Which franchise has better stories? Final Fantasy or The Legend of Zelda?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

Poll Which franchise has better stories? Final Fantasy or The Legend of Zelda? (51 votes)

Final Fantasy 65%
The Legend of Zelda 25%

I can't really decide.

• 
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#51 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

Final Fantasy plots are some of the most moronic shit imaginable.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@inb4uall said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

FF has told some better stories, but it's rare and has been a while. Zelda is more on the minimal side, but more consistent. I'd rather have minimal story or no story at all than a terrible story.

Still I voted FF. To me, the series offered more memorable stories than Zelda has... though prefer the approach in Zelda since it's highly unlikely that their stories will make me cringe.

lol such a tough question to answer.

Well I'd say it's highly unlikely, even with SE's claim to return to their strong JRP roots, that FF is suddenly going to have a good story again. I'd take no story at all rather than the garbage in lightning returns anyday.

Yeah, I'm thinking their latest realization is probably in regards to gameplay and world design. Which hey I can't complain, any improvements are welcome. I doubt they even understand how bad their stories suck though.

Looking at their story telling history it seems that fun and simple always wins the race. As far back as FFVII they started diverging on this path of being overly melodramatic and convoluted. Trying to give the false illusion of depth and really cheesing on the emotion. It wasn't really too much of a problem at all back then, but it started becoming a bit obvious with FFX and then the bottom completely fell out with the XIII games.

I think every employee at SE should have to play FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFIX, Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG. Hell even throw Secret of Mana and FFVII in there.

Nothing against FFVII btw, it's actually one of my favs... I could just see the guys at SE taking all the wrong cues from that game and ignoring what made it good.

Nah screw FVII. As soon as FVI ended so did any love I had for the series

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Final fantasy because the story in FF3 is about 50x bigger and better than every Zelda game ever created combined. Zelda has no story really and even worse yet despite the fact they all contain the same world and the same characters they make virtually no sense at all when lined up. The only sense made of it is filled in the blanks by fans, or some half assed idealology from Nintendo that never actually exists in the games.

@cainetao11 said:

Isnt the story much the same in most Zelda's? I voted Zelda because anything with someone named Cloud is..............not for me.

Obviously you aren't qualified to answer this question or give an opinion because you have outed yourself as not knowing a single thing about final fantasy.

Yes cloud is the name of a character....in one game out of dozens of final fantasy games. And out of those dozens of games only a few even had anything to do with eachother.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I don't know what to vote for. Normally I would say FF due to VI and IX but FF has had some abysmal stories.

Plus Majoras Mask exists.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Final Fantasy's stories are weird and corny. Not a fan. Zelda has Wind Waker, which actually had a fantastic story. So Zelda wins.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#58 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

Most Nintendo games have poor or none existent stories but they make up for it with gameplay, still 20 years and they havent learned how to be good at this part. I'd take ff story over any zelda ones.

Try some Mother, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem, Mario RPGs and of course play Xenoblade sometime again. :)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#59 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

There were a few Zelda games with cute little stories. None of them as disjointed and convoluted as the FF stories. I vote neither because both series are not about the stories, imo.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Zelda is my favorite franchise, but I pretty much skip the story.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Zelda has stories?

been playing zelda since the nes but never even noticed it....

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#63 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Zelda is more about puzzle solving and exploration. The story has always been a bit of an afterthought. Then, they tried to fit everything together in a convoluted timeline...

Story is a central part of Final Fantasy. The drama plays a much larger role in that franchise than it does in Zelda.

I'm not saying the story in Zelda games are bad; they're just adequate on a case by case basis(not in context of the timeline).

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#64 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Zelda has no story apparently. Smh, System Wars.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#65 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@Gargus said:

Final fantasy because the story in FF3 is about 50x bigger and better than every Zelda game ever created combined. Zelda has no story really and even worse yet despite the fact they all contain the same world and the same characters they make virtually no sense at all when lined up. The only sense made of it is filled in the blanks by fans, or some half assed idealology from Nintendo that never actually exists in the games.

Now that you mention it, Zelda's timeline is way more convoluted than anything in FF. Ironic, because Zelda is known for having straightforward stories and FF is known for convoluted stories.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Gargus: obviously I'm an American, with the freedom to say anything I want. I served and defended that freedom, therefore earned it. Blow me. Cloud is a character from ff7, I also have 3,4,8...........they suck.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

In terms of Story:

Final Fantasy Tactics > Twilight Princess > Final Fantasy VI > Final Fantasy IX > Majora's Mask > Ocarina of Time > Final Fantasy IV > Final Fantasy XIV > Minish Cap > WindWaker = Final Fantasy X > Final Fantasy VII > Skyward Sword = Final Fantasy V > Final Fantasy VIII > Final Fantasy XIII > Link Between Worlds > Link's Awakening > Phantom Hourglass > A Link to the Past > Spirit Tracks > Final Fantasy III > Final Fantasy > Oracle of Seasons/Ages > Final Fantasy II > Four Sword > Legend of Zelda > Zelda II

Haven't played FFXI or FFXII

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#68 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Chutebox said:

Zelda has stories?

been playing zelda since the nes but never even noticed it....

Yup.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#69  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Zelda has no story apparently. Smh, System Wars.

Sad, isn't it?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'd bet Final Fantasy.

But I liked Ocarina of Time's story. It's the cliche rescue the princess story but with a nice time twist and excellent music to add weight to the moments that are in my memory.

I'm also okay with most cliches being in video form as it is since it's interactive. Unfortunately OoT isn't a great game, but whatever.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

both are great, but Final Fantasy has better stories

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#72  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I would rank their stories in the following order:

1. Final Fantasy 4-10 (1991-2001)

2. Zelda 3+ (1991-2013)

3. Final Fantasy 11-14 (2002-2014)

4. Final Fantasy 1-3 (1987-1990)

5. Zelda 1-2 (1986-1988)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gue1

@SNIPER4321 said:

@lbjkurono23 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

None.

Zelda has no story and final fantasy story are like worst kind of. fantasy romance and girly.

Dont you want romance? I mean it must get tiring seeing all these grey "badass" dudes with no one to love.

No. i dont like romance and love.

you're not a human then which renders your opinion about anything human (including video games) invalid.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Gue1

@SNIPER4321 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

Final Fantasy. Girly and full of romance. It's amazing.

what if it was dark and gritty micheal?

then he wouldn't like FFVII.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Gargus said:

@cainetao11 said:

Isnt the story much the same in most Zelda's? I voted Zelda because anything with someone named Cloud is..............not for me.

Obviously you aren't qualified to answer this question or give an opinion because you have outed yourself as not knowing a single thing about final fantasy.

Yes cloud is the name of a character....in one game out of dozens of final fantasy games. And out of those dozens of games only a few even had anything to do with eachother.

To be fair, it's not like FF7 is the only FF with goofy names. 13 for instance is filled with them--Lightning, Snow, Vanille, Hope, etc etc