(Un)official (maybe sorta) Revote of Using GS Scores in SW (Sticky?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="EntwineX"]

What makes people think that a bunch of smaller sites is any more credible than a big site like GS? For e.g Assassin's Creed's score in GR dropped from 98% to 80 something after the embargo on the reviews was lifted...

How'bout not using scores at all? Instead we could actually discuss about the games and their strong and weak areas instead of just referring to someone elses opinion.

Dreams-Visions

Sounds like the best way to me.

Because strengths and weaknesses are not universal.

Scoring is a common denominator throughtout YOUR LIFE. Since when does gaming become exempt? Let me give you some more perspective (since you both seem to need quite a bit of it):

1.) Your homework is SCORED.

2.) Your SAT exams will be SCORED.

3.) Your ACT exams will be SCORED.

4.) Your future college will take all of what you've done in school (academics, extra-curriculars) and your application and assign a SCORE to it...if you're within a certain SCORE RANGE, you'll automatically get into the final possible pool of applicants or automatically get in.

5.) Your college work will be SCORED.

6.) Your college GPA is a SCORE.

7.) When you get your first job, the human resources department will assign a SCORE to you, based on your various qualities and quantities.

8.) When you get ready to buy your first car/house/condo/big-ticket-item, people will look at your credit SCORE. They will determine what your interest rates should be based on that FICO SCORE.

Do you need more examples?

How about the gaming industry, movie industry, sports and entertainment in general ALL run, in essence, on SCORE.

Or perhaps you also feel the New England Patriots and NY Giants can settle their differences by discussing the matter? Talking about their pros and cons and coming to a general conclusion?

No, sir, life is about scores. it's how you tell the difference between a C and a C-. Yes, both are C's, but there is a difference.

Suggesting we should do away with scoring is poorly considered at best.

Why are you taking this all so seriously? It was just an idea. No need to get all your guns out. :?

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#552 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

[QUOTE="prodiqy32"]this needs to be a sticky thread.skektek
Agreed. But the mods will never do it, you have to remember that they work for GameSpot, not us.

The mods do no work for anyone, mods don't get any money.

Also these votes are pointless because this is not a democracy, your voice means nothing.

SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#553 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

The minute I found out a TONY HAWKS GAME got a 10, I stopped trusting GS.

Along with reviewsLegend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Ratchet & Clank, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime 3 and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, its clear the site had no credibility since Greg K left anyway.

Most of the old reviewers are gone and reviews only seem to take up a single page now. Its been months since I remember reading a review that stretched out to three pages.

Quofan

This is Gamespot's System Wars. We should use GAMESPOT.

Besides, this is half the fun with these different coming every game.

PS. I'm actually glad that Jeff got fired. He gave THPS3 a 10 after giving OoT a 10. That's an insult to a great game.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#554 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Look, the bottom line (as it was said in the earliest days of this threads inception so long ago) is that this is an unofficial thread. Its results are a function of people being emotional at the time it was created and people not necessarily thinking it through because they didn't have to (it was unofficial, after all). This thread is, at best, a snapshot into the temporary discontent and disdain felt in the early days of Jeff's firing.

Pointing to this thread as if it were the official and accepted change in SW (because some of you have been citing this thread in other threads as your proof that SW now goes by GameRankings.com) when it is obviously not, nor was it ever meant to be is an exercise in silliness.

That is all that needs to be said about this thread.

Want an official challenge to the status-quo? Go through the official channels. Get a real vote and go for real change.

But let this thread die.

/Visions

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#555 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="EntwineX"]

What makes people think that a bunch of smaller sites is any more credible than a big site like GS? For e.g Assassin's Creed's score in GR dropped from 98% to 80 something after the embargo on the reviews was lifted...

How'bout not using scores at all? Instead we could actually discuss about the games and their strong and weak areas instead of just referring to someone elses opinion.

Dreams-Visions

Scoring is a common denominator throughtout YOUR LIFE. Since when does gaming become exempt? Let me give you some more perspective (since you both seem to need quite a bit of it):

4.) Your future college will take all of what you've done in school (academics, extra-curriculars) and your application and assign a SCORE to it...if you're within a certain SCORE RANGE, you'll automatically get into the final possible pool of applicants or automatically get in.

7.) When you get your first job, the human resources department will assign a SCORE to you, based on your various qualities and quantities.

8.) When you get ready to buy your first car/house/condo/big-ticket-item, people will look at your credit SCORE. They will determine what your interest rates should be based on that FICO SCORE.

How about the gaming industry, movie industry, sports and entertainment in general ALL run, in essence, on SCORE.

Or perhaps you also feel the New England Patriots and NY Giants can settle their differences by discussing the matter? Talking about their pros and cons and coming to a general conclusion?

No, sir, life is about scores. it's how you tell the difference between a C and a C-. Yes, both are C's, but there is a difference.

:lol: "Life is about scores" ..Oh my... :lol:
Sk8nNotH8n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#556 Sk8nNotH8n
Member since 2006 • 1519 Posts
[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="Hexagon_777"][QUOTE="EntwineX"]

Hexagon_777

Why are you taking this all so seriously? It was just an idea. No need to get all your guns out. :?

Those are all interesting and good reasons. They weren't exactly relevent to games, but it was a good read.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Why was this bumped? I'm sure this has already been posted but simple logic dictates that there is no viable alternative to using GS scores:

Gamerankings/Metacritic- There are a number of flaws with these two sites. First and foremost, it includes the same bias and influence we would be trying to escape. Not just sites like GS where there have been a couple of questionable reviews, but true fanboy sites that could very well be run by publishers/manufacturers. Also we would have to deal with constantly changing reviews, especially with borderline AAA titles like Uncharted.

Other alternatives- First off GS administration wouldn't allow their forum to completely disregard their scores and use a competitors. Also considering GS was one of, if not the most trusted review site, I don't see why we would suddenly decide other sources that are just as likely to be corrupted are clean. But just for the sake of arguement lets look at the popular choices:

IGN- Not a viable alternative because of their organisational structure. Unlike GS where there is one pool of editors, IGN breaks their staff up into teams, with each team responsible for covering one platform. The problem with this is it creates a major conflict of interest; the editors jobs are directly linked to the success of the product they're reviewing. If a manufacturer kills of a platform, the team covering that platform (except for possibly the higher-ranking editors) are out of a job. This gives the editors the incentive to inflate the scores of games they're reviewing, which could be used to explain the generally higher scores at IGN (compared to GS).

Gametrailers- This one's fairly straight foreward. GT is a subsidary of MTV, who is now in the publishing business, which is a direct conflict of interest. The editors are literally getting their paychecks from a publisher. Its like if Eidos owned GS.

EGM/1Up- While EGM/1Up doesn't have any conflicts of interests (at least not that I know of) they do have two things going against them. The first is they're currently banned from covering a number of publishers, namely Ubisoft, Sony Sports and the Mortal Kombat team. This shouldn't be an issue down the road, but Ubi has some fairly significant releases due over the next couple of months like Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and Splintercell: Conviction. Also we could potentially see some biased scores after the ban is lifted, even if its subconscious. I know I wouldn't be doing Ubi any favours if they had banned me from covering their products.

There is also the issue of some fairly questionable reviews on EGM/1Ups part. Now I'm not saying they're biased or influenced or anything like that, but they have written some very questionable reviews, namely of games like Assassin's Creed and Crysis, where they scored the games well below average. This wouldn't be that big of an issue, except EGM/1Up has a bit of a reputation for writing controversial reviews in order to increase the number of viewers.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#558 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts
Using Gamerankings and/or Metacritic is completely retarded.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 Hexagon_777

Is "Only GameSpot scores count!" some unwritten rule? I just checked through the Terms of Use, the System Wars Rules thread and the System Wars Welcome and Information thread and couldn't find a single sentence saying that only GameSpot counts. One would think it would be in at least one of those threads.

:?

wingman3030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 wingman3030
Member since 2004 • 936 Posts

Is "Only GameSpot scores count!" some unwritten rule? I just checked through the Terms of Use, the System Wars Rules thread and the System Wars Welcome and Information thread and couldn't find a single sentence saying that only GameSpot counts. One would think it would be in at least one of those threads.

Hexagon_777

Its funny to know that the peolple saying it the most right now are sheep....:lol:.

"I live in the real world and GS isnt the only review site" after NMH "This is SWs and we only use GS"

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#561 Hexagon_777
[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

wingman3030

Its funny to know that the peolple saying it the most right now are sheep....:lol:.

"I live in the real world and GS isnt the only review site" after NMH "This is SWs and we only use GS"

Huh? I'm a sheep? :?

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#562 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts
[QUOTE="MunkeySpunk69"]

[QUOTE="Chutebox"]Who is the ones who decided in the first place to only use GS scores on these forums?Hexagon_777

maybe the one that put a forum HERE and not on GR

Whoever it was, they just got owned by democracy.

Nice ;)