What are your thoughts on Nintendo officially leaving the Home Console market?

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

The Switch marks the end of Nintendo in the home console market.

The Switch is a 3DS successor with the ability to connect to the big screen. If you say otherwise then I guess the Vita was a home console since you could also connect it to a TV.

I think Nintendo leaving the market is unfortunate but we all saw it coming after the colossal flop known as the Wii U.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

They havnt left, they just revolutionized it. A portable home console is genius. Vita wish it could do what Switch does. Vita was a gimmick, you had to buy a PlayStation TV to do it. Talk about milking your customer. Mooo beach, get out the way.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Brah4ever

@iandizion713 said:

They havnt left, they just revolutionized it.

Yeah, because hooking up a mobile device to your TV has never been done before.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iandizion713

@brah4ever: Name us who did it. Nintendo is first dedicated gaming device to do so. Mirroring is not the same thing. And mirroring only works on certain stuff.

That would be like saying Wii U did it since Wii U had a button to switch from TV to game console on a bunch of games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

How do I connect mine Vita to mine TV ?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I think the TC needs a break from SW

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@brah4ever: Name us who did it. Nintendo is first dedicated gaming device to do so. Mirroring is not the same thing. And mirroring only works on certain stuff.

shhh hes on his hate bandwagon... common sense need not apply.

God forbid hardware implementation ever becomes different from the playstation/xbore norm...

All the more proof all system warriors care about is graphics.

Get a PC then. ffs.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 iandizion713

@MBirdy88: Thats what i dont understand, if they dislike it so much then why make 100+ posts whining about it. And exactly, if you want power, PC will let you build till your wallet goes dry.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

People are really trying to argue that the Switch is not first and foremost a portable device. LMAO.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brah4ever

@Pedro said:

People are really trying to argue that the Switch is not first and foremost a portable device. LMAO.

They are in denial.

The Switch is a portable device with docking capabilities, nothing more (heck, it uses 3DS looking cartridges).

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pedro

@brah4ever: They like playing the "let's pretend" game apparently.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Nintendo just saved gaming bro.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iandizion713

@Pedro said:

Its a home console first, portable second. It has to be in home console mode to charge.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@brah4ever said:
@Pedro said:

They are in denial.

The Switch is a portable device with docking capabilities, nothing more (heck, it uses 3DS looking cartridges).

.... damn... I mean, I know you for some reason hate it already... maybe because it puts the stationary console market (much like Tablet/Phones did to Desktops) at risk of becoming more niche (or consoles world.. pointless) but really... using cartridges as some sort of negative? even though they can match blu rays pretty easily now?

Grasping.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

...lol

the salt is real. how many more Switch threads are you going to make?

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brah4ever

@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@Pedro said:

They are in denial.

.... damn... I mean, I know you for some reason hate it already... maybe because it puts the stationary console market (much like Tablet/Phones did to Desktops) at risk of becoming more niche (or consoles world.. pointless) but really... using cartridges as some sort of negative? even though they can match blu rays pretty easily now?

Grasping.

Wait so a tablet puts the stationary home console market at risk? Your precious 3DS couldn't even reach half of the original DS sales thanks to tablets/smartphones infiltrating the market.

First of all its Nintendo and they haven't carried the kind of games the casuals love in over a decade, consumer trust is low.

Always hear "I'd love to play Smash or Mario Kart or whatever, but I don't want to buy a Nintendo console to play them".

Wii U only sold 13 million in a time where gaming is much more accepted and mainstream, think about that.

A tablet which probably won't be stronger than the Vanilla PS4/Xbox One will put stationary platforms in danger....

mmmmkay

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#18 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

Wow, I can't believe some of you still think that the console is not a hybrid, that should be blatantly obvious by now.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

You seem hell bent on putting down the Switch which is weird but this is SW so whatever.

I think this all comes down to the library of games. If the Switch gets PS4/X1 ports then can we really say it's just a handheld?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iandizion713

@speak_low: Nintendo not happy unless this thing sells more than 200 million, trust me, i talked with Nintendo on the tele. I said mam, are you sure, she said yeah, we need to make a major comeback and destroy Sony and Microsoft fanboys. Then she said, can i help you with anything else. I said nah, thatll be all.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Brah4ever

@22Toothpicks said:

You seem hell bent on putting down the Switch which is weird but this is SW so whatever.

I think this all comes down to the library of games. If the Switch gets PS4/X1 ports then can we really say it's just a handheld?

Yeah, that's the beauty of Nvidia's Tegra platform, PC type power on the go.

Doesn't mean it's not a handheld, its just a high powered one.

Think Vita, nobody called it a console even though it was capable of outputting console like graphics.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brah4ever

@iandizion713 said:

@speak_low: Nintendo not happy unless this thing sells more than 200 million, trust me, i talked with Nintendo on the tele. I said mam, are you sure, she said yeah, we need to make a major comeback and destroy Sony and Microsoft fanboys. Then she said, can i help you with anything else. I said nah, thatll be all.

Nintendo only has 1 platform now, if this doesn't sell over 50 million it'll be a failure.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iandizion713

@brah4ever: If it sells under 150 million its a failure.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

Once again Nintendo says F U to 3rd Party and once again they will fail. Nobody wants to develop games for this bull****

Gamecube was their last decent console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@Pedro said:

They are in denial.

Grasping.

Wait so a tablet puts the stationary home console market at risk? Your precious 3DS couldn't even reach half of the original DS sales thanks to tablets/smartphones infiltrating the market.

First of all its Nintendo and they haven't carried the kind of games the casuals love in over a decade, consumer trust is low.

Always hear "I'd love to play Smash or Mario Kart or whatever, but I don't want to buy a Nintendo console to play them".

Wii U only sold 13 million in a time where gaming is much more accepted and mainstream, think about that.

A tablet which probably won't be stronger than the Vanilla PS4/Xbox One will put stationary platforms in danger....

mmmmkay

The dots you put together as justification are just asinine.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@iandizion713 said:

Its a home console first, portable second. It has to be in home console mode to charge.

Thats is factually not true. Its entirely made up of mobile parts in addition to that the system and all its parts are encased in a a tablet. A tablet is a mobile device.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:

Think Vita, nobody called it a console even though it was capable of outputting console like graphics.

"console like graphics"...you mean like a PS2?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@MonsieurX said:
@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:

"console like graphics"...you mean like a PS2?

The Tegra X1 could run Tomb Raider on full settings at 30FPS ... that is more than the PS3 could do.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brah4ever

@rasengan2552 said:

Once again Nintendo says F U to 3rd Party and once again they will fail. Nobody wants to develop games for this bull****

Gamecube was their last decent console.

Yup, why would devs want to bother making a Switch version.

They already have enough on their plate with Scorpio/Pro variants of games.

3rd party games historically don't sell well on Nintendo platforms, so where is the incentive to do extra work?

If you guys can't see Wii U 2.0 coming, you guys are insane.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

They havnt left, they just revolutionized it. A portable home console is genius. Vita wish it could do what Switch does. Vita was a gimmick, you had to buy a PlayStation TV to do it. Talk about milking your customer. Mooo beach, get out the way.

Gotta agree here. Its Nintendo. They are going to attempt different things because they don't want to be a third option of pretty much the same thing and I cant say I blame them. I'm not sold on this Switch, but I always respect the ballsy-ness of taking chances.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Brah4ever

@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@Pedro said:

They are in denial.

Grasping.

mmmmkay

Wii U only sold 13 million during a time where gaming is more accepted and mainstream.

Think about this before you throw out words like asinine.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 22Toothpicks

@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:

No one called the Vita a home console because it was never marketed as one. The Vita also doesn't have it's own specific controller made for when it is plugged into a TV. We don't know exactly how Nintendo is going to sell the Switch but the hybrid nature of the device is surely going to be a focus. And it is a hybrid. Yes, it's a portable first but it's still a hybrid. This point will be further enforced if we find out the dock has the ability to upscale or if the Switch runs at higher clocks while docked.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I see your effort on this bruh and I give you props for trying but sheep here will just fight it off. It will have some great games I'm sure just like Wii U and 3ds and the fact that you won't have to buy a games twice(I know some who've bought Smash bros on both) but 3rd party support will drop fast. I have no doubt in that.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

It has like a 3 hour battery life. Too short for it to be primarily a handheld imo.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brah4ever

@22Toothpicks said:
@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:

No one called the Vita a home console because it was never marketed as one. The Vita also doesn't have it's own specific controller made for when it is plugged into a TV. We don't know exactly how Nintendo is going to sell the Switch but the hybrid nature of the device is surely going to be a focus. And it is a hybrid. Yes, it's a portable first but it's still a hybrid. This point will be further enforced if we find out the dock has the ability to upscale or if the Switch runs at higher clocks while docked.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-nintendo-switch-dock-is-not-the-main-console/1100-6444680/

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch, a Nintendo representative told IGN. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode."

"The principal function of the dock, then, is to output to the TV and charge the system."

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@MonsieurX: Vita graphics were ahead of PS2 by a fair margin.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Grasping.

mmmmkay

Wii U only sold 13 million during a time where gaming is more accepted and mainstream.

Think about this before you throw out words like asinine.

Stop spouting this "more accepted" nonsense.... the PS2 outsold the PS3 and will likely outsell the PS4... this timeframe nonsense is indeed asinine.

Everything is about implementation, marketing and value to the consumor. The Wii U had none of that. The Switch now does what MS have sensibly been trying to move the general PC market to.

The 3DS ofcourse had similar issues yet still sold what 70 million? and is still selling.

As I said, the dots you connect do not factor the complete change in direction, in a very sensible way.

What would you have wanted nintendo to do? to make a Xbox One Pro equivalent console? because we got enough of those boring copy cats as it is.

But hey, time will tell, and so Will a full console version of Pokemon available on the go and on the big screen will be a big test of what this offers.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

It's a console-handheld hybrid, it's still a console. And I think the move is genius. The system will now get the third party Japanese support that'd normally go to handhelds (even more so with Sony exiting handheld market) and people can play it either way, either on their TV, or on the go. Any console gamers disappointed with the selection of things like JRPGs on the PS4, they'll find the Switch to be the go-to console for those kinds of games.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 22Toothpicks

@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:
@brah4ever said:
@22Toothpicks said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-nintendo-switch-dock-is-not-the-main-console/1100-6444680/

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch," a Nintendo representative told IGN. "The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode."

"The principal function of the dock, then, is to output to the TV and charge and power the system."

The principal function. Meaning it's primary function is to output to the TV and charge the system. This does not eliminate the possibility that the handheld runs at higher clocks while docked. To make myself clear I am not claiming the dock has extra horsepower. I am saying that I think the Switch runs down clocked and is passively cooled while separate from the dock and runs at normal clocks and actively cooled while docked.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

Stop spouting this "more accepted" nonsense.... the PS2 outsold the PS3 and will likely outsell the PS4... this timeframe nonsense is indeed asinine.

The PlayStation 2 was on the market for 13 years, discounted to $50 in the ending years and extremely popular in the third world where money is tight and it's all that could be afforded...

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iandizion713

@Pedro said:
@iandizion713 said:

Thats is factually not true. Its entirely made up of mobile parts in addition to that the system and all its parts are encased in a a tablet. A tablet is a mobile device.

Its not even a tablet as we dont know if it has touch capabilities. Yall be trying to hate way to hard. Funny for people who dont care for the console yall sure spend a lot of time whining about it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I'd preferred if the console gave some competition to mah ps4 cuz the Xbone is unable to do so.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
@dynamitecop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

The PlayStation 2 was on the market for 13 years, discounted to $50 in the ending years and extremely popular in the third world where money is tight and it's all that could be afforded...

exactly.. circumstances.

Got an excuse for the Wii as well?

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brah4ever

@MBirdy88 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

exactly.. circumstances.

The Wii pretty much brought games into the hands of people who thought games were for kids/nerds.

Made gaming much more socially acceptable to the general public, it was plastered all over the media. You had various outlets like CNN and BBC showing soccer moms, grandparents, etc. using it.

It became more than just only nerds or little kids play games and instead people (talking in first person) "just like myself" play games too? Woah, ima get me one, hence the Wii craze in around 2006-2007.

These very same people eventually became mobile gamers (phones/tablets) or moved onto PS360 hence why every console last gen sold over 80 million units, this has never happened before.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

exactly.. circumstances.

The Wii pretty much brought games into the hands of people who thought games were for kids/nerds.

Made gaming much more socially acceptable to the general public, it was plastered all over the media. Soccer moms, grandparents, etc.

It became more than just only nerds or little kids games and instead people (talking in first person) "just like myself" play games too? Woah, ima get me one, hence the Wii craze in around 2006-2007.

These very same people eventually became mobile gamers (phones/tablets) or moved onto PS360 hence why every console last gen sold over 80 million units, this has never happened before.

This^

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 22Toothpicks

@iandizion713 said:
@Pedro said:
@iandizion713 said:

Its not even a tablet as we dont know if it has touch capabilities. Yall be trying to hate way to hard. Funny for people who dont care for the console yall sure spend a lot of time whining about it.

Rumors from Emily Rodgers claim that is has a multi-touch capacitive screen. And if it doesn't have a touch screen I will eat one of my shoes.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#47 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm happy that they outlasted their competition. Now we have two closed system miniPC's and a tablet.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iandizion713

@22Toothpicks: Get ready to eat your shoes. Its pretty hard to touch a device thats docked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@MBirdy88 said:

exactly.. circumstances.

Made gaming much more socially acceptable to the general public, it was plastered all over the media. You had various outlets like CNN and BBC showing soccer moms, grandparents, etc. using it.

It became more than just only nerds or little kids play games and instead people (talking in first person) "just like myself" play games too? Woah, ima get me one, hence the Wii craze in around 2006-2007.

Right, and now there is a Handheld/Home console device in one that incorporates what people find attractive about a tablet and a home gaming console in one, and you dismiss that as a gimmick? why? because the only thing a PS4/Xbox can do over it is better graphics... something that is starting to prove to be less impactful over things like price and software... because of diminishing returns.. and the lack of risk taking in the AAA market.. to the point where we have 2 companies that have nothing to brag about over eachother except expensive console upgrades that follow that same trend.

Will probably completely replace the PSVita for its niche Japanese focused market, combined with nintendo's excellent first party.... anyone who likes japanese stuff will appreciate this device even if it doesn't match PS4... ironically pretty dead on the Japanese front.

If this was running Nintendo's old .. trashy OS/eco system (again another major downside for them) then I would agree with you more. but this is Nvidia/Android TV 2.0 with an up to date Nvidia GPU (GTX mobile range) , the Tegra X1 surpassed PS3/Xbox360 graphics in 2015 quite nicely... whatever this new one is, if it even reaches Xbox One or close.. is more than enough for this device.

All-in-one device... built on already well established services.... you underestimate the potential, you could be right, you could be wrong. but your narrow minded view of the situation based on the Wii U is just wrong.