Used game sales nearly as bad as piracy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#101 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts
EA, I bought your Mirror's Edge used for 25 dollars, and it wasn't even worth that. So yes, I am very happy you did not get my money, because they should've done a better job out of it. If they did get my money, at least I can say I was part of the reason they came out with a better sequel, if they don't **** up a great concept again.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#102 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

in this case what if somebody would take a look at that house and built one exactly like it, all by themselves (which in your analogy would be what pirating is). In this case I also don't see the contractors pissing and moaning.

AdrianWerner

Just because the analogy doesn't translate into piracy doesn't mean it doesn't hold up for resale. By definition piracy can only occur with intellectual property. Where as resale requires physical product.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
EA, I bought your Mirror's Edge used for 25 dollars, and it wasn't even worth that. So yes, I am very happy you did not get my money, because they should've done a better job out of it. If they did get my money, at least I can say I was part of the reason they came out with a better sequel, if they don't **** up a great concept again.DeathScape666
EA I Got your game through some "free" means, and it wasnt even worth that, im glad i didnt support you. *cough* hypocrit central this thread is, if you renters and used sellers/buyers hate pirates for not supporting the developers... then what right do you have to judge pirates who do the same thing? when you actually profit out of it.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Wrong. The devs have in fact been paid in full for that copy already. They are cryng they aren't getting paid twice for the same copy. If I buy a game and then sell it off, they don't have to provide me online or tech support anymore, because I don't have the game anymore. You're inferring that somehow they have to provide more support than they sell copies and that's simply not true.

santoron

Only if you argue without taking reality into consideration. Games have limited lastin appeal, even if you decide to play one over and over again, you won't do it with majority of your gaming library. Used sales artificaly extend the time dev has to keep supporting the game, the fade out on the need to support it lasts longer because of it.

sikanderahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 sikanderahmed
Member since 2007 • 5444 Posts

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]EA, I bought your Mirror's Edge used for 25 dollars, and it wasn't even worth that. So yes, I am very happy you did not get my money, because they should've done a better job out of it. If they did get my money, at least I can say I was part of the reason they came out with a better sequel, if they don't **** up a great concept again.Birdy09
EA I Got your game through some "free" means, and it wasnt even worth that, im glad i didnt support you. *cough* hypocrit central this thread is, if you renters and used sellers/buyers hate pirates for not supporting the developers... then what right do you have to judge pirates who do the same thing? when you actually profit out of it.

EA pwns, they sent me Battlefield Bad Company for FREE, i got it 1 day before official release :D (i won it 8) )

Avatar image for All_that_is_Man
All_that_is_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 All_that_is_Man
Member since 2008 • 2044 Posts

[QUOTE="All_that_is_Man"]

Heres a guide for you guys

Richymisiak

also this image is win

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lawl a pirate

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]in this case what if somebody would take a look at that house and built one exactly like it, all by themselves (which in your analogy would be what pirating is). In this case I also don't see the contractors pissing and moaning.

cakeorrdeath

Just because the analogy doesn't translate into piracy doesn't mean it doesn't hold up for resale. By definition piracy can only occur with intellectual property. Where as resale requires physical product.

the definition you're using lost it's value the moment DD was introduced. And the analogy still holds true, it just shows that directly transfering rules from one market to another sometimes brings up silly results.

mixmax5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 mixmax5
Member since 2006 • 2347 Posts

It's probably worse in terms of revenue because someone else is profiting other than the companies.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#109 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

[QUOTE="DeathScape666"]EA, I bought your Mirror's Edge used for 25 dollars, and it wasn't even worth that. So yes, I am very happy you did not get my money, because they should've done a better job out of it. If they did get my money, at least I can say I was part of the reason they came out with a better sequel, if they don't **** up a great concept again.Birdy09

That's simple. Every game out there that has ever been resold actually does benefit developers.... because it was originally bought from them in the first place! It just doesn't benefit them again everytime the game changes hands. Piracy never benefits the developer at all.

voxware00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 voxware00
Member since 2004 • 5018 Posts

other than the legal aspect

i don't see much of a difference between the 2nd hand market and piracy

"because it was originally bought from them in the first place! It just doesn't benefit them again everytime the game changes hands. Piracy never benefits the developer at all."

you're missing the logic... there are the pirates who buy the game in order to rip them, it's the same as the person who bought the original game that is now sold used. yes you're getting more people buying the original game in order to resell it, but you can't say piracy has zero dev support.. someone has to be buying it in order to rip it, and there are plenty of different rippers.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

games should have a price drop at least every 6 months... or 3 moths if the game is not selling well. One of the reasons I got Uncharted used was because I didnt want to pay full price for a game that came out in 2007.

GTSaiyanjin2

I know that annoys me so much when games don't drop in price.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#112 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts

For me to buy, sell or rent a game someone has to have bough it. Pirating, one or no copies can supply 100s of thousands of people. There is a huge difference. PLus where do you draw the line? Should I not let me friends borrow a game and tell them to get their own? Should I demand all my friends buy their own consoles and only play online rather than just using one system and game between a group of us? Should I throw out my old console that I dont use anymore for fear that giving it away or selling it will prevent its new owner buying a new game or system?
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#113 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts

[QUOTE="Birdy09"][QUOTE="DeathScape666"]EA, I bought your Mirror's Edge used for 25 dollars, and it wasn't even worth that. So yes, I am very happy you did not get my money, because they should've done a better job out of it. If they did get my money, at least I can say I was part of the reason they came out with a better sequel, if they don't **** up a great concept again.sikanderahmed

EA pwns, they sent me Battlefield Bad Company for FREE, i got it 1 day before official release :D (i won it 8) )

Some people still think EA is evil. I bet they also think Activision is good. :P
samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Yes, because it is not regulated, so you sell it to a company for $5 and the company sells it back to you for $25+ and the developer/manufacturer gets no profit because you have essentially cut out the middle man.

SYdoggXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#115 SYdoggXxX
Member since 2005 • 2013 Posts

I'm simply saying you shouldn't berate pirates when you're doing the exact same thing (pretty much).

Firebird-5
I understand that your reasoning is based on a good cause (giving the developers the money they deserve), but saying that used game sales are worse or equal to piracy is simply ridiculous. Let's take the case presented by RK-Mara. 3 million people played Dead Space but only 1.5 million bought it new. So that's 1.5 million sales where money went to the developer and 1.5 where no money went to the developer. If 3 million people play a pirate copy, NO MONEY AT ALL goes to the developer (perhaps 1 sale does go to the developer, assuming the original pirates bought a copy to distribute it illegally). How on earth is that equal to the used sales scenario? In order for a used sale to occur, a new game had to be bought. Sure, a game could be reselled a dozen times, but you're never gonna have a case were 3 million people play a used copy with only one new copy being originally sold. That CAN happen with piracy. So no matter how much you want to believe it, used game sales are not as bad as piracy. Of course that in an ideal world we'd all buy all of our games brand new (probably 60% of my collection was bought brand new, the rest used), but this ain't an ideal world and we sometimes simply need to pinch pennies.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

other than the legal aspect

i don't see much of a difference between the 2nd hand market and piracy

"because it was originally bought from them in the first place! It just doesn't benefit them again everytime the game changes hands. Piracy never benefits the developer at all."

you're missing the logic... there are the pirates who buy the game in order to rip them, it's the same as the person who bought the original game that is now sold used. yes you're getting more people buying the original game in order to resell it, but you can't say piracy has zero dev support.. someone has to be buying it in order to rip it, and there are plenty of different rippers.

voxware00

Let's put it this way, most companies make a product to sell. Every piece of the product they make is meant to be sold for their benefit and for them to make money. However, once I buy for example, a copy of EA's Deadspace it is no longer EA's, its ActicEdge's Deadspace. I can do whatever I please with this one original uncopied version. I can sell it, smash it, play it etc. A pirate buys a copy and then makes multiple copies, they are not allowed to sell those copies because they purchased 1 "Deadspcae" for their own personal use of that "one" orignal copy. Them creating several copies means they now own more than 1 copy of "Deadspace". They own multiple copies that they are not entitled to own under the law. The game is there's to do what they want with but not to reproduce. That's the difference. Also, if I lend my game to a friend, I can no longer play it, only they can. With piracy anyone can play the game at the same time. There is a difference.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
New IP, people don't wanna spend full bucks on something they're unsure about.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 santoron

voxware00

I understand the thinking... it's simply flawed. If a pirate buys a game and then transmits 1,000 free copies, then 1,000 copis of the game exist that were not paid for. If EBgames sells 1,000 used Halo 3s, then the dev has still received full compensation for every single copy at the time they were first bought. There are no copies of games the devs haven't been compensated for that are being played at any time.

I've said it before and I'll restate it here. All forms of media, and almost every form of property imagineable, has a resale market. In at least the other media markets (Music, Movies, Books) you are dealing with the precise same situation you are dealing with here, and all other forms cooexist peacefully with their used markets. You aren't hearing authors crying about libraries, or used book stores, and it's silly to back the idea here. All forms of media have worked hard to compbat piracy, because they understand it's a seperate entity entitely.

Devs know that when they are selling you a game they are selling you the rights to lend/trade/or resale the game. Just like Books, music, and movies. This isn't a new development in the media industry, and it certainly isn't black market, or illegal. If they wanna cry poor now, try raising prices. If you want more direct sales, try lowering them. But don't cry to me that people do something with their property that is completely legal to do with every other piece of property I own.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts
no its not piracy. i see games as a i see furniture or cars and such like. and like those things, i should be perfectly entiteled to sell it on when i want at what ever price i want and to whoever i want. yes the dev doesent see a penny from the transaction but, frankly, tough snot. its my licence to do with as i see fit. if they want to terminate the licence then they can give me my money back. trading our own things...things we own....is our right. we dont own the game but we own the licence to play the game and we should be free to transfer it. what next? i cant trade my console because the poor people at MS/sony//ninty dont get a sale? should i not be able to sell ym car because ford wotn see the sale? what about my PC? if i sold that then loads of companies would loose a sale..so should i be permitted from selling my PC? publishers are just moaning because companies like gamestop had the idea to do second hand games on a grand scale...and good on em. now they could continue to B***H and moan about it or they could come up with an incentive for people to start trading second hand games with the publishers themselves. heavens knows it would lessen the burden of manufacturing those CDs (and reduce waste in the process). but they wont...instead they will moan and complain and try and get courts to reduce our rights to sell things we own. unlike piracy....where there is little to no opportunity to make money...there is an opportunity to make money on second hand games and companies like gamestop have done very well with it. why the publishers dont try and get into what is a very lucerative market....i dont know. but thats not my problem...its theirs. i will continue to trade and sell my games as i see fit. if they have a problem with it then they can terminate my licence and give me my money back.
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#120 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

I don't think used game sales are as bad as piracy at all. I buy used games and I also sell games on that I've finished with.

Often I'll buy games new at full price and then when I'm done with them I'll sell them on. If I couldn't sell my old games I'd probably buy a lot less new games and not just because I'd have less money to spend on games. Being able to sell old games acts as a safety net. For example when I bought Far Cry 2 I hated it, however luckily I was able to sell it for almost as much as I paid for it, if I hadn't been able to do that I'd become a lot more hesitant about the games I buy and I'd probably buy less new games.

As for buying used games, I usually look to see how much I can get a new copy for and if it's only a couple of quid more than used, I'll go for the new one.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
It's not just rentals and used games. Alot of people have multiple user accounts. I actually know someone that makes a new Live account each month so he can get XBox Live for free...
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
If the games were more reasonable in price i dont think there would be this problem(Not as bad anyways). As it stands nothing is better than taking a few games your done with and trade them in for a new game most of the time around 20 dollars after the trade ins.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#123 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
they have had trade in since the zx spectrum, it's a part of gaming culture, trade in makes gaming accessible to people who don't have that much money, this is nothing like piracy, technically the game shops 'buy' these games back (they offer you funds for your games) and then resell them, which quite frankly isn't piracy at all.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Thing about pirating is, while it certainly has adecent (though stillvery small in comparison to people buyingthese games) amount of people doing it, everybody is buying used games. I'd say it's worse than pirating. The devs or publishers don't see a dime from the sale.

farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts

a lot of people buy games for 60 bucks because they know they can sell it later for lets say 40 dollars

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

If 10-hour games didn't cost $60, maybe I would buy new games for consoles. I'll just stick to the PC and MMO's.

firedonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 firedonut
Member since 2007 • 390 Posts
I've always wondered why the publishers don't come up with some kind of used game solution themselves. I could see a few of the bigger publishers opening their own stores or websites where give bonus incentives for selling their own game back to them (like some kind of points system where you can receive discounts on future purchases). In turn, they can resell their own merchandise for more profit. That is assuming there isn't some kind law that prohibits this kind of practice.
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

Thing about pirating is, while it certainly has a good some amounts of people doing it, everybody is buying used games. I'd say it's worse than pirating. The devs or publishers don't see a dime from the sale.

Puckhog04

except from the many dimes they received when the original owner bought the game

also, not everybody is buying used games

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Thing about pirating is, while it certainly has a good some amounts of people doing it, everybody is buying used games. I'd say it's worse than pirating. The devs or publishers don't see a dime from the sale.

ogvampire

except from the many dimes they received when the original owner bought the game

I'd say the majority of gamers out there are. It's very naive to think otherwise IMO. Especially when you see a game like Uncharted for $40 used at Gamestop and see that the price of a new copy is still $60. :|

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Puckhog04
so your saying the used car market is also worse than piracy, oh and people reselling stuff on EBay is worse than piracy also, the problem with what you are saying is the fact that it applies to ALL reselling, not just the used game market, what you are basically saying is anyone who resells something is worse than a pirate, tell me did you ever buy anything then sell it on?
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Puckhog04

I'd say the majority of gamers out there are. It's very naive to think otherwise IMO. Especially when you see a game like Uncharted for $40 used at Gamestop and see that the price of a new copy is still $60. :|

and there is one of the problems right there.... maybe if these publishers and devs actually lowered the price of 2 year old games, then maybe people wouldnt need to buy the same game used

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts
According to EA's Glen Schofield, Dead Space had twice as many players on PSN and XBL as it did buyers:

But then we also did studies on sort of how many unique users there were on the PSN network and Xbox Live. And realized, you know what, there's over three million people that have played Dead Space. Maybe we've only sold 1.5 millionRK-Mara

Full story on Kotaku.

Nonsense. If I pay $50 for a game I have the right to do whatever I want when I'm done with it. And if someone wants to sell me their game when they're tired of it, that's their right too. If these companies don't want us selling their games, add some replayability so we have a reason to keep going back to them. That way we won't want to get rid of them.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

delta3074

so your saying the used car market is also worse than piracy, oh and people reselling stuff on EBay is worse than piracy also, the problem with what you are saying is the fact that it applies to ALL reselling, not just the used game market, what you are basically saying is anyone who resells something is worse than a pirate, tell me did you ever buy anything then sell it on?

And pirating applies to ALL pirating. Not just games but movies, CD's, etc. So?

No, I never said that. I'm simply comparing the amounts of people buying used games to the amount of people pirating games. Used games have far more people "jumping in" so to speak and rightfully so in most cases like the Uncharted case I talked about (yes, I saw those prices first hand). I never said it was wrong to buy used games but how does a person who's pirating a game differ from someone who is buying it used? The person buying it used is still get a much cheap product and the catch is that none of it goes to the devs or publishers. Same is the case with pirating a game. Fact is, while pirating has a decent amount of people doing it, everyone is buying used games. I never said it was wrong to do but if you're going to damn pirates then you have to look at used game buyers in the same way as they are essentially doing the same thing; buying a game without the devs or publishers getting any share.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

ogvampire

Also, the store that is selling the used game is making money, like a used car lot. It's still putting more money into the economy...
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

and there is one of the problems right there.... maybe if these publishers and devs actually lowered the price of 2 year old games, then maybe people wouldnt need to buy the same game used

But that still doesn't change the fact that the devs or publishers aren't getting a share of the money. One could make the same case for some games that are pirated be it 360 or PC or whatever. Some games may not be worth $50 to that person. So they could justify pirating it. How is pirating it any different then buying it used? The devs still don't see the share in money.

Note - I've been a PC gamer since 1990 and have never pirated a game. In no way am I condoning pirating. :)

Number_1_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Number_1_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1786 Posts

The argument that the devs should get money from used games is stupid.

Should I have given Honda a stipend when I sold my car? After all, they made it.

If you clear all the junk out of your attic or basement and have a garage sale, should whoever made all the old junk you're selling get a percentage of your sales? Better find out who made that old rickety wooden chair that's been collecting dust - they deserve a piece of the $5 you sell it for. That old Monopoly board game that you've had since you were a kid? You better send Mattel $1.50 if you sell it - after all, they made it in the first place. Those old VHS tapes you've had since 1991? Better send Paramount $.25 for each one you sell, because they made the movies to begin with.

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ogvampire

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Puckhog04

But that still doesn't change the fact that the devs or publishers aren't getting a share of the money. One could make the same case for some games that are pirated be it 360 or PC or whatever. Some games may not be worth $50 to that person. So they could justify pirating it. How is pirating it any different then buying it used? The devs still don't see the share in money.

Note - I've been a PC gamer since 1990 and have never pirated a game. In no way am I condoning pirating. :)

but with pirating the devs see absolutely no money...

with used games, the devs got money for every single used game when it was first bought.

either way, the consumer paid for the game, they get to sell it or give it away or do whatever they want with it (except making copies and selling those copies)

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Never buy used unless its Activision.
Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
It's not just rentals and used games. Alot of people have multiple user accounts. I actually know someone that makes a new Live account each month so he can get XBox Live for free...-GeordiLaForge-
You know wrong. You only get free Live gold for the first 3 accounts.
cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

I think that a lot of people here think that it is wrong for the wrong reasons, it seems like people think it's wrong based on the fact that it is illegal(which is right) but they are totally overlooking the fact that when someone buys a used game or gets a lend of it from a friend it is essentially the same as downloading it. Someone probably bought the copy that you downloaded.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

I rented Dead Space and beat it two times. If I would have bought that game I would be mad.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

It's not just rentals and used games. Alot of people have multiple user accounts. I actually know someone that makes a new Live account each month so he can get XBox Live for free...-GeordiLaForge-

Yeah I know somebody that does that too

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

with used games, the devs got money for every single used game when it was first bought.

either way, the consumer paid for the game, they get to sell it or give it away or do whatever they want with it (except making copies and selling those copies)

But then you look at different people pirating. I have a friend who pirated Street Fighter 4 on PC simply to get an early start on the game (for online obviously) and actually has it pre-purchased on PC. So, either way, he would count as a pirate, yet he is actually getting the game. No, he doesn't usually pirate games but, the ones he does, he ends up buying anyway soon after. So, how is that any different? Their still getting the money for the game but he "pirated" it. Granted, not all do this, but then again, the number of people buying used games far outweigh the amount of people that pirate games.

Again, just as a "disclaimer", I don't condone pirating. Never have I done it. I have alot of PC gamer buddies and he's the only one that does this for certain games. Usually games that require a good amount of skill, Battlefield 2 for instance, he pirated it then bought it. Everyone else i know just buys retail/Steam/D2D.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Plus you canhave a loan of a pals game if you want.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 santoron

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Puckhog04

But they are getting a share of the money... they get paid first! They have no business wondering what happens to a copy of their game once they have been paid in full for it. This isn't a case where they are asking to be compensated for their work, like in piracy. This is the devs wanting to paid multiple times for their work. And no other form of media has ever made a legitimate arguement against reselling a fully paid for product. It's poorly conceived and doomed to fail.

Jono789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Jono789
Member since 2009 • 2118 Posts

Theres only one thing to help us repent this unbelievable act of cruelty on publishers MASS SUICIDE only then we will not doomthe world!! bybuying a second hand game

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

santoron

But they are getting a share of the money... they get paid first! They have no business wondering what happens to a copy of their game once they have been paid in full for it. This isn't a case where they are asking to be compensated for their work, like in piracy. This is the devs wanting to paid multiple times for their work. And no other form of media has ever made a legitimate arguement against reselling a fully paid for product. It's poorly conceived and doomed to fail.

See my response to OGVampire. :|

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Puckhog04

But then you look at different people pirating. I have a friend who pirated Street Fighter 4 on PC simply to get an early start on the game (for online obviously) and actually has it pre-purchased on PC. So, either way, he would count as a pirate, yet he is actually getting the game. No, he doesn't usually pirate games but, the ones he does, he ends up buying anyway soon after. So, how is that any different? Their still getting the money for the game but he "pirated" it.Granted, not all do this, but then again, the number of people buying used games far outweigh the amount of people that pirate games.

Again, just as a "disclaimer", I don't condone pirating. Never have I done it. I have alot of PC gamer buddies and he's the only one that does this for certain games. Usually games that require a good amount of skill, Battlefield 2 for instance, pirated it then bought it. Everyone else i know just buys retail/Steam/D2D.

I actually buy alot of the games i pirate, i look at them more like extended demo's, i enjoy it, i buy it, i spent $60 on enough games because i liked the demo then dried after i got into it more. If this was like the movies where i sink 10 bucks into something i don't really enjoy I can at least walk out and not care or try to fondle the girl sitting next to me in the theater, but sinking $60 into a game and not enjoying it isn't worth it, I was liking vavle's episodic content, since it was nice and cheap and if i didn't like it i i know i didn't sink that much into it.
CPM_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 CPM_basic
Member since 2002 • 4247 Posts

I hate when devs cry about used game sales. When we buy your product we can do what we want with it. If you want to compete with used game sales drop the price of your old games. Some titles stay at such rediculous high prices when they are so old.

waqyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 waqyum
Member since 2009 • 184 Posts

So, then what to do with the game after finishing it?