Xbox Live vs PSN.. What's the difference?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brad12d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brad12d3
Member since 2004 • 1040 Posts

A common argument is that PSN offers the exact same thing that the paid Xbox Live Service offers, therefore Xbox owners are basically getting scammed by Microsoft.

What are the differences between these two and does the opinion that they are pretty much the same hold true?

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I recently purchased a 360, and honestly the only real difference I have noticed is that XBL runs a little smoother than PSN but I haven't noticed that big of a difference so far

PillyChickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PillyChickle
Member since 2011 • 745 Posts

I recently purchased a 360, and honestly the only real difference I have noticed is that XBL runs a little smoother than PSN but I haven't noticed that big of a difference so far

vtbob88

:|

Actually, this thread in general makes me :|

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

[QUOTE="vtbob88"]

PillyChickle

:|

a little more of a response might have helped. I would like to see what the difference is but so far I have not noticed much change. I may be missing some available things in XBL but havnt seen much of a difference right now.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

Xbox has more players with mics which results in more kids screaming online with there mic

Haiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Haiyama
Member since 2011 • 206 Posts

vtbob88

You're an idiot.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44087 Posts

Hmm, about 40 - 60 bones a year - XBLA rocks hard - XBL more fully integrated - updates handled a bunch better -XBL remains secure :o and that will do for now. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
$60 a year.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#9 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

12 bucks a year.

(If you pay 60 you're a tard)

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

PSN lets you play online for free... XBL you have to pay extra... thats the only difference that matters for me since I got the consoles to play games offline & online..

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

psn store is better then xbox market place for sure..

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Party System

Cross Game Chat

The PS Vita will offer cross game chat so I'm sure the PS4 will have it and a party system.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

A common argument is that PSN offers the exact same thing that the paid Xbox Live Service offers, therefore Xbox owners are basically getting scammed by Microsoft.

What are the differences between these two and does the opinion that they are pretty much the same hold true?

brad12d3
$60
MacaroniMoses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MacaroniMoses
Member since 2003 • 682 Posts
Wait until you bring a new PS3 game home all ready to play it and see that the game needs to be updated...
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#16 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

[QUOTE="free_milk"]

Haiyama

LOL what a retard.

Sony is too cheap to keep some demos on their servers for extended periods of time, the ps store gets late dlc and games (Castle Crashers, Castlevania: HOM, ect.) and has crappy exclusives (Fat Princess? LOL Shadow Complex stomps that s**t).

And ps plus is for dumbass suckers. You get a WHOLE $2 discount on games, and get to "rent" crappy games that most people don't even want.

You know having the trollface avy negates any point of you seriously trying to troll. F*cking moron.
SteamedBennet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SteamedBennet
Member since 2011 • 534 Posts

Not much, they're both a million times better than Nintendo's online offering, comparing it to that would make an easier comparison. Xbox live is better, but you pay for it to be better. It's a trade-off.

todd2r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 todd2r
Member since 2009 • 2615 Posts
Wait until you bring a new PS3 game home all ready to play it and see that the game needs to be updated... MacaroniMoses
Exactly what I was going to say. Updates, downloads and everything else is a lot faster on XBL. Does that justify the price? Not really but it is nice. PSN sucks for downloads and updates.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
Not much I've never had any trouble with psn other than the month they were down cause of hackers.The free 360 I got couldn't update just out of the box and had to be sent to repair so all systems have their downfalls.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Nothing much. The biggest difference is that online play is free on PSN (as it should be) and XBL is better integrated into the entire infrastructure of the system.
Haiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Haiyama
Member since 2011 • 206 Posts

[QUOTE="Haiyama"]

[QUOTE="free_milk"]

Slashless

LOL what a retard.

Sony is too cheap to keep some demos on their servers for extended periods of time, the ps store gets late dlc and games (Castle Crashers, Castlevania: HOM, ect.) and has crappy exclusives (Fat Princess? LOL Shadow Complex stomps that s**t).

And ps plus is for dumbass suckers. You get a WHOLE $2 discount on games, and get to "rent" crappy games that most people don't even want.

You know having the trollface avy negates any point of you seriously trying to troll. F*cking moron.

I don't give a s**t, you idiot. You're the moron for quoting me and assuming that I give a damn.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#22 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The only time I spent on Live was using the 1 month trial that you got for creating a new account, there wasn't much of a difference from PSN except more people had mics and you could do parties and cross chat, that was about it really. Oh and updates tended to be quicker, but you don't need to be a Gold Memeber to get those updates. That's basically it. Everything else was the same including the online gameplay it'self, neither one lags more than the other or offers smoother online gameplay, it's exactly the same in that area.

Some people think XBL is worth paying for, I however do not. I didn't see anything that would warrent my money, there wasn't anything about XBL that would make it "vastly superior" like some people say. If you took away the online fee then I would say that XBL is better but only by a tad, however considering it charges for online MP it makes it worse than PSN IMO. But like I said, there isn't a vast difference between the two. You decide for yourself what you prefer.

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
XBL has a better market in XBLA and has cross game chat which is pretty cool. I'd rather have PSN since it's free though.
wraigth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wraigth
Member since 2007 • 912 Posts
Updates are faster, party chat and a online fee. That's pretty much it unless you want to go into games then XBLA has some pretty good ones that you can't get on PSN.
fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts
Wait until you bring a new PS3 game home all ready to play it and see that the game needs to be updated... MacaroniMoses
This, THIS THIS THIS THIS, goddangit THIS! I'm so sick of every PS3 game having to update the second I put it in. I'm sick of the system having to update every other week, and god forbid both the system and the game need to update at the same time, neither will update and the install will just crash over and over again. ...And it's not just once, if you don't play a game for a month and go back to it the whole process starts over again. The ONLY way to avoid this is to buy PSN+, so sony will make you pay for something that clearly shouldn't exist but is so annoying you're almost willing to fork over the cash to make it go away.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

You get to pay $49.99 a year for ads. Seems like a great deal.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
You get to pay 49..9 a year for ads. Seems like a great deal.lbjkurono23
Chump change compared to the $1100 households spend yearly on avg. for cable.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]You get to pay 49..9 a year for ads. Seems like a great deal.MFDOOM1983

Not complaining, I think it's a great deal.
incuensuocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 incuensuocha
Member since 2009 • 1514 Posts
There's no doubt that XBOX Live is more feature rich than PSN. PSN doesn't have things like party or cross game chat. Live also has a better, though not by that much, collection of arcade games. For people who are most interested in online play though, don't let fanboys convince you that one is better than the other. As far as performance, they both perform well. Any lag is usually an ISP problem, not a PSN or XBOX Live problem. PSN does have some things I'm a big fan of. I prefer using Netflix on PSN because it is so much easier to navigate IMO. I also like PSN+ a lot. I've gotten some fantastic games for simply paying a one time $50 fee. I think I've gotten an additional 50 or so games free, aside from the original fee. These include some some amazing PS1 games, Mini games, download only games, and some great older retail games. I'm not saying PSN+ is for everyone, but it was worth every penny to me. The auto updates are also a great bonus. Overall I would say XBOX Live is superior, but the difference isn't as massive as Lems would have you believe.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="MacaroniMoses"]Wait until you bring a new PS3 game home all ready to play it and see that the game needs to be updated... fadersdream
This, THIS THIS THIS THIS, goddangit THIS! I'm so sick of every PS3 game having to update the second I put it in. I'm sick of the system having to update every other week, and god forbid both the system and the game need to update at the same time, neither will update and the install will just crash over and over again. ...And it's not just once, if you don't play a game for a month and go back to it the whole process starts over again. The ONLY way to avoid this is to buy PSN+, so sony will make you pay for something that clearly shouldn't exist but is so annoying you're almost willing to fork over the cash to make it go away.

This isn't entirely true, you don't need to update a PS3 game every time you put it in. That's comeplete bull sh!t. Same goes for having to update every week and the system doesn't crash and you don't update the system and game at the same time, do you have any idea what your talking about? Especially the part you said about having to re update every month, that is COMPLETELY false, you update once and it's done. You don't re update them again, and PS Plus doesn't make them faster, just let's you update when your sleeping and what not.

It is true that some PSN updates are slower, but some are pretty quick and only takeabout 5-10 minutes. What your doing isn't being honest and just outright lying about things. Do you even have a PS3?

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

It is true that some PSN updates are slower, but some are pretty quick and only takeabout 5-10 minutes. What your doing isn't being honest and just outright lying about things.

ShadowMoses900

When I first popped in Uncharted 2, I had to DL nearly 10 updates, two of which were over 120MB in size.

WTF

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Xbox has more players with mics which results in more kids screaming online with there mic

free_milk

That and you pay $60/year for Xlive.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

It is true that some PSN updates are slower, but some are pretty quick and only takeabout 5-10 minutes. What your doing isn't being honest and just outright lying about things.

balfe1990

When I first popped in Uncharted 2, I had to DL nearly 10 updates, two of which were over 120MB in size.

WTF

I said SOME updates, and you must have gotten Uncharted 2 late because I didn't have that problem. The guy I quoted said you have re update every time you put the game in and that it causes the system to crash ect...That's what he was lying about, please read the whole post you are quoting.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
there really is no difference Besides the amount of people with mics.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

WTF

I saidSOME updates, and you must have gotten Uncharted 2 late because I didn't have that problem. The guy I quoted said you have re update every time you put the game in and that it causes the system to crash ect...That's what he was lying about, please read the whole post you are quoting.

10 is way overly exaggerated. And yes you would had to have gotten the game way-way late after release.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
LIVE has more features and makes playing with others much easier, but it costs money. PSN has realatively fewer users with headsets and is lacking some important features LIVE users enjoy, but is free.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

WTF

I said SOME updates, and you must have gotten Uncharted 2 late because I didn't have that problem. The guy I quoted said you have re update every time you put the game in and that it causes the system to crash ect...That's what he was lying about, please read the whole post you are quoting.

I don't know why you are reffering to that other guy.

I was merely responding to you saying that updates take only 5 to 10 minutes. In the case of U2, it took me nearly an hour.

I haven't bought GT5 yet but the thought of all those updates makes my (high)data cap cower in fear.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 balfe1990

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

WTF

clr84651

I saidSOME updates, and you must have gotten Uncharted 2 late because I didn't have that problem. The guy I quoted said you have re update every time you put the game in and that it causes the system to crash ect...That's what he was lying about, please read the whole post you are quoting.

10 is way overly exaggerated. And yes you would had to have gotten the game way-way late after release.

No, it was 10, if not 12.

Clear your cache and update the game again if you don't believe me.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

WTF

clr84651

Definately, I don't remember there being 10 updates for Uncharted or any other game really. Mabey COD because they make so many damn map packs, but those updates only take about 5-10 minutes to download. I don't know what version of Uncharted 2 he was playing lol. It had some updates but not any where close to 10.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 balfe1990

Definately, I don't remember there being 10 updates for Uncharted or any other game really. Mabey COD because they make so many damn map packs, but those updates only take about 5-10 minutes to download. I don't know what version of Uncharted 2 he was playing lol. It had some updates but not any where close to 10.

ShadowMoses900

See my above post if you're doubting me.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

WTF

balfe1990

I was merely responding to you saying that updates take only 5 to 10 minutes. In the case of U2, it took me nearly an hour.

I haven't bought GT5 yet but the thought of all those updates makes my (high)data cap cower in fear.

That's why I said SOME updates, not all. Some updates can take awhile and some take hardly any time at all. It varies...it's not like all updates are slow. Also I was referring to the other guy because he was lying and you didn't read the whole post so you didn't understand what it was about. Some updats can be long but there are some that only take 5-10 minutes.

Although I have NEVER waited an hour to update a game, the most I have ever waited was about 40 minutes for Bad Company 2 and a couple other games. That's about it really.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 balfe1990

[QUOTE="balfe1990"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

That's why I said SOME updates, not all. Some updates can take awhile and some take hardly any time at all. It varies...it's not like all updates are slow. Also I was referring to the other guy because he was lying and you didn't read the whole post so you didn't understand what it was about. Some updats can be long but there are some that only take 5-10 minutes.

Although I have NEVER waited an hour to update a game, the most I have ever waited was about 40 minutes for Bad Company 2 and a couple other games. That's about it really.

Okay then, case closed.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

balfe1990

See my above post if you're doubting me.

Lol I'm not going to waste my time doing that, okay. Mabey in England or wherever your from it was different, but it wasn't 10 for me. I don't remember how many it was, but sure as hell wasn't 10 lol. Mabey you have a GOTY edition or something that has all the DLC? But even then I doubt it would take a whole hour.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I don't know other than one cost and one is free. I don't have a 360, so I don't know. But it is funny people claiming downloading on PSN is slow. It isn't slow for me. If only the 360 had more than 2 games for me. Then I would know because then the 360 would be worth purchasing.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShadowMoses900

I don't know other than one cost and one is free. I don't have a 360, so I don't know. But it is funny people claiming downloading on PSN is slow. It isn't slow for me. If only the 360 had more than 2 games for me. Then I would know because then the 360 would be worth purchasing.AmazonTreeBoa

I think they might be referring to downloading updates, as those are indeed slower than XBL usually (XBL updates usually take about 5 seconds).But it's not downloads in general, some people don't make that distinction.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 balfe1990

But it is funny people claiming downloading on PSN is slow. It isn't slow for me. IAmazonTreeBoa

I think they mean it's slow in comparison.

The Wi-Fi receiver in the PS3 is a bit outdated I think because the DL speeds are comparable to the Xbox ones if you have it hardwired but noticeably slower if you're connecting via Wi Fi vs. DLing something similar in size on the Xbox via Wi Fi.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

THE UPDATES!!! i remember when i first got my ps3, it took over an hour to download all the updates for littlebigplanet. that's just ridiculous. i've never had an update take over a minute on my 360 (the vast majority are about 10 seconds max). this isn't even up for debate.

XBLA market place is much better as far as content and user-friendliness compared to the PS store.

xbox live just makes it alot easier to communicate with friends.

now, you have to ask yourself if those extra/better features are worth $50-$60 a year.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

PSN seems to tell you there is an update every other time you put in a game. It can get annoying. I turned on my 360 for the first time in a few months the other day and I swear that it had to update every app on the console at least 3 times each. It sounds like BS, but I like Tennis and when I clicked on the espn3 app it updated about five times. Also, some of my apps were missing.

Other than that one is free and the other is $60/year. Think of it like this: one is like having a girlfriend while the other is like going out late at night and buying a h**k3R. One really shouldn't have to do the latter.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="lbjkurono23"]You get to pay 49..9 a year for ads. Seems like a great deal.MFDOOM1983

I canceled my cable when I got Netflix. Even then, my cable was only $30 a month. So that's $360. Where the hell you get your numbers is beyond m......oh nevermind. You pulled that number out your ass, that where you got your numbers.
YoYo278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 YoYo278
Member since 2006 • 432 Posts

if you're a democrat who doesn't mind the thought of criminals stealing off you, then not much.