(Un)official (maybe sorta) Revote of Using GS Scores in SW (Sticky?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#401 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Gamerankings. Don't use metacritic it's a cnet website. btw jeff rules and Cnet/Eidos are evil.heydanbud927

Wow why create a new account to post this? and isn't gamerankings run by CNET too?

joker730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 joker730
Member since 2007 • 1561 Posts
Gamerankings FTW, GS lost all their credibility
fistoflight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#404 fistoflight
Member since 2005 • 7943 Posts
GS is worthless now as a review site its more of a community stie for chatting now I should say go with game rankings. Game trailers does a fine job of reviewing games too. A hella lot better and more equal than here.
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#405 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

Clearly, you do not understand reason like the typical gs fanboy, and you should run off because you are not gonna change the minds of the overwhelming majority that understands the benefit of a site like gamerankings. Argue all you want, but your wrong....

I am also going to take a wild guess, and say that you are a republican, rofl...

Vyse_The_Daring

Here's some reason for you:

1) You can't prove that the other sites aren't biased. He's right, you can't show that advertising money doesn't have an impact on the reviews at other sites.

2) OPM, OXM, etc are all used at Gamerankings. Why should magazines who only review games from one console have the same weight as other reviewers?

3) Not all websites/magazines use the same system. If a single point is taken off at Gamespy, it's equal to twice as much deducted from IGN.

4) Outliers greatly change the scores on gamerankings. So for a game like Halo 3 where everyone and their dog reviews it, some Christian website might give it a 2.0 because of the violence and BAM, Halo 3 would then be rated lower than a lot of other games who weren't reviewed by that source.

5) Drawing from #4, not all games have the same number of reviews. So if two games receive a review of 2.0, but one has 19 others and one has 99 others, the 2.0 won't impact the 99 review game as much.

There are probably other points I missed, go back through the thread and read them if you need more proof. Gamerankings isn't a real alternative, it's just the one that everyone thinks of first.

1) Some sites are biased positively and others negatively toward certain games. So it makes an average between them.

2) I remember OPM, for example, giving bad or average scores to many big PS3 titles, and read point1)

3) Websites rate games like they want. They'll give them the score that seems the most appropriate for them, and read point1)

4) These minor reviewers don't count for much at GR, and read point1)

5) Every hyped titles will get alot of reviews.

Sorry but you can't win this. Logic tells us to use GR. And HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT GS ISN'T BIASED? It's alot safer with GR where bisaed reviews will have a minimal impact on the final score.

-Beowulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406 -Beowulf
Member since 2006 • 1801 Posts
I haven't used their scores for a long time now, and the whole Jeff thing just reinforces that.
heydanbud927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407 heydanbud927
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="heydanbud927"]Gamerankings. Don't use metacritic it's a cnet website. btw jeff rules and Cnet/Eidos are evil.blue_hazy_basic

Wow why create a new account to post this? and isn't gamerankings run by CNET too?

no it's not. they are affiliates though, that is better than being owned by cnet i guess. and i came here to do something... you'lle see.

i'll do it on the eidos board too when it's unlocked. i'll make sure it goes into the kiddy games forums too so all the kiddies get to see it.

ganon546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 ganon546
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I'd go with GameRankings.
Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#409 Dr_DudeMan
Member since 2006 • 2794 Posts
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

I'm glad this is unofficial. I'd leave here if we changed to Gamerankings.

By all means use them to base your puchases on, if you are pleased with the scores that fanboy mags and mags that have no right reviewing games, give a certain game, but do not base whether a game is AAA of AA on gameranking scores, we'll be at it on one game for weeks.

"it's AAA, ha ha, in your face"

"Oh no, it's AA, it's now a flop"

"Yes, but it was AAA for 2 weeks and look who scored it low, they don't count"

etc etc

Gamespot only folks, don't change it.

heydanbud927

please explain to me how averaging 50 - 60 reviews is less accurate than 1 single persons opinion. sure there are fanboy mags who score games too high, but there are also reviews that are too low. they cancel eachother out numbnuts.

anyone who says gamespot is a supporter of evil corporations like eidos and Cnet.

Its okay, people like SgtWhiskeyjack and blue hazy basic just wont understand...

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#410 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts
[QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

By all means use them to base your puchases on, if you are pleased with the scores that fanboy mags and mags that have no right reviewing games, give a certain game, but do not base whether a game is AAA of AA on gameranking scores, we'll be at it on one game for weeks.

etc etc

heydanbud927

please explain to me how averaging 50 - 60 reviews is less accurate than 1 single persons opinion. sure there are fanboy mags who score games too high, but there are also reviews that are too low. they cancel eachother out numbnuts.

anyone who says gamespot is a supporter of evil corporations like eidos and Cnet.

1. Zelda OOT 31 reviews - 3. Metroid Prime 3, 92 reviews. Which is the better game?

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"][QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"]

Clearly, you do not understand reason like the typical gs fanboy, and you should run off because you are not gonna change the minds of the overwhelming majority that understands the benefit of a site like gamerankings. Argue all you want, but your wrong....

I am also going to take a wild guess, and say that you are a republican, rofl...

Timesplitter14

Here's some reason for you:

1) You can't prove that the other sites aren't biased. He's right, you can't show that advertising money doesn't have an impact on the reviews at other sites.

2) OPM, OXM, etc are all used at Gamerankings. Why should magazines who only review games from one console have the same weight as other reviewers?

3) Not all websites/magazines use the same system. If a single point is taken off at Gamespy, it's equal to twice as much deducted from IGN.

4) Outliers greatly change the scores on gamerankings. So for a game like Halo 3 where everyone and their dog reviews it, some Christian website might give it a 2.0 because of the violence and BAM, Halo 3 would then be rated lower than a lot of other games who weren't reviewed by that source.

5) Drawing from #4, not all games have the same number of reviews. So if two games receive a review of 2.0, but one has 19 others and one has 99 others, the 2.0 won't impact the 99 review game as much.

There are probably other points I missed, go back through the thread and read them if you need more proof. Gamerankings isn't a real alternative, it's just the one that everyone thinks of first.

1) Some sites are biased positively and others negatively toward certain games. So it makes an average between them.

2) I remember OPM, for example, giving bad or average scores to many big PS3 titles, and read point1)

3) Websites rate games like they want. They'll give them the score that seems the most appropriate for them, and read point1)

Sorry but you can't win this. Logic tells us to use GR. And HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT GS ISN'T BIASED? It's alot safer with GR where bisaed reviews will have a minimal impact on the final score.

I am glad that the number of people with reason outnumber the unreasonable for a change. And awesome sig btw.

SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="heydanbud927"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

etc etc

SgtWhiskeyjack

1. Zelda OOT 31 reviews - 3. Metroid Prime, 92 reviews. Which is the better game?

Additionally Metroid Prime has 34 reviews at 100%

greenwallly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#413 greenwallly
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts
System Wars is broken
Timesplitter14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 Timesplitter14
Member since 2006 • 5934 Posts

System Wars is brokengreenwallly

It can be fixed

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#415 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
This thread must have been created by a Cow. I've always used Gamerankings personally because it averages over 20+ reviews to get a more definitive and accurate score. I never use Gamespot's scores when decided if a game is worthy or not. It seems like 1/2 of their reviews are on the money and the other half is way off from what other gamejournalist think.
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 SgtWhiskeyjack
[QUOTE="heydanbud927"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

etc etc

Dr_DudeMan

Its okay, people like SgtWhiskeyjack and blue hazy basic just wont understand...

I understand fine. And as I quite clearly stated, base your purchases on more than one review sites opinion.

SW's however would just be an absolute nightmare if we based if a game flopped or not, was AAA or not, on what the average is on Gamerankings.

Just think about it for a minute before you judge me. First score in, AAAA, second score in A, third in AA, what would the posts and new thread upon new thread be like?

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#417 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

I'm still with GS scores on this one.DaysAirlines

Same, I'm still with GS

Dr_DudeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 Dr_DudeMan
[QUOTE="Dr_DudeMan"][QUOTE="heydanbud927"][QUOTE="SgtWhiskeyjack"]

etc etc

SgtWhiskeyjack

I understand fine. And as I quite clearly stated, base your purchases on more than one review sites opinion.

SW's however would just be an absolute nightmare if we based if a game flopped or not, was AAA or not, on what the average is on Gamerankings.

Just think about it for a minute before you judge me. First score in, AAAA, second score in A, third in AA, what would the posts and new thread upon new thread be like?

Well the gamerankings standard before ranking a game is 20 reviews, and then once the 20 review mark hits, there isnt much more score variation after that.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts

1)biased positively and others negatively toward certain games. So it makes an average between them.

Timesplitter14

To give an example, neither of the two reviewers who scored Halo 3 in the 70s have reviewed Mario Galaxy, how is that fair? How do you know those sites aren't a bunch of hard asses looking to make a name for their site by rating Halo 3 low?

There are 11 sources with the word "xbox" on Halo 3's review list, but only 2 with the word "playstation" on Uncharted's list, hardly seems fair. Where is the balance you talked about? Where are the biased PS magazines coming in to balance out the score?

If it takes a lot of reviews to balance out the scores, thenonly hype titles will receive very high scores, and some great hypeless games will be shafted by a single review.

I don't know GS isn't biased, sowhy throw it in with the GR score? I don't know that IGN, Gamespy andplenty of other reviewers aren't biased, a whole bunch of wrongs won't make itright. Logic tells you to come up with a new system, but nobody here is thinking logically. You are looking for a quick fix to this problem. Don't believe me? Why didn't GR win in the other polls? Because it's not the right system, and people are only voting for it now because they haven't considered other possibilities.

Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts

GS in pandemonium. It's like the whole world is imploding. I feel so confused (not that anyone isn't)

I guess I'll have to use my gut and say GR. Personally, I like GS as a friend, but not that much.

darkodonnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422 darkodonnie
Member since 2007 • 2384 Posts

We should just vote on the top 4 or 5 sites and use an average of them to determine the score

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

We should just vote on the top 4 or 5 sites and use an average of them to determine the score

darkodonnie

We should do away with it altogether.

GameRankings is not the answer, replacing one corrupt score with another will get us no where.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

A lot of votes in this poll. I guess there must be a lot of people who read this site but never post. Crying shame folks come on and post!

My fantastic idea of averaging IGN, Gamespot, and Eurogamer scores has yet to be equalled. They all use the 10 scale and they are all reputable sites with the occasional controversy which can be mitigated by taking the average.

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

if your on GS than use GS scores

if you want to use GR than go to that web site

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#426 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

GS in pandemonium. It's like the whole world is imploding. I feel so confused (not that anyone isn't)

I guess I'll have to use my gut and say GR. Personally, I like GS as a friend, but not that much.

TalesofRaGnArOk

Nope. Just the Gamespot world.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

A lot of votes in this poll. I guess there must be a lot of people who read this site but never post. Crying shame folks come on and post!

My fantastic idea of averaging IGN, Gamespot, and Eurogamer scores has yet to be equalled. They all use the 10 scale and they are all reputable sites with the occasional controversy which can be mitigated by taking the average.

JiveT

i like that idea but there are some flaws... Like, who is seriously going to compile that for EVERY game? also, both IGN and Eurogamer have different review teams for each platform with different review standards. causes some skewing of scores but not a lot... It is viable if you can overcome the obvious hurdles.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Okay, after thinking about it, Gamespot scores should still be used since this is Gamespot and just because Jeff is gone doesn't mean the otherreviewers aregoing to be biased and payed off. Everyone is assuming when they should wait for GS's reviews and compare to other reviews, trying to find any bias.

Unless we seebias in any reviewer's review,GS's scores should still be used.

-D3MO-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#429 -D3MO-
Member since 2007 • 2622 Posts
u do realize that GameSpot, MetaCritic and GAMERANKINGS are all OWNED by CNET?
azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#430 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
probably gamerankings from now on
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts
u do realize that GameSpot, MetaCritic and GAMERANKINGS are all OWNED by CNET?-D3MO-
Which is why I said not to use any of them.
Blackification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 Blackification
Member since 2006 • 1275 Posts
Gametrailers imo.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts
I still say Gametrailers > Gamerankings. GR is inconsistant and uses alot of fanboy sites. GT always seems to be right on the mark with their reviews...and theyre glorious HD =]
ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#434 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

[QUOTE="-D3MO-"]u do realize that GameSpot, MetaCritic and GAMERANKINGS are all OWNED by CNET?BreakingPoint8

Still... it just averages all the review sites together. The only way to be biased is if they purposefully left some sites out, which I doubt they would do. And, my reasoning choosing Metacritic over Game Rankings is that A) Metacritic is usually much faster at adding reviews than GameRankings, and B) Metacritic offers summaries of the reviews, something that is very helpful if you don't want to click on every single review site to get their general opinion of the game.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#435 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

We can't use any site but Gamespot for determaning AAA, AA, A, and flop status.

If we were on a neutral website we could, but we are on Gamespot. Therefore we use Gamespots reviews.

iamanehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#436 iamanehero
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

[QUOTE="BreakingPoint8"][QUOTE="-D3MO-"]u do realize that GameSpot, MetaCritic and GAMERANKINGS are all OWNED by CNET?ParkCarsHere

Still... it just averages all the review sites together. The only way to be biased is if they purposefully left some sites out, which I doubt they would do. And, my reasoning choosing Metacritic over Game Rankings is that A) Metacritic is usually much faster at adding reviews than GameRankings, and B) Metacritic offers summaries of the reviews, something that is very helpful if you don't want to click on every single review site to get their general opinion of the game.

Exactly. Review sites may be biased but when you take 20-30 reviews it becomes a wash.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

GS is going down......the few minority of you who are still on board with GS reviews, get used to a new climate here in SW...the numbers are speaking for themselves at the top of the page.

And guess what....this time I can say...if you don't like it you can go :P

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#438 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Yep, that's what I was thinking, let's do it that way
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#439 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts
The Public has spoken.. almost 60% are for gamerankings being the new system wars rankings
Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#440 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts
This is GameSpot's System Wars. Use gamespot scores and STOP COMPLAINING.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#441 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

This is GameSpot's System Wars. Use gamespot scores and STOP COMPLAINING.Spartan8907

Even though gamespot takes money for reviews.. riiiiiight

Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts

The Public has spoken.. almost 60% are for gamerankings being the new system wars rankingskozzy1234

Metacritic and Gamerankings are almost the same thing so it's more like 70%.

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
Gamerankings widening the gap just proves that nobody has considered the cons, which have been listed in this thread, before voting.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#444 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

I say either Gametrailers or Ign. They have the best reviews IMO.

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#446 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?hamidious

No, this thread is still very unofficial.

And to others saying we should use a single site like GT ir IGN, it's not a good idea. If we want to go by one sole site it's going to have to be GS. How silly will it look to SW noobs when they see we're using IGN on GS. I like the idea of averaging 4 or 5 sites like GT, IGN, Eurogamer, and GS.
coltss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 coltss
Member since 2006 • 450 Posts
i guess it is official alot of ppl voted and more than half selected game rankings i dont think GS can come back and take over
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#448 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
i guess it is official alot of ppl voted and more than half selected game rankings i dont think GS can come back and take overcoltss

Nope its unofficial until it is mod approved imo. This isn't something that just changes. We voted months ago to use GS scores and people still try to use GR scores for ownage.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

[QUOTE="hamidious"]Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?Tiefster

No, this thread is still very unofficial.

And to others saying we should use a single site like GT ir IGN, it's not a good idea. If we want to go by one sole site it's going to have to be GS. How silly will it look to SW noobs when they see we're using IGN on GS. I like the idea of averaging 4 or 5 sites like GT, IGN, Eurogamer, and GS.

It's getting up there (for SW) - 668 votes

Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts

Gamespot is dead

I here by say we should use Gamerankings now

and yall all seem to agree looking at the poll