Will the Steam box save PC gaming?

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Rockstar said it all when they ignored the PC in order to capitalize on console sales. They were right, sales are over a billion already proving PC is at best something that you can port to after you've made your profit. Then the pirates will take over from there. 

That 500,000+ petition was ignored too in favor of over a billion actual dollars in revenue. 

Xplode_games

Wtf are you babbling about? 

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

[QUOTE="edidili"]

[QUOTE="uninspiredcup"]

Currently the mobile the and android market are making a killing a sales.

uninspiredcup

Not really no, not yet at least. There are a lot of mobile games been released daily but only a few big hitters make money. The others are lost in the sea. The fact that they try other ways of revenue like, free with microtransactions means that they cannot make money eitherwise. 

Even the big mobile titles when compared to GTA, CoD, WoW, they don't look that big anymore in terms of profitability. 

Angry Birds is the best selling video game in the universe. It cost basically nothing to make and it destorying sales compared to AAA games.

It's the future son.

Sarcasm?
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Only exclusives can save PC and right now it has none that requires a gaming PC

Everything is also on consoles and PC misses all console exclusives

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lostrib

loosingENDS

well that's not true 

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Ask anyone in your school if they are a PC gamer. That's right. Nobody. You can't save what isn't popular in the first place.

and no. those few pc cavemen doesn't count.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 lostrib

Ask anyone in your school if they are a PC gamer. That's right. Nobody. You can't save what isn't popular in the first place.

and no. those few pc cavemen doesn't count.

Mr_BillGates

on a global scale, PC is actually very popular 

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

loosingENDS
Nope.
edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

Only exclusives can save PC 

loosingENDS

Not really no. PC gaming has been around for ages and is still going without a problem. People have been saying PC gaming will die since time immemorial yet it keeps on being saved year after year. 

The reason for that is its open nature. Everyone can publish, create for it, open their own store, install whatever you want, an OS that runs on all kind of hardware from powerful PCs to laptops and even crappy tablets. That is the reason it still keeps on going by itself, needing no helping hand from some whatever company with their shiny exclusive moneyhats.

People keep on saying steamOS will save PC gaming, apparently it needs saving and from an OS that is entirely DRM from top to bottom. Can you open a store like origin for example on steamOS? Can you bypass the steam marketplace for software? Linux is open but that doesn't mean everything you make with it will be automatically open. 

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Only exclusives can save PC 

edidili

Not really no. PC gaming has been around for ages and is still going without a problem. People have been saying PC gaming will die since time immemorial yet it keeps on being saved year after year. 

The reason for that is its open nature. Everyone can publish, create for it, open their own store, install whatever you want, an OS that runs on all kind of hardware from powerful PCs to laptops and even crappy tablets. That is the reason it still keeps on going by itself, needing no helping hand from some whatever company with their shiny exclusive moneyhats.

People keep on saying steamOS will save PC gaming, apparently it needs saving and from an OS that is entirely DRM from top to bottom. Can you open a store like origin for example on steamOS? Can you bypass the steam marketplace for software? Linux is open but that doesn't mean everything you make with it will be automatically open. 

I am not talking about PC gaming in general, only talking about buying a gaming PC

I game on my old PC fine myself and cant wait for a huge number of exclusive indie kickstarter games

But i dont have to get a gaming PC, since all games that i want and require one i can get on consoles

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

loosingENDS

Like Fable 3, right, Saolin?

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

DragonfireXZ95

Sure, i liked Fable 3

But i had more of Fable 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Demons Souls, Bravely Default, Last of Us, Dragons Crown, Fire Emblem, Layton, Diablo 3 OFFLINE REAL GAME EDITION, Deep Down, FF15, Ni no Kuni etc etc in mind

GiantAssPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 GiantAssPanda
Member since 2011 • 1885 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Sure, i liked Fable 3

But i had more of Fable 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Demons Souls, Bravely Default, Last of Us, Dragons Crown, Fire Emblem, Layton, Diablo 3 OFFLINE REAL GAME EDITION, Deep Down, FF15, Ni no Kuni etc etc in mind

I could name a bunch of PC exclusives to counter that post but what's the point? For me, the only game announced thus far that has literally blown my mind is Star Citizen. Nothing on consoles comes even close. Maybe with the exception of Monolith Soft's "X".
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 lostrib

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Sure, i liked Fable 3

I think that would require like 3 different systems 

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

I honestly don't know how the thing will sell. PC gamers most likely already have a gaming PC, and the price tag will probably be too high for console gamers, considering the release of the PS4 and Xbone. PC gamers are going to be shunned in the next gen, just as they were in the last.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"] Like Fable 3, right, Saolin?

lostrib

Sure, i liked Fable 3

4 with the next gen ones :)

That is why i prefer to invest on consoles than buy PC hardware

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 m3Boarder32
Member since 2002 • 9526 Posts

[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

Because they both know that if they actually did that, PC would have more than all consoles combined, by a large margin. Would be a waste of time.

lostrib

Nope your wrong, even Hermits know your wrong about this one..

*you're

Then bring us the data that proves your claim. Until then, let it go 

I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

Sure, i liked Fable 3

loosingENDS

never understood how fanboys always want to remain in their separate factions and bicker until PC is brought up and then its every system available versus 1 platform. 

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] Nope your wrong, even Hermits know your wrong about this one..m3Boarder32

*you're

I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..

PC gaming goes way back to the 80s. So I truly doubt your claim. No way a 7 year old system can compete with the library of the PC.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] Nope your wrong, even Hermits know your wrong about this one..m3Boarder32

*you're

I just assumed it was the usual 360 vs PC AA/AAA. My bad

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

TC - One of the things you are mightly mistaken on is the piracy aspect in regards to the Steambox. Read over Valve's proposal and vision for 'Steam Machine', it's an open-source platform for Linux. They said you can install other OS' or install any outside based program. It doesn't tackle piracy - it actually may allow it to be even easier (in some cases).

As for whether this saves PC gaming.... what does it need saving from, exactly? PC gaming is doing absolutely fine. If it has a large, flexible userbase and allows gaming experiences for a variety of different users based on hardware limitations. The piracy issue is being naturally sorted out with digital sales platforms that are making it more fun to own a game than it is to pirate one, which is what was actually needed to combat piracy, not inconveniences like SECUROM.

PCs won't ever become as "widespread" as console or mass market, but it doesn't matter. The audience is viewed as competitive, high-profit margin, and high-demand. It's being supported by some of the best hardware tech out there. I'd say its in a great place, PC gamers just get down on themselves a bit too much sometimes.

ptflea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ptflea1
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

i find it hard to seemyself buying a steam box since i have my pc plugged into a tv

also it wont stop piracy because the pirates are too cheap to buy a steam box and doeznt change windows gaming

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]I think that would require like 3 different systems 

lostrib

never understood how fanboys always want to remain in their separate factions and bicker until PC is brought up and then its every system available versus 1 platform. 

The problem is trying to separate systems in the first place

Why PC or consoles and not everything ?

I game on everything myself, why miss an experience

I just dont see a reason to get gaming PC hardware and has been that way since xbox 1 released, my work PC will do fine on the kickstarter games i want to play and consoles will handle the rest

The funny thing is that i started as a PC gamer mainly, i got into consoles with PS1, until then it was just PC and its amazing adventures and RPGs

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

That is wexpensiveer to invest on consoles than buy PC hardware

loosingENDS

I just dont see a reason to get gaming PC hardware and has been that way since xbox 1 released, my work PC will do fine on the kickstarter games i want to play and consoles will handle the rest

Not if that kickstarter game is starcitizen :P

because in like every other case it is 1v1, always 360 vs ps3, 3ds vs vita. But then it becomes consoles vs PC, which is atleast 3 systems, but then people complain that PC is expensive even though all 3 systems would be upwards of like 600 to 700 dependinv when you purchased. And next gen would be 1000+ before online fees. Seems silly

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

*you're

FPSfan1985

PC gaming goes way back to the 80s. So I truly doubt your claim. No way a 7 year old system can compete with the library of the PC.

We were discussing current gen games, but the quote chain doesn't let u go back far enough too see that
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 GD-1369211121
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

*you're

FPSfan1985

Good luck running DOS games on a modern computer.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"] never understood how fanboys always want to remain in their separate factions and bicker until PC is brought up and then its every system available versus 1 platform. 

lostrib

because in like every other case it is 1v1, always 360 vs ps3, 3ds vs vita. But then it becomes consoles vs PC, which is atleast 3 systems, but then people complain that PC is expensive even though all 3 systems would be upwards of like 600 to 700 dependinv when you purchased. And next gen would be 1000+ before online fees. Seems silly

But generally a good gaming PC will cost as much as 2-3 console systems (i am talking a bit after launch, were prices get normal) so does make sense to compare this way

First months consoles have some crazy prices that soon drop

If we are talking about a top PC, this one costs as 2 consoles for the graphics card alone

Even if money were not considered, i would still see all consoles together as the group that covers my JRPG need and as such is a unique entity comparing to PC

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..

We were discussing current gen games, but the quote chain doesn't let u go back far enough too see that

Doesn't make much sense to me. How do you even have a comparison. PC has no generations.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#128 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..GD-1369211121

It's child's play these days. 

m3Boarder32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 m3Boarder32
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] PC gaming goes way back to the 80s. So I truly doubt your claim. No way a 7 year old system can compete with the library of the PC.

Doesn't make much sense to me. How do you even have a comparison. PC has no generations.

Learn to meta
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..

Don't need luck just a simple program is all.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 loosingENDS

To put it simply, what systems do i have to get to play

Demons Souls

Dark Souls 1-2

Witcher 2

Mass Effect

Fable 1 remake - 2 - 3 - Journey

Bravely Default

Lost Odyssey

The last of Us

Diablo 3 offline

3DS + xbox 360 + PS3

A gaming PC is not there, i just dont need one

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 FPSfan1985
[QUOTE="m3Boarder32"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] We were discussing current gen games, but the quote chain doesn't let u go back far enough too see that

Learn to meta

Explain...
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 GD-1369211121
[QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] PC gaming goes way back to the 80s. So I truly doubt your claim. No way a 7 year old system can compete with the library of the PC.

Don't need luck just a simple program is all.

You could use an emulator, maybe hit or miss for some games. But I stand corrected.
Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

PC gamers are so naive.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 FPSfan1985

PC gamers are so naive.

Tqricardinho
About?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

But generally a good gaming PC will cost as much as 2-3 console systems (i am talking a bit after launch, were prices get normal) so does make sense to compare this way

First months consoles have some crazy prices that soon drop

If we are talking about a top PC, this one costs as 2 consoles for the graphics card alone

Even if money were not considered, i would still see all consoles together as the group that covers my JRPG need and as such is a unique entity comparing to PC

maybe the cost of 2 current gen consoles. But next gen is kind of up in the air at the moment since the next gen consoles' specs aren't top of the line.

I love me some FPS games so I'll always have a PC for the better controls, performance and graphics. And right now it serves other purposes outside of gaming 

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

PC gaming. :lol:

Enjoy your farmville, ganster something, point/click every game LOL.

What the heck is steam box anyway? From what I understand it is optional internet PC bridge port type thing? Like, I can access my PC and steam on my TV. but they are offering a middle ground. A middle ground as a USB port basically to my TV to make my life slightly easier. Even though I already can get steam running on my PC/HDTV. LMAO. FAIL.

If they don't announce HL3 then they FAIL at life and should just retire off of steam sales. They clearly don't care about games.

GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 GD-1369211121

PC gaming. :lol:

Enjoy your farmville, ganster something, point/click every game LOL.

What the heck is steam box anyway? From what I understand it is optional internet PC bridge port type thing? Like, I can access my PC and steam on my TV. but they are offering a middle ground. A middle ground as a USB port basically to my TV to make my life slightly easier. Even though I already can get steam running on my PC/HDTV. LMAO. FAIL.

If they don't announce HL3 then they FAIL at life and should just retire off of steam sales. They clearly don't care about games.

stuff238
You are either a troll seeking attention, or the most ignorant person I have ever seen.
BuldozerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 BuldozerX
Member since 2013 • 301 Posts
The last time I checked, it was possible to pirate games on current consoles.
stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

To put it simply, what systems do i have to get to play

Demons Souls

Dark Souls 1-2

Witcher 2

Mass Effect

Fable 1 remake - 2 - 3 - Journey

Bravely Default

Lost Odyssey

The last of Us

Diablo 3 offline

BUT YOU CAN PAY $!5 every month to point/click enemies to death on any MMO! How can you miss this so exciting genre. I mean, you click and walkaround, then you click on the enemies head until he dies. It's totally worth 15 every month for the point and click gameplay. :/\

3DS + xbox 360 + PS3

A gaming PC is not there, i just dont need one

loosingENDS

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

PC doesnt need saving when it has more revenue than ps3 and 360 combined.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

TC - One of the things you are mightly mistaken on is the piracy aspect in regards to the Steambox. Read over Valve's proposal and vision for 'Steam Machine', it's an open-source platform for Linux. They said you can install other OS' or install any outside based program. It doesn't tackle piracy - it actually may allow it to be even easier (in some cases).

As for whether this saves PC gaming.... what does it need saving from, exactly? PC gaming is doing absolutely fine. If it has a large, flexible userbase and allows gaming experiences for a variety of different users based on hardware limitations. The piracy issue is being naturally sorted out with digital sales platforms that are making it more fun to own a game than it is to pirate one, which is what was actually needed to combat piracy, not inconveniences like SECUROM.

PCs won't ever become as "widespread" as console or mass market, but it doesn't matter. The audience is viewed as competitive, high-profit margin, and high-demand. It's being supported by some of the best hardware tech out there. I'd say its in a great place, PC gamers just get down on themselves a bit too much sometimes.

Shensolidus

Did you notice that this gen the majority of formerly PC developers didn't just port to consoles, they developed for consoles and then ported to PC sometimes as an afterthought. 

Then you look at the biggest game of all time GTAV and it is clear as day that Rockstar chose the archaic current gen hardware because they could make money and due to piracy they would lose big if they released it on PC. 

Why do you think they didn't simultaneously release GTAV on PC? They didn't have time? No one wanted it? No, it's because they knew that day one it would get leaked and then millions of PC gamers would download it over a torrent site and this would take away millions of sales. 

It's interesting what you say about steambox not even able to fix piracy. I hope they do it in an intelligent way so that it does combat piracy. Because piracy is a plague that is killing PC gaming. 

Used games were never a problem, piracy is the problem but it's so prevalent on PC that it's been ignored or maybe even accepted as inevitable. 

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Northernboxer
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

PC gamers need to get off their high horse.  PC gaming may not need to be "saved", but it leaves much to be wanted.  It's the only reason why I don't game on PC. The market isn't there. 

GOGOGOGURT

If you can only get one platform, it should be PC

No.  My friends and I all grew up on arcades in terms of gaming, as did plenty of other people.  Then we went to the Dreamcast, Sega, n64, PS1, Xbox, Xbox 360.  All of my best gaming memories was playing GoldenEye or time splitters on consoles, with 4 controllers gunked up by pizza sauce and Cheeto dust.  And we didn't care.  We didn't care about this PC gaming.  We were too busy gaming.  The only remarkable experience i've had while pc gaming is marveling at the graphics.  More strong memories was problems with installations, messing with settings, creating files, dealing with bugs, and jusst clicking around in general.  Most pc gamers overlook this because they dont mind it, and that's fine.  But There's a good reason why PC gaming isn't as popular as console gaming.  All the IT guys, programmers, and techies moved to PC gaming.  It's more demanding, and it's a niche market for the tech inclined.  It's still like that today.  

Yes, PC games are more technologically advanced than consoles, but the market is with consoles because it is more fun.  PC gamers are into there PC specs as much as they are into gaming.  I only care about gaming, as does the majority of the market.  It's more than just pop in a disc in, or hooking it up to a big screen.  I'm not saying console gamers are better than PC gamers or vice versa, but I am saying PC gamers have a different lifestyle, and PC gaming is not for everyone.  However, console gaming, is.  It's the idea of a dedicated gaming system, and split screen.  Steambox is taking the right steps in that direction.

If you really cared about gaming, you wouldn't let a little troubleshooting stop you from experiencing the games at their maximum potential. I've had some issues converting to pc gaming, but nothing that wasn't worth it. The difference is so big between consoles and pc, that I have a lot of trouble playing anything on my consoles. TLOU lasted 20 minutes, and Gta 5 has been playable--because I love it--but I constalntly think about how good the pc version will be.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Did you notice that this gen the majority of formerly PC developers didn't just port to consoles, they developed for consoles and then ported to PC sometimes as an afterthought. 

Xplode_games

Nope. Didn't see anything like that. Not this gen at least. What I've seen is majority of formerly console companies either making high quality multiplats on PC or even investing in PC exclusives.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

Here, why don't you and jankar both make up actual spreadsheets with all the data and then you guys can compare.  

m3Boarder32

Because they both know that if they actually did that, PC would have more than all consoles combined, by a large margin. Would be a waste of time.

Nope your wrong, even Hermits know your wrong about this one..

What is lying going to prove? Its a gaming website,noone cares. PC has the most aaa/aa according to GS.

Oh and:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvujL7lrkmCVdDJtcWVwU2NTVFRNcFQteTZndDhsVnc&hl=en_US&rm=minimal#gid=0

http://www.mediafire.com/view/naccw2sb8alc7yx/Proving+GioVela+is+an+idiot.txt

Even with 2005, 2006, 2012, 2013 missing multiplats, PC pulls far ahead.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC doesnt need saving when it has more revenue than ps3 and 360 combined.

Rage010101

This. 

And its due to having more gamers, more games, and better services.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It has all of the benefits of PC gaming, 1080p(and higher), 60+fps, maxed out graphics, upgradeable, complete backwards compatability and cheap games but it doesn't have the downsides of PC gaming, piracy. 

The developers have shyed away from PC development in the current gen due to piracy. With the Steam box piracy is not a concern. 

The only concern the steambox can have is limited installed base due to high price. But that is also eliminated because anyone with a gaming PC can run the steam games and that makes a HUGE installed base from day one. 

Also if you're buying a steambox instead of PS4/X1, you will have a huge catalogue of games available at launch vs almost nothing for PS4/X1. And the steambox will have better grpahics and upgradeable hardware.

Could this be the savior of PC gaming?

Xplode_games

Does PC gaming need to be saved? If so, from what?

The SteamBox is an open system, so yes it can be hacked and have piracy concerns, just like any other system. Probably even moreso.

The Steambox main concern is who they are marketing the system for. I still don't have any clue on who they think will buy this thing. I doubt console games will touch it since it won't have any Sony, M$ or Nintendo exclusives on it. PC gamers already have their high end PC rigs and they can hook those to a HDTV if they wanted to. So who's left to buy a SteamBox?

Could this be the bankrupt of Valve?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"] PC gaming goes way back to the 80s. So I truly doubt your claim. No way a 7 year old system can compete with the library of the PC.AdrianWerner

It's child's play these days. 

You can still run DOS games in Win 7. There are emulators everywhere anyways.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="GD-1369211121"][QUOTE="FPSfan1985"][QUOTE="m3Boarder32"] I need a spreadsheet to prove that PC doesn't have more AAA/AA games than all consoles combined? Really now??.. That was obvious an over the top attempt at trolling by him..

DOSbox makes that a complete non issue.
haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

I'm genuinely surprised at how dopey console gamers appear to be.

Grasping at straws ...