Used game sales nearly as bad as piracy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
According to EA's Glen Schofield, Dead Space had twice as many players on PSN and XBL as it did buyers:

But then we also did studies on sort of how many unique users there were on the PSN network and Xbox Live. And realized, you know what, there's over three million people that have played Dead Space. Maybe we've only sold 1.5 million

Full story on Kotaku.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

Yes it is.

Rentals are bad as well, but at least they do get some money from them.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
holy hell piratism :O it got WORSE?!?!?!?
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
I buy used games (from Ebay mostly). :\ $60 for a 7 hour game just isn't my cup of tea...sorry EA.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts

people sell their games. it's always happened.

a lot of games are short. but are £40. so people sell it on.

a lot of people buy a game but are dissappointed so sell it on.

Gta3-fan334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gta3-fan334
Member since 2004 • 1499 Posts

No. No, its not

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

games should have a price drop at least every 6 months... or 3 moths if the game is not selling well. One of the reasons I got Uncharted used was because I didnt want to pay full price for a game that came out in 2007.

finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 finesse-gamer
Member since 2009 • 946 Posts

I buy used games (from Ebay mostly). :\ $60 for a 7 hour game just isn't my cup of tea...sorry EA.killab2oo5

you could argue that if used game stores didn't exist prices would go down.

that does work both ways though.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RK-Mara

CwlHeddwyn
The problem is just that the game companies don't see any of that money. I don't buy games because my morals are too good for stealing, I buy games because I want to support the people behind them. If just publishers/developers got a small slice from the price of a used game. Fortunately I believe that is soon going to happen with digital distribution.
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

CwlHeddwyn

I'm not accusing you or anything, but why do the reasons pirates present get shot down but these don't? What you're doing is even worse: making money where the developer doesn't.

It's just more hypocritical bull.

finesse-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 finesse-gamer
Member since 2009 • 946 Posts

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

Firebird-5

I'm not accusing you or anything, but why do the reasons pirates present get shot down but these don't? What you're doing is even worse: making money where the developer doesn't.

because selling used games isn't illegal...

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Richymisiak

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

Firebird-5

so you're not allowed to sell something you've purchased?
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

piratism? lol! of course not...

EA is just greedy.

maybe its just me, but i only rent games i wouldnt buy in the first place.... in other words, EA wouldnt have my money anyway

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

Richymisiak

I never said that, did I? You sure can, just don't turn around and call pirates scum when what you're doing is arguably worse.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

No way. Reselling your games, trading or lending to friends, and renting games is not a BAD thing. It's part of the culture surrounding all media, and it's been that way for decades. If a friend comes over and I find he has never seen an all time favorite movie of mine, I lend him the copy. When I'm looking for a classic album, I go to the used music store. Getting bored with one of your games? Trade it for a friends completed game. There isn't anythign wrong with that.

The Beatles have been heard the world over. No matter how many ten of millions of albums they have sold, more people have heard them than bought them. But that isn't a bad thing. Sharing, lending, trading, and selling your property isn't piracy. It's your right as a property owner.

If they want to change software from selling it to a limited use liscence, I'll go along, but at the same time I would spend more than 10 bucks on a title. If I own a title, I'm not gonna feel bad for excersizing my rights as an owner. If they want to treat me like a renter, then I'll pay rental prices.

The fact of the matter is that Piracy creates a copy of the game that isn't paid for. Reselling/trading/lending/borrowing games is transferring your rights to a piece of your property to another for a time, or forever. You aren't creating anything new. And no more people are using a title at any given time than that have paid the creator for it.

skanjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 skanjos
Member since 2006 • 647 Posts

those are from rentals and double/triple psn accounts .a 10% maybe from selling.they cant do anything about it,actually they can lower the %$#@^%@ price after a time period so used games wont be an issue,but as i said before it wont help renting and the account issue

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Richymisiak

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"][QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

Firebird-5

I never said that, did I? You sure can, just don't turn around and call pirates scum when what you're doing is arguably worse.

but you're saying selling something you've purchased is 'even worse' than pirating it
PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

I agree that buying used games from Gamestop is bad. I am biased because any time they buy a new title for 30 bucks tops, and turn around and sell it for 55, I feel I get gipped. Never done it, but younger bro has, and told him better to sell on ebay.

Anyways I digress. It's bad becuase developers need to recoup money, and what not in order to want to develop for any p latform. If they dont' see a profit, this may steer them away from platforms, as Activision has threatened to do with ps3 (since software attach rates are low, activison beleives high ps3 price is not allowing more people to buy ps3...etc.) What I have to say to that is if developers focused on making games that are worthwhile, have a great sp mode (and lengthy), offered more replay value, and mp (I don't care much for this since I don't game online), then I have no problem paying full price for games. But don't make mp the main focus with a short sp----COD games. I actually prefer new games, since I am extremely picky. But if they keep making crap like Damnation, and selling it at 60 bucks, or putting out broken games like Socom:Confrontation, that need to be patched later (multiple times I may add), then no I don't think they warrant my 60 bucks. I may be tempted to buy used, but most of the time I buy certain games on price cuts.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CwlHeddwyn

[QUOTE="CwlHeddwyn"]

Firebird-5

I don't actually sell my games. although I should would get me a few quid.

besides people sell houses, cars etc no difference here.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

[QUOTE="killab2oo5"]I buy used games (from Ebay mostly). :\ $60 for a 7 hour game just isn't my cup of tea...sorry EA.finesse-gamer

you could argue that if used game stores didn't exist prices would go down.

that does work both ways though.

Or if they made the game worth $60 they may sell more...but I doubt if people would take notice of the lenght. I don't people even bother to look up the length of any given game, to see if it's worth it. I don't think games would go down in price either if the sells of used games were stopped. It's been shown that $60 well games sell...so they'll just keep them at that price for more money. With the elimination of used games sells those full price $60 games would just sell better.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RK-Mara
[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] so you're not allowed to sell something you've purchased?Richymisiak

but you're saying selling something you've purchased is 'even worse' than pirating it

But he never said you can't pirate games :D
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] so you're not allowed to sell something you've purchased?Richymisiak

How observant. But you shouldn't be turning a blind eye to one practice while slapping the wrist of a pirate.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

used game sales aren't as bad because atleast money and the economy is running when it comes to pirating no money is changing hands between the host and the downloaders.

as for that if used game sales were a problem for such a recent game then maybe the game shouldn't have sucked so much people sold the game.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Richymisiak

Firebird-5

How observant. But you shouldn't be turning a blind eye to one practice while slapping the wrist of a pirate.

but that relies on you thinking that selling something you've purchased legally is somehow wrong
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

when i was a poor student if it wasnt for trade in's i wouldnt of been able to be a game i dont think are local EB (when they were in the UK) used to let you return a game within 10 days for a full refund.. for any reason. man is sooooo abused that.

but luckly now i can buy 1 maybe 2 games a month and not have to worry about trading or returning. and as i have alot less gaming time a 6-7 hour game can take weeks to finish if im rotating betwwen a few.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

used game sales aren't as bad because atleast money and the economy is running when it comes to pirating no money is changing hands between the host and the downloaders.

as for that if used game sales were a problem for such a recent game then maybe the game shouldn't have sucked so much people sold the game.

WilliamRLBaker

Wow lol, this happens to many games. Dead Space is also an awesome game.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Espada12

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] but you're saying selling something you've purchased is 'even worse' than pirating itRichymisiak

but that relies on you thinking that selling something you've purchased legally is somehow wrong

There's nothing wrong with it, other than the fact you are gaining money while the dev is not.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] but you're saying selling something you've purchased is 'even worse' than pirating itRichymisiak

It isn't legally wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that developers get no money from it. Which is the same thing as piracy, just legal.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
Its bad for the publishers and devs, but its nowhere near as bad as piracy considering its not illegal.
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CwlHeddwyn

when i was a poor student if it wasnt for trade in's i wouldnt of been able to be a game i dont think are local EB (when they were in the UK) used to let you return a game within 10 days for a full refund.. for any reason. man is sooooo abused that.

but luckly now i can buy 1 maybe 2 games a month and not have to worry about trading or returning. and as i have alot less gaming time a 6-7 hour game can take weeks to finish if im rotating betwwen a few.

doobie1975
EB/GAME changed their returns policy a while back. a buddy of mine used to buy a game, play it & then take it back two days later. their returns policy got abused so bad that they changed it. they were being used like a rental store.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RK-Mara

WilliamRLBaker
Even in piratism money changes hands between advertisers and hosts. Even shady things such as gold farming employs tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. Some gold farms even pay taxes.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ogvampire

Espada12

There's nothing wrong with it, other than the fact you are gaining money while the dev is not.

the exact same thing happens with used cars... yet nobody cries about that

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#33 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I got Dead Space used yesterday. I want the developer to get money, but what do you expect when every store that sells games also buys them.
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Richymisiak

Espada12

so the same can be said for any good people sell once they have no use for it like houses, that could be seen as wrong because the people who built it don't get money each time its sold
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I hate buying used games because I like everything to be in perfect condition. When the game is used I don't know the condition of the game, or the Manual or case. Everything needs to be perfect.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] but that relies on you thinking that selling something you've purchased legally is somehow wrongogvampire

And look at the american car industry now :)

PS3Gamer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PS3Gamer_1
Member since 2008 • 368 Posts

Firebird-5

But you own the game. Your purchase contributed to the developer getting some money back. Pirating games ensures that the developer doesn't see a dime! It is stealing. You buy a brand new car from the dealer, and sell it used later on. Nothing wrong with this, since you purchased the car, the dealer made money, the car manufacturer made money, and you the buyer made money. Now you steal a car.....same as pirating!
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ogvampire

Firebird-5

It isn't legally wrong, but that doesn't change the fact that developers get no money from it. Which is the same thing as piracy, just legal.

so people selling used cars is considered piracy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Used games can be good because it lets consumers pay less for games. Though, it can also be bad because it supports enterprises Gamespot, where no one wins.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

What really needs to change is that Game Retailers that specialize in used games should not be allowed to sell used versions of a game until a set amount of time after it is released.

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

BUT trading in games is not illegal unlike pirating 8)

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] but that relies on you thinking that selling something you've purchased legally is somehow wrongRichymisiak

so the same can be said for any good people sell once they have no use for it like houses, that could be seen as wrong because the people who built it don't get money each time its sold

Normally you pay out of pocket for houses as in, you are in the position the dev is in.. not someone else. But just look at that, there are x2 the amount of users who have played the game rather than bought it. Understand as a dev it must feel the same way as piracy.

CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

What really needs to change is that Game Retailers that specialize in used games should not be allowed to sell used versions of a game until a set amount of time after it is released.

There should be a mandatory 1-2 month hold from a game's initial release before they are allowed to sell a used version.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Espada12

CajunShooter

This is fair.

CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CwlHeddwyn

it's called free market economics.

you buy something- you can sell it on.

works with a car, with a house and video games.

if you couldn't sell your video games on I bet video games sales would plummet. Personally I don't trade my games in, I keep them although I probably should since I've got a lot of games I haven't played in a while.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RK-Mara

BUT trading in games is not illegal unlike pirating 8)

sikanderahmed
Pirating is very legal in many countries.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

And look at the american car industry now :)

lol! the american car industry is in trouble because of the used car industry? thats a new one... did you just make it up?

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#48 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
Like devs didn't buy used games when they were younger. :P Some of them probably still do. How else will you find a priceless Chrono Trigger cartridge that some dumb kid found in his dads cabinet that is being sold for a dollar?
beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts
[QUOTE="CajunShooter"]

There should be a mandatory 1-2 month hold from a game's initial release before they are allowed to sell a used version.

Does anybody buy used versions of a game right after release? I would much rather pay an extra 5 bucks and make sure I'm the first person to play the game, and support the dev at the same time.
Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"] but that relies on you thinking that selling something you've purchased legally is somehow wrongRichymisiak

The automotive industry and others are very different from the games industry. I honestly don't know how you're drawing parallels.

I hope you understand, I'm not trying to argue my viewpoint. I haven't even presented it. I'm simply saying you shouldn't berate pirates when you're doing the exact same thing (pretty much).