The Witcher 2 Leaked Online

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="malikmmm"] so the person who leaked that was a pc gamer in your opinion ? :roll: right....malikmmm

It was pirated via PC. Therefore a PC pirate. Who do you think pirated it...aliens with laser pistols and infrared data collection technology? Can bigfoot use a computer now?

that is one of the most lamest comment i have ever seen here on gamespot forums since 2003. DONT you get it or do you even read comments before quoting someone? ? so tell me people who pirate console games are in your opinion "pc pirates too" ? since it was pirated on pc ?

Someone who pirates a PC game is a PC pirate. It's not that complex.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#202 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Link?DroidPhysX

Here.

Holy...:shock:

Yeah...

and the DS has some pretty high numbers as well. Now,considering that it´s a lot easier to pirate on the PC,I think the PSP problem is even worse.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#203 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Link?GeneralShowzer

Here.

I think that DS piracy is close to PC piracy, if not bigger.I've read something about it...

There´s a link to the DS piracy numbers on that page,but they´re not as high as the PSP,but still pretty bad.

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="malikmmm"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]It was pirated via PC. Therefore a PC pirate. Who do you think pirated it...aliens with laser pistols and infrared data collection technology? Can bigfoot use a computer now?

KC_Hokie

that is one of the most lamest comment i have ever seen here on gamespot forums since 2003. DONT you get it or do you even read comments before quoting someone? ? so tell me people who pirate console games are in your opinion "pc pirates too" ? since it was pirated on pc ?

and someone who pirates a console game is also a pc pirate ? according to you since it was pirated via pc ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#205 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Piracy is bigger problem on PC than any other platform. PC developers have acknowledged this. Rampant PC piracy is the biggest flaw of PC gaming. KC_Hokie

Having more piracy does not make console piracy nonexistent. ANd if you check a torrent site the leak of witcher 2 has alot less people downloading it than brink on the 360. A game that got leaked early on the 360.

I said piracy was a bigger problem on PCs than any other platform. No more, no less.

So you just chose to ignore his post and put that broken record of a comment? Ignoring him completely when you dont have a response would probably be more effective.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"] Having more piracy does not make console piracy nonexistent. ANd if you check a torrent site the leak of witcher 2 has alot less people downloading it than brink on the 360. A game that got leaked early on the 360.

ferret-gamer

I said piracy was a bigger problem on PCs than any other platform. No more, no less.

So you just chose to ignore his post and put that broken record of a comment?

I simply stated PC pirating is worse than any other platform (which is true). Not sure how bringing up other piracy changes that.

That's like talking about the country with the highest crime rate then pointing out there is crime somewhere else. OK, but doesn't change the original point.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#207 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Well that sucks. This another reason to go digital only tbh.

SAGE_OF_FIRE
That doesn't make any sense..

Retail copies are what is being leaked, they have to ship the game to retail stores prior to release.

But a digital copy won't stop piracy. :?
trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#208 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

I wonder if its too late to cancel my preorder and save myself $45?

Just kidding :P

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"][QUOTE="xsubtownerx"] That doesn't make any sense..

Retail copies are what is being leaked, they have to ship the game to retail stores prior to release.

But a digital copy won't stop piracy. :?

Especially since the majority of leaks seem to be retailers and early sales in countries with less laws.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
That sucks. Hope it doesn't affect their sales too badly.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

Yeah, Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 were both pirated 4+ million times within 2 months of their release.

Within that same two month period the Xbox 360 version of Black Ops and MW2 was pirated 930,000 and 970,000 times, respectively. So it's really closer to "one-fourth" rather than "one-eighth".

The frustrating thing about PC piracy is just that popular games are usually pirated well in excess of sales numbers. Whereas with consoles, sales numbers usually well exceed the number of pirated copies.

Bebi_vegeta

I hate the COD example since they pissed the PC community badly. It's like taking the worst example out of PC negative part and making it like it was representatif of the whole PC gaming.

But it's not an excuse, it's too bad. Either the game gets pirated on PC or consoles... it's a shame.

Well, even if that is the case, the same source says that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pirated almost 4 million times (3,960,000), but was pirated some number less than 930,000 on Xbox 360 since it failed to make the Top 5. What has Battlefield Bad Company 2 done to piss off the PC community?

Mass Effect 2 at 3.2+ million, The Sims 3 at 3.2 million+, StarCraft 2 at 3.1+ million... if it was really about PC gamers being pissed off, Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed 2 should've been at the top of the list. I think the reality is the games that get pirated multimillion times on PC are just simply the most popular games among PC gamers.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I'm updating my Enhanced Edition.

I got it for 7 bucks.Can't wait.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#213 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="malikmmm"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]It was pirated via PC. Therefore a PC pirate. Who do you think pirated it...aliens with laser pistols and infrared data collection technology? Can bigfoot use a computer now?

KC_Hokie

I know what he's saying and I agree with him. You really need to read what he's writing.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]It was pirated via PC. Therefore a PC pirate. Who do you think pirated it...aliens with laser pistols and infrared data collection technology? Can bigfoot use a computer now?

KC_Hokie

So what about console games, software, and handheld games?

A pirate is a pirate. No changing that. Useless to single them out.

Piracy is bigger problem on PC than any other platform. PC developers have acknowledged this. Rampant PC piracy is the biggest flaw of PC gaming.

No its not. NDS and PSP have it beat easily.

Cost and customer awareness is the biggest flaw holding PC gaming back, not piracy.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61548 Posts

I already bought the game a few days ago. I won't download it until the day of release.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="malikmmm"] that is one of the most lamest comment i have ever seen here on gamespot forums since 2003. DONT you get it or do you even read comments before quoting someone? ? so tell me people who pirate console games are in your opinion "pc pirates too" ? since it was pirated on pc ?-Unreal-

I know what he's saying and I agree with him. You really need to read what he's writing.

You guys are going to be going around and around with him until the game releases. He doesn't really read reply's to posts he makes..
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
omg no, i dont care there is no reason why I or anyone else should pirate this game, we all know it will be a great epic game and just no, they dont deserve it.. they put a ton of effort into this game
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 SakusEnvoy

[QUOTE="Arach666"]

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Link?GeneralShowzer

Here.

I think that DS piracy is close to PC piracy, if not bigger.I've read something about it...

Well, that same report put the DS's most pirated game at 2,071,006 illegal downloads (Pokemon Platinum); that's well below the PC and PSP's maximum. [link] If DS piracy is rampant, it is generally around the 1 million mark or below.

The DS seems to be somewhere inbetween PC/PSP levels and Xbox 360/Wii levels.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#219 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

May any pirate that pirates this game **** burn in hell. i swear to **** god. **** BASTARDS **** !

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#220 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Unlike leaked console games, you can't play The Witcher 2 until a crack is available after the release date. We legitimate buyers will still be the first ones to play the game. :D

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#221 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

But a digital copy won't stop piracy. :?xsubtownerx

It won't but it does stop pre-release leaks.

Vambran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Vambran
Member since 2005 • 1921 Posts

I hope some some buddy fills the torrents full of mal-ware, and steals all the pirates money with key loggers. That would be justice.

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#223 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

There goes The Witcher 2's P.C market :( . PC pirates've no loyalty towards The Witcher 2 . CD Projekt better hurry with console release of The Witcher 2 ( Money , Fame awaits in console market ) :)

indzman

Wow. Really?

Yeah , its a fact .

Crytek learnt in the hard way with Crysis . See Crysis 2 now and its a commercial success :)

i thought it was selling like crap on all 3 platforms. then crytek blamed everything on pc pirates.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

May any pirate that pirates this game **** burn in hell. i swear to **** god. **** BASTARDS **** !

argetlam00
You need to take a break from video games young chap.
slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

It would be good for your computers health to avoid such things ;)

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Unlike leaked console games, you can't play The Witcher 2 until a crack is available after the release date. We legitimate buyers will still be the first ones to play the game. :D

RyuRanVII
That and the leaked version is ONLY in russian.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

Yeah, Call of Duty Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 were both pirated 4+ million times within 2 months of their release.

Within that same two month period the Xbox 360 version of Black Ops and MW2 was pirated 930,000 and 970,000 times, respectively. So it's really closer to "one-fourth" rather than "one-eighth".

The frustrating thing about PC piracy is just that popular games are usually pirated well in excess of sales numbers. Whereas with consoles, sales numbers usually well exceed the number of pirated copies.

SakusEnvoy

I hate the COD example since they pissed the PC community badly. It's like taking the worst example out of PC negative part and making it like it was representatif of the whole PC gaming.

But it's not an excuse, it's too bad. Either the game gets pirated on PC or consoles... it's a shame.

Well, even if that is the case, the same source says that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pirated almost 4 million times (3,960,000), but was pirated some number less than 930,000 on Xbox 360 since it failed to make the Top 5. What has Battlefield Bad Company 2 done to piss off the PC community?

Mass Effect 2 at 3.2+ million, The Sims 3 at 3.2 million+, StarCraft 2 at 3.1+ million... if it was really about PC gamers being pissed off, Ubisoft games like Assassin's Creed 2 should've been at the top of the list. I think the reality is the games that get pirated multimillion times on PC are just simply the most popular games among PC gamers.

LOL, well BF2BC is not a real Battlefeild PC game if you know what I mean. But yeah, popular games do get pirated alot, and also get bought alot... except for COD?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#228 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Just in time for my birthday.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

LOL, well BF2BC is not a real Battlefeild PC game if you know what I mean. But yeah, popular games do get pirated alot, and also get bought alot... except for COD?

All I can say about BC2 numbers is that it doesn't matter. Pirates can't play online and who the hell in their right-mind would bother more than 5 minutes with the SP?

And SC2 was not pirated 3 million times. Many use torrents to get games early or for faster downloads (Blizzard uses torrents FFS) and this doesn't count people who start/stop and try multiple torrent links.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26652 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Do PC gamers care? Forget generosity. It's going to be pirated to hell and back. Even though I am buying it on PC, I say bring on the Console version. If there were a PS3 or 360 version I would've bought it on either of those first. Though I think this pretty much ensures a Console version at some point.

Puckhog04

Well I beleive any company wants to make more money, so bringing the game to console only makes sense.

But, that has nothing to do with pirating the game... Because games are just as pirated before they are release on console too.

True, games are pirated on consoles as well. Though not even 1/8 of what is pirated on PC. You do not have games getting pirated 4 million times on a Console. Most of these games sell better on Consoles because of the fact that pirating is rare when compared to PC pirating. But, yes, Console games are pirated as well. It's just a shame CDProjekt is going to lose money like this. I'm actually picking up Witcher 2 next week, it looks great.

What game was pirated 4 million times?
FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#231 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

True, games are pirated on consoles as well. Though not even 1/8 of what is pirated on PC. You do not have games getting pirated 4 million times on a Console. Most of these games sell better on Consoles because of the fact that pirating is rare when compared to PC pirating. But, yes, Console games are pirated as well. It's just a shame CDProjekt is going to lose money like this. I'm actually picking up Witcher 2 next week, it looks great.

DragonfireXZ95

What game was pirated 4 million times?

Sid Meier's Pirates!

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="agpickle"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

There goes The Witcher 2's P.C market :( . PC pirates've no loyalty towards The Witcher 2 . CD Projekt better hurry with console release of The Witcher 2 ( Money , Fame awaits in console market ) :)

yellosnolvr

Wow. Really?

Yeah , its a fact .

Crytek learnt in the hard way with Crysis . See Crysis 2 now and its a commercial success :)

Crysis and Crysis Warhead has sold over 5 million on PC. Crysis 2 has sold less than half that on 3 platforms! Oh yes a big commercial success, considering they had a bigger budget this time.

ducati101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 ducati101
Member since 2004 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

And yet Bad Company 2 has sold more on the PC now. Add the fact that the PC version gives them a much bigger slice of the profit, compared to the console versions.

Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

Not a big deal, considering many pc games and now console games are leaked before release. Also, it is in russian and unplayable, so it's less a leak and more some extra gigabytes on your hard disk right now. I do hope however somebody catches the idiots and puts them in jail. guys like these give Pc gamers a bad name.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 SakusEnvoy

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"] Well, even if that is the case, the same source says that Battlefield Bad Company 2 was pirated almost 4 million times (3,960,000), but was pirated some number less than 930,000 on Xbox 360 since it failed to make the Top 5. What has Battlefield Bad Company 2 done to piss off the PC community?

ducati101

And yet Bad Company 2 has sold more on the PC now. Add the fact that the PC version gives them a much bigger slice of the profit, compared to the console versions.

Well, I was just trying to establish piracy trends. I do think the PC is a poor platform on which to protect one's intellectual property compared to the Xbox 360/Playstation 3, but I would never argue the PC is a poor platform on which to sell a title. PC games can still be successful.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 jonathant5
Member since 2010 • 873 Posts
Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="ducati101"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

SakusEnvoy

Well, I was just trying to establish piracy trends. I do think the PC is a poor platform on which to protect one's intellectual property compared to the Xbox 360/Playstation 3, but I would never argue the PC is a poor platform on which to sell a title. PC games can still be successful.

If games really didn't garner any success on the PC platform, why would so many devs take extra time and care to port them over? Example, Capcom with their graphical upgrades? Or Battlefield with more players, bigger maps and graphical upgrades? Or Fallout New Vegas with it's modding ability, upgraded graphics? Not too mention when they take extra care with the controls for the keyboard/mouse.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 DragonfireXZ95

Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. jonathant5

Wait, did you just say that many individuals make 50+ dollars an hour? Lmao, that's like 5-10% of America, and the only people that make that kind of money are either lucky or been in the business(with constant promotion) for like 20+ years.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 FrozenLiquid

Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. jonathant5

Lol, what the hell. How many people earn $50 an hour? I'm not from the U.S, but using that as an example, you need to be a top U.S lawyer to even earn close to $50 an hour.

At $50 an hour a full time job earns you around $145,000 a year.

Gaming as a hobby is relatively expensive, even if it was your primary hobby (then it would be considered an investment).

Nevertheless, anything to do with piracy or illegitimate possession also peeves me off.

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 jonathant5

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. FrozenLiquid

Lol, what the hell. How many people earn $50 an hour? I'm not from the U.S, but using that as an example, you need to be a top U.S lawyer to even earn close to $50 an hour.

Gaming as a hobby is relatively expensive, even if it was your primary hobby (then it would be considered an investment).

Nevertheless, anything to do with piracy or illegitimate possession also peeves me off.

Actually at $50 an hour if we assume that they work for 8 hours a day, then they would be making around $96000. The median income in the US (for those who have a bachelors degree or higher) was around $50000 (this data is based on the US Census of 2006), so in around 6 years, due to inflation as well as wage increases and etc, the median income will also have increased. Now I should have worded myself better, there is a decent amount of people (in the case of US more than 50%) that make more than 50k a year. So it is not unrealistic to expect that an individual will make around that area, and if not, then if we do take account the median household income (which would probably be a bit more than a 100k), then we would expect that the household as a whole generates on average more than $50 per hour. If you are a top US lawyer, you will be earning much, much more than $50 per hour, and if you are say an investment banker, their salary will be around (300k, once they have been an analyst for around 3 years (data based on quick google search so may be inaccurate)). This would mean that they earn around $80 per hour. The number may seem smaller than one expects, but thats given that the average work week for someone in that field is around 80 hours a week. Anyway lol sorry i got of track
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

im going the buying route for sure :D

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. jonathant5

Actually at $50 an hour if we assume that they work for 8 hours a day, then they would be making around $96000. The median income in the US (for those who have a bachelors degree or higher) was around $50000 (this data is based on the US Census of 2006), so in around 6 years, due to inflation as well as wage increases and etc, the median income will also have increased. Now I should have worded myself better, there is a decent amount of people (in the case of US more than 50%) that make more than 50k a year. So it is not unrealistic to expect that an individual will make around that area, and if not, then if we do take account the median household income (which would probably be a bit more than a 100k), then we would expect that the household as a whole generates on average more than $50 per hour. If you are a top US lawyer, you will be earning much, much more than $50 per hour, and if you are say an investment banker, their salary will be around (300k, once they have been an analyst for around 3 years (data based on quick google search so may be inaccurate)). This would mean that they earn around $80 per hour. The number may seem smaller than one expects, but thats given that the average work week for someone in that field is around 80 hours a week. Anyway lol sorry i got of track

If you earned $50,000 a year, and you worked an 8 hour day on a 5 day week, you would earn $24 an hour. I'll break it down for you:

$24 x 8 (1 day) = $192

$192 x 5 (one week) = $960

$960 x 52 (1 year) = $49920

In order to obtain that $50 / hour wage you're presupposing, you would need to earn over $100,000 a year. If the median as you said is at $50,000, I'm willing to bet that those earning over $100,000 a year are in a small percentile of the entire normal distribution of salaries earned across the U.S. Thus only a small number of Americans will be able to afford The Witcher 2 with one hour's worth of pay.

That being said, if you're earning $50 a week fresh out of college, then bloody hell I think everyone wants to be you :P. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we're going to have to start a little smaller!

jonathant5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 jonathant5

[QUOTE="jonathant5"][QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

FrozenLiquid

If you earned $50,000 a year, and you worked an 8 hour day on a 5 day week, you would earn $24 an hour. I'll break it down for you:

$24 x 8 (1 day) = $192

$192 x 5 (one week) = $960

$960 x 52 (1 year) = $49920

In order to obtain that $50 / hour wage you're presupposing, you would need to earn over $100,000 a year. If the median as you said is at $50,000, I'm willing to bet that those earning over $100,000 a year are in a small percentile of the entire normal distribution of salaries earned across the U.S. Thus only a small number of Americans will be able to afford The Witcher 2 with one hour's worth of pay.

That being said, if you're earning $50 a week fresh out of college, then bloody hell I think everyone wants to be you :P. Unfortunately for the rest of us, we're going to have to start a little smaller!

Oh $50 an hour fresh out of college is a bit unrealistic, even out of the IVY's, which is not to say that it does not happen, but it happens to a relatively small percentage, hell if I manage to make that once I graduate I'll be very happy. I assumed that (and looking back it may have been a bad assumption and the argument based on numbers that I quickly found on google) although assuming a 50-55 ish annual salary in 2005, that would increase to around 70k (assuming an annual increase of 5% per year). But anyway yeah thinking about it now, the statement was a stupid one based on these numbers, rather than looking at the income distribution where only 10% of the population makes more than around 82k. But yeah lol bad argument/statement, should have thought about it more before I posted :p.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Like Valve and Blizzard games, this is just something you just don't pirate. Its sad that games like this get leaked. Hopefully not pirated too much. Even on the torrent page there is a huge proportion of people telling not to pirate it.

ferret-gamer

what kind of logic is that? this is just something you DON'T pirate? it comes down to a point that nothing should be pirated... individual games based upon a companies standing and whether people like them... thats just falacy.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. FrozenLiquid

Auto workers earn close to $33/hr including benefits. A top US lawyer would cost you $500+/hr. Don't confuse yourself.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#246 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

Like Valve and Blizzard games, this is just something you just don't pirate. Its sad that games like this get leaked. Hopefully not pirated too much. Even on the torrent page there is a huge proportion of people telling not to pirate it.

WilliamRLBaker

what kind of logic is that? this is just something you DON'T pirate? it comes down to a point that nothing should be pirated... individual games based upon a companies standing and whether people like them... thats just falacy.

I agree. Piracy is piracy.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#247 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Actually at $50 an hour if we assume that they work for 8 hours a day, then they would be making around $96000. The median income in the US (for those who have a bachelors degree or higher) was around $50000 (this data is based on the US Census of 2006), so in around 6 years, due to inflation as well as wage increases and etc, the median income will also have increased. Now I should have worded myself better, there is a decent amount of people (in the case of US more than 50%) that make more than 50k a year. So it is not unrealistic to expect that an individual will make around that area, and if not, then if we do take account the median household income (which would probably be a bit more than a 100k), then we would expect that the household as a whole generates on average more than $50 per hour. If you are a top US lawyer, you will be earning much, much more than $50 per hour, and if you are say an investment banker, their salary will be around (300k, once they have been an analyst for around 3 years (data based on quick google search so may be inaccurate)). This would mean that they earn around $80 per hour. The number may seem smaller than one expects, but thats given that the average work week for someone in that field is around 80 hours a week. Anyway lol sorry i got of trackjonathant5

US ain't the world, i make like 300$ a month.. But i can afford gaming, because i can do other stuff besides working to get my money. You gotta be smart to make money. Sell 'ish, grab oportunities wen they come, etc.

And college ain't gonna do jack *** if you can't find a job based on the profession you choose, which is hard.. its even harder if you have 0 relations were you need to have them. 90% of my co-workers ( 26 - 40 years) have a college, but they can't find anything based on what they studied, so they work night shifts in some stupid place that only needs highschool.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"]

WilliamRLBaker

I think it comes down to respect. If people respect a company they are less likely to pirate.

If a company shows no repect to its fanbase it tends to get pirated more.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#249 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

I've never seen anything like this happen before!!

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 FrozenLiquid

[QUOTE="FrozenLiquid"]

[QUOTE="jonathant5"]Man this is disgusting, a developer who truly has a passion for what they are making and listen to the fans and care about the fans, yet some cheap **** pirate the damn game, its despicable. If you are poor and cant afford t buy a game, maybe gaming is not or should not be your hobby. Hell the game only costs $50, which is less than the hourly salary of many individuals (and technically if you went to a good college/university and put effort in, you should be having no problem making that money per hour). Anyway, disgusting, but hell i'll buy the game when (as soon as) it comes out, even though I probably wont have the time to play it till the end of August. Dynafrom

Auto workers earn close to $33/hr including benefits. A top US lawyer would cost you $500+/hr. Don't confuse yourself.

I don't think I'm confusing myself? lol

$33 an hour is a damn decent wage, but it ain't $50 an hour.

As for the lawyer thing, I was talking about a lawyer's salary, not a private hire.

It would be good if you could ask to clarify before assuming I reckon.