The Witcher 2 Leaked Online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#251 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Actually at $50 an hour if we assume that they work for 8 hours a day, then they would be making around $96000. The median income in the US (for those who have a bachelors degree or higher) was around $50000 (this data is based on the US Census of 2006), so in around 6 years, due to inflation as well as wage increases and etc, the median income will also have increased. Now I should have worded myself better, there is a decent amount of people (in the case of US more than 50%) that make more than 50k a year. So it is not unrealistic to expect that an individual will make around that area, and if not, then if we do take account the median household income (which would probably be a bit more than a 100k), then we would expect that the household as a whole generates on average more than $50 per hour. If you are a top US lawyer, you will be earning much, much more than $50 per hour, and if you are say an investment banker, their salary will be around (300k, once they have been an analyst for around 3 years (data based on quick google search so may be inaccurate)). This would mean that they earn around $80 per hour. The number may seem smaller than one expects, but thats given that the average work week for someone in that field is around 80 hours a week. Anyway lol sorry i got of trackLucianu

US ain't the world, i make like 300$ a month.. But i can afford gaming, because i can do other stuff besides working to get my money. You gotta be smart to make money. Sell 'ish, grab oportunities wen they come, etc.

And college ain't gonna do jack *** if you can't find a job based on the profession you choose, which is hard.. its even harder if you have 0 relations were you need to have them. 90% of my co-workers ( 26 - 40 years) have a college, but they can't find anything based on what they studied, so they work night shifts in some stupid place that only needs highschool.

Have some colleagues who did doctorates in film studies, thought they'd be the next Spielberg and all that.

Sucks for them to be working graveyard shifts at massive chains on a minimum wage lol.

Degrees aren't everything, apparently :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#252 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Like Valve and Blizzard games, this is just something you just don't pirate. Its sad that games like this get leaked. Hopefully not pirated too much. Even on the torrent page there is a huge proportion of people telling not to pirate it.

WilliamRLBaker

what kind of logic is that? this is just something you DON'T pirate? it comes down to a point that nothing should be pirated... individual games based upon a companies standing and whether people like them... thats just falacy.

Allow me to clarify, this is one of those games where even in pirate communities it is looked down upon to pirate. I was in no way whatsoever condoning piracy.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Like Valve and Blizzard games, this is just something you just don't pirate. Its sad that games like this get leaked. Hopefully not pirated too much. Even on the torrent page there is a huge proportion of people telling not to pirate it.

ferret-gamer

what kind of logic is that? this is just something you DON'T pirate? it comes down to a point that nothing should be pirated... individual games based upon a companies standing and whether people like them... thats just falacy.

Allow me to clarify, this is one of those games where even in pirate communities it is looked down upon to pirate. I was in no way whatsoever condoning piracy.

Yeah its hard to explain without making it sound bad. But most games are pirated for a set of reasons, a set of complaints. None of those complaints are valid here.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. FrozenLiquid

Lol, what the hell. How many people earn $50 an hour? I'm not from the U.S, but using that as an example, you need to be a top U.S lawyer to even earn close to $50 an hour.

At $50 an hour a full time job earns you around $145,000 a year.

Gaming as a hobby is relatively expensive, even if it was your primary hobby (then it would be considered an investment).

Nevertheless, anything to do with piracy or illegitimate possession also peeves me off.

Regardless i don't buy the price excuse at all without a constant source of income i have accumulated close to 300 pc games these past 3 1/2 years brand new by shopping smart i wait for games to go on sale and prices to drop overtime very rarely buying a game at full price unless it was already at a budget price to begin with like indie games. You don't need anywhere near a 6 figure salary to be able to afford to buy alot of games at least in the U.S.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#255 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. DJ_Headshot

Lol, what the hell. How many people earn $50 an hour? I'm not from the U.S, but using that as an example, you need to be a top U.S lawyer to even earn close to $50 an hour.

At $50 an hour a full time job earns you around $145,000 a year.

Gaming as a hobby is relatively expensive, even if it was your primary hobby (then it would be considered an investment).

Nevertheless, anything to do with piracy or illegitimate possession also peeves me off.

Regardless i don't buy the price excuse at all without a constant source of income i have accumulated close to 300 pc games these past 3 1/2 years brand new by shopping smart i wait for games to go on sale and prices to drop overtime very rarely buying a game at full price unless it was already at a budget price to begin with like indie games. You don't need anywhere near a 6 figure salary to be able to afford to buy alot of games at least in the U.S.

I didn't say that.

The original argument: You can buy The Witcher at $50 through one hour's wage.

My argument: Not for most people, no.

That was all.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#256 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] what kind of logic is that? this is just something you DON'T pirate? it comes down to a point that nothing should be pirated... individual games based upon a companies standing and whether people like them... thats just falacy.

110million

Pirating other games shouldn't be more valid than pirating The Witchor. Really, I don't have a personal vendetta against pirates, but the Robin Hood-ers are especially irksome. Yeah its hard to explain without making it sound bad. But most games are pirated for a set of reasons, a set of complaints. None of those complaints are valid here.

Pirating other games shouldn't be more valid than pirating the Witchor. Really, I don't have a personal vendetta against pirates, but the Robin Hood-ers are especially irksome.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Think of it as a demo.:twisted:

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Allow me to clarify, this is one of those games where even in pirate communities it is looked down upon to pirate. I was in no way whatsoever condoning piracy.SkyWard20

Pirating other games shouldn't be more valid than pirating The Witchor. Really, I don't have a personal vendetta against pirates, but the Robin Hood-ers are especially irksome. Yeah its hard to explain without making it sound bad. But most games are pirated for a set of reasons, a set of complaints. None of those complaints are valid here.

Pirating other games shouldn't be more valid than pirating the Witchor. Really, I don't have a personal vendetta against pirates, but the Robin Hood-ers are especially irksome.

I disagree though. I don't personally think that pirating is morally acceptable in general, but pirating one game is different from pirating another. Lets take for example an indie game, a couple of guys made a game, it may have some innovative ideas, and they might make 50 cents off every sale. Pirating that seems pretty horrible, when they likely dedicated unpayed hobby time to making it. Take Call of Duty where everyone is payed while making the game, and pirating it doesn't really seem as bad. You're still getting for free what took thousands of man hours, but those people were already payed quite nicely. In the middle, there is these European sort of developers, The Witcher 2 has an 8 million dollar budget, a small fraction of most western releases, this means they don't pay their employees as much, would be the most likely scenerio. On top of that, when you consider complaints about "dumbing down" and "PC got short end of the stick" along with "horrible DRM that ruins the game for those who played it", these things are excuses a lot of pirates use, they may not be valid, but they do try to use them anyways. The Witcher 2 has a DRM free version, its fully a PC game and is an improvement on the original in every way based off the previews, review, and content we've seen. They have gone out of their way to make the PC gamer experience as smooth as possible, even if you purchased the title. Does it seem more more unethical to pirate a game with a developer who makes less money, and goes out of their way to make the best game they can, for the gamers who supported them (i.e PC gamers got them where they are today, so they improve the game based on PC gamer opinions, unlike say Bioware, who would not have existed today as a company without PC gamers, but continues to take input solely from console gamers). I think it is different. Is it always immoral to pirate? Yes. Is it equal in all situations? Hell no.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Well, even if that is the case, the same source says that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pirated almost 4 million times (3,960,000), but was pirated some number less than 930,000 on Xbox 360 since it failed to make the Top 5. What has Battlefield Bad Company 2 done to piss off the PC community?

Mass Effect 2 at 3.2+ million, The Sims 3 at 3.2 million+, StarCraft 2 at 3.1+ million... if it was really about PC gamers being pissed off, Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed 2 should've been at the top of the list. I think the reality is the games that get pirated multimillion times on PC are just simply the most popular games among PC gamers.

SakusEnvoy

@SC2, I wonder how many of those people were using the vastly faster torrent to get their game legit rather than the blizz updater? It's not like there's much to do if you pirate it.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="SkyWard20"]

[QUOTE="110million"] Pirating other games shouldn't be more valid than pirating The Witchor. Really, I don't have a personal vendetta against pirates, but the Robin Hood-ers are especially irksome. Yeah its hard to explain without making it sound bad. But most games are pirated for a set of reasons, a set of complaints. None of those complaints are valid here. 110million

I disagree though. I don't personally think that pirating is morally acceptable in general, but pirating one game is different from pirating another. Lets take for example an indie game, a couple of guys made a game, it may have some innovative ideas, and they might make 50 cents off every sale. Pirating that seems pretty horrible, when they likely dedicated unpayed hobby time to making it. Take Call of Duty where everyone is payed while making the game, and pirating it doesn't really seem as bad. You're still getting for free what took thousands of man hours, but those people were already payed quite nicely. In the middle, there is these European sort of developers, The Witcher 2 has an 8 million dollar budget, a small fraction of most western releases, this means they don't pay their employees as much, would be the most likely scenerio. On top of that, when you consider complaints about "dumbing down" and "PC got short end of the stick" along with "horrible DRM that ruins the game for those who played it", these things are excuses a lot of pirates use, they may not be valid, but they do try to use them anyways. The Witcher 2 has a DRM free version, its fully a PC game and is an improvement on the original in every way based off the previews, review, and content we've seen. They have gone out of their way to make the PC gamer experience as smooth as possible, even if you purchased the title. Does it seem more more unethical to pirate a game with a developer who makes less money, and goes out of their way to make the best game they can, for the gamers who supported them (i.e PC gamers got them where they are today, so they improve the game based on PC gamer opinions, unlike say Bioware, who would not have existed today as a company without PC gamers, but continues to take input solely from console gamers). I think it is different. Is it always immoral to pirate? Yes. Is it equal in all situations? Hell no.

But it looks like whether the game in question is actually good doesn't enter the topic of discussion. It's always about how much feedback a developer takes in or how 'starving' artists need to make money, when catering to 'what the fans want' is not always the best decision.

Supporting only indie developers or new developers means ignoring how much those 'big corporations' who 'have enough money' actually drive the industry. They are obviously the main source for most of our games. Investing in an already profitable business rather than in a growing one seems more practical when it comes to getting some kind of 'return'( if you could call it that here ), in this case in the form of quality video game titles.

So helping indie developers/growing businesses while backstabbing larger corporations seems awfully hypocritical when it's there we get most of our games from, a lot of which are regarded as quality titles by the mainstream gaming media.

Those rich corporate guys we pay may not be getting a lot more poorer, but they can stop making games for us all the same.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]Well, even if that is the case, the same source says that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pirated almost 4 million times (3,960,000), but was pirated some number less than 930,000 on Xbox 360 since it failed to make the Top 5. What has Battlefield Bad Company 2 done to piss off the PC community?

Mass Effect 2 at 3.2+ million, The Sims 3 at 3.2 million+, StarCraft 2 at 3.1+ million... if it was really about PC gamers being pissed off, Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed 2 should've been at the top of the list. I think the reality is the games that get pirated multimillion times on PC are just simply the most popular games among PC gamers.

Inconsistancy

@SC2, I wonder how many of those people were using the vastly faster torrent to get their game legit rather than the blizz updater? It's not like there's much to do if you pirate it.

I pointed this out a couple times earlier when people brought it up - the 3.1 million Starcraft 2 is a separate cracked release with its own tracker, NOT the Blizzard tracker with the 'official' downloader. The original articles that brought it up even noted as much, basically saying 'we have no idea how many people downloaded the official SC2 client via torrents.'
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

[QUOTE="Obiwan317"]

I'll buy the game twice.

Steam(already have it) and CE.(pre ordered)

Elann2008

Seeing as how I cant get a refund from D2D, I might buy another copy for the CE version. I want that sculpture. :P Hopefully I could find a friend who can/want to play The Witcher 2. :D

Oh you cant get a refund from d2d? I wanted to buy a physical copy or steam or gog copy, I just applied for a refund too bad.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#263 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts
People bring in BC2, but that has the most players on PC, and sold most on PC. They also made the most money on PC, thanks to the EA store and the fact that Digital Downloads offer a higher return rate. Those people that pirated it got a mediocre 6 hour campaign.
NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

People bring in BC2, but that has the most players on PC, and sold most on PC. They also made the most money on PC, thanks to the EA store and the fact that Digital Downloads offer a higher return rate. Those people that pirated it got a mediocre 6 hour campaign. GeneralShowzer

This

Im sure the witcher 2 devs still have faith in the pc community, this just proves a pirate will pirate a game no matter if there is drm or not and should not be considered part of the gaming community, who would want to pirate the witcher 2 when you can get it for 33$