Which is the best multimedia machine? PS3 or Xbox360 (Revisted)

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Rashpal

Playstation will always be known as a game console. No matter what they add to it and market it as, people will still be buying it as a game console, and they'll most likely be disappointed with the PS3 not being superior in any way related to games. A lesser library, an inferior online service, and graphics that are merely equal with the $400 360, instead of the 4D with the Cell and all that, that they were promised. I, and many others certainly expected more. How can it go beyond the status of a game console when it's struggling at being a game console alone?

How can you in all honesty expect a system just released to compete in content with a system that is a year into it's life cycle. Clearly your opinion is based on unrealistic expectations.

It's just the truth. The consumer isn't going to see "Just wait, great games are coming in '07," they see "Well, the 360 has more games and it's cheaper."

It's completely fair. The 360 got a headstart, and that was a brilliant move. Had Sony launched the PS3 first, things would be different.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

If you're looking at both machines by themselves, I think the PS3 is more capable when it comes to playing media. It has the media card slots, web browser and Blu-ray built in, and those are the differentiators. Both machines have nearly-identical support for music, movies and photos stored on the hard drive.

As soon as you look at the consoles as part of a larger ecosystem of devices, Xbox 360 wins hands down. Got an iPod, Zune or other media player? It will work natively with 360 - you will see your photos and music just like on your iPod, whereas with the PS3, all you'll see is a cryptic list of folders. Got a Windows PC? Xbox 360 will stream all the content from it. Got a Windows Media Center PC? Xbox 360 acts as a media center extender, letting you watch and record TV shows, download movies, surf the web, listen to online radio and giving you another way to browse media on your PC. The Xbox 360 HD DVD drive can be hooked up to your PC to let you watch HD DVD movies on that, as well.

Basically, if you have a PC, digital camera or portable media player, Xbox 360 will take advantage of those to greatly expand its media capabilities beyond what PS3 is capable of. But without those other things, Xbox 360 isn't quite on par with PS3. You won't miss much with the 360 - just add a media card reader and you'll be good - but the PS3 is a more capable standalone device.

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Rashpal
Member since 2004 • 3781 Posts
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Tsug_Ze_Wind

Playstation will always be known as a game console. No matter what they add to it and market it as, people will still be buying it as a game console, and they'll most likely be disappointed with the PS3 not being superior in any way related to games. A lesser library, an inferior online service, and graphics that are merely equal with the $400 360, instead of the 4D with the Cell and all that, that they were promised. I, and many others certainly expected more. How can it go beyond the status of a game console when it's struggling at being a game console alone?

How can you in all honesty expect a system just released to compete in content with a system that is a year into it's life cycle. Clearly your opinion is based on unrealistic expectations.

It's just the truth. The consumer isn't going to see "Just wait, great games are coming in '07," they see "Well, the 360 has more games and it's cheaper."

It's completely fair. The 360 got a headstart, and that was a brilliant move. Had Sony launched the PS3 first, things would be different.

Really depends then on what consumer market you're talking about. On Cnet for example both PS3 and Wii top the five most wanted list. For desirability it seems PS3 can't be beat at the moment. Come March with games like Motorstorm, Virtua Figther 5 and Heavenly Sword I doubt you'll still have the same arguement.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Tsug_Ze_Wind
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Rashpal

Really depends then on what consumer market you're talking about. On Cnet for example both PS3 and Wii top the five most wanted list. For desirability it seems PS3 can't be beat at the moment. Come March with games like Motorstorm, Virtua Figther 5 and Heavenly Sword I doubt you'll still have the same arguement.

We'll see.

All I know is that when the PS3 gets its titles, the 360 will get more titles like Mass Effect, Crackdown, and Halo 3. The PS3 won't catch up for a while.

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Rashpal

If you're looking at both machines by themselves, I think the PS3 is more capable when it comes to playing media. It has the media card slots, web browser and Blu-ray built in, and those are the differentiators. Both machines have nearly-identical support for music, movies and photos stored on the hard drive.

As soon as you look at the consoles as part of a larger ecosystem of devices, Xbox 360 wins hands down. Got an iPod, Zune or other media player? It will work natively with 360 - you will see your photos and music just like on your iPod, whereas with the PS3, all you'll see is a cryptic list of folders. Got a Windows PC? Xbox 360 will stream all the content from it. Got a Windows Media Center PC? Xbox 360 acts as a media center extender, letting you watch and record TV shows, download movies, surf the web, listen to online radio and giving you another way to browse media on your PC. The Xbox 360 HD DVD drive can be hooked up to your PC to let you watch HD DVD movies on that, as well.

Basically, if you have a PC, digital camera or portable media player, Xbox 360 will take advantage of those to greatly expand its media capabilities beyond what PS3 is capable of. But without those other things, Xbox 360 isn't quite on par with PS3. You won't miss much with the 360 - just add a media card reader and you'll be good - but the PS3 is a more capable standalone device.

UnnDunn
Maybe but all 360's multimedia applications are reliant on Microsoft software which further backs my argument that as a propriatory hardware with propriatory software 360 is limited compared to Sony's open approach to PS3's multimedia functionality. If it isn't possible now, with the appropriate software there's no reason why it can't be in the future.
jdp0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 jdp0412
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts
They may have a found a way but in no means it is useable on a ps3
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]Taking aside your point about PSP (however valid that may be) it's not really a question of what it'll be known for, rather what it will be sold as (a quick look at the latest Beyon3D trailer should give you a hint as to what that is). It's all well and good saying "what little there is" but at this early a stage I don't think any educated observer would expect more from the leading games manufacturer. As a purest you may like to under sell the multimedia capabilities of the system but these capabilities will distinguish it from the competition. There' no question of Sony's credentials at delivering strong gaming content, so overtime it'll be the hardware in combination with the appropriate software that will take the system beyond the status of a gaming console and to that of a multimedia hub. It may seem like a pipe dream but it is one much more exciting than the standard gaming device.Tsug_Ze_Wind

We'll see.

All I know is that when the PS3 gets its titles, the 360 will get more titles like Mass Effect, Crackdown, and Halo 3. The PS3 won't catch up for a while.

And then we enter the territory of marketing and brand awareness, which is where this competitive farce will be won, and on that front 360 likewise has a lot of catching up to do.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Tsug_Ze_Wind

And then we enter the territory of marketing and brand awareness, which is where this competitive farce will be won, and on that front 360 likewise has a lot of catching up to do.Rashpal

And then we have price, availability, media coverage and reviews...all not in PS3's favor.

Even marketing it seems Sony has lost their touch. The PS3 commercials aren't any good at all.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 UnnDunn
[QUOTE="UnnDunn"]

Rashpal
Maybe but all 360's multimedia applications are reliant on Microsoft software which further backs my argument that as a propriatory hardware with propriatory software 360 is limited compared to Sony's open approach to PS3's multimedia functionality. If it isn't possible now, with the appropriate software there's no reason why it can't be in the future.

Actually, the Xbox 360's media sharing features are based on Universal Plug 'n' Play, which is available on all computing platforms. There are a few non-Microsoft UPnP clients that can share content to the 360, such as TVersity or Connect 360.  Some of the third-party solutions are even better than the Microsoft solution, because they allow you to stream Divx, OGG or AAC files, not just the formats Microsoft officially supports. The only completely proprietary part of it is the Windows Media Center support.
lordxymor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lordxymor
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
There are tons of software to stream audio and video from PC(no matter what OS) to PS3 linux. I can only imagine what it will be like when the optimize the MythTV client to run on the PS3 linux.
AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

Out of the Box, with nothing hooked up I would say they are pretty equal.

But lets get real here, linux is a format that most users are either not familiar with and will never use.

Windows Media Center and the X360 can do much more than a PS3.  Not even to mention upcoming Vista which has Media Center included which starts selling with computers in Jan 07.

Now given the fact that I am not extremely impressed with some of the limitations of video playback with the x360 and Media Center, with a little time and effort and a converter that is easily downloadable from the internet for free, I can easily stream any video, MP3 or image from my computer to the X360 with Media Center.

All this rubbish about having more USB ports on the PS3 is mute.  Simple, want more USB ports on the X360 if you need them, buy a USB hub for under $30 and have as many USB ports as you need on the X360.

Bigger HDD on the PS3??? I really doubt "most users" out there have more than a terabyte like I have, all availble for my X360.  It's called ethernet and a router, and you can have all the HDD space you need on the X360 for all your Media needs.  Not that the PS3 can't do this, you just need the inferior Linux to do this.

If you want a HD disk player, at least you have a choice with the X360.  You get the X360 remote, King Kong HD-DVD, cables and HD-DVD player all for under $199.99.  But if you don't want a HD disk player, you are not forced to pay for it's capabilities.

Web Browers, you can run a Web Browers through the X360 with a media center plug in, but it sucks.  And from what I read about the PS3 browers capabilties, definately better than the X360's, but it also still sucks from being slow and not loading alot of web pages because of plugins being needed.  But I give the plus to the PS3 here, cause I wouldn't mind checking sports news out once in a while, while not getting off my butt and walking the 10 feet over to my computer.

Memory card readers, yet again a mute point if you have a PC and stream it.  But again, you can get a add on with the 360 that has a memory card reader.  But this adds to the cost!

Music - Unless you want to have them on the consoles HDD, they are both even.  Music play back is music playback.  With the 60gb HDD on the PS3, you can store more locally.  But again, connected to a PC and the point is void.

All in all, if you have a Media Center Computer, you can do a little more with the X360 than a PS3 can, minus some points like a web browser.  I was hoping more of a unified multimedia experience from both consoles.  I think they both feel short delivering a true multimedia experience, but I also think that both consoles will do an adequate job if you invest in the time. 

Take note that I am a windows power user, so Lunix fans will have a different opinion.  But then again, Lunix really means nothing and won't be big any time soon.  But I can see that the Lunix community doing some neat things on the PS3, and if you have some knowledge and time, the PS3 might prove to do some impressive things down the road.  Lunix open source code does open some doors that use Xbox 360 can't brag about.

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"]

UnnDunn

Actually, the Xbox 360's media sharing features are based on Universal Plug 'n' Play, which is available on all computing platforms. There are a few non-Microsoft UPnP clients that can share content to the 360, such as TVersity or Connect 360. The only completely proprietary part of it is the Windows Media Center support.

What confuses we then is why you would want to connect your 360 to a PC? It's not truly a multimedia console if it's reliant on other multimedia devices to make it into one, is it? As I've said before I can understand the benefits, but if the system can't stand on it's on as a multimedia device then surely it can't truly be constituted as one. And that's before we discuss the practicalities of such a feature when in many households the PC is designated to a space seperate to a living room.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Rashpal

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]And then we enter the territory of marketing and brand awareness, which is where this competitive farce will be won, and on that front 360 likewise has a lot of catching up to do.Tsug_Ze_Wind

And then we have price, availability, media coverage and reviews...all not in PS3's favor.

Even marketing it seems Sony has lost their touch. The PS3 commercials aren't any good at all.

Oh, man this could go on forever. The point was, between 360 and PS3, it's the latter that is better equipped for multimedia applications.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Tsug_Ze_Wind
[QUOTE="Tsug_Ze_Wind"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"]And then we enter the territory of marketing and brand awareness, which is where this competitive farce will be won, and on that front 360 likewise has a lot of catching up to do.Rashpal

Oh, man this could go on forever. The point was, between 360 and PS3, it's the latter that is better equipped for multimedia applications.

That's debateable, but I'm not one to be debating that. And with that said, I'm off.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 UnnDunn
[QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"]

Rashpal

Actually, the Xbox 360's media sharing features are based on Universal Plug 'n' Play, which is available on all computing platforms. There are a few non-Microsoft UPnP clients that can share content to the 360, such as TVersity or Connect 360. The only completely proprietary part of it is the Windows Media Center support.

What confuses we then is why you would want to connect your 360 to a PC? It's not truly a multimedia console if it's reliant on other multimedia devices to make it into one, is it? As I've said before I can understand the benefits, but if the system can't stand on it's on as a multimedia device then surely it can't truly be constituted as one. And that's before we discuss the practicalities of such a feature when in many households the PC is designated to a space seperate to a living room.

It's based around the idea that your PC, as the most versatile device in your home, should be the hub of all your multimedia content. All the devices you own, your camera, iPod, phone, TV and so on, will eventually hook in to your PC, and your PC will manage and juggle it all. We're taking baby steps towards that end right now, but I for one think it's the future.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"]

UnnDunn

It's based around the idea that your PC, as the most versatile device in your home, should be the hub of all your multimedia content. All the devices you own, your camera, iPod, phone, TV and so on, will eventually hook in to your PC, and your PC will manage and juggle it all. We're taking baby steps towards that end right now, but I for one think it's the future.

How would you sell that to the consumer??? Again, it's a very impractical notion one which judging by your description sounds very convoluted; it would require rearranging your whole PC set to suit your entertainment needs. I can't see that being a concern to most mainstream consumers. But reverting back to the topic, you've backed my arguement that as a multimedia device PS3 is superior.
skelebull3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 skelebull3000
Member since 2004 • 2724 Posts
The 360, it will have interconnectivity with the new windows vista using the media center.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 UnnDunn
[QUOTE="UnnDunn"]It's based around the idea that your PC, as the most versatile device in your home, should be the hub of all your multimedia content. All the devices you own, your camera, iPod, phone, TV and so on, will eventually hook in to your PC, and your PC will manage and juggle it all. We're taking baby steps towards that end right now, but I for one think it's the future.Rashpal
How would you sell that to the consumer??? Again, it's a very impractical notion one which judging by your description sounds very convoluted; it would require rearranging your whole PC set to suit your entertainment needs. I can't see that being a concern to most mainstream consumers. But reverting back to the topic, you've backed my arguement that as a multimedia device PS3 is superior.

Apple is already doing a good job selling this to the consumer, with its iLife apps. As home internet connections get faster, we are seeing more and more bold moves in this regard as well, such as the major networks making TV shows available online. Tech luminaries are already saying HD DVD and Blu-ray are nothing but transitional formats, which will give way to online distribution. Look at the iTunes Store, which is doing brisk business selling TV shows and movies, which are downloaded to your PC and spread around your life using various external devices (iPod, iTV, etc.) Yes, I agree with you that as a standalone device, the PS3 has slightly more capability as a multimedia machine. If that's what the OP wants, I'd recommend he get one of those. But the 360 is a much better networked device, so if he wants to network it up to other things, the 360 will serve his needs much better.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="UnnDunn"]It's based around the idea that your PC, as the most versatile device in your home, should be the hub of all your multimedia content. All the devices you own, your camera, iPod, phone, TV and so on, will eventually hook in to your PC, and your PC will manage and juggle it all. We're taking baby steps towards that end right now, but I for one think it's the future.UnnDunn

Apple is already doing a good job selling this to the consumer, with its iLife apps. As home internet connections get faster, we are seeing more and more bold moves in this regard as well, such as the major networks making TV shows available online. Tech luminaries are already saying HD DVD and Blu-ray are nothing but transitional formats, which will give way to online distribution. Look at the iTunes Store, which is doing brisk business selling TV shows and movies, which are downloaded to your PC and spread around your life using various external devices (iPod, iTV, etc.) Yes, I agree with you that as a standalone device, the PS3 has slightly more capability as a multimedia machine. If that's what the OP wants, I'd recommend he get one of those. But the 360 is a much better networked device, so if he wants to network it up to other things, the 360 will serve his needs much better.

What do you mean "better networked". Are you implying that because 360 is better prepared today to communicate to PCs it is more able at networking to electronics devices? If that is indeed the case than you seriously have to address my issues with the praticalities of this feature. Last time I checked because of its open architecture the PS3 is no less capable of "networking" with the net or any number of electronic devices. The PC as a central hub sounds like a nice idea, but due to the openness of approach from different companies it appears as one lacking in a clear sense of direction.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
360 all the way!! I can stream music, pictures and video off my PC over my network. I can download SD and HD movies off the marketplace. I did have to buy the $200 external drive, but I can watch HD DVD movies, which use the much better MPEG-4 codec versus the old MPEG-2 on Blu-ray. The 360 lets you play music during gameplay and is progressive throughout. So, start a song, and it keeps playing as you go in and out of different games. The PS3 can add these features in the future with firmware updates, but the 360 has them now. I have a PS3 and it is hardly a media center. You have to get the $60 version and put music and such on memory cards or rip CDs. The 360 just lets you play stuff already on you PC.
blaze_slay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 blaze_slay
Member since 2006 • 357 Posts
[QUOTE="godson07"]PS3:
next gen DVD drive(Blu-Ray), 60gb, built-in wifi, built-in web browser, runs linux os, connect to any bluetooth, hdmi, built-in card reader. etc
KAS3Y_JAM3Z
360 has hd dvd. oh and you can download a huge amount of tv shows, hd movies, clips music videos, music etc from market place. along with all the other video games. and i think it'd be better to stream all your stuff with out using up memory than having a 60g hdd, and ps3 doesn't connect to any bluetooh ahaha hdmi out puts are pretty pointless considering 2 games can go up ao 1080i, and thats IF they have the right tv, same goes for blu ray and why would you need a web browser? im pretty sure itd be faster to go to your computer, and my 360 is right next to my computer. 360 wins

I'm sick of these 360 fanboys response to every topic involving the Ps3.

"Who cares if it has a web browser"
"Who needs blu-ray?"
"What's the big deal about motion sensing?"

Seriously, everything the Ps3 has, you spend hours on trying to put it down. In my eyes, it's just another +1 Sony has over Ms, because your willing to spend a considerable amount of time convincing yourself that these extras the Ps3 has don't matter, and if you honestly don't care about them, just shut up because there are people that do.

I guess you can enjoy your 'win', now.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Rashpal
[QUOTE="b11051973"]360 all the way!! I can stream music, pictures and video off my PC over my network. I can download SD and HD movies off the marketplace. I did have to buy the $200 external drive, but I can watch HD DVD movies, which use the much better MPEG-4 codec versus the old MPEG-2 on Blu-ray. The 360 lets you play music during gameplay and is progressive throughout. So, start a song, and it keeps playing as you go in and out of different games. The PS3 can add these features in the future with firmware updates, but the 360 has them now. I have a PS3 and it is hardly a media center. You have to get the $60 version and put music and such on memory cards or rip CDs. The 360 just lets you play stuff already on you PC.

That's a reasonable point, but couldn't I just download all my content on to my ipod harddrive and transfer my files to my PS3 that way???
Avatar image for deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#73 deactivated-58a5e8ead9efe
Member since 2004 • 4706 Posts
I'd say the 360 has the advantage, since multimedia (pics, music, movies, etc) can be streamed from a computer, which saves the 360's HDD for games.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Rashpal
I'd say the 360 has the advantage, since multimedia (pics, music, movies, etc) can be streamed from a computer, which saves the 360's HDD for games.xerxes5678
Not necessarily a multimedia device then is it???
AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 AgentVX

[QUOTE="xerxes5678"]I'd say the 360 has the advantage, since multimedia (pics, music, movies, etc) can be streamed from a computer, which saves the 360's HDD for games.Rashpal

What is your question here, it was asked and we answered it.  To explain things very simply for you cause you obviously don't have much experience with a multimedia device, if you connect you console to the internet so you can go online, in most cases you will have some sort of hub, switch or router to share your connection.  And if you have that, then you easily have the capablities to connect your windows based PC to your 360.  And to give you more facts, most people on the planet that have a personal computer either run Windows (which is by far the most) or Apples OS.  Linux is a very distant 3rd, and I mean a very very distant 3rd.  And by 2008 most OS sold with computers will have some form of Vista install in it, and it have Media Center built in.

That being said, a multimedia device is a centralized hub that has limited capabilities that relies on other devices that can be easily hooked up to play the desired device or files.  Plain and simple, the X360 has that capabilities to do this quite a bit better than the PS3 for the vast amount of users.

Anybody that thinks the "average" comsumer will take their PS3, and load Linux, and know what the hell their doing is living in some fantasy world.  Most average consumers when asked "what is Linux?" will tell you its a car.  Please spare me your logic as it is flawed at so many avenues, it just aint funny.

The 360 has better multimedia capabilities for the vast amounts of users out in the world, and that is just plain and simple fact.  Though I do respect that fact that Linux is open sourced and there will be things on the PS3 that I do envy.  But this is coming from somebody that is very knowledgeable about computers, and someone that can utilize it's capabalities.  For the average joe, it's nothing more that a nightmare.

The PS3 does have good multimedia capabilites out of the box, but the 360 definately has the better multimedia capabilities if you have the time, effort and in some cases the money.  And if your truely looking for the multimedia hub, really, if your the average joe, the 360 is the way to go.  But if web browsing is what your looking for to post your annoying comments, stick with the PS3 since you most likely won't be playing many good games.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#76 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
The PS3 is superior.
Exodion_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Exodion_Death
Member since 2004 • 3147 Posts
sigh... a definite fanboy would answer that 360 is the best multimedia machine...
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Rob2223
Member since 2006 • 7524 Posts
360 by FAR

Custom soundtracks FTW
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 klactose
Member since 2003 • 1167 Posts
Depends on how you get your media. From a connectivity point of view the PS3 is the winner, due to it's many input options. From a networked point of view the 360 is the winner due to it's ability to stream content from networked computers (both mac and pc). I have a lot of media on my PC so the network option is more important to me. But if I had a bunch of stuff on different types of memory sticks it might be the PS3.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Rashpal

[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="xerxes5678"]I'd say the 360 has the advantage, since multimedia (pics, music, movies, etc) can be streamed from a computer, which saves the 360's HDD for games.AgentVX

What is your question here, it was asked and we answered it.  To explain things very simply for you cause you obviously don't have much experience with a multimedia device, if you connect you console to the internet so you can go online, in most cases you will have some sort of hub, switch or router to share your connection.  And if you have that, then you easily have the capablities to connect your windows based PC to your 360.  And to give you more facts, most people on the planet that have a personal computer either run Windows (which is by far the most) or Apples OS.  Linux is a very distant 3rd, and I mean a very very distant 3rd.  And by 2008 most OS sold with computers will have some form of Vista install in it, and it have Media Center built in.

That being said, a multimedia device is a centralized hub that has limited capabilities that relies on other devices that can be easily hooked up to play the desired device or files.  Plain and simple, the X360 has that capabilities to do this quite a bit better than the PS3 for the vast amount of users.

Anybody that thinks the "average" comsumer will take their PS3, and load Linux, and know what the hell their doing is living in some fantasy world.  Most average consumers when asked "what is Linux?" will tell you its a car.  Please spare me your logic as it is flawed at so many avenues, it just aint funny.

The 360 has better multimedia capabilities for the vast amounts of users out in the world, and that is just plain and simple fact.  Though I do respect that fact that Linux is open sourced and there will be things on the PS3 that I do envy.  But this is coming from somebody that is very knowledgeable about computers, and someone that can utilize it's capabalities.  For the average joe, it's nothing more that a nightmare.

The PS3 does have good multimedia capabilites out of the box, but the 360 definately has the better multimedia capabilities if you have the time, effort and in some cases the money.  And if your truely looking for the multimedia hub, really, if your the average joe, the 360 is the way to go.  But if web browsing is what your looking for to post your annoying comments, stick with the PS3 since you most likely won't be playing many good games.

Without offering any reasons for disregarding my arguement that PS3 is the better multimedia device how can you expect me to take you seriously. Your suggestion that 360 is a better multimedia hub due to it's ability to network with a Windows based PC is preposterous. More so considering your primary arguement is that it is the more easily approachable of the formats. The fundamental flaw in your arguement is that the consumer would have to invest his/her time and resources to make these streaming capabilties possible. And there lies my point: if all the 360 multimedia content is streamed from a Windows based PC how can it be considered a multimedia device. It is more so another electronics device which a Windows based PC can communicate with, in which case it isn't 360 that is the multimedia hub, rather the PC and as the comparison is between PS3 and 360... well you get the point. Let me make the point even simplier so there is no confusion: for a device to be considered multimedia system it should be able to fullfill that brief as a standlone format. Of the two systems being discussed only one is capable of delivering on that count. I leave you to decide which system that is. Needless to say fanboys out there need to wake up.
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Rashpal
Depends on how you get your media. From a connectivity point of view the PS3 is the winner, due to it's many input options. From a networked point of view the 360 is the winner due to it's ability to stream content from networked computers (both mac and pc). I have a lot of media on my PC so the network option is more important to me. But if I had a bunch of stuff on different types of memory sticks it might be the PS3.klactose
Networked computers running Windows software, yes, but not all networked computers.
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 klactose
[QUOTE="klactose"]Depends on how you get your media. From a connectivity point of view the PS3 is the winner, due to it's many input options. From a networked point of view the 360 is the winner due to it's ability to stream content from networked computers (both mac and pc). I have a lot of media on my PC so the network option is more important to me. But if I had a bunch of stuff on different types of memory sticks it might be the PS3.Rashpal
Networked computers running Windows software, yes, but not all networked computers.

It doesn't have to be windows based... you can network Mac computers too.
Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts
Ok, seriously you lemmings are going to far...  PS3 beats 360 in multimedia features, how can u be that blind?

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="klactose"]Depends on how you get your media. From a connectivity point of view the PS3 is the winner, due to it's many input options. From a networked point of view the 360 is the winner due to it's ability to stream content from networked computers (both mac and pc). I have a lot of media on my PC so the network option is more important to me. But if I had a bunch of stuff on different types of memory sticks it might be the PS3.klactose

Are you trying to tell me it can communicate with Mac OS? If so what's stopping it from doing the same with Linux?
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Rashpal
Ok, seriously you lemmings are going to far...  PS3 beats 360 in multimedia features, how can u be that blind?

Blazerdt47
They should be called bats. The topic's about multimedia. The lemmings seemed to have confused that with networking and streaming and have concluded that the two are the same. :roll: Honestly, it worse then wasting your breath.
ChrisGTA777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ChrisGTA777
Member since 2006 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="MonkaTG"]ps3... internet browser (I have 4 computers and a laptop that do it better)
Mp3 (so can the 360)
 photos (so can the 360, and can stream them from pc)
videos (360 can do it, and download full hd movies and tv shows)
downloadable games (yawn, xbl arcade)
universal buddy lists (haha xbl)
messaging voice chat (WOW! even the xbox had that) (you cant send messages in game or chat with ps3 though)
(out of game chat as well)
wide range of settings blu-ray cd dvd(no way! settings! alright d00d!)
 (upscaling coming soon) rip (
cd, ipod, mp3, phone data, etc.) (360 can do all of that as well)
s store universal USB recognition(360 can do it)KAS3Y_JAM3Z

No matter how much fanboy commentary you give the PS3 still has more (Internet browser, Blu-Ray, Use of real $ in PS store instead of stupid points, ability to use Linux, Free online gaming, etc.....).

PS3.....>>>.....X-Box 360 - in both hardware and multimedia.

Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Rashpal

[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="MonkaTG"]ps3... internet browser (I have 4 computers and a laptop that do it better)
Mp3 (so can the 360)
 photos (so can the 360, and can stream them from pc)
videos (360 can do it, and download full hd movies and tv shows)
downloadable games (yawn, xbl arcade)
universal buddy lists (haha xbl)
messaging voice chat (WOW! even the xbox had that) (you cant send messages in game or chat with ps3 though)
(out of game chat as well)
wide range of settings blu-ray cd dvd(no way! settings! alright d00d!)
 (upscaling coming soon) rip (
cd, ipod, mp3, phone data, etc.) (360 can do all of that as well)
s store universal USB recognition(360 can do it)ChrisGTA777

No matter how much fanboy commentary you give the PS3 still has more (Internet browser, Blu-Ray, Use of real $ in PS store instead of stupid points, ability to use Linux, Free online gaming, etc.....).

PS3.....>>>.....X-Box 360 - in both hardware and multimedia.

Agreed.
spectre37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#88 spectre37
Member since 2005 • 1042 Posts

[QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.GoldenGlove

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

FACT. PS3 hardware > Xbox 360 hardware.

Yeah, that's a givin'.

But I'm just talkin' about whats better for multimedia purposes only.

PS3 has more mulitmedia purposes for sure.

For reference: i own a 360 and don't own a PS3.

Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Rob2223
[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]Ok, seriously you lemmings are going to far...  PS3 beats 360 in multimedia features, how can u be that blind?

Rashpal
They should be called bats. The topic's about multimedia. The lemmings seemed to have confused that with networking and streaming and have concluded that the two are the same. :roll: Honestly, it worse then wasting your breath.

music isnt media? videos arent media? can you stream music through your ps3, and play it while playing a game? NO
360 wins Custom soundtracks > web browsing
Ogre_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ogre_Mage
Member since 2005 • 3202 Posts
Media Center PC > the consoles
klactose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 klactose
[QUOTE="klactose"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="klactose"]Depends on how you get your media. From a connectivity point of view the PS3 is the winner, due to it's many input options. From a networked point of view the 360 is the winner due to it's ability to stream content from networked computers (both mac and pc). I have a lot of media on my PC so the network option is more important to me. But if I had a bunch of stuff on different types of memory sticks it might be the PS3.Rashpal

Are you trying to tell me it can communicate with Mac OS? If so what's stopping it from doing the same with Linux?

Yes I'm saying that it can communicate with Mac OS. Not sure if it can communicate with Linux, it probably can, someone just needs to write a linux based program for it I'm sure. But Windows and Mac OS is already possible.
Xbox360gamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Xbox360gamer1
Member since 2005 • 8575 Posts
[QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.godson07

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

FACT: I > You
Rashpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Rashpal
[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]Ok, seriously you lemmings are going to far...  PS3 beats 360 in multimedia features, how can u be that blind?

Rob2223

music isnt media? videos arent media? can you stream music through your ps3, and play it while playing a game? NO

You're talking about software applications which can be impliment over the course of the PS3 life. 360's lack of multimedia features are partly to do with hardware issues, which are less easily resolved.
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Rob2223
[QUOTE="Rob2223"][QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]Ok, seriously you lemmings are going to far...  PS3 beats 360 in multimedia features, how can u be that blind?

Rashpal

You're talking about software applications which can be impliment over the course of the PS3 life. 360's lack of multimedia features are partly to do with hardware issues, which are less easily resolved.

ya im sure, sony will get to it eventually!:roll: arent you cows sick of waiting?
Rob2223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Rob2223
[QUOTE="godson07"][QUOTE="GoldenGlove"][QUOTE="godson07"]I am lemming but I say its PS3.Xbox360gamer1

Can you elaborate?

I dont need to.

FACT: I > You

hes got ya there!:P
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

PC (which they both are becoming rapidly both in price and features)

Seriously though id say 360. PS3 may have better hardware, but they can barely code a damn application to view your movies or pics. Microsoft has the leg up when it comes to that kind of stuff (they make operating systems for christs sake)

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 AgentVX
[QUOTE="AgentVX"]

[QUOTE="Rashpal"][QUOTE="xerxes5678"]I'd say the 360 has the advantage, since multimedia (pics, music, movies, etc) can be streamed from a computer, which saves the 360's HDD for games.Rashpal

Without offering any reasons for disregarding my arguement that PS3 is the better multimedia device how can you expect me to take you seriously. Your suggestion that 360 is a better multimedia hub due to it's ability to network with a Windows based PC is preposterous. More so considering your primary arguement is that it is the more easily approachable of the formats. The fundamental flaw in your arguement is that the consumer would have to invest his/her time and resources to make these streaming capabilties possible. And there lies my point: if all the 360 multimedia content is streamed from a Windows based PC how can it be considered a multimedia device. It is more so another electronics device which a Windows based PC can communicate with, in which case it isn't 360 that is the multimedia hub, rather the PC and as the comparison is between PS3 and 360... well you get the point. Let me make the point even simplier so there is no confusion: for a device to be considered multimedia system it should be able to fullfill that brief as a standlone format. Of the two systems being discussed only one is capable of delivering on that count. I leave you to decide which system that is. Needless to say fanboys out there need to wake up.

As I said, out of the box, the PS3 does have a little better multimedia capabilites then the 360 because of a unproven movie format called BluRay, multimedia card reader and web browsing.  But the "potential" for multimedia definately goes to the 360.  And if you have the money if you choose, you can buy the most likely winner of the HD format war, HD-DVD.

You can't be serious if you think that a generation of Microsoft windows users are gonna switch to Linux.  I will never argue with you that out of the box the PS3 is slightly better, but as I mentioned before, if you are sharing your internet connection to the 360, the 360 has more capabilities.  And with Vista coming out next month, it will even be easier to connect you 360 to your PC which I might add is the biggest component of most users for multimedia.

Not is only the 360 more future proof for most users, it is the format in which most users will share and display their home movies, downloadable content, home pictures and MP3's on.  Windows Vista, whether you hate it or love it, will be in most house holds by 2009 -10, thus connecting your 360 will be nothing more than any media center hub that you will be able to buy in any store that you can stream from you PC from either from WiFi or ethernet.

Since I am a PC power user, I can do more than any PS3 user can besides web browse.  I can even web browse through an plugin on to Media Center from a 360 remote, but it's definately is more of a hassle and very clunky.  I rather go to my PC.  I will conclude on this point that I am very disappointed from MS that I can't browse the internet from my 360, and am disappointed on their HDD capacity.

You keep posing questions, but you don't give any counters from the capabilites of the PS3.  If you ask me personally, I am dissappointed in both consoles and their multimedia capabilites.  But I can easily say that the 360 from my PC has a fair amount of lead in this arguement.

Either way, I can argree with out out of the box the PS3 has more capabilites. But the already potential and future potential of the 360 is proven.  So, either you leave you PS3 as a stand alone product, it has more potential.  But connected to a PC, the 360 definately has the lead.  And lets get real here for a second, more multimedia from users is either stored on DVD format through movies, or everything else like music, movies and digital pictures are stored on your PC.  Thus an extention of your 360 to your PC is the only logical step, and that is through Windows or Mac based PC.

360 wins.....

BlueBarad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 BlueBarad
Member since 2003 • 2218 Posts
Define Multimedia. what do you want to do?
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
watch porn