Which is the best multimedia machine? PS3 or Xbox360 (Revisted)

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenGlove
Member since 2002 • 4699 Posts

I've heard a lot about both of them, but I'm trying to determine which is the best overall for MULTIMEDIA purposes.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two?
I have a PSP, and I know that you supposedly can do a lot with the PSP and PS3.

I made this thread months ago, and now I'm bringing it back up due to the recent updates for the PS3. Now this debate is different than it was in December.  Since then Microsoft released the Elite 360 with HDMI, and more room on the HDD. The PS3 now being able to stream from PCs and DVRs (Which Xboy's said wasn't possible on PS3 months ago) and with the rumours about update 2.0 I think it's pretty easy to see which one is the winner in this category. Is there anybody that still thinks that the 360 is better today?

Discuss...

PS: I have both consoles.

godson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 godson07
Member since 2006 • 585 Posts
I am lemming but I say its PS3.
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nameless3
Member since 2006 • 5751 Posts
My labtop
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GoldenGlove
I am lemming but I say its PS3.godson07

Can you elaborate? 

GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GoldenGlove
My labtopNameless3

Yeah, but I've got the impression that Sony's vision is to take people away from using their computers for music, movies, etc and just use the PS3 instead. 

Out of the two would you say that PS3 is the closest to a CPU?
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts
My labtopNameless3
laptop* they both have good features, ps3 has a lot of slots for different memory units, but 360 can hook up right to your computer and stream everything on it to your 360 with out using memory. i'd say it's pretty even.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="Nameless3"]My labtopKAS3Y_JAM3Z
laptop* they both have good features, ps3 has a lot of slots for different memory units, but 360 can hook up right to your computer and stream everything on it to your 360 with out using memory. i'd say it's pretty even.

So you can't do that with PS3?  Can it be enabled in the future if its not available now?
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="Nameless3"]My labtopGoldenGlove

So you can't do that with PS3? Can it be enabled in the future if its not available now?

probably not because think about it, it would probably try to use windows, which is microsoft, sony doesn't have their own operating system on a computer. so i think the 360 has the edge but a slim amount
shenmue_18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shenmue_18
Member since 2006 • 671 Posts
Definitely 360.
godson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 godson07
[QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.GoldenGlove

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

FACT. PS3 hardware > Xbox 360 hardware.
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="Nameless3"]My labtopKAS3Y_JAM3Z

So you can't do that with PS3? Can it be enabled in the future if its not available now?

probably not because think about it, it would probably try to use windows, which is microsoft, sony doesn't have their own operating system on a computer. so i think the 360 has the edge but a slim amount

Okay, I see.  But I know with the PSP people found ways to run Windows on there.  And I know that PS3 will have the same type of modifications more than likely.

Can you convert music files on 360 like you can on PS3?
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.godson07

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

But I'm just talkin' about whats better for multimedia purposes only.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.GoldenGlove

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

im going to say 360. you can load anything with a usb cable, so if you have a sandisk reader or storage unit, you can hook it up, ps3 has slots as well. but the its the fact that you can stream all your media from your computer to your 360 with out using memory gives it the advantage
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

im going to say 360. you can load anything with a usb cable, so if you have a sandisk reader or storage unit, you can hook it up, ps3 has slots as well. but the its the fact that you can stream all your media from your computer to your 360 with out using memory gives it the advantage

Thanks.

So it's 360 + CPU >>> PS3 as far as multimedia goes.
godson07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 godson07
PS3:
next gen DVD drive(Blu-Ray), 60gb, built-in wifi, built-in web browser, runs linux os, connect to any bluetooth, hdmi, built-in card reader. etc
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GoldenGlove
PS3:
next gen DVD drive(Blu-Ray), 60gb, built-in wifi, built-in web browser, runs linux os, connect to any bluetooth, hdmi, built-in card reader. etc
godson07

Good point...  the Blu-Ray player comes with the console opposed to having to pay extra for the HD-DVD player with the 360.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
PS3:
godson07
360 has hd dvd. oh and you can download a huge amount of tv shows, hd movies, clips music videos, music etc from market place. along with all the other video games. and i think it'd be better to stream all your stuff with out using up memory than having a 60g hdd, and ps3 doesn't connect to any bluetooh ahaha hdmi out puts are pretty pointless considering 2 games can go up ao 1080i, and thats IF they have the right tv, same goes for blu ray and why would you need a web browser? im pretty sure itd be faster to go to your computer, and my 360 is right next to my computer. 360 wins
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
KAS3Y_JAM3Z
360 has hd dvd. oh and you can download a huge amount of tv shows, hd movies, clips music videos, music etc from market place. along with all the other video games. and i think it'd be better to stream all your stuff with out using up memory than having a 60g hdd, and ps3 doesn't connect to any bluetooh ahaha hdmi out puts are pretty pointless considering 2 games can go up ao 1080i, and thats IF they have the right tv, same goes for blu ray and why would you need a web browser? im pretty sure itd be faster to go to your computer, and my 360 is right next to my computer. 360 wins

Yeah, but the PS3 internet browser allows you to go to any website and download ish for free. 
On 360 you have to buy all that stuff.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
GoldenGlove

Yeah, but the PS3 internet browser allows you to go to any website and download ish for free.

you sure about that? my friend and I have tried going onto wensites and we can't download anything and some sites are displayed funny. id rather just use my computer and stream it. you can download stuff for free on your computer and stream it to your 360 too...
GoldenGlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GoldenGlove
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

you sure about that? my friend and I have tried going onto wensites and we can't download anything and some sites are displayed funny. id rather just use my computer and stream it. you can download stuff for free on your computer and stream it to your 360 too...

That's what I heard.  I was playin' MGO and this guy was playin' it on his PS3 and I asked him if you could download from the websites on the browser and he said yeah. 

Can somebody confirm this?
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
GoldenGlove

That's what I heard. I was playin' MGO and this guy was playin' it on his PS3 and I asked him if you could download from the websites on the browser and he said yeah.

Can somebody confirm this?

we could never do it. we can't save it to "the desktop" and it wont let us select anything else. i could be wrong, but im pretty sure you can't download stuff from websites
tse7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tse7en
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts
nope ur not allowed to.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
nope ur not allowed to.tse7en
Didn't think so.
Nameless3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nameless3
Member since 2006 • 5751 Posts
[QUOTE="Nameless3"]My labtopGoldenGlove

Yeah, but I've got the impression that Sony's vision is to take people away from using their computers for music, movies, etc and just use the PS3 instead. 

Out of the two would you say that PS3 is the closest to a CPU?

It really doesn't add anything that peopel buying one won't already have....
Frunku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Frunku
Member since 2004 • 1062 Posts
[QUOTE="tse7en"]nope ur not allowed to.KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Didn't think so.

Just use Linux, then you can download stuff, install Bittorent and you can even do your homework on your PS3 if you want to.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="tse7en"]nope ur not allowed to.Frunku
Didn't think so.

Just use Linux, then you can download stuff, install Bittorent and you can even do your homework on your PS3 if you want to.

linux is terrible... why would I want to do that when i could go use a real computer or lay in bed with my laptop? ps3 fails as a computer in my opinion
GeneralZ0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GeneralZ0d
Member since 2006 • 671 Posts
I doubt I will ever get a PS3 but it comes with a inbuilt blu-ray player and also runs with linux. Linux allows you complete freedom to do what you like.
MonkaTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 MonkaTG
Member since 2006 • 2596 Posts
ps3... internet browser Mp3 photos videos downloadable games universal buddy lists messaging voice chat (out of game chat as well) wide range of settings blu-ray cd dvd (upscaling coming soon) rip (cd, ipod, mp3, phone data, etc.) ps store universal USB recognition
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="MonkaTG"]ps3... internet browser (I have 4 computers and a laptop that do it better)
Mp3 (so can the 360)
 photos (so can the 360, and can stream them from pc)
videos (360 can do it, and download full hd movies and tv shows)
downloadable games (yawn, xbl arcade)
universal buddy lists (haha xbl)
messaging voice chat (WOW! even the xbox had that) (you cant send messages in game or chat with ps3 though)
(out of game chat as well)
wide range of settings blu-ray cd dvd(no way! settings! alright d00d!)
 (upscaling coming soon) rip (
cd, ipod, mp3, phone data, etc.) (360 can do all of that as well)
s store universal USB recognition(360 can do it)

konichiwa21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 konichiwa21
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts
if u just want media get pc , cost just as much as ps3 360 u can download tv shows and movies though - ps3 u can download songs
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rashpal
Member since 2004 • 3781 Posts
I've heard a lot about both of them, but I'm trying to determine which is the best overall for MULTIMEDIA purposes. 

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two?
I have a PSP, and I know that you supposedly can do a lot with the PSP and PS3.

Discuss...
GoldenGlove
For multimedia, there really is no competition. PS3 is the full multimedia package. DVD, CD, Bluray, games, music, photos, internet, online gaming and a range of open source ports and extensions to make it a diverse multimedia device. In comparison 360 is much more limited, requiring various add-ons mostly because of propriatory hardware. It has some interesting communicating possibilities with PCs but this is just Microsoft safe guarding their software investments in the PC market as it moves further into hardware manufacturing. If you're talking multimedia many lemmings on these pages need to wake up and smell the coffee, 360 can't compete. Great games playing system but nowhere near comparable to PS3 as a multimedia device.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rashpal
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

I agree there are advantages to communicating to PCs but as a living room device the praticalities of this feature are limited to a mainstream market.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
PS3 ...

You have Linux
 You have Blu-ray / DVD / CD player
 You have Music
 You have PSP connectivivity
  You have memory card reader / slots
  You have 6x USB 2.0 ports
  You have a web browser built in
 You can install any OS you want ... yes even OSX and Windows XP run on PS3 ( tho not well :/ )

So yea ... this anit saying 360 anit great ... but PS3 does everything Xbox 360 does and more ...
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rashpal
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.GoldenGlove

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

Thanks.

So it's 360 + CPU >>> PS3 as far as multimedia goes.

I can't see how this statement is true. The 360 is a propriotory hardware meaning it needs updating at Microsofts consent. That HDD can't be upgraded for example until Microsoft are prepared to make such an investment. In comparison PS3 is open source. It can communicate with various electronics devices, including a 2.5 laptop HDD, meaning that 20/60GB HDD can be upgraded at the consumers discretion. 360 is much more limited. It is a gaming device with some multimedia applications, but nothing to give PS3 a run for its money. Additionally, it is well documented that the Cell is a better CPU at multimedia applications.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rashpal
[QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

You're demonstarting clear fanboy tendencies. This guy will make this thread longer than necessary. PS3 for multimedia is better. Period. You'll find very few educated posters arguing with that.
2FacedJanus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 2FacedJanus
Member since 2004 • 8236 Posts
PC
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts
PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rashpal
PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?Tsug_Ze_Wind
Because you would want to move all of those communcating and entertainment possibilities out of the "computer room" and into the living room to share with the rest of the family.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tsug_Ze_Wind

[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?Rashpal
Because you would want to move all of those communcating and entertainment possibilities out of the "computer room" and into the living room to share with the rest of the family.

Still, it seems unnecessary. If a game console can do that, that's cool, but multimedia features shouldn't be high on your list of requirements when buying a console to play games.

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rashpal

[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?Tsug_Ze_Wind

Still, it seems unnecessary. If a game console can do that, that's cool, but multimedia features shouldn't be high on your list of requirements when buying a console to play games.

Well when that console happens to be a continuation in the linage of the Playstation brand I think very few would argue against it. Sony are hardly going to fail in delivering convincing gaming content.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tsug_Ze_Wind
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?Rashpal

Well when that console happens to a continuation in the linage of the Playstation brand I think very few would argue against it. Sony are hardly going to fail in delivering convincing gaming content.

The PS3 has major competition, and yet Sony seems to be focusing on the "multimedia machine" and not the "game console." The PSP is a multimedia machine. Didn't seem to help it that much, and that's because when it comes to multimedia, you have iPods and laptops and other things that people associate with "multimedia." The Playstation will be known as a "game console," and looking at it that way, it's damn expensive for what little there is.

Prid3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Prid3r
Member since 2004 • 8643 Posts
360 . the only thing PS3 have over it , it's a failed HD-player !
SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14807 Posts
for multimedia purposes, its obviously the ps3 at the moment, as for games..........
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]PC. Why do you need a game console to do everything outside of cooking your breakfast, when you're (most likely) typing on something that already can?Tsug_Ze_Wind

Well when that console happens to a continuation in the linage of the Playstation brand I think very few would argue against it. Sony are hardly going to fail in delivering convincing gaming content.

The PS3 has major competition, and yet Sony seems to be focusing on the "multimedia machine" and not the "game console." The PSP is a multimedia machine. Didn't seem to help it that much, and that's because when it comes to multimedia, you have iPods and laptops and other things that people associate with "multimedia." The Playstation will be known as a "game console," and looking at it that way, it's damn expensive for what little there is.

Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.
jdp0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jdp0412
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

I would give the edge to 360 atm, with that more than likely changing to the ps3 in the future. 360 currently can stream any videos and songs from a pc, view pics from your pc, download both hd and sd movies and tv shows and you can grab the hd-dvd drive if your so inclined. However, once ps3 gets up and going it should have better features...larger library of movies/shows and throw in music. I'm sure the streaming is possible as well. Until ps3 has been out for a while and can really get up and running I feel 360 has the edge.

Also left out a few things...with vista will come live anywhere which will add a whole different layer into the xbox live experience.  It will then "play nice" with all kinds of mobile devices (phones and zune for example) and with your pc even more so than it currently does.

However, that being said I still stand by my orginal statement that ps3 will win out in multimedia features in the long run

BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts
I guarantee that the average joe won't use have of the stuff on either console, so this crap might matter to you guys, but not really to the casuals.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tsug_Ze_Wind

Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Rashpal

Playstation will always be known as a game console. No matter what they add to it and market it as, people will still be buying it as a game console, and they'll most likely be disappointed with the PS3 not being superior in any way related to games. A lesser library, an inferior online service, and graphics that are merely equal with the $400 360, instead of the 4D with the Cell and all that, that they were promised. I, and many others certainly expected more. How can it go beyond the status of a game console when it's struggling at being a game console alone?

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rashpal

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Tsug_Ze_Wind

Playstation will always be known as a game console. No matter what they add to it and market it as, people will still be buying it as a game console, and they'll most likely be disappointed with the PS3 not being superior in any way related to games. A lesser library, an inferior online service, and graphics that are merely equal with the $400 360, instead of the 4D with the Cell and all that, that they were promised. I, and many others certainly expected more. How can it go beyond the status of a game console when it's struggling at being a game console alone?

How can you in all honesty expect a system just released to compete in content with a system that is a year into it's life cycle. Clearly your opinion is based on unrealistic expectations.
buuzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 buuzer0
Member since 2005 • 3792 Posts
I guarantee that the average joe won't use have of the stuff on either console, so this crap might matter to you guys, but not really to the casuals.BadAndy642
Agreed. Casuals... I sometimes wonder how they are even able to hook their systems up and switch the A/V settings on their TV to play their consoles.
Hershey07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 Hershey07
Member since 2005 • 5634 Posts
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="Nameless3"]My labtopGoldenGlove

Okay, I see. But I know with the PSP people found ways to run Windows on there. And I know that PS3 will have the same type of modifications more than likely.

Can you convert music files on 360 like you can on PS3?

People already found a way to run windows and linux on the PS3 already...