(Un)official (maybe sorta) Revote of Using GS Scores in SW (Sticky?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#451 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="Tiefster"][QUOTE="hamidious"]Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?MikeE21286

No, this thread is still very unofficial.

And to others saying we should use a single site like GT ir IGN, it's not a good idea. If we want to go by one sole site it's going to have to be GS. How silly will it look to SW noobs when they see we're using IGN on GS. I like the idea of averaging 4 or 5 sites like GT, IGN, Eurogamer, and GS.

It's getting up there (for SW) - 668 votes

I didn't think it would get this big to be honest with you and when I came home from class and saw it was still active I was shocked and to see it still active now I'm shocked. Anyways, this is getting up there and the most popular thread I've ever made.
-CMG-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#452 -CMG-
Member since 2002 • 4804 Posts

You can't use Gamespots scores anymore. If they were willing to terminate Jeff over this its because they intend to change things around here. Why would any of us even bother to come here anymore anyway. I am about to get banned because of another post I made here after over 4000 posts and years of coming here but this is it. GameSpot has no credibility - clearly the new management aims to soften up reviews for major advertisers and they were willing to fire the staff for this.

Its a simple thing. Why would anyone ever trust this site again???

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#453 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

[QUOTE="Tiefster"][QUOTE="hamidious"]Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?Tiefster

And to others saying we should use a single site like GT ir IGN, it's not a good idea. If we want to go by one sole site it's going to have to be GS. How silly will it look to SW noobs when they see we're using IGN on GS. I like the idea of averaging 4 or 5 sites like GT, IGN, Eurogamer, and GS.

I didn't think it would get this big to be honest with you and when I came home from ****and saw it was still active I was shocked and to see it still active now I'm shocked. Anyways, this is getting up there and the most popular thread I've ever made.

well congratz :D popular threads always feel good.....I think this will eventually turn into the "official" one

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454 Tiefster
[QUOTE="Tiefster"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

[QUOTE="Tiefster"][QUOTE="hamidious"]Can we officially say we'll be using Gamerankings from now on?MikeE21286

I didn't think it would get this big to be honest with you and when I came home from ****and saw it was still active I was shocked and to see it still active now I'm shocked. Anyways, this is getting up there and the most popular thread I've ever made.

well congratz :D popular threads always feel good.....I think this will eventually turn into the "official" one

I hope, I think its almost one day old.
Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#456 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

This is the only realistic place I can post these thoughts, and they pertain, so here goes:

The recent events have called into question all futher reviews at Gamespot and as a result system wars. While the details are still left to be sifted throught, what we know is that a certainexplaination of the event has been anonymously reported, and subsequetly reported all over the gaming internet community. Up to the time of this writing CNet has given no reply to the accusations other than the usual spin. Similarly, we have hear nothing from the people intimately involved in the affair, namely the emplyees. While I know that they are restricted by their employer to not saying anything, it is funny that now conflicting accounts, now "HECK NO!"s are coming to us, at the very least annonymously. Here their livlihood is floundering and all we have heard is, "yea, it stinks, it's sad, we understand, but please don't forget us." While I understand and agree, for there at manyemployed bythis site that are in no way involved in this affair, it does not take away from the issue at hand.

The integrity of future reviews at Gamespot is called into question because, unless Cnet, Gamespot, and all parties involved can give an adequate account for the rumors and recent events, we the gamers must take into account the quite likely possibility that the review and scores are affected by how much money Gamespot receives to advertise. While I don't suppose to question the integrity of any of the reviewers at this site, the fact is that if they actually believe that they could get sacked for giving the wrong game a bad score, then they may have to weigh the livelihood of their families against a couple of review points. It may never happen, but we have to believe, unless shown otherwise, that it is a concern for the reviewer. Personally, if I lived in San Francisco and had a couple of kids, it may be hard not to swing a game a positive review. Heck their only video games, and it'll only help the industry by getting more games sold.

However, this doesn't help us the gamers. Thus, while I wait for a decent explaination to come from the companies involved, as things stand, we must find a new standard for system wars reviews. I haven't decided which, so I haven't voted, and if it turns out that the rumors were just that, so much the better. Yet as we continue to wait, things look bleaker for Gamespot.

Heck, even systemwars.com is talking about voting for a new review standard.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457 Tiefster

Heck, even systemwars.com is talking about voting for a new review standard.

Insane00

SW.com and SW2.com have been using GS scores for a while. This wouldn't be as bad if someone didn't get fired over it but then again these events would never have been brought to light. One great reviewer had to go down for SW reform, how sad. :lol: :|
Kiuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458 Kiuk
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts
Anything but gamespot that is
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#459 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
I've been with Gamerankings for the past year, so my votes pretty obvious. However, Metacritic would be good too... anywhere that uses averages.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#460 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I say either Gametrailers or Ign. They have the best reviews IMO.

Wanderer5

Then go to the IGN fourms and post there...

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461 Tiefster
[QUOTE="Wanderer5"]

Wasdie

Then go to the IGN fourms and post there...

Exactly my feelings, we cannot use another site like IGN or GT solely.
puissance000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462 puissance000
Member since 2003 • 1484 Posts
Gamerankings.com however, like a couple of guys said, user score might be the better way to go!
Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#463 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I wonder if those voting for GR or MC would aprove of cutting the obviously Biased reviewers from the Average.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#464 Tiefster
I wonder if those voting for GR or MC would aprove of cutting the obviously Biased reviewers from the Average.Jynxzor

Yes, it was mentioned many times that these sites can factor in any fansite if they want to. This means a site for console x that gives 10's to all the games can get factored into the score.
beat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#465 beat89
Member since 2004 • 870 Posts
I'm with Gamerankings on this one. Gamespot's credbility has been drawn into question, andthat compromises the whole ridiculous meta that is system wars. Gamerankings will at least be more objective by nature of common denominator.
sonic_rusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#466 sonic_rusher
Member since 2007 • 2185 Posts
ign ign
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

I'm still with GS scores on this one.DaysAirlines

Of Course You would. You favor the X360 as do the scores they get here.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468 Blinblingthing

I wonder if those voting for GR or MC would aprove of cutting the obviously Biased reviewers from the Average.Jynxzor

Those reviews carry their share of Under rating games and some over rating games. The Average will best reflect the quality of the game.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469 Blinblingthing

Wanderer5

I love the IGN scores. I personally look trailers, Gameplay Vid etc etc and personally I have a score in my head, Now when IGn give there score it pretty much what I was thinking.

When they rated AC 7.7 and 7.5 While mostly all other were high AA low AAA they justified it with explaing the framerate issues and with the foundation of the gameplay being weak with the rythm based fight scenes

I do however think GR is best since. It give us like 40 other scores. I just look at the average, Then I'd look at the average between the other major gaming sites and then I know if a game is worth a damn

Just like the old saying a 1000 french men can't be wrong.

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#470 BreakingPoint8
Member since 2007 • 3347 Posts

The Game Spot standard in System Wars should be done away with, and replaced with N O T H I N G.

As far as I'm concerned a bunch of tainted reviews averaged together is no better than one tainted review.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts
So the poor pathetic cows are still trying to change the rules they initially set. Sorry if you can't accept the ownage of most of your games flopping.
Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
Man I can't believe it's not butter.
Funglip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473 Funglip
Member since 2004 • 458 Posts
We should use our own review. (gamefly)
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
It doesn't matter where you go, this isn't the first case of bribed reviews. Money talks everywhere and opinions can be bought, you are naive to believe that any other site will provide a non-biased review.
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

I've said this before I will say it again, GR doesn't work. Never has, never will. In theory it works but if you actually take a second to think about it, you will realize all the inconsistancies amongst the reviews posted there.... to many different review systems, too many different reviewing standards, too much bias amongst more than HALF the publications posted there. More than HALF are owned by a particular console company or are in some major way affiliated with it and give out extremely high scores very often.

Also, think about this. Do you REALLY think that CNET is going to interfere again after what has happened? 1,000 subscriptions were cancelled because of this. That is an INSANE amount of yearly revenue for them. WAY, WAY more than they get from any one advertiser yearly.... CNET would have to be stupid to make a mistake like this again.... Gamespot scores are going to be clean of advertiser influence now because CNET won't even try to push the reviewers to do anything else they will risk another scandal like this and thousands more subscriptions.... And publishers won't do it anymore after see what has happened to Edios with thousands of people boycotting Edios and Edios' website getting bombed with hate posts....

GS should stay.

Broman6015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#476 Broman6015
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts
i say we do away with hype threads and everyone gets their own scores from wherever they want. And then use system wars to discuss/debate games. We cant use GR/Metacritic because an AAA game one week might be AA the next.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Its an anarchy and thus we can individually use what ever we want. Its not an exact rule that we must use GS or GR so all the arguments about what we should use are moot.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478 MikeE21286

i say we do away with hype threads and everyone gets their own scores from wherever they want. And then use system wars to discuss/debate games. We cant use GR/Metacritic because an AAA game one week might be AA the next.Broman6015

yeah, hype system needs to be gone.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479 MikeE21286

i say we do away with hype threads and everyone gets their own scores from wherever they want. And then use system wars to discuss/debate games. We cant use GR/Metacritic because an AAA game one week might be AA the next.Broman6015

yeah, hype system needs to be gone.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#480 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16036 Posts
I think I'm going to use Gametrailers' reviews.
BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481 BreakingPoint8

Its an anarchy and thus we can individually use what ever we want. Its not an exact rule that we must use GS or GR so all the arguments about what we should use are moot.

meetroid8

We use nothing, I personally will no longer accept Game Spot as a foundation for the system wars hype thread. I have defended GS so many times on this issue in the past, I dismissed all allegations of wrong doing, until this happened. Even if nothing has tainted reviews in the past, we CAN NOT over look what is happening.

I say, we change the hype system to "Who has paid the most for advertisements?" and we place bets off the score and "tone" of future reviews.

beat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#482 beat89
Member since 2004 • 870 Posts
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

BreakingPoint8

We use nothing, I personally will no longer accept Game Spot as a foundation for the system wars hype thread. I have defended GS so many times on this issue in the past, I dismissed all allegations of wrong doing, until this happened. Even if nothing has tainted reviews in the past, we CAN NOT over look what is happening.

I say, we change the hype system to "Who has paid the most for advertisements?" and we place bets off the score and "tone" of future reviews.

Agreed, using Gamespot reviews at this point compromises the "game" of System Wars, as now we'll never be entirely sure how the review has been changed behind the scenes.
Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Gamerankings is constantly changing it would get annoying. I know that noone will listen to me, but seriously -- Eurogamer is the best review site out there. The forums are awful though. But all of the reviews are dead on.
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#484 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts

To all you people who keep saying that GR isn't constant, who freaking cares? Most of the games will fall into their AAA, AA, A, and other categories when averaged out. Very few games will scorewise be fluctuating back and forth between thresholds. So it's BS how you all keep harping on the changing due to some games going through it.

All you people who hype games just care that it's AAA, AA, A, etc. Who cares if it's 97% or 94%? It's still AAA.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485 MikeE21286

To all you people who keep saying that GR isn't constant, who freaking cares? Most of the games will fall into their AAA, AA, A, and other categories when averaged out. Very few games will scorewise be fluctuating back and forth between thresholds. So it's BS how you all keep harping on the changing due to some games going through it.

All you people who hype games just care that it's AAA, AA, A, etc. Who cares if it's 97% or 94%? It's still AAA.

Zhengi

The main complaint is that there are instances where a game can start off AAA, then drop to AA, then go back up to AAA.....etc. It would get annoying.

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
[QUOTE="Zhengi"]

MikeE21286

The main complaint is that there are instances where a game can start off AAA, then drop to AA, then go back up to AAA.....etc. It would get annoying.

Right, but this doesn't happen with the majority of games. It happens to a few of them. And even if it did, it just makes it more unpredictable and perhaps even fun seeing a game go from meeting hype to flopping to meeting hype again. Systems wars would explode.

So instead of choosing a system that works with most games, people are going to let the few games that fluctuate between scores be the major detriment?

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts
It doesnt matter what you people vote for here. Its always going to be based on gamespot scores.. I dont see why this has suddenly changed because a guy flamed a game and reviewed it in a very bad manner...
ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#488 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts

It doesnt matter what you people vote for here. Its always going to be based on gamespot scores.. I dont see why this has suddenly changed because a guy flamed a game and reviewed it in a very bad manner...dipper145

The point is, the GS monkey overlords fired Jeff because he gave an honest review... It's not the content we care about, it's the fact that the GS overlords want to take bribes to give games better scores than they deserve...

Frexie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489 Frexie
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts

Ive come to the conslusion that we can't trust ANY major videogaming website.

IGN has had the whole Kane & Lynch babe contest blown to hell over there for the past few weeks, GameSpy is directly affiliated with them, 1up has had and still has ads running for K&L, plus all three of those websites gave K&L at least a 7.0. All GameRankings is going to do is compile all of these questionable scores together. Lets face it, SystemWars is null as far as reviews go.

ssbfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#490 ssbfalco
Member since 2005 • 1970 Posts

Though you know, I do praise what Jeff did. He said it like it was... Just like with the TP review, oh I'm a nintendo fanboy, and I loved the game, but agreed with him on that too...

And you know, if he had to get fired, it's best he did for an honorable cause...

BreakingPoint8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491 BreakingPoint8

It doesnt matter what you people vote for here. Its always going to be based on gamespot scores.. I dont see why this has suddenly changed because a guy flamed a game and reviewed it in a very bad manner...dipper145
It does matter, obviously. Change is going to happen and not just to how System Wars operates.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/01/ziff-davis-staff-holds-impromptu-gamespot-rally/

http://www.gamespot.com/users/AaronThomas/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234883

http://www.gamespot.com/users/AlexN/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234567

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Bethany/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234794

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Carrie/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234233

http://www.gamespot.com/users/GregK/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25235127

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Kevin-V/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25234747

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Richie-G/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25233965

http://www.gamespot.com/users/Ryan/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25235387

Shomb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492 Shomb22
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
GS is kind enough to give us an average score on games.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

Why not what I think of the game.

Face it people this is nothing new, all sites do this BS.

It's the reason why I just give smirks when I hear people using reviews to pwn one another.

Frexie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494 Frexie
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts

Why not what I think of the game.

Face it people this is nothing new, all sites do this BS.

It's the reason why I just give smirks when I hear people using reviews to pwn one another.

Gunraidan
True, but alas, thanks to this tradegy I feel like an idiot now for defending editors when they gave out reviews that the majority was unhappy with. IGN, GS, GameSpy, 1up, etc. all have zero cred in my opinion now because I know they all had some money-under-the-table mess going on. Looks like i'll have to go back to my PS1-era kid method of buying and playing games, judging a game just by the cover, heh.
NuclearKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#495 NuclearKidX
Member since 2007 • 339 Posts
This needs to be stickied
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#496 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

True, but alas, thanks to this tradegy I feel like an idiot now for defending editors when they gave out reviews that the majority was unhappy with. IGN, GS, GameSpy, 1up, etc. all have zero cred in my opinion now because I know they all had some money-under-the-table mess going on. Looks like i'll have to go back to my PS1-era kid method of buying and playing games, judging a game just by the cover, heh.Frexie

Why not use the method of looking up a game through previews or info. in magazines or sites and if it looks interesting buy it?

Look I know everyone is in a shellshock of what's been happening but honestly do other sites not do the same?

This is why I don't pay attention to review scores they in no way determine a games quality. The recent Fire Emblem and Castlevania got points knocked down for being "too hardcore". So if a game gives the gaming enthuiasts their fix they get lowered for being "too good of a game"? Review scores have never been based off of quality but sheer appealing, and it's done this way to not only keep the advertisers happy but the site users happy. Every time a hyped game gets a bad score the forums explode. "Mass Effect didn't get AAA?!", "OMFG at Uncharted!", etc. People complain about gaming today being all flash and no substance yet they complain when games get low score and with the explination being all flash and no substance people complain. :|

Think about this for a sec. are the games that get AAA on this site and other sites in general are those really the best games you've played? I found myself rolling my eyes when playing Bioshock, New Super Mario Bros., and Halo 3. Why isn't Zone of the Enders 2 highly regarded in the gaming community? Why isn't Red Orchestra highly regarded in the gaming community? Why isn't Digimon World (play the game before laughing) highly regared in the gaming community? It seems that in todays world if you want a hit within gaming all you need to do is hype the hell out of it, put some neat special effects, have it play slightly above average, and viola you have a legend of a gaming generation. What happened to picking the games that appeal to you most or looked the most intresting instead of simply following what everyone else is interested in, trying to show off with your l33t gaming collection, or jumping ship onto the next big thing?

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts
omg almost 800 members vote 0.o
spidey008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#498 spidey008
Member since 2002 • 2309 Posts
I think as a community we should move away from Gamespot altogether. We need someone to lead a revolt to move to another site or create one ourselves.
Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#499 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Why hasn't Gamespot posted news / some blog regarding this recent unfortunate event to dear Jeff? Do they not see the uproar they have caused, and the amount of subscribers they are about to lose? Is anyone paying any attention out THAR?
Realtop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500 Realtop
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

How can a single opinion determinate the quality of a game?It would be better if we switch to gamerankings.