to watch this movie. It's just a great and truly depressing film. 9/10